Thread: Champions League Chat

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Champions League Chat

Leicester fans would have to be pretty happy with that CL draw, definitely a chance to get out of the group stages.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 300-ish

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Footy Chat: August

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    Leicester fans would have to be pretty happy with that CL draw, definitely a chance to get out of the group stages.
    They were always likely to get a fairly generous group coming out of Pot A, but this is as good as they could have hoped for.

at Celtic and Barca being drawn together again.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah if I'm a Leicester fan I'm breathing a sigh of relief at that draw. They should come out of that group.

Speaking of should, Arsenal got a pretty good draw too. Paris and Basel are worrying but PSG don't have Zlatan anymore, which helps everyone else out a little.

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll give my thoughts on both Celtic and Basel's draw, being a fan of both. Hopefully I'll be able to ease or increase your concerns RT.

I wasn't too happy with the draw Celtic got tbh. I'm delighted we are back in the Champions League as I truly believe that a club this size, with its fanbase, the atmosphere on UCL nights that no other can match (thanks for the compliment, Messi) deserve to be. I believe we add something to this competition, even if it isn't on the playing field.

I wanted a group that we at least had a chance in, much like our last two campaigns. We had a small chance of qualifying and a decent chance of Europa League. This time - we have neither and Barcelona again. I won't tire of watching us play Barca, I just wanted something a bit different. Madrid and/or Dortmund.

Manchester City doesn't excite me too much. I was happy with Gladbach, fantastic atmosphere at their place and a good team too and some players I enjoy. I do think, despite the fact we can't get out of that group, it'll provide six good games, especially the three at Celtic Park.

---

As for Basel, I was content with the group. It could have been better, could have been worse. PSG and Arsenal are two teams we haven't had before. Ludogorets was one I'd liked to have avoided as we've played them in the UEL and UCL in the last three years and I do think they're better now.

I do think Basel have a chance of progression. Maybe naive but this team is stronger for me than the one that knocked Liverpool out in 2013. I haven't been impressed with Arsenal or PSG so far this season. Arsenal need some signings although they always tend to land on their feet in the UCL and PSG need a striker as I don't think Cavani will cut it as a replacement for Ibrahimovic. At St. Jakob-Park, I feel like we can get something from them and get at least four from Ludogorets if we play at our best.

The record against English sides is also very good. I definitely think Basel can be a banana skin if PSG/Arsenal are not at their best.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me about 45 minutes ago: "Oh hey, the Arsenal game started. Better check in."
    Me about 44 minutes ago: "Welp."

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good result. We're fortunate to have such a decent back up keeper in Ospina.

He's got to start Giroud now though surely.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't know Rylan played for Arsenal

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a good result for Arsenal away from home - but wowee at some of the chances that Cavani missed.

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Champions League Chat

It baffles me that PSG failed to replace Ibrahimovic. Cavani is good but he was much better with Ibra taking most of the burden and I see PSG struggling this season compared to the last few.

From a personal point of view, a very bad first night of this season's UCL. I said before the game, I wasn't too bothered about the Celtic result. I knew we'd get beat and would probably be hammered and given the group we are in, we just need to enjoy these nights but to lose 7-0 still hurts. Barcelona are a magnificent side and will hammer sides a lot better than us but it is still never nice to concede so many goals.

As for Basel, a terrible start. It really would've been a loss had Ludogorets keeper not made a mistake. There was nothing up front tonight and no creativity and I think it has much to do with the lack of competition in the domestic league. Need to win the home games, especially against the fourth seed.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling MVP View Post
    It baffles me that PSG failed to replace Ibrahimovic. Cavani is good but he was much better with Ibra taking most of the burden and I see PSG struggling this season compared to the last few.
    Well they signed Jese who's already arking up over not getting to start having left Real because of not getting enough opportunities. Cavani must be so frustrating because his movement is absolutely sensational, some of the runs he makes are top class but there's not much point getting into great positions if all you over do is fall over or kick the ball straight at the keeper.

Good start for Leicester - nice to see Mahrez up and about for the first time this season.

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I don't think Jese is the answer either to be honest. Think they could've got much better with the money they can spend.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mesut Ozil's decided that he can score as well as assist - look out everyone!

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    Mesut Ozil's decided that he can score as well as assist - look out everyone!
    That final goal yesterday...

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

City, Arsenal and Leicester all through to the Round of 16 - Spurs to play CSKA to decide who drops to the Europa League. Might be best for them if they lose that match, Pochettino seems to really be struggling with rotation and finding solutions to tactical problems at the moment, a far cry from the steady consistency they had last campaign.

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wembley was a disaster for Spurs. I think they'd have qualified if their games were at WHL especially considering they picked up three points in Russia and one in Germany.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wrestling MVP View Post
    Wembley was a disaster for Spurs. I think they'd have qualified if their games were at WHL especially considering they picked up three points in Russia and one in Germany.
    Good point, I didn't realise that. Similar situation to West Ham moving to the Olympic Stadium perhaps.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't pay much attention to the group stage (and by the sounds of it I didn't miss much) but I'm really looking forward to the Arsenal-Bayern and Leicester-Sevilla ties. The latter in particular looks like two teams whose contrasting styles should make for fascinating viewing.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arsenal getting trounced off Munich, yet again in the knockout rounds. You have to think how much longer AW can hold on for now, surely his last season in charge now.

