vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NJPW Superthread

Goto/Ishii vs Tencozy would be a cool final, I'll go with that

I HOPE it's Tencozy vs LIJ though

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HilaryFan View Post
    Goto/Ishii vs Tencozy would be a cool final, I'll go with that

I HOPE it's Tencozy vs LIJ though
    Yeah it's between these two. The latter would probably be the better match, and LIJ vs GoD at Wrestle Kingdom would be pretty interesting. EVIL and SANADA as tag champs is far more interesting than any of the alternatives to me.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, it looks like we are going to get the uber predictable final of Chaos vs GOD, with Chaos then wining the belts at WK. I guess sometimes the most obvious route is just the way to go

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, GBH won.

I'm gonna go ahead and predict that GOD win the world tag league now, and we get some kind of multi tag clusterfuck at WK

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As HilaryFan has observed, the final block match results are in!

World Tag League Results

Day 15 - A Block
    Hiroshi Tanahashi and Juice Robinson defeated Manabu Nakanishi and Henare (13:41)
    Yujiro Takahashi and Hangman Page defeated War Machine defeated (10:02)
    Brian Breaker and Leland Race defeated Tencozy (12:07)
    Guerrillas of Destiny defeated Tetsuya Naito and Rush (13:55)

Final Standings
    A Block
    12 points (6-0-1): Guerrillas of Destiny
    8 points (4-0-3): Naito/Rush, Tencozy, War Machine, Takahashi/Page
    6 points (3-0-4): Tanahashi/Robinson, Breaker/Race
    0 points (0-0-7): Nakanishi/Henare

Both War Machine and Tencozy lost in pretty big upsets, meaning the block winner rested in the hands of the outcome of the final match. And the tag team champions proved their worth, beating LIJ and winning six matches out of seven to emerge as clear winners. I thought the booking was rather odd. Why have both Tencozy and War Machine lose when GoD were going to win anyway? Breaker and Race I can somewhat understand because they might be a tag team for the future, but Takahashi and Page are pretty much Bullet Club jobbers and probably won't be going much further in their careers. Why are they going over War Machine?

-----

Day 16 - B Block
    Yoshitatsu and Billy Gunn defeated Bad Luck Fale and Bone Soldier (7:57)
    Kenny Omega and Chase Owens defeated Katsuyori Shibata and Yuji Nagata (13:04)
    SANADA and EVIL defeated Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI (12:38)
    Great Bash Heel defeated Hirooki Goto and Tomohiro Ishii (19:21)

Final Standings
    B Block
    10 points (5-0-2): Great Bash Heel, SANADA/EVIL
    8 points (4-0-2): Goto/Ishii, Okada/YOSHI-HASHI,, Shibata/Nagata
    6 points (3-0-4): Yoshitatsu/Gunn, Omega/Owens
    0 points (0-0-7): Fale/Bone Soldier

Great Bash Heel win the block because they defeated SANADA/EVIL in their match. GBH certainly weren't anyone's favourites but I thought they'd be an outside shot outside of Goto/Ishii and SANADA/EVIL. For me this is about the least compelling final possible and I won't be watching it. HilaryFan's theory may be right: the champs retain and we get a four way tag match at Wrestle Kingdom. NJPW love to do that with the junior tag titles every year, why not the heavyweight belts too?

They should book a "losers final" match between Nakanishi/Henare and Fale/Bone Soldier. I'd seriously watch that.

-----

Has anyone been watching the matches? I watched a couple from the first day but nothing since. I'm interested in the following matches, but if some of these shows are fixed cam I probably won't bother.
    Okada/YOSHI-HASHI vs Shibata/Nagata (Day 4)
    GoD vs War Machine (Day 5)
    Omega/Owens vs Okada/YOSHI-HASHI (Day 10)
    Naito/Rush vs War Machine (Day 11)
    Omega/Owens vs Shibata/Nagata (Day 16)

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much every match I was lookimg forward to was fixed cam, which was annoying

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That final was fucking awesome, but how is Tonga Loa not dead?

vCash
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Anyone feel the Bullet Club has been basically nothing since AJ Styles left? Kenny Omega is the "leader" apparently, but you don't get any sense of unity or camradarie with them as you did with AJ and Devitt at the helm. Even when Omega was not the leader, him and The Bucks didn't fit in at all. And they still don't. They are their own entity. They even have their own name. The Tonga guys are kinda doing their own thing as well. And the rest - Fale, Takahashi, Chase Owens, Hangman Page. They're irrelevant.

