Thread: What Games Are You Playing?

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Games Are You Playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor
    When I play a platformer I want a nice, fun, charming, relatively easy/relaxing gaming experience.
    Hmmmm...

I'm beginning to wrap my head around why we vary so much on the genre. I was raised on games like Donkey Kong Country 2, which for a lot of newcomers is often written off as too frustrating and challenging. It seems like you've got a different approach and appreciate other aspects which I respect but we're rarely on the same page on certain games (except for Crash and Shovel Knight, both games rock).

While it's probably a good idea to take a break, I'd be curious to get your thoughts on games like Yoshi's Island, Kirby, Wario Land, Mischief Makers, Tombal, Disney Magical Quest, the Starfy series, Megaman Zero series, the 2D Crash Bandicoot games, Klonoa etc. Not necessarily difficult or easy games for that matter, but games bursting with personality and charm that offer more than running and jumping which you seem tired of.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I played Kirby's Dreamland for the Game Boy when it came out. Loved it at the time. Kirby's Pinball is fantastic too. But my recent forays into Kirby have been unsuccessful. Nowadays I find the games far too slow and straightforward. The Wario Land games are also great. Don't remember how many were released for the Game Boy, but I played at least two of them when I was a kid/teenager. Now, though, I imagine I'd feel the same way as I do about Kirby.

Shovel Knight is a very challenging platformer, and a frustrating one, but the difficulty of the game comes from great level design (and sometimes trolly enemies), so I don't hold its difficulty against it. I feel like I'm in full control of my character in Shovel Knight. My fate is in my own hands. Whereas in Ratchet and Clank things like the camera prevented me from being in full control and many deaths felt like cheap bullshit. Shovel Knight is so much smoother in comparison. Hell, you have a ton of relics (gadgets) in that game too, but shuffling through them is a breeze and can be done at the same time as moving around without compromising your movement and combat too much.

There are 2D Crash games?!

vCash
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will love Yoshi's Wooly World for the 3DS next month Emperor if you want an easy platformer. Will maybe get that game in the future on the go.

I am with Big Pete, I want a fun but challenging platformer. Kirby could never catch on to me because when I played Kirby 64, I found it extremely easy to just blow by, especially against the competition like the Banjo series and Conker on the N64. I love Jak 2 though I know you detest the game and then some but I am very surprised you did not like the 1st Ratchet and Clank. The guns are what make the game and series and make it so diverse.

Crash is so much harder than Ratchet and Clank, I am shocked you enjoy those games.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Donkey Kong Country 3(New 3DS), Gex: Enter The Gecko(PS3) Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the Game Boy Advance and they're surprisingly good. Granted, I only scratched the surface with them, but I initially wrote them off as cheap cash-ins like the later entries in the series.

With Shovel Knight, the game can be challenging, but there's also an action-adventure element to it which makes the game more tolerable. I could see somebody who doesn't enjoy the pure challenge of platform gaming enjoying the sense of progression in Shovel Knight and the cacophony of design choices the game made. That's why it's such a great game and unlike a lot of retro throwbacks is among the best of it's genre.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    You will love Yoshi's Wooly World for the 3DS next month Emperor if you want an easy platformer. Will maybe get that game in the future on the go.

I am with Big Pete, I want a fun but challenging platformer. Kirby could never catch on to me because when I played Kirby 64, I found it extremely easy to just blow by, especially against the competition like the Banjo series and Conker on the N64. I love Jak 2 though I know you detest the game and then some but I am very surprised you did not like the 1st Ratchet and Clank. The guns are what make the game and series and make it so diverse.

Crash is so much harder than Ratchet and Clank, I am shocked you enjoy those games.
    The Kirby series is difficult to pin down and everybody has their favourites. With 64, despite having a ton of really cool ideas, I remember finding it disappointing. Meanwhile returning to a game like Fun Pack/Superstar isn't as enjoyable as it once was since they're intended as co-op games so single player is really bland as a result.

I've yet to try them myself, but I think the handheld games would be well worth checking out since they're designed around single player experiences. Planet Robobot and Triple Deluxe are supposedly two of the best platformers on the 3DS, so I'd be keen to check them out at some point.

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am very surprised you did not like the 1st Ratchet and Clank. The guns are what make the game and series and make it so diverse.
    I didn't dislike Ratchet and Clank. I liked it, just not that much. Like I said, it's 5/10, not bad, but flawed. All my criticisms were just to inform people why it doesn't rank up there with my favourite platformers.

I am shocked you find Crash so much harder than Ratchet and Clank I think Crash is far easier.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang, I think Ratchet 1 is even easy in Challenge mode, which is not really that much of a challenge. Did you play PS2 or PS3 HD? Replaying it this last year (HD Version) I thought it was just as easy as I remembered.

