Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What Games Are You Playing?

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Games Are You Playing?

I really love the familiarity system in Nioh too, if you're like me, gives you encouragement to switch up the weapons, to max out the best of each kind. I had stuck with the ax/katana combo for most of the game because I was steady getting new better ones, but lately my ax and my katana got so good, that I'm not finding better, so I was able to then go and start maxing my other weapons. And I really think they did great with all 5 weapons, each fun to play with (once you unlock a few combo moves each), a lot of times I end up not liking spears (or, comparitively, staffs) in games, but I enjoy Nioh's almost as much as the other weapons, it's still my least favorite, but I like it none the less, I don't feel tedium in trying to max it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Are you a cop?
    Is it so bad to ask? I just want to know how you're playing a fan-made translation of a Japanese only game. Or how you found it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not at all, but it probably isn't wise to admit to a crime on a social platform.

There's websites out there that have all sorts of fans translations. I can't remember specifically how I came across it, I originally acquired it months ago and I can't remember how it came to my attention. I know afterwards Did You Know Gaming released a video on it and now one of the Easy Allies (former GameTrailers) is doing a series on it so just like the original card game itself, it appears I hopped on board at just the right time.

How's Star Ocean going @Emperor?

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emp is a member of the CYBER POLICE. Confirmed.

Everybody hide!

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    How's Star Ocean going @Emperor?
    It's going great. It's such a charming game. Running around this medieval world, the small towns, interacting with people and developing the story. The writing is excellent. Even the irrelevant NPCs have interesting things to say. Emphasis on exploration pleases me greatly. The overworld/combat system reminds me of FF12, but just better. Combat can get a bit annoying because the AI is so much better than me, but I'm learning. The crafting system is OK, I guess, but it does offer a nice change of pace from the general gameplay, and you can get some good stuff out of it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One negative for Nioh as I'm getting deeper into the game, the difficulty is starting to seem artificially inflated by having to grind down lifebars, you're coming up against the same types of people, just their life bars barely budge with damage, there's a point when that just gets tedious, especially when they can still kill you with one 2 hit combo. Spend 5 minutes grinding down an opponents life, bam, dead, start over.

Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarokMike View Post
    One negative for Nioh as I'm getting deeper into the game, the difficulty is starting to seem artificially inflated by having to grind down lifebars, you're coming up against the same types of people, just their life bars barely budge with damage, there's a point when that just gets tedious, especially when they can still kill you with one 2 hit combo. Spend 5 minutes grinding down an opponents life, bam, dead, start over.
    The lack of enemy variety is a big concern and it is somewhat frustrating in that regard to see reskins of an enemy or seeing the same group of enemies thrown out in the game. Same with the rehashing of bosses, I have fought a certain boss about 8 times as either a boss, side boss or regular enemy......and hardly any changes to the fight style if at all.

I am in the final region and have taken down 2 main missions, not sure how much longer the game has left but I am on a mission to take down all side and main missions. Game has been damn good.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Felt like I having a PS3 session earlier today.

I started off with some Ni No Kuni. I'm not sure where I'm going to find the time, but I'd love to do a completionist run where I collect all the monsters, complete the arena side-quest and craft all the equipment. The game is absolutely gorgeous, the Studio Ghibli art is brilliant and while it isn't the greatest JRPG of all-time, it has all the classic ingredients you want from the genre.

Also had a session of Tales of Xilia 2. It was strangely relatable, as the game takes place a year after the original and in the section I was playing in, the characters were reminiscing about the area we were in. So that was neat, what wasn't neat was the power creep. I was stomping my way through enemies all the way to the boss of the area (Volt) and his one attack just kept wiping me out. I thought I was going to have to go back and re-think my strategy, but on my third attempt, I just kept spamming him with attacks and there was nothing it could do. I have no idea if it was designed that way, but it seemed odd that it was so deadly on two occasions then a complete push-over the next.

