Thread: Favorite TV Shows of 2016

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Favorite TV Shows of 2016

Once upon a time I posted this thread at the end of a calendar year and people commented that the end of a TV year is May. How untrue that is now. Starting with cable shows, then half-season reality shows like Survivor, American Idol and now the Voice, and now even network series like Pitch and The Good Place have aired completely in one calendar year so tv is now constantly churning out shows and frequently ignoring the old tv calendar.

So here are my 10 favorite shows this year with a bit of commentary -

1 - Stranger Things - This is the best thing Netflix has done for me. I waited quite a while to start on it and it was made to binge.

2 - Westworld - Another show made better for me with binging. From some reviews that I've read it seems the mysteries were solved by the interests on a week by week basis.

3 - Triumph's Election Special 2016 - I haven't seen the summer one so I'm just basing it off of the Primary episode, which was hilarious.

4 - People vs. OJ Simpson: American Crime Story - It had everything you could ask for, some terrible impersonations and some brilliant acting. Great writing, well-researched, and shockingly well-directed from Ryan Murphy. Way better than it had any right to be.

5 - The Night Of - I liked the court stuff more than the critics and the prison stuff less, but I liked it. Turturro is great.

6 - Veep - Consistently funny with so many lines you wish you could say in real life.

7 - Silicon Valley - Inconsistent for me but it had my biggest laugh of the year with the visit to the stables (if you've seen it, you know)

8 - Better Call Saul - Not the level of excitement I expected from the show, and with Mike and Saul so split it's really two shows with Mike's more interesting, but very solid and interesting.

9 - Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - I think he takes a hit from me for the number of younger people who try to use his comedy show as all the evidence they need to support a point. I mean it's a well-researched comedy show. But I enjoy the jokes and don't watch a ton of TV.

10 - Brooklyn Nine Nine - Hit and miss for me, probably not on my list if I'd watched more than 15 shows this year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Favorite TV Shows of 2016

I would have your exact list, except I would swap #1 and #2 around, and replace #3 with The Americans. I don't know how it doesn't get the ratings that it should have.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was mostly bored by Americans season one so I didn't get very far into season two and never picked it back up. Read great things though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I was mostly bored by Americans season one so I didn't get very far into season two and never picked it back up. Read great things though.
    The Americans was a chore to get through the first couple of seasons but now I think it's one of the most underrated shows on TV. I compare its writing to that of Mad Men. They almost painstakingly try to keep it period correct and incorporate real life stuff into its mythos and story.

vCash
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my top five new shows of the year.

- Lady Dynamite: This is a show that I knew nothing about before it was dropped. I didn't hear anything about Maria Bamford having a new show, so it caught me buy surprise. Easily the best take I've seen on bi-polar representation. I'ts nice to see him portrayed as a hero, and not a victim.

- Insecure: Everyone else has been watching Westworld yet Insecure has been my go to HBO show. The reason I was interested from the start was Larry Wilmore's name attached to it The buildup of season makes the final two episodes so heartbreaking. Now I'll check out whatever Issa Rae does.

- Atlanta: See I knew I was going to like this because of Donald Glover, but I didn't know I was going to love it. The cast is great, and Glover may not be my favorite person on the show. I still crack up when I think about the BAN episode. He's able to mix the perfect amount of humor and serious enough to tackle police shootings.

- The Good Place: Maybe because it's who is working on the show, but this is the first show to make me feel the same feeling as Parks and Rec. The story is there along with a diverse cast that leaves laughing for hours. There are so many quotable lines from each episode. NBC better not let me down with this show.

- This Is Us: The first episode features Sufjan Stevens, so obviously the show was going to make me cry.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My favorite shows this year were American Crime Story: People vs OJ Simpson and Stranger Things, nothing else came close for me. Those two shows will go down as two of my favorite ever.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raven* I've only seen The Good Place on your list and it just missed my top 10. I liked it, but until the last few episodes I didn't love it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly, I stopped watching all the new shows I checked out this season, due to being busy with work, and even then barely had time to watch all the superhero shows weekly (Agents of Shield, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and The Flash), as well as binge-watching the second season of Daredevil and Luke Cage on Netflix.

