Release: January 24th 2017
    Platforms: PC, PS4 & ONE

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Resident Evil 7: biohazard

The change in perspective has made this by far one of the most chilling games in the series franchise. Trapped inside a dilapidated building, surrounded by mentally deranged killers conjures memories of Sega's Condemned for the 360, but the added visuals make this game a more immersive experience. The addition of VR only enhances the experience and while I won't have the opportunity to experience the game in that fashion, I'm sure others will get to enjoy the added benefit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may just get this, just to try and ease the pain of PT's cancellation. Haven't really played much of the RE games despite owning some of them.

I want to try VR but i also get terrible motion sickness..like i can't even sit on a train facing the opposite direction it's going. So not sure how i would handle it.

Next Wrestling Show Appearance
    HVW Ready 2 Rumble 21/01/17
    http://tinyurl.com/HVWTIX

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So has anybody played through the latest demo? Thoughts?

I've got to say, everything I've read or heard about this game has been promising. Resident Evil 6 was a complete and utter mess crammed with so much fan-service that it forgot to tell a cohesive and memorable story. Capcom seem to be aware of this, with series producer Jun Takeuchi (Onimusha 3, Lost Planet) requesting that the 7th entry should be stripped back to it's core. So now we're back to a claustrophobic environment with scarce resources which should make the game that more thrilling.

With the drama surrounding PT, it's been at least a year since we've had a chance to play through a memorable survival horror game. The last real excursion we had with the genre was 2015's SOMA, and even then the game felt light on survival-horror aspects, focusing more on the game's unique narrative. Before then you'd have to go with the budget release of Resident Evil: Revelations 2 for the PS4, which like the original Revelations for the 3DS was a return to form for the series. Never the less, this is the first big budget survival horror release we've had since since The Evil Within (Dying Light is more Action/Horror) which was released nearly three years ago. So RE:7 has a great opportunity to become this generation's Survival Horror classic.

What do you guys make of the lack of intel from Capcom? Despite releasing demos and some footage, not a whole lot is known about this game and it seems like a lot of publications cover the same ground. We've heard a lot about the back to basics approach, the VR capabilities and the brand new story (penned by Richard Pearsey, the guy behind FEAR, Spec Ops: The Line and 1979 Revolution) but unlike say Final Fantasy XV where we had a good idea of how the first five to ten hours of gameplay was to play out, we really don't know a lot about this game. This could be interpreted one of two ways. Either Capcom is looking to hide some of RE7's best surprises in order to shock fans, or they're simply not confident enough to give fans early access to the game.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the former. Every move Capcom has made so far with this game has been positive and I feel like this is going to be a great way to kick 2017 off.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to stay positive about this game but if this turns into another Run & Hide horror game like Outlast or SOMA then count me out. This whole genre is excruciatingly boring. Sure its scary in the beginning but scares quickly turn into me snoring once you learn the quirks of dealing with the AI in games like Outlast.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JPC View Post
    I'm trying to stay positive about this game but if this turns into another Run & Hide horror game like Outlast or SOMA then count me out. This whole genre is excruciatingly boring. Sure its scary in the beginning but scares quickly turn into me snoring once you learn the quirks of dealing with the AI in games like Outlast.
    That shouldn't be an issue. One of the series producers, Masachika Kawata is on the record saying that there's a fight or flight mechanic, with players having the ability to fight back but they have to make a rational choice.

Here's the quote from Kawata in the December edition of GameMaster.

"We haven't shown it but the game does have a strong combat element that will have you thinking about how to fight and survive without breaking the horror element. You can avoid enemies of course, and run away, or you can attack them before they attack you!"

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well thats good to hear at least. Regardless of how people feel about this installment in the series I do think what they are going for is a neccessary risk for the series because lets face it another over the shoulder shooter just isn't going to cut it anymore.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Beginning Hour VR demo of RE7 is truly amazing, but I wouldn't necessarily call it enjoyable. More like absolutely fucking terrifying. It's really hard to explain, but essentially you might as well be in the game itself. It's that immersive. Not sure I could play the whole thing through in VR, although I'm guessing at some point you must get desensitized to it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I finally have my hands on Resident Evil 7 and after spending several hours at the Baker's estate I can confirm it's a nice return to form for the series.

