Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: What Games Are You Playing?

vCash
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Games Are You Playing?

Anyone giving the Splatoon 2 demo a shot tonight? Team Cake or Team Ice Cream??

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven* View Post
    Anyone giving the Splatoon 2 demo a shot tonight? Team Cake or Team Ice Cream??
    Yep, 6PM EST so 1 hour from now. Spending the night with it until it closes at 10PM EST. Team Cake for the sake that everyone and their mom is on Team Ice Cream.

Currently Playing:
    Salt & Sanctuary(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing as I never had a Wii U, I have zero experience with the world of Splatoon. The worlds including the map feel fully fleshed out, and the potential customization is intriguing once the game drops. The gameplay is a simply a chaotic take on team based shooter games. My intentions was to pre-order the game, but decided to play the demo to decide if I need the game or not right now. After a few games, I wrote the game off. I played a few more, and it grew on me. I'll end up buying it, but not right now.

I have too many other games I need to finish first.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took a break from DQ Heroes despite being on the home stretch. At the point where a bunch of bosses are OP'd and I don't wanna grind. Started up Lego City Undercover.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing Darkest Dungeon now that the DLC is out. God this game is ruthless at times. Week 9, only have my original Vessel and one Occultist. GG heals

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Played through the first two missions of Killer 7 and I'm just swept up in the Capcom charm. This could have easily been some weird Resident Evil spin-off with the right adjustments. A lot of the elements are already there - the similar puzzles, awkward movement, the only real difference between the two is the third person-to-first person transition that is so prevalent in Killer 7. In Killer 7, you get the chance to play as 7 different killers - Dan, KAEDE, Kevin, Con, Coyote, Mask and Garcian Smith. Dan is the default character of the lot, but I tend to go with Con since he unlocks the best ability 'crit-lock on' earlier than the other characters making a lot of the heaven smiles easier to deal with. Two levels in, and I'm surprised with the various smiles the games throw at you. Considering it's an action/puzzle game, to have 10 different variants thrown at you is surprising. While I appreciate the design choice, 12 years on, the heaven smiles still give me the heebie jeebies. I've never been good with screamers and while they're not really much of a threat, they respawn like crazy and get tougher all the time. The worse variant has to be the Phantom. If you don't heat it's weak spot, it will just teleport and explode. So you could be shooting another smile, accidentally hit it and out of no where OWWWWWWWWWWWWWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHAHAHAHAHA".

Thank god I don't play real survival horrors like Fatal Frame. The funny thing is when you hear it on it's own it's not that bad, but when you've got the tense ambient music and the graphic cut-scenes it definitely tops things off.

Like a lot of Japanese media that deals with the surreal, Killer 7 was inspired heavily by Twin Peaks. As somebody who has only gotten into the show recently, I can really appreciate the nods and winks to Lynch. Whether it's the constant shot of the moon, the way ghosts speak and the way the game deals with time, space and identity is very similar to Twin Peaks, particularly Fire Walk With Me. Before hand, the only wink and nod I remember was the character Blackburn, and how it seemed to be inspired by Annie Blackburn, a major character from Season 2 of Twin Peaks (played by a young Heather Graham).

So far, the game holds up nicely. While I was always fond of the story and aesthetic, I didn't recall the gameplay being THIS good from the get-go.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best level in Killer 7 is Encounter where you're given the task of assassinating Curtis Blackburn. Not only is Blackburn a heinous criminal who preys on orphaned girls and harvests their organs, he's also the mentor to Dan Smith so he's easily the most riveting villain in the game. The entire level reminds me of Pleasure Island from Pinnochio, a giant human trafficking rig disguised as an amusement park. This knowledge along with the presence of ghosts and dangerous heaven smiles makes it one of the more chilling levels in the game.

It also contains one of the most frustrating boss fights in the game, the Ayame Blackburn fight in the parking lot. Ayame is like speedy gonzales, you're never going to catch her, so your only option is to stick to a corner, wait for her to sprint past and hopefully land a bullet before she hits you. Naturally the more you hit her, the faster she gets and just waiting for her can be painful on it's own.

Curtis himself is pretty easy once you know the trick. A pidgeon will sit on his shoulder and as soon as it flies off, that's the time to strike. Unfortunately the pidgeon will often balk the player causing you to fire early and lose some health as a result. The trick is to wait for it to coo since that signals it will definitely fly away during it's next animation, giving you the head-start on Curtis. Do this four times and the level is over.

