Thread: What Games Are You Playing?

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default What Games Are You Playing?

It's a new year, a good time to start a new "What Games Are You Playing?" thread! Tell the community about your ongoing gaming exploits!

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Games Are You Playing?

Gamefly mailed me Rise of the Tomb Raider, so I'll be trying that out soon. Since it's PS4 I've been waiting a while for it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally got hold of Rock Band 4...it's been ridiculously hard to get with the guitar, but TRU came through for me.

I haven't played an RB game for a while, so I'm still getting back into the swing of things. I was used to playing Expert on RB3...right now, Hard is a bit too intense for me, but I'm also struggling with Medium due to the lack of notes (I expect four strums, but I only need to do two). I'm sure I'll be back on track in no time though!

Also Steins;Gate 0. The first game is one of my favs, but I'm enjoying this one much more so far. There's far less science babble and more focus on characters other than Okarin. I still love hearing TUTTURU~ too.
    PW World Heavyweight Champion - Today, Tomorrow, FOREVER

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PC
    Overwatch

PS4
    The Last Guardian
    Final Fantasy XV
    Let It Die

3DS
    Star Fox 3DS

Wii U
    Star Fox Zero

vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

PC
    Civilization VI
    Doom
    Resident Evil Remake
    (I'm only a couple of hours through the latter two and they are on an indefinite hiatus.)

3DS
    Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light

PS2
    Ratchet and Clank

SNES
    Super Mario World

vCash
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS4:
    Overwatch
    Rocket League

PS3:
    The Darkness(Might save my thoughts for this game in the Retro Gaming thread?)

Overwatch just got a new map in Oasis but I played this game a tadbit too much over the break, I now have a 75% win rate in competitive with The Sultan of Swag, Godyatta! So good, so good. I use Lucio on given points too.

Rocket League is still my game to go to when I just want to have fun and waste an hour or so but I gotta be honest, the "TRADE?" "Trade?" "Trade plz?" messages are pissing me off. People get brought into the game, instantly message and half the time don't even bother to play the quick play. SO ANNOYING. I hate the loot box invention, it has damaged this game somewhat for me.

And I am not even kidding.....I get at least 10 party invites for Rocket League to try and trade. How am I suppose to trade when I refuse to buy loot boxes in this game? I haven't bought a lootbox in Overwatch, the hell do you think I will do it for Rocket League?

Currently Playing:
    Dark Souls III DLC: The Ringed City(XB1), Donkey Kong Country 3(New 3DS), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno how you guys manage to juggle 4-5 games at once. I like to focus on one title until I finish.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS3:
    The Darkness(Might save my thoughts for this game in the Retro Gaming thread?)
    We need to have a talk about what's considered retro...

I've been letting the PS2 and GameCube mentions slide, but last generation?

vCash
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post

Game is about to be 10 years old!

The way I do things is if the game is nearing or past 10 years old, I consider it retro.

I don't even think the game has trophy support, that's how old it is. PS2 games like Persona 4 came out after it.

Currently Playing:
    Dark Souls III DLC: The Ringed City(XB1), Donkey Kong Country 3(New 3DS), Rocket League(PS4)

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished Watch Dogs 2 last night, much better then the first Watchdogs, felt strong attachment to all characters, actually furious when

Spoiler

And immediately seeked vengeance.

Up next i'm heading backwards and going to play my first ever Resident Evil game, revelations. Picked it up cheaply in a sale.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's so nice knowing i'm no longer alone

vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post

PS2 and GameCube are borderline for me. PS1/N64 and earlier is retro in 2017.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Game is about to be 10 years old!

The way I do things is if the game is nearing or past 10 years old, I consider it retro.

I don't even think the game has trophy support, that's how old it is. PS2 games like Persona 4 came out after it.
    Hey man, we can't all be as trendy as you New Yorkers. I know Knack is only days away from being a borderline case for you, but some of us still remember the PS3 release as if it was only yesterday.

I'm only busting your balls, but for what it's worth the consensus is that anything past the Dreamcast is considered modern.

I dunno how you guys manage to juggle 4-5 games at once. I like to focus on one title until I finish.
    With great skill and dexterity.

Usually I experience my games at different paces. I may only play one of those games once a week for 30 minutes or so, where as with The Last Guardian I'll play every other day for a few hours if I just want to kill some time.

Also, I feel like portable gaming and console/pc gaming offer up different experiences.

I <3 JESUS

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Son and I are playing Star Wars Battlefront. I just love the Attack the Walker game mod.

Wife is playing No Man's Sky and enjoying it. I'm staying away from it until she's done because this is the first game she's ever really liked. I don't want her to have to watch me play it and become disinterested.

