PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ring of Honor Superthread *SPOILERS*

He's still winning the title Mania weekend

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Daniels finally did it! what a moment. He really does deserve it!

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a great segment all-round.

I wasn't really feeling this show at all. A lot of the marquee matches were fine with lots of pros and cons but the main event really brought the show home.

My only issue with the show was the commentary. Ian Riccaboni seemed like an intern they brought in from a local broadcaster university while Colt Cabana gave absolutely no fucks during commentary. It was pretty telling that Kevin Kelly, who's typically on auto-pilot as a commentator was by far the most effective and the only guy looking to put the talent over.

Banned

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really enjoyed the 15th Anniversary Show!

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As expected, New the stip would be added
    Hardyz vs Young Bucks for the ROH Tag Titles on Mania Weekend will be a Ladder Match

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a dream match on paper but reality is none of those guys are taking the risk that makes ladder matches so crazy anymore. Street fight would have been a far better stip as they can use ladders anyway. Maybe this is where they plan to drop the belts back though.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    It was like Delirious realised that @Baker had fallen out of love with Pro Wrestling and did everything in their power to bring him back.

First they signed Matt Hardy, then they put the belt on Daniels. If that doesn't ressucitate Bake's love of Pro Wrestling, nothing will.
    It worked. For one week at least Watched Bucks of Youth vs. Hardys and about 40 minutes of the latest ROH tv episode. Bucks/Hardys was a fun moment and I may have found a new guy in 40 year old Top Prospect Preston Quinn. He punches like Terry Funk, Brainbusters like Dick Murdoch, Lariats like a classic AJPW heavyweight, and looks like an 80s territorial guy. Pair him with Silas & BCB and count that sweet, sweet Baker $$$. So of course he lost to some generic 1999-looking longhaired indy schlub because Delirious remains a terrible booker even when he's going out of his way to appeal to me. Bucks of Youth also hit a sweet finishing sequence to put away two jabronies.

I haven't actually cared about Daniels in at least a decade. The Addiction were the worst regular team in the company back when I was watching semi-regularly a few years ago. But Daniels is still the guy who got me into non-Maryland indy wrestling and I'm glad he won the belt over 14 years after he should have. Better late than never.

Don't forget about the recently deceased (story to come!) Bubba/Bully Ray either. I'm a fan of his as well.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard Daniels stepped his game up after that awful Knights of the Rising Dawn angle with Sabin. He cut some killer promos hyping up the championship bout and really gave the guys on Talking Smack (the best weekly television show) a run for their money.

With that said, their next set of tapings sound lousy.

Ray Rowe vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr
    Marty Scurll vs. Kenny King
    Hanson vs. Punisher Martinez
    The Kingdom & Silas Young (c) vs Bully Ray & The Briscoes
    Chris Sabin vs Caprice Coleman
    Roppongi Vice vs Cheeseburger & Will Ferrara
    Bobby Fish & Colt Cabana & Hanson & Lio Rush vs. Silas Young & Jay White & Jay Lethal & Hangman Page
    The Hardys vs The Briscoes
    The Bullet Club vs Dalton Castle & The Addiction

Over four incredibly bland weeks.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I heard Daniels stepped his game up after that awful Knights of the Rising Dawn angle with Sabin. He cut some killer promos hyping up the championship bout and really gave the guys on Talking Smack (the best weekly television show) a run for their money.

With that said, their next set of tapings sound lousy.

Ray Rowe vs. Davey Boy Smith Jr
    Marty Scurll vs. Kenny King
    Hanson vs. Punisher Martinez
    The Kingdom & Silas Young (c) vs Bully Ray & The Briscoes
    Chris Sabin vs Caprice Coleman
    Roppongi Vice vs Cheeseburger & Will Ferrara
    Bobby Fish & Colt Cabana & Hanson & Lio Rush vs. Silas Young & Jay White & Jay Lethal & Hangman Page
    The Hardys vs The Briscoes
    The Bullet Club vs Dalton Castle & The Addiction

Over four incredibly bland weeks.
    Ugh. Only match that appeals to me is Hardys vs. Briscoes. Heard they had a good match somewhere (NEW probably) a few years ago.
    Briscoes & Bully Ray vs. Young Bucks & Cody or Cole needs to happen at some point. I'd seek that out.

