Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lucha Underground Superthread

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lucha Underground Superthread

Man you got to make it to Aztec Warfare II, probably one of my favorite matches of all time. Definitely my favorite episode of LU.

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can remember the first being fun enough as far as those multi-person rumble-style matches go, but ending with a full on sick match in a way that made it a cut and a half above the general standard. Hyped for the second one now!

I know the actual similarities and product comparisons are few and far between, but LU is without a doubt the new ECW for me. In a current landscape where I've pretty much "seen it all before" LU taken shit to a whole new level of wonder. Not giving a shit about the behind the scenes politics has made me feel like a kid again. It's like my cynical and jaded outlook on wrasslin has been rebooted when I'm watching it.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Man you got to make it to Aztec Warfare II, probably one of my favorite matches of all time. Definitely my favorite episode of LU.
    Yep, looking forward to Kash's thoughts on Aztec Warfare II. That match was just perfectly booked and was the best LU match of all time along with also being one of my favourite matches ever. Everything about it was utter amazing and this was coming after LU was seemingly having MOTYC's every week and this somehow topped them all. Think I've ended up rewatching that match so many times and it just gets better every single time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be sure to, bro.

I have to point out that I've once again fallen in love with Catrina. Gotta love a chick who can teleport.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are getting Mack vs Mundo in an All Night Long match. Sometimes life is just fucking great

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Yang Xiao Long fangirl Mistress's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so happy Mack was dropped from WWE. He would never get away with the Stunners and People's Eyebrows. I love his character. Although unlikely, I really want him to win the belt. He moves so well for a big man. Reminds me of Samoa Joe.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Voted Co-Most Underrated Nerdery Poster of 2014 (With Raven*)
    Currently watching: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Nanbaka, Samurai Jack & Hunter X Hunter

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it when Mantanza goes apeshit crazy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been catching up on the episodes of Season 3 that I missed, got myself up to Aztec Warfare. A few thoughts:

-Everything to do with Famous B/Son of Havoc/Mascarita Sagurda/Dr. Wagner Jr. has been gold and the believers backlash match was hilarious, easily one of the best comedy matches of 2016.

-Prince Puma vs Mil Muertes in Grave Consequences was epic and it's amazing how Lucha Underground have taken a concept like a Casket Match which was never known for good matches and managed to turn it into something that consistently produces great stuff. Mil/Fenix, Mil/Matanza and now Mil/Puma have just all been fantastic matches and they all feature high-level drama along with violence. This one had everything and it's interesting that Puma lost and where they actually go with him. I know there was rumors a year ago about Ricochet joining WWE but I think those have died down so I wonder if he's done with the show or are they going to somehow bring him back, likely through Vampiros help? Hopefully he does rise from the dead as it'd be interesting character depth and would be a huge blow to lose somebody like Puma.

-Speaking of losing people, Chavo is gone! So happy with that decision and hopefully they stick to that decision as the guy is utterly horrible although I will say that the Loser Leaves Lucha match between him and Rey was good and I enjoyed the swerve they did with Chavo Sr. drawing the DQ.

-I love the idea of the councilmans lord needing to harvest a body and that somebody will have to wear it. Spares them having to do a huge debut like Matanza again and gives somebody a big push.

-Speaking of somebody getting the huge push, fuck Sexy Stars push. I seriously get how people feel when discussing Cena/Reigns now because her super push is just completely unbearable. It took Mundo a chair, brass knuckles and constant interference to pin Sexy Star while she easily had him beat twice and now she beats Mil Muertes clean to win the title? Of all people she could have pinned to have won Aztec Warfare III, it had to be Mil Muertes? Clean? A guy who rarely loses? Ugh. I like that LU did what a lot of other companies wouldn't do and put the title on a woman and I really like Sexy's character but she's horrible in the ring and the lengths that they go to protect become eye-roll worthy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope Mariposa squashes Sexy like a bug.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkman View Post
    Been catching up on the episodes of Season 3 that I missed, got myself up to Aztec Warfare. A few thoughts:

-Everything to do with Famous B/Son of Havoc/Mascarita Sagurda/Dr. Wagner Jr. has been gold and the believers backlash match was hilarious, easily one of the best comedy matches of 2016.

