Thread: What Games Are You Playing?

I <3 JESUS

vCash
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Games Are You Playing?

I'm such a lover of platforming. And even collecting games. IDK.. thought the story was bad, the grunting noises they made were awful and repetitive making me turn my sound off so I couldn't even enjoy whatdsomeone said was a great soundtrack. Fights seemed way too easy. The only challenge about it was to not be bored while playing it. Maybe I was in a bad mood. I'll give it another go before I send it back. Even my son got tired of it after about an hour and I thought this would be super fun for him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's unfortunate. Haven't tried it out myself, but I'm kinda hoping it's just you.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a little unusual to play without a map or clear objective, you do find yourself meandering a bit but it does lead to some fun exploration.

The underground glitter cove in the second world, that was a fun little find.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 363

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welp, I did it, I didn't think I could do it, but I actually fucking did it. Took me the who god damn day, and I barely lucked out just before I quit and got a great hand and even cleared the one I was ready to give up on and move on from....but I actually cleared Mahjong, I only understood about 40% of what I was doing, but enough to force my way through it. So it should be clear sailing from there, I've completed all mini-game objectives except fishing for Majima, so nothing else in Yakuza 0 should give me any real trouble.

Fuck you Mahjong, I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up a 3DO yesterday and was playing through a few titles. The original Gex on the 3DO is a cool little platformer. Captain Quazer is an interesting isometric platformer with a lot of cutscenes, and Wing Commander III (cutscenes starring Mark Hamill and Malcolm McDowell) was nice until I started piloting the ship. Then I had no idea what was going on. I'll have to do a little research on that. Samurai Shodown is a nice looking fighting game, though I think I might be handicapped by not having a six button controller.

Still need to play Road Rash, which is apparently amazing on the 3DO.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I picked up the Team Fortress 2 bug again and now it seems like I'm spending all day every day playing it. In reality it's not quite that bad, but usually upwards of 3 hours a day. I'm also going through Hammerwatch, a dungeon crawler which pays homage to the arcade game Gauntlet. It's nothing spectacular but decent fun and a good way to pass the time.

On the 3DS I'm playing Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. I got this from the 50 Favourite Games thread. I think this game appeared on @Aaron's list, but I could be wrong. It's a pretty fun story-heavy puzzle game. It's rather repetitive yet it doesn't get boring. I could play it for hours at a time if I wanted, though my general session is fairly short.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished up Prey, it was a fun little game, the typhoid were a well developed species. Does take some time to get going, it's rather frustrating until you upgrade a bit, since things can kill you super fast, and the game has a propensity for missing wrench swings on the short mimics. Was pretty annoying how enemies could teleport completely away while you were attacking them, and certain enemies took an annoying amount of damage, even fully upgraded. It was never fun to be in 0 gravity, the G.U.T.S. and exterior portions were more tedious than anything. The story was kind of bare, honestly, pretty forgettable all around, characters, narrative, ending, can't say any of it resonated. It was fun though, most everything worked well enough, though a glitch kept me from getting 1 single personnel member checked off, because the robot with the key card for the office never spawned.

Biggest negative: LOAD TIMES. Holy hell the load times, every time you switch areas you have an elongated load time, at the end of the game, you have to go through probably 10 switches to complete all the stuff it throws at you. So it's LOADING *Run for 5 seconds* LOADING *Run for 10 seconds* LOADING repeat until you're ready to put your controller through the TV.

All in all, fun gameplay, forgettable story, atrocious load times. I'd give it a 7.

Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the loading times worse than Bloodborne pre patch? Don't know if those can be rivaled though I think Recore gave it a very good run.

Have Brutal Legend and Lollipop Chainsaw arriving to me in a couple of days, both for the PS3. Can use both games as a nice change of pace to the GOTY, Persona 5. I know the latter is held in very good regard by G/B and Aaron so I look forward to it. I thought about buying it much sooner but the lack of game length for the price tag wasn't ideal at that time when I wasn't working but getting it for 20 bucks seems fair enough.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got tired of Brutal pretty early, but Lollipop was great.

Of course I never hold a 5 hour length against it.

Unless you pay day one price, naturally.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Are the loading times worse than Bloodborne pre patch? Don't know if those can be rivaled though I think Recore gave it a very good run..
    I don't remember how bad Bloodborne was, but I was clocking 'em at about 60-70 seconds each moving from one area to the next. When you had to go through multiple areas, this got absolutely maddening. I don't think it was quite so bad when you died or reloaded, but going through an area door was a trudge.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Blindy

Yeah, Lollipop is great. It knows when to finish and doesn't wear out it's welcome. So it's a good time with some fun writing.

