Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Impact Wrestling Superthread

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Impact Wrestling Superthread

Your one-stop shop for all TNA related news and discussion.

Do we have any TNA fans in the house?

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Throwaway Comments That Truly Aren't Worth A New Thread

Total Nonstop Deletion

December 15th.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Throwaway Comments That Truly Aren't Worth A New Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Djm View Post
    Total Nonstop Deletion

December 15th.
    Christmas will be 10 early this year! this will be delightful!

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TNA Wrestling Superthread *SPOILERS*

Impact Wrestling November 10th Thoughts

The Death Council Crew reveal was well handled. There isn't enough cliffhangers in Pro Wrestling which is odd since they're such a staple of modern television. I like the choices for the stable, James Storm is still one of the best promos in the biz, Bram makes a good liutenant and Eddie Kingston is one of those guys who should have received a shot a long time ago. There's a lot of potential feuds for them as well, so it really revitalizes the main event scene that was beginning to look bare.

The Edwards-Drake match was a solid closer. I enjoyed the fallaway slam variation where Drake got Edwards into position only to toss him into the apron. That looked fantastic, Edwards sold it well and the crowd bought into it. Drake hitting the Blunt Force Trauma made for a good false finish, I just wish the actual finish was better. I've never been a fan of the spot where one guy heads up top with no clear direction, jumps down and takes whatever finisher he has coming to him. It just looks hokey and comes off as an easy out for the actual finish.

Trevor Lee, DJ Z & Rockstar Spud put on a really fun triple threat match. I thought they worked well together, with Spud playing the perfect bump machine while Lee and Z got a lot of what they wanted to in. It never dragged at any point and achieved what it had to booking-wise.

The follow-up on Matt Hardy with amnesia was everything I wanted it to be. Matt dressed up in a suburban sweater sporting his Amadeus haircut was a funny visual gag on it's own, but the little one-liners he'd dish out made the segment.

My only big gripe with the show was the brutal Tribunal segment. Everything about this came off like a colossal waste of time...

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DCC looks very interesting. I look forward to seeing what their motives are and how their characters will progress. Eddie looks like a world champ having very good matches with all the contenders. Eli Drake looks like a rising star.
    Last edited by Ed; 11-11-2016 at 08:25 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EC3 and Eli Drake engaged in a tremendous war of the words this week to set up their match on next week's show. Earlier in the show, EC3 happened to win a number one contendership match after he forced Trevor Lee to submit to a rear-naked choke (that desperately needs it's own name, Matthews calling it a signature maneuver sounds inarticulate) in a Fatal-Four-Way match that also featured Mike Bennett & Bobby Lashley. Drake was upset that once again, EC3, the man who lost at Bound For Glory got another shot at the belt just like that and felt more deserving. Initially Eli challenged EC3 to a match under the proviso that if he lost, he wouldn't challenge for the belt in a year but if he won, he'd receive a championship opportunity against Eddie Edwards. EC3 didn't like the stipulation but was willing to put his opportunity on the line, as long as Eli Drake agreed not to cut any promos for the rest of 2016. The way the promo played out, the convinction from both men and the end result was exceptional and among the best promos I've seen this year.

What did you guys make of the DCC? After weeks of build-up, they came off as just another lazy nWo clone. The best part was the opening promo of the show, which was already laughable given Edwards' weak attempt at a fired-up babyface promo, where the DCC go to the trouble of cutting a pre-tape and then just walk out the ring like any other faction in history. They may as well been X-Factor in masks. We've got games big triple A games like Watch Dogs and television shows like Mr. Robot which is very tech savvy, why not do something cool like that?

The problem is the whole 'hackers' group doesn't fit any of the three characters. Storm is a redneck, Bram is meant to be from the mean-streets which leaves Kingston. Now, Eddie doesn't have a character in TNA, so maybe he's a tech savvy guy, I don't know but on the surface it seems like poor casting. Furthermore, they haven't made any attempts to explain it, rendering the gimmick purely incidental more than anything else.

Maybe it was the only disguise TNA could get away with? It's a shame they couldn't do the whole Point Break gimmick, or simply have them in balaclavas as it would have been more fitting.

What's the deal with Aiden O'Shea aka Corgan's bodyguard? Was TNA short on their brow-beating backstage personnel who rarely if ever get their due?

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post

What did you guys make of the DCC? After weeks of build-up, they came off as just another lazy nWo clone. The best part was the opening promo of the show, which was already laughable given Edwards' weak attempt at a fired-up babyface promo, where the DCC go to the trouble of cutting a pre-tape and then just walk out the ring like any other faction in history. They may as well been X-Factor in masks. We've got games big triple A games like Watch Dogs and television shows like Mr. Robot which is very tech savvy, why not do something cool like that?

