Thread: How Do You Find Out About World News? Post Interesting World News Stories Here!

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How Do You Find Out About World News? Post Interesting World News Stories Here!

Figured I'd ask this question just outta blatant curiosity...For those of ya'll who like to keep up with news in other countries, do you trust mainstream sources such as CNN/BBC or others such as Al Jazeera? Personally I mix it up with http://www.vice.com/en_us CCTV China, Al Jazeera and CCTV Africa(China's affiliate news company that with surprising accuracy covers news from all over the African continent. Another honorable mention is Russia Beyond The Headlines http://rbth.com/ .

For whatever news outlets you use, why do you use them?

Here's a couple examples..This story below is about a father and son in southern Siberia who have taken up reindeer farming near the city of Novosibirsk(which means "New Siberia"). The Kuvikins do a variety of things, such as selling reindeer antlers to be ground up and put into supplemental supplements for athletes, selling individual animals, selling reindeer meat to restaurants in Novosibirsk, selling reindeer blood for pantogematogen(which helps with vitality and boosting the immune system as well as other things) along with it being an ingredient in bath concentrates, as well as offering eco-tourism stays on their property. So far the father-son team hasn't had much success with eco-tourism but they won't give up on it either.
    http://rbth.com/business/2016/11/03/...-herder_644735

An English/Nigerian artist named Yinka Shoni-bare wants to build a hub for international artists/thinkers in central Lagos, Nigeria. I hope more artistic venture like this happen in other regions in Africa.

This one is about a Kung Fu festival in Nairobi, Kenya to encourage Africans to take up Kung Fu. The festival is also a competition in a sense because the winners will goto Beijing for a weeklong intensive Kung Fu crash course, return to Kenya and teach what they learned to others. Turns out Kung Fu's been big in Kenya for years. A big reason why China and Africa are close today goes back thousands of years to the Silk Road when Chinese people would visit countries such as Kenya, Somalia, Eritrea, Djibouti and Ethiopia to trade with the tribes who lived there. In turn, people from eastern Africa ended up going to live in China(not as slaves but simply as people) thousands of years ago.
    Last edited by Soulblazed; 11-07-2016 at 05:15 PM.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How Do You Find Out About World News? Post Interesting World News Stories Here!

I just visit www.reddit.com/r/worldnews once or twice a day and read the headlines. Then I click on the articles that look interesting.

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How Do You Find Out About World News? Post Interesting World News Stories Here!

I think it's important to take news of your own country through the filter of an outsider as well as world news. I do a bit of driving and there are some great podcasts by NPR and BBC that give you a wrap up of the world news.
    I am a bit of a news junkie but watching your own news gets repetitive.

vCash
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never go on reddit for news but maybe I should check that out sometime...

Yea you're very right, @iNCY. I definitely agree that you should read about/watch news about your own country from an outsider's perspective being that that'll give you a more balanced perspective on whatever news story you're reading about.

This is a really good thing happening in Nigeria. A woman is helping to grow local food in shipping containers using a hydroponic system.

Thread Information