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some thoughts on the UCL:

PSG beating Barcelona wasn't too much of a surprise. Barca have shown vulnerabilities away from home this season and were well beaten by Man City in the groups, they also have shown those same weaknesses at home this season (their defeat vs. Alaves), so it wasn't unthinkable that a good PSG side in the form they're in, at home, with the passionate crowd behind them, could win the match.

The margin of victory though, was surprising. PSG were brilliant, Barcelona were totally outplayed. The worst I've seen Barcelona play in a very long time and the worst I've ever seen Messi play. That being said, I don't buy into all this crisis talk and it being the end of a cycle. Barca were trounced by Bayern a few years ago and won the competition a couple of years later. They just need a change of manager as Luis Enrique is not a good fit and maybe a few signings. I still think they'll win the match next week at home. The tie though is probably gone.

Benfica beating Dortmund was a great result for them. I expect Dortmund to turn it around as they wasted a host of chances.

Watching the Bayern/Arsenal game. The gulf in class is just so, so huge. Not just between Arsenal and Bayern but English teams and the rest of Europe in general. There is a very real chance that Monaco will eliminate Man City and to be quite honest, I don't see an English team winning or even coming close to winning the UCL for many years. Right now, for me, the only team that look capable of at least reaching the QF/SFs are Chelsea provided they strengthen further in the summer and keep Conte.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last night was the first time ever that I've seen what the #WengerOut crowd is seeing. I've always stuck up for the man and will continue to support him so long as he's leading Arsenal, but last night was just a travesty. Unlike anything I've seen.

Yeah, I know..Arsenal squeak through the round robin, then lose to a big European club in the knockout round. Finish 4th in the league, rinse repeat. This is nothing new, except for the way the players carried themselves last night.

You lose to a big club like Bayern or Barcelona or Real Madrid, fine. That's expected. But when you lose 5-1 and your best player on the field is your fucking keeper, what the hell is going on? They played like the game plan was "make it up as you go, I have no idea."

Ox and Sanchez were the only players that showed up. There's multiple videos of Ox and/or Sanchez being the only guys pressing when Bayern had the ball, and even one of Ox flipping out on his team because nobody else was supporting him.

We see a video of Mustafi screaming at Bellerin (I think?) while letting a Bayern player walk in on goal and score, then he continues to scream at his team.

Ozil may as well have not even played, and he's been like that most of this season. Something is wrong with him, whether it be an injury we don't know about or he's just done with the club and doesn't want to say anything. My guess is he thought he could turn the club around and help them win some hardware, and the FA Cup wins were a nice start, but he's seeing that he isn't going to win the league or the CL with Arsenal and wants out.

There's Arsenal losing to a good team and then there's Arsenal just not trying.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you see Ozil for their first goal? He looked as if he wanted to be anywhere else but on that pitch, pathetic I have to say. I saw an image online that only ONE of the Arsenal players went over to applaud the travelling support.

Sutton will be a difficult game, I'd imagine. IF this is AW's last season at Arsenal, he's done fine to survive as long as he has. However, who could replace the man? Luis Enrique tops my list with Mancini a close second.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah according to people that were at the game only Ox and Bellerin applauded the away fans. That really upsets me too. "Sorry you all just watched us get F'd in the B out here, not gonna give you a little clap because I have to get down the tunnel."

I don't know. Arsene Wenger isn't even a bad manager and despite last night and Arsenal's lack of trophies over the past decade, he still isn't. He won the league his first full year in, he's won it twice since then, and Arsenal hasn't finished outside the top 4 in what, 15 years? Those are fucking insane stats.

The complacency of the players is what bothers me, and everyone always says that's a reflection of the manager. Maybe it isn't in this case, we'll never really know, but after finishing 2nd last year things were looking pretty good for a title run this year, and look where they are. You can only say "Same old shit," for so long, but at the same time, you look like an ass to the thousands of other supporters who would kill to be in Arsenal's position every year. I don't know what to think, really.

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the thing that may frustrate your fans more, is that last season more than any would've been ideal for Wenger to push for the title. Champions League has always eluded your lot, even that faithful final against Barca. I still blame Lehmann for the loss for you guys.

I believe that both Sanchez' and Ozil's heads have been turned by the media and linking them with moves abroad, if I were the Arsenal gaffa I'd have sold them the second their heads were turned.

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be very surprised if Sanchez is still an Arsenal player next season. Ozil too probably.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a comeback for Barca over PSG. Heading to today's game, they were trailing 4-1 on aggregate. And after 87 minutes, were trailing by two. Then Neymar scores twice in three minutes to tie the game. And in the final extra minute of five, they got the winner from a substitute.

Final Game Score: Barcalona 5-1 Paris Saint Germain
    Final Aggregate Score: Barcalona 6-5 Paris Saint Germain

Greatest comeback in Champions League history.
    Last edited by CM Punk'd; 03-08-2017 at 06:27 PM.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

Thread Information