Thread: Bill Simmonsís ĎAny Given Wednesday cancelled AKA the let's make fun of talking heads

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bill Simmonsís ĎAny Given Wednesday cancelled AKA the let's make fun of talking heads

Last night was the final episode Bill Simmonsís ĎAny Given Wednesday. I enjoyed the show too bad it didn't last long. Maybe he should have stayed at ESPN. I hope Bill bonces back,I find his perspective interesting I don't mostly like everything that network produces but in most cases once a talent leaves they disappear,unless your Jim Rome who didn't need TV to be successful. I'm just glad that the different type of sports talk shows like The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz or Katie Nolan's Garbage Time are still safe for now. Undisputed should be called First Fake,it has the exact same setup just with a different black guy. Undisputed the fasted growing sports talk show around! FS1 fresh and brand new with ESPN rejects! I love sports but I also really enjoy mocking most of sports media.

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bill Simmonsís ĎAny Given Wednesday cancelled AKA the let's make fun of talking h

Simmons was a mediocre writer, that got in on the ground floor of blog style going mainstream. He built an empire on that, and good for him, but the landscape passes him by each passing year, as he becomes a hot take spewing parody he used to rail against. Jumping to television, was smart in the sense that it's not writing anymore, but he's a terrible television personality, and Any Given Wednesday might be the worst thing that ever aired on HBO. It was like a Fox Sports Boston show from 1997.

I guess he's going to produce documentaries for HBO now, but HBO already made the best sports documentaries, so that seems like a waste of money. Good for Bill for still getting paid, though.

r.i.p. dogs playing poker

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bill Simmonsís ĎAny Given Wednesday cancelled AKA the let's make fun of talking h

I never thought the show made sense. I enjoyed several of the interviews, but they were frequently too short and pairings that made no sense. His podcasts with Malcolm Gladwell are interesting, putting Gladwell in a six minute interview with Mark Cuban ends up to be considerably lesser than the sum of its parts. The segment ideas like the recent winners and losers would show up and go away with no explanation, the opening changed three times, etc.

But I really enjoyed his interview segments with Charles Barkley and Bill Hader. I just thought the show should have went further that direction.

His personal value at this point is the podcast which has suffered with the show, and his ability to get interesting people to write under his umbrella.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Savage.

Thread Information