Thread: What Games Are You Playing?

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What Games Are You Playing?

Quote Originally Posted by HilaryFan View Post
    I'm confused, what Yakuza game are you doing?
    Yakuza 5.

Which really isn't doing a whole lot to sell me further on Seijima (who has been my least favorite to play as of anybody in the franchise, despite being a solid character). Man, the prison might be my least favorite stretch of the series, definitely between that and the orphanage stuff in 3. Did open up a bit on the way out of the prison, and I like the set up of hunting on the mountain, that's where I left off, find out how well it plays out now that I'm past the tutorials. Just holy fuck was the prison tedious, especially the imaginary story stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that 1 has been remade with better combat, I think 5 is thr worst of the series

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait to dive into Kiwami. 0 was such a blast and now that I've got my head around the combat, I'm looking forward to playing through the rest of the series to see how wells it plays out and how Majima transforms into a crazier version of Nishitani.

Spoiler

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing a lot of Hitman season 1, after all the episodes were released.

Is it actually possible to pull off the Kill Everyone challenge. I'm trying it in the Bangkok level and it always seems to go wrong outside.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well hell, the hunting turns out to be one of the most effective money farming prospects, but it takes a good 3 hours before they actually let you do much, before then each time it sends you onto the mountain with a purpose. Didn't much care for that bit, added with the prison, the developers just don't seem to want me to have much fun as Seijima. He was my least favorite part of 4, and I'm hoping my least favorite part of 5, I enjoyed the hell out of Kiryu's whole chapter, so far Part 2's enjoyable moments have been few and far between. Now I can freely hunt, so I'll finish up the mountain side missions, build a respectable bank roll, then move on.

Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The toughest part of Yakuza 0.

Screw you, Media King.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few more notes on Yakuza 5, while I am mostly enjoying the game, so many little things irking me. Snowball fights? Fucking terrible, this is the most barely functional thing in the entire series since the freeway scene on the PS1 original, it's stiff, it's clunky, it's boring, it's tedious. Simply awful.

Not sure how I'm feeling about Haruka so far, you can give them credit for taking such a big risk, but at the same time, it's basically just forcing you through endless mini-games, some of which aren't very good. There was one fishing one that I used every type of bait, and didn't get a single bite the entire thing. And the handshake missions get tedious at the higher difficulties, because the fans ask questions and you have to answer immediately, if the first answer you look at isn't the right one, ehh, too bad, you just lost that costumer. And there is A LOT of handshake missions. The interviews are pretty monotonous as well. All the other mini-games are fun enough, I guess.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pulled the trigger on Nier Automata. Finished the first ending and I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet. Hasn't quite pulled me in like I thought it would but I'm gonna see it through

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got to the final character, disappointed Y5 dropped Tanimura in favor of Shinada, much like Seijima, good character, just not as fun of a style. But his batting sidemissions were fun, best batting segments of the series. I loved Tanimura though, a character that didn't feel like much at the start, but once you unlock his move list he's fantastic. The chicken races annoyed the hell out of me though, got to the championship races, and it kept breeding me chickens who refused to race; finally finished up, just an hour and a half after I planned.

vCash
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Berserk Band of the Hawk. Doubt it'll surpass DQ Heroes, but good so far. Great if you don't wanna watch the 3 Golden Age films.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished up Prey. Took me 50 hours to do everything in the game. So far its my GOTY though its definitely not a game that would appeal to everyone.

Just got Thumper on sale for $11 in the PS store. Unbelievably addicting. Such a simple premise but so much fun. Trying to get my wife into it but the difficulty is a bit crushing for her. She's trying though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got ARMS yesterday, played for a little bit but I think I need to suck it up and spend 70+ on the pro controller as I don't think you can plausibly be good enough to hang online at this game with the Joycons. Game has serious potential though, just a matter of if I can master the mechanics or not.

Currently Playing:
    Wipeout Omega Collection(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dishonoured 2

On mission 4 and so far this game is incredible. Even better than the first, which I think is a great game and extremely underrated

Still on for the no kills/no alert trophies

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm back into Elder Scrolls thanks to Morrowind
    Can't wait till the DLC later this year.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HilaryFan View Post
    Dishonoured 2

On mission 4 and so far this game is incredible. Even better than the first, which I think is a great game and extremely underrated

Still on for the no kills/no alert trophies
    Best thing about those games is they play equally great as action games as they do in stealth, some games feel designed for one with the option of the other, but Dishonored works great with both.

Almost done with Yakuza 5, just need to upgrade Akiyama to level 20 so I can get his breakthrough before NG+.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Got ARMS yesterday, played for a little bit but I think I need to suck it up and spend 70+ on the pro controller as I don't think you can plausibly be good enough to hang online at this game with the Joycons. Game has serious potential though, just a matter of if I can master the mechanics or not.
    Got the pro controller early yesterday, game is much better using it. Beat the mandatory Level 4 grand prix mode, found the sub boss to be much harder than the final boss. Touched some on party mode, have yet to touch ranked mode.

Currently Playing:
    Wipeout Omega Collection(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who is your character Blindy?

So in an effort to hone in on my back catalogue and spend my time more efficiently I've designed a gaming schedule for the next couple of months just to see what type of gains I can make.

In the interest of full disclosure the games I've got currently in rotation include Goldeneye 007, Nier: Automata & Mario + Luigi: Dream Team.

I've yet to start Nier, I've shared my current struggles with Goldeneye in the retro thread, so I'll talk about Mario + Luigi Dream Team.