Daughter is playing Minecraft.
    Follower of Christ.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vintage is at 20 years, so I think that's about the same as retro...though I think technically, retro is supposed to be if you make something NEW like something vintage, but I'm just splitting hairs there.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm currently this minute playing Virginia for PS4. I really dig it, it's kind of like Twin Peaks meets Gone Home

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now Gamefly has shipped LAST GUARDIAN. If this isn't the best game ever I'm holding the entire forum accountable for shit taste.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard not to get lost in GTA V, spent most of today just maxing out stats, gun range, triathlons, and flight school. Holy fuck I wasn't ready for that 3rd triathlon though, the first 2 are pretty reasonable length, and then the final one is just brutal, 8 minutes of swimming followed by FIFTEEN MINUTES of biking, and thankfully only a few minutes of running, when getting off the bike I was expecting another 10+ minutes with how long the first 2 sections were, my arm was dead by the end of it, only completed that one with Michael (and that's with infinite stamina, so no slowing), Franklin and Trevor were already maxed by the first 2, and I just was not fucking with that again. Gun range I didn't gold everything, just silvered, not going for 100%, so didn't feel the need to put in the extra effort, same with the flight school, no bronzes though. Not sure if I'll care much about maxing lung capacity, because I rarely swim, and driving and strength will just come when they come. Probably back to the main game tomorrow, might play some golf first.

Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

After fumbling around trying to win a Deity game on Civilization 6 (so far not succeeding), I tried multiplayer for the first time. The experience was not good. There seemed to be some kind of weird lag that made it look like my turn started like 30 seconds after everyone elses, and as the game progressed this pause between turns got even longer. Then there's the fact that I played for at least two hours and I was probably only a third of the way through the timeline. Playing other humans is fun, but it just isn't worth the huge time investment. Might try it again earlier in the day so I'm more likely to play with Europeans than Americans, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished up with GTA V, completely my trip from III to present, just seeing the jump from 4 to 5, I can't wait to see what RDR2 has to offer, superior in every way gameplay wise (though oddly enough, vehicle damage was more complex in GTAIV), just so much fun. For Trevor alone, it has my thanks, and then it offers 2 other fully formed, well rounded characters, just great.

I don't have time for RDR before RE7, so I'll start Super Metroid again, and hopefully not delete it 3/4's of the way through this time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well as promised, here are both my Darkness 1 and 2 writeups:

The Darkness(PS3)

Such mixed feelings on this game. I had always wanted to try this game for the sole basis of the whole The Crow meets The Punisher sort of deal with this comic always intrigued me and I had quite a bit of familiarity with the origins of this story. I also happen to know that Faith No More's Mike Patton oddly enough was the voice actor of the main protagonist, Jackie Estacado which was a pretty odd choice but given his ability with his voice to project it in so many ways, it makes sense from The Darkness standpoint to have that.

I had to notch the difficulty down from hard to normal in large part because you die in like 2 shots to the 1st couple of enemies on hard to the point that I kept on dying and needing to restart over and over again.

My initial impressions about 1-2 hours in was that this game felt very outdated with the AI doing the same 1-2 cover moves making it predictable and I wasn't sure what to think of the game but as the game progressed, the very intriguing story and gameplay that is helped immensely by the Darkness powers because this game is bare bones and gets borderline mediocre with it's gun play, especially in 2017.

The storytelling and presentation is rather good though the side missions were lousy and featured just killing a group of enemies and reporting back to the person who asked you to do the deed. Didn't even bother to finish up the side quests since there's no trophy support to even warrant finishing up every single thing in this game.

Without the powers that you get, this would have been an unbearable game to play through and at given portions, this game randomly converts into being like Medal of Honor with some random war trench fights with AI enemies in some bland gun play. Thankfully you can summon some minions to help you fight and there are 4 different minions offers in this game so not all is lost.

My recommendation is that you are not missing out by not playing this game. It feels outdated, the gun play is lousy, there are portions in this game that get unbearable to have to deal with, game features tons of backtracking on trains that seemingly wastes a few minutes and some mediocre sidequests. What is good with this game is the story, presentation and the darkness powers. There's so much good and bad together that I can't say I would recommend you to go out of your way to play it but at the same time, it's not terrible by any means and you aren't totally wasting your time to play this game.

The Darkness 2(PS3)

Playing this game quickly after playing the 1st one, I came to realize that this game blows the 1st one out of the water in the gameplay department….as it should being it came out 4-5 years later. I think the game being more linear and not having the slow and unnecessary subway traveling was a change for the better. Though what this game loses that the 1st game had was stealth, particularly stealth kills which was a vital part of the 1st game. This game is all guns blazin and nothing else. You still get to use the Black Hole and of course you get to flaunt your darkness powers now more than ever but gone are the cheap and easy kills from afar. The abilities of regeneration, shield, ammo or power up charge(I think?) when staggering an enemy to help your cause is HUGE and vital.

