Thread: Impact Wrestling Superthread

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: TNA Wrestling Superthread *SPOILERS*

TNA December 1st Thoughts

The show opened with Aaron Rex laying down an open challenge for the TNA Grand Championship. It seemed odd that they went down this route with Rex, considering Godderz beat him in a non-title match not that long ago. Never the less, Moose answers the challenge and proceeded to squash Rex capturing the title. I actually like the move, Moose is a straight-forward character so he gets more value out of holding the belt while Rex as champion wasn't setting the world on fire. It seems like over-time, Rex went from 'bitter WWE employee' back to Sandow which is probably for the best and I hope they find him somebody else to work with.

I hated the Death Crew Council promo. Just about every choice they made here - having them come out in masks, doing the over-dubbed voices was just silly and it's the type of thing that just makes you feel embarrassed. Even the explanation behind their attacks was weak, this whole angle sucks. The segment ended with Broken Matt making his return to the Impact Zone, setting up a TNA Tag Team Championship match between the DCC and the Hardys.

The X-Division Championship match between Mandrews, Suttor and DJ Z left a lot to be desired. They just didn't appear to be on the same page and a lot of their elaborate three-man spots came across as sloppy. The finish saw DJ Z score a sneaky roll-up pin on Mandres just as Mandrews had hit a Shooting Star Press on Suttor. Mandrews was not impressed with his colleague's behaviour and went after the leg DJ Z injured during the course of the match turning heel. Suttor tried to talk sense into Mandrews, but the Brit wasn't having any of it. The match wasn't very good, but I'm glad we're finally getting an angle in the X-Division, finally we have a reason to care.

I love the Allie/Maria/Laurel segments. On the surface, it's a really dumb wrestling angle with an incredibly obvious babyface and heel, but the angle has so much thought and effort put into it, it's difficult to be critical. Maria wanted an explanation for last week's Thanksgiving disaster, Allie tried to come up with an explanation but Maria wasn't having any of it. Maria chewed Allie out, taking it a step too far, causing Allie to slap Maria across the face. Laurel laid Allie out to end the segment.

The TNA Tag Team Championship match was largely just an enhancement match for the Hardy Boys. I think the DCC may have got 3 or 4 offensive moves in, otherwise this was every Hardy Boyz match you've ever seen. Of course in stooge fashion, Kingston took the pin after both Hardys hit him with a Twist of Fate. Hopefully that's the end of that stable.

As requested, Ethan Carter III and Eddie Edwards had an in-ring promo to build up their TNA World Championship match next week. Good idea, but the execution here was lousy. The fans tried their best to hijack the segment and despite being very articulate, there was no fire in Carter III's promo. It just seemed like he was trying to be cute and clever, resorting to a bunch of cliches we've heard a million times. Eddie is not a promo guy, so once again he brought little to the table.

Finally Rosemary won the TNA Knockout's Championship in a Six-Sides of Steel match. It was easily the match of the night, but it just seemed like both ladies were working a WWE 2K match, trying to hit all the cool spots than actually putting together an emotionally charged competitive match. I wasn't a fan of how the match was laid out, Jade dominated the bulk of it, hit the big splash off the top of the cage (which is damn impressive no matter what gender you are) and then proceeded to lose in quick succession. Going up top looking to put Rosemary away, Rosemary recovered, sprayed her mist, hit her overly complex finish and that was that. I like having Rosemary as the champion, it's a good move for the division and a just reward for one of the best performers on the roster, but I was a little let down by the cage match.

And that was the show in a nut-shell. On paper, it sounds like one of the best editions of Impact in weeks, but the execution just wasn't there. Maybe it was getting long in the tapings, and having to film so many episodes in such a limited time frame hurt the production, but something was off this week. Hopefully TNA makes ammends next week with Eddie Edwards vs Ethan Carter III, the last ever Impact Billy Corgan was involved with.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the commentary for the cage match. IMO they did a good job telling the story throughout the match.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also liking Rosemary as KO champion. Far as long as she's been there she has just started taking part with the knockouts. She a fresh addition to the KO division with a familiar face. Plus this keeps Decay active with out being in the tag team division.

