Thread: The Gamer's Pad - 2017 and Beyond

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default The Gamer's Pad - 2017 and Beyond

The old Gamer's Pad thread has piled up the pages, so it's time for a fresh thread in a fresh year!

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Gamer's Pad - 2017 and Beyond

It's kind of funny, in a I'm a dweeb sort of way, as I always jump on deals, I got Mankind Divided, Dark Souls III, and Skyrim for PS4 for $91, but I probably won't get around to playing all of them until I could have gotten them for cheaper, I've done it countless times. Like when I jumped on Bloodborne for $30 right after it released, and I literally have not put that copy in my system a single time, I had just rented it and beaten it it, now I could get it for $20 or under. DSIII especially I could have waited on, because I haven't played a single one of the Souls games since I bought them, and I still have to buy DSII. And I also just beat Mankind Divided, so I didn't need that yet, and there will surely be a collected edition like Human Revolution, but it was free (buy 2 get 1 free), so I can't even return it. Really gotta learn not to compulsively buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And it sucks to be an XBone fan, the best exclusive they had(and arguably the only one they had coming of any real note off the top of my head) is cancelled, as Scalebound is no more

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make a new Viewtiful Joe Kamiya and all will be forgiven(Scalebound was my 2nd and only XB1 exclusive announced in 2017 I was looking forward to after Cuphead). All will be forgiven.

In all seriousness, XBOX and Japan are dead together why Kamiya decided to dedicate so much of his time to a non existent system in Japan is crazy. I guess neither Nintendo nor Sony would have funded this game granted but I never got this decision ever.

But this is a huge blow for Microsoft, especially after they have cancelled games like Fable and Phantom Dust in the past 1-2 years.

He shoulda made a spiritual successor to Metal Gear Rising as an XB1 exclusive, stick with what you're good at Kamiya. High action, short games. What doomed this game was making this a multiplayer, dumbest decision ever.

A Metal Gear Rising game full of a badass metal soundtrack is right up the XBOX player's alley.

I don't think a company had a worse 2016 than Platnium. 2015 Konami destructed but 2016 for Platnium....

- Bombed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that has recently been taken off PSN, XBL and Steam.
    - Star Fox Zero was universally panned, and may have put a coffin in a once proud and loved Nintendo franchise.
    - The top guy of Platnium has a game cancelled and swept under the rug in Scalebound.

EDIT: There's a Phantom Dust HD coming in 2017. Just have to correct myself there.
    Last edited by Blindy; 01-09-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Make a new Viewtiful Joe Kamiya and all will be forgiven(Scalebound was my 2nd and only XB1 exclusive announced in 2017 I was looking forward to after Cuphead). All will be forgiven.

In all seriousness, XBOX and Japan are dead together why Kamiya decided to dedicate so much of his time to a non existent system in Japan is crazy. I guess neither Nintendo nor Sony would have funded this game granted but I never got this decision ever.

But this is a huge blow for Microsoft, especially after they have cancelled games like Fable and Phantom Dust in the past 1-2 years.

He shoulda made a spiritual successor to Metal Gear Rising as an XB1 exclusive, stick with what you're good at Kamiya. High action, short games. What doomed this game was making this a multiplayer, dumbest decision ever.

A Metal Gear Rising game full of a badass metal soundtrack is right up the XBOX player's alley.

I don't think a company had a worse 2016 than Platnium. 2015 Konami destructed but 2016 for Platnium....

- Bombed Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that has recently been taken off PSN, XBL and Steam.
    - Star Fox Zero was universally panned, and may have put a coffin in a once proud and loved Nintendo franchise.
    - The top guy of Platnium has a game cancelled and swept under the rug in Scalebound.

EDIT: There's a Phantom Dust HD coming in 2017. Just have to correct myself there.
    Eh, all console gaming is dead in Japan. Make games for whoever offers the most money.

I always thought Scalebound looked bad when they showed it off. Smart to just cut their losses now. Pretty much every Xbone console exclusive is garbage. Ori and Gears 4 must have been accidents. I wouldn't be surprised if Crackdown is cancelled next. They seem to be hiding a lot of that game as well.

Crazy how fast they've lost their grip on studios making good games for them. The original Xbox and the first half of the 360's lifespan had great games.

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Platinum are one of those developers where most of their output really isn't very good, but people still get super hyped about them, then really disappointed when it ends up another half-baked attempt at a game.