With that said, I would probably say my top ten (if I can even list ten) would probably be in this order...

10. Grimm (I guess the second half of last season, so I have a top ten )
    9. Arrow
    8. Supergirl
    7. The Flash
    6. Agents of Shield
    5. Legends of Tomorrow
    4. Ajin (Japanese anime)
    3. Daredevil
    2. Luke Cage
    1. Erased (Japanese anime)

I've heard good things about Stranger Things, and need to start binge-watching it on Netflix

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    MSG: Thunderbolt S2, Tiger Mask W

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lucifer
    Ajin
    Bad Judge
    Lethal Weapon
    Adam Ruins Everything
    Falling Water
    Notorious
    Shooter
    AHS: Roanoke
    Blue Bloods
    Hawaii Five-O
    MacGuyver
    Code Black
    Saving Hope

these are in no particular order

and I don't care about others, but loved AHS this season. My fave season next to Coven.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had meant to add there are at least four shows still on my "I'll get to it..." list. Search Party and Game of Thrones I have on TiVo, I've started Orange is the New Black season 4 but never really kept going with it, and I'll eventually get Hulu to watch Horace and Pete.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
    Lucifer
    Ajin
    Bad Judge
    Lethal Weapon
    Adam Ruins Everything
    Falling Water
    Notorious
    Shooter
    AHS: Roanoke
    Blue Bloods
    Hawaii Five-O
    MacGuyver
    Code Black
    Saving Hope

these are in no particular order

and I don't care about others, but loved AHS this season. My fave season next to Coven.
    Wow, you had MacGyver on your list? I've never watched the reboot, for fear that it would stink.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    Wow, you had MacGyver on your list? I've never watched the reboot, for fear that it would stink.
    I like it. I really enjoy his partner...the guy from CSI
    I didn't think I would enjoy it

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No particular order:

Stranger Things
    Westworld
    The Man in the High Castle
    Daredevil
    The Flash
    Game of Thrones
    ...we're all mad here...

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In no particular order:

Stranger Things
    Daredevil
    The Walking Dead
    Game of Thrones
    Better Call Saul
    Impractical Jokers
    Son of Zorn
    Bob's Burgers
    The Simpsons

Banner Credit: surrender

"If a lot of people loved each other, the world would be a better place to live" - Tommy Wiseau

vCash
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I had meant to add there are at least four shows still on my "I'll get to it..." list. Search Party and Game of Thrones I have on TiVo, I've started Orange is the New Black season 4 but never really kept going with it, and I'll eventually get Hulu to watch Horace and Pete.
    Search Party was another favorite of mine this year. The show made me want Alia Shawkat to get more roles in the next year. TBS comedies are beginning to feel like Netflix comedies. It might be because of the binge format the channel now allows, but the shows just feel like it too. The finale was worth watching the series.

@Mistress, I'm with you on AHS this season. Roanoke was probably the "scariest" season of the series over Asylum now. Each week was filled with crazy, and I wanted to see how they could top the last episode. The only thing that will prevent it from being my favorite AHS season is the lack of attachment to the characters. It's probably my third favorite after Coven and Asylum.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in no particular order

Arrow
    Flash
    Mrs Brown's boys
    Celebrity Big Brother uk ( for you american's who have never watch this show, its had everything fights, sex, contestants being kicked out of the show, Amercian and British stars in the house, and one of the most annoying hated house mates ever winning the show)
    izombie
    z nation

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are my top 5 shows of 2016:

1) Game of Thrones - Was a unique experience for me as I am up to date on all the books, so to not know what was going to happen was a tremendous amount of fun, there was a lot of nervousness at the start of this season, but Battle of the Bastards and Winds of Winter were incredibly well done, this season surpassed all expectations.

2) Westworld - Really fun ride this year, was one of two shows (Game of Thrones being the other) that I found myself having to watch as it happened instead of waiting. While Evan Rachel Wood and Thandie Newton get all the praise (and well deserved) I found Jeffery Wright to be the the most intriguing part of this show, very well done!

