Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What Games Are You Playing?

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Games Are You Playing?

I don't envy you. Did a completionist run back in the PS2 days with X and X-2. Not too fun honestly.

-chaos-
    "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by G/B View Post
    I don't envy you. Did a completionist run back in the PS2 days with X and X-2. Not too fun honestly.
    I tried for something like that but the lightning plains consecutive streak for (Lulu's I think?) the final weapon is ridiculous, that's what killed it for me.
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm dreading the Thunder Plains and Chocobo Sidequests. I could see them taking me months to beat, which is why I feel like this is something I'll finish 10 years later.

Most people dream about climbing Mt. Everest or completing a Triathalon. Me? Dodging 200 lightening bolts in a 15 year old game is the ultimate.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I never did complete the lightning bolt dodging sidequest, and I spent a good chunk of time trying. Who thought that was a good idea? The Chocobo racing one felt impossible at first, but in the end it didn't take me that long. A couple of hours, maybe. There's also one where you have to run through narrow paths dodging butterflies in the forest dungeon (whatever it's called). Took me a while, but I did it eventually.

What made me give up on FFX was the ridiculous amount of levelling you needed to do to even have a chance against the weakest of the ultimate bosses. Those guys get to billions of HP and you have to get to 99999HP and max out all your other stats, which would take fucking forever.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What struck me most about my session, is how well thought out the game was artistically. Each location has it's own distinct design and you can tell so much about each NPC just from the way they dress. Not only is the game effective at informing the player with visual cues, it stands out from other JRPGs, so it sticks with the player all these years later.

Also, the story was a lot better than I remembered. One of the reasons I found Tidus so endearing is because his plight reminded me of Fry from Futurama. A bit of a naive twit ripped out of his timeline into this universe where everything feels back to front. It was one of the more compelling plot points of Futurama, and FFX gets some good mileage out of it.

I also forgot the early character development that takes place. Originally Tidus only tags because he's fantastic at Blitzball and he reminds Wakka of his deceased brother. It's only when Yuna realises he's related to Jecht that he's accepted as a member of the pilgrimage. Not only does it play out naturally, it raises so many questions. How did Jecht find his way to Spira? What was Jecht like around Tidus? What was he like around Yuna?

It surprises me, because even back then, it seemed like the awkward and silly moments stood out more. They still exist mind you - anytime Tidus has a dream I find myself laughing at the writing and there was this weird scene on the way to Kilkia where Tidus and Yuna start laughing at the sea breeze but there were some cool plot points at play that I had forgotten about.

My only other gripe, that seems like a bigger issue now than when I was 12-13 was how much they objectified Lulu and Rikku. Not because of the male gaze or anything like that, but because you have these major plot points going on, and for whatever reason you're getting a close up of a 16-year olds arse in your face. It'd be like in Sophie's Choice instead of focusing on Meryl's face, they cut to her arse while she made her choice.

It's just cool to revisit an old favourite and somehow it blows your expectations away.

Never the less, it's time to return to FFXV which I'm also really enjoying.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished up Super Metroid, such a good god damn game, just game design at it's finest. Didn't 100% it, missed 1 energy canister, a few missiles, and several super missiles and bombs, 82% all thing considered.

Still got about a week for RE7, since I'm on the SNES anyway, might give Donkey Kong Country a go.
    Last edited by RagnarokMike; 01-18-2017 at 05:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished Alan Wake, and the 2 DLCs, The Signal and The Writer. The story got over the place here or there(Either that or it just flew over my head) but the gameplay had some very good moments. The game is much better than Quantum Break, at least for me. Remedy still has no idea how to incorporate platforming elements into their games which hurts my head, they have had like 6 years to correct this yet they can't. The platforming portions of these games felt very rough where I would fall off the map in some funky actions. Quantum Break suffered from the inability of trying to jump and make platforms for the sake of exploration and I think Wake actually did it better in that regard.

The 1st half felt very survival horror alone, the 2nd half with co op partners(And I have to take back my complaint that the AI was awful, Chapter 5's AI partner was badass, in like 10 minutes alone she is a better co op partner than Dom from Gears of War) sort of ruined the element of scare/thrill though the game in given portions did have some big moments of having you get chased around.

Each of the DLCs were barely an hour and the credits were 1/10 of the overall timer of that thank god for some Space Oddity to keep you through the credits.

Unlike with Quantum Break, these collectables I think were better done and weren't so overcomplex with the descriptions where it took you 2-3 minutes alone to go through a file during the game to try and understand the story. The ability to do this in a storytelling fashion helped for the matter. The simplicity of combat for this game was the right move for a game like this, nothing ridiculous, the protagonist you played never felt OP and felt like a ridiculous person who can take on everyone and everything.