Wayforward is the same. Their licensed games are especially awful.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's because Bayonetta was amazing, and Metal Gear was a lot better than expected

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Middle of Nowhere (By way of Cleveland, City of Kings and Champions.)
    vCash
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummed about Scalebound. Was my second most anticipated XB1 exclusive for the year. Will be interesting to read about what exactly happened, we're hearing a few things, such as the game being a mess and riddled with technical issues , MS setting unrealistic goals, Kamiya having a breakdown, and MS not wanting to pump more money into the project. I will reserve judgement, but I imagine neither side was faultless here.

We still have Halo Wars 2, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Forza, and maybe State of Decay 2 coming out. But outside of those, it's all indie titles like Cuphead, Below, and Ashen. Not bad by any stretch, but definitely not as good as Sony's potential lineup. Hopefully they have something else planned.

2x PW Power 25 Winner

Currently Playing - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild and NBA 2K17

PW Game of the Year 2016 - Voting now open.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CIG View Post
    Bummed about Scalebound. Was my second most anticipated XB1 exclusive for the year. Will be interesting to read about what exactly happened, we're hearing a few things, such as the game being a mess and riddled with technical issues , MS setting unrealistic goals, Kamiya having a breakdown, and MS not wanting to pump more money into the project. I will reserve judgement, but I imagine neither side was faultless here.

We still have Halo Wars 2, Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, Forza, and maybe State of Decay 2 coming out. But outside of those, it's all indie titles like Cuphead, Below, and Ashen. Not bad by any stretch, but definitely not as good as Sony's potential lineup. Hopefully they have something else planned.
    I wanna see Phil Spencer's E3 2017, easily the biggest of the 3. I don't give a damn about Scorpio, if will be a joke if they spend half of the conference on that. Reward your current XB1 and XB1 Slim owners. It is important XBOX introduces some console exclusive games this June, whether it is Battletoads or one of their platformers or some new IP.

Spencer bashed Sony plenty for their consistent delays, say what you want but Sony hasn't cancelled 2 games in less than a year in recent memory. Spencer should worry about giving gamers a diverse amount of games instead of trying to take jabs at the competition. None of those big first party exclusives besides maybe Forza even intrigue me, and with Forza I get the feeling like with sports games it isn't something you want to play every single year out of sheer fatigue.

Cuphead and maybe Below do interest me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Platinum are one of those developers where most of their output really isn't very good, but people still get super hyped about them, then really disappointed when it ends up another half-baked attempt at a game.

Wayforward is the same. Their licensed games are especially awful.
    Viewitful Joe and Shantae are terrific franchises that while short are good at what they accomplish to do. The former is massively fun I buy Shantae games when they are reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hypeman View Post
    Eh, all console gaming is dead in Japan. Make games for whoever offers the most money.

I always thought Scalebound looked bad when they showed it off. Smart to just cut their losses now. Pretty much every Xbone console exclusive is garbage. Ori and Gears 4 must have been accidents. I wouldn't be surprised if Crackdown is cancelled next. They seem to be hiding a lot of that game as well.

Crazy how fast they've lost their grip on studios making good games for them. The original Xbox and the first half of the 360's lifespan had great games.
    I thought Sunset Overdrive was insanely fun, it's the best game on the entire system. Forza Horizon is probably 2nd since I have not gotten to play Ori or Dark Dreams Don't Die.
    Last edited by Blindy; 01-10-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well hell, looks like I'll be putting off Super Metroid again, went to play it, and what was just a month ago a stubborn select button, is now near non-functional, all the pressing power my thumb could muster, and still a bitch to get it to work. And select is integral to Super Metroid, so I jumped on ebay and bought a new, luckily inexpensive controller, just have to hope it works proper. I've had bad luck with controllers these past 6 months or so.

Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone posted this outfit swap between Nier and Gravity Rush. Just adore it so much. ;o; So hype for both games!

-chaos-
    "My hit to miss ratio is sadness!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess I can't complain too much on a $5 controller, the SNES controller I got is mostly good, but it seems the D-Pad doesn't balance well, because trying to push up often results as it registering diagonally to the left, which causes some issues for things that need to aim directly up...but Select works perfectly, so I guess, you win some, you lose some.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because speculation is fun...

