Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: What Games Are You Playing?

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Games Are You Playing?

Nier Automata - After just jumping from mission to mission, I decided to sink my teeth into 2B and customise her character. No wonder I was Mr. Moneybaggs, I was depriving 2B of all the best skills and attributes. The game obviously opened up a lot more and I was really becoming engrossed in the action. I just had that fight against Adam & Eve where they're about to kick your arse but they leave when 50% of their HP is depleted, so still early days in the grand scheme of things. There's a lot to like about this game, but I am beginning to feel open world fatigue. After going through FFXV and Breath of the Wild, a lot of it feels sort of lazy and takes out the sense of adventure when you can just farm for items in the usual loot spots. It's a cliche in an otherwise enjoyable romp.

New Super Mario Bros for Wii U - I can't believe the amount of hate this series gets. If you like Mario World or Super Mario Bros 3, there's really no reason you should hate these games. In fact, if I was introducing my little cousins to the Mario series, I'd much prefer to show them this than any of the old school games first since there's so much for them to do. Don't get me wrong, in comparison to the Rayman series and the Donkey Kong Country Returns series, I can see the disappointment, but as Mario games the series holds up well. Now if the backlash was because it was a launch title, I can get that. Really, unless you're releasing a HD remaster of the original Super Mario Bros All-Stars as a free title with the system, I don't see the point of releasing the games as a system seller. I could also be confusing it with the 3DS game, which I never got around to playing. I did buy the original DS title before it even launched down under and absolutely loved it. In a lot of ways, I think it's a shame it's seemingly looked over for Super Mario Bros 3, World and even Mario Land. It was a good game, that was probably hurt by the franchise it inspired. But I don't know, it sort of feels like blaming Wind Waker for Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Tri Force Heroes because it had the same aesthetic. I don't know, in my books they're good games and when you consider that the Wii U had Donkey Kong Country Returns, Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Mario Maker and all those awesome indie 2D games I think it was the best 2D platforming system of this generation...

...that is until Microsoft releases Cuphead. Hell yeah @Blindy, Twitch that for me, Twitch it real hard.

Last but not least, I was in a PSX mood so I got my mits on the Adventures of Little Ralph. It's a Japan-Exclusive action-platformer, where you go around trying to eat fruit, collect hearts and try not to die. Only got a few stages into it, but it seemed pretty basic from what I played of it. Almost like it could have come out during the 16-bit era with different animations and it would be fine. It wasn't the best first impression, admittedly though there did seem to be a lot of hidden pathways I was missing and I wasn't playing that well which can hurt.

Also played some original Crash Bandicoot. Of all three PSX Crash games, the original was the only one I never bothered going out and buying. Before I got my PS1, my memory of Crash was that the sequel just did everything better and completely made the original irrelevant. While it's been ages since I played through the sequel, the original was a fun enough game on it's own merits and the variety of the first few stages was really cool. I really dug how the game teaches you all the mechanics inside the first couple of levels, then just throws you into all these fun scenarios. Sometimes platformers sort of just stick to a theme for about 5-6 levels and it gets old pretty quickly. Crash at least mixes it up so you can be in a sidescrolling platformer one second, then the next you're running away from a giant boulder. Now here's something I'm pretty ashamed to admit, I actually died on the first boss. I had no idea how to damage him. I over-thought it and thought you either had to attack his stomach when he tried to bash you with his stick, or claw him in the love handles and fat shame him. Instead, he's a Donkey Kong Country 1 boss! Just jump on his head. Bah! Otherwise Crash is still awesome and I'm so glad a new generation are getting to experience this series.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Died a few times on the first boss. I don't think there's any shame on one hit death games. Except you Bubsy

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think most people die at least once on the first boss, it's a one hit kill and you have to figure out the sweet spot.