Roster is looking rather thin these days. They've lost a lot of people over the past two years.

I know Bennett & Moose are in TNA now. ACH is in EVOLVE. A bunch of people are in WWE/NXT. Where did O'Reilly & Elgin go? Sydal? Shelley? Does Beer City Bruiser ever get booked anymore? Now I didn't like all those guys but most of them were over and/or had the style down pat.

O'Reilly, ACH & Ciampa are the biggest losses imo. ACH was over and did the style well yet never seemed to go anywhere. And I like O'Reilly & Ciampa enough that I was going to take them in the latest History Draft even if it was mostly just to fuck over @KingInTheNorth in the case of Ciampa

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Reilly finally won the ROH Championship on the biggest show of the year only to promptly lose it a foreign country in a different promotion. Apparently he and ROH couldn't come to terms and he could be off to NXT in the coming months.

Elgin basically won the lottery when New Japan gave him a shot in their G-1 and saved him from Ring of Honor. He's one of the biggest stars over there and Tanahashi seems to have a man-crush on him. The two are inseparable and are constantly tagging together, so good for him.

Sydal had a similar deal with New Japan but blew it after he was detained for smuggling some weed into Japan. This was only weeks after he was a jerk to Naylor on a HighSpots shoot, so in a lot of ways it felt like karma.

Shelley is still around, taking up space. Somehow he and Chris Sabin were booked as the veterans who come out and validate all the young up and coming tag teams. Somehow ROH has succeeded in making him incredibly uncool.

And Beer City shows up every once and a while and continues to be one of the best characters on the show.

Oh and you didn't ask, but Truth Martini left the promotion last year, thank god. It always confused me how he was one of the biggest stars on the show - it'd be like Sullivan insisting that Col. Rob Parker was every bit as important as Sting and the nWo.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O'Reilly finally won the ROH Championship on the biggest show of the year only to promptly lose it a foreign country in a different promotion. Apparently he and ROH couldn't come to terms and he could be off to NXT in the coming months.

Elgin basically won the lottery when New Japan gave him a shot in their G-1 and saved him from Ring of Honor. He's one of the biggest stars over there and Tanahashi seems to have a man-crush on him. The two are inseparable and are constantly tagging together, so good for him.

Sydal had a similar deal with New Japan but blew it after he was detained for smuggling some weed into Japan. This was only weeks after he was a jerk to Naylor on a HighSpots shoot, so in a lot of ways it felt like karma.

Shelley is still around, taking up space. Somehow he and Chris Sabin were booked as the veterans who come out and validate all the young up and coming tag teams. Somehow ROH has succeeded in making him incredibly uncool.

And Beer City shows up every once and a while and continues to be one of the best characters on the show.

Oh and you didn't ask, but Truth Martini left the promotion last year, thank god. It always confused me how he was one of the biggest stars on the show - it'd be like Sullivan insisting that Col. Rob Parker was every bit as important as Sting and the nWo.
    Thanks for all the info

I knew about O'Reilly winning the belt (which I totally called like two years ago. Think I even had him winning it at Final Battle 2016) but didn't know he left the promotion. Good for him if he does make it to NXT. He was one of their better guys imo.

Also knew about Elgin's inexplicable overness in NJPW. At least he'll no longer bore me to death on those rare occasions I catch an episode of ROH tv Tanahashi needs to pick better friends.

Sucks about Shelley. Most of his peers eventually made it to the 'E and there was a time I thought he was the most WWE ready of all of them save CM Punk.

I never got the appeal of that 4th rate Don Callis wannabe Truth Martini either.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said the same a few weeks back but the point stands still. ROH needs to be careful. Rush is now off, Fish is off and I see others following, probably to EVOLVE who are the hot thing and a natural progression to the WWE and is ran by a guy considered a God on the Independent circuit.

vCash
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am excited. If WWE remasters the RoH footage, we can get a lot of old footage that is getting harder to find remastered and released. Also, RoH Classic shows on WWE Network? Sign me up.

The fed I liked does not exist anymore with Cary, Gabe and RF all gone, so do not really care what happens to the current product. The guys I like from RoH are talented enough to get work in other places or sign outstanding WWE offers that have to exist. Will certainly speed up seeing the Bucks and Cole in WWE.