-Prince Puma vs Mil Muertes in Grave Consequences was epic and it's amazing how Lucha Underground have taken a concept like a Casket Match which was never known for good matches and managed to turn it into something that consistently produces great stuff. Mil/Fenix, Mil/Matanza and now Mil/Puma have just all been fantastic matches and they all feature high-level drama along with violence. This one had everything and it's interesting that Puma lost and where they actually go with him. I know there was rumors a year ago about Ricochet joining WWE but I think those have died down so I wonder if he's done with the show or are they going to somehow bring him back, likely through Vampiros help? Hopefully he does rise from the dead as it'd be interesting character depth and would be a huge blow to lose somebody like Puma.

-Speaking of losing people, Chavo is gone! So happy with that decision and hopefully they stick to that decision as the guy is utterly horrible although I will say that the Loser Leaves Lucha match between him and Rey was good and I enjoyed the swerve they did with Chavo Sr. drawing the DQ.

-I love the idea of the councilmans lord needing to harvest a body and that somebody will have to wear it. Spares them having to do a huge debut like Matanza again and gives somebody a big push.

-Speaking of somebody getting the huge push, fuck Sexy Stars push. I seriously get how people feel when discussing Cena/Reigns now because her super push is just completely unbearable. It took Mundo a chair, brass knuckles and constant interference to pin Sexy Star while she easily had him beat twice and now she beats Mil Muertes clean to win the title? Of all people she could have pinned to have won Aztec Warfare III, it had to be Mil Muertes? Clean? A guy who rarely loses? Ugh. I like that LU did what a lot of other companies wouldn't do and put the title on a woman and I really like Sexy's character but she's horrible in the ring and the lengths that they go to protect become eye-roll worthy.
    It kills me when people say Star won clean. She didn't. MIL crashed through a goddamn table! anyone could be pinned after that.

Star wasn't made to look super strong vs Mundo either. Mundo didn't cheat because Star is strong. He cheats because he's a heel and that's what they do. That's what makes Worldwide Underground so much fun. They cheat because they can, not because they need to.

Star deserved a title run. She's been a key part of LU and this was a great way to say good bye to her.

Thank you Surrender!!!
    Currently watching: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Nanbaka, Samurai Jack & Hunter X Hunter

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
    It kills me when people say Star won clean. She didn't. MIL crashed through a goddamn table! anyone could be pinned after that.

Star wasn't made to look super strong vs Mundo either. Mundo didn't cheat because Star is strong. He cheats because he's a heel and that's what they do. That's what makes Worldwide Underground so much fun. They cheat because they can, not because they need to.

Star deserved a title run. She's been a key part of LU and this was a great way to say good bye to her.
    Eh I disagree on it not being clean, it's a match with no rules so it's not like she cheated to win. I'll agree with you on Mundo cheating not because he has too but because he can, it's one of many reasons why Mundo is just awesome as a heel. They established in Season 1 as a face that he's one of the best wrestlers in the temple and on his day can beat anybody and now he just cheats because it's the easy way for him but I thought that Gift of the Gods match was bordering on ridiculous for how much it took for him to put her away, having a three on one beatdown, using chairs and brass knuckles to finally put her away. I'm all for this intergender stuff and think it's awesome and I don't mind Mundo cheating to beat her because he should but that was just ridiculous. I think they executed it better with the world title match and that stuff with Taya as a 'fan'.

I don't know how much I'd agree with her getting the belt either. I dig the character they have for Sexy and the way they've built her up but I think outside of the No Mas match she kind of sucks in the ring. I think they probably should have and hopefully do in the future put the title on Ivelisse but that's just me (and so we can get Ivelisse/Evans for the title to see who the true baddest bitch in the building is )

Went through a few more episodes:

-Holy snowballs that Dante Fox/Killshot match was incredible. Killshots had two of the three best matches in Season 3 so far, guy is insane. Can't wait to see how they try and top that match, this feud could be the Fenix/Cuerno trilogy of awesomeness.

-The Rabbit Tribe is amazing

-I'm digging the Korba Moon/Drago storyline so far as it's pretty interesting and worlds more interesting than that Daga/Moon storyline. I take it that Daga is dead in the show then? Shame, was there any reason that he's gone from the show?

-The Pentagon/Black Lotus Triad match was nuts and the STARDOM girls were awesome. Don't know how anybody could watch them in that match and then say Sexy Star even remotely compares in the ring. Dive off the top of the office was glorious and I don't mind Pentagon losing that match as it didn't hurt him although he looked like a geek with two broken arms but ah well.

-Angry Matanza breaking free and putting the hurt on Dragon Azteca Jr. was great. That's gonna be an awesome match.