-chaos-
    "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished up Outlast, really enjoyable horror title, I didn't settle in enough, the first scare I about jumped out of my skin, but after that only a scarce 1 or 2 caught me off guard, not sure if I'll try Whistleblower first if RE7 comes tomorrow. But it's a short game, so maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G/B View Post
    Dang, I think Ratchet 1 is even easy in Challenge mode, which is not really that much of a challenge. Did you play PS2 or PS3 HD? Replaying it this last year (HD Version) I thought it was just as easy as I remembered.
    I played the PS2 version. I checked out a video of the HD version and it looks fantastic, but that game also seems a lot more hand-holdy. Telling you which buttons to press and giving you hints every two seconds. But there's also extra dialogue which is pretty cool.

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I said my next game would be an RPG, and that's exactly what it is. Star Ocean: Till The End Of Time is under session. Five minutes in and I already love the game. Let me explain why. The protagonist is in a hotel with a female friend. After a short initial cutscene, you are outside her room. You can go in her room. You can examine the trash can, triggering a cutscene where the protagonist notices a lot of snack wrappers and comments on the female's weight. She slaps him, "Mind your own business!" That's awesome.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Domestic violence is not awesome.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    Domestic violence is not awesome.
    It can be...it can be.

Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Star Ocean is a game I've attempted to play 3 times and always find myself putting down.

I can never put a handle on why either, so even now I have this urge to figure whether it was me or if the game just handled poorly.

I do recall there's one section early on in the piece that I found frustrating. It's in the mine and there's a mini-game where you've got to use these creatures to take you to the next destination. I can't recall specifically why I had trouble with it, whether it was because it was completely random or I kept getting lost in the area but I'd usually move on and play something else.

To date myself, the last time I played it, Jason Schwartzman was promoting Bored To Death on a Late Night Show. Bored to Death premiered in 2009...so there you go. I imagine I must have played it after finishing Persona 4 since I bought that the day I saw Dragon Ball Evolution at the theatres.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished up Whistleblower, just more of what Outlast was, I think the layout of a few sections was a bit more frustrating, and it seemed like it was more in darkness (so looking through the camera) than not, which could get a bit migraine inducing, but still a fun game.

Since RE7 didn't arrive, and I've still got time to kill during the day, figured I'd jump to Hitman 2, a game I've never beaten, I rented it back in the day, but I didn't quite understand it, didn't even get past the first level before returning it. Playing it now, it's taking some getting used to with it's different, aneasthetic is pretty much useless for Silent Assassin runs, so you have to remain unseen, and procure cloths on site, which does make for a bit more of a challenge. But also the way the level's are laid out without the ability to clamber over short ledges causes some issues. In the second level, I did the entire mission in my standard suit without being seen, but it's impossible to escape that way without being seen, you NEED to have a soldier's uniform, all of the exits are covered, and the guards have far sight and amazing peripheral, practically behind them and they could see me. Still, do love a challenge, I look forward to beating the rest of it. Haven't played Contracts in years either, Blood Money has been my go to, despite owning Contracts on PS2. Now that I got them on PS3, I'll probably play them more often. Also got Absolute since it was only 4 bucks, I know it's my least favorite and screwed up some things that weren't broken, but I guess I could give it another go.

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Star Ocean is a game I've attempted to play 3 times and always find myself putting down.
    In contrast, I found it extremely difficult to put down. I was aiming for a relaxing one or two hours of gaming. Nearly six hours later, I finally switch the PS2 off So far the lion's share of the game has been cutscenes and story, but the voice acting is great and the characters are so engaging that I had a blast. They way they've injected medieval/traditional fantasy environments into a futuristic sci-fi universe is pretty clever. Battling is super fast and in some of the tougher fights it's hard for me to tell what is going on. The AI-controlled players are far superior to me at the moment. You need a lot of practice, and I imagine it will only become more complicated when I start unlocking more abilities. But it's extremely fun.

I also love the emphasis on exploration. The game has a map completion feature which rewards you with valuable items if you uncover 99% of the map. To do this you have to hug every single wall and enter every single nook and cranny. It's the kind of thing I like to do anyway, so it's great that I'm getting rewarded for it. Plus there are no random battles and the monsters are easy to evade most of the time. It's great.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoyed Till the End of Time, but it's been a long time since I've played it. I've got a serious backlog of RPG's to play through. I still need to complete Final Fantasy 4, 5, 9, 10, 12 and 13. Plus a load of RPG's on my PS2 HDD...

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Played a big ol' chunk of RE7, so far it's a damn fine game, good atmosphere, true survival horror.

I think the gun mechanics are kind of shit, not terrible, just something off about them. Definitely the game's weakest trait.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got around to beating Final Fantasy Tactics.

In the end, I spoiled my playthrough by making my team too powerful. Teleporting Dual Wielding Ninjas made short work of everything and took me out of the story. While it felt like I was playing on easy mode, I loved the freedom of being able to make those units and that's exactly why this is one of the best games I've ever played.

The PSP may have been an unreliable piece of hardware, but I loved it for giving us access to all these amazing PS1 JRPGs that never came out here. FFT is a classic and I'd put it alongside the Disgaea series as a must-play for SRPG fans.
    @Emperor it's great to hear you're enjoying Star Ocean. I loaded up my save the other day just to see how far I was into it. I'd roughly played 7 hours and found myself at some fairly large mining town. I had no sense of direction, so I went outside to some map I'd never been to before and fought some soldiers and mushrooms. One aspect of the game that threw me a little was movement in the game. Everything feels incredibly loose, so it's difficult to get caught up in the action when it feels like your player is skating around.

