Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nintendo Switch

For whatever reason, I couldn't edit the title of the previous thread, so let's make a new one as we count down the days until Nintendo go into detail about one of 2017's most compelling pieces of technology.

First Official Trailer
    Spoiler

Jimmy Fallon Spot
    Spoiler

Nintendo Press Event Details
    Japan - Friday, January 13th
    Venue Tokyo International Exchibition Centre

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Nintendo Switch

As we near the January 13th (12th for the US) Press Event, naturally more and more rumours emerge.

First off, there was the leak from my very own EB Games, that informed us that the Switch has a USB Type-C port, which means that you won't have to rely on Nintendo to provide you with portable chargers. It seems like a smart move right off the bat and a sign that Nintendo are willing to go in a new direction in order to be successful. Usually they'd be stubborn and stick to their own methods, so it's nice to see them become more consumer friendly.

Another story doing the rounds comes from Eurogamer's Tom Phillips and it concerns the Switch's Virtual Console. The latest virtual console will be the first to support Nintendo GameCube titles. For whatever reason, Nintendo never got around to releasing the titles on the Wii or the Wii U (despite homebrews being able to emulate the Cube...) leaving what is easily one of the most underrated platforms completely unrepresented. While I don't like to support emulation, considering how far the Dolphin has grown, I feel like Nintendo is really late to the party here. While it's nice to finally have that option and if they can offer me a good deal on Luigi's Mansion, I may just take it. However, it's an aspect Nintendo really needs to improve in. They have all these great games and yet they do nothing to market them and a lot of classic titles don't even make their way onto the platform. I'll spare everyone the rant, but it's one of my biggest gripes with the latest generation of consoles.

There's more rumours, but considering I'm the Pokemon guy (and if you have a problem with that, I'm always up for a sneaky battle) I thought it'd be appropriate to end on the idea of Pokemon moving to the Switch. This is one announcement I'm anticipating with baited breath. Partly because I eventually want to buy a copy of Sun so I can have a complete 3DS Pokemon collection, but also because this would be the first steps to a home-console version of Pokemon. While the game is said to be like the Game of the Year version, Stars, it's said to have a bunch of new features that they had to put a halt on as the team working on the Switch version had to help out the 3DS version and give it those finishing touches. If Stars is confirmed, I may skip Sun altogether and just use that as my alternate Generation 7 game. Of course the concern here is that it may not be compatible with the 3DS, so there's plenty of questions that will have to be answered.

In summation, the two-for-one handheld/console deal certainly has me curious. As long as it has enough exclusive software I'll be on board. I must admit as well, Nintendo chose a really good month to release the system in for me since it happens to be around my birthday. If the system releases at the $299 US dollar mark for the bundle, I'll be on board.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll be interesting to see if this takes off. It doesn't interest me at all, but if there is a market there then it could open a new avenue for both consoles and game development.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not into handheld gaming, BARCELONA?

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Not into handheld gaming, BARCELONA?
    Nope, not especially! The only handheld game I've really enjoyed is Pokemon on the old GB/GBA.

Mobile gaming doesn't interest me at all.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may skip this console entirely, at least for the first year and a bit. I already have a Wii U and my main Nintendo interest is Breath of the Wild at the moment. If I can just pick that up, and still play Smash, Kart (both of which are rumoured to simply be ported over, not given sequels at least right away), Donkey Kong, Mario, and other classic games that are still enjoyable, the Wii U does all that for me. It would be nice to play Gamecube games, but I don't think that's worth buying an entirely new console for. The Switch gimmick, while cool and probably what the Wii U should have been to begin with, does nothing for me. I already have a 3DS with a ton of great games, so I can already take that on the go.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The WiiU was the first Nintendo system I've ever totally passed on and I only owned the Wii for about 6 months before selling it so Nintendo has exactly been on my radar the last decade... BUT the Switch actually looks like a good idea and as long as the system doesn't price more than $300 I'll be picking one up right off the bat.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few issues with how Nintendo has handled the Switch:

1) Not having Zelda potentially ready for the launch is damning and if the library is going to mainly consist of ports, this will be a massive missed opportunity. Nintendo honestly needs a new IP to be the face of this system, maybe they go into a genre they seldom ever attempt like horror or FPS. The third party support needs to shine from the get go.

2) Having a game library and price point announcement 2 months from release seems pretty brutal for the consumer. I think it's cutting it way too close personally speaking. This would be fine if Nintendo never has had any problems with under-stocking their products but they have throughout the years have been inept in this category with games being under produced, amiibos being hard to find/store exclusives, NES Remix being a scalpers wet dream and the Black Friday new 3DS deal being pretty harsh by having a very limited amount of quantity for stores.