-I laughed so hard at Cortez being forced to go back to the Temple with a mask on. Reminds me of Juan Cena or Mr. America

-Vampiro revives Puma from the dead, it'll be interesting to see where they go from there but its an interesting character plot for Puma to be associated with Vampiro and go darker than he has before. Hopefully they don't butcher this like they did with Pentagon/Vampiros partnership because Vampiro using Puma to get revenge on Pentagon could be great stuff.

Season 3 started off a mixed bag but it's gotten better as it's gone on.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really hope LU last beyond season 3. TV wrestling needs it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I really hope LU last beyond season 3. TV wrestling needs it.
    Season 4 isn't set to be filmed until 2018

Thank you Surrender!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The last I heard, Season 4 was being filmed late this summer

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with you completely. Her matches aren't credible at all, imo and its sort of insulting to women's wrestling when she can toss around men that outweigh her by 100 lbs. while women in other companies need to stick to wrestling only women. Also, it has to be uncomfortable to watch for people who have grown up in a house with domestic violence. It makes me uncomfortable and did I mention that no matter how professional the men are in their matches, its still dangerous for a women to take bumps that were designed for a man.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Season 4 isn't set to be filmed until 2018
    That's great news! the little engine that could is still going.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picking back up with this show with 2.6.

After that whole kidnapping situation that involved Marty The mutha fuckin' Moth, Sexay Stizzar, The mack daddy Mack and Martys sister, The Sexy One is understandably a bit traumatised, and this was played up in her match against another sexy star, Cobra Moon. Mack came out during the match, but even under the watchful eye of big Willie, Sexy Star still crumbled at the mere sight of The Moth, who distracted her from the stands long enough for Moon to catch her in her finisher, a reverse dragon sleeper thingie, FTW by tapthefuckout.

Thoughts on the match: I can't remember too many galVSgal matches in LU, so in that sense, I thought it was quite special, although it was definitely a pedestrian affair that existed to further the kidnapping storyline. No complaints from me when it comes to either woman here. I'm a big fan of both. Cobra Moon works that serpentine gimmick wonderfully; everything she does fits to a tee.

"Hi, I'm Famous B, and my commercials are fucking awesome."

Whoever it was that thought of having LU wrestlers in their own commercials promoting their brand had their thinking cap on when they came up with it. Such a simple concept, but the execution of these things are spot on.

Side note: Even though she wasn't as good as her predecessor, and successor, Dario Cueto, I thought Catrina did a fine job as the big boss backstage. She would be, like, the worst boss to have ever. What with the whole teleporting thing and all. Another dynamic of her being the boss lady is her just completely disregarding Mil. He thought he was the true daddy of The Temple but she flipped that script from jump and became the bottom line baws in their relationship. What a woman :lol:

Side note 2: Mil Muertes should never speak English. Ever. He sounds like Mexico's answer to Sloth from The Goonies.

So, I know I'm way behind here, but have to give LU props for the Rey Mysterio and Dragon Aztecca training skits. Thought it was a good way to introduce them into the show. Makes me feel old to see Rey in the grizzled vet role, though.

There is two big matches to come. Pentagon vs Prince Puma, and a ladder match between Fenix and King Cuerno.... LU sure know how to make each episode an unmissable special event.

Puma vs Penta match is a stark reminder of the fact that LU, if nothing else, is one hell of a visual experience. Pumas highly athletic offence coupled with just how fucking cool Pentagon is, means I could watch these two wrestle all day. Mil Muertes interferes and pulverizes both Luchadores to make the match a no contest. He may be getting undermined by Catrina, but the Lucha Underground Champion is still the don around these parts.

Thoughts on the match: As great as the action was while it lasted this, like the opening match, was just a vehicle to further a storyline. Which is cool, because it was quality stuff either way.

The Ladder Match main event for the Gift of the Gods Championship on the other hand was a full on balls to the wall showcase of talent between two guys who have great chemistry. Both the defending champ, Cuerno, and the challenger, Fenix, aren't afaid of laying it all out there in these sort of gimmick matches, and this was no exception. Fenix regained the GOTG championship and put himself back in the LU championship picture.

Thoughts on the match: Amazing third match of a fantastic trilogy. Well structured, athletic, innovative, violent... Pretty much everything Ladder Matches should be. Big props to both guys. The three matches they put on between the first episode of season two and this one were everything I love about LU. In true LU fashion, the ladder Fenix climbed to snatch the belt was as dirty and grubby as it would be on a building site. Vintage Lucha!

