Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ring of Honor Superthread *SPOILERS*

vCash
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ring of Honor Superthread *SPOILERS*

Yeah, Castle needs to win the title in Orlando and it better be a long reign.
    surrender

First Ever PW Heavyweight Champion!

vCash
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he does win while I don't need a super long reign... it's time for one that will last as they've been hotshotting since Lethal.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a minute isn't Kyle the champ? also when and why did The Cabinet become The Rebellion?

vCash
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kyle dropped it back to Cole at WK.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    What a minute isn't Kyle the champ? also when and why did The Cabinet become The Rebellion?
    They became MOAR SRS.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    Kyle dropped it back to Cole at WK.
    This makes the title change at Final Battle pointless.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDaAjDYDTLo

Not sure where to put this... so move this if its not right.

The link is of a match from Jan 14 in Vancouver, Canada. Kyle O'reilly showed up and faced the current eccw champ in a myster opponent match. The show was Ballroom brawl 7. Every Jan and July they put on their big shows of the year, which draw about 1000 people which is pretty good for an independant company there. Anyway, check it out. It was a pretty fun match to watch live.

Also, if someone can pm me how to properly put a youtube video in a post that would be great
    Last edited by nazzer; 01-24-2017 at 01:27 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched Ospreay vs Dragon Lee vs KUSHIDA from last weeks show. Fun as hell match

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaand Kevin Kelly's gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm flipping through this thread.

Just watched the last episode of ROH and kind of wanna take the temperature of this promotion.

Interesting to hear about Castle. He'd be a unique champ for ROH lately. It'll have been a long time since somebody who REALLY stood out won the belt.

Sad to hear about Kelly because he had a good voice. Wonder if he'll go back to the ECWA? I don't even know if there's an ECWA to go back to.

Although, I wouldn't get caught up in title reign Leagnth. It really means nothing. Entertainment value is everything. Long, short, whatever. As long as it's good.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was listening to an ROH podcast,seeing what's up them & man there's been a lot of defections & contract issues. There's a band list that prohibitions wrestlers from working in other companies like AAW & Beyond Wrestling regardless of contact status. ACH supposedly blasted ROH management after his 1st match back in AAW.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I was listening to an ROH podcast,seeing what's up them & man there's been a lot of defections & contract issues. There's a band list that prohibitions wrestlers from working in other companies like AAW & Beyond Wrestling regardless of contact status. ACH supposedly blasted ROH management after his 1st match back in AAW.
    I think ROH should let wrestlers wrestle wherever they want, as long as the contracted ROH dates are honored. That sounds like a TNA move to me.

I also think ROH gets too much credit for developing talent. IF anything? I think they actually do a bad job with the roster they have, and I think a lot of guys who are/were considered ROH guys? Were also wrestling in places like AAW, CZW, PWG, Chikara, and countless other promotions, mostly on the east coast. PWX in NOrth Carolina comes to mind.

I think ROH's reputation as talent developers is over rated. Quite frankly, I think their booking has always sucked too.

That being said? I don't think this is a big problem for them. All the defections, I mean. They could do with some new blood. Especially at the top card. A lot of the guys they pick to put in prominent positions are people I couldn't care less about.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even during their inception ROH was known as a Super-Indy.

I agree their booking sucks. Of all the 'major' promotions, their television is actively the worst.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Even during their inception ROH was known as a Super-Indy.
    Noy
    I agree their booking sucks. Of all the 'major' promotions, their television is actively the worst.
    I've always found their TV product awful.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just more noticeable now since TNA stopped being trash.

It wasn't so bad in 2009-2012.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just more noticeable now since TNA stopped being trash.

It wasn't so bad in 2009-2012.
    I've never like their TV setup. Hey get hyped over a match that happened 2 months ago! they sometimes announce/telegraph matches months in advance. It's just dreadful.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it is worth, I actually like their production.

It's more how episodes are airing after the PPV they're promoting, as you guys have said, that bother me.

And the storytelling/booking. Delirious is awful. Who would have guessed? I love that character ... You'd think he'd be able to make more on that level.

vCash
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's probably because no one can understand him when he goes over the booking. The fact that they still have full shows is a bonus.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    It's probably because no one can understand him when he goes over the booking. The fact that they still have full shows is a bonus.
    Haha Haha ...

Yes ... that was a good one.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So without writing up a big fan-fic, what would you guys change about ROH?

Specifically their TV?

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specifically their TV?
    They actually put belts on people when it's the right time to rather than dragging out the tease to the point that nobody cares anymore.