As for Nioh, I've just completed the first main mission of the forth area and now I'm going back and completing all the sub missions from the third area.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni No Kuni is so good. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside when I play it!

Justin Valuable made this banner! YES! YES!YES!
    I Eat Cannibals

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stopped my forward momentum on Nioh for the time, region I'm on started draining the ever living fuck out of my elixer, so I've gone back Kodama hunting for the duel purpose of restocking.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And wrapped up NiOh Saturday night with a couple of dedicated hours, taking care of both the side missions AND the main story line mode all the way to the end. I took down 2 twilight missions and did not touch any of NG+ but I think I got my fix out of this, totaling 61% of the trophies. Altogether, a quality game throughout as I expected after playing the Alpha of this a little less than 1 year ago and this is going to be a very strong candidate for 2017 GOTY when we look back at things. In hindsight, I am glad Persona 5 got pushed back until April as it allowed me to sink my claws deep into this game and for the little less than 2 weeks that this game occupied my utmost attention, I felt this game gave far more good than bad.

Positives:

- Deep combat system. I basically used the axe and at times cheesed with it along with some magic and ninjitsu spells but surely there's so much more you can do with in this game. Very fluid combat style, very responsive combat style(Choose 60 FPS over better graphics), everything just feels so crisp. I think it is on Bloodborne's level of high pace, fast movement style of combat, if there's a game best to compare this to it would be Bloodborne which was masterful from a combat perspective(For me at least). You can get a good amount of ninja skills AND magic skills at your arsenal and you add a splice of guardian spirit and some items to help tilt the cards in your favor, and what you have is a game that can be played and beaten with many possibilities.

- Lengthy game albeit there can be some repetition in the side missions as you are essentially just backtracking a mission only this time you often are starting from the bosses room and working your way backwards for the goal in mine. You feel like you are getting your money's worth with the length of this game and the different amounts of level and exploration throughout. Now unlike with Souls games, there's no connection between levels so it isn't a case of Metroidvania where you explore and than end up stumbling a big shortcut to a previous level but the game hits it on home with the hub of each world.

- 60 FPS for a game like this is something not to be taken back by....I feel often that I died because I made a mistake and there was no slowdown that caused me to mess up. I felt in complete control in my actions and decisions, which is how it should be with a game like this. Game is also very fair with it's shortcuts and passageways that aren't too daunting for me to retrace your footsteps after a death.

- It keeps the real balance and joy Soulsbourne games give you while having it's own touch with the kodama minions which allow you to feast on additional items, elixirs(My choice always), weapons, amrita and gold.....and the different fighting stances in high, mid and low that give you so many fall back plans in tight and close combat where one mistake can cost you it all. It borrows the good from the series but it does not outright rip it off by any means which is absolutely important worth note.

Negatives:

- Biggest gripe I found myself if giving you 500 items to carry which to me is ridiculously low given you have 5 sets of armor, relic equipment AND items all included together. Often, I found myself offering equipment that I wasn't sure if they were one of a kind or not, just on the basis of getting more room to pick up items at stages. I could not put armor at the warehouse too which I don't quite understand the thought process, I would have simply dumped those one of a kind costumes to storage to open up more space. You get elixirs(Which is key) in these offering along with amrita(EXP) so not all hope was lost but it was a killjoy having to go and look at the worst equipment and just sell it off. My idea was if it wasn't good enough to wear, that I needed to clear the space for it.

- Enemy design/boss design is lacking and I think you can count on both your hands how many DIFFERENT enemies there are in this game. Hate to compare it to Dark Souls in this regard, but pretty much each world in Dark Souls had enemies with different battle styles that it was refreshing to see what FROM Software could come up with in each world when getting engulfed in each area. With this, I am not exaggerating in saying that you fight one boss maybe 9 times if you do all the side missions and main missions....and nothing changes in any of these fights except phase one is done away with for some of these battles. Felt kinda lame to not see any changeup with enemies in this game, even the bosses late in the game sort of borrowed from one another for the most part give or take 2-3 moves.