3) Brooklyn Nine Nine - While it had a couple small duds, there are few shows on television that truly understand their characters as well as this show, while it is a Andy Samburg driven show, I find his character to actually be the least interesting and love the chemistry between the rest of the cast, especially Andre Braugher and Terry Crews.

4) Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - Very clever and well written and researched, the best of it's kind at the moment.

5) Better Call Saul - The season was slightly disappointing but only cause my hopes were so high, I really love that Mike got his own storyline separate from Jimmy, and his was the more interesting of the two. The relationship between Jimmy and Chuck, and Jimmy and Kim continue to be highlights.

Honourable mentions
    - Daredevil
    - House of Cards
    - The Flash

Haven't seen yet that have made other people's lists:
    - Stranger Things
    - The People vs. OJ Simpson
    - Marvel's Luke Cage
    - Veep
    - Silicon Valley

vCash
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really surprised that no one's mentioned The Crown yet because most of our poms have left, likewise with Transparent as the forum is very narrow-minded. Those along with Atlanta, Better Call Saul and Narcos were my favourite shows last year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Top 10 (In no order)

- Brooklyn 99
    - Atlanta
    - Silicon Valley
    - Bojack Horsemen
    - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
    - Game of Thrones
    - Better Call Saul
    - Daredevil
    - Last Man on Earth
    - Steven Universe

Honorable Mentions:

- Fresh off the Boat
    - The Good Place
    - Veep
    - Adventure Time
    - Westworld
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    Not really surprised that no one's mentioned The Crown yet because most of our poms have left, likewise with Transparent as the forum is very narrow-minded. Those along with Atlanta, Better Call Saul and Narcos were my favourite shows last year.
    I've not watched Transparent for lack of Amazon Prime, and I'm not sure what a Pom is

vCash
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started Baskets last night since it was recently added to Hulu. For some reason I did not start the show when it debuted last January despite being hyped from the previews. Lets just say that the show did not let me down at all. You can add it to the list of great FX comedies. There are certainly funny moments given the story, however, I wasn't expecting it to be depressing as it was. Louie Anderson's character in particular is one that really stood out. A well deserved Emmys win for him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to mention a few other shows I liked from last year.

Rick & Morty
    Angie Tribeca
    Wrecked

R&M started a few years ago but I just got into it last year after a friend turned me on to it and it instantly became a favorite of mine. Angie Tribeca was another one I started watching because of a friend, it's basically the same type of slapstick humor from the Naked Gun movies so if you like those like I do then Angie Tribeca is right up your alley. Wrecked is similar to Lost where a group of people are trapped on an island after their plane crashes, but this is a comedy not a drama.

Banner Credit: surrender

"If a lot of people loved each other, the world would be a better place to live" - Tommy Wiseau

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My list is in no particular order:

This is Us
    Scorpion
    The Blacklist
    NCIS
    NCIS: Los Angeles
    The Good Place
    Impractical Jokers

Banner Credit: KustoM
    I am my own person, and if people donít like that, Iím sorry. What you see is what you get."--Paul London

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1) Westworld - I have not been so immersed into a show during the first season since either GOT or Battlestar Galactica.
    2) Stranger Things
    3) The Good Place
    4) The Americans (so so soooo good. Can't wait for March 7)
    5) Fargo
    6) Game of Thrones
    7) Better Call Saul
    8) Silicon Valley
    9) Top Chef
    10) American Crime Story - OJ

Honourable mentions - Sherlock, The Goldbergs, Santa Clarita Diet, The Night Of, Fresh Off the Boat, Luke Cage

-Hayze

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    yes I am a little bitch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Foos View Post
    1) Westworld - I have not been so immersed into a show during the first season since either GOT or Battlestar Galactica.
    2) Stranger Things
    3) The Good Place
    4) The Americans (so so soooo good. Can't wait for March 7)
    5) Fargo
    6) Game of Thrones
    7) Better Call Saul
    8) Silicon Valley
    9) Top Chef
    10) American Crime Story - OJ

Honourable mentions - Sherlock, The Goldbergs, Santa Clarita Diet, The Night Of, Fresh Off the Boat, Luke Cage
    I just discovered Santa Clarita Diet. WHAT A FUCKING SHOW!
    Spoiler

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Thread Information