Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black F#*@ing Sabbath

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Black F#*@ing Sabbath

Time for some heavy fucking metal. Black fucking Sabbath, more metal than your ma's kitchen fucking kettle. I'm talking about Ozzy Osbourne, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Bill Ward, some of the pioneers of heavy music. I want to see your top 10 favorite Sabbath songs. I want to see you rank the Sabbath albums you've heard from favorite to least favorite. Favorite album covers? Ever seen them live? What did you think of the Dio years?

I'm going to check out the old albums again for the first time in a long, long time. Starting with the debut self titled album Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Masters of Reality, Vol. 4, Sabotage, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Technical Ecstasy, Never Say Die, Heaven & Hell, and Mob Rules. I may be forgetting about one or two, I'll make sure as I go. Feel free to review any albums along the way or just post your thoughts on the albums or anything you fucking want. Ready, go..

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Black F#*@ing Sabbath

So yeah, be me at 17, seeing one of my all times favorite bands, Black Sabbath, reunited after I assumed I would never get to seem them play. Be me, seeing really cute girl I was checking out for the last two sets come over and get my attention. Be me when she asked if I wanted to smoke meth with her while fairies wear boots was playing.

Sabbath has some weird fucking fans.

Behind Rammstein and Orbital, best live show I seen was the first reunion tour in the 2000's.
    Last edited by Engel; 09-07-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    2. Children of the Grave
    3. Snowblind
    4.Iron Man
    5.The Wizard
    6.Black Sabbath
    7.Faeries Wear Boots
    8.Symptom of The Universe
    9.Electric Funeral
    10.Paranoid.

Hand of Doom, The Time Machine, Heaven and Hell, and Planet Caravan barely missed the list. Planet Caravan only because I actually like Pantera's cover better.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to put this right here. He may be the biggest Black Sabbath fan on the planet.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just right off the top of my head, like the Slayer deal I'm sure this list will probably change after I listen to the records again, it's been a while.

1. Black Sabbath
    2. Under the Sun
    3. Children of the Grave
    4. Wheels of Confusion
    5. Snowblind
    6. Changes
    7. Sabbra Cadabra
    8. Planet Caravan
    9. Dirty Women
    10. Fairies Wear Boots

I seen Sabbath in San Antonio at Ozzfest 2004, it was pretty surreal. They sounded fantastic.

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Incredible band. Not many with six albums as good as their first six. Paranoid and Master of Reality are the two that are genuinely top tier. Iommi is the master of riffs. You can tell he was in blues bands and there is just a fantastic groove to so much of their stuff. People can take all the overly technical, complex stuff from the sub-genres of metal, I'll take the simplistic brilliance. Never really checked out the Dio stuff, probably will one day.

Overlooked Sabbath tune (EDIT: Shin knows). Feel the sleaze.

Last edited by Strobe; 09-07-2016 at 08:13 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread is already jammin' with @Strobe pulling Dirty Women, they don't fucking mess around. I love that song. I like the version they did on the live album. My unpopular opinion is that Tony Iommi is the best guitar player to come out of England in the 60's.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whether it's Ozzy, or Dio at the helm, Sabbath has always produced some good metal.

Here's my personal Top 10.

1. War Pigs
    2. Symptom of the Universe
    3. Sabbra Cadabra
    4. Sweet Leaf
    5. Black Sabbath
    6. Heaven and Hell
    7. Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath
    8. Iron Man
    9. Paranoid
    10. Am I Going Insane

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Snowblind
    2. A National Acrobat
    3. Children of the Grave
    4. Wheels of Confusion
    5. Symptom of the Universe
    6. War Pigs
    7. Black Sabbath
    8. NIB
    9. Sweet Leaf
    10. Into the Void

Honorable Mention:

Evil Woman (Don't You Play Your Games With Me): It took me a couple of decades to find out this was a cover. That might explain the chorus hook, which is a little more pop than Sabbath normally went. I'm a sucker for a good hook.

