Thread: PW Headbangers Ball 1: Flight of the Taarakian

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: PW Headbangers Ball 1: Flight of the Taarakian

Quote Originally Posted by Razor_Blade View Post
    I for one really like Great Southern Trendkill, while i'll agree that it's not on the same level as the three predecessor, I'll still take it over reinventing the steel and the "glam" metal albums.

While Phil was in many ways disconnected with his bandmembers during this period, I think he delivered some of his most personal work here. While Pantera is known for some dark writing on the previous albums (“This love”,”Im broken” etc.) none comes close to the brooding feel of this album.

The thing that intrigues me most with Trendkill is the contrasts in the material, making it a unqiue listening experience (Pantera managed to do this with all their 90s albums). It varies between tracks like the the melodic beautiful Floods to paralyzing violent growl infested suicide note pt2. The message of the album is wrapped into super heavy and uncompromising rhythms, seasoned with angry, emotional "face crushing" lyricism. All this takes place in perfect harmony with legendary guitar riffs that are presented by Dimebag Darrel himself.
    I must add that Floods is easily in my top 3 Pantera tracks, but I love the title track, “drag the waters” and “live trough me”, I can't fathom why you guys don't like them. Maby not the greatest Pantera tracks but still awesome songs in my opinion. All I can say is that after Trendkills 53 minutes of aggressive southern metal, my neck is in whiplash mode, and my right foot is 200+ pounds heavier after stomping along with the rhythm... Damn, I miss this band.
    Well said man. Hell yeah. I still really like the album. I originally gave it 5 Stars but dropped it for fuck I don't know why, all of my ratings are off the wall really. I'd put it over their indy albums for sure but out of their major label albums it is my least favorite. With that said I still think it blows Load out of the water, still has aged better than a lot of stuff from that era, it's still a great album just for Dime's guitars alone, even the songs that I don't like overall are cool just for Dime's solos. I think maybe Phil envisioned Pantera going deeper into grindcore, death metal, and hardcore punk while Vinnie and Dime always wanted to be big time arena rockers getting played on the radio, they just kind of followed Phil's lead since it worked so well with Far Beyond Driven. I get the impression with this listening that they kind of compromised with GSTK a little and they didn't really hit that sweet spot that they did before.

For all of the dark tones with Phil's lyrics and vocals, I kind of prefer the stronger than all super macho man Phil circa 93-94, he was such a bad ass. He kind of lost that with GSTK. I still love 10's, Suicide Note part 1 and 2, and Floods a lot. Listening to suicide note part 1 makes me kind of wish Pantera did a little more experimental stuff, like an all acoustic Pantera album, that would have been pretty damn sweet, it just wouldn't have been Pantera to do something like that though. The timing was just never right for something like that. Maybe if they would have stuck together and Dime was still alive we would be getting stuff like that today.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+++Day VIII+++

Spoiler
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 12-29-2016 at 12:21 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Babymetal was a pejorative term for some modern metal sound, not an actual band.

Like, "Fuck so-and-so, that shit is babymetal."

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Japan in a nutshell.. Its so goddamn "gimmicky", I think most of the japanese "idol" groups are put toghether by talent agencies, they are like actors portraying a role (Kinda like western boy bands.).
    Pretty much every J/pop/rock/metal tune is like this: A standard beat amped up to the max with singers crazy enthusiastic.. really random lyrics mixed up with horrible English. You have to forget about the lyrics if you're into this. I like to a degree some of the the 80s early 90s metal acts from japan like EZO, Aion and Loudness.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    Wipers hold up really well. Sage is super underrated as a songwriter.
    I like the music and was just reading up on Sage a little. He wanted to just record albums and not tour or perform live. Which I get, but not if you ever wanted to make any money.

Japan is indeed a very quirky, gimmicky place, but a lot of bands stick around, because they have an entire career overseas. Night Ranger...gigantic...still...in Japan. The members may do other things most of the time, but every couple of years they get together tour the Far East...make a shitload of money, release an album (I believe they at least 2, maybe 3 live albums from Japan). Marty Friedman is so big in Japan, he moved there in the mid 00's. Cheap Trick broke there...Live at Budokan is one of the biggest live albums ever. I've never been, it's definitely on my bucket list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for missing yesterday fellas. So busy with work and I'm also working on an old dump house we bought for my grandma that has to be completely redone, I was up working on the tile in the bathroom until about 9 last night. I'm about to post the last album review that I have in the can, with that I think the "album per day" format is over for this. Not sure when I'll get the time to sit down and properly listen to another album or write anything. But I will get through the next 21 albums eventually. Next time I'll be way better prepared. Thanks for everybody reading and commenting, I really appreciate it.

+++Day IX+++

Spoiler
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 12-29-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I never made the connection to Type O Negative when listening to Heidevolk, because I never really listen to them, but it makes sense. I love Heidevolk's vocals, they are very unique especially for the genre. They actually have two vocalists who sing like that, and they often harmonize together. It's incredible to witness live. They've actually been around for a while, Batavi being their fourth album, but I never got into their previous albums. Batavi has significantly better production, it's lot heavier and fuller-sounding than their previous albums, and the vocals and songwriting sound a lot more mature. You place a lot of emphasis on the vocals, but some of the melodies and riffs on Batavi are amazing. The second track, De Toekomst Lonkt is the best example of this. Every riff and melody is god-tier. My favourite Heidevolk song.