So Rare could be on the chopping block if Sea of Thieves under performs sales wise and Microsoft has nothing up their sleaves for upcoming exclusives aside from the usual trifecta of Gears, Halo, and Forza. I'm really wondering what games they plan on having to sell the Scorpio. It just seems barren at this point.

Also remember the Holo Lens and how cool that looked? According to Giant Bomb the technology is years away from seeing a consumer releaase and more than likely will never be released at all to the public as they are simply using that technology to develop their games and nothing more. This right here is irritating to me since I actually thought the Holo Lens looked way more useful and intuitive than any of the VR headsets.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They still seem content on Crackdown 3 coming out this year, remains to be seen.

MS has BY FAR the biggest E3 of the 3 companies to have to show something, nobody cares about the hardware and Scorpio. It's time to offer up some games and some diverse games while at it and give your current XB1 owners something to be happy for.

I hope to see plenty of "XBOX ONE.....WORLD PREMIERE" in all of it's overblown glory. I want to see a smug Phil Spencer, not someone tipping around the bush.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playstation had a flash sale (still up until early tomorrow morning if you're interested), so I picked up Dark Cloud 2, Injustice, Terrarria, Outlast+Whistleblower, Strider, and Walking Dead Season 1 on PS4; with Shadow of the Colossus and the Hitman trilogy on PS3, payed around $40 for the lot.

Also picked up the Rise of the Tomb Raider at gamestop for $40.

Also picked up Escape from Butcher Bay/Assault on Dark Athena up for cheap, just because it's a game I've been meaning to pick up for a while.
    Last edited by RagnarokMike; 01-23-2017 at 02:03 AM.

Middle of Nowhere (By way of Cleveland, City of Kings and Champions.)
    vCash
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mad respect Insomniac.

2x PW Power 25 Winner

Currently Playing - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild and NBA 2K17

PW Game of the Year 2016 - Voting now open.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the best video game companies somehow even get better. Between Sunset Overdrive kicking ass, Ratchet and Clank always being a great series including the company having the balls to put forth a top notch effort with this game last year and now getting the reigns of SPIDER MAN, Insomniac can hardly do no wrong.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS Plus free PS4 games for February are Little Big Planet 3 and Not a Hero.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like I've probably been playing Hitman the stupid way, and going for the Silent Assassin, no bodies, suit only first. I beat a grand total of two levels today, and that's beat, not completed. I spent about 3 hours on the first one, finally figuring out a finesse(ish) way to go about it, but I spent 4 hours on the second one and couldn't for the life of me find the finesse route, I ended up choking people out one by one until I finally had the guy alone, wish I had thought of that method 3 hours earlier. But then, the other one who I also couldn't figure out an easy way to kill, I found the easy way to kill right at the end. So if I just play the easier missions first, like a sane person, I'm sure I'll figure out the easiest way to get the most difficult clear, rather than churn out an entire day on just two levels.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Nioh is as great as we knew it would be

Another masterful exclusive for Sony

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that beta made it pretty clear it was going to be fantastic, Dark Souls with a better combat system.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said in the Video Game Monthly thread, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

It's interesting reading the reviews, the point they make is that there seems to be a packed on narrative that doesn't really add anything to the game. On the whole, it seems like a more streamlined Dark Souls game which isn't necessarily a bad thing and it's good to see a game that's existed for 13 years in one form or another deliver.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't matter how good or bad the reviews were going to be, I fell in love with the game as soon as the Alpha hit and from that point they just did the game better and better each time.

I am ready for Tuesday. Easy Day one game for me.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read today that PS4 is gonna release firmware 4.50, which would allow us to use external hard drives. Plug it to a USB 3.0 port, and it'll work. And you can use up to 8 TB in space.

That is such great news. Games take up just too much space, and the drives they have internally just won't do.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy has a release date: June 30th 2017

The remastered trilogy features new lighting, animations, cinematics enhanced for 4K and the PS4 Pro and a fully-remastered soundtrack. It also will have full analog stick support and new unified save and checkpoint systems.

Vicarious Visions, which is handling the work of updating the classic, also improved the game’s bonus levels and time trials and recreated the intro cinematic with updated graphics and sound.

The game, which sells for $39.99, will be available on both the PS4 and PS4 Pro.

40 dollars for 3 remastered classics and it is released for the month of July? You serious? Awesome news, Day one.

Currently Playing:

Thread Information