Thread: Mirko Cro Cop

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mirko Cro Cop

The Croatian Cop, Mirko Fillipovic is without a doubt one of my favorite fighters of all time in any sport. He came up in K-1 kickboxing where he put down Bob Sapp at a time when Sapp was a real true monster. Pride Fighting Championships stole Cro Cop away from K-1 in 2003 in what was a power play or "an imperial edict of battle" as Pride broke out from under K-1's wing(both promotions were very closely associated up until Pride stole Cro Cop). Cro Cop was a force in Pride, one of the best heavyweights in the sport in 2003-2004, he was on another level of stand up striking than any other heavyweight in MMA at the time. His kicks were legendary. The build up and fight against Fedor in Pride in 2005 was MMA at it's finest. He eventually made his way to the UFC in 2007 after Pride died but he really struggled fighting in a cage under the different rules. He had a few moments and wins here and there in the UFC but for the most part the mystique was gone after he was brutally knocked out by Gabriel Gonzaga, from there he was hit or miss.

Cro Cop got revenge for his loss to Gonzaga a few years ago, it was great. Now this week he has returned to Japan and won 3 fights in 2 days to win the Rizin Grand Prix tournament(man that belt is awesome, maybe one of the best I've ever seen in my fucking life, LOVE the dragons, fuck eagles, Rizin does dragons on their belts!):

What did/do you think about Cro Cop? What were some of your favorite Cro Cop knockouts or fights? Do you think he could return to the UFC for 1 last run?
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-01-2017 at 11:18 AM.

ECW: Fuck The Bullshit

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mirko Cro Cop

Damn...You already know my thoughts on Cro-Cop....He's one of my favorite fighters of all time...Most of his Pride fights in general, along with his knockout of a masked Del Rio(I like Del Rio but that was a funny knockout) are what I'll remember Cro-Cop for the most. He's got tremendous fighting spirit and evolved his game over the years, using ground attacks within the last few years for example..I dunno if he'd have another run in UFC but for some reason I wouldn't be surprised if he shows up in M-1 Global or Bellator..Either way that cat is still deadly after all these years.....Also, he's one of my favorite characters to use in Firepro! His move-set is great and it's fun to use Cro-Cop to Critical people.

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cro Cop in Fire Pro Wrestling is what makes that one of my favorite games, he's the only guy I play with, for a 2D game they captured his fighting style pretty well, it's fun knocking out wrestlers with him(just got owned by Vader last time I played that game though). Great game.

Cro Cop actually retired since I posted this thread. That's a fucking excellent way to go out taking down Gonzaga and winning that awesome Rizin belt in Japan. Definitely not going to be seeing him in UFC again since he's probably on the juice. Would love to see Fedor vs Cro Cop II though, in Rizin.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 01-25-2017 at 09:11 PM.

ECW: Fuck The Bullshit

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me guys like Fedor and Cro Cop were far more badass as the soft tone gentle giants who only have to hurt when they have to as opposed to shit talkers. I always appreciate someone who keeps it professional and silent but show up and kick ass when it's go time. To me that embodies a badass, it's a shame the trash talkers always get more pub. Don't get me wrong, I loved me some vintage Iron Mike Tyson back in the day but I always thought the silent professional badass type of fighter was the best.

It was always cool to see Mirko or Fedor just walk down the ramp emotionless to their iconic music without groupies or roadies verbally/physically sucking their dick. Their robotic and methodical approach to the ring would always scare me more.

Honestly I don't think there's a more badass, more epic entrance in MMA history than this:

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Donkey Kong Country 3(New 3DS), Gex: Enter The Gecko(PS3) Rocket League(PS4)

Thread Information