I'll be posting spoilers from here on out, so for players who want to experience the story with no prejudice, you know exactly what to do.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I've sunk a considerable amount of time into this game and so far I've been having a ball with it.

For mine, the key is that the game achieves a nice balance between being atmospheric and enjoyable. Going into Resident Evil 7, I expected the game to be similar into the demos where it seemed you had little time to figure out a puzzle without being confronted by a member of the Baker family or a Molded. I thought this would be a constant element, but RE7 is good in that it knows when to give the player a break and get them hooked on the story. One of my favourite aspects of the game is being able to return to a prior room where I was chased by a Baker family member and pick up all the items I left strewn around as I scrambled for safety.

If you've followed the development of the game, the first couple of hours shouldn't come as a surprise. You get treated to family dinner, you escape, it eventually leads to a showdown between you and the father down in the garage where you have to mow him down inside the car. After that you have to collect three different tokens to unlock the next area, so you check the basement which is crawling with RE7's version of zombies - the Moldeds. After working your way deep into the basement, you come across Jack again and now you're having a chainsaw stand off with a mad man. I think the most effective approach for the fight is to use the shotgun initially, but I wanted to conserve bullets, so I waited until he broke his weapon, tore open the steel mesh and allowed me to get my hands on a chainsaw. I must have died in this section 20 times due to being a scrub. Not only did I do it the hard way, I couldn't figure out the mechanics with the chainsaw. In the end, it seems like the best approach is to hold L2 and R2, since it blocks his attacks and allows you to chew through his soft tissue, exposing his weak point.

So that was as good as advertised and fortunately I felt the game got better from there.

After gathering your bearings in a trailer which is like a safe room, it's onto the other house at the plantation, one that we saw earlier on a VHS. Straight away, we're confronted by swarn of insects who just utterly annihilate you until you put your flamethrower together. I actually liked the change of pace, because at first I thought nothing of the critters but I was utterly powerless around them and wasn't going to waste shotgun ammo on them. After making my way through, I still fell for the jump scare that was in the demo with the mother. For whatever reason, I didn't think the game was going to go through with it, but sure enough right as I make it towards the top of the stairs, her ugly mug engulfs the entire screen and I fall into a giant pit where she tries to kill me with her swarm of insects. After torching her and her bugs, I find out the lantern she was holding was needed for an upcoming puzzle. Sure enough as I try and grab it, she turns herself into a spider and starts crawling around like it's the exorcist.

It all leads into this boss fight that I thought was really good, albeit the game provides you with so much weaponry you can make relatively short work of her as long as you're willing to explore.

I could keep going and just continue spoiling the rest of the game, but so far this feels like the Resident Evil reboot we were promised, but it isn't going to blow minds. It inherits a lot of the same problems earlier iterations had like a short run time, and sometimes the enemy AI is awful. During my first encounter with Jack, Jack got stuck behind the car, allowing me to score some very easy head shots. I still died because I didn't find the key to the car and he just mowed me down but it took me out of the game. Instead of feeling intimidated, I was just shaking my head at the poor guys expense.

Recommending the game, unless you're a fan who has to have it Day 1, I'd recommend holding off until Capcom releases a GotY edition so you can have all the DLC and the main game for a cheaper price. At $60 US, it's just too much and should be around the $30 mark. The only reason I don't regret it is because I'm something of a RE fan and my copy came with RE4. It's nice to own four copies of RE4 and I wouldn't mind going back to it now that I have RE7 fresh in my mind.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RE7 is insane in VR. Absolutely terrifying.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaaaaaand finished.

Resident Evil 7 is a return to form, albeit largely uninspired. The game borrows a lot of ideas from series like Silent Hill, FEAR and The Last Of Us, so at times it felt like I was reliving those experiences with some old school Resident Evil thrown in. While Resi 7 can be written off as a derivative hodge-podge, the game is so tightly pace that I never felt myself getting bored and constantly felt inspired to keep playing through. The Baker's served as great antagonists, not only were they intimidating, they also had a lot of personality and the boss fights were well done. The Marguerite fight in particular is an early contender for boss of the year. The only negative was the anti-climatic confrontation with Lucas. So earlier in the game, you're introduced to this extravagant puzzle which manages to be both creepy and quite clever. I thought it was a sign of things to come, but the game just repeats the exact same puzzle except you're able to skip certain steps because you know the passwords. After solving it, Lucas just disappears, never to be heard from again as you come face to face with Jack for the last time. Even with the clumsy AI, I enjoyed the earlier Jack fights but the final encounter felt like I was facing a second rate Banjo Tooie boss. Remember how those fights usually involved shooting their weak spots? Same deal here, except the fight never progresses. Instead of using new abilities or showing more desperation, Jack just cycles through his animations which are easily telegraphed as you search for the last eye ball.