Either way, almost done with Alundra, but dammed if some of the bosses don't continue to drag the whole thing down. Get to one of the nightmare bosses, and it's a giant blob, it takes 10 minutes of constant damage to finally drop the son of a bitch, wasn't hard, didn't hit me a single time, but just ten minutes of purely tedious grinding. So I'm thinking that was terrible, I reach the second area boss and think "Hope this one isn't as bad as the last one...TWO of those same fucking blobs spawn, and in a smaller area. Do they take less damage? Certainly fucking not. And because of the space you have, you can't land shots as consistently, as you have to hit these things 5 consecutive times to do a single hit of damage (has an eyeball that works it's way down, needs to be at the bottom), and since there's two in a small space, one or the other is constantly moving in front to stop the progress, so it takes much longer than the 10 solid minutes per to take out one or the other. Another boss that by then end I went from annoyed, to furious, to so angry I almost quit the game and deleted it. Probably took a half hour to finally get them down. And these aren't fun bosses, I don't mind a grind if I'm having fun, but this was nothing close to it. Misery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did it. I beat the original Crash. Those later levels can be quite tough. If not for the save feature (I don't remember being able to save freely in the original) or knowing enough to stock pile lives I doubt I ever would've. Sure I won't ever 100% the game, but FUCK THAT! I can cross one game off my list that beat me. Not anymore.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm remembering right, in the original Crash, you could only save when you earned a gem or beat a bonus level, inconvenient as hell.
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And bonus levels aren't exactly easy to access either. You've got to collect three tokens which can force you to get three quarters of the way through a stage to complete it.

Early game design flaws intrigue me. In Super Mario World, the only way to save your progress was to clear a special stage and yet it receives a free pass.

DKC2 requires you to unlock Winkly Kong on the World Map which is problematic, especially in Gloomy Gulch where it takes four difficult levels to unlock her.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished up with Alundra, fantastic game really, truly put effort into its puzzles. Not sure if modern gaming has made my mind lazy, but loathe as I am to admit it, I had to cheat and look up a couple solutions, a dozen moving parts and only one solution, wracking my brain. A few bad design choices though, once I couldn't figure out what to do next, and you had to entirely leave the area, move to another section of the map entirely, and circle back for the final switch, way too obtuse. And the platforming could be a bit iffy, because it was often hard to tell the exact depth or height of the jumps. Also the combat could be a bit frustrating, because you could only attack on an X and Y axis, but often the enemy would be just askew from it, so you'd swing and miss. But aside from that a couple bosses that took an obscene amount of damage, very well designed game, fun start to finish, truly challenging puzzles, highly recommended. If you're a fan of Zelda, it's basically that with stronger puzzle elements and harder bosses.

Moved on to Tales from Borderlands, a fan of the TellTale games, and I loved the first chapter when it was free. Now PS+ gave the whole thing, so I'll make my way through it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Crash 2... yeah, fuck bees.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just spin like a motherfucker when the bees are coming, kill it, move a bit, do it again, make sure to dig under whenever possible. They'll still get you every now and then, but they are pretty manage-ably killable.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crash 2 in the books. I never owned the game, but did rent it a few times although I don't remember beating it. Which may be why I skipped on Crash 3.. Always liked the crystal gimmick they added. A few levels were quite tough, but not on the same level as some of them in Crash. Used Coco a lot, although it would've been nice if she played differently to justify it.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Playing through FF7 reminds me why it is my favourite game of all time. I've done the first portion of the game a million times, but doing it once again felt like a new experience, super fun, and I'm constantly picking up little things I didn't know or had forgotten. I'm avoiding random battles so it's basically a low level playthrough, forcing myself to play the game more carefully. I've learnt some things about the battle/equipment mechanics I never knew, such as some weapons doubling AP for materia in their slots. Also done some speedrun tricks like getting Big Guard (the most OP enemy skill) at the earliest moment. My party is Cloud, Yuffie and Vincent, because I've barely played the optional characters. Just finished the Wutai sidequests as soon I got the Tiny Bronco. Didn't think it was possible to do them that early, but I managed. Challenging but possible until I got to Godo, the final boss in the Pagoda. You fight him one on one with Yuffie, and once he gets to low health he counters every attack with Cure 2, healing about 1200 HP. I had no attacks that dealt that much damage, so I thought it was an impossible task. Then I did some research and found out you can poison him. He doesn't heal after the poison ticks, so you just wait it out. Staying alive is easy if you don't have to dedicate turns to attacking. So I cheated at the last hurdle, but it still felt good to complete Wutai so early. Next is Temple of the Ancients, and Demon's Gate.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Emperor! Even though I was critical of Final Fantasy VII the one aspect that I thought was undeniably great was the side-content. The game just throws so much choice your way that it makes each journey through feel different. I have the game on my PS3, but one of these days I'll have to buy the Steam/PS4 version and just play through it without having a guide handy all the time.

Good stuff.

