Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: College Basketball 2016 Discussion thread

Space Invaders Champion! Hexxagon Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: College Basketball 2016 Discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Hart View Post
    It was a motivational tool that really wasn't working until Wake let them off the hook. I still can't quite believe that and I watched Wake blow a 10 point lead against Clemson in the late stages of that game.
    I can believe it. I can't believe that Middle Tennessee is going to go undefeated in Conference USA.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Slug View Post
    I can believe it. I can't believe that Middle Tennessee is going to go undefeated in Conference USA.
    Wake had a 96% chance of winning that game with about 2 minutes left. They lost in regulation.

Middle Tennessee had a strong showing in the NCAA's last year and the C-USA of today is not what it once was. Their solid showing so far during conference play should not come off as a surprise.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wake had a 96% chance of winning that game with about 2 minutes left. They lost in regulation.

Middle Tennessee had a strong showing in the NCAA's last year and the C-USA of today is not what it once was. Their solid showing so far during conference play should not come off as a surprise.
    Granted the conference isn't exactly at their peak, but Middle Tennessee lost to Georgia St and Tennessee St. Losing one in conference shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility- or at least winning by less than ten.
    If all of mankind minus one were of of one opinion, and only one person of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
    -John Stuart Mill

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Slug View Post
    Granted the conference isn't exactly at their peak, but Middle Tennessee lost to Georgia St and Tennessee St. Losing one in conference shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility- or at least winning by less than ten.
    MTSU is still a 40-50 team that is playing well in a mid-major conference. That shouldn't come across as a surprise.

Is Snooker Loopy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zona at Oregon today will go a long way in deciding the Pac-12 with UCLA probably out of contention. The Ducks are three point favourites but I'm going to take Arizona straaaaaight up! Anyone disagree?

Also a lot of heat on Gonzaga for getting that number one ranking. They beat BYU by 10 on the road which is hardly a ringing endorsement of their number one status but still better than nothing. Do you think that a mid major team that goes undefeated (maybe) can ever truly get the number one ranking? To be fair to Gonzaga, they try to schedule a difficult non-conference schedule to compensate. I'm torn on this one...

2011 NCAA Poster Of Year Sweetness_Bolt's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonzaga has wins over Arizona, Florida, Iowa St, St Marys, BYU, Akron, Tennessee & San Diego St

Combine that with them having the largest point differential in the country & they are easily deserving of the #1 ranking. They gotta be one of the top contenders for the National Title

In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend
    Your Worst Inhibitions They Will PSYCH You Out In The End

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gonzaga is definitely deserving of the 1 seed. Crazy how that school gets players to commit that can put together such great teams for consecutive years. It shows how well that program is run in basketball. Do they even have a football program? Are they not D1 or something? I never hear of them.

As for the future, the Ball Bros are going to be keeping UCLA legit for a long time and once the two younger ones join the team, that school is going to win National Championships. The youngest Ball just had a 92 point game yesterday in a High School game. The Ball Trio of Bros is going to take basketball by storm soon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    Gonzaga is definitely deserving of the 1 seed. Crazy how that school gets players to commit that can put together such great teams for consecutive years. It shows how well that program is run in basketball. Do they even have a football program? Are they not D1 or something? I never hear of them.
    They quit playing football in 1941.
    -John Stuart Mill

Is Snooker Loopy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness_Bolt View Post
    Gonzaga has wins over Arizona, Florida, Iowa St, St Marys, BYU, Akron, Tennessee & San Diego St

Combine that with them having the largest point differential in the country & they are easily deserving of the #1 ranking. They gotta be one of the top contenders for the National Title
    I love Gonzaga. I want them to win the national title.

But...

Let me play devil's advocate.

Every win from St. Mary's to San Diego State is not that impressive.

Iowa State is only impressive as they beat Kansas. The Florida win is good but they beat Arizona without Trier.

The Zags always schedule aggressively non-conference as they play in the shitty WCC. But let me ask you this... Would they look as good in the ACC? Does their guard play stand up to other top teams? I hope so. And I hope they go all the way. Just trying to spark a bit of discussion on this.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    I love Gonzaga. I want them to win the national title.