The problem is the whole 'hackers' group doesn't fit any of the three characters. Storm is a redneck, Bram is meant to be from the mean-streets which leaves Kingston. Now, Eddie doesn't have a character in TNA, so maybe he's a tech savvy guy, I don't know but on the surface it seems like poor casting. Furthermore, they haven't made any attempts to explain it, rendering the gimmick purely incidental more than anything else.

Maybe it was the only disguise TNA could get away with? It's a shame they couldn't do the whole Point Break gimmick, or simply have them in balaclavas as it would have been more fitting.
    TNA create angles like Family Guy creates cutscenes.

They throw a bunch stable names and gimmicks in a bingo ball machine and a bunch of names another and hope for the best.

All jokes aside, that pretty much sums up how I feel about DCC.

Another, in a long line of stables, factions, angles that feel forced. There's nothing organic about it. Storm, Bram and a journeyman indy wrestler. Ok Dixie explain this, you've dress them up in suits and masks and put them in these " anonymous " style vignettes - using words James Storm wouldn't even understand, let alone say... yeap, I get it - you threw a bunch stable names and gimmicks in a bingo ball machine and a bunch of names into another and hoped for the best.

Half the roster suddenly became bikers for no reason what so ever. Guys who had never even been on bikes before, became bikers - because, hell they again threw a bunch stable names and gimmicks in a bingo ball machine and a bunch of names into another and hoped for the best.

The Revolution what was that? The Rising? The Beat Down Clan, stupid name, why? Because they threw a bunch stable names and gimmicks in a bingo ball machine...

The best gimmicks are the wrestler's own personality turned up to 11 - it's been said 100 times before. Storm is a redneck, a cowboy, let the man be a damn cowboy. Let Bram be the fucking psychopath he is, and Kingston, he's about 10 years too late to even make a true impact, excuse the pun, in TNA.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this is a crew that councils on death? Or how to commit acts that lead to death? Or a council of people who like death or consider themselves dead?

Death Crew Council TNA is the worst at coming up with names. It's like something a 9 year old would think of.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BARCELONA View Post
    So this is a crew that councils on death? Or how to commit acts that lead to death? Or a council of people who like death or consider themselves dead?

Death Crew Council TNA is the worst at coming up with names. It's like something a 9 year old would think of.
    Clearly they are a group of elected officials that govern the actions of the "Death Crew". So the real question is: Who or what exactly is the "Death Crew"? Are they a group of necrophiliacs? Are they just a bunch of dead people that formed a crew prior to dying? Or maybe they're just a group of wrestlers that decided to open their own funeral home? Who knows?

By the way, I haven't watched an episode of Impact in weeks... So, I have no firsthand knowledge of what's even going on in the company right now. The only thing I do know is that everything they're doing is bad and stupid... except for anything involving the Hardys.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post
    Clearly they are a group of elected officials that govern the actions of the "Death Crew". So the real question is: Who or what exactly is the "Death Crew"? Are they a group of necrophiliacs? Are they just a bunch of dead people that formed a crew prior to dying? Or maybe they're just a group of wrestlers that decided to open their own funeral home? Who knows?

By the way, I haven't watched an episode of Impact in weeks... So, I have no firsthand knowledge of what's even going on in the company right now. The only thing I do know is that everything they're doing is bad and stupid... except for anything involving the Hardys.
    The Broken Hardys angle works because it's meant to be soooo over the top and so, so, soooo bad - that it's good.

But when something comes along and it's feels forced and executed in vintage TNA fashion - poorly. It's soooo bad - it's just bad.

And again, the best gimmicks are the wrestler's own personality turned up to 11 - The Hardy's have been a couple of nutters for years, they're both cracked, Matt's always been as crazy as his brother. They just turned it up.

You can't just take a guy like James Storm, that people know, and know very well he's a Tennessee redneck and has always been a redneck and suddenly flip the switch. With no offense intended - James Storm simply isn't talented enough as a performer to completely change his persona. Chris Jericho in contrast, is that sort of performer that can make a complete shift and be successful. Chris Jericho could play James Storm, better than James Storm.

What it also highlights is another problem for TNA - depth. So what could be a good idea, a potential vehicle for new talent, is lost or wasted on an already established talent. The other problem is, no one wants to work for them, so TNA hire guys like Eddie Kingston - again, no offense intended - Kingston isn't going to benefit TNA in the long term. He's just like Eli Drake, he's good for a couple of years - not 10 years.