I'm also hoping they can team up EC3 and Eli. Only to have Eli turn on EC3.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TNA December 8th Thoughts

The show kicked off with an in-ring promo from Moose. The newly crowned Grand Champion was in complete babyface mode thanking the fans for all his support and having them chant Moose as often as possible. It's worth noting that the crowd seemed small, even by TNA standards. The lights were dimmed in certain parts and you could clearly see empty seats. As such whenever a chant got going, it sounded like one of those old studio shows you'd see from Mid-Atlantic or Georgia in the 80s. While Moose was making his big acceptance speech, who should interupt him but Drew Galloway. We haven't seen Drew since Bound For Glory where he explained his absence and he challenged Moose to a match for the Grand Championship. Before they could organise the match, Aaron Rex made his way to the ring, cut a Sandow-esque promo announcing that he was going to cash in his rematch clause right then and there. So they have a match where Rex uses a bunch of heel tricks to take the first two rounds, only to eat a giant dropkick by Moose and get hit by Moose's clunky finisher. The match itself was fine, but Moose really needs to work on that roundhouse strike. The set up is really awkward. Never the less, the Rex-Moose angle has been buried and we can look forward to a Moose reign with the worst belt in Professional Wrestling. As long as they just let him squash fools in the first round, it could be salvaged.

Next up, we had Aiden O'Shea vs Mandrews in one of the most tone-deaf matches of the year. In isolation, the match was a fine David v Goliath style match, but given Mandrews just turned heel, the match made him a complete babyface. Couldn't they have him work Grado or somebody? Also, I don't get this O'Shea character. For the past few months, he's been emasculating every star that has approached Corgan's office and buried any talent that's confronted him with no repercussions. Yet he's actually an active worker with a not-so good win record?

Then we had the Tag Team Strap match between the Tribunal and the team of Al Snow & Mahabali Shera. After watching this segment, I thought to myself and pondered what the point of all that was. Was it just to give these guys something to do? Because I would have thought the goal here was to get Shera over, but in this environment this did nothing for him. They can't have plans to make Al Snow & Mahabali Shera into a permanent tag team can they? Who do they even work? The DCC are a total bust, the Decay don't really fit and the Hardy Boys are simply out of their league. Maybe they could work a program with the Helms Dynasty, but even that would only last so long before it. Never the less, this was as basic as it got. The babyfaces got the better of the heels before the bell, the Tribunal dominated the bulk of the match, teased a finish only for the babyfaces to make a comeback and level the heels with the straps and win the match. Did I mention that I hate strap matches? They resemble something you'd see on a show like Nickolodeon Guts, not a supposed fight between two teams that can't stand one another.

Moving right along, the Hardy clan cut an in-ring promo where they announced that next week's show will be Total Non-Stop Deletion. A two hour pre-tape at the Hardy's compound that looks like it will be one of the most absurd shows you'll see all year. We already knew it was coming, but it was nice to see the segment and I'm excited to see the tag team battle royal they've got planned.

Now for one of the highlights of the week, Allie versus Laurel Van Ness. This was sports entertainment done to perfection. So over the course of the past couple of weeks, they've teased that Allie has a crush on perennial nice guy Braxton Suttor. So of course being the heel, Van Ness starts dating Suttor and does everything within her power to make Allie's life a living hell. It all builds into this match where we're supposed to believe that Allie is no chance. She isn't a wrestler, she's just Maria's personal assistant...she hasn't had much experience despite becoming Knockout's Champion not that long ago. However, Allie reveals an ace up her sleeve. She's been training lately...and the reason why Allie knows Van Ness isn't in a serious relationship with Suttor is because Braxton Suttor is Allie's trainer. Big babyface pop for Suttor, perhaps the biggest of his career and it all resulted in a fun match where the babyface finally got one over the dastardly heels. But that wasn't even the best part, because after the match, we were shown a backstage segment where Allie gave Suttor a peck on the lips before quickly fleeing like a little school girl. Yes, it's soap opera and incredibly hokey but the way this has all played out has been effective and it's getting a bunch of characters involved.

