Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PW Headbangers Ball 1: Flight of the Taarakian

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default PW Headbangers Ball 1: Flight of the Taarakian

And so it begins. A new annual tradition starts here, starting on November 1st I'm going to review a heavy metal album every day until November 30th, that's 30 albums in 30 days. We've posted threads on Slayer, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest over the past couple of months, this is inspired by those threads. I wanted to do something a little different for the next month. The poll will return sometime in the future. For this I want to get a little more in depth with each album and I wanted to get a little more variety going instead of just covering dozens of albums from the same band. Now, saddle up on your beast and fucking ride...

So I figured I would start the thread a couple of weeks early. This is open for requests so if there's anything you would like to be covered in the first edition of the PW Headbangers Ball just drop a few albums right here RIGHT NOW, heavy metal, hard rock, old, new, progressive, extreme, foreign, any and all genres. Not every request will be covered but I will try my best cover a broad spectrum of heavy shit. This party starts on November 1st, until then lest crack open some beers, drop some acid, take a few qualuudes, put on our zebra stripped clothes and have ourselves a little parking lot party!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: PW Headbangers Ball 1: Flight of the Taarakian

So, you're listening to the albums?

Here's my suggestions...everyone I know...LOL

Except Kyuss...I don't know Josh Homme.

Scissorfight - Mantrapping For Sport and Profit

Kilgore - A Search For Reason

Prong - Cleansing

Kyuss - Blues For The Red Sun

As far as who is better, Iron Maiden is more consistent in my book, but it's super tight.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    So, you're listening to the albums?.
    Yep, going to post reviews for each, a little more in depth compared to the other band threads. I'm surprised you didn't request any rush @CK . what would be a good rush album to review? @Djm dream theater?

Get those requests in! Who are some brand new bands I should check out?

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My chance to make Shinobi listen to some power metal! Hell yeah! I'm going to have to restrain myself here. But I know Shinobi can put those albums away like nobody else, listening to huge discographies in like a week, so maybe I won't hold back.

I'll start you off with a serving of Dragonforce's Sonic Firestorm, then a portion of Gloryhammer's Tales from the Kingdom of Fife Continue with Falconer's Falconer. If that music does not prove manly enough for your tastes, then a dollop of Heidevolk's Batavi should pump you right up, followed by a helping of Cathedral's The Carnival Bizarre. Finally, a bit of Canadian thrash metal as dessert: Annihilator's Alice In Hell. I don't know how you listen to albums, but I've presented the Youtube editions below for your consumption.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

To answer the poll, I much prefer Iron Maiden because they are far more consistent, as CK said. Plus I like their general style more. Priest started to lose me in the 80s.

vCash
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just from my own personal metal catalogue, here are some recommendations for you, Shinobi.

Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos. I think this is an album that will be to your liking. Let me know how you feel about it, and I'll give you a DT album to go forward with.
    Opeth - Still Life. In my opinion, their best and most complete album that is all encompassing of who they are.
    TesseracT - Altered State. All of the stigma about djent in metal aside, this is just great.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some suggestions fom me. Maby some weird stuff here, but atleast i didn't suggest old norwegian black metal or some crazy stuff from japan.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Yep, going to post reviews for each, a little more in depth compared to the other band threads. I'm surprised you didn't request any rush @CK . what would be a good rush album to review? @Djm dream theater?

Get those requests in! Who are some brand new bands I should check out?
    RUSH has such a long career, that it seems hard for a die hard fan, which I am not, I respect the hell out of them and love the shit out of them, but I don't just accept everything they put out and think it's amazing.

The two albums to start with are:

Moving Pictures...there's just not a bad song on the record. Even the second half is stronger than most bands. The album starts Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, YYZ, Limelight...that's the first side, for those of us old enough to have this on vinyl.

2112...is their breakthrough album. Most bands usually fall into the 1st album or 3rd album band, RUSH is a 4th album band (although, it's the 3rd album with Peart). There are great things about their first 3 albums, but this is the one where people really took notice. 2112 the song is a 20 minute long concept piece, which is very prog-rock.