Bloodborne loading times were about 40 seconds pre patch and it was worse cause you had to stare at the logo for those 40 seconds. Made dying feel like a real punishment.

-chaos-
    "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, DYING, not so bad, quick reload maybe 10-20 seconds. Just moving from area to area is mind numbing, bearable in the beginning when you're taking time and scouring areas, but once you're just moving between them you really grow to hate the bitches.

As for Brutal Legends, I loved it at it's base, being a metal head, but HATE tower defense-esque games, so those sections really killed me, and I never beat it, I have been meaning to go back though, because it never occurred to me you can jump in your car and go and actually HELP on those missions.

Lollipop Chainsaw was great goofy fun, so, it was a Suda51 game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh god you make the tower defense sections sound like Kameo which I played a few months back. Those are really bad. Had a certain amount of time to complete the mission where you had to drop everything and move to the area and defend a specific part of the world.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was really disappointing for me, because it's a super fun action game, then suddenly it turns into real time strategy, which I'm just not a fan of. And if I remember right, they're mandatory sections to progress the story, which is why I think I never beat it. It wasn't until watching a video later though that I found out I could jump in my car and help out, and not just have it be about the minions I was spawning to assist.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I completely see what you mean Rags, the tower defense missions are awful. I knew to use the car to really wreck things but I am so glad I did a couple of hunting missions because I found the animal minions to be so much better the humans that spawn. They single handedly destroyed Lionwhyte's doors

So far so good with it, didn't think it was an open world game so I am trying to plow through the side missions. The racing missions are cheap though, not only are there the typical uninspiring rubber band artificial difficulty maneuvers but also the AI will purposely bump you and cut you off to stop you from passing them. You really have to time it right to get past them.

Also have found there are no points in this game that you can load to get to a side mission or main mission sooner which sucks and given each side mission you finish, you have to summon your car it gets a little annoying but all things aside, I am enjoying myself with the game. Like the rock cameos, really good music to play while driving, the story thus far is over the top but it's actually fine.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yakuza 0 - I remember when the original Yakuza came out and it seemed like the worst GTA clone of all-time. It's such a shame that Sega marketed the game in such a misleading way, because they're really nothing alike. Yakuza 0 is my first proper playthrough of the series and I feel like I've been missing out. Not only was the series doing the multiple characters thing before GTA V, in 0 you get to pick through 8 total styles. My favourite has to be Mijima's Breaker style, where you essentially become Eddie Gordo from Tekken 3. Nobody can touch you in that style and the heat animations are pretty enjoyable.

I just unlocked a mode where you run your own club and you've got to hire hostess. Like kareoke, disco dancing and the real estate venture, the mode feels like a game in of itself and you can spend hours in there. Fortunately you're it isn't a total waste of time either as it's a good source of income, albeit the community has found an even easier and cheesier way of accumulating large sums.

Diddy Kong Racing - My goal is to get these tracks down to muscle memory so I can become as able at DKR as I am with MK8. For the most part it's a breeze, but Space Port Alpha has been a real road block. I've got most of that section covered, it's just the laser section that gets me everytime.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I might have hit a roadblock with Brutal Legend, I got to a shitty ass tower defense part by the end of the 2nd world. These just are not fun in the least bit, why did Schaffer once again try and ruin his games with a mindnumbing sequence. He tried his best with the final world of Psychonauts to ruin that game and now he tries to ruin Brutal Legend with these shit missions. They are so bad, they completely bring this game down. Might need to take a day or so really resolve. I need to go hunting for more solo riffs but the game does not tell you where they are so you're stuck trying to figure out where they are.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Yakuza 0 - I remember when the original Yakuza came out and it seemed like the worst GTA clone of all-time. It's such a shame that Sega marketed the game in such a misleading way, because they're really nothing alike. Yakuza 0 is my first proper playthrough of the series and I feel like I've been missing out. Not only was the series doing the multiple characters thing before GTA V, in 0 you get to pick through 8 total styles. My favourite has to be Mijima's Breaker style, where you essentially become Eddie Gordo from Tekken 3. Nobody can touch you in that style and the heat animations are pretty enjoyable.

I just unlocked a mode where you run your own club and you've got to hire hostess. Like kareoke, disco dancing and the real estate venture, the mode feels like a game in of itself and you can spend hours in there. Fortunately you're it isn't a total waste of time either as it's a good source of income, albeit the community has found an even easier and cheesier way of accumulating large sums.
    The only downside to starting with Yakuza 0, I'd say, is Majima is the funnest damn character to control in the entire series, and that's the first time you ever play as him. Now I dearly want another Majima-centric plot line. On the upside, it was Kiryu's weakest showing as a fighter (makes sense, being quite a few years before Yakuza 1), so it's all uphill with him.