This is TNA in a nutshell right now.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whocares View Post

Oh man, if the Death Crew Council are actually a group who council a completely separate faction who call themselves the Death Crew.. SWERVE~!

Seriously though, why is TNA so bad at coming up with faction names? I thought Beat Down Clan was bad, but this is worse. As an adult, I can't imagine trying to explain this to another adult. "Yeah, there's these guys who call themselves the, uh... Death Crew Council..."

Now if you're a kid talking to another kid it might not seem so lame, but do kids make up a significant portion of TNA's audience? I wouldn't have thought so.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's easy to criticise, I'm interested to know if there are any aspects that people enjoy about the show?

On the whole, I'm actually happy with a lot of aspects of the show:

The Hardy Compound: I appreciate that Matt Hardy, 20+ years into his career has re-invented his character and made such a bold choice. It seemed as if the Hardy Boys had run their course and watching them felt like I was just watching a bunch of old repeats, but the Broken Matt Hardy angle has been tops.

Decay: In a world where wrestlers tend to shy away from gimmicks, the Decay stand-out as one of the best factions in the United States. The commitment to the character is first class and they work their tails off.

Allie: One of the most over women in any promotion. Doesn't get the opportunity to work all that much in the ring, but her mannerisms are on point and they've added some nice layers to the character. I like the cheeky Braxton Suttor references, that's the type of nudge nudge wink wink I can get behind.

Ethan Carter III: Not so much the character since it's so bland, but the performer makes the most of whatever material he's given and just hits it out of the park.

Mike Bennett: One of the best chicken-shit heels in the business.

Bobby Lashley: I'm still mad he isn't champion. One of the best 'monsters' in the business who was booked really well until his business with Eddie Edwards. I never thought I'd say this, but in 2016 I've much preferred Bobby Lashley's work over Brock Lesnar's.

Helm's Dynasty: PUSH THESE GUYS!! I like the team, I just wish they'd receive a proper push.

Eli Drake: Great promo, everything he says is with confidence and intent. Can certainly sell a fight, I just wish the Mr. Kennedy/Miz comparison wasn't so apparent.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say, I'm very surprised by Matt Hardy's renaissance and the fact he's been able to make himself more relevant than his brother, which I never thought would be possible. I really didn't think Matt had it in him, so a tip of my cap for that. And kudos to TNA for letting him run with it, though I imagine that was more out of desperation than anything else.

Having viewed TNA through it's "glory years", I find it kind of difficult to watch now. It's alright, but I'm already watching Raw/Smackdown and going through the Attitude Era on the WWE Network... that pretty much takes up all the time I have for wrestling, so TNA rarely gets a look in anymore.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impact Wrestling

November 24th 2016 Thoughts

Broken Matt Hardy is back! And not a moment too soon either, the amnesia angle ran it's natural course and hit every note it possibly could. It works out nicely, since Jeff Hardy got his arse kicked by the DCC. That's the one positive of the DCC, the fact they exist so the Hardys have fresh bodies to work. It's just a shame that there's such a disconnect between the character, the angle and the workers. Would it be difficult to make Storm into a TNA traditionalist who wants to make TNA great again and get rid of this Hardy nonsense? Topical and far more believable than the 'Annonymous-Lite' gimmick.

The main event No-DQ match between Jeff Hardy & Bram was just a glorified 3-1 handicap match. Normally this would be a good way to build heat for Matt's inevitable comeback, but Jeff put up such a good fight that it made the DCC look weak. The match should have swapped places with Drake-EC3 and served as an angle, with the DCC decimating Jeff and holding off the TNA babyfaces only for Moose to appear and cause the DCC to retreat. That would have been more productive than what we got.

In saying that, the show certainly had it's strong points. EC3-Drake was a solid main event bout, with Eli in control for long stretches and EC3 fighting from underneath. They did the thing where the match was based around them kicking out of their best moves, which is usually shallow, but given the stipulation of the match (Eli putting his 2016 promo privilages up for a shot at Eddie Edwards) I can live with both guys giving their all. The highlight of the match was Drake hitting the Lance Storm/Shelton Benjamin leapfrog onto the turnbuckle to nail a lightening-quick superplex. It was a great transition spot and he nailed it really well. November was a good month for Drake, with two easy match of the week contenders.

The Thanksgiving Dinner segment with Maria, Bennett, Laurel, Suttor and Allie was everything it needed to be. Allie is only second to Broken Matt Hardy as the most over act on the roster and the way her character has progressed through out the year has been well handled. Everyone was on point here, with the heels pushing Allie too far, ending with Maria copping a desert to the face. As is tradition on a thanksgiving show on this. I like the way they're building to an inevitable Maria/Bennett v Allie/Suttor match. As long as they can come up with a few creative spots, the crowd will eat the match up.