- If you aren't reading the descriptions prior to the levels and cutscenes, you will get somewhat lost with the story as it really goes all over the place but I think I sort of get the thought process but I think it could have been told better. You really have to read the descriptions during the loading screens and see every dead body's left behind's to get a better idea of what each level represented during this timeline and why it created a character.

- Music soundtrack sans 1-2 songs were lackluster and didn't give off a real triumph feel, especially when it comes to boss battles. It wasn't an awful soundtrack BUT it was lacking a real standout song that games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne put forth out there. The music fit the time line and everything but I wish it was done better.

The game all around is a real joy to play and I knew after playing all of the Alpha, Beta and Last Chance demos that this was an easy Day one pick up for me and I knew this game would be very good, not just as a Soulsbourne inspired type of game BUT as a stand alone title. I haven't even divulged into the co-op of this game or collected every single Kodama but I felt the game had enough challenge for me to not feel overwhelmed by any level at some point. I even 1 if not 2 shotted bosses towards the end of the game, including the final boss that I took down in my 1st try!

Willing to become a gun for hire for anyone here on PW who needs help in a sequence, just give the good word....

Next game, I am 1 hour into Knack which is a polarizing title for plenty so much like with The Order:1886 which I played last year, I want to see if this is a game that's quality as long as you didn't get it day one versus paying 7-8 dollars for(I fall under this category and that helped my thoughts on The Order:1886) or if the game just stinks altogether. So far so good with the game, it is alright though the checkpoint system kind of stinks, in particular the fact that when you die not only do you start back in the beginning of the sequence but the worst part is you don't leave off with the powers that you had as far as sunstones go which makes no sense to me. If you are taking me back to the beginning of a part, then give me all of my belongings prior to the death. Sort of curious decision.

Feel like I need to give the 1st entry a try if there's any chance I want the 2nd game down the line.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up a Nintendo 2DS a while back, it came bundled with Mario Kart & Super Mario Bros 2. Man, I'm bashing the hell out of Mario Bros 2, forgot how much fun it can be. Yes, I'm aware its a few years old, screw them I'm having fun playing the game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knack rules. Excited it's getting a sequel.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a word of advice to people going into Nioh, since there's no shortage of things to spend your points on, I suggest investing in the blinding spell and sloth, these two things really come in handy against bosses. Sloth slows them a bit, and blinding spell does exactly what it sounds like, and they don't aim their moves directly at you. The two most useful for tough battles, I've found.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been putting in some major time on my first Assassins Creed game (Unity) i'm just wondering how far I am from the end, spoiler for where I am

Spoiler

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya boy is nearing the end of Dark Souls 3. Tonight has been a productive as hell night. It started off with me finishing off Prince Lothric and his brother Lorian. The fight was surprisingly easy for a major part of the story. I think the cutscene was my favorite part as it was insanely creepy. After that, I've gone on to explore the optional areas. Oceiros was an odd one with it holding the nonexistent baby. The fight was quite easy with FUGS + lightning add on. Unintended Graves was a nice throwback to the beginning of the game. Just like the original boss, Champion Gundyr was not much of a challenge.

I'll be moving onto Archdragon Peak tomorrow night.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally topped the century mark in Nioh, doing a bit of grinding right now, just unlocked the weapon master Dojo missions, and only had enough proficiency in the katana and duel katana, really thought I used the ax more than that. The katana I actually had max proficiency with, all 9's. But the spear, the kusarigama, and the ax I was only about half way on, I know I could probably do it through the levels, but there's a quick side mission that only takes about 5 each to get past the number, now I just need to top off the ax.

Kinda funny, for the first 2 areas, I always had an ax equipped, now, it's probably my least favorite of the bunch...but still has it's uses. Came in real handy against the large gems, the tornado spin takes those right the fuck out.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very impressed that you blew by Champion Gundyr, a boss many have had a hard time with. You will be tested by the end boss of Archdragon Peak though Raven, I CANT WAIT for the next impression after that boss.

