Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NHL 2016-17 Season

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default NHL 2016-17 Season

First off, another congratulations to the Pittsburgh Penguins for winning the Stanley Cup. Phil Kessel is a Stanley Cup champion thank you very much. A new season has begun tonight. There are many storylines to come into play for this year. Can the Pens repeat this season? How will McDavid do injury free? How will the Subban/Weber trade work out? The youth movement in Toronto and Arizona? How will the Penguins deal with their goalie situation? Which teams will be on the rise and which will decline? Well turn on a game and fight. It's hockey season!

Currently watching Toronto/Ottawa, and Auston Matthews is the real fucking deal. He completely undressed Karlsson with a beautiful goal. Two goals in the first period for him. Marner looks good as well.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: NHL 2016-17 Season

I don't know much about Auston Matthews. I look forward to seeing what he's all about.

Props to surrender for the great banner.

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally found a stream () - a hat trick on debut is pretty phenomenal! Just the fourth man to ever do it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping he gets a fourth tonight. No player has ever scored four on their debut.

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's done it! Bah gawd!

Four goals. Forget McJesus.

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the frequency of guys in the draft instantly becoming superstars in the league Raven? Is it like the NFL where you have "pro-style" offences that generate good players for the league - and other project players who take longer to adjust to the different style of play? I imagine it's probably different because guys play for pro teams in Europe/Canada rather than coming straight out of college - aka fairly apparent who is going to be good?

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.....My jaw still isn't off the floor.

I'm not going to anoint him as the second coming like a few writers have, it's one night....but holy shit snacks!

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 goals in you're 1st game that's insane!

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't enough to win though - and he was a little bit at fault defensively on Ottawa's winning goal. That was a good game!

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auston Matthews scores four goals, and the Leafs still lose. Just goes to show you how bad the rest of the team is.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    Auston Matthews scores four goals, and the Leafs still lose. Just goes to show you how bad the rest of the team is.
    He's already keeping up with Leafs traditions. No matter what you do, expect to lose

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My everything.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The kid has some real talent and you'd think with all these high picks, Toronto eventually gets good, but it's one game and it's still Toronto.

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice touch by the Panthers tonight:

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PK scored on his 1st shot what a debut!

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So when Matthews scores all the goals, Toronto loses. When he scores no goals, Toronto wins.

Cool. Hope he never scores again.

vCash
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    What's the frequency of guys in the draft instantly becoming superstars in the league Raven? Is it like the NFL where you have "pro-style" offences that generate good players for the league - and other project players who take longer to adjust to the different style of play? I imagine it's probably different because guys play for pro teams in Europe/Canada rather than coming straight out of college - aka fairly apparent who is going to be good?
    Honestly there's a lot to it. Potential top tier players are often known at a young age usually in the teenage years. We've known for years that Matthews was going to be a special player. His debut was unexpected, but showed his potential. The difference between the NHL and a league like the NFL is the players are usually drafted from age 18+ which is a younger age. Usually if you're drafted at least in the top five, there's a fairly good shot that you have a player that will have a spot the next season. Other players will go back to college, play in a junior league, or even overseas. There is adjustment for players European draftees as there are different size rinks. Once they are drafted, the team will mold them into the player that is needed depending on their skill. Even if someone has loads of talent, the organization matters as well.

vCash
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched NYR vs Detroit today - that was a terrible loss for New York who really dominated and should have been multiple goals ahead in the first period. Jimmy Howard had a great game in the net for Detroit but the Rangers had two 5 on 3 power plays and couldn't capitalise, and then Lundqvist made a bit of a stupid mistake to concede the Red Wings' winner.

Chris Kreider is pretty exciting though, he's got a lot of speed. There was one great moment where he absolutely blew past one of the Detroit defenders with a deke and he had no alternative but to grab him and give away a penalty to stop him going one on one on net.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FUCKING LEAFS!!! So typical of them. Blew a four goal lead on the Jets, and lost.

Expect this a whole lot, Leaf Nation. A WHOLE... LOT!

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FUCKING LEAFS!!! So typical of them. Blew a four goal lead on the Jets, and lost.

Wow, I remember being at the pub today seeing a 4-0 lead for Toronto and feeling mildly impressed. TO really needs some defence.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nazzer View Post
    Wow, I remember being at the pub today seeing a 4-0 lead for Toronto and feeling mildly impressed. TO really needs some defence.
    Yep. It's a known issue going in to this season. Beyond Gardiner and Rielly the Leafs really don't have anything on the blue line worth writing home about (Zaitsev is ok but he's new. He'll come around). And it was Rielly that blew the game tonight.

And Andersen is an alright goalie but not proven and doesn't seem to be a guy that you can expect to bail out the defence consistently.

It's a tough loss to swallow but the team is still in rebuild mode. Auston Matthews is a rookie. They have a lot of tools in place but still need work, still need additions and are still a very young team. #Patience

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St.Patrik is on fire. He has started better than i expected.

vCash
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Serious inquiry to all hockey fans; I just read an article on ESPN. So I'll forward the question to you guys. With 51 goals to go, do you guys think Jaromir Jagr will overtake Gordie Howe at the top of the career goal list? And if he does, what will that mean for his legacy? Where does he rank now as one of the best and where would he land if he did overtake that top spot?

I don't follow hockey much, but I know who Jagr is and I remember him in his prime. Thought I would start up a conversation here for the hockey loyalists.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this way of watching games. I know it's stupid but in the regular season if a team is trailing by 3 goals or more I start doing other things and lost interest. Next morning I see the score and kick myself.

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    Serious inquiry to all hockey fans; I just read an article on ESPN. So I'll forward the question to you guys. With 51 goals to go, do you guys think Jaromir Jagr will overtake Gordie Howe at the top of the career goal list? And if he does, what will that mean for his legacy? Where does he rank now as one of the best and where would he land if he did overtake that top spot?

I don't follow hockey much, but I know who Jagr is and I remember him in his prime. Thought I would start up a conversation here for the hockey loyalists.
    It won't actually be the top spot, as Wayne Gretzky holds the top spot with 894 goals, with Howe second on the all-time list. One thing that is worth mentioning as well is that he's only a handful of points behind Mark Messier for second on the all time points list as well. He'll easily be remembered as one of the greatest offensive players of all-time, but it'll be hard to say what some views will be of him.

He is a two time Stanley Cup champion, but that was so early in his career, and while he was a major part of those championship Penguins teams, he was never considered as a leader. And throughout his career, I can't really recall him being looked at as any type of leader until his current time in Florida. Because of that, despite his accomplishments, he may not be looked at as favorably by some as say a Steve Yzerman or a Joe Sakic who, while also great offensive players in their own right, received a lot of praise for leading their teams as well.
    “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”
    Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948)

Spoiler

Thread Information