Then we had the TNA World Championship match between Ethan Carter III and Eddie Edwards. This was your typical even steven match with a hint of David v Goliath with EC3 bringing an impressive array of power offence. They worked a good television main event match, a couple of nicely worked spots when all of a sudden EC3 caught Edwards in a choke. Edwards was able to pin EC3's shoulders to the ground but as soon as Hebner counted 3, Edwards tapped out. Both parties made their case before the match was announced as a draw with Edwards retaining. EC3 sold the result well and it makes their inevitable rematch that much better.

And that's a wrap for the Billy Corgan era of TNA. I'm not sure if Billy was present at any of the tapings because he stopped appearing around the time the court case went down and a lot of his music (Rockstar Spud used Zero as his theme) was completely taken out. While the show struggles to ever break out of third gear, it certainly felt more well rounded than it had in years past. I'm not sure what his involvement was in regards to the Broken Matt Hardy character, but that's easily one of the best characters TNA ever came up with. It's also another example of a former WCW/WWF guy finding a second life on TNA (others being "Joker" Sting, Paparazzi Productions Nash and Bully Ray).

Never the less, next week's show promises to be one of the most memorable any company is likely to hold this year, so I implore anyone who enjoys wrestling to check it out. You don't need any context, just witness the insanity of it all.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want EC3 to win the belt and feud with Eli Drake for it.
    I like Aiden O'Shea vs Mandrews. I really like both guys.

I was pleased they gave Moose a title run. I miss their tv title, though..

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want EC3 to win the belt and feud with Eli Drake for it.
    I'd be down for that. Those two had one of the best TV segments I've seen all year and their follow-up match was good for what it was. I sort of feel sorry for Edwards who has really stepped his game up since becoming champion, but with all due respect, he doesn't have the personality of EC3 or Drake.

I like Aiden O'Shea vs Mandrews.
    I thought both guys made the most of a crappy situation. However, I couldn't get over the booking decision here.

O'Shea seems like a decent hand, I'm just unsure about his character. His whole 'tough guy' antics make zero sense and if you're going to book him in that role, he should at least be protected. Not booked to do jobs second match on the last television taping.

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do enjoy Eddie Edwards more without Davey Richards, but he still hasn't drawn me in completely. That being said, he's still a good champ and has put on quality matches.

But im still hoping EC3 wins the title back right around the time Eli Drake can open his mouth again.

Dummy, Yeah!

Question for you all: Thoughts on Aron Rex? (formerly Sandow)

Thank you Surrender!!!
    If prowrestling were fake, it would make every fan in the history of the sport a complete & utter moron - Monty Burns

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to include my own question: Is it the Aiden O'Shea character you enjoy, the in-ring performer, or both Mistress? Because for me, the character is the one component I'm struggling with and I'd like to get another perspective on the matter.

Idol Stevens/Damien Sandow/Mizdow/Aaron Rex, whatever you want to call him, he was one of my favourite gimmick guys, even going as far back to his work in OVW 06 where he was a Playboy with Beth Phoinex & Ariel as his valets. A money promo with good size and decent work ethic, maybe not the best worker in the ring but some of the biggest stars in the business can say the same thing. Unfortunately for Rex, his entire life for the past 5 years has been that of a WWE employee and so when you go to a new promotion, it's difficult to cut promos from the heart when you carry around those memories. It's like breaking out of a cult and trying to reconnect with life again, it's tough and the initial steps are always awkward (or at least that's what 60 minutes informs me...). So his first few months in the company were rough and I don't think TNA made his life any easier by making him their new Grand Champion and having him learn this completely new style. It was all just too much at once and what we got was this Jon Hamm looking guy cutting really generic company promos and just floundering. I think now that he's a heel, he's doing better but this is easily the roughest patch he's had. I think now that Moose is through with him, maybe he can find his footing but in the current TNA environment, I don't blame him for not giving his all and really trying to push boundaries. In saying that, I did think he made some good changes to his in-ring style and again I thought his heel performance against Moose was really good.

What are your thoughts on Rex's run in TNA, Mistress?

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like O'Shea as a chracter though im struggling with what the character is. He's made me chuckle though. In-ring I was impressed, but I want to see more. I never thought he had that much muscle. Could never tell under that coat of his.