This is a pretty good game that shines up the 1st game with ease. But speaking of shine, I will say the light in this game is ridiculously OP(Played on 2nd hardest difficulty) and even the hint of it makes you absolutely easy pickings so you really have to watch where you are since you are just a man with his gun(s) at that point and some areas there’s really no way around it. Biggest gripe I can have with this game is the lack of ammo around had to have been the sole reason I would die consistently in this game, you would spend literarily minutes just running around the area just begging for ammo and when you don’t get it, especially in lightened places, you are dead meat and can do nothing but run around and hope the enemies miss (Which they have very good aim). Wish the ammo placement was a tad bit more generous as you do not get enough ammo after an ammo execution to be quite frank.

The game is rather quick and the 1st game does outdo the 2nd game in this department and I wish the main antagonists had more buildup, particular the cronies of the main antagonist who get introduced, fight em, and then die off…yeah. Game quickly moves you place to place, no real time for explanation and again I do like linear style games but it Is something to consider when playing this title.

I will say the new voice actor for Jackie in this game comes off a bit too tryhardish, I never would envision Jackie Estacado’s voice to be so Italian mobster-ish, especially coming off of the 1st game, it felt a bit over exaggerated and unnecessary. Did bother me in given portions but not enough to have me put the game down.

In comparison to the 1st Darkness, it’s not even a contest. The 1st Darkness is one you can honestly skip, especially when the game wraps everything in that game up in a nutshell in the 1st 3 minutes. This one does hold up well by FPS standards and you will get a nice 6-7 hour game out of this. Def. worth a rent and a playthrough, the ending was quite a twist and the story telling is just as good as it was in the 1st one. There are some annoying segments in the game and again the negative blemishes I mentioned 3 paragraphs up kind of speak about them loosely but besides that, a pretty solid game all around.

Next game I will mention here will be Alan Wake which I am currently playing on the XB1.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paper Mario Color Splash - I could see people hating it. Follows the Sticker Star card battle with no exp... but fuck I get a kick out of stages where you need to get 100% completion.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Blindy After that ending, I was really hoping The Darkness III. Not sure how the comics play into the game.

-chaos-
    "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After finally finishing Rachet and Clank, it was time to make the decision in which game from my pile I'll start next. Between the Uncharted collection and Dark Souls III, I went with the latter. Going from a fun and light hearted game to one I'll most likely hate myself seemed like the logical conclusion. Last year I watched my friend play the game, ut it's my turn. After a few days of playing, I finished the High Tower of Lorthic. It was a much larger area than I was expecting. As someone who has only played Bloodborne, it took a minute to get adjusted to the style of game play. I'm not used to the defending, and prefer the aggressive style of Bloodborne. Most of the time my shield is away. Since it's my playthrough, I'm taking my time exploring each area and finding all of the items. Vordt was much easier than I was expecting for a boss.

vCash
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Into Chapter 3 of Alan Wake, something I have held off playing after getting Quantum Break Day one(Big reason why I did it was to get Alan Wake and the DLC for it for free)....I can absolutely see the Quantum Break basis off of it(The storytelling, presentation which I think Remedy does very well in both games) as well as the character jumping, so far so good but it is the type of game that I can only finish one chapter a day it feels like, anything more would be overdoing it and would have me not enjoying the game as the combat is pretty cut and dry and playing it on hard mode, there are portions that the game's limitations have hurt me(Shit co-op partner who has worse aim than a blind man, the lack of ammo at times which is frustrating given your ammo does not carry over into chapters) but besides these's minor glares, it's been so far so good with the game.

With Gravity Rush 2 coming this Friday, I am hoping to at least take out the main story and maybe save American Nightmare for another day.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FFX

After spending multiple FFXV listening to the FFX OST, I couldn't resist any longer. While I plan to devote 2017 to current gaming, I've always wanted to do a completionist run of FFX and didn't see the harm in clearing the opening portion of the game.

So I made my way through Besaid, cleared the temple and got the group together for their long pilgrimage with only one minor concern.

I had forgotten to collect the Destruction Orb chest.

In each dungeon, there's a hidden chest you've got to collect in order to unlock a future sidequest. I couldn't figure it out initially and since I was in a rush, I thought I could return to it at a later point. Unfortunately it turns out I can only return to it mid-way through the game and by that point a post-game boss is guarding the treasure.

I had to make the decision, do I delete my save and start over? Or do I just grit and bear it later on?

I decided to do the responsible thing and start fresh, rushing through the game even quicker, collected the puzzle and moved forward with the confidence that I had collected everything I possibly could have.

Like DQVIII, the completionist run of FFX is going to be a long-term goal that I could see taking years to thoroughly complete, doing certain portions whenever I'm in the mood.

Thread Information