Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 35434445
Results 1,101 to 1,121 of 1121

Thread: Election day 2016 coverage, who will become President?

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Election day 2016 coverage, who will become President?

What exactly was he saying about my vote counting then?
    Nothing. Trump said Obama was ineligible to run. And once Obama disproved the allegations Trump never accused his elections of being fraudulent days before his being sworn into office.

Lewis is saying the election itself means nothing. That's the difference. And without any meaningful proof to that, he needs to grab the Kleenex and Preparation H, sit the fuck down, and shut the fuck up. I said the same thing when Obama won twice and the Tea Bags kept crying "Not my President"

PS. Donald Trump also was not a sitting member of the United States Senate when he made those comments.
    Last edited by The Real LT; 01-17-2017 at 11:02 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    Lewis isn't just attacking Trump. He is attacking the entire electoral process and every person that voted for Trump.
    What's wrong with that? Any voting system where the person who gets the most votes doesn't win is clearly flawed. Not to mention all the issues in the US with voter supression, and without even talking about Trump's ethical/moral legitimacy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing. Trump said Obama was ineligible to run. And once Obama disproved the allegations Trump never accused his elections of being fraudulent days before his being sworn into office.

Lewis is saying the election itself means nothing. That's the difference. And without any meaningful proof to that, he needs to grab the Kleenex and Preparation H, sit the fuck down, and shut the fuck up. I said the same thing when Obama won twice and the Tea Bags kept crying "Not my President"

PS. Donald Trump also was not a sitting member of the United States Senate when he made those comments.
    Neither is Representative John Lewis. Turns out one was a future POTUS though.

I'm just going to have to agree to disagree with you about it, because nothing you're arguing makes any sense to me and I don't want to keep going in circles.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    What's wrong with that? Any voting system where the person who gets the most votes doesn't win is clearly flawed. Not to mention all the issues in the US with voter supression, and without even talking about Trump's ethical/moral legitimacy.

He won by the rules that were clearly established before the election. If Lewis felt that process is flawed he should advocate to have it changed. Not crying that the person that won fairly by those rules is illegitimate because he didn't like the result. If he honestly feels that way he frankly should resign his office.

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is funny that when ONE democrat uses Republican logic and just decides to say fuck logic and reason this feels wrong the right goes nuts. Gonna be fun when the dems let the claws out next month.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The POTUS isn't won by California and New York, thankfully, so saying "she had more votes" means dog shit. The POTUS is decided one way and Donald Trump won it fair and square. He didn't have to spend millions and millions of dollars, have celebrities perform for him, get questions fed to him by Donna Brazile and most certainly didn't order fireworks pre-voted like a fucking clown.

2 more days and America will be great, again. Can't wait!

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He did spend millions of dollars though, for the record...

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference is Trump's attack was strictly on the President. Lewis isn't just attacking Trump. He is attacking the entire electoral process and every person that voted for Trump. He's trying to say "your vote should not count" Very inappropriate from someone who traditionally was seen as a champion of voting rights.
    You ... honestly might want to check what Trump himself has said about Obama. I'm not even talking about just the birther stuff. Check the stuff he's said JUST after both elections. Most of it should still be on his own Twitter feed. Trump has said worse about Obama, the electoral process AND the people who voted for him than Lewis said with significantly less justification and significantly more malice.

Trump is the kind of person who can dish it out but can't take it.

Nothing. Trump said Obama was ineligible to run. And once Obama disproved the allegations Trump never accused his elections of being fraudulent days before his being sworn into office.Lewis is saying the election itself means nothing. That's the difference. And without any meaningful proof to that, he needs to grab the Kleenex and Preparation H, sit the fuck down, and shut the fuck up. I said the same thing when Obama won twice and the Tea Bags kept crying "Not my President"

Check Trump's own Twitter feed in regards to this part. Specifically after he was elected the first time and on the NIGHT of his re-election.

The biggest difference is being one side has significantly more justification behind their logic then the other. And I'm not even saying that I agree with Lewis on his opinion in regards to the legitimacy behind Trump's presidency (as his opinion, in CONTEXT, was how it related to foreign bodies interfering and, whether or not you think it impacted the election, the fact is it DID happen). Even moreso given that he lost the popular election by just under 3 million votes and won the electoral but under 80 k across 3 states.