Otherwise, my list is pretty chalk. Within those songs, you have the first heavy metal song (Evil Woman), first Doom Metal Song (Black Sabbath), and first thrash song (Symptom of the Universe). I won't say Sabbath is better (although I like them more), but Sabbath's influence is felt more today than Led Zeppelin's.

vCash
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to note I saw Mac Sabbath last week. Wonderfully bizarre.
    I am your God

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I love the bare bones sound of rock and metal music in the 70s is perfect, Black Sabbath being an early example. One guitar, not overly distorted. Clearly audible bass. I had the pleasure of seeing them three years ago in London. Amazing set. The music is timeless and so are the musicians. Going to catch them on their farewell tour when they hit the UK early next year.

My favourite Sabbath songs are constantly changing, basically any song from the first three albums could go there, but I'll attempt a list:
    1. Black Sabbath
    2. Hand of Doom
    3. Iron Man
    4. Into the Void
    5. Children of the Grave
    6. Evil Woman (didn't know this was a cover until Kilgore mentioned it, but their first album is musically all over the place so the poppy chorus didn't seem particularly odd)
    7. Sweet Leaf
    8. Behind the Wall of Sleep
    9. War Pigs
    10. N.I.B.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    Otherwise, my list is pretty chalk. Within those songs, you have the first heavy metal song (Evil Woman), first Doom Metal Song (Black Sabbath), and first thrash song (Symptom of the Universe). I won't say Sabbath is better (although I like them more), but Sabbath's influence is felt more today than Led Zeppelin's.
    Don't get me wrong here...Sabbath is essential to heavy metal/hard rock, but I wouldn't give them first thrash song by any means. I've seen where Stone Cold Crazy (1974) is often referred to as the first thrash song, but I always look to Budgie's Crash Course In Brain Surgery (also 1974) as the first true thrash song. But, Budgie is extremely overlooked and obscure, so popularity will often win out.

Top 10 Sabbath Songs...I may have to split it into eras, they are so different and good.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually not really into Black Sabbath but I'll give it a go. Tony Iommi is in my top 10 guitarists of all time though, massive influence. Plus it helps that I have Sirius XM with Ozzy's Boneyard so I'm at least familiar with the deep cuts. Great mention with Dirty Women, just missed my cut though.

1. Iron Man
    2. War Pigs
    3. N.I.B
    4. Black Sabbath
    5. Paranoid
    6. Hand Of Doom
    7. Into The Void
    8. Symptom Of The Universe
    9. A National Acrobat
    10. Hole In The Sky

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone loves Black Sabbath...Everyone.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listened to Black Sabbath the debut self titled album today. Absolutely love the way this album opens with the sound of falling rain and the creepy ass bell tolling. Right from the very start, the title track of the self titled album, the tone was set for what this band was. I touched on this with some of my Slayer reviews in the other thread, I felt like Slayer took what Black Sabbath did to the next level, they were the audio version of a horror movie. I've never gotten into heavy drugs before but I've heard that when you take mind altering drugs like LSD and Acid and whatever else gives you hallucinations, they make you see sounds and hear colors, I feel like Black Sabbath at their best is that, you hear classic horror as if you are tripping on drugs and hearing colors. Make any sense? I didn't think so.

