Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inside The Magazine

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Inside The Magazine

Recently, I started a column where I look inside various wrestling magazines from back in day so see what was popular