It's going to be a mad rush to pre order and will be brutal for the working class given their press conference and announcement of when to preorder will conflict with the common 9-5 worker. Nintendo may potentially run the risk of not having enough systems for people to preorder. Now for me, I have Nintendo Store in NYC as a fallback plan(Though I seldom go there after how horrible they handled the X/Y release for me) but not everyone has that understandably so I can already see the writing on the wall as far as how hard this system will be to preorder.

3) I don't know how anyone can seriously bring their portable version of this around, it's screaming to be mugged and or assaulted. I carry my 3DS around like it is my baby, I can't possibly imagine the target a portable Nintendo Switch will bring forth to someone. That might just be for me given I ride the train every day but I don't think I would be safe bringing this around the city. There's going to be a lot of tragic horror stories and given this will market kids, I hate to see young lives get impacted over stupidity and greed.

With Persona 5 and possibly South Park right around this release, I don't know if I will buy this off the bat.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You raise a lot of good points, Blindy.

1) Not having Zelda potentially ready for the launch is damning and if the library is going to mainly consist of ports, this will be a massive missed opportunity. Nintendo honestly needs a new IP to be the face of this system, maybe they go into a genre they seldom ever attempt like horror or FPS. The third party support needs to shine from the get go.
    After the Jimmy Fallon segment, I don't buy those reports. They were already contentious, with a lot of retail leaks suggesting that Zelda would be right from the get go, but after the Fallon segment, I'm confident that it will be a launch title. A promotional segment like that is reserved for launch games, see Nintendo Land from a few years back, and so I think Nintendo are in the clear here. What I don't get, is why Nintendo simply didn't pull the pin on the Wii U launch and simply focus all their efforts on the Switch version. It's Twilight Princess all over again, except this time Nintendo's innovative concept is merely a more convenient approach to gaming, rather than a potential game changer like the Wii was. For gamers like me who own a Wii U and are a little up in the air about getting the Switch, it's a sticking point because I could be saving myself $300 by simply buying the $75 Wii U version. Especially after the Twilight Princess fiasco where I felt like I bought the inferior version.

A Nintendo survival horror game? Imagine this, and stick with me for a second...

METROID SURVIVAL

Samus Aran has been captured by a merciless band of space pirates and has been stripped of her precious Metroid Suit. With nothing but her laser whip, she somehow has to retrieve her suit and escape this colossal space ship.

Or just think Alien Isolation, but then as soon as you escape the air ship, you find yourself to this deserted island, with severely charged down suit robbed of all it's resources and you somehow have to survive.

Sign me up!

2) Having a game library and price point announcement 2 months from release seems pretty brutal for the consumer. I think it's cutting it way too close personally speaking. This would be fine if Nintendo never has had any problems with under-stocking their products but they have throughout the years have been inept in this category with games being under produced, amiibos being hard to find/store exclusives, NES Remix being a scalpers wet dream and the Black Friday new 3DS deal being pretty harsh by having a very limited amount of quantity for stores.
    That's a valid concern. It's been reported that Nintendo will ship 2 million units of the Switch on launch, which is less than half for the Wii U. The Wii, which was notoriously difficult to pick up around the holiday season of '06, shipped 4 million units, so you're right I think there will be reports around the world about how difficult it will be to get a hold of.

3) I don't know how anyone can seriously bring their portable version of this around, it's screaming to be mugged and or assaulted. I carry my 3DS around like it is my baby, I can't possibly imagine the target a portable Nintendo Switch will bring forth to someone. That might just be for me given I ride the train every day but I don't think I would be safe bringing this around the city. There's going to be a lot of tragic horror stories and given this will market kids, I hate to see young lives get impacted over stupidity and greed.
    I doubt it will see the same use of a mobile phone. I can see it being used like a laptop or tablet. Sure, you'll see it every now and then, but it won't be as common since the system won't be as easy to carry around.

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tomorrow is the big day for the Nintendo Switch presentation (well today for the places it is already Friday). There has been a myriad of rumors for the new console ranging from the price to the games to the everything else in between. The NS Reddit is worth a look if you haven't seen any. If the rumored price of $250-300 happens, I will most likely preorder it tomorrow given the chance. A low price would be in the company's best interest. The severe undercutting of the competition coupled with novel concept and casual accessibility served them well with the Wii, it should do so again.