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I loaded up my save the other day just to see how far I was into it. I'd roughly played 7 hours and found myself at some fairly large mining town. I had no sense of direction, so I went outside to some map I'd never been to before and fought some soldiers and mushrooms. One aspect of the game that threw me a little was movement in the game. Everything feels incredibly loose, so it's difficult to get caught up in the action when it feels like your player is skating around.
    Very interesting. That's exactly where I am right now! Except I currently can't leave the mining town, so presumably you made some progress in the story and then you could leave to fight some mushrooms. The movement is extremely fast, but that doesn't bother me at all.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got around to beating Final Fantasy Tactics.

In the end, I spoiled my playthrough by making my team too powerful. Teleporting Dual Wielding Ninjas made short work of everything and took me out of the story. While it felt like I was playing on easy mode, I loved the freedom of being able to make those units and that's exactly why this is one of the best games I've ever played.

The PSP may have been an unreliable piece of hardware, but I loved it for giving us access to all these amazing PS1 JRPGs that never came out here. FFT is a classic and I'd put it alongside the Disgaea series as a must-play for SRPG fans.
    Would love to play FFT, but don't have a PSP. I might have to emulate it until I do own one.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the meantime, just about to start the PS4 HD remaster of Final Fantasy Type 0. I've heard mixed reviews of it, but if nothing else the opening cut scenes were pretty awesome and the story seems like something I'll enjoy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep us posted @BARCELONA.

I heard negative things as well, but since beating XV I'm curious to learn more about Tabata and his earlier works.

In the mean time...

As I count down the days until Nioh hits the store shelves, I decided to clear some more games off my back catalogue.

One game that has stuck around is the Super Nintendo cult classic Terranigma. This late cycle JRPG has everything you could ever expect from a 16 bit RPG like colourful and vibrant sprites, amazing music and an enjoyable story that doesn't get bogged down with dated FMVs. What I like about Terranigma is the way it tells it's story. As Ark, your quest is to regenerate world and the game has a ton of fun with this theme as you interact with spirits, fauna, birds, mammals and finally humans as society evolves.

It's also a game that doesn't hold back. One scene in particular was surprisingly impactful for a 16 bit game featuring talking animals. So you're traveling in the Himalayas when all of a sudden you accidentally create this avalanche and find yourself trapped inside a ravine. When you come to, you're greeted by a mountain goat who shares your predicament. After a couple of dialogue sequences, you find out that it's husband died in the avalanche which as the player makes you feel guilty. The game then goes pitch black as night fall beckons and the only sound you hear is the goat dispensing it's wisdom about loneliness. Anyways you come to and realise you're both starving to death. At this point, the music turns deathly serious as the goat realises the only way it's going to make it out of here alive is if it eats the husbands carcass. After going to such extremes, the goat is able to find a hidden passage in the ravine and reveals a room which only the human can escape from. The goat tells you to move forward before giving an impassioned speech about not giving up and how you can't let walls stand in your way.

As the player you're just supposed to complete the level and assume everything turned out okay for the goat. However as an easter egg, if you return to the spot, you'll find two carcass' instead of one. Despite it's extraordinary will to live, sometimes you cannot compete with nature.

And that's the type of story this game throws up. There seems to be all sorts of theologies at play which makes it different from the usual 'rescue the princess' or 'collect the magic crystals to take down the big bad'. It's all about fixing a mistake you made earlier in the game and taking care of all the life-forms on the planet.

It will be interesting to see how the game holds up. I'm about half-way through and I presume I've got a bunch of side content facing me.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently playing Yakuza Zero and World of FF and absolutely loving the shit out of both

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm feeling very conflicted about Final Fantasy XV.

I like it, but I'm not sure why. The story isn't interesting and neither are the characters. The graphics vary from "OK" to "is this a PSP game?" (I honestly think XIII looks better). The music is just...nothing. Driving is very boring and combat isn't much better. Fishing, cooking and photography all just seem very superficial. Considering it took so long to actually get made, the whole thing is just half baked.

But I'm still enjoying playing it. I've played better FFs and I've played many, many far better JRPGs overall...but I still like FF XV. I don't know exactly what I like...I've just got a weird desire to keep playing.

I've been giving Sleeping Dogs another play too and I still absolutely love it. One of my favourite games ever!
    PW World Heavyweight Champion - Today, Tomorrow, FOREVER

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm feeling very conflicted about Final Fantasy XV.
    Why don't you tell us about it in the FFXV thread.

I get where you're coming from though. FFXV is one of those games where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts and there's something comfortable about riding your custom Chocobo around, facing off against monsters and collecting rare loot.

As far as open-world FF games are concerned, there is still a lot of room for improvement. Still, it is a first for the series and an enjoyable romp.

Thread Information