I beat Knack......

Like The Order 1886, this game would be dreadful getting for 60 dollars(Though there's more replay value) but getting that at almost 1/10 of the cost? Much better.

The game has so much potential man, like I can absolutely see the promise in it. I don't get the game being lifeless at all, do not get that gripe in the least bit. Game is colorful, has it's own charm, the platform sections that it does have are actually Cerny goodness and the game gives you solid length for a platformer. Game is no pushover as well. It was so frustrating playing this game because I knew this game was a launch title and kind of knew this was a game to have for the debut of the PS4 to give buyers something to buy so I knew this was not going to be fully polished and my 3rd complaint can be excused for this very reason so the fact that there is a sequel sort of gives me hope that Cerny and company may learn from the flaws of the 1st game and build upon that, which gives me reason to think the sequel could be solid if not very good.

Big Knack is so much fun, you feel so powerful and it gave you almost a Godzilla/King Kong/Rampage sort of feel to it which is fantastic, little knack just doesn't compare to the fun element of just smashing shit up and down. I wish there was more platforming and more Big Knack because those are by far the two best things as far as in-game experiences this game gave to me.

But the flaws of this game..........

1) The checkpoint system is ass. At times, I am just yelling out loud "Checkpoint, checkpoint, checkpoint, checkpoint! plz! " I am cool with not getting a cake walk each and every single time, I get it. Believe me I do....but to not restore your belongings the exact same position that you previously had I just don't understand as far as the sunstones go. Sunstones are VITAL, especially in a hard mode run(Like I did) in these situations that you get wiped out without them. Feels like at times, I had to do run after run to accumulate enough sunstones(And let me tell you, IF you play this game YOU BETTER GO FOR THE UPGRADE OF GETTING SUNSTOKE POWER AFTER KILLING ENEMIES. Cannot stress that enough, game was dreadful without it!) and if I blew it, it's regrinding essentially since....

2) The tradeoffs, like WTF? Is this a hard mode only feature? Knack's range is such shit outside of his Sunstone powers, so when ends up happening too many times in this game is when you try and go for a swing, the enemies will catch you in time to either beat you to the punch or a tradeoff where both you and the enemy die together which does you no good since you have to restart over. So many times, I try and seize an opening only for the enemy to have such recovery time to respond and trade off and essentially win the war. You can't recall how many times I had to replay part over part because of this nonsense.

This was on hard mode need I mind you.....cannot imagine what this "very hard" mode would entail? Given the enemies can one shot you and the health pickups often give you such a minuscule amount back that you end up dying still in one hit(Essentially making them worthless), how much harder can this game be? More enemies on a map?

3) The FPS drops were brutal in particular when there were segments(ESPECIALLY the end bosses) of having overcrowded enemies and or lasers/projectiles and given you have such a limited dodge and jump/double jump, it was sluggish and just rough to try and navigate around and go on the offensive. This excuse gets a pass for me because again this was a launch title and was new to this generation's/PS4's power so I expect and anticipate this to be resolved for the sequel.

4) There's tons of loopholes with the story and it does feel somewhat rushed where it doesn't capture the magic say a game it tried to imitate in Uncharted from a storytelling standpoint does. Game bounces around place to place, introduces characters that really don't matter much in the grand scheme of it all and the main antagonist you don't even get any satisfaction of fighting the person......Story does tend to go all over the place and there's so much flip flopping with characters in a matter of minutes where someone helped contribute to doing bad things who ends up turning good and someone who is bad ends up falling in love with someone they had no relationship with prior

Knack is also mistreated pretty badly throughout the game and is treated like a drone where the people often take advantage of it and you just kind of shrug and shake your head towards the other protagonists who view him as a tool or weapon. Knack just feels like a weapon who doesn't get to share too much personality with it's other protagonist which in turn makes the human companions he's with look pretty shitty for the most part.