Once you leave the plantation, you come across a broken down vessel and discover the background of the game. It's all pretty standard fare, and this was when the game went from tense survival horror to borderline Action FPS. You get your hands on a machine gun and just make mince meat of whatever charges at you. Running low on ammo? Just bring out the land mines and watch as the enemies slowly walk over it. At this stage the only enemies that are going to give you problems are the fat moldeds (aka Bloaters) and outside of one confrontation right at the end, they're easily managed.

The final boss is just a glorified cutscene. You slowly make your way up to her, transform her into a beast creature and just pump bullets into it like you're Robocop until the game decides it's had enough and rewards you with a final cutscene that has no emotional pay-off since you're never given much of a reason to care about Ethan, Mia or Zoe.

At the end of the day, if you're looking for a Last Of Us clone from a FPS perspective that has classic RE level progression it's worth checking out. Otherwise I feel like this is one of those games that we're only going to remember because it's apart of one of the best gaming franchises and was one of the early VR games.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So a couple of details are emerging now that the game is a few days old...

Madhouse difficulty is worth the playthrough. Not only does it ramp up the difficulty, it also changes core mechanics of the game such as item placement and the save system. Instead of relying on check-points, Madhouse difficulty returns to past mechanics where players had limited saves. On one hand this system adds an extra layer of intensity as players have to choose the optimal occasion to save. On the other, it doesn't suit the game since cut-scenes aren't skippable so if you have to restart multiple times you'll have to sit through the same series of cut-scenes over and over again. Hopefully Capcom can patch this in at a later date.

We've also learned about New Game + features. One of the best aspects of the Resident Evil franchise is the perks you get for starting over and the seventh installment is no different.

Beating the game once unlocks the most powerful pistol and a stronger block.

Speedrunning the game and beating it inside four hours unlocks the most powerful close combat weapon and the ability to see every item in the room.

Finally, beating Madhouse provides you with unlimited ammo, making future playthroughs a cathartic joy if you wanted to teach those moldeds a lesson.

vCash
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Played and beat this in about two days , and I had so many mixed feelings.

On one hand I absolutely loved the nostalgia and feeling of the old Resident Evils it brought back to me after the gameplay started , it was pure bliss in all those moments wandering aimlessly throughout the sets and just being Resident fucking Evil. It was remarkable and beautiful and one of the brightest spots of gaming for me in a long time.

I have a handful of little complaints that may just be me remembering it differently or whatever but yeah - I really wish it would of been longer. It's a testament to how lost I was in the game that I couldn't put the controller down but at the same time , I felt as if the ending just came up a little flat. I was left thinking "that's it?" , I just think there is so much more you could of done with the game. Part of the reason is probably because none of the boss fights were particularly hard or memorable and I beat them fairly easy. That's my other gripe is that there weren't enough variations to the creatures and people I was encountering. It was one family and really aside from those annoying ass bugs , two creatures that were fairly easily disposable. I was hoping once the ship part started or even the mines there would be something a little different , oh well.

I do wonder from anyone else - what is different if you pick Zoe to save in that pivotal scene instead? Is everything the same , I thought about playing it through again on Madhouse just to see but I have other games I'd like to pop in as well. Who did you choose @Big Pete?

Overall I'd say check it out if your a RE fan in search of some of the same feelings that RE gave you back in the day. It was fun , it was beautifully horrific and enjoyable but it's going to leave you feeling a little empty by a number of things when it's all said and done.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll find out tomorrow about Zoe, I saved Mia too, but created a new save file, so I can load up to right before the choice.

I think the length was about right, I did 9 1/2 hours, missed a few things, so probably tops out around 11-12, I think that's about good for a game like that. Don't wanna stretch things too thin.