All in all, this was a memorable episode that told good stories featuring interesting characters and had great action from start to finish. Sounds like my kinda show.

Show starts with The Mack and Sexy Star backstage in the locker room. Mack wants Sexy to accompany him to the ring for his lucha against Marty, to, like, I dunno, face her fears or something. It's all a bit too much like tough love here. There's also the fact that he didn't exactly help her last week. Making her face her kidnapper probably ain't the best idea.

Marty Martinez is in full on sleazy moth mode as Melissa Santos makes her introductions, and, fairly tallented actress, Melissa sells the awkwardness perfectly. The faithful actually start chanting "no means no". Sheesh. Moth n Mack put on a hard hitting and athletic performance until.... wait for it..... waaaaaaiiit fooooor it.... MARIPOSA DEBUTS. We all saw it coming, but it was a very cool moment. Moth actually gets the win here. Mari' knocks out a terrified looking Sexy Star after the match. See, Willie, I knew it wasn't a good idea to bring Star out there. The Mack is failing as a knight in shining armour here.

TOTM: Marty is so much better than some give him credit for. His character work is top notch, and his ring work is more than acceptable IMO. This kidnapping storyline suits him well, which ain't exactly a compliment. Dude plays the creep well, though. Him and The Mack are well matched, and although Mack is clearly better, Marty kept pace and displayed some surprising high flying moves.

Jack Evans, PJ Black and Drago had a kung fu fight somewhere backstage and all three of them had nunchuckas. God, that was amazing. Aerostar returned from the past in pure unadulterated cheesey LU fashion to end this Luchariffic segment. Only in LU, folks. Fuck, I love this show.

Moving on...

The scheduled match between Johnny Mundo and They Call Him Cage never took place. Instead, Mundos new main squeeze, Taya, challenged The Machine on her mans behalf. Yeah, bad move, Taya. You may be "The Perfect Woman", and have been trained by Lance Storm, but Cage doesn't discriminate. Taya does get a fair amount of impresive looking offence after a low blow, but Cage butalised the poor woman with power moves and even suplexed her over the ropes through a table. Probably way later than Taya had hoped for, Mundo does a run in, and this no DQ match becomes a two on one mugging until Cage stops selling. Mundo smashes him over the head with a glass bottle, and again, but this time in Cages fucking face (!). Cage still refuses to sell. Mundo legs it and once again Taya is left alone with The Machine. Ulp! Cage hits his sick looking finisher, Weapon X and this chapter in the story between Cage and Mundo is in the book and clearly belongs to Cage.

Don't forget, dail 423-GET-FAME to get famous.

Ivellise manages to bag her team of misfits a Trios title match next week. Anģelico and Son of Havoc are pissed to learn there is a win or walk stipulation attatched. Pressures on.

The main event was made after Mil attacked both Puma and Penta during their match last week. 3-way match for the LU Championship. Despite being in there with both the coolest and best, Muertes retained after hitting both of his opponents with his finisher at the same time in a show of pure dominance.

Thoughts: Quite simply one of the best matches in LU's history up until this point. As far as 3-way matches go, it doesn't get much better

Show ends with GOTG Champion challenging LU Champion, Mil, for next week. Jeebus. Mil can't catch five minutes peace around here. Tough at the top.

This episode is dedicated to the memory of Eiji "Hayabusa" Ezaki. Very classy. RIP Hayabusa.

Show opens with a classic Fenix and Catrina segment that played on their previous history. The Queen of Teleportation snogs the face off of The Man of a Thousand Lives before basically telling him after Mil defeats him she pans on murdering him and taking his life force because it's magic and is the only thing that can bring her back to life. Because despite being able to physically touch people, and be seen by the human eye, she's actually apparently dead. A thousand yes chants.... cha.. lu... cha, lucha, lucha lu....

First match is the for the Trios Championship. As stated above, if Ivellise, Son of Havoc and Anģelico can't win their titles back from the Disciples of Death they must leave the Temple forever. I gotta say, while I can appreciate their place in the Catrina takeover storyline, I'm not a huge fan of the indisinguishable DoD.Thankfully, the Tecnicos comfortably win their belts back. Hopefully that is that as far as DoD and the Trios titles go. New champs. Yay.

To hype up next weeks Aztek Warfare II, Mundo walks in on Puma while he is hitting the pads and tells him he won't make the same mistakes he did in AW1. Segment ends with Mundo leaving an angry, growling Prince Puma standing on his own. In a fit of rage, Puma punches the punching bag so hard his fist bursts through to the other side. Love these segments.