All I have left is Alan Wake's American Nightmare and that's a standalone DLC so that might be a playthrough I go later in the year, maybe during Summer.....1 day left before I get my hands on Gravity Rush 2 so I won't start any new playthrough. I want to tackle Animal Antics and beat K Rool in The Lost World for Donkey Kong Country 2, I need about 10 more coins to make the reality come true.

Animal Antics is hands down the toughest level in the franchise, no contest. It's worth the playthrough alone in itself, especially the Squawks part that is ruthless.
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your boy here is a major dumbass. For the longest time I have been trying to figure out how to upgrade my Etus flask. I figured moving ahead it would be difficult to get through with only three uses. I had three shards to use, but for some reason Andre wouldn't reinforce it for me. It turns out that I forgot to grab the Ashen etus flask at the beginning of the game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

11 gig update for FF15.

Get that shit outta here!

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sort of a Dark Souls III update from me. A little less than a week, and I'm finally half way through the game. My pace is about one or two bosses a day. From what I've played, I find this game to be so much easier than Bloodborne. The bosses seem so much easier with only one or two giving me any trouble. I hated that damn poison swamp. That may be from my experience with the series now? One thing I do like is the amount of weapons one can choose from. They are all over the place giving the option to find something you like. I keep switching between the butcher's knife and an ax that I forget the name of.

New Overwatch event this week for Chinese New Year. Unlike the previous events, this one only lasts a week. The skins look fantastic, and I need them all. I'm a bit rusty since my PSN expired last week.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PlayStation 4
    Final Fantasy XV
    Nioh Last Chance Beta
    Tales of Beseria Demo

PlayStation Portable
    Final Fantasy Tactics

PlayStation 2
    Final Fantasy X

PlayStation 3
    Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
    Rugby League Live 2
    Rugby League Live 3

Game Boy Advance
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Wii U

Splatoon
    Tokyo Mirage Shift #FE

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Raven* That's like 2 players on this forum that has said they had trouble with Bloodborne. Poison Swamp? If I recall that may actually be an optional area unless you want to get one of few umbilical cords. But there is a poison rune that has 100 Resistance in poison and having a few antidotes can be pretty handy too. I'd take the poison swamp over those fucking rock throwers tho. I think I'll get into Dark Souls III when all the DLC come out for it.

I've been playing that Nioh thing myself...I don't think I'll be good at this one. ._.

-chaos-

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished the NiOh Last Chance demo(Last day to do it, ends 1/23!)

Beat the only boss I needed to beat in about 90 minutes from the start of the level to the end, and I got the final DLC Headgear that I needed as I earned everything else from the Alpha and Beta and besides the Twilight levels I did everything possible. 2 weeks away, DAY ONE PURCHASE! SO good, this game is SO GOOD. Been on board after the Alpha, this and Overwatch won me over with stellar Demos that didn't disrespect the gamer and gave forth final product games for the most part.

My roar after I took down the main boss of the Last Chance beta was immense. She downed me about 8-9 times but the 10th time I was all over her, needed 1 elixir for 3/4 of the fight and due to sheer impatience she got me to waste 3 out of the 5 elixirs before I rocked her.

6 chapters in with Gravity Rush 2, so far so good. It does have some eerily similar missions to the original(Not even kidding they are like the same premise) but this game is ridiculously deep with the amount of side missions, photo mode, challenges and information/dialogue to be had. I thought I would not touch an open world game until Horizon but I forgot Gravity Rush is essentially an open world game in itself. They gave Kat emotes now
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Raven* That's like 2 players on this forum that has said they had trouble with Bloodborne. Poison Swamp? If I recall that may actually be an optional area unless you want to get one of few umbilical cords. But there is a poison rune that has 100 Resistance in poison and having a few antidotes can be pretty handy too. I'd take the poison swamp over those fucking rock throwers tho. I think I'll get into Dark Souls III when all the DLC come out for it.

I've been playing that Nioh thing myself...I don't think I'll be good at this one. ._.
    I think he means the place to light the torches, that's mandatory(Farron Keep)

Raven it gets harder after
    Spoiler
    , you will get a challenge very soon enough. Not anything that surpasses Bloodborne: The Old Hunters DLC(Esp on NG+) though.

Butcher Knife was my end game weapon Raven, it scales SO GOOD with strength. If you are a building a strength character, it goes to S Class, one of the very few weapons that can do that.

EDIT: Oh I think you mean the place you fight Amygdala G/B, I forgot the name of it but I know what you mean.(Been over a year since I played Bloodborne)
    Last edited by Blindy; 01-23-2017 at 01:28 AM.
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Farron Keep is the location I'm talking about. Overall, the area isn't even difficult but more so tedious. The constant fat rolling and poisoning gets old after awhile. The Abyss Watchers was sort of a challenge simply because I was being impatient.

