Thread: What Games Are You Playing?

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Games Are You Playing?

How do you manage to order units to attack thin air? Did you break the game somehow?

..and in what RPG game do you not have to explicitly equip items?

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you manage to order units to attack thin air? Did you break the game somehow?
    Once you kill an enemy, instead of one of your units attacking a different opponent, it will simply attack the space the deceased was occupying. It's an archaic feature, but it adds a level of strategy to the proceedings.

..and in what RPG game do you not have to explicitly equip items?
    I'm not sure why I found it so difficult.

When you buy equipment, the game asks you who you want to give the equipment to and when I went into the menu, the items all appeared in the right slots. What I didn't realise is that you actually have to go into menu, select equip on all of the items and then an 'E' will appear alongside the equipment.

I felt like such a dunce for making that mistake, but then I caught a let's play and noticed they made the same mistake so I didn't feel as stupid.

Still, I like features like that since they were a product of their time.

It begs the question, when you're going back through old games, do you prefer to play the game as it was made or search out the remake/port that irons out the creases?

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Once you kill an enemy, instead of one of your units attacking a different opponent, it will simply attack the space the deceased was occupying. It's an archaic feature, but it adds a level of strategy to the proceedings.
    Ah, yes. I've encountered that in some older RPGs. The PS1 remake might have kept the feature, but I don't remember.

When you buy equipment, the game asks you who you want to give the equipment to and when I went into the menu, the items all appeared in the right slots. What I didn't realise is that you actually have to go into menu, select equip on all of the items and then an 'E' will appear alongside the equipment.

I felt like such a dunce for making that mistake, but then I caught a let's play and noticed they made the same mistake so I didn't feel as stupid.
    I could see myself doing the same thing. Don't recall having that issue with the remake. They probably fixed it.

It begs the question, when you're going back through old games, do you prefer to play the game as it was made or search out the remake/port that irons out the creases?
    Whichever's most convenient. The only two remakes I've played are OoT and FF1 because they are available for systems I own. But I'm certain I would have got less enjoyment out of the originals.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished up with Nioh, some of those missions gave me fits, especially the dual duel with with Lord Nobunaga and that ice bitch; though despite the initial trouble Munishige gave me, I beat the double up with him and the other guy in just a couple tries.

Positives:

Combat is the easy one, just a joy to play. And there's a ton of shit I never even used, so there's probably even better than I got.

Refashion, just great to actually be able to choose your appearance while also taking the higher quality items.

I think all of the weapons were great, something rare in multi-weapon games, I'd find myself cycling through to different weapons for different enemies. The Dual katana/Spear ended up being my favorite combo, the fastest weapon and the best distanced weapon. The owl things were pissing me off until I got a spear endowed with fire, just tore through them, and most larger enemies, with that. The high slam to multi-jab ripped enemies apart (and set them on fire).

While the enemies weren't varied enough, the bosses all did offer different experiences.

Negatives:

Not enough enemy types, you're mostly fighting the same things the whole game, with every few areas maybe 1 new threat being introduced. Also, despite the fact the had a solid variety of bosses, the very first one was the only one they really kept repeating, each of the other bosses show up a couple times, but the first is probably in there a dozen times, had they cycled through all of them, probably would have been less noticable.

It's annoying when the enemy's ki bar doesn't follow the rules, you'd knock it to empty and they wouldn't go into critical state, more than a couple deaths going for a critical shot only to realize they didn't go into the critical state.

Certain levels are also repeated a few times over, entirely different regions, same exact level, just with different enemies, could have probably just left a few of those quests out.

All in all, a great experience, someday a year or so from now, I'll give a NG+ run through. I'd give the game a solid 8/10, a little more enemy variety would have really livened things up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About half way through Kameo: Elements of Power and I don't get any of the acclaim that it gained 12 years ago. Maybe this game can be chalked up as a game that is just clearly outdated and has not aged well but even then, I don't think I can buy that given the same company made Banjo Kazooie, and Banjo Tooie where both games clearly outclass this game in many aspects.