Next seg. Rey pours his protege, Dragon Aztecca Jr, a tequila and tells him his training is complete before handing him an invitation to next weeks Aztek Warfare. Dragon asks his sensei if he also has an invitation.. Of course he has. I can't wait to see show now. Love these segments!

OK, next match. Everybodies favourite Luchadore, Chavo Guerrero Jr. Vs Texano Jr. in a Bullrope match. Hope this is an end to their storyline. It's a bit boring and tame compared to other LU wackiness. Chavito is accompanied by Mr Cisqo and, undercover cop, Cortez Castro. Oh, wait, no he's not... Ref banned them from ringside. Let the violence commence. Somewhere, Stan Hansen is smiling. Texano wins a basic brawl to the surpise of no one.

TOTM: Thank fuck that's over. Texano deserves better.

Backstage somewhere, Luchadore of the Week, and Lucha Underground Champion, Mil Muertes, apparently murders his Disciples of Death before his match against Fenix. Take that Mathanza. Can't say I'm heartbroken.

In Luchatastic fashion we cut to a next segment which takes place 375 miles away from Boyles Heights. We see Dario and his bodyguard, Black Lotus standing outside of an abandoned warehouse that has The Temple spray painted on the outside wall. From inside we can hear Dario's brother, Mathanza; he is apparently upset that Mil tried to steal his killing people gimmick, and is murdering folk left, right and centre. Once the screams die down Dario actually opens the door and we finally get to see what Mathanza looks like. Scary comes to mind. A roid raging covered in blood meth head Mil Muertes springs to mind. This dude looks sick. Like, straight out of a real horror movie kinda sick. Monsters covered in human blood generally do. Watch out Aztek Warfare II, Mathanza is coming to eat your face off. Anticipation rising.

Okay, to finish up this post we got the main event. Fenix cashes in his MIT- I mean, GOTG Championship and challenges the bossman for the LU Championship. Don't forget, Catrina literally wants Fenix dead. All the marbles on the line here. Clearly. Biggest match of the season so far. Until next week, obvs.

These two had an amazing Grave Concequences Match last season. This match was just as good without the casket gimmick. It was basically Mil trying to kill Fenix. The brutality and intensity was off the charts, with both men having their masks ripped and bleeding everywhere. This match was actually even better than last weeks 3-way.

WHOOP WHOOP!

New champ!

Next week, Aztek Warfare II, where Catrina informs the new champ he will be defending his newly won championship against 19 other luchadores, AND, he must enter first. Oh well, so much for that long title reign.

That's enough for a minute. I feel everything I just watched will be eclipsed and forgotten if I don't take 5. Suffice to say, episodes 2.1 to 2.8 supplied LU fans with a shit load of great matches. Back soonish with thoughts on #AztekWarfareII

Time for a break.
    Last edited by KashDinero; 03-16-2017 at 03:08 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can officially stream Lucha Underground on Netflix now. Seasons one and two.
    Alexa Bliss - Toxic
    Finn Balor is the future of the WWE
    Siera, Hotel, India, Echo, Lima, Delta - Forever
    Cena fan for LIFE
    Did you know, without lifts, Ambrose is taller than Reigns by an inch?

banner by, Dj LatinoHeat

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    you can officially stream Lucha Underground on Netflix now. Seasons one and two.
    HOORAY!!!

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Now residing in the 256 BestInThe205's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    Exactly what I'm doing right now.
    What's up PW users? Check out my band, if you like!
    www.facebook.com/throneofedenband

vCash
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BestInThe205 View Post
    Exactly what I'm doing right now.
    Same here, between yesterday and today, I already rewatched the first six episodes of Lucha Underground.

I actually forgot just how much I enjoyed Johnny Mundo/Prince Puma from the first episode. The triple threat match between Drago, Fenix, and Pentagon Jr., I believe from episode three (maybe episode four) was another great match. It was nice to go back and rewatch those matches, as they were two of the best matches from the first dozen or so episodes of Lucha Underground.

Banner Credit: Surrender

Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015
    Currently Watching: Blue Exorcist S2, Dragon Ball Super, Tiger Mask W
    The Nerdery's Best Poster (2013 Co-Winner, 2014 & 2015 Winner)

vCash
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not if you live in the UK you can't. Fucking cunts

Thread Information