You also mentioned that if people have had an issue with the electoral college's role; they should advocate to change that ... yeah; advocating for changes has been going on for a VERY long time. The issue is that you need all the states to agree to the change. I'd look into the history of the Electoral College reform.

Now if you want to also make the argument about elected officials; wouldn't that exact same thing apply to Republician members of congreses and elected officials who have said worse about Obama? The difference is Obama (like Bush and many other world leaders before him) don't punch down and ignore it. I'm also willing to bet that, even if they would respond, they'd make sure their response was both targeted at the criticism itself (not the person) AND based in fact.
    Last edited by T-Bone; 01-18-2017 at 10:14 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first 100 days in office, Trump will already do more good for this country then Obama.

Obama was an awful president.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check Trump's own Twitter feed in regards to this part. Specifically after he was elected the first time and on the NIGHT of his re-election.
    Trump was dead wrong to do so. Dosen't make Lewis any more right in what he's doing. And it certainly dosen't make Lewis immune from criticism.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trump was dead wrong to do so. Dosen't make Lewis any more right in what he's doing. And it certainly dosen't make Lewis immune from criticism.
    See, here's the thing; I don't disagree with you.

The difference is: not one single part of the criticism that was leveled at Lewis was at his comments. It was at him. And, perhaps even more importantly, they weren't even based in the realm of reality by any measure (especially since, by damn near any measure, the man has been successful at what he does). Keep in mind, even Trump appeared to realize it and tried to course correct it to referring to "the inner cities" instead of his district (which he uses interchangeably with "the African Americans" so ...).

What I think you're mistaking is in thinking people are upset at the criticism to him ... what people are upset at are the fact that the criticism isn't even remotely true by any measure.

And that also doesn't negate any of the other things I wrote either. I actually was going to rewrite that stuff but then I remembered it's even still on this same page so no need to repeat it.
    Last edited by T-Bone; 01-18-2017 at 11:11 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For everyone still confused on this issue.....

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...264&ajaxhist=0

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

His pick for the secretary of education is abysmal.

You're Welcome.

Moderately Moderating Michinokudriver's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shutting this thread down on Inauguration Day. Please refer to RT's thread for your ongoing Presidential discussion after that date.

Nominee: PW's Most Knowledgeable Poster, 2006
    Co-winner: PW's Most Knowledgeable Nerd, 2006

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sB View Post
    His pick for the secretary of education is abysmal.
    Yup. Makes my degree more valuable, but it sucks for public schools.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For everyone still confused on this issue.....

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...264&ajaxhist=0
    The funny thing about this is many pretend that motions of no confidence are not a real thing. Trump being illegitimate and unfit is another way of suggesting maybe it is time to join the civilized world in allowing formal votes of no confidence.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If they're going to do something to join the civilized world of governance, they'll scrap the presidential system altogether.

But nothing like that is coming.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    If they're going to do something to join the civilized world of governance, they'll scrap the presidential system altogether.

But nothing like that is coming.
    What system would you prefer? The Westminster system works fairly well but I don't know if it can survive the current political climate and obstructionism.

vCash
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iNCY View Post
    What system would you prefer? The Westminster system works fairly well but I don't know if it can survive the current political climate and obstructionism.
    I'm too far removed from political science classes to know the preferred model for democratic states now, some form of parliamentary structure was what the emphasis was on a long time back but I don't know a lot about it being a 'Merican and all

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rise of the Geniocracy?

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No... Most people who are classed as Highly Intelligent are on the Autistic spectrum which inhibits EQ
    I say that thinking EQ is completely subjective and impossible to test for.

There are some real problems ahead for governments and I think many of the problems are unanswerable.
    People incur more health costs in their final year of life than for the rest of the life, what does that mean from a rational standpoint and should it ever be viewed from an economical standpoint?

What rights are inalienable?
    Does equality mean equal opportunity or equal outcome?
    Is the way to create equality to inhibit the successful?

These are pretty fundamental questions where there has really been no conversation at all.

Thread Information