As they progressed from 2112, their music got more and more challenging. When they were on Stephen Colbert's old show on Comedy Central, he asked them "if they ever wrote something so difficult, they couldn't even play it." It was a joke, but they couldn't play La Villa Strangiato the entire way through when recording it, they had to break it up into three parts. They got away from the massively long songs (Cygnus I & II, Xanadu and La Villa Strangiato) and into...their next phase. Permanent Waves is the album where they came out with songs that were a little shorter and more accessible, basically songs that were more radio friendly. Then they embrace technology and they do this a little too much, starting with Power Windows, but really getting out of hand with Hold Your Fire, Presto and Roll The Bones, but that's not saying those albums are bad, just waaay too much going on and it warped their sound.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stoked as hell about some of these requests, can't wait to start this bad boy now. Thanks everybody. Keep'em coming folks, only you can prevent this thing from becoming a Nu Metal jackoff session, fucking Limp Bizkit Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Water!!
    @Kilgore I know you've suggested the Melvins to me once or twice in the past, what would be a good album to check out?

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Priest vs Maiden, I've always been a Priest man but it's only here over the past couple of weeks that I really got into the Maiden catalog. I would say Priest were better songwriters but Maiden wrote and produced better albums. Priest is definitely more my style with the attitude and subject matter/lyrics but with that said I don't think they ever recorded anything better than Piece of Mind or Powerslave, those are such damn masterpieces. Piece of Mind is like the perfect heavy metal album to me.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    I know you've suggested the Melvins to me once or twice in the past, what would be a good album to check out?
    Spoiler

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    So, you're listening to the albums?

Here's my suggestions...everyone I know...LOL

Except Kyuss...I don't know Josh Homme.

Scissorfight - Mantrapping For Sport and Profit

Kilgore - A Search For Reason

Prong - Cleansing

Kyuss - Blues For The Red Sun

As far as who is better, Iron Maiden is more consistent in my book, but it's super tight.
    So that's where Kilgore gets his name from. Very interesting. This 90s industrial metal/nu-metal/dirge metal/whatever you want to call it is not for me, though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    So that's where Kilgore gets his name from. Very interesting. This 90s industrial metal/nu-metal/dirge metal/whatever you want to call it is not for me, though.
    No. Like the band, I got it from Vonnegut.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Request line is officially closed, I've got the lineup set and my first 2 reviews in the can. 30 albums in 30 days, I figured I better give myself a head start. Can't wait to get this going. Hard and heavy music from 6 different decades, 6 different countries, USA, Canada, Brazil, England, Netherlands, and Japan. Doom Metal, Stoner Metal, Progressive Rock/Metal, Nu Metal, Rap Metal, Death Metal, Black Metal, Folk Metal, Power Metal, Thrash, Glam, Metalcore, even some Grunge and a few classic/traditional Hard Rock/Heavy Metal gems. This is how many albums will be covered by decade:

60's-1
    70's-1
    80's-7
    90's-11
    00's-5
    10's-5
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 10-20-2016 at 02:59 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my first week of albums done and in the can, ready to go. I've got something special to open up the ceremonies then the first week will be covering some requests. Surprised at how good some of these requests have been. Thoroughly enjoyed each of these so far, my faith in heavy music has been restored. Just 8 days to go before we kick out the fucking jams.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just 6 days left till we take flight. I'm thinking about starting off early with an appropriate album on Halloween night. Figured I'd share a pretty awesome video I found, a news clip about DEATH METAL!!

Spoiler

Another one I found was a profile on Roadrunner Records from 1993. Roadrunner is such an interesting story, they started out in the late 80's just releasing niche death metal albums, over the years they became more and more successful until they were bought out a few times by some corporate conglomerates. Hard to believe the same label that put Diecide out there also gave the world Nickelback.

Spoiler

Spoiler alert, out of the 30 reviews for next month, 8 of them are albums released by Roadrunner.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+++Day I+++

Spoiler
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 11-02-2016 at 06:45 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love Blue Lamp by Stevie Nicks, plus the scene associated with it has some "major boobage". I agree about the rest though, a pretty inconsistent soundtrack.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those Cheap Trick songs are pretty bad. One of the best power pop bands ever, trying to sound like a hard rock band...ugh.

Don Felder never mentions any of his work with Heavy Metal in his biography that I can recall.