5) I don't mind linearity but there was way too much scene by scene fighting of 2-3 enemies and BEING FORCED often to have to clear out a segment of enemies to progress. Very seldom could you evade enemies and just progress further in the game, you are forced to fight enemies that get as much if not more priority than you and can one shot you. Not a good recipe of game design success Mark Cerny. Just feels like you are very limited to how much you can change it up as far as progressing in the game, especially given the special knack powerups(Ala Vampire Knack, Crystal Knack etc.) cannot be played until after the 1st playthrough is done. HUH, you are getting 10 or 20 parts to get this thing and you can't even use it in the 1st playthrough?

Overall, there's promise and some good things this game does do well but the bad often overshadow it and you often find yourself frustrated with this game. Frustrated is the best word I can sum Knack up with but I will say that the game does deserve a 2nd chance and I am happy Cerny and Co. are getting this 2nd chance because these are very fixable mistakes. But to say I was getting frustrated with this game overall would be an understatement, having to replay segment after segment over the enemy and I trading shots was rather annoying.

Here's another "The Darkness" sort of intertwined between this thread vs the Retro thread but I will keep it here............................next game I am playing will be Kameo: Elements of Power, a game from Rare that escape me due to no XBOX console until the Xbox One.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Very impressed that you blew by Champion Gundyr, a boss many have had a hard time with. You will be tested by the end boss of Archdragon Peak though Raven, I CANT WAIT for the next impression after that boss.
    Really? I didn't think he far off from Ludex Gundyr at the beginning of the game. The only difference I truly noticed was that he is more aggressive in this form. When I get into a groove, it's hard to stop me. That's how some days I'll go through three bosses. Don't worry I've been warned about the Nameless King or what the boss' name is. I'm sure I'll be frustrated as hell. I know it's not beloved like the first game, but I may pick up DS2 if I find a good deal for it.

Oh yeah, I'm slowly playing Little Big Planet 3 since it's the free game of the month.

Today I've been listening to the PS I love You podcast episode about Horizon Zero Down. I can't wait to play it next week.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven* View Post
    Really? I didn't think he far off from Ludex Gundyr at the beginning of the game. The only difference I truly noticed was that he is more aggressive in this form. When I get into a groove, it's hard to stop me. That's how some days I'll go through three bosses. Don't worry I've been warned about the Nameless King or what the boss' name is. I'm sure I'll be frustrated as hell. I know it's not beloved like the first game, but I may pick up DS2 if I find a good deal for it.

Oh yeah, I'm slowly playing Little Big Planet 3 since it's the free game of the month.

Today I've been listening to the PS I love You podcast episode about Horizon Zero Down. I can't wait to play it next week.
    Gundyr has one attack with the boot that is so loose that there's no real answer for that boot if you try and get more than 1 shot in as it has a ridiculously quick windup and it will catch you before you can dodge out of it.

Yep Nameless King is the person, BY FAR the hardest boss in the game. Not even up for discussion.

Have you played the DLC Raven? You will LOVE the final boss of that? Best boss fight of the game.

I preordered Horizon: Zero Dawn via Best Buy, I am ready for Aloy too Raven. Kat has the crown of best female Sony exclusive protagonist but there's always room for 3rd place(Ellie 2nd)

Hoping it arrives at least Tuesday via shipping, maybe even Monday?

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be honest with you, Blindy. The only DLC I've ever bought has been the Witcher 3's. The DLC for that game added so many hours of gameplay to an already stacked game. I never really thought about buying DLC before, but I may consider it for DS3. Apparently I can buy a season pass for $25 that will include next month's The Ringed City DLC. I might do it.

I pre-ordered it with my Amazon Prime account. A decent discount for it, and guaranteed for release day. Although, I did the same for Pokemon Sun and it didn't arrive until Monday.