But this was released in 1970, February 1970 according to Wikipedia. Just think about what music was like in 1970, 46 years ago. You had a new generation of bands from England that was coming out of the tail end of the 1960's that were pushing rock music to new, heavier, more metallic, harder, faster, edgier direction than the generation before them. I've always considered this generation of bands that emerged in the late 60's/early 70's as the bedrock heavy metal bands, Black Sabbth, Led Zeppelin, and Deep Purple. At the time that Black Sabbath released their debut album Led Zeppelin had just released their second album(Led Zeppelin II) just four months prior. You had Deep Purple who were on their third album by 1970. You can trace the lineage back to the bands that came out of England earlier on in the 60's, The Rolling Stones, The Animals, The Kinks, and The Yardbirds, who can trace their lineage back to their influences to some of the rock bands that pushed the envelope of rock music in the 50's, The Kingsmen, Chuck Berry, the artists that electrified their influences from a generation before them, like Blind Willie Johnson and Joe Hill Louis, right on back to the Delta Blues of Robert Johnson himself. I'm probably forgetting a lot of stuff, you had other influential hard rock acts in the 60's that were pushing away from the screaming teenage girl bubblegum and taking rock into new extremes, bands like The Who, Cream, Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf, MC5, and Blue Cheer(just seen this for the first time, excellent video, double bass drums in 1968, listen to the interview after the song; "There's that word again, heavy", best thing I've seen on Youtube, my mind is blown) deserve a mention.

As far as I know, the term "Heavy Metal" itself was first used by a magazine writer in the 1960's who was trying to describe Jimmy Hendrix's sound, saying that it sounded like heavy metal falling out of the sky. For me though, as an 80's/90's kid, the sound and attitude of heavy metal music really starts with this Black Sabbath album released in 1970. I think NIB at the time that this record came out in February 1970 was the heaviest song ever recorded. If there was ever anything prior that was heavier than NIB I'd like to hear it. The Wizard is a solid track, not one of my favorites on this album, but ok enough. Behind the Wall of Sleep and NIB is where this album gets good. Absolutely love the bass solo before NIB. The bass in general is outstanding on this album, as are the drums. The guitar work is amazing. The sound of this record overall has aged very, very well in my opinion, for something that was recorded 46 years ago this just sounds excellent to me. There's just a certain tone that these old Sabbath recordings had that is as timeless as a classic horror movie like Frankenstein or Psycho.

The guitar work by Iommi on this album pretty much sets the tone for an entire genre of music that would follow in his footsteps. One of my favorite quotes is from Zakk Wylde who said something like Black Sabbath invented every heavy metal riff, every heavy metal band that has come after them is just playing Sabbath riffs, slowed down, sped up, tuned differently or slightly changed around. I can't remember his exact quote but ever since I heard him say that I can't help but notice that it was mostly true. To me Tony Iommi is the best guitar player to come out of England in the 1960's, with all due respect to Jimmy Page, Clapton, Beck, I just feel like Iommi broke ground with a style of music that appeals more to me than anything else that was released in that era. The rhythm section is where Sabbath really shines though, the bass and drums, Bill Ward and Geezer Butler were just incredible, especially on this album. The long 10 minute jam Warning was a nice little closer for this album that I enjoyed smoking some herb and listening to today. I've always said that marijuana does not make things better, things make marijuana better, Black Sabbath music is definitely one of those things. This is an absolute classic album, one of my all time favorites, such a great atmosphere and sound all the way. 5 Stars

Edit: Fixed the Blue Cheer video, check it out.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 09-09-2016 at 11:02 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jammed Paranoid while taking a quick run around the block. Wow. I forgot how much I loved Black Sabbath. This was just a great album. Starting with War Pigs a 9 minute long epic metal song, hearing it made me think about those scenes in Apocalypse Now where the helicopters are flying over Vietnam. From War Pigs into Paranoid, I can't listen to Paranoid without remember the old days jamming in my first band when I was in high school. I remember listening to this song over and over again like 50 times trying to figure out the lyrics so I could get them right, I could never understand what the fuck he was saying in some parts so I would just improvise something. We played so much Ozzy and Sabbath, we played a school talent show my freshman year and we played a medley of Black Sabbath songs, we played the intro and a couple of verses of Iron Man and segued into Paranoid then broke into NIB. I remember we had to rehearse the songs in front of the teacher that was running the thing, when we would play this medley I would leave out the verse in NIB where he says "my name is Lucifer, please take my hand" so she wouldn't make a big deal out of us playing that song(she made us drop Seasons in the Abyss off of our set for this same show). Then when we played it in front of the whole school I threw that line in there, she got in a lot of trouble, we gave that poor lady so much hell. The next year I snuck my Slayer bullet in the head t-shirt under another shirt and revealed it during our set. There was another show in town that she got us booked on and we got her in trouble by playing Cat Scratch Fever(I sang the Pantera version where he says pussy instead of kitty). I just can't imagine there were too many other 16 year old bands in 2000-2001 playing Sabbath and Ozzy covers the way we were back then.

