Thread: NFL 2017 OFFSEASON THREAD

vCash
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NFL 2017 OFFSEASON THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    If it's a deal friendly to our cap I wouldn't object. Like I said, I adore the man for his 2011 season. Same deal with Cruz. But more than likely one of them is going to have to go.

But before they do possibly ANY of that, they need to free up some cap space RIGHT NOW by releasing Flowers and Newhouse.
    I think his injury history prevents anyone else spending too much on him. I would expect Cruz to go though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In today's "no matter how angry you are about your team imploding and getting bounced from the playoffs news, it could be a hell of a lot worse" news, Jacksonville are going to make Doug Marrone their permanent head coach. How the hell you can promote from within when your team has been a complete dumpster fire for years is beyond me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh he actually had them playing okay in the interim and I don't think he's that bad of a coach to begin with , his departure from Buffalo was weird. They also brought in Coughlin and VP of Football operations.

I think the bigger question is why they are bringing Caldwell back yet again. His inability to even put a competent offensive line on that team despite putting so many resources there is the biggest problem with the Jaguars. Fix the offensive line , Bortles might be a little more competent and lord knows they could really use a running game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just think you have to make a more drastic change when you have the losing culture that they have - given that it sounds like the majority of the coaching staff are sticking around, how much difference is this likely to make to their ongoing ineptitude?

I don't think Marrone is a completely horrible coach (and Bortles did have his best game of the season after he took over as interim HC) but he doesn't exactly have anything on his resume that stands out as a huge success. That fanbase is tired of failure, and this will do nothing to energise them, especially when guys like Mike Smith and the Pats coordinators were HC options.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    I just think you have to make a more drastic change when you have the losing culture that they have - given that it sounds like the majority of the coaching staff are sticking around, how much difference is this likely to make to their ongoing ineptitude?

I don't think Marrone is a completely horrible coach (and Bortles did have his best game of the season after he took over as interim HC) but he doesn't exactly have anything on his resume that stands out as a huge success. That fanbase is tired of failure, and this will do nothing to energise them, especially when guys like Mike Smith and the Pats coordinators were HC options.
    I get what you are saying but you are basically proposing the same exact thing that they just went through with Bradley. He was one of the hottest touted coaches on the market and was supposed to come in and change the culture and bring some of that Seattle swag and all that did was result in him being the losingest coach in NFL history.

I think consistency with coaching is just as important , Marrone being able to spend another season with Bortles and this offense and providing some stability might be just as effective as a culture change. I think Marrone is just as capable as a Mike Smith when it comes to coaching this team.

I mean I trashed the Titans decision to retain Mularkey last offseason and clearly it paid off dividends for them or at least Mariota.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vCash
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently they're going to play at LA Galaxy's stadium until the new Inglewood stadium is built. Just a 27k capacity there.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyways I hate to see any team move, especially to a place that already has a team.

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Posted on the NFL twitter account.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven* View Post

Posted on the NFL twitter account.
    In one way, I feel bad for San Diego. They lost a team that's been in their city for over 50 years. But in another way, I don't. It didn't look like there was enough passion from fans, and citizens of San Diego to keep the team around. And, the Chargers are returning to their original home.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...D=ansmsnnews11 This is significant cause it makes him the youngest head coach in NFL history.

vCash
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    In one way, I feel bad for San Diego. They lost a team that's been in their city for over 50 years. But in another way, I don't. It didn't look like there was enough passion from fans, and citizens of San Diego to keep the team around. And, the Chargers are returning to their original home.
    The passion from the fans has nothing to do with it. It's solely about Spanos wanting to increase the value of the franchise so he can make more money when he sells it. LA doesn't even want the Chargers - at best they will be the fourth most popular team in the market behind the Raiders, Cowboys and Rams.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/...D=ansmsnnews11 This is significant cause it makes him the youngest head coach in NFL history.
    I was glad to hear this, hopefully this means Vrabel stays in Houston. I don't know if he had much to do with it or not but Mckinney and Mercilus have developed into world class linebackers down here over the past two seasons, it's been fun to watch.

On the Chargers move I'm not a big fan of teams moving cities, selling out on their fans that bought tickets to every game to go for more money somewhere else. These teams are getting a lot of breaks as far as taxes and they embed themselves into a city to the point where these towns are spending tax money on new stadiums, upgrades, etc, tax money that could go somewhere else like schools, healthcare, etc. I know that the city of Houston paid extra taxes up until like 2012 for upgrades to the Astrodome that Bud Adams demanded in the 80's(threatened to move the Oilers to Jacksonville). It's really crooked shit once you read up on the process, the fans get burned and I can tell you from experience it's a shitty feeling watching the Tennessee Oilers. I don't know how big of a deal it is for Chargers fans though since they are only moving a few hours away. Also believe that team logos, names, colors, and history should stay in the city where it happened similar to what they did with Browns/Ravens. I know the Rams started in LA and played there longer than St. Louis but Chargers only played in LA for 1 year I believe, all of that history should probably stay in San Diego, start a new team in LA with the current Chargers roster/management/ownership.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-12-2017 at 07:03 PM.