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is worth a double post. After my third attempt, the Nameless King has been defeated. The whole sequence was pretty cool, and may be one of my favorite of the game. He was certainly much harder than most of the bosses. His design is such a badass look. On each attempt, his moveset seemed to be different and even more erratic the second time. He was a little more predictable the final time which led to his downfall. A hard and long fight that was rewarding.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    Been putting in some major time on my first Assassins Creed game (Unity) i'm just wondering how far I am from the end, spoiler for where I am

Spoiler
    Disregard this, finished the game and hence answered my own question.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ni no Kuni

And the curse of safe game design.

Oh boy, if you're a fan of JRPGs and colourful charming worlds this game is right up your alley. It's a game that ticks all the boxes, hits all the right beats and has that one discernable mechanic that makes it stick out. And that's the active battle mechanic which is similar to an MMO RPG without the intuitive game design. There's no macro commands, you've got to scroll through menus and time to button press just right so your monster knows to block the enemies big bad powerful attack.

The battle system is disappointing, but at least they were trying something. The rest of the game just feels like they ran out of time and showed so much restraint that it leaves the game bland.

So the game has this Wizard of Oz deal where characters in Ni No Kuni (translated to Other World) are dopplegangers from the 'real' world. Their issues tend to reflect the real world issues so you've got to go backwards and forwards through each world. It's an interesting mechanic that with some polish could have made for a unique adventure. Unfortunately the game plays it incredibly safe and the real world is one of the most boring environments in the game. Outside of main story stuff, there's nothing to do there which is awful because you're constantly revisiting the place, facing off against the same recurring boss over and over again. It's always some weird green guy in a trench coat who tries to poison your familiars and the same basic 'hit and dodge' mechanic applies with little variation.

This lack of variety spoils what should have been a defining feature of the game and turns it into mindless back-tracking as you progress the story forward so you can explore more of Ni No Kuni.

Now Ni No Kuni isn't the only game that suffers from lazy game design. In fact it's all too common as developers take these cool concepts and proceed to make safe titles. The thing is, games don't have to be innovative to be enjoyable, they just have to be well thought out. Take The Last Of Us for instance, it's not an original game by any means, but the level of detail and thought put into the world makes it gripping from start to end. If you've run out of ideas, just give me incentive to explore and go on an adventure. Don't keep sending me to the same boring environment where I take on the same boss character and each character goes through the exact same resolution.

On the bright side, there are a few features I like. I like how streamlined side-quests are. Most of them are just standard fair, connect this person to that person, or defeat x amount of enemies but the way it rewards you by allowing you to choose the different perks is fun and I constantly feel like I've got to do all the quests so I can have all the right gear or items.

Speaking of, props to Ni No Kuni for the option to feed monsters. Pokemon would later incorporate it, but No No Kuni beat them to the punch and being able to feed the monster after the ball to get stat gains and unlock new abilities was one of the better mechanics the game has to offer.

Finally, props to Drippy. Easily one of the best JRPG characters of all-time and I've got no problem throwing him alongside Cloud, Sephiroth or the usual cast of characters you see.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Final Fantasy

It's just occurred to me that I'm awful at this game.

Not only do I continually order my units to attack thin air, I failed to equip them with armour and weaponry.

Y'see for the uninitiated, giving units a weapon or a piece of armour isn't good enough. You actually have to go into the menu system and equip them.

I went from doing single digit damage to double digit and the game is no longer a slog.

It isn't a bad game either. Within minutes I'd rescued a princess from an evil knight, met up with a witch and learned a magic trick from one of her brooms before fighting a bunch of no-good pirates in the second town.

I also decided to give the GBA version a test drive. It's a much faster paced game that has far more in common with the rest of the series, but I still find the 1987 version preferable. It's a product of it's time and the 8 bit aesthetics add to the charm. I feel like I'm playing a bit of history, where as the remakes feel phony to me, like George Lucas came in and added details that get in the way of the old school dungeons and dragons esque feel.

Thread Information