Beyond The Beyond (PSX; 1995) - So as I've been telling Shinobi in the Retro thread, one of my time killers is going through the GameFAQ database and taking stock of certain categories. One of those is just the JRPG genre in general which led me to the 140th JRPG, Camelot's Beyond The Beyond, an early PlayStation release. Aside from being the first JRPG to come out for the system, what caught my eye about the game is that it was developed by Camelot, the makers of Golden Sun, the developers behind Shining Force III and (most importantly) Mario Tennis. It's a really rough JRPG and looks like it could belong on the Mega Drive but it has a couple of things going for it. It has the button timing mechanic from Final Fantasy VIII and Legend of Dragoon which makes battles extra engaging. The story also took an interesting twist where it looked like they killed off your friend inside the opening 30 minutes. She gets dragged underwater by a Kraken and the game treats it like she's dead and you're going to have to avenge that memory for the rest of the game. That would have been super dark and I would have loved the balls on that, but the game chickens out and uses the moment to show you how important Spirit Water is in this world. Still, it seems like the game isn't afraid to go in that sort of direction and I love dark openings like that. It reminds me of Final Fantasy XII where you play as a character that gets killed of inside the opening 10 minutes, or even Final Fantasy 9 with Blank and how you want to acquire SuperSoft ASAP to save him. Decent JRPG, I just don't know if I have the time to sit through and actually play the whole thing to see if it gets better or what direction it goes in. If anyone has played it, should I continue?

Suikoden (PSX; 1995) - Another early PlayStation classic and arguably Sony's best original series, Suikoden is a classic JRPG that has eluded me. I didn't really play all that much of it really, just a taste before bed but I was really impressed with the town and how many different characters they had. JRPGs back then, every town only had a dozen people, in Suikoden it at least feels populated and each character has some sort of personality which is what I want out of this genre. I would have barely played 10 minutes, so nowhere near enough, but I know there's some Suikoden fans in the house and since HF swears by these games, I'm going to have to play through 1 and 2 in the not too distant future. Oh and for interest sake, Suikoden was the 144th JRPG to come out, releasing a week after Dragon Quest VI on the Super Nintendo.

Also realised my copy of Crash Bandicoot is the infamously glitched rip doing the rounds (it always glitches out at Rolling Rocks) so I'm going to have to find a better rip.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Suikoden games are on my bucket list; hope to pick them up at some point. I'll have to check out that GameFAQ database. Sounds like a goldmine.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gamefaqs --> Search --> Advanced Search

Then go nuts with the filters.

If I want a specific genre I'll go...

Category - Action RPG
    Sort - Oldest To Newest

And if I want a specific platform...

Platform - PlayStation 1

and region...

Region - North America

Sometimes with sort it's good to go with User Rating.

It's pretty self-explanatory, but that's just my process.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished up with TellTale Game of Thrones, TellTale is just damn good at delivering regardless of the property, felt right at home in Game of Thrones. Love to see other houses. Disappointed that evidently Tales from Borderlands wasn't a success, one of my favorites.

Either way, next up, my plan was to get Evil Within before the sequel, but I missed that I had another already released game at the bottom of my que (I always only leave upcoming games, so I can have a game open when they release; I add other games when I have time between new ones), so Muramasa: the Demon Blade it is. I absolutely adore Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, so I can't wait to jump in.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stick with Suikoden 1 for sure. It's not particularly long and it enhances Suikoden 2 which is one of the best JRPG of all time.

1 as a stand alone game is still a really solid, fun game too

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking before Sonic Mania hits this Tuesday that I can sneak in a game for the next 2 days to play through and I have been meaning to jump back to the God of War series given God of War Reboot is easily one of 2018's biggest titles on deck. GOW 1 I have played twice so this game is not blind by any means but man that Hydra battle to start the game and series was intense, maybe not in 2017 with so many games using the QTE to a tee but this was among the 1st games to utilize the QTE in the proper way IMO. Great boss battle to kick off what has been a big mainstream title. I have heard over the games that Kratos gets more and more unbearable but I liked him a lot in GOW 1, very vindicated character that's unapologetic and knows what he is.

Want to get God of War 1, 2, 3 and maybe even Ascension/Chains of Olympus/Ghost of Sparta out of the way before next years God of War reboot. All the other GOW titles outside of 1 are completely blind to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarokMike View Post
    Finished up with TellTale Game of Thrones, TellTale is just damn good at delivering regardless of the property, felt right at home in Game of Thrones. Love to see other houses. Disappointed that evidently Tales from Borderlands wasn't a success, one of my favorites.

Either way, next up, my plan was to get Evil Within before the sequel, but I missed that I had another already released game at the bottom of my que (I always only leave upcoming games, so I can have a game open when they release; I add other games when I have time between new ones), so Muramasa: the Demon Blade it is. I absolutely adore Odin Sphere Leifthrasir, so I can't wait to jump in.
    Have not played Game of Thrones, heard very sour reviews on it but it was free for PS Plus.