What has been getting to me is the realization that Iwata is not here to present the new console which leaves me with a somber feeling. The Switch is the last Nintendo console to have his influence on its development. His presence will definitely be felt with it. I have a feeling there will be a tribute to him, and I'll probably lose it once again.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am interested to see if they explain the differences of running games undocked. A few weeks ago, Digital Foundry leaked that the GPU throttles itself to 40% when undocked in order to save battery life and reduce heat output. If the leaked specs are accurate, I'd never bother hooking it into a TV. I would be interested in a 720p portable gaming system, so I'm mostly interested in their battery life claims tomorrow.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not gonna rush out and buy it, but maybe in a year or so when I get some things out of the way, might check it out if it's got a decent library.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going in, I don't expect this press conference to blow anybody's socks off.

Nintendo will do just enough to entice people to buy the console and will rely heavily on the portability of the console. I expect Nintendo will do a sufficient job of ensuring the device is capable of decent gaming sessions without being industry leading causing disappointment among a lot of tech heads.

I expect the press conference to appeal specifically to Nintendo fans. The majority of the conference will be dedicated to IPs like Zelda, Mario, Wii U ports and Virtual Console releases with underwhelming third party support. I expect Ubisoft will prepare something but nothing that will come close to Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Red Dead Redemption 2 etc. in terms of hype. The only ace Nintendo may have up it's sleeve is a Sun/Moon port for the Switch but even that won't be enough to blow people's socks off.

I'm expecting it will sell for $300 USD, which will be reasonable but not exactly blow-away.

On most ratings system, it will be a 7/10 presentation. Enough to generate more hype than Microsoft but not enough to knock Sony off of it's porch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's $200 or $250 at most if it's true that it's just a cut-down Nvidia Shield Android TV. That device launched at $200 in the middle of 2015. $250 might be pushing it considering the cheap PS4 Slims and Xbone S consoles you can find on sale. I don't think they can get away with selling a lower-end product while pricing it around the same as their competition.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is $250-$300 cheap for what this is? I mean, a PS4 Pro is about $300, isn't it?

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cant see how its going to succeed I mean there is a lot of poor marketing, and how can it compete again the Xbox and Playstations, I can see this console bombing big style, and might be worth something one day when like the old console are today

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The cheapest I've ever seen a PS4 Pro was $340 on Black Friday, the slim PS4 and Xbone will go around $250 pretty regularly though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hypeman View Post
    The cheapest I've ever seen a PS4 Pro was $340 on Black Friday, the slim PS4 and Xbone will go around $250 pretty regularly though.
    It's 329.99 here in the UK so I assumed it would be slightly cheaper in the US. I guess not!

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hypeman View Post
    I think it's $200 or $250 at most if it's true that it's just a cut-down Nvidia Shield Android TV. That device launched at $200 in the middle of 2015. $250 might be pushing it considering the cheap PS4 Slims and Xbone S consoles you can find on sale. I don't think they can get away with selling a lower-end product while pricing it around the same as their competition.
    Neither do I, but it won't stop Nintendo from trying. I could see them justifying the price by announcing it as a bundle deal but it will be unimpressive.

I can't see them going lower than $250. The Wii U is still $299 RRP even though it should be half that by now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I imagine there will be a Wii U price slash today at the presentation. There would have to be, right? Having your precious gen console cost more than your latest would be hilarious.

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove and Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment are coming to the Switch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are those new games? I've only ever played a few levels from the original game, so I'd like to know if these are new games or just a port?

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    Are those new games? I've only ever played a few levels from the original game, so I'd like to know if these are new games or just a port?
    The whole thing is kinda fuzzy at the moment. Treasure Trove sounds like it will be the main game along with content that has come out since. Specter of Torment is a prequel that was announced at the Game Awards. It's more of an expansion I think.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Neither do I, but it won't stop Nintendo from trying. I could see them justifying the price by announcing it as a bundle deal but it will be unimpressive.

I can't see them going lower than $250. The Wii U is still $299 RRP even though it should be half that by now.
    Yeah, but it makes sense to not drop the Wii U price if they don't want people to buy it. There's no money in selling them anyway since they aren't supporting it with new software.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven* View Post
    I imagine there will be a Wii U price slash today at the presentation. There would have to be, right? Having your precious gen console cost more than your latest would be hilarious.
    Wii U is out of production, though. Gamestop is the only online retailer where I can even find one in stock, and they've been pulled off shelves in my local stores for about a month now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But even when the Wii U was struggling in 2013-14, there was no thought of reducing the price and competing with the PS4 & XBox One.

They operate inside their own bubble and it's naive to think they'll be offering the Switch at such an affordable price.

Thread Information