1) The worlds of each place feel there for the sake of being there, they aren't fun or engaging and for me 2 worlds down, I didn't find the need to explore any of that and nor are any of the side characters actually worth helping out. There have been very few optional missions that I can honestly say I accomplished. The format and structure of what you can vs what you cannot do leave me puzzled where even if I go out of my way to try and do something on the side, I find myself unable to help out and if anything am losing health for fighting enemies that I cannot kill or cannot stop from respawning so I just find myself skipping on this said side content.

2) The controls or better yet the aiming controls are brutal. Once again I ask of Rare, how is it that they can at least give you respectable aiming controls in Conker's Bad Fur Day but for a game that was out 6-7 years later they refuse to go back to the basics with this game? The game requires you to be so pinpoint with the aim with the fire element that if you are remotely off, the fireball will squiggle.and go off balance. But the worst culprit of this might you ask that I have encountered? The water element, good grief is that awful? I was wondering a few hours in about the complaint about this game having poor controls if they were valid or not because the game hadn't been bad in that aspect but once the water element was introduced, all bets off.

Again Rare has had their mixed bag of results when it comes to swimming mechanics in their video games. For me, it was mediocre swimming mechanics in the Banjo series but Donkey Kong Country has among the most smoothest swimming but Kameo takes the cake out of the entire contest. How might you ask? Well you need to hold up on the analog stick to go down which is a chore but not impossible to get familiar with but the aiming controls and trying to center them on obstacles is brutal, like the way I found myself doing this was to be right next to the enemy(Even if it hurts me) and just unload as much as I possibly could. The less water objectives in Kameo I feel, the better the experience because they dropped the ball with the underwater aspects. I should be loving underwater fights with submarines but alas. And the 2nd boss, that was 20 minutes that I can't ever get back......brutal isn't the word to describe it. Just a tedious chore all around, not fun or excitement in any way shape or form.

Just my 2 biggest gripes thus far. I will say I have no qualms about the story of this game which is a typical platformer and I think the game is VERY forgiving when you die where they start you at the last checkpoint which the game is very good about and on paper the idea of getting to use different transformations to get around is pretty cool and the game does make you use the different transformations to get around a stage even if it does feel somewhat repetitive at times.

But am I blown away by this game so far? Not at all. Other platformers that precede this game just do their roles so much better that you feel like you are playing but given I have pretty much loved anything SNES onward that Rare has put out, I had to give this game a shot and maybe it gets better in the 2nd half of the game though I can't say I am expecting that.

Currently Playing:
    Wipeout Omega Collection(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've yet to play it myself, but if memory serves, Kameo was a game that had a ton of great ideas but couldn't execute on them.

Rare originally wanted to release it on the GameCube, but they hit so many brick walls they kept delaying the title. It wasn't until they faced the possibility that they'd never release the title they made a bunch of compromises and removed features that would have made the game great.

They did well to release as good a game as they did and they were able to sell people on their graphics which were really good by 2005 standards but years later it isn't as impressive.

Sometimes games only work as a launch title. I feel like Kameo is a good example of this and it was able to trick enough critics to get a decent score. Most gamers consider it a fairly mediocre title and it's rarely discussed along the same lines as Rare's other titles.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I bought Kameo cheap way back when, but there was a deal where a trade in actually got a decent amount, and I wasn't that into it, so I never actually beat it. A few good ideas, but just wasn't up to par with not only Rare's other titles, but other titles of the sort, fell purely middle of the road.
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kameo was one of 3 games I always wanted to get a 360 for (the other two being Nuts & Bolts and Blue Dragon). I was very disappointed when I finally got all 3. Blue Dragon was great, but the Rare titles, ugh.

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kameo was OK, but nothing amazing. It fell into the same kind of area as Knack, where it was good as a launch title when there wasn't much else to play, but got overtaken pretty quickly.

Nuts & Bolts was rubbish, but I wasn't a big fan of Tooie either.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but I wasn't a big fan of Tooie either.
    It honestly surprises me how much of a free ride Tooie gets.

Not only is it sluggish on the N64, it tries to be everything but a 3D Platformer. I'd argue it's more of a cumbersome adventure/FPS game than an actual platformer. You don't really have to be good at platformer, you just have to know when to use each ability to progress.