Beat the Devil out of it Leper Messiah's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L.A. gets back tge team tgat played one season there in the AFL, and the team that ran to Anaheim in the 80s, while the only team to win there (the Raiders) are still in Oakland. Football in L.A. is doomed to fail again.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post

Forever missed, in large part due to this theme. This is an iconic theme.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...410545805.html

Brings back memories. Pretty much everything he says applies to Bud Adams moving the Oilers to Tennessee 20 years ago:

The commissioner said Spanos and the Chargers had "worked tirelessly" to find a solution with city officials.

However, Faulconer and other leaders from the city and county said the team was not willing to work with the city.
    “At the end of the day, the Chargers wanted a lot more taxpayer money than we could ever agree to,” he said.

San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer wants San Diegans to remember that we will always have the memories of so many great players even if the Chargers organization has decided to leave the city. (Published Thursday, Jan. 12, 2017)

"The ownership of this team’s handshake and their word has meant nothing through this entire process,” City Councilmember Scott Sherman said. “We diligently put effort after effort through this entire process only to be told that’s not going to work, ‘It’s our way or the highway.’”

County Supervisor Ron Roberts used words like “spiteful, “one-sided” and “strong arm” to describe the negotiations.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...#ixzz4VbWlzuxm
    Follow us: @nbcsandiego on Twitter | NBCSanDiego on Facebook
    History repeats itself. I liked what the mayor of SD said that the legacy of the Chargers belongs to San Diego, strong words, I always feel the same about the Oilers and Houston.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering how well the Rams did their first year back it only made sense to put a second team in LA.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now Seattle and Texas have joined us in the off-season.

It's very likely Vince Wilfork will retire, so Houston will probably looking to sign or draft a replacement for him. Still though that's a big chunk of veteran leadership gone right there. The big question for them will be whether or not to keep Brock or cut their losses and go with Savage. But having Watt back next year will be great for their defense to build upon.

Seattle desperately needs offensive line help, and John Schneider should be ashamed of himself for neglecting it for so long. Draft, sign, do whatever, but the O line needs to be fixed period.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we're looking at trajectories, then you have to realize Seattle is trending down. They got so lucky this season to even make the playoffs. They were very average, but only got lucky to face a below average team in the Lions. The fact of the matter is, this team is not going to be great next season. The only fortunate thing for this franchise is they play in the worst division in the NFL. If the Rams can stun the world and bounce back next season, they could easily surpass Seattle. If Arizona plays up to their standards, they too could take over that division. Seattle is a lucky team and will more then realistically remain that way next season thanks to their division. If you think Pete Carroll will stay in Seattle once their stars get old and they start losing, you're out your mind. They are getting older every year and the big dogs in the NFC are getting younger. Seattles time is ticking.

As for the Texans, I think they're going to give Brock another season. He's owed too much money going into next season. He may not be the starter towards the end of the season, but he definitely will be on the team. Houstons biggest priority is getting Tony Romo this offseason. If that D remains healthy next season, this team will finish in the top 2 in the AFC seeding. Believe that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seattle will be fine. An improvement or two to the offensive line and Earl Thomas comes back healthy and they'll again be one of the three best teams in the NFC. Only the Cardinals have the pieces to challenge them in their division right now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Seattle will be fine. An improvement or two to the offensive line and Earl Thomas comes back healthy and they'll again be one of the three best teams in the NFC. Only the Cardinals have the pieces to challenge them in their division right now.
    Depends if McVoy can tap into Goff and can accompany him with a Desean Jackson or some other top WR because with Gurley and that defense, the Rams could right away get in the midst of that divison.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Rams also have a shit offensive line and Gurley's shown his limits if they don't have an adequate one.

The Rams are much further away than DeSean Jackson and a young coach.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to mention Goff hasn't really shown me anything yet. Watching him play the only thing I could think was "Damn, no wonder Fisher didn't want to start him"
    Last edited by The Real LT; 01-15-2017 at 05:49 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    Not to mention Goff hasn't really shown me anything yet. Watching him play the only thing I could think was "Damn, no wonder Fisher didn't want to start him"
    Yeah I wasn't going to take on the "McVey saves Goff" angle, but it seems pretty unlikely.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chiefs need to invest in two new ILB's, pay Eric Berry, and get Justin Houston healthy. Another corner would be good, but I don't see it.

I'd love to see another QB too, but they won't do that.

Thread Information