So I really enjoyed Superstar Saga on the GBA. For my money, it was right up there with Paper Mario 64 and the added advantage of taking it on the go meant it was one of my favourite games for the system. Fast forward all these years later, I run across a good deal for Dream Team ($20 AUS in 2014) and pick it up on a whim. After the odd session here and there, I've decided to stick with it just to clear it from my back catalogue once and for all and make up my mind on the game.

So far I'd say Dream Team is an inconsistent game. There are some aspects about the game that are quite charming and what you'd expect from a quality turn-based strategy game. Unlike other JRPGs, you're constantly engaged with each action as you've got to time your button presses either to maximise your offence or limit the enemies attack. That's standard fair for the series and when the game allows you to explore the over-world you're in for a good time because there's a lot of platforming, puzzles and stuff to explore to collect everything in each region.

However the gimmick that sets this game apart from others in the series isn't doing a lot for me. The actual dream portions of the game are sort of boring, as each dream world looks exactly the same, the only difference is you're confronted with a different gimmick in each region. In my recent playthrough, I got Luigi to create an army of mini Luigis for Mario to climb on-top of to take out hordes of enemies and execute button presses'. That was fine, what wasn't fine is that I went from this interesting desert that's being excavated with all this equipment you get to interact with to a 2D plain with the exact same aesthetic as before. To make matters worse, the game sits you through so many tutorials so a lot of the team the game halts to a stand-still as you're tasked with some very basic puzzles. It isn't awful, it's just slow and feels like unnecessary pacing. If the dreams were colourful, creative and you got to decide when to take them, it would help the game out a lot more.

Also as enjoyable as combat can be, this is a Mario game so the story isn't anything special. Every now and then there's a few charming exchanges which made games like Paper Mario and Mario RPG so memorable but for the most part it's very tutorial intensive.

I hope the further you progress the more interesting the game becomes. I just get the bad feeling that I've seen everything the game has to offer.

As far as character builds go, Luigi is my defensive tank, built to survive and heal whenever the battles get tough. Mario is my monk, he's all offence with high attack and high bro points.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, the Clockwork Mansion is so damn annoying when going for a no alerts trophy

Still on for the trophy though, on episode 6 now

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was gonna finish up Yakuza 5, then got sidetracked and ended up clearing the batting cage and driving range tasks. Then, I was going to finish up after taking out the Amons, and the final Amon is just this of impossible with cheapness, you can basically only hit him with reversals, and I never use those, so I don't have the timing, I'll trying again tomorrow.

vCash
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got Yooka Laylee. Berserk is kinda boring me since the missions are all the same, so I may start this early.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beat Yakuza 5 (not 100%, ended up with around 74% at 99 hours), final Amon was a real bitch, you NEED to master the Komaki Tiger drop for this to be just slightly less brutal, that and throws were basically the only way to hurt him, he will absolutely murder you if you try combos. It was my least favorite of the Yakuza games, still a solid story, but I felt the twists were more of the "out of left field" variety than coming naturally through the story. Had some of my least favorite pieces of the franchise, but still a fun game, being the worst Yakuza still makes it better than most. With all said and done, I'd rate my favorite characters: Kiryu, Akiyama, Haruka/Seijima, Shinada (though his batting sidequests were really fun). Still not much of a fan of Seijima, Haruka was fun enough but especially repetitive (only have a couple songs, and too many interviews). One thing I was happy about with Haruka, is when I did the billiards sidequest, which billiards can be rather annoying when the computer makes ridiculous shots, was I got an ace off the break so I didn't actually have to play, just won outright. Still wasn't a huge fan of Seijima, but the hunting sidequests were pretty fun (once they opened freely), and a great way to make money. Shinada was even less fun than Seijima, since Seijima is at least really strong, but wasn't terrible to play as...really missed Tanimura.

Rating now would go:

Yakuza 2
    Yakuza 0
    Yakuza 3
    Yakuza 4
    Yakuza/Yakuza 5

Yakuza and Yakuza 5 sit even because while Yakuza did have one of the series best story, it had the series worst gameplay, and vice-versa with Yakuza 5. Kiwami will probably be either above or below Yakuza 2, because that story with modern Yakuza gameplay should be killer.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Yakuza 5 and 4 are easily the series worst stories. Both still amazing, but definitely behind the other games

vCash
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Yooka Laylee...

I loved both Banjo games on the N64. Hell, I even enjoyed the GBA game. I was gutted when Threeie became... whatever that was. So I was very much looking forward to this game. This game very much feels like a love letter to Banjo. It's basically the same stuff. The voices though... ugh. I don't know if it was just the time period, but I thought the gibberish mumbling for dialogue was endearing when it was released. This? Ugh, cannot stand. I always hit X immediately to end the sound and make the text appear. I dunno if I've been spoiled, but fuck it's annoying... as well, fuck.

I know the appeal of each Banjo world was getting out and exploring, but man I would give anything for a map. One good thing though is unlike Banjo when you boot up a save you don't always start ALL THE WAY AT THE START OF EVERYTHING. You continue where you left off.

The game is fun, but I can see why people gave it mixed reviews.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    I've been playing a lot of Hitman season 1, after all the episodes were released.

Is it actually possible to pull off the Kill Everyone challenge. I'm trying it in the Bangkok level and it always seems to go wrong outside.
    Well after a couple of weeks of trying on and off, I managed it in the hotel so this can remain as ignored as it was.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

Thread Information