It still does enough to warrant a playthrough, but based on what I know of Nuts and Bolts it's amazing how fans are able to look past the flaws.

Maybe it was the world design? While the worlds were far too big for their own good, the design choices were all very intriguing. Ancient Aztec Ruins, Gold Mine, A Run-Down Amusement Park, A Pirate Hangout/Atlantis, Dinosaur Planet, An Evil Corporation Building, a two for one Fire/Ice World and a strange assortment of sky islands - all really cool concepts and maybe enough for fans to simply nod along. As I said, while most of the worlds weren't executed as well as they could have been, I will say that BT is worth the playthrough simply for Witchy World. That's a Top Tier 3D World and I encourage everyone to make the yearly trip.

vCash
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As someone who played Banjo Tooie early in 2016, it's a game that hasn't aged well and is right up there with DK64 of truly hitting on home as to why collectahons can get redundant and tedious. The game just felt tedious and it sucks because I truly loved the game as a kid but I guess I didn't necessary find the game so tedious and was so much in love with the series that I thought it wasn't all too much different than Kazooie.

I finished Kameo not too long ago, not much really changed with my initial impressions except I fought a pretty good final boss but a god awful 2nd to last boss which is compounded by an annoying elemental power that is mandatory to win this fight. Thank god I got to cheese the last boss with a nearly fully upgraded Thermite and just absolutely spanked it

The sections where you have to pinpoint your rolls and time it right to not fall to your death was silly, in fact the entire Castle should be known as "One Hit KOsville" because that's what it felt like to me. Now again, thank goodness the developers had good judgment to not be stingy with the checkpoints because otherwise this would have verged onto becoming unplayable.

Not a game that is completely awful but it's one that I expected to be so much better and there's just so much bad that outshines the good in this game.

Currently Playing:
    Wipeout Omega Collection(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Kazooie was definitely the superior of the two, amazing structure, a ton of fun. I liked Twooie, but it just had a poor all around design, like I said back in my write up when I played it, like certain tasks in certain worlds actually being connected to something you'd have to do in an entirely different world. Numerous times I searched a level top to bottom to find what I was missing before figuring that one out, so much wasted time. And that stupid fucking wind up race, holy hell. One of those things I don't know how a person figured out without looking it up, you'd think go all out, but that loses the last race 100% of the time, you have to just trail the bitch all the way until the last second and then shoot past her with not enough time for her to shoot past you, rubberbanding at it's worst. It was just a step down from the essentially perfect platformer that was Banjo Kazooie.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Blindy @RagnarokMike would you say the design choices of DK64 or BT were just a product of the time? Or do they still exist today?

What I mean, they seem to follow the idea of 'more is more' where they want to throw in every idea they could to give their consumers their money's worth, even if it ends up hurting the overall game. I haven't played enough open world games, but have noticed that games aren't afraid to be shorter and often have a fairly linear path if you choose to go in that direction.

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DOOM (2016)

Those who have played the original Doom games know what Doom is all about. Those who haven't will learn pretty quickly in the opening scene. The protagonist, laid down and strapped to a bed, muscles free of his shackles and violently takes care of a couple of demons with his bare hands. He grabs a laser pistol, and you're in control. You don the Praetor suit, a combination of armour and technology giving you almost everything you need for survival. Two rooms later, you rip out the beating heart of a gore nest, and battle a horde of imps that spawn all around you. Shortly after, you open a door and step out onto the surface of Mars. It's breathtaking. Look closely and you can see a couple of imps scampering on far away rock formations. The next thing you do is take a death-defying leap down a cliff. You don't know what the outcome will be, but you're pretty sure you'll live. Indeed, you do live, your suit informing you of "impact compensation". Whatever that is. It doesn't matter. The game has just taught you that big drops cause no harm, in contrast to the FPS standard. For a game like Doom, that's a very good thing. The next thing you do is pick off some demons, only to have another horde of imps and soldiers spawn around you. That's more or less what the whole game is like, and what it should be like. Not only is it an excellent, blood-pumping game in its own right, and the perfect tribute to the original groundbreaking games.