This album just does not let up, from War Pigs to Paranoid to Planet Caravan, a nice slow down jam that shows off another side of their sound. I first heard this song on the Pantera Far Beyond Driven album. I noticed on this listening that Dime actually changed the solos in Planet Caravan a little bit, he made them better. I still really love this original version though, it's one of the most chill songs. They go from Planet Caravan into Iron Man, everybody's favorite Sabbath song, probably their biggest "hit"? It's a cool song with one of the heaviest riffs of all time but it's probably one of my least favorite tracks on this album. That says a lot about this album.

Hand of Doom is my favorite song on this album and one of my favorite Sabbath songs period. They open it up with a nice bass/drum beat and some cool vocals, then they get heavy as fuck, showcasing some nice diversity and balance in their sound. I love the Slayer cover of this that I posted in the other thread. Really makes this song great thinking that this was released in 1970, when you think about what else was out there, this was some pretty epic shit.

Electric Funeral is just not a song I'm crazy about. I like this one even less than Iron Man, not bad but not great. I remember Pantera covered this on the same album that Slayer covered Hand of Doom but they did like a shot for shot remake, Phil even tried to sound like Ozzy with the vocals, I honestly didn't like it too much(felt like they could have covered something way cooler). The last two tracks are very cool, Rat Salad features a sick drum solo, then Fairies Wear Boots is another excellent track. This album is just fucking great from start to finish, even though it has one of the worst album covers of all time. I really liked the first album but I think Paranoid was a big improvement. I just really really still love this sound, the bass, the drums, the guitars are all together in a really tight package that sounds really good to me. I think this deserves all of the acclaim it gets as one of the best heavy metal albums of all time. 5 Stars

Spoiler
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 09-09-2016 at 02:17 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been listening to Master of Reality for the past 2 days. Man they really took their sound to another level with this album, I think it is every bit as good as their first two records, maybe even a little better. What stands out to me on this album is the bass guitar, it is wonderful throughout this whole record. So many heavy metal bands have come along since Sabbath, bands that took the style to new levels but one aspect that was neglected since Sabbath is the bass guitar. The bass in Sabbath is some of the best heavy metal bass guitar ever in my opinion, and I think ole Geezer Butler may have been at his absolute best here on Master of Reality. The drums are on another level as well, even though they don't sound as sharp as far as production values(bass drums sound a little flat), the drums and bass work together and intertwine so beautifully to compliment Iommi's guitar riffing, then Ozzy was really finding his groove as a vocalist around the time of this album. Sweet Leaf was one of my favorites when I was younger, I love the lyrics about weed, "You introduced me to my mind", "strait people don't know what you're about" it's a really good anthem for marijuana, as a song I wasn't digging it so much though, maybe a 6 or a 7 on a 1-10 scale for me. After Forever might be my favorite track on the album though, such great lyrics, vocals, and such a great heavy groove. Also love Children of the Grave and the little classical guitar interlude before it. The album closes out strong with Into the Void. What a masterpiece of an album. 5 Stars