The only real note I'd throw out there to gauge your expectation with Yakuza, unlike GTA, which features a new city with each game, the entire series takes place almost entirely in Kamurocho, they do have other areas, but Kamurocho is largely the focal point of each entry (0-4 at least). Combat is also largely the same, just getting better in each entry, it was great when Y4 introduced 3 new playable characters, because Kiryu's path is well trodden by that point. It's the stories that set them apart though, in my opinion, some of the best crime stories in gaming, each entry offers a new (though largely still building on the previous) great narrative full of fantastic characters. Honestly, one of the strongest ongoing narratives in gaming.

Can't wait for Kiwami, modern Yakuza gameplay standard with one of the best stories of the series. One thing I loved about 0, is now there's an actual connection with Nikishi, where in the original you don't really see how he was before the opening events.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should be picking up Farpoint VR today

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am 3 stages down(Not counting the prologue) in Lollipop Chainsaw. After how much of a letdown some portions of Brutal Legend was, I have enjoyed myself with this game for the most part. I actually appreciate the zany humor and nature of this game. The combat outside of the couple of frustrating framedrops when there are many zombies on a battlefield and the camera which often has enemies getting you off camera with attacks or getting so close that you cannot see entirely has been relatively fun. The boss battles are pretty swell and the dialogue is well acted even if you aren't necessarily buying into the game's crazy nature. There have been a surprisingly good amount of enemy and stage variety which for a last gen beat em up, is very much appreciated. This game has incorporated the usual beat em up mechanics, some racing esque portions, some rail gun portions, some other minigames.

However my biggest gripe with this game and it might be a fair or unfair one is that the chainsaw blaster portions force you to have to use a PS3 controller and sadly my PS3 controller routinely continues to bug out and hit start often so for the portions of the game that I need to use the chainsaw blaster, I am stuck with a fight between me and my controller and for a game that's less than 5 years old, not sure why the Dualshock 4 does not work all the way for this game. You can absolutely do the basics of the game but for some lousy reason, the chainsaw blaster games often bug up where the game routinely goes haywire with it's aiming. I took auto aim off, after it was previously on, made no difference. It would routinely not allow me to control where I want to aim and for Zombie Baseball, I was just button mashing L2 and R2 and got away with it but for portions that I HAD TO aim, I had to make the switch to the Dualshock 3 sadly. Sucks that I have to even do this though this was a last gen game so technically it was meant to be played from a last gen controller but games that have a few years on this one allow the full usage of the Dualshock 4. The game has some glitches like having my character just stay in one place until I button mash the circle button enough to just move and after beating the 3rd stage the loading screen senseless just staying for a few minutes before I pressed some buttons and got it to progress.

I am playing this on Hard Mode and outside of having 3 lollipops instead of 5 and having additional zombies in certain parts, I don't think the game is all too difficult outside of the aforementioned frustrating elements. I feel like the game is more than generous with its health refill lollipops.

I am very much enjoying this game thus far despite that major frustration. I also can't answer the telephone and tried to go into options and go and see if there's a way to do it. Maybe I am missing something?

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Blindy Where are you at exactly in the game?

Also yeah, the shooting parts are the worst in the game. I also played the game on Hard and found the baseball section to be annoying for me. I like the shooting mechanic outside the required parts, as getting headshots nets you easy coins. The zombies pretty much lead themselves to you, so it makes for some easy headshots.

-chaos-

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G/B View Post
    @Blindy Where are you at exactly in the game?

Also yeah, the shooting parts are the worst in the game. I also played the game on Hard and found the baseball section to be annoying for me. I like the shooting mechanic outside the required parts, as getting headshots nets you easy coins. The zombies pretty much lead themselves to you, so it makes for some easy headshots.
    Spoiler

It's just having to use the Dualshock 3 which is already a problem in itself(Had the controller for 5 years and it bugged out months ago, previous PS controllers never ever did this!) which sucks given the shooting is vital in this game and is required. Without needing to do it, I would absolutely play with my Dualshock 4.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see your dilemma. I tried to use my DS4 with Sly Cooper and Thieves in time awhile back but the required the shitty SIXAXIS which the controller isn't compatible with. And those sections were required too. The SIXAXIS on that controller was mad fucked too, managed to get by, but hell if that wasn't annoying.

Btw @Blindy, looking it up. The messages go to your Juliet Stash. Just look under telephone. They are just phone messages. If I remember correctly she does occasionally answer her phone during some cutscenes but those aren't the messages themselves. Juliet has quite a few outfits, but I think you can only get the good ones by the end of the game.

-chaos-

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best part is if you try and move the camera to see up her skirt she covers up. LOL.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm playing Syberia on my PS2. It's really cool, kind of like Broken Sword but not as funny

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Thread Information