Despite the fast and furious introduction, it wasn't until about a third through the game that I got fully on-board. The game is very repetitive, which isn't a bad thing in itself if the gameplay is good, and that most certainly is the case. The problem is the first few levels. The repetition is felt most strongly here because you have a very limited offensive arsenal and a lack of variety of demons to smush. These levels are also the most punishing in the game. Before you receive lots of juicy upgrades, you have low health, virtually no armor, and your weapons aren't that great. Sure, you're only fighting measly imps and possessed soldiers, enemies which you squash like ants later in the game, but at this point they don't go down that easily and they hit hard. Eventually I toughed my way through these levels. I got new weapons, I upgraded my gear, and stronger demons popped up to take me on. When the game got good, it got really good. The weapons and powerups are a mix of Doom's own arsenal and blatant rip-offs of its successor games such as Quake and Unreal Tournament. It's not a criticism; powerups like quad damage (complete with the sound effect airlifted from Quake) fit perfectly in modern Doom. The game became easier, but not too easy, and significantly more fun. My weapon of choice was the super shotgun, which could kill almost any demon in four shots max if you got close enough, but I used the other weapons almost as much. By the time you got all the weapons, it got perhaps a little too easy. Not a big problem, but the difficulty scaling in the game was a bit off. I expect the designers intended to maintain a similar level of difficulty throughout, but the player upgrades at a greater rate than the demons do. On the other hand, the average player wouldn't have gone to all the trouble of finding all the secrets and completing all the challenges, which provide the lion's share of the upgrade points, so I imagine the difficulty would have only increased for them. So there probably isn't a difficulty scaling problem. It's just that the game heavily rewards exploration. Which is always a good thing in my book.

The graphics and art are incredible. Hell, in particular, is spectacular. A few minutes spent wandering around the first Hell level and I wished the whole game was set there. Look at it! It's so much cooler than the sci-fi-y Mars levels, which are visually outstanding in their own right, but nothing compares to Hell. The demon design is on point too, particularly for those who remember the 2D sprites of the older games. Every demon from the original games has been rebooted, all flawlessly. Every time a new demon was introduced, I was in awe. They got every single one right. Cacodemons and Lost Souls are even more terrifying than they are in the original. Pinkies and Barons from Hell are even more dangerous. They move faster than you and can wipe you out in a couple of hits. The only way to beat them is to outmanoeuvre them. The final bosses from Doom and Doom 2, Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind respectively, appear as boss battles in this one too. As you'd expect, the battles are epic. There's also a third boss battle where you fight some Hell Guards, perhaps the only new enemy in the series. More likely I'm just forgetting about their appearance in the older games. There are also plenty of easter eggs. Each level contains two "Doom guys", an action figure in the guise of a Doom marine. When you pick them up they play a short rendition of the original Doom theme. Each level also contains a classic map to be unlocked. These are the hardest secrets to find. You must find a lever to open a door. Both lever and door are typically very well-hidden, and you can't reveal them on the mini-map as you can with all the other secrets. I had to use a guide to find most of them. I stumbled upon a couple by blind luck, but it's virtually impossible to find them even if you scour the whole level multiple times. You can play the classic maps once you've unlocked them. The graphics are identical to the original game, except the weapon graphics and the enemy graphics stay modernised. Somehow it works really well. It also served as a stark reminder of how difficult the original game was, but I suspect this rendition is even more difficult because you seem to take far more damage per hit than you did in the original. I couldn't even finish the third classic level. Far too difficult.