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven* View Post
    Yeah, Farron Keep is the location I'm talking about. Overall, the area isn't even difficult but more so tedious. The constant fat rolling and poisoning gets old after awhile. The Abyss Watchers was sort of a challenge simply because I was being impatient.
    It's Blighttown Lite. Did you get the optional route from Farron Keep? You get a new optional place that is mandatory to start the DLC that has the best boss fight(IMO) in the game.
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Blindy Yeah, I was talking about the Nightmare Frontier. Poison Swamps, bell ringing wenches that bring invaders, and rock throwing bastards. Hate that place myself.

-chaos-

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Blindy Yeah, I was talking about the Nightmare Frontier. Poison Swamps, bell ringing wenches that bring invaders, and rock throwing bastards. Hate that place myself.
    The worst part of that place are the most broken enemies in the entire series(Yes over skeleton pinwheels)

Evil isn't even a word to describe these things. Between the hymning and the frenzy damage they put forth on you, they are vile. Didn't know what the heck it was doing when I first saw it.
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    The worst part of that place are the most broken enemies in the entire series(Yes over skeleton pinwheels)

Evil isn't even a word to describe these things. Between the hymning and the frenzy damage they put forth on you, they are vile. Didn't know what the heck it was doing when I first saw it.
    Yeah, I don't know what From was thinking about that one. Doesn't help that if you have a ton of insight the damage actually get worse. The whole thing is a damn mystery for new players, so that was bs. I just slap my 200 frenzy resistance rune and just run past those for the most part but they are vile. Buy alot of sedatives too.

-chaos-

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    It's Blighttown Lite. Did you get the optional route from Farron Keep? You get a new optional place that is mandatory to start the DLC that has the best boss fight(IMO) in the game.
    Maybe? Are you talking about the place with the stray demon near the Old Wolf of Farron?

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven* View Post
    Maybe? Are you talking about the place with the stray demon near the Old Wolf of Farron?
    Nope. Two optional bosses and the opening to the DLC.
    Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure Terrarria is quite for me, I'll give it a deeper go sometime, maybe once I really get going I'll find it's charm, but doesn't quite feel like my thing. Only$5 so not a terrible loss.
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yakuza Zero should have arrived while I am at work

Yakuza 2 is in my top 5 games ever and everyone seems to be saying Yakuza Zero is the best of the series. Thus, you can imagine how hyped I am

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Finished Ratchet and Clank today. Over the last two days I've played it for 6-8 hours. It's not because I'm in love with the game and can't get enough of it. It's because I wanted to finish it and move on ASAP. It's not a bad game. It's quite fun. But it's not great, and it has far more frustrating moments than the average platformer. It's a solid 5/10 game. Nothing more.

The story and characters were a bit better than the average platformer (the main villain in the game is a god-tier cunt. Good job on that, Insomniac), but the meshing of platformer and 3rd person shooter gameplay didn't make it any more fun. If anything, it made it a bit less fun. One problem is that there are far too many guns. Half of them are completely useless except for very specific situations in which a better gun can be used almost as effectively. Having to constantly go to the menu to change your equipped weapon (because you can't always have every weapon/gadget you want in the quick select menu, and using that menu doesn't pause the action so you can get hit while changing weapons) was annoying. The second problem is that the game had a habit of throwing really annoying enemies at you, and then spamming them at you throughout the level in greater numbers and in more difficult situations. The last three or four levels in a row were just that. The gameplay got monotonous, you make mistakes and die, go right back to the start of the level or a checkpoint you reached half an hour ago, get frustrated and thus make more mistakes. Repeat ad nauseam. The poor automatic camera didn't help. The zoom level would change constantly as you move, making it difficult to judge the reach of your attacks and those of your enemies. It would also zoom right in at the point where your character is surrounded by enemies, forcing you to attack spots off-camera like a blindfolded wrestler trying to grab his enemy. Maybe that was a deliberate design choice, but it was a shitty one.

It's a pretty unforgiving game, more often than not for the wrong reasons. When I play a platformer I want a nice, fun, charming, relatively easy/relaxing gaming experience. Ratchet and Clank ticked most of those boxes, but especially not the last one, to the point where I was screaming curses throughout the last couple of levels.

I think I've burned myself out on platformers. I started up Super Mario World last week and found it extremely tedious. Running, jumping, running, jumping, what's the point? I need to sink my teeth into a super long RPG before I try another platformer.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up getting enough Gamestop points that I got Yakuza 0 outright for basically free, technically I did put somewhere around 6 hours of work in for it, doing random surveys, but not all at once, so it really didn't feel like much.

Thread Information