But...

Let me play devil's advocate.

Every win from St. Mary's to San Diego State is not that impressive.

Iowa State is only impressive as they beat Kansas. The Florida win is good but they beat Arizona without Trier.

The Zags always schedule aggressively non-conference as they play in the shitty WCC. But let me ask you this... Would they look as good in the ACC? Does their guard play stand up to other top teams? I hope so. And I hope they go all the way. Just trying to spark a bit of discussion on this
    St Mary's is ranked with Gonzaga being half of their losses. Akron is one of the best mid major teams leading the MAC. Tennessee has a chance to make the tourney with a few impressive wins & very tough schedule

Iowa St is strong & going over .500 in the Big 12 is great. Trier has played only 6 games this season for Arizona, they're clearly great without him also

Zags have about 6 potential pros on this team with Goss, Karnowski, Collins, Williams, Perkins & Tillie. Matthews & Nelson also strong players. Easily the best team they've ever had. Ken Pom has them #1 @ 33.72, Top 5 In Both Off & Def

I think you put them in either the ACC or Big 12 & they got only 2 or 3 losses in conf play. An average margin of victory by over 20 points is really strong with a pretty good non conf schedule

Looking forward to Gonzaga @ St Marys. Should be good game for both teams no matter who wins

In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend

Is Snooker Loopy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetness_Bolt View Post
    St Mary's is ranked with Gonzaga being half of their losses. Akron is one of the best mid major teams leading the MAC. Tennessee has a chance to make the tourney with a few impressive wins & very tough schedule

Iowa St is strong & going over .500 in the Big 12 is great. Trier has played only 6 games this season for Arizona, they're clearly great without him also

Zags have about 6 potential pros on this team with Goss, Karnowski, Collins, Williams, Perkins & Tillie. Matthews & Nelson also strong players. Easily the best team they've ever had. Ken Pom has them #1 @ 33.72, Top 5 In Both Off & Def

I think you put them in either the ACC or Big 12 & they got only 2 or 3 losses in conf play. An average margin of victory by over 20 points is really strong with a pretty good non conf schedule

Looking forward to Gonzaga @ St Marys. Should be good game for both teams no matter who wins
    You know your CBB and there's not a lot I can pick at there but I will for the sake of getting this thread going!

St. Mary's are a good team. Not great but good. Gonzaga beating them in Spokane was expected. If the Zags win in Moraga tonight, you have Gonzaga's first impressive win in conference play.

I don't consider margin of victory a real stat when you play a majority of your games in the WCC. Beating up Pepperdine and Santa Clara by 20+ inflates those stats.

I think because the Zags cruise in the WCC for so long, it hurts their chances once they get to the sweet 16. I almost feel that they should wrap up the WCC tournament and then schedule 2-3 non-conference games just to have their players experience tight basketball again. Obviously that's impossible but you get what I'm saying.

On another note, is Duke back on track? Are they going to peak at the right time?

Is Snooker Loopy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a quick note on St Mary's...

If they don't beat the Zags today they have no justification of being ranked.

I took a closer look at their schedule and it is poor. They didn't, unlike Gonzaga, schedule aggressively in non-conference play. They have not beaten a single ranked team all season. How can they be in the top 25? What is that based on? I know Kenpom likes them but maybe I'm a bit too old school in believing you actually need to beat teams...

If they beat Gonzaga tonight then they will finish as a ranked team and get a 4/5 seed. I think it's a bigger game for St Mary's than the Zags...

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St Johns just beat Seton Hall and may have hurt their bid for an NCAA birth. I think only Nova, Xavier, Creighton and Butler deserve to go to the tourney honestly.

I would love an NIT bid for St Johns, hope the kids can get in that one.
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    St Johns just beat Seton Hall and may have hurt their bid for an NCAA birth. I think only Nova, Xavier, Creighton and Butler deserve to go to the tourney honestly.

I would love an NIT bid for St Johns, hope the kids can get in that one.
    That might be hard, because St. John's is currently two games under .500. Its a lot harder to make the NIT these days than it was 10-15 years ago. NIT must mid-majors that won a regular season championship, but lost in their conference tournament. With that said, St. John's has made good strides after a rough start.