Doom is a throwback in every way apart from two things. One is the graphics. The second is achievements. The game is packed with achievement-style mini quests. Each level has three challenges to complete. Things like "kill a certain demon in a certain way five times". Each weapon upgrade has a similar style of challenge to master the weapon, which gives your weapon more power or flexibility. There are also runes which provide a passive ability. Runes are also upgraded by completing a challenge. All of this is strictly optional, but I'm a completionist and I can't help myself, so I completed every single one. I'm of two minds about in-game achievements. On the one hand, they can provide some interesting skill-based challenges which can add to the overall gameplay experience. On the other hand, poorly designed achievements only serve to get in the way and frustrate the player, or compel them to play poorly/against their style to tick some boxes. Most of the Doom achievements fall into the former camp. I could fairly easily complete most of the challenges just playing the game as I normally do, or with some uncostly modifications. However there were some points where I was compromising my own play, waiting for the right moment to kill three demons with a single charged Gauss beam instead of just killing them and getting on with my life. Those were frustrating. I'm partially to blame for my inability to resist, but the game also holds some responsibility for having them in the first place. Generally I dislike achievements, but to Doom's credit most of the challenges were very well-thought out and offered tangible rewards. I still think the game would have been better without them, but it's not the end of the world.

On the whole, the game is excellent. A huge success. It took my back to my younger days when I spent a lot of time playing the likes of Unreal Tournament, Quake and Team Fortress 2. It's my preferred type of FPS game, running, jumping, turning, shooting at breakneck speeds with your life on the line. To be honest, I think Doom has done it better than any of its predecessors. I have yet to play the multiplayer, but I doubt I will. I've heard it's lousy, and I'm done with multiplayer gaming. I've had my fill. If I ever have the desire to play again, there's a ton of post-game content outside of multiplayer.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to sacrifice a day on Horizon because I misjudged the length of Rise of the Tomb Raider, I completely forgot about the last city (it truly was the Lost City). This edition was definitely the one to play, though I did get a horrible glitch, but luckily, it was after I had already beaten the game and was just grinding out the last couple weapon upgrades for 100%, everytime I fast traveled it completely unequipped the bow,and I'd have to go in and switch to another bow and switch back to use it. Had this happened during the actual game, especially early on, it would have been game breaking and completely ruined the experience, so just a good thing it happened when it did. I had encountered another glitch a bit earlier and was literally seconds from deleting the save, since it would have left it impossible to 100%, luckily I gave it one more try and it sorted itself out...but even closing and completely restarting the game didn't fix the bow glitch. There was also one final glitch, in the sawmill, it happened to at least 1 or two enemies 100% of the time, luckily didn't happen anywhere else in the game, but it kept happening (and always did) there, I called it the scarecrow glitch, these pictures should give a hint as to why:

Spoiler

The first time it happened I was like "I don't remember there being decoy enemies Metal gear style in this." Still despite those few glitches, was a great deal of fun, really enjoyable. Now tomorrow, for a change of pace, I'll be playing a game about a badass chick with bow.

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing Digimon World Next Order. Just pissed they don't seem to have Gatomon. She's my favorite. Currently training my Garudamon

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After initially being disappointed/slightly frustrated with some aspects, Final Fantasy XV became one of my favourite games ever.

I'm currently going wild in the post game and still having a lot of fun!

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took down my first thunderjaw in Horizon, and my second. The tearblast arrows are a real game changer, only machines I haven't beaten now is the rockbreaker (which I'm sure is what I'm going to fight on an upcoming sidequest) and what I'm assuming is the final boss in the Deathbringer.

Tomorrow really comes the true test for the game, I'm done with the busy work, hunter trials, bandit camps, cauldrons, flowers, artifacts, statues, corrupted zones, upgrades...now it'll all be story missions and sidequests, see how much there really is to do once you get past the fluff.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm only a couple hours in and doing side stuff, but I am really, really liking FF15

Pleasantly surprised

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really? I thought this game would be right up your alley HF, what were you concerned about going in?

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the Platinum demo, I really didn't like the battles at all. They are growing on me

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nier: Automata - I'm a few hours in and I'm absolutely loving it so far. The different kinds of combat are a lot of fun, the music is amazing and the graphics are nice too. It's bounced around from making me feel charged up, kinda sad, amused and genuinely unsettled - so much fun!

2B is an absolute babe too.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked up Dying Light recently on a sale, i'm only 30 minutes in but man, this game is intense, loving it so far and I haven't even done a night run yet.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mass Effect: Andromeda. Got it about an hour ago.

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I completely forgot Nier was a thing. Just saw on my phone a PC issue was fixed so may toss it into a list to grab on a Steamsale.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

Thread Information