I didn't mean to rain on your parade, SM, but that post just got me thinking about The Bullet Club. That was a great video. And Cody Rhodes might be just the guy to give the stable the boost it really needs to get to the same level as CHAOS and LIJ. Will he be at Wrestle Kingdom? Will he have a match?

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, you Compare LIJ to BC and it's like comparing oranges and apples.

One is a tight brotherhood, a bunch of dickheads who you know will back eachother up in a fight to the death, and love being assholes while they do it

The other is a bunch of random guys thrown under the same name

vCash
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Anyone feel the Bullet Club has been basically nothing since AJ Styles left? Kenny Omega is the "leader" apparently, but you don't get any sense of unity or camradarie with them as you did with AJ and Devitt at the helm. Even when Omega was not the leader, him and The Bucks didn't fit in at all. And they still don't. They are their own entity. They even have their own name. The Tonga guys are kinda doing their own thing as well. And the rest - Fale, Takahashi, Chase Owens, Hangman Page. They're irrelevant.

I didn't mean to rain on your parade, SM, but that post just got me thinking about The Bullet Club. That was a great video. And Cody Rhodes might be just the guy to give the stable the boost it really needs to get to the same level as CHAOS and LIJ. Will he be at Wrestle Kingdom? Will he have a match?
    From that video it made it seem like his debut will be at WK & I expect him to have a match of some sort.
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As the last big show before Wrestle Kingdom, the World Tag League Finals had some interesting developments.

First, Kenny Omega, flanked by Bullet Club, came out to announce the newest member is Cody Rhodes. He did this by airing the video SM posted above to the Japanese audience. It was met with a lukewarm reaction. I suspect a lot of them don't know who he is.

Bullet Club were not the only stable to bolster their roster. During the match Naito/Rush vs Tanahashi/KUSHIDA, KUSHIDA's Tokyo Dome challenger Hiromu Takahashi came down to the ring. The execution of his interference was a bit of a mess, but he ended up costing Tanahashi and KUSHIDA the match. Naito offered a LIJ cap to Takahashi after the match, and after a bit of teasing, he accepted. LIJ now stands strong at six members, although Rush may not be in NJPW full time.

Okada and Ishii managed to knock off Omega and Hangman Page when Okada pinned Page with the Rainmaker Lariat. However, the WK challenger got the last laugh as he attacked Okada after the match, hitting him with the One Winged Angel. He then returned to do the same to Okada's manager Gedo, adding further insult to injury.

Finally, the main event. I wasn't planning to watch this match, but then HilaryFan said the following:

That final was fucking awesome, but how is Tonga Loa not dead?
    I have to disagree. It was not fucking awesome. It exceeded expectations, in that it wasn't the borefest I expected it to be, and it was a reasonably good match, but I felt the bad outweighed the good. The crowd brawling at the start was a departure from the norm, but it wasn't particularly fun to watch. Then it was tag team wrestling #101, with none of the wrestlers involved being good enough to make it extra special.

Things did pick up at the end. The champs double powerbombed Honma through a table set up at the start of the match, and Makabe was alone for the taking. However, he managed to kick out of two killer double team moves, including Guerrilla Warfare, which I'm not sure had been kicked out of before this point. That got a deservedly large reaction. Slowly but surely, Makabe and Honma grovelled back into the match, hanging on by a thread, and eventually taking the advantage and winning the match with a Kokeshi followed by a King Kong Knee Drop to Tonga Loa. To set up that finish, Tonga Loa took an electric chair Kokeshi, flipping over and taking a nasty bump right on his head/neck. He seems to be OK though.

That comeback was nicely executed. It was a bit slow, but that was out of necessity, because Makabe and Honma were on the jaws of defeat. A decent final, but not enough to put the match anywhere above ***1/2 for me. And we'll get to see it all over again at Wrestle Kingdom.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different strokes for different folks. Csonka gave it 4 1/2, but I'd probably go in the middle of you both and give it the solid 4. It was a 3 1/2 before that awesome last 7/8 minutes

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The full WK11 card is up, and it's not exactly amazing. Certainly has the potential to still be a great show though, I think it will surpass lukewarm expectations

Shibata vs Goto is so disapointing. Of all the interesting opponents I thought he could have(Suzuki, Nakajima, Go, Sanada, EVIL), instead he's facing the guy he's already had an extensive feud with before. So lazy. It will probably be a really good match though

GBH vs GOD will also be really good probably, but it's like the 4th time we have seen it on a big show in less than a year. More lazy booking

Cody vs Juice? I'm down, I think it will be a really entertaining mid card match

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You're too fast, HF!