Spoiler

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shinobi is spot on in everything he said in your post about the debut album. I especially liked his point about their music being an audio version of a horror movie. The song Black Sabbath is the audio equivalent of a psychological/supernatural horror film like Blair Witch or The Omen, while Slayer is Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It's one of my favourite songs ever. It features the brooding three note riff that started the heavy metal genre (I think this riff or sequence of notes has a name but I forget what). The whole song has such a great atmosphere. Ozzy's vocals are so perfect, especially when he screams "Oh nooooo!" The sound/production holds up well, the rhythm, bass, and drums are fantastic, as are the guitar solos. The album as a whole is quite eccentric, lots of different styles and experimentation going on. When I first heard The Wizard, I found the mouth organ sound really annoying, and it still kinda is, but the song as a whole has grown on me, although it's still the worst song on the album. N.I.B. has my favourite instrumental section of the album, but the rest of the song is pretty unremarkable. The Warning is a pretty fun "jam" song. All in all, a great album, but I feel Sabbath were better when they focused on a single style as they did in their subsequent albums.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sabbath's sound comes from Birmingham...it's such an industrial (not the electronica) crunch. Iommi's use of Drop-D tuning and later E-Flat (Jimi Hendrix used it for his debut album, SRV used it for nearly everything)...really set them apart. Many other bands use these tunings, but not as exclusively as them. Also, The Devil's Interval...which is a very ominous chord that was actually banned by the Church during the Renaissance. They built the song, "Black Sabbath" around this interval. It's used a lot if you know what to listen for. "Enter Sandman" uses it, "Purple Haze," "The Beautiful People" and "The Simpson's Theme," wait...what?

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sabbath's sound does sound like it comes from a really dark fucked up place, their sound has shaped my vision for Birmingham England even though I've never been there or really seen any pictures or videos, I can just imagine this nasty fucking industrial town with smoke and pollution blocking out the sunlight, grimey brick buildings and machines grinding away.

I remember the heavy metal magazines used to publish articles about Black Sabbath almost on a regular basis, so many biographies on them that I had it memorized. I remember my favorite was in an old Guitar World magazine my friend had from like 1991 or 92 with a joint interview with James Hetfield and Tony Iommi together on the cover.

Spoiler

But I listened to Vol. 4 last night. For the longest time this was my favorite Black Sabbath album. For some reason I just wasn't feeling this one as much as Master of Reality this go around. I still do like this one better than their debut and Paranoid though, Wheels of Confusion, Changes, Supernaut, Snowblind, and Under the Sun are some of my favorite Sabbath songs. I really feel like this is such an underrated Sabbath album. I think Masters and Vol. 4 were when they were at their peak. 5 Stars

Spoiler

Then I listened to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. I've always read that they were really getting out of control with the drugs and alcohol around the time they recorded this album, supposedly they even went through some writers block and had to live in some creepy ass haunted castle to get their groove back. First of all this has one of the greatest album covers in heavy metal history, a creepy ass scene in red hues with somebody being molested by a satanic cult on a bed that has come to life, I don't know how to explain that album cover but it's pretty wicked. I really love the first half of this album but the last half is some of their weakest stuff yet, you can see how they were finally running out of steam creatively with these last 4 tracks. The title track, Sabbra Cadabra, National Acrobat, and the instrumental track are all lovely though, still probably better than most recordings from 1973, 4 & 1/4 Stars.

Spoiler
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 09-11-2016 at 06:12 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listened to Sabotage recently. This was a big success for Sabbath after a lot of people thought they were just about done. They recorded 5 amazing albums over the span of just 4 years from 70 to 74(never realized that Master of Reality was released just six months after Paranoid), they were completely whacked out of their minds on drugs and booze and qualuudes. Sabatoge was a big success critically and commercially when it was released in July 1975. I remember reading or hearing somewhere that Sabatoge was Phil Anselmo's favorite Sabbath album. As much love as this gets now and back then I think after listening to it this is my least favorite Sabbath album so far. It's a very cool album, I love the first 3 songs, Megalomania is alright little creepy slowdown. The Thrill of It All might be my favorite tack on this one, love the vocals and the groove of the bass, also some great guitars in that song. Supertzar is a trippy little instrumental track that sounds like something out of a horror movie, I don't know if I like it though. You can hear the band experimenting with a lot of little effects and studio tricks on this album, more overdubbed guitars and vocals, etc. I really don't care for Am I Going Insane, this sounds like them trying to sound like the other rock bands from 1975. The Writ is another song I'm not that crazy about, it's a long 8 minute track with a lot of little interludes and changes, the outro is cool but this song is kind of weird. So I'm not the biggest fan of this album. The album cover is up there as one of my favorites though, you got Bill Ward in a pair of red tights, Ozzy dressed like a woman standing in front of a mirror with their reflections turned the wrong way, pretty great. I only really like 3 songs on this album and none of those 3 would crack my top 10, maybe not even my top 20. 3 & 1/2 Stars