Yeah, the enemy types were few, you have a few variations on the molded, but nothing to really challenge like Hunters of Lickers, or even dogs. A lot of confrontations I just ran right past them, since they can't open most doors. I do like that it felt a bit classic RE in that way, claustrophobic areas, sometimes just better to deal with the one's you HAVE to and avoid the ones you don't. I really under used my ammo saving for a big fight that never came at the end, never used the grenade launcher once, I was mostly just shotgun, pistol, and a healthy dose of burner during Marguerite's section (I had a shit ton of burner ammo by the end of it). My item was was overflowing with shit I could have used by the end, didn't have to play some sections so cautiously.

The ending was the main disappointment for me, the bosses were solid enough, nothing terribly challenging, the cage match with Jack was the only one to give me real trouble, but holy hell the final boss was easy. Didn't even have to use any medicine. Also, did I miss something, or did Lucas just kinda fuck off?

Mine's only a rental (sending it back Monday to have a space open for Nioh, I'll definitely buy it once it drops with the DLC, then I'll go for a Madhouse run, solid game. 8.5 from me.
    Last edited by RagnarokMike; 01-29-2017 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's sort of funny, before I reached that point, I assumed that it would be in Ethan's best interests to pick Zoe since she seemed to have an ace up her sleeve Mia lacked.

However, when I had to pick between the two, despite it seemingly like I was picking with my dick, I thought I'd reward Ethan's determination and give him his much needed resolution with Mia.

As it turns out, it was the right decision. Zoe is killed off before the next segment and you're forced to kill Mia at the end of the ship level. At least that's what I saw on a YouTube video, I didn't see whether or not it changed the ship stage dramatically or not.

vCash
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarokMike View Post
    I'll find out tomorrow about Zoe, I saved Mia too, but created a new save file, so I can load up to right before the choice.

I think the length was about right, I did 9 1/2 hours, missed a few things, so probably tops out around 11-12, I think that's about good for a game like that. Don't wanna stretch things too thin.

Yeah, the enemy types were few, you have a few variations on the molded, but nothing to really challenge like Hunters of Lickers, or even dogs. A lot of confrontations I just ran right past them, since they can't open most doors. I do like that it felt a bit classic RE in that way, claustrophobic areas, sometimes just better to deal with the one's you HAVE to and avoid the ones you don't. I really under used my ammo saving for a big fight that never came at the end, never used the grenade launcher once, I was mostly just shotgun, pistol, and a healthy dose of burner during Marguerite's section (I had a shit ton of burner ammo by the end of it). My item was was overflowing with shit I could have used by the end, didn't have to play some sections so cautiously.

The ending was the main disappointment for me, the bosses were solid enough, nothing terribly challenging, the cage match with Jack was the only one to give me real trouble, but holy hell the final boss was easy. Didn't even have to use any medicine. Also, did I miss something, or did Lucas just kinda fuck off?

Mine's only a rental (sending it back Monday to have a space open for Nioh, I'll definitely buy it once it drops with the DLC, then I'll go for a Madhouse run, solid game. 8.5 from me.
    Yeah that was how it went with me too , I'm so used to having to consume and save so much ammunition and such throughout these games that at the end I had plenty left over and that's probably why it also felt a little flat too me. I mean comparing it to something like The Evil Within , which I thought was far more challenging and rewarding to beat ... I never had ammo in that game and it made the last boss fights really fucking complicated.

I don't regret spending the money on it day one and I did enjoy it , even though it doesn't completely sound like it. I just wish it would of challenged me a bit more and the boss fights would of been more rewarding. It almost seemed like it was to introduce a new generation to survival horror games , so they didn't want to make it too challenging and turn people off.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, saving Zoe is damn near identical:

Spoiler

I did at least catch what was up with Lucas playing through that second time, working with a 3rd party who broke him of Evi's thrall, but he still retained his healing powers evidently.
    Last edited by RagnarokMike; 01-30-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Dynamite
    Sometimes a terrible idea is the best idea you got, and one thing I've learned, is always go with the best idea you got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RagnarokMike View Post
    So, saving Zoe is damn near identical:

Spoiler

I did at least catch what was up with Lucas playing through that second time, working with a 3rd party who broke him of Evi's thrall, but he still retained his healing powers evidently.
    Well that's stupid.

Really looks like I made the right choice.

Thread Information