As for Rex, im a fan through thick and thin, but he seems to have lost his spark. I'll cheer him no matter what but he isn't really doing it for me like he did in WWE. I agree his title run was a bit premature, but im hoping now he can get involved with a substantial feud with Moose or McIntyre and really start to shine.

His ring work is average to me, always has been.

Thank you Surrender!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides the Hardy segments and the main event I found this week's show boring.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone please tell me when the Total Non Stop deletion episode will air?

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nazzer View Post
    Can someone please tell me when the Total Non Stop deletion episode will air?
    Next Thursday can't wait for it! hopefully things pan out nicely.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Next Thursday can't wait for it! hopefully things pan out nicely.
    Thanks, is impact usually on at 8 pm eastern time?

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8pm Eastern/7pm Central every Thursday night on POP TV.

"Sing it daddeh"

Sorry after watching so many Impact episodes, it gets drummed into you.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry about the next couple of weeks of Impact, they're going to be 2016 retrospectives so unless you want to relive your favourite TNA moments you won't miss anything.

The first set of tapings under Anthem will air on January 5th with a live PPV planned the following day.

The taping schdule is as follows:
    January 5th
    January 6th
    January 7th
    January 8th
    January 10th
    January 11th
    January 12th

Grado will not be at the tapings since he's performing in Elfie's Magical Adventure, a Christmas themed play.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Don't worry about the next couple of weeks of Impact, they're going to be 2016 retrospectives so unless you want to relive your favourite TNA moments you won't miss anything.

The first set of tapings under Anthem will air on January 5th with a live PPV planned the following day.

The taping schdule is as follows:
    January 5th
    January 6th
    January 7th
    January 8th
    January 10th
    January 11th
    January 12th

Grado will not be at the tapings since he's performing in Elfie's Magical Adventure, a Christmas themed play.
    Interesting maybe I'd fine Grado more fun to watch in a play more then a wrestling ring.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    They Call it panto!!!!!!

I just read on the main page, that from next year the only way to watch TNA in the UK, is via this App that they are bringing out on apple and android products, or via their website - I knew that TNA were looking at culling some of their oversea's contracts, but i honestly did not know about this for the UK market.

Does anyone feel that this will kind of hurt their brand doing things this way? I kind of think so,l infact i was listening to a Uk yoof radio station last week, called BBC radio one, and they made reference to jeff Hardy being a wrestler, albeit a WWE one, i guess that is the sort of impact that TNA has ovre the media!
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" id="chat_embed" src="http://www.justin.tv/chat/embed?channel=gaz77uk&default_chat=jtv&popout_chat =true#r=-rid-&s=em" height="500" width="300"></iframe>

vCash
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Challenge binned it because of the plummeting viewing figures. If people weren't watching it on free TV, they're not going to pay to watch it on their Samsung Galaxy.

If I could watch it in HD through my TV (like the WWE Network), I'd be happy to pay 5 a month. But swerve watching on my computer or phone.
    PW World Heavyweight Champion - Today, Tomorrow, FOREVER

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't find a video for it, but TNA's Christmas episode from 2007 is still one of the best episodes of weekly wrestling TV ever.

Silent Night, Bloody Night. The barbed wire Christmas tree. GOLD.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Has there been a show since Total Nonstop Deletion? Was there a resolution to Lashley vs Edwards?

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#FightForever
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Has there been a show since Total Nonstop Deletion? Was there a resolution to Lashley vs Edwards?
    Two recap shows but the second one had some extra stuff in it I believe. Matt returned the soul and name of Jeff hardy to Brother Nero. No, there was no end to the World title match.

TNA Forum Title History
    Forum Championship (1 time)
    Tag Team Championship (3 time)
    X Championship (2 time)
    Internet Championship (3 time)

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And here it is, complete with confirmation that Dixie Carter has resigned as Chairman of TNA.

Quote Originally Posted by mx518
    he's one of the biggest smarks on this board and epitomizes everything that a smark actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mx518 View Post
    No, it's just called being realistic; I never thought I'd see DJM join the dark side.
    NOBODY PUTS BABY IN A CORNER!

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, TNA, you have officially earned chance #2. Both Dixie and Russo had to be gone for it to be truly over and here we are. Don't blow it!

Thread Information