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished Technical Ecstasy from 1976. Really did not like this one up until the last two tracks, Dirty Women being one of my favorite Sabbath songs. She's Gone is also a pretty cool track with some good orchestral effects. They definitely tried to move out of the gloom and doom with this album, trying to keep up with the times maybe as all of these different styles began to emerge in the 70's, Disco, Reggae, Punk, Southern rock, with bands like AC/DC, Kiss, and Judas Priest starting to pick up momentum around this time, other bands that came along and were going faster and heavier. Black Sabbath was kind of losing their focus around the time of this album, they sound like they were trying to evolve but they didn't know where to go. Rock and Roll Doctor and It's Alright don't even sound like Black Sabbath songs at all, It's Alright takes the cake for my least favorite Sabbath song so far. If it wasn't for the last two tracks I wouldn't like this album at all. 2 & 1/2 Stars

And I made it through Never Say Die. I remember Dave Mustaine wrote about this album in the liner notes of one of the Nativity in Black cover albums, saying that he felt like it was an underrated Sabbath album and one that he had a lot of nostalgia for. I do like the title track. I feel like this is better than Technical Ecstasy but still just kind of a weird Sabbath album, this was released in 1978, they sound like they tried to go for a lighter more radio friendly rock sound with this album, trying to sound like the younger rock bands that had come around by that time. I remember reading about them going on tour with Van Halen opening up for them around the time of this album and Van Halen was blowing them off the stage every night. As I'm actually listening to this I change my mind, no this is not better than Technical Ecstasy. They really got out there with Never Say Die. The Breakout instrumental sounds like some Jay Leno/David Letterman night show music. The first couple of tracks have an energy that was lacking on Technical Ecstasy but this album gets weird going through the final tracks. I just don't like where they were going with their sound around this time. 2 & 1/4 Stars

So that brings an end to the Ozzy era of Black Sabbath. I did read something extremely cool on the Wiki page for Never Say Die, they did a performance on "Top of the Pops" television show where they ran into Bob Marley. Marley and Sabbath in the same room blows my fucking mind:

With the success of the "Never Say Die!" single, Black Sabbath was invited to perform on Top of the Pops. The band twice appeared live in the studio, miming to the song. One of these appearances was included on the official The Black Sabbath Story Vol. 1 - 1970-1978[15] video release. In his autobiography, Osbourne remembers the appearance fondly "'cos we got to meet Bob Marley. I'll always remember the moment he came out of his dressing room - it was next to ours - and you literally couldn't see his head through the cloud of dope smoke. He was smoking the biggest, fattest joint I'd ever seen - and believe me, I'd seen a few. I kept thinking, He's gonna have to lip-synch, no one can do a live show when they're that high. But no - he did it live. Flawlessly, too." In his autobiography, Iommi reveals that because Bill Ward had his hair in braids at the time, "everybody thought he was taking the mickey out of Bob. It wasn't like that at all; it was just the way he happened to have his hair in those days."
    I wonder what Marley thought about Black Sabbath.