It's why I have low hopes for Daltons chance at winning.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming
    Maybe so, but at least I'm not a fucking loser. You and your country is our bitch! Been that way for a couple of centuries. And Canada (technically part of your "empire") is our bitch which makes Owens our bitch. Deal with it.
    Don't worry, he's only making PW great again

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stopped actively following RoH when they first got on TV and PPV. Shit just got way too hard to follow. The days of their straight to VHS/DVD shows still rank as my favourite time as a wrestling fan. The booking was world class back then, and while they never created too many stars, they certainly established the shit out of Punk, LowKi, Danielson, Joe, Tyler, ect ect ect. No f'n way that can be argued.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those guys changed Pro Wrestling, Kash.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcone
    They actually put belts on people when it's the right time to rather than dragging out the tease to the point that nobody cares anymore.
    That's been their problem since...shit...Adam Pearce became booker?

Outside of giving Dalton a TV Championship run, they haven't missed the boat on anyone in recent years.

Largely because there hasn't been a boat in the first place.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The biggest hire ROH could make is a couple of agents.

Every ROH match feels the same. If they could get a bunch of guys to lay the show out from top to bottom, the matches would stand out and you could actually begin to make a big deal about certain spots.

ECW got tremendous mileage out of angles that happened years ago. ROH needs to celebrate it's own moments and be less modest.

vCash
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specifically their TV?
    The first thing I'd do is schedule 12 TV tapings a year. I don't know how many PPVs they're doing now but whatever it is I'd keep that number.

I'd just make sure that the TV show isn't out of date and that there are always fresh episodes to air post PPV. None of that "PPV airs on Sunday and Thursdays show takes place before it" crap.

Then if they wanna do house shows, I'd let them knock themselves out. But not one house show before all those TV tapings are scheduled. I don't care what the crowd looks like or what the quality of video is. 12 honest to God TV tapings.

Then I'd focus on story telling and using less of the roster. IF more popular wrestlers have to wrestle twice per taping that's okay with me. I'd try to remember that ultimately I"m trying to sell a PPV, so I'd try to have my biggest star or two on every week, wether it's in a match or a back stage skit or promo.

Also, I'd try to get a network because who the hell is buying their PPVs anymore?

Also, women's title because how in the fuck do you have a six man title before a woman's title?

Also I'd get rid of the six man title.

Quote Originally Posted by KashDinero View Post
    I stopped actively following RoH when they first got on TV and PPV. Shit just got way too hard to follow. The days of their straight to VHS/DVD shows still rank as my favourite time as a wrestling fan. The booking was world class back then, and while they never created too many stars, they certainly established the shit out of Punk, LowKi, Danielson, Joe, Tyler, ect ect ect. No f'n way that can be argued.
    I'd argue that. Of course Punk and Danielson and Joe and Tyler were big.

They were great. But I always felt like they were great in spite of ROH. Like they'd go to other places and do similar stuff. I"m not sure their best work is in ROH.

I just think for some reason, ROH just happened to become the biggest of the 5-8 promotions those guys worked for.

If I'm a booker/writer? I'd feel like it was my obligation to give every wrestler something to do. And I think Gabe and others just let them go out there and do whatever they wanted.

Not bad if you're a CM Punk. Very bad if you're a Rodrick STrong.
    Last edited by Mad Dog Smith; 02-05-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, @Mad Dog Smith, buddy, numerous guys have said that they saved their best work for RoH. Having been an avid follower of the indy scene, at the time, I rarely came across many matches from the RoH regulars that was significantly better than their RoH matches. Seriously.That place was like the fucking mecca for North American indy wrestling stars and beyond. It was where the best of the best went to showcase their talents to the absolute best of their abilities. A wrestler knew he had to be on sharpest of sharpity sharp point in that red and black ring. They had to. They were surrounded by the coast to coast cream of the crop.

Yes, the aforementioned names would have been great without RoH, I guess, but woulda, shoulda, coulda, shmoulda.

What If's aren't real.

Fact is, the top indy talent from around the world fucked shit up in RoH and pushed each other to their limits and then some. Yes, talent is talent regardless, but when you mix awesome talent with equally awesome talent all the talent becomes more talented because they naturally bring out the best in each other. RoH was a place where everyone tried to steal the show, and it was perfectly OK, because all that meant was the best possible shows were being put on month after month.

Again, RoH established the shit out of those guys, and put them under the brightest spotlight an indy bum wrestler could ever possibly ask for. Nowhere else on the planet had all those fantastically, awesome, innovating, path creating, genre defining, mutha fuckers under the same roof show in show out. A lot can be pissed and shit on about Delirious' RoH, but Gabe Sapolskys RoH was THE hottest wrestling promotion for its time. Argue all you want, but I'll regrettably have to turn a deaf ear and a blind eye, because I can't imagine you lived through it to experience it as it was happening if you fail to appreciate what that place meant to the industry at the time, not to mention the top names in questions careers in general. Roh was a legitimate godsend for those fellas.

Very bad if you're Roderick Strong
    C'mon, Dog, really? Strong wouldn't be shit without RoH. If anything, he has more to thank RoH for than Punk has. RoH genuinely made that guy. Generation Next put him, and Aries for that matter, firmly on the mapski.
    Last edited by KashDinero; 02-05-2017 at 04:08 PM.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

Thread Information