What has me super interested, is if RoH is gone, PWG becomes I believe the largest indy fed. Also WWE has more ties with PWG than they did with RoH, which could end up with a far better working relationship.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And buying PWG, too.
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.

vCash
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is bad. I don't want everything under the WWE umbrella. I want people to have more options for where to wrestle.
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe, doubt it though. RoH has the "legacy" of guys like Punk, Daniels and Joe. PWG never was elevated by fans to the same near mythical status RoH once was. But if PGW would get bought out, again, not seeing a downside. It will leave a vacuum in so-cal and other fed will take over. Meanwhile as a fan, I get PWG on the WWE network. I see no downside to WWE buying feds as any booker worth their weight will realize that when the big fed in a region drops it allows for others to rise. Indy fans still want to see wrestling, the guys still want to work, so locally supply and demand is not changed.

I do wonder, with the WWE deal for the fed, if they will leave it open but use it as a tier III feeder for WWE. Scout RoH for talent to bring to NXT, and use RoH for try outs. Much like the deal Evolve had for a bit at least.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SM? View Post
    I think this is bad. I don't want everything under the WWE umbrella. I want people to have more options for where to wrestle.
    Why not? WWE is not likely to send in bookers, writers, scouts and all that. Odds are they will make deals with Delirious and others to bring in the infrastructure if they keep the fed running. WWE wants the content rights. Unless they close contracts, it is win/win for everybody as now gets onto the WWE network increasing their stock, WWE gets new content and a new scouting place and fans get access to new content.

RoH's void will be taken up by another fed. Hundreds of little feds running in RoH areas can now expand without being expected to stack rosters with expensive guys, allowing dozens of other guys to break out and become stars, instead of local talent jobbing to RoH guys. People make it seem like only huge indy feds exist and the rest of feds do not exist. Fuck even NEW, which just did Cody vs Angle in a cage is not on people's radars. This is doubly ironic as these feds often showcase guys like Bucks years before the bigger ones.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Why not? WWE is not likely to send in bookers, writers, scouts and all that. Odds are they will make deals with Delirious and others to bring in the infrastructure if they keep the fed running. WWE wants the content rights. Unless they close contracts, it is win/win for everybody as now gets onto the WWE network increasing their stock, WWE gets new content and a new scouting place and fans get access to new content.
    Stop it, C. Just. Stop. This is exactly what people said about WCW and it didn't happen. WWE wants the tape library, a few of the talents and nothing else. Do we all know that they don't know how to write and develop talent? Sure. But don't tell WWE that, because they're never wrong.

STOP IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    RoH's void will be taken up by another fed. Hundreds of little feds running in RoH areas can now expand without being expected to stack rosters with expensive guys, allowing dozens of other guys to break out and become stars, instead of local talent jobbing to RoH guys. People make it seem like only huge indy feds exist and the rest of feds do not exist. Fuck even NEW, which just did Cody vs Angle in a cage is not on people's radars. This is doubly ironic as these feds often showcase guys like Bucks years before the bigger ones.
    They're not on people's radars, just as you said. ROH being removed from existence would leave a massive cavern the same way WCW did.

Stop it. Just stop.

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine Bryan Danielsons RoH matches without his Final Countdown entrance?
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Stop it, C. Just. Stop. This is exactly what people said about WCW and it didn't happen. WWE wants the tape library, a few of the talents and nothing else. Do we all know that they don't know how to write and develop talent? Sure. But don't tell WWE that, because they're never wrong.

STOP IT.

They're not on people's radars, just as you said. ROH being removed from existence would leave a massive cavern the same way WCW did.

Stop it. Just stop.
    WCW dropping was the start of the indy boom.

Well eitherway I will be happy. Either WWE raid RoH until they have no talent left, or they buy them. I get to see the guys I like in the fed I want them in eitherway, whether WWE owns the fed, or just buys the stars.

Also killing RoH would be a mercy kill at this point.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would ROH leave that much of a space Deej?

Obviously it'd be a loss of sorts, but only in a historic sense. There's a case to be made that ROH is only going one way with EVOLVE taking its talents and groups like PWG as strong as ever. That's without considering the boom in Europe and New Japan being around too.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KashDinero View Post
    Imagine Bryan Danielsons RoH matches without his Final Countdown entrance?
    That's okay because I like the abuse

@Foos

Thread Information