Speaking of tradition, Grado seemed devastated to be wearing the turkey suit...until he realised he secretly loved it. There's always room for silliness in Pro Wrestling and Grado is one of the best comedians in Pro Wrestling.

I feel sorry for Snow. Clearly his program with Sheera & The Tribunal is his project and he's trying his best to make chicken salad out of chicken shit. The Tribunal are miscast as the 'thug' heel team, they worked much better in NXT as the French Enzo & Cass. Stripping them of their personality serves only to highlight how mediocre they are in the ring. The match on TNA was brutal, lasting twice as long as it needed to and ending in a lame-duck DQ. The finish sets up a future strap match, which will probably drag for an eternity.

I have no idea what was going on with the X-Division. It seems like they threw their entire division (eight guys + Abyss to make up the numbers) into a three way nine-man elimination match that ultimately set up a match between Mandrews, Suttor and DJ Z. The entire division just feels like a giant gimmick, which is a shame because they have the talent and the X-Division has such a rich history that they can tap into.

No Edwards, Lashley, Rex or Rhodes this week.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so excited to see Kingston in TNA getting promoted hardcore. IMO he the guy with the most potential that is not signed yet by WWE. When he is done right, he clicks so hard with the crowd. I thought it was him since the DCC started to appear, and when he unmasked I lost it. Now that Stein made it in WWE, I have faith Kingston could as well.

Unsubscribing from the Bucks newsletter was hilarious.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the inclusion of Kingston as well. TNA needs as many hands as they can and Kingston does have some level of Indy cred (although, yes his best days are certainly behind him).

I hate the way he's being booked though. He's the Buddy Roberts of the DCC and he's talked down as some no-name that Storm brought into fill the numbers.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His best days need not be behind him. But really, he needed to tone down some as he was not getting paid enough to take the abuse he used too. Also no one is really giving him anything to work with recently mic wise. But bring him into NXT, let him finished with the Backfist, give him his standard NYC thug gimmick and let him go.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not even thinking about NXT, I'm talking about Kingston as a TNA talent.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not sure TNA will be around next year, so do not expect a long future for him there.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then how is this stint in TNA doing him any favours? He's being treated as some no-name Storm picked up on the side of the street and thrown into the group.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    I like the inclusion of Kingston as well. TNA needs as many hands as they can and Kingston does have some level of Indy cred (although, yes his best days are certainly behind him).

I hate the way he's being booked though. He's the Buddy Roberts of the DCC and he's talked down as some no-name that Storm brought into fill the numbers.
    The Buddy Roberts of the DCC! Lol! I like that comparison because when I was a kid, Buddy Roberts drove me nuts.I was a big Freebird fan and since he was always the one doing the job, I thought they needed to get rid of him. My thinking was that if they replaced him with Jimmy Garvin or anyone else, they would be unstoppable. Of course, I was like 7-8 years old and didn't understand how wrestling politics worked.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the DDC has been fine so far. Keep in mind they have been called the top babyfaces,beat them down and have won their matches. DCC hasn't had a chance to explain the reason they joined forces, their collective and individual goals and motivations I'm giving it time. 1 thing that seems contrived is this X gold garbage. The concept is boring at least the feast or fired and reverse battle royal were bold and fresh ideas. This is pablum. I'm really looking forward to Jade/Rose Mary match. I think and hope the reign of Rose Mary begins next week. I find the Allie/Maria dynamic when you consider Allie was a super annoying heel in the indies. She has become a likable beloved babyface just being near Maria. It took a while to figure out who Braxton Sutter was then I saw him with Allie then I said no wonder why he looks familiar. I'm loving how the Eli Drake/EC3 feud is progressing. I hope EC3 turns heel by relentlessly taunting Eli like a jerk. Broken Matt has finally returned!

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got caught up on the past few weeks of TNA and I have to say not to bad.