Don't worry about listening and writing a review of an album every single day, there's no need to rush. I certainly couldn't do that Take as much time as you like.

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, since Shin's getting laid...this is over??? LOL

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately yes, this is on ice for a while. Usually around this time of year work for me dies out but this year I've gotten more shit going than I've had all year so far. I've made more money in the last month than I've made in like 3 years, working daylight to dark to keep it going. On top of that I'm working a few hours every night on a house for my grandma trying to get her moved in before thanksgiving and a guy I'm working with has a girlfriend that is writing a romance novel series about a MMA fighter, she sent me a bunch of questions about the sport and I've been writing her a book. What little bit of time I've spent on my laptop the last week I was able to get a little work done on my fan fiction finale show. I get into that zone with the fan fic shit and it's hard for me to get out of it until I'm done working on whatever I'm working on. Once shit starts to calm down next month though I totally plan on getting back into this thread. Another part of this being iced is just being burned out on heavy music, I've reviewed probably 50 albums over the past 2-3 months, going through Sabbath, Slayer, Priest, Maiden catalogs on top of the 9 reviews in this thread, I'm about heavy metal'd out honestly. Been listening to a lot of Marley lately, they don't want to see us unite, all they want us to do is keep on fussin' and fighting, they don't want to see us live together, all they want us to do is keep on killing one another.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+++Day X+++

Artist: Rush
    Label: Mercury
    Release Date: April 1st 1976
    Producer: Rush, Terry Brown

I apologize for the long delay. Just got swamped with shit there right as I started this, plus I kinda burned myself out on the heavy stuff. Now it's time to saddle up on our beast and resume our Taarakian flight, taking it to the Great White North with what is generally perceived as a landmark progressive rock album from Rush. I got to be honest, this album is largely responsible for holding this project up. I tried so many times to listen to this album and write a review but just got stuck looking for something to say. This is not my style, anytime Rush comes on the radio I'm usually reaching for the radio dial to change it, I hate some of their songs that get played, Tom Sawyer, that one song singing about the freedom of music, just not my style I guess, I really don't like the singer. Kinda reminds me of that one band from the Nickelodeon cartoon from the 90's Doug, there was a band called "The Beets" on that show that Rush always reminded me of for some reason.

I don't want to hate on a band that so many people hold in such high regards, so I did some research to try to better understand why this band is so loved. What I found out was that this band, this album 2112 in particular, is kind of the starting point for progressive metal. This album kind of took the progressive rock ideas of Yes and King Crimson and put it into a package that inspired a wave of Progressive Metal bands that followed, going down the line from Dream Theater and Tool of the 90's to Mastadon today. Progressive Metal as a genre is something I've never really gotten into, still not sure I really understand what exactly it is. The main attribute that I see recurring in people describing Prog Metal is "unorthodox time signatures" and "atmospheric passages", and that the genre challenges the conventional wisdom of songwriting. With that description I'm kinda thinking that pretty much all heavy metal applies to that theory, Mudvayne for example is a band that I loved back in the day they were every bit as progressive as any other band I've ever heard(at least the first 2 albums) but they get lumped into the Nu Metal coal heap.

I've always really liked long heavy metal songs that build and grow and develop and change and go into different places. Examples being the instrumental Metallica songs from their first 4 albums, like Orion from Master of Puppetts, songs that don't play by the verse/chorus/verse/chorus rules of traditional songs. From what I understand, that is a defining element of progressive metal/rock. From what I understand so much of that kind of started with this 2112 album from Rush. The very first song on the album is like 20 minutes long, cut up into like 7 different parts. I like the theory of this idea, and so much of the music is great but it doesn't feel like one song, it stops and starts in between the 7 parts without really flowing together. With that said though this is a very cool 20 minute selection of music. I still really don't like the singing but the bass, drums, and guitars are excellent.

I've never really thought of Rush as a heavy metal band per se, but listening to it in the context of 1976 it is indeed pretty damn heavy, considering what else was out there. It's interesting to consider the direction this album goes when you consider what other heavy rock bands were doing in 1976, most of them abandoned the deep heaviness of the late 60's/early 70's and were going for a more mainstream arena rock sound similar to Aerosmith, trying to get a hit ballad on the radio in songs like Beth by Kiss. Rush was pushing the envelope with this album when you think about what everybody else was doing.

I didn't care for the Bangkok song but I REALLY liked "The Twilight Zone". Such a cool song with some cool lyrics and vocals. The song Tears is a slower type of song that really sounds good. The final track "Something for Nothing" was also a pretty cool track. Overall this album wasn't bad but it wasn't something that I'm really crazy about. The first 20 minutes was the highlight of the album but it was kind of all over the place. After that the rest of the songs were really short under 4 minutes each, with The Twighlight Zone probably being my favorite track. 3 & 3/4 Stars

vCash
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally watched the Jarmusch documentary on The Stooges, which was incredible, by the way. Towards the end, they start mentioning the influence on the punk scene the band had, which is often cited, but hearing "I Got A Right" again, a Raw Power outtake, that song is borderline thrash, or hardcore, at the very least. The Stooges had already moved past punk, which hadn't been invented yet, and moved on to early 80's hardcore/thrash. In 1972. What an incredible band. We should all pray to God Iggy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This week marks the 35th anniversary of IMO, the greatest album of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast."

Tomorrow night, I'm gonna listen to it from start-to-finish. And on Monday, Ozzy's Boneyard on SiriusXM is gonna do special stuff on the album, with stories about the songs.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Thread Information