Thread: Should Darts be an Olympic sport?

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Should Darts be an Olympic sport?

Do you think this sport should be part of the Olympics?

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Should Darts be an Olympic sport?

Nah...To me, I've seen the Olympics as more of a place where sports that require great physical exertion should be featured..As opposed to dart-throwing which to me, is fun to do but how would it be integrated into the Olympics? I mean, besides the accuracy of it, that's to me its biggest selling point....The same goes for other sports such as golf, NASCAR driving and croquet...When those are all put into the Olympics then I think that darts wouldn't have a problem getting in..Till that happens though, nope, no dart throwing in the Olympics. Though I could always be wrong, which is fun.

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that archery and shooting are already in I don't see why not. Darts is more popular than both of those.

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

considering that Darts is played all around the world, and that has a real world championship which includes players from around the world not just in a certain area of the world , there is actually a world cup of Darts, its a mental and physical sport and is a lot harder than it looks.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't mind it, though I feel like it wouldn't be as fun as watching a random competition on FS1 or something. I always enjoy here the ref/commentator/whoever he is screaming "180!" or similar when a person has three good scoring throws.

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darts, Pool and Chess should all be summer Olympic events, all 3 have (decent) followings.

Though to most Chess might be boring to watch and might be one of those zombie shift slots you show for this sport.
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Darts, Pool and Chess should all be summer Olympic events, all 3 have (decent) followings.

Though to most Chess might be boring to watch and might be one of those zombie shift slots you show for this sport.
    Chess I would actually be down for (but it does run into that same issue you already brought up). Pool maybe.

The issue with Darts is just that it's too similar to Archery and Shooting to justify it's place there.

vCash
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not keen on sports that have their own historic, established big events getting into the Olympics. The four majors of tennis, the four majors of golf, the World Cup of football (there is a reason they make it basically an U23 tournament) and the snooker world championship mean more than the Olympics do/would in their sports. Even though the PDC World Championship is relatively young, I don't see the Olympic title surpassing it for the sport, hence I wouldn't want it in there. Obviously I get the financial reasons for these sports going in.

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
    I'm not keen on sports that have their own historic, established big events getting into the Olympics. The four majors of tennis, the four majors of golf, the World Cup of football (there is a reason they make it basically an U23 tournament) and the snooker world championship mean more than the Olympics do/would in their sports. Even though the PDC World Championship is relatively young, I don't see the Olympic title surpassing it for the sport, hence I wouldn't want it in there. Obviously I get the financial reasons for these sports going in.
    to make it clear that the first world dart championship happened in 1978, which is nearly 40 years ago, but doesn't ever sport that appears in the olympics got its own established big event, every sport has probably a world championship.

vCash
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos Kid View Post
    to make it clear that the first world dart championship happened in 1978, which is nearly 40 years ago, but doesn't ever sport that appears in the olympics got its own established big event, every sport has probably a world championship.
    Yeah, but the BDO stopped mattering really once the splinter happened. The PDC is the elite darts organisation and its world championship is the top event (with 24 editions compared to 40 for the BDO). That's not a massive history of course.

Every sport that is in the Olympics will have a world championships and some of them were established before that sport joined the Olympics and the Olympics has overtaken it as the biggest title (badminton for instance). But I'm just not the keenest on it. Let me put it a different way. Athletes, swimmers, gymnasts all control and organise their schedules around trying to peak every 4 years for the Olympics. I don't see that happening or even being possible really in tennis, golf, darts, snooker for various reasons.

Something that is interesting about the Olympics is the limitations. Some sports are dominated by a select few countries, yet in the Olympics you only have a certain quota per nation. Table tennis singles is limited to 2 per nation, so even though China has the top 4 male players in the world, only 2 can compete, actually making the Olympics an easier competition to win in terms of competition (pressure obviously is massive). Tennis singles is limited to 4 and there isn't such a dominant nation, so not as extreme, but 9 of the top 50 are Spaniards for example, so 5 out of the top 50 can't play, making the tournament weaker than the Majors in terms of tricky early round matches. In snooker, 12 of the top 20 are English for example. So in some ways, for some sports, while the Olympics is the toughest to win simply due to its rareness (once every 4 years), on paper, it can be the easiest tournament to win.

Thread Information