As far as Kingston goes I like the addition. Was hoping they would pick him up a few years ago. Honestly Pope or Josh could have marked out with a "that's Eddie Kingston one of the roughest toughest guys in the business". Giving the fans that never heard of him something to work with. As far as I know he's only had one match on TV kind of hard to know what his role will be.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I think the DDC has been fine so far. Keep in mind they have been called the top babyfaces,beat them down and have won their matches. DCC hasn't had a chance to explain the reason they joined forces, their collective and individual goals and motivations I'm giving it time. 1 thing that seems contrived is this X gold garbage. The concept is boring at least the feast or fired and reverse battle royal were bold and fresh ideas. This is pablum. I'm really looking forward to Jade/Rose Mary match. I think and hope the reign of Rose Mary begins next week. I find the Allie/Maria dynamic when you consider Allie was a super annoying heel in the indies. She has become a likable beloved babyface just being near Maria. It took a while to figure out who Braxton Sutter was then I saw him with Allie then I said no wonder why he looks familiar. I'm loving how the Eli Drake/EC3 feud is progressing. I hope EC3 turns heel by relentlessly taunting Eli like a jerk. Broken Matt has finally returned!
    At the same time I really hope they do not turn Eli in to a face. He's so good at what he's been doing. For me he's currently by far the best thing going in all of wrestling.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So running through the current state of the show...

When the Hardy Boyz disposed of Decay at Bound For Glory, it seemed like they had conquered (...deleted) all challengers. That was until the Death Crew Company showed up and made their mark. Led by one of the most in-demand talents in the company, James Storm, the DCC made it their mission to get the attention of the Impact Zone. Then tensions boiled over and the Hardyz found themselves in a brutal backstage brawl with the DCC that saw Matt endure a blow that scrambled his brains. Matt suffered a heavy concussion, to the extent that he couldn't remember anything. Over the past few weeks, Matt has spent time at his abode recovering from the sickening attack and as we saw last week he's made a 100% recovery. While Matt was recuperating, his brother Nero took up the fight, but the numbers game and the experience of Storm, Bram and Kingston proved too much and Brother Nero suffered two big-time ass whoopings. For Nero, this is nothing new he's taken some of the biggest bumps in Pro Wrestling history. With Broken Matt by his side, it sets up a huge match with the DCC taking on the Hardy Boyz. Can the DCC continue to make their mark, or will the Hardys delete them from existence?

That brings me to the TNA Heavyweight Championship. Eddie Edwards shocked the world when he defeated Bobby Lashley with one well-timed Boston Knee Party. Many wrestlers and fans have accused Edwards of being a fluke artist but since that dramatic victory he has scored victories over Lashley, Cody Rhodes & Eli Drake. His opponent Ethan Carter III has been a mainstay of the Heavyweight division for the past couple of years. Over the years we've seen him grow from shrewed but cunning wrestler into a bonafide fighter who doesn't back down from a challenge. He's been known to put his championship opportunities on the line to prove that he's the man making him one of the most respected men in the locker room. It's been 10 long months since Ethan Carter III last tasted championship glory and you can rest assured that whoever wins this match will be THE man inside that Impact Locker room.

In the Knockout's Division, after being inducted into the TNA Hall of Fame and winning the Knockout's Title Gail Kim made the unfortunate announcement that she had to vacate the title due to injury. Before she handed the championship over to management, she annoited Jade as her successor and vouched for her as a genuine championship contender. This news seemingly displeased the sick and sadistic Rosemary who felt like her recent escapades with the Hardys made her the heir to the championship belt. In this situation, there's only one way to settle this dispute, inside the ring. However, that wasn't enough for either woman, so the Knockout's Championship will be defended inside a Steel Cage where anything can happen. In a lot of ways, this feels apropos of a new era for the division.

Jessie Godderz has really come into his own as a performer and finds himself in the thick of a Grand Championship opportunity. His opponent, Aaron Rex is one of the craftiest performers in the ring and after a concerted effort to connect with the Impact Zone has seemingly fallen back into old habits and has become someone the fans love to hate. He's taken this novel concept of the round system and has done everything he can to expose it, all in a bid to raise his own profile and self-interests. The fans are begging for somebody to take the title off of Rex and in Jessie Godderz they have a suitable candidate.

Watching Al Snow reminds me of watching old episodes of Saturday Night and seeing guys like Chris Adams and Greg Valentine ply their trade in WCW. That isn't a knock on Snow or TNA, it's great to see these experienced guys continue their legacies well into their careers and lend their vast knowledge of the business to the younger brigade. In Mahabali Shera, Snow has a 26 year old blue-chipper who has potential but just requires the guidance and polish to make his mark in the company. However, in true Snow fashion, things have grown complicated over the past couple of weeks. His former proteges, the Tribunal had enough of Snow's tutelage and turned on their trainer in what was essentially a mugging on live television. Only in Pro Wrestling can you cold cock somebody, kick them while they're down and get away with it. Despite having their issues in the past, Shera couldn't stand by and watch this vicious assault and evened up the odds. After last week's show it's clear this feud is far from over and I wouldn't be surprised if they settled their differences with a strap match.

Thread Information