Tales from the Borderlands was FANTASTIC, probably the 2nd best Telltale game after TWD S1 for me. Would have Wolf Among Us(SEASON 2 has been announced, if that game can get one Tales from the Borderlands should as well IMO) would round out my top 3. The music, the characters, the story telling, everything was so good about Tales from the Borderlands. I hardly know anything of the Borderlands series outside of the main antagonist of 2/Prequel which is all you honestly need to know despite the cameos of other characters yet I can really get into the characters and cast because they were new and were well-acted by the likes of Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, And Talking Dead's/Comedy Central's Chris Hardwick.

Batman S1 was fantastic, might be rivaling The Wolf Among Us for my top 3 placement. Waiting on a slash of price for the 2nd season of Batman.
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

Middle of Nowhere (By way of Cleveland, City of Kings and Champions.)
    vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beat Pyre last week.

I thought it was pretty good. It's heavy on the visual novel stuff while having a really fun gameplay mechanic that you wish was more prominent, very similar to The Banner Saga. The story and characters were all good, but not particularly memorable. You and a group of exiles travel throughout a land competing against other exiles in a sport that's sort of a hybrid of basketball and soccer, all in hopes to be returned home. The artstyle is beautiful too, but the highest point was definitely the parts with the sport. It's deceptively deep and rewarding to level up your team. They have a local multiplayer option, but sadly no way to play it online, which is such a pity as I would keep playing for a bit if there was. Compared to Bastion and Transistor, this is probably my least favorite Supergiant game, but it's still worth getting.

Other than that, just been playing KH2 a bit. The gaming season is kicking into high gear soon in what has already been a fantastic and packed year, so it's nice to be able to take it easy for the time being.

2x PW Power 25 Winner

Currently Playing - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild and NBA 2K17

PW Game of the Year 2016 - Voting now open.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Thinking before Sonic Mania hits this Tuesday that I can sneak in a game for the next 2 days to play through and I have been meaning to jump back to the God of War series given God of War Reboot is easily one of 2018's biggest titles on deck. GOW 1 I have played twice so this game is not blind by any means but man that Hydra battle to start the game and series was intense, maybe not in 2017 with so many games using the QTE to a tee but this was among the 1st games to utilize the QTE in the proper way IMO. Great boss battle to kick off what has been a big mainstream title. I have heard over the games that Kratos gets more and more unbearable but I liked him a lot in GOW 1, very vindicated character that's unapologetic and knows what he is.

Want to get God of War 1, 2, 3 and maybe even Ascension/Chains of Olympus/Ghost of Sparta out of the way before next years God of War reboot. All the other GOW titles outside of 1 are completely blind to me.

Have not played Game of Thrones, heard very sour reviews on it but it was free for PS Plus.

Tales from the Borderlands was FANTASTIC, probably the 2nd best Telltale game after TWD S1 for me. Would have Wolf Among Us(SEASON 2 has been announced, if that game can get one Tales from the Borderlands should as well IMO) would round out my top 3. The music, the characters, the story telling, everything was so good about Tales from the Borderlands. I hardly know anything of the Borderlands series outside of the main antagonist of 2/Prequel which is all you honestly need to know despite the cameos of other characters yet I can really get into the characters and cast because they were new and were well-acted by the likes of Troy Baker, Laura Bailey, And Talking Dead's/Comedy Central's Chris Hardwick.

Batman S1 was fantastic, might be rivaling The Wolf Among Us for my top 3 placement. Waiting on a slash of price for the 2nd season of Batman.
    I've gotten all the TellTale games (Walking Dead and beyond) for free from PS+ at this point, except Michonne, which I picked up on sale. It was almost my least favorite of the bunch (still haven't played Batman, which I have planned after Evil Within), only ahead of WDS2 and Michonne, and it had some times where it really dragged....but I found it fully up to the TellTale standards. I wasn't much into Mira Forrrester portions, and Gerad Tuttle's I could give or take past the opening chapter, but I rather loved all the direct house Forrester stuff.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took a break from Crash to play through Injustice 2's story mode. Back to Crash 3. Was kinda disappointed when the first level had a crystal. Was hoping it'd have it's own gimmick. I guess it kinda does, but doing the same thing seems kinda lame. Either way seems a little easier so far outside of those racing levels.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, each Crash game was progressively easier than the last...other than the relics, which originated in Crash 3. But now that the other 2 have them as well, it's full on the easiest.

Thread Information