One aspect I truly appreciated about Killer 7 was the change of scenary. Grasshopper could have easily set each level at night, but there's a lot of stages where the atmosphere is actually really pleasant making the horror more palatable. For instance, Cloudman takes place in a remote town in Texas where the sun is constantly shining and Heaven Smiles just run up and down the street, often ignoring your existence entirely. Then there is Alter Ego which takes place in an upper class precinct on a warm sunny day. While the smiles are more hostile in this stage, the level doesn't feel as emotionally draining as some of the earlier stages. Plus, who doesn't enjoy a group one-on-one stand off against the Power Rangers? Plus, the bonus at the end, the Killer 7 Online 8-Bit Video game adaptation is a joy.

I've never been a huge fan of the last level where you learn about Emir Parkreiner and some of the lore behind the game, but it has it's moments. The segment of the game where you watch all of your characters get destroyed one by one and you're completely powerless until one of your guys acquires the golden gun is really well done. By that point, you're just one-shotting every enemy and you just have to watch as smiles just blow your characters into bits, one after the other.

Between this and Resident Evil 4, Capcom produced two of the best games on the system. I would have no hesitation throwing Killer 7 as a Top 5 GameCube game on my list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 bosses down in Salt and Sanctuary and yeah this game is phenomenal. I absolutely see the hype behind this game last year. It combines the best elements of Dark Souls and Castlevania all into one.

Half of the bosses I have either 1 or 2 shotted and the other half took me quite a couple of tries. Very satisfying when downing the latter group!

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing game. Insane it was made by only two people. Awesome people too, talked to them when Lobos Jr debuted the game on Twitch.
    Real pity there will be no second one.

Play through at least once with magic and once with swords. Great swords/spears are basically easy mode, magic/polearms normal mode and the rest a good challenge. New game plus is a thing, but costs to level get very high.

But yeah great swords and spears can literally kill many bosses in one combo. They are stupidly broken. Moreso when you buff them.

Also it is all fun and games until you meet the Witch of the Lake.

One tip, the platforms in the Pitchwoods are not cosmetic. They lead to a secret area that is very easily missed.
    Last edited by Engel; Yesterday at 03:23 AM.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had to tap out on Salt and Sanctuary very quickly. The first boss wrecked me over and over again. I finally beat him, but then the next area's normal enemies started obliterating me so I quit. Might have made more of an effort if I enjoyed the game more, but it was only a 5/10 enjoyment factor. Souls games and its spinoffs are not for me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    But yeah great swords and spears can literally kill many bosses in one combo. They are stupidly broken. Moreso when you buff them.

Also it is all fun and games until you meet the Witch of the Lake.

One tip, the platforms in the Pitchwoods are not cosmetic. They lead to a secret area that is very easily missed.
    Spoiler
    Last edited by Blindy; Today at 12:26 AM.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got a new TV, so I'm back on the N. Sane trilogy, unlocked all the colored gems, so now I'm going back and clearing levels, first island's complete, 3 levels left on the 2nd island, then all the non-colored gem levels on the final island. Not sure if I'm going to bother with relics right now or not, just so many other things to play, might just go for clearing all gems in the 3 games and move on.

Also, just for a point of pride, I'm one shotting every level in Crash 1, I die, I start over...

Also, I hear a lot of hub-bub about the remasters being harder, but personally, I'm having a much easier go, even Slippery Climb only took me a few tries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarokMike View Post
    Finally got a new TV, so I'm back on the N. Sane trilogy, unlocked all the colored gems, so now I'm going back and clearing levels, first island's complete, 3 levels left on the 2nd island, then all the non-colored gem levels on the final island. Not sure if I'm going to bother with relics right now or not, just so many other things to play, might just go for clearing all gems in the 3 games and move on.

Also, just for a point of pride, I'm one shotting every level in Crash 1, I die, I start over...

Also, I hear a lot of hub-bub about the remasters being harder, but personally, I'm having a much easier go, even Slippery Climb only took me a few tries.
    Rags make sure to download Stormy Ascent, it's free for 1 month. Crowned the hardest level in the series, I beat it last week and got the gem but IDK how people are platniuming this stage.

Currently Playing:

Thread Information