All Wrestle Kingdom discussion should go in the official WK thread: http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=133419

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Decided to start watching some NJPW on AXS today. The series starts its coverage in 2013 and focuses on Okada. Okada loses to Tanahashi at WK7, then loses to Minoru Suzuki a month later. He starts a comeback, winning the NJPW cup to earn a shot against Tanahashi, then beating him in a match at Invasion Attack.

That match, the fourth Okada/Tanahashi match, is great in itself, but the extra tidbits the show provides, namely the English commentary and subtitles, make it so much better. What I found especially enlightening was the subtitled interviews. You see a bunch of clips of Okada talking about the match. It's "real sport" stuff. Okada talks about the quality of his opponents, how good they are, how tough the match is going to be, and even goes into match strategy on occasion ("Tanahashi went for my knee in the last match, so I'll watch out for that"). The closer pro-wrestling comes to sports-like presentation, the better, so this is just fantastic.

The promos are pretty good too. Short, but effective. Example: after Okada beats Tanahashi, he calls out Minoru Suzuki, who beat him earlier in the year. Suzuki comes out and says that Okada's talk about rewriting history is bogus, and you can tell by his words and tone that he feels disrespected by this cocky young kid talking all this shit. Okada responds by doing the Rainmaker pose. Suzuki just slaps him, grabs a sleeper hold on Gedo when he tries to intervene, and exits the ring when Okada recovers. Message sent. Okada appears unphased, responding by saying that he will make Suzuki a footnote in the history he is writing. You don't need weeks of 15 minute talking segments and convoluted storylines to make a compelling feud. Two minutes is all you need.

So on the strength of that segment I decided to check out Wrestling Dontaku 2013, headlined by Okada Vs Suzuki. NJPW on AXS skips this show. There are also a bunch of interesting matches on the undercard.

Shibata vs Goto is the first, a match that will be repeated in a few days, so I had to check it out. All I have to say is that it's exactly what I would have expected from their upcoming match. Lots of strike exchanges, popping up after big moves, kicking out at one. These guys have barely changed their wrestling style in three years. It's not necessarily a bad thing, at least in Shibata's case, for he is perpetually awesome, but it makes you wonder. I'd even say that Goto was more interesting. It didn't come across as he was coasting and going through the motions like he has been doing in the past couple of years, and his moveset was more interesting in 2013 than it is now. One thing did stand out about the match, and that was the finish. After a very long strike exchange, both guys collapse and remain that way for a count of 10. Double KO. Pretty interesting finish, and they worked fast/stiff enough to make it believable.

Tanahashi vs Karl Anderson is next. It's a joy to watch Karl Anderson in a high profile singles match again. Not one of the best Anderson matches I've seen, but pretty good nonetheless. The finish saw Anderson spamming Stun Gun attempts like he was in a video game. Tanahashi evaded them all, then countered one into a Dragon Suplex, and hit the High Fly Flow for the win.

Then there's Nakamura vs Shelton Benjamin. Poor match. They didn't have much chemistry, and Nakamura didn't seem to be into the match. Shelton attacks Nakamura's leg, Nakamura does his running/knee strike heavy comeback not selling a thing. Shelton attacks the leg again, including applying the ankle lock for a decent chunk of time, bum leg still not acknowledged. Shelton's athletic moves wow the crowd but Nakamura kicks out of everything. A couple of horrendous botches, then Nakamura just says "fuck it", hits the Boma Ye and it's over.

Main event! Okada vs Suzuki. This match was a disappointment, and I put it down to a clash of styles. For those who don't know, Suzuki is a shoot fighting legend. He co-founded Pancrase before becoming a pro-wrestler. So his style is heavily based on submissions. The story is logical: Suzuki works the arm, which is what Tanahashi did against Okada a month prior. But once the home stretch came, the arm work didn't stop. It was two minutes of Okada trying to escape an armbar or a sleeper hold (Suzuki's signature hold), Okada gets free and hits a move, then a few more minutes of Okada sitting in a hold. It wasn't very compelling knowing Okada was never going to submit, and it killed the pace of the match many times over. Another drawback is that it made Suzuki look too dominant. He was on offense for 75% of the match and was able to get Okada into an armbar or sleeper hold basically whenever he pleased. The only reason Okada won was because he activated his invincibility cheat code and survived until he got a chance to hit the Rainmaker and win. Which he did, of course. Eventually. In summary, a pretty boring match which didn't make either guy look good.

