Thread: Do people on the Right know the difference between Progressives and Liberals?

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Do people on the Right know the difference between Progressives and Liberals?

Just had an argument with my very VERY ignorant father. According to him, Hillary is a left wing extremist progressive. Obviously this isn't true but his ignorance and complete blindness to the difference between Progressives and the Establishment Democrats either make me believe he's just extremely stupid or the right just doesn't want you knowing the difference.

Basically what I am saying is that has the Republican party done its best to muddy the two ideologies?

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do people on the Right know the difference between Progressives and Liberals?

They don't know the difference. Hillary and Obama are actually center right economically, but Republicans talk about them like they're commies. Sanders economic plan is considered rather centrist in Europe, and he was looked at as some off the spectrum radical. The people on the right have been lied to so long, they don't know what is left and right anymore. The left, unfortunately, is trying to catch up.

The basic theory is after Reagan decimated the Democratic party, they moved right with Bill Clinton's "New Democrats" or neoliberals, a migration right that has never stopped. Now the center, appears to be the left, to the Republicans, who have also shifted right.
    Last edited by Kilgore; 11-12-2016 at 08:26 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Do people on the Right know the difference between Progressives and Liberals?

I'm not sure that anybody knows what anybody really is anymore, outside of the cartoonish version displayed in each echo chamber. After Obama's election he simultaneously was hated as an extreme liberal by the right and as too conservative by MoveOn.org. If Fox News calls him an extreme liberal and The NY Times complains he's working too closely on compromising with Republicans, both sides will have fun house mirror versions of who they're looking at.

The Republicans though have done a good job of moving further right through their primary system driving House and Senate members to move right or lose primaries to Tea Party candidates (but I say that as a Democrat living in my echo chamber)

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada was under Conservative rule for the last decade before the Liberal Party finally figured out their shit and won power back again. They were led by Stephen Harper, who served as Prime Minister, and he was incredibly right wing...by Canadian standards. For most of his political career the joke was "yeah, Canadian liberals hate him, but if he ran in the US he'd be a democrat."

That changed last year when he heavily muzzled encironmental scientists to help the oil industry, sparked a debate about hijabs/niqabs, called for a hotline where Canadians could report terrorists or people committing "barbaric practices" (his words) and had people in his party trying to re-open the abortion debate (which he thankfully ignored).

Canada is trying to play catch-up though. The current frontrunner to take over leadership of the Conservatives is Kellie Leitch, who has been dubbed "Canada's Trump." She's a cunty bitch that wants to start screening immigrants for "Canadian Values."

Anyway I'm getting off-topic. And I'm drunk. This thread made me want to share that story though.

The Canadian Death Tour
    A very Canadian wrestling story by RT.
    Catch up now and stay tuned for "The Commonwealth Championship," coming soon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Canada was under Conservative rule for the last decade before the Liberal Party finally figured out their shit and won power back again. They were led by Stephen Harper, who served as Prime Minister, and he was incredibly right wing...by Canadian standards. For most of his political career the joke was "yeah, Canadian liberals hate him, but if he ran in the US he'd be a democrat."

That changed last year when he heavily muzzled encironmental scientists to help the oil industry, sparked a debate about hijabs/niqabs, called for a hotline where Canadians could report terrorists or people committing "barbaric practices" (his words) and had people in his party trying to re-open the abortion debate (which he thankfully ignored).

Canada is trying to play catch-up though. The current frontrunner to take over leadership of the Conservatives is Kellie Leitch, who has been dubbed "Canada's Trump." She's a cunty bitch that wants to start screening immigrants for "Canadian Values."

Anyway I'm getting off-topic. And I'm drunk. This thread made me want to share that story though.
    I agree with a lot of this (especially the part about Harper's shift).

Specifically in regards to the bold; it'd be a smart stradegy on her half in a way to make herself stand out from the crowd running for PC head. The issue is in how they decide their leader. Gotta give her points for trying ... especially after her crocodile tears on that "barbaric practices" hotline (which she only did because Harper lost).
    Last edited by T-Bone; 11-12-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Thread Information