This is the first time Wake is playing meaningful basketball games in the month of February since 2010. They are up to #30 on kenpom, have an RPI of #31 and just beat one of oldest rivals (NC State) by 30 points. They are currently 15-10 (6-7) while having a Top 10ish SOS. They need 3 more wins to go dancing, IMO, unless one of those wins are against BC in the ACC Tournament.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at the bubble teams, I'd still put Marquette & Seton Hall in the tourney. Certainly over weak bubble teams in the Big 10 & SEC. I only feel comfortable giving the ACC about 10 teams & the Big 12 looks like it deserves 7. I see 4 at large teams from non Power 6 Conferences

ACC- 10 / Big 12 - 7 / Big East- 6 / Pac 12- 6 / Big 10- 5 / SEC- 4 / WCC- 2 / A10- 2 / AAC- 2 / MVC-2
    That's my current list

Gonzaga & Villanova are the 2 teams I think are clearly ahead of everyone else. I'd currently bet on one of those 2 to win the title

Is Snooker Loopy

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bolty, I agree on Marquette. They have wins against Villanova and Creighton in Omaha. I believe they have two games against Xavier and one against Creightoncoming up too. One win from those three should clinch it for them but even if they don't, I still think they're in.

Seton Hall I'm not so sure. They beat Cal in non-conference play but it's their Big East record that worries me. They haven't beat anyone they weren't really expected to. The good news is, they have 4 of their last 6 against NCAA tournament teams. A win or two and they're in.

vCash
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That might be hard, because St. John's is currently two games under .500. Its a lot harder to make the NIT these days than it was 10-15 years ago. NIT must mid-majors that won a regular season championship, but lost in their conference tournament. With that said, St. John's has made good strides after a rough start.

This is the first time Wake is playing meaningful basketball games in the month of February since 2010. They are up to #30 on kenpom, have an RPI of #31 and just beat one of oldest rivals (NC State) by 30 points. They are currently 15-10 (6-7) while having a Top 10ish SOS. They need 3 more wins to go dancing, IMO, unless one of those wins are against BC in the ACC Tournament.
    I think if they finish 5th in the BE(Not sure if it happens) and there are 4 BE teams in the big game, I don't see how you can't have STJ in the NIT. Being over .500 is no longer a requirement.

If Marquette gets season sweep'd by the Johnnies, there's no justification for them to be in a play in game, let alone the NCAA Tourney. Sorry.
    Currently Playing:
    Cosmic Star Heroine(PS4), Rocket League(PS4), Steins;Gate 0(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    I think if they finish 5th in the BE(Not sure if it happens) and there are 4 BE teams in the big game, I don't see how you can't have STJ in the NIT. Being over .500 is no longer a requirement.

If Marquette gets season sweep'd by the Johnnies, there's no justification for them to be in a play in game, let alone the NCAA Tourney. Sorry.
    1. I see St John's finishing at 14-17 (8-10). I just don't think that is going to be good enough for the NIT.
    2. Marquette has work to do. Very up and down team.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Blindy

It also needs to be mentioned that these selections committee's don't really care where you finish in your conference. If you finish higher than Marquette in the BE standings and Marquette doesn't make the NCAA Tournament, there is zero chance that St. John's is selected ahead of Marquette for the NIT. It is all about your resume.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complete chokejob by West Virginia against Kansas. Should be ashamed of themselves.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gottfried out at NC State after six years. He will coach the rest of the season.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big 12 is strongest conference top to bottom but I can't say I buy into anyone as a title threat. West Virginia has struggled heavily in close games, Baylor 2-4 in last 6 & Kansas last 6 wins by 6 or less which isn't sustainable. Kansas looks like a likely 2nd Round upset victim

I see Bracket people putting Clemson on the bubble & it's baffling. They're 4-10 in the ACC with their best conference win being v Wake Forest. They consistently play everyone close but that doesn't matter if they're losses. Clemson has 0% chance with their resume of getting an at large bid. I also don't see Michigan St as deserving. Beat Wichita St in non conference, but lost all their other tests. They got no wins v Purdue, Wisconsin or Maryland. Lost by 22 v Purdue & got Wisconsin+Maryland next week, they must win atleast 1 of those 2 games