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally listened to Heaven & Hell for the very first time. This is Sabbath's first album after they fired Ozzy and replaced him with Ronnie James Dio. I've heard the title track before but that was about it. I remember one of my friends uncles or something swore that Dio Sabbath was better than Ozzy Sabbath, I never really believed him though since he hated heavier metal, he was more of a Queensyche, Def Leppard type of metal guy. I never particularly cared for that style of heavy metal. I do like some of Dio's solo songs though. I really enjoyed this album. I read that they were going to have a different name but the record label insisted on calling it Black Sabbath. I'm perfectly fine with this being a Black Sabbath record, it sounds more like a Black Sabbath record than Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die, I actually like this more than Sabotage. Dio is a completely different style of singer, more of a real singer actually than Ozzy was. He has some really, really good vocals on this album. The bass and guitars sound better than the previous couple of Sabbath albums. With that said though I think I'm more of a fan of Blizzard of Oz(Ozzy's solo record released around this same time). 4 Stars
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 09-12-2016 at 09:18 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mob Rules is the second Black Sabbath album with Dio, released in November 1981. I actually liked this one a little more than Heaven & Hell, I'm really digging both of these albums right now. This album is their first without drummer Bill Ward, with Vinny Appice, I've heard that name a lot before but I can't remember who else he played for, maybe Kiss? His drums are ok on this album, I can't say if he is better or worse than Bill Ward. There are some good guitar solos here from Iommi, some of his best since the earlier Sabbath days. The Sign of the Southern Cross was one of the cooler songs on this album. Also like the title track, Voodoo, and Over and Over. My favorite song on the album is Falling off the Edge of the World, what a great Black Sabbath song. I actually really enjoy both of these Dio Sabbath albums, they got a great classic metal sound. I think Dio was an excellent fit for the sound they were going for. Dio just has such a classic metal voice that fit like a glove with Sabbath's sound. 4 & 1/4 Stars

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I checked out a few of the original Sabbath songs on Live Evil the live album they did with Dio in 1982, I wanted to check out Ronnie James Dio singing classic Sabbath. I remember somebody telling me somewhere that the Dio version of War Pigs was better than the original. I didn't like it that much, Dio's harmonizing in the later parts of the song are great but I don't like how he barks out the regular verses the way he does. The drums and guitars and bass sound fantastic on this album though, particularly for the older Sabbath songs they play like Children of the Grave and War Pigs. Interestingly enough Ozzy released a live album called Speak of the Devil sometime around 81 or 82 with his house band playing Black Sabbath songs, this was recorded after Randy died and Ozzy has been quoted saying that this was only released to fill out the final obligations with his record label at the time. I'll check it out another day.

Listening to Born Again now. This was released in 1983 with Bill Ward returning to the drums, but instead of Dio they've got Ian Gillian from Deep Purple. I read that they didn't even want to call this Black Sabbath but the record company forced them to again just to capitolize on the name value of the Sabbath brand. This really doesn't sound like a Black Sabbath album. So far this is my least favorite of all of them. There is some good heavy guitars here, some of the vocals remind me of early Power Metal era Phil Anselmo. I really didn't like this album listening to the first few tracks but by the end it kind of grew on me, it's ok for what it is, I'm not real crazy about it though. There are a couple of good parts of songs but there's not a song here that I liked, nothing here even worth going through the effort to even post a link.1 & 1/2 Stars

Moving along to Seventh Star from 1986, by this point it's just Toni Iommi as far as original members of Black Sabbath. Just like the previous few albums they didn't even want to call this Sabbath, this is essentially a Toni Iommi solo album(he's on the album cover) with Glenn Hughes on vocals, a bass and drummer I've never heard of and the old keyboardist that was a regular for Sabbath going back to the Ozzy days(was never actually credited as a member of the band until this album). I'm impressed with some of the guitars on this album but overall this is pretty damn cheesy. The vocals make me laugh. There are a few songs on here that sound like they should have been on a late 80's Jean Claude Van Damme movie. The singer sounds exactly like the guy who sang some of the songs on the Bloodsport soundtrack in fact, I'm wondering if they really are the same guy. I liked this more than Born Again but mostly because of the so bad they are good vocals, they are like a parody of 80's rock vocals, especially the outro of the very last song the guy hits a note so bad I laughed so hard. 1 & 3/4 Stars
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 09-13-2016 at 12:30 PM.

Thread Information