Sammy Hagar at the time was trying to find his solo "voice." His bread and butter was his song writing, "I've Done Everything For You" was a big hit, but it was a hit for Rick Springfield. I believe this was intended to try and kick start his solo efforts. Like Shin said, Standing Hampton comes out a year later with "There's Only One Way To Rock." The other thing about the song, "Heavy Metal" is it was co-written by Jim Peterik, the writer for all the Survivor hits.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Icon View Post
    Love Blue Lamp by Stevie Nicks, plus the scene associated with it has some "major boobage". I agree about the rest though, a pretty inconsistent soundtrack.
    My god, the whole movie is like a homage to breasts, every five minutes some cartoon titties are on screen. It's hilarious to me how immature the movie is, it only adds to the comedic value.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+++Day II+++

Spoiler
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 11-03-2016 at 05:57 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always been hit or miss with the Melvins. I've seen them, met them, have most of their albums and still wouldn't call myself a fan exactly. I get into some songs and Houdini is a good example of them and great place to start. I guess I have to be in the right mood to listen to the drone, sludge of their style. The album before this one, Lysol would be my go to album. As iconic and recognizable as King Buzzo is, because well...look at him...Dale Crover is the person that really makes this band go. He played drums AND bass on Houdini...he's always been their not-so secret weapon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I would have seen your Dream Theater and Rush requests earlier @ShinobiMusashi. Maybe next month you can do Train Of Thought by Dream Theater, I find that to be the better attempt at going full balls to the wall metal than Systematic Chaos. It has much better production and the lyrics are more what Dream Theater traditionally writes. With Systematic Chaos they go a little to far into the fantasy realm for some.

@CK pretty much has Rush covered.

Never got into the Melvins so no real opinion on this album.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melvins' Houdini is more of a collection of songs than an album, but boy are those songs good. I chose Houdini as a starter for you because they sort of do it all there. It's like the Melvins putting their spin on all things heavy. Hooch is basically a metal song of its time, that has the added benefit of one of the greatest drummers ever adding dynamics not often heard in metal. Honey Bucket and Copache are thrash songs, that's all there is to it. Set Me Straight, an eighties metal throwback vibe, that I believe was actually written in the eighties. Night Goat is probably the most grungy, and possibly the first stab at something like A History of Bad Men, which they'd do (a little better) a decade plus later. Lizzy and Teet, have verses that are as nineties alternative as the Melvins would get. Hag Me and Joan of Arc, just sludgy doom metal, and (along with Kyuss) the beginning of the Stoner Rock revival of the late nineties. Punk influence obviously heard throughout everything, and finally, got to mention Going Blind, a fucking genuine Kiss cover. That's kind of everything.

Because of Nirvana, the "Seattle sound" tends to make people think of punk before metal, but grunge was fairly equal parts punk and metal in spirit, and just as Nirvana skewed a little to the punk side, Melvins always skewed towards the metal side. Houdini shows this the most, in a time where everybody was trying to write four chord Nirvana songs, Melvins were still basing songs on what was essentially metal riffs. The reason why I love the Melvins is Buzz is as interested in crafting a song as he is with being heavy. He writes the heaviest riffs imaginable, with the filthiest, sludgiest tones, but he's also a fucking Kiss fan, that wants a pop melody hidden somewhere in there too. This was why Nirvana was awesome too. If everything is abrasive, what's interesting about that? Two things clashing is much more so.

Melvins are still going strong, writing some of their best songs in the last ten years. It's a band underappreciated, where if you found yourself making a Top 20 song list, or something, you'd be surprised to find out how well it stacks up against other bands. They've just put out so much music, that it's a little bit overload to find those 20 songs.

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    Because of Nirvana, the "Seattle sound" tends to make people think of punk before metal, but grunge was fairly equal parts punk and metal in spirit, and just as Nirvana skewed a little to the punk side, Melvins always skewed towards the metal side. Houdini shows this the most, in a time where everybody was trying to write four chord Nirvana songs, Melvins were still basing songs on what was essentially metal riffs. The reason why I love the Melvins is Buzz is as interested in crafting a song as he is with being heavy. He writes the heaviest riffs imaginable, with the filthiest, sludgiest tones, but he's also a fucking Kiss fan, that wants a pop melody hidden somewhere in there too. This was why Nirvana was awesome too. If everything is abrasive, what's interesting about that? Two things clashing is much more so.
    Agreed, grunge wasn't really a genre, it was more a periodic term on the alternative rock scene in Seattle (Or Washington if you like). If you listen to bands like Alice in chains or let's say sound garden they sound nothing like Pearl Jam or Screaming Trees (vica versa). Some where very punk oriented like Nirvana or Mudhoney, but most where just alternative rock bands. AIC was the band I was mostly into from the grunge scene, I just loved Laynes raw voice and Jerrys songwriting.

vCash
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+++Day III+++

Spoiler
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 11-03-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Thread Information