Thread: NBA 2016-2017 Regular Season Discussion

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NBA 2016-2017 Regular Season Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dukezilla
    It's only a matter of time before teams like Golden State, Cleveland, and Oklahoma City lose their relevance, as big changes have come to the Lakers organization. They got rid of Kupchak and Jim Buss, and in their place comes Magic Johnson as President of Basketball Operations and it is expected that an individual by the name of Rob Pelinka will step in as the team's new General Manager. It turns out that Rob has a lot of experience dealing with the Lakers. He was Kobe's agent for the majority of his 20-year career, communicated often with Jeanie Buss, and is said to know basketball well and has a really good eye for talent.

All these moves are good but I expect this is largely due to them not being able to sign DeMarcus Cousins.
    I believe it had more to do w/ the signings of Mozgov and Deng.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Dat Guy, you brought up a point earlier of what if the Cavs don't saunter into the Finals again? I think you might be onto somethin. Personally, I think the Wizards have a damn good chance of surprising Cleveland and making it to the Finals..The way they beat Golden State in the last seconds(not to mention their impressive home record under Brooks thusfar), plus with ex OKC coach Scott Brooks reinvigorating them, as long as they themselves don't get injured(from what I"ve seen their bench is pretty shitty) I think they'd be a damn good match against Golden State. Especially considering Durant got injured..Speaking of KD, I think that if he returns near the end of the Playoffs at the earliest he could still (probably) make an impact..Despite their shitty luck with injuries, I think the Warriors still have a helluva chance of winning another NBA Championship.

Also, Durant's injury makes me think of an interview I read a few months ago about the Warriors doing team yoga..I think that Kerr(him and Iguodala supposedly do yoga regularly) should have the team do yoga constantly, not only during the regular season but also during the Playoffs/Finals..Reason being-besides helping to lessen the game-to-game nagging pains they all play through anyway, it'll help players like Zaza(for all we know his shoulder's probably hurting him but in a minor way) along with KD when he's ready to rehab his knee...With the way Iggy's been playing this season, especially his renewed agility and dunking, I think the entire team really needs to implement constant yoga into their exercise routine.

2011 NCAA Poster Of Year Sweetness_Bolt's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kawhi has won the Spurs their last 3 games since the break. He's got 11 30 Pt games since January. Averaging 26 PPG & 6 RPG, almost shooting 50-40-90, while being the best defensive player in the NBA. Spurs are going to win around 65 games this year with only 1 all star. Screw the Harden, Westbrook & James talk, the true MVP this year is Kawhi. Duncan retired this past offseason & the Spurs are better this year, Kawhi having career year is why. What he's doing dominating on both ends as much as he is, more impressive then what anyone else does

In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend
    Your Worst Inhibitions They Will PSYCH You Out In The End

vCash
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bro, you're bugging.

Nothing compares or ever compared to what Russell Westbrook has been doing this season. There's no way that he's not the MVP. Without him, this team is Brooklyn Nets bad. Cut it out.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westbrook is great, but Thunder won't even win 50 games. How big of an MVP can he really be? Triple doubles don't make you an MVP. Plus Westbrook is last in Win Shares among the 4 main contenders. Leonard is the best defensively of the group, doesn't have another all star & has made many big shots to win games at the end for the Spurs. It should be his

Edit: Kawhi does it again. 20 sec left v Rockets & down by 1, Kawhi with 3 & then on the other end blocks Harden to seal 2 point win. Definitely best player in NBA. The 8th Straight win for Spurs, 4 Straight since All Star Break, all either GW shot by Kawhi or won in OT
    Last edited by Sweetness_Bolt; 03-07-2017 at 03:41 AM.

In Between The Lines, There's A Lot Of Obscurity. I'm Not Inclined To Resign To Maturity
    If It's All Right, Then You're All Wrong. Why Bounce Around To The Same Damn Song
    You Rather Run When You Can't Crawl. I Know That You Know That I'm Not Telling The Truth
    I Know That You Know, They Just Don't Have Any Proof. Embrace The Deception, Learn How To Bend

vCash
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again, you're ignoring the word VALUABLE in MVP. The Thunder would be the worst team in the Western Conference if not for Westbrook. The Spurs would still find a way to be in the top 2-3 of the West without Kawhi. Not taking anything away from him, but his extraordinary is not even close to the extraordinary that Westbrook has done this season. It's Westbrook, Harden, Kawhi, Lebron and Isiah. That's the top 5. Nobody is close to 1-2.