My list of how I'd seed the top teams right now
    1: Gonzaga, Villanova, Kansas & Arizona
    2: North Carolina, Louisville, Baylor & Oregon
    3: UCLA, Duke, Florida & Kentucky
    4: West Virginia, Notre Dame, Florida St & Butler
    5: Cincinnati, Purdue, Virginia & SMU

My List Of Top 5 Players In The Nation
    1- Josh Hart (Villanova
    2- Frank Mason (Kansas)
    3- Nigel Williams Goss (Gonzaga)
    4- Lauri Markkanen (Arizona)
    5- Caleb Swanigan (Purdue)

My List Of Top 5 Freshman In Nation
    1- Lauri Markkanen (Arizona)
    2- Markell Fultz (Washington)
    3- Jayson Tatum (Duke)
    4- Josh Jackson (Kansas)
    5- Malik Monk (Kentucky)
    Last edited by Sweetness_Bolt; 02-19-2017 at 11:10 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clemson being in as recently as last week has been very strange.

John Collins has been absolutely fantastic in the past ten games.

24.4 PPG, 10.9 RPG while 66% from the field. Wake is on the wrong side of the bubble right now, but they still have time to do some work. If Collins stays, which is looking unlikely at this point, Wake is going to have a Top 25 team next year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Sweetness_Bolt, what team is better then their record right now and could be a serious threat in March? Some teams hit at the right time, like Kembas Uconn team. Are the best really that much more superior then the rest?

I know Villanova is going to make a run at it, again and I think they make it to the Final 4. As usual, I'll pull for UNC, but I haven't heard much about them. I know they're seeded high, but what are their chances at making it back to the Finals? Also, how much of a serious title contender does Lonzo Ball make UCLA? Are they a legitimate threat or just media noise because of their star player? I think they have a legit shot at the National Championship game from what I've seen. My early pick would be a UCLA/Kansas Championship game. I can never trust Gonzaga in March and I think Villanova gets upset in the Final 4 by UCLA or Kansas.

Figured I would get some answers from you, since it seems you follow it closely. I haven't been following this season as much as I've wanted to.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think the best teams are so much better then the rest, they're just more consistent & trustworthy. Teams like Gonzaga & Villanova are less likely to have off days. But as far as teams with bunch of losses that is capable of being a tough out? Marquette has wins over Villanova, Creighton, Xavier & Seton Hall. Tennessee has wins over Kentucky & Kansas St, played many tough teams like Gonzaga, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Oregon & Florida in close games. Georgia Tech has wins v Syracuse, Notre Dame, Florida St & North Carolina. Iowa St has wins over Kansas, Miami, Okla St & TCU

So Marquette, Tennessee, Georgia Tech & Iowa St 4 teams whose resumes I like with atleast 9 losses

North Carolina is a serious threat. Best record in a strong conference right now. Could certainly get that Final #1. Not that unlikely we get rematch of Nova v UNC. Ball is really good but I don't buy into UCLA as a threat, their defense is in the 120's in efficiency rankings. Way too high to be taken seriously. They're hard to beat because offense is phenomenal but need some D. Even the teams that are overly reliant on Defense are struggling right now like Virginia, West Virginia & South Carolina

I don't see Gonzaga as hard to trust because when they're seeded low they get to S16 or E8 & are beaten early when seeded high. Only true exception is 2 years ago when they lost to Wichita St but WSU made F4 & gave eventual champ Louisville a tough game. Gonzaga has more then almost anyone played to their expectations in the tournament & that helps me like their chances of making the Final 4 plus they're top 5 in both offense & defense efficiency numbers

Kansas is always a tough team to predict because they can just as easily lose early as make Elite 8. Since 2010 they've made E8 or Further 3 times & lost in 2nd Round 3 times, so they're hard to read in March. I have worries with them cause 6 straight wins by 6 or less doesn't seem sustainable to me, but they're clearly strong
    Last edited by Sweetness_Bolt; 02-20-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Thread Information