In conclusion, NJPW on AXS is great, and there's a reason they didn't cover Wrestling Dontaku

vCash
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading that made me think why promote the Okada Suzuki showdown and not cover it in a future episode. There is a method to the madness.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okada vs Suzuki was very disappointing

Tana vs Suzuki however, is one of the best matches of all time. Watch that instead

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    Reading that made me think why promote the Okada Suzuki showdown and not cover it in a future episode. There is a method to the madness.
    I wouldn't say they promoted it. They just aired the whole Okada vs Tanahashi match, including the aftermath: Suzuki's challenge. But yeah, they could have just not aired that, but then I guess they'd have not enough content for a full show. I think it was a good idea: it was a compelling segment, and it made me go out of my way to watch an NJPW show.

Okada vs Suzuki was very disappointing

Tana vs Suzuki however, is one of the best matches of all time. Watch that instead
    What show is that from?

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something is telling me it's from Kings of Pro wrestling. Maybe 2013? No, it's 2012

Absolutely amazing match, you will not be disappointed

vCash
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's as if New Japan literally knows me.

Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Year Dash Notes
    YOSHI-HASHI (ROH), Michael Elgin (Intercontinental) Juice Robinson (NEVER) all pinned the respective champions in tag matches.
    Dragon Lee attacked and then challenged Hiromu Takahashi to a Junior Heavyweight match
    Suzuki-gun made their returned and took out CHAOS
    Tanahashi & Nakanishi & Taguchi are the new NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Champions
    Outside of LIJ, I'm bored of all the stables in New Japan.

The return of Suzuki-gun only hammers that point home and they have freakin' Minoru Suzuki.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was a great show, and set up what should be some awesome matches. The only dark spot is the NEVER 6 mans being lost after one day to a team consisting of two current jobbers to the stars. Absolutely ridiculous decision

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

New Year Dash. The post-Wrestle Kingdom show. It's a fresh start. New feuds. New title challengers. Big things happen. I checked out the show. I'll expand on Big Pete's brief notes.

• There were two Bullet Club matches, but I didn't see Cody present. Guess NJPW are still keeping him a bit of a mystery.
    • Elgin/KUSHIDA vs Naito/Takahashi was a very good match, far above your average NJPW throwaway tag.
    • Dragon Lee interfered in that match when Naito looked to be hitting Destino on Elgin (after a low blow). He will be Takahashi's next challenger. Anyone know anything about Dragon Lee?
    • Not only did Elgin pin Naito, but he did so with a new move. The Burning Hammer! Well, at least that's the call Kevin Kelly made, but it looked more like a inverted AA to me as opposed to a sheer head drop.
    • Ospreay got in Shibata's face at the start of their tag match, expressing an interest in the British Heavyweight title. They followed up with an awesome sequence to open the match.
    • Nagata made to walk out of the match when the crowd cheered Yano, then they changed his name and he walked back. All in good fun.
    • Okada was very banged up with taped ribs, back, and a dark bruise just below the throat. In contrast, Omega kept his shirt on during his match, and he has full-length leg gear.
    • Juice Robinson needed a bit of help in pinning Goto, he was set up by Shibata's Penalty Kick, but a shocking result nonetheless. Robinson could be Goto's next challenger.
    • Suzuki-gun's return got an enormous reaction from the crowd. They spent at least five minutes annihilating CHAOS, culminating with Suzuki choking out Okada and making the challenge.
    • Didn't watch the main event, the NEVER six man tag match, but I'm baffled at the result. The titles have been booked like the hottest of potatoes since they were created, so it shouldn't be too surprising, but EVIL, SANADA and BUSHI are a genuine six man team who I thought would be the first team to have a lengthy reign with the belts, and make them into something meaningful. Guess not.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emperor, you NEED to check out Dragon Lee vs Kamaitachi from last years Fantasticamania show. It's highly praised and with good reason. If this second match is half as good we are in for a barn burner

Thread Information