Also, Andrew Bogut broke his tibia last night. Not even a minute into his first game as a Cav. Ouch. I still stand by the fact that someone else is representing the Eastern Conference this season, not named the Cavs.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    Also, Andrew Bogut broke his tibia last night. Not even a minute into his first game as a Cav. Ouch. I still stand by the fact that someone else is representing the Eastern Conference this season, not named the Cavs.
    If the Raptors figure their shit out and make the Finals, I'll be so happy. Pretty sure they're going to get eliminated by the Wizards again though.

The Canadian Death Tour
    A very Canadian wrestling story by RT.
    Catch up now and stay tuned for "The Commonwealth Championship," coming soon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dirk over kg for doing it on the same team and getting a ring in his prime. Kg was starting to decline by the time he got to Boston and those years in bkn and the last in minny don't help his numbers, but dirk maintained and didnt fall off his game as quick we only saw a real decline a couple seasons ago. Don't want to be a prisoner of the moment but that 30k is big.

vCash
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the Kawhi/Westbrook talk. My man, Russ, got 58 points the other night and followed it up with another triple double in his next game. If you think anybody deserves MVP over him this season, then drop the fucking spoon already! Crack is bad for you!

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

58 Pts on 39 shots. It honestly wasn't a strong game from him, poor efficiency & they lost that game

He's shooting 42%, 33% from 3 on 6.8 attempts (Which is dumb), 5.4 Turnovers Per Game, poor defense & they'll be an easy out in the First Round winning about 44 games or so. Value really means nothing if your team still isn't any good. Russ was honestly playing better the past 2 seasons then this season, but he has a bigger role this season. His stats look better then they are because he has the biggest usage rate in NBA history right now. Not that much value he's adding especially when compared to Kawhi or Lebron. Those 2 are putting up 26 PPG on strong efficient shooting, both playing great D & on Top 3 NBA teams. I got Kawhi 1 & Lebron 2
    Last edited by Sweetness_Bolt; 03-11-2017 at 05:16 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lamarcus Aldridge is out indefinitely with a heart condition. Ouch. Hopefully he's okay, though. Health is more important.

For this much anticipated GS/SA game, it will have a lot of people sitting out for rest/injuries. These are the guys who are NOT playing tonight.

SA- Lamarcus Aldridge. Kawhi "Not the MVP" Leonard. Tony Parker.
    GSW- Steph Curry. Klay Thompson. Andre Iguodala. Draymond Green. Kevin Durant.

I think the Spurs still find a way to win. I just wonder who the Spurs are going to feed most of Aldridges minutes to. Gasol? Lee? Dedmon? Any idea, Sweetness? Fantasy purpose question.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spurs have a deeper roster then the Warriors do, so they can mix & match lineups better. Interesting component where Kawhi is by a mile they're best player & they don't have multiple all stars like Golden St (Why Kawhi is the MVP), but can play 10 Quality guys. part of what makes Kawhi so great, there's other quality players on the roster, but he does more for the team even with them there. The difference between Kawhi & everyone else on SA is still massive. There's not as many big shot makers in Spurs as there in on the Cavs or Rockets & he's pushed the Spurs to a way stronger season then Russ has with OKC

It'd be pretty stupid to lose to a team not playing their 5 best players even when our 1st, 2nd & 4th best are out. Gasol, Lee & Dedmon is a strong front court even without Aldridge, I'm liking the current usage of Gasol in the bench I hope that continues. He's been scoring double digits quite frequently in that role

Sucks this very anticipated game has been limited by so many notable players out, but I can see it. Neither side really wants to do to much right now v the other knowing they're the only realistic competition in the West. Trying to save some stuff for May. I would really like the 1 Seed so I'm enjoying this slump Golden St is in since Durant got hurt. 1 game back in Loss column so win tonight would tie the 2 teams there with 1 more game @ SA left

vCash
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Spurs are only a 1/2 game back of the 1 seed. The West is really becoming a 2 team race, or so the media tells us. However, Houston is still the third best team in the NBA and would be a huge match up against the 2 seed. I'm going to play with the Western Conference playoff scenarios a little.

1- Warriors or Spurs
    2- Spurs or Warriors
    3- Rockets (pretty much a lock)
    4- Jazz (pretty much a lock)
    5- Clippers (pretty much a lock)
    6- Thunder or Grizzlies
    7- Grizzlies or Thunder
    8- Nuggets (2 game lead/16 to go)

9- Blazers (2 games back/18 to go)
    10- Mavs (2 1/2 games back/17 to go)
    11- Wolves (3 1/2 games back/17 to go)
    12- Pelicans (5 games back/16 to go)

I'm not going to count the Kings, because they're pretty much done. So let's look at some interesting things.

The Jazz are winning their division. Maybe Sweetness has a point about Russ not being MVP. Yes, he's going to average a triple double, but they can't even win the division. Still, I think he deserves it and he will win it because the rest of his team is garbage. The Clippers are more then likely going to beat the Jazz in the first round anyways. This is a big time for Doc Rivers to try and lead his team to the promise land. The Clippers need to make a run or this dream 3 team will just be a team that was never good enough to make it. I consider them a serious threat in this postseason. It will be a nice story though for the Jazz who just missed out on the 8 seed last season to have a nice postseason run. I want to see what Hayward can do in the postseason. He did lead Butler to the National Championship game where he BARELY missed a GW half court buzzer beater that would've been the greatest college basketball moment ever. So I don't want to be too dismissive of them right away.

However, whoever wins the Jazz/Clippers series is more then likely going to face the 1 seed. The biggest question going into the final month of the season for the West is who captures the 1 seed and which team survives the gauntlet to take the 8 seed beating. The 1 seed, in my opinion, is going to go to the Spurs this year. I also think that's best for them. I think they match up way better against any of the possible 8 seeds then they do against the Grizzlies* (if OKC holds them off). Who can ever forget the year Memphis stunned the NBA and eliminated the top seed Spurs in the first round? I don't think they would this season, but it's definitely a possibility.

The situation gets much more interesting IF both the Warriors and Thunder fall from their current place in the standings. If the Warriors fall to the 2 seed and the Thunder fall to the 7 seed, we get what we all want. Westbrook vs the Warriors in the first round. Now THAT would be fucking awesome. That's also what I am rooting for. Let the Grizz move up to the 6 seed and face the more then likely 3 seed of the Rockets (who may be the biggest wildcard) and give us OKC/GS. Yes, I'm aware that the Warriors will more then likely win the series, but to see those 2 go at it in a best of 7 series would be epic. I would also comfortably say that Westbrook will probably get a quadruple double somehow.

The 8 seed is currently led by Denver and with the emergence of Nikola Jokic, it will most likely stay that way. However, who really wants to see Denver in the postseason? It's a guaranteed sweep in my eyes. I would love to see Dirk lead his Mavs from the bottom to the 8 seed. Wouldn't that be special? I don't know who's story is more unbelievable, the Mavs or the Heat. Both looked like top 3 picks in the NBA draft and are both in position to try and capture a playoff berth. There's also the most underrated player in the NBA, Damian Lilliard and the Blazers. He loves to put on a show in the playoffs, ask Houston. There's also the potential of some rising teams like the badass Timberwolves and new and not so improved, Pelicans. The Pelicans are 2-6 since acquiring Cousins and benched him for majority of the 4th quarter and all of OT in last nights win. So anything is still possible for the 8 seed, but I'm just hoping it's Anyone But Denver. Maybe it's because I'm salty that Gallinari and Chandler may make the playoffs with the same team they were traded to while Melo and the Knicks continue to suck ass. Maybe I just find them bleh.

My semi-early predictions have the playoffs looking like this.

1- Spurs vs 8- Nuggets (SAS)
    4- Jazz vs 5- Clippers (LAC)
    3- Rockets vs 6- Grizzlies (HOU)
    2- Warriors vs 7- Thunder (GS)

I wouldn't be surprised if the WCF is Houston and Lob City, while San Antonio and Golden State go home. I do have more faith in San Antonio making the Finals instead of Golden State, though. IF the WCF is Houston/LAC, I would pick Houston to make it to the Finals. James Harden is a bad mofo.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually don't get into the Rockets until playoff time but since they've been one of the best teams in the NBA all year I've loosely followed them(keep an eye out for their highlights on Sportscenter and read about the results sometimes) and watched one or two games up to this point. I'm pumped for some playoff basketball already. I'm watching Houston vs Cleveland right now, this is good. Houston came back from a pretty good deficit and has it tied up with 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. Damn good game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rockets take down Lebron's Cavs, damn good basketball game right there, felt like a playoff game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn....Really solid defense that Golden State exerted on the Bucks for a good 3 quarters last night..After being down over 10 points at times in the 1st quarter because they were playing shitty, soon as Iggy and McGee came in the defense picked up and never looked back...McGee got some nice dunks/skyhooks and Iggy once again is stepping up and giving consistent defense and offense whenever he's on the floor...Barnes grabbed a good amount of rebounds and was solid with 2 3s from the corner as well.

Speaking of Iggy, I saw that after McCaw once again hesitated on taking a shot he could've made and instead passed the ball, it looked like Iggy was telling him to be more aggressive and shoot. McCaw's defense is his main thing and is very much improving, though he's gotta attack the rim, along with shoot open 3s more often instead of passing up nice opportunities. At the same time, it's great that McCaw's starting this often and getting a nice amount of minutes in his rookie year.

Not to mention Curry's getting his rhythm back now that he's hitting 3s from the Warriors logo on the court again...Also, Green was pretty fun to watch, seeing as how he's a major reason Giannis was held to 9 points during the game which ended as a blowout.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIP Jerry Krause.

vCash
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The East has been popping. Derozan has been the beast for Toronto ever since Lowry went down. Derozan hit the game winner against Chicago today in OT, which had Ibaka and Lopez both ejected for throwing punches at each other.

The Celtics and Wizards had a dope game and a not 100% Boston team won. Bro, can you believe the Celtics are probably going to have the #1 overall pick coming into this draft? Crazy!

I stand by this comment;

THE CAVS WILL NOT MAKE THE FINALS THIS YEAR!

vCash
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God damn Devin Booker just dropped 70 points on a really good Celtics squad

I can't say I blame the Suns, I would let that man chuck the ball for as long as he wants.

Currently Playing:
    Wipeout Omega Collection(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He had some help with the Suns going intentional fouls to save time and the Celts putting Isiah Thomas on him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spurs Beat Cavs By 29. Celtics Take 1/2 Game Lead Over Cavs For 1st In East. The Cavs Are Struggling Heavily As Of Late & Defense Very Poor. Spurs Also 1 1/2 Back Of Warriors Now For 1 Seed With Golden St @ Houston Tuesday & @ San Antonio Wednesday, If They Lose Both Spurs Would Take Back 1 Seed With 8 Games Left. Spurs Now 9-1 This Season v GS, HOU, BOS & CLE

I Do Think The 1 Seeds Matter Especially In The East. 1st, In East, Only Need To Win W/ Out Home Court Once Instead Of Twice Since West Winner Will Have HCA In NBA Finals. 2nd, Teams With The 1st Seed Avoid Playing BOTH 2nd & 3rd Seeds So Celtics Only Play Cavs OR Wizards Instead Of Both & Spurs Woukd Play Warriors OR Rockets Instead Of Both. Avoiding That I Think Is Huge So Spurs, Warriors, Celtics & Cavs All Should Fight For The 1 Seed

vCash
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@mikec @Raven be ready for Lance Stephenson is coming home!

Anyways, in all seriousness be interesting if Lance back to playing well like he was before he left the Pacers, could be somewhat a little boost for them for the rest of this season trying to fight to made the playoffs which is they might needed.

Kevin Durant is getting close to return, and I will say this the Warriors do need Kevin Durant healthy come playoff times if they want to have a shot to win the championship, or for that matter come out of the West. They are not the same team as previous year when they are much deeper so they going to need Durant ready to go, and good news is he might be closer to a return.

The east should be a tight race in the number seed with Celtics takes the number one seed right now while the Cavs who not playing well since the new year drop the second seed, and the Raptors are not far behind. 6, 7, and 8 seem to be up for grabs in the East.

IMO I think Westbrook, James Harden, or Kawhi deserve to be the MVP, and I wouldn't complain either one of them wins the award. Personally, I probably pick Westbrook not because he average triple double which is impressive but he also carries that team on his back literary all season long, and OKC are the sixth seed in the Western Conference right now which is no Kevin Durant. However, you can say the same about James Harden who carrying his team on his back this season as well, and I wouldn't complain if Morey win the executive of the year which he did a great job building talent that fit around James Harden's game aka bringing shooters to surround him something the Bulls front office should learn from, and this is coming from who hates Morey. Wouldn't complain if the Jazz front office(Which I forgot his name.) wins the executive of the year which deserve to be mention, same goes to Synder should be a consider of the coach of the year with that young team well most likely return to the post-season but of course things could falls apart but we see.

It is going to be a tight race for the playoffs spots.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goddamn what a time it's been for the Warriors...They've recently went to OKC and beat the Thunder again, not to mention beating Houston twice in a week and beating San Antonio finally..The Spurs' defenders weren't quick enough to keep up with the Warriors' defenders in that game, especially Parker. Helluva game against the Spurs, though...Warriors had a great comeback and took advantage of the Spurs' mistakes.Their defense eventually shut down Westbrook, Leonard and most definitely Harden(all potential MVP candidates, ironically enough) both times around.

Last night at least the Rockets/Warriors game was more competitive but in the end Harden and his team can't get past the lockdown defense of Golden State..Now I'll easily admit this-D'Antoni deserves to win the Coach of the Year award for improving the Rockets ten-fold offensively..He basically used the system he used in Phoenix but extrapolated it by times 20 with the Rockets...As offensively lethal as the Rockets are, they're still very weak defensively and are prone to getting outhustled. Not to mention Harden's bullshit he pulls every game of drawing phantom fouls and the refs endlessly falling for it. Come to think of it, the last time the Rockets were a defensive-minded team at all(and the last time they won a championship) was in the mid 90s when The Dream and The Jet were still on the Rockets championship team..
    @Pduh I'm glad Durant's returning soon but I wouldn't mind if Golden State didn't bring him back until say, Game 3 of the 1st round of the Playoffs..Don't rush him back like they did with Curry last year..Let him take his time in rehab so that way he'll have an easier time reintegrating himself into the Warriors' system.

Sidenote-It's interesting to see the East not be predictable for the 1st time in many years...Boston has the #1 seed currently, while the Wizards are on the biggest upswing since Jordan joined them for his retirement run, not to mention the dark horse Heat team....With the Cavs in a slump both offensively and defensively, we'll see how they do from say, the #2 spot this time around if they don't reclaim the #1 spot.

vCash
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pduh View Post
    @mikec @Raven be ready for Lance Stephenson is coming home!
    Oh trust me, I am excited for Born Ready's return. During the press conference, you can tell he is truly humbled for this opportunity. His career did not turn out like he was expected it would, and that's the reason for it. I think things would have been different for Lance if he stayed. He will definitely get them a boost coming off the bench if he's able to recapture his play from the Timberwolves this season. I also see this as Indiana trying to give Paul George what he wants in order to try to get him a new contract with the team. I still think he's gone, but they're going to try and started with one of his close friends.

vCash
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You probably know more than me, but does Paul even like Lance? I know most of that team didn't, and there was the story last season of the poll in the locker room to bring him in and nobody argued for him.

Paul's gone, I'm just hoping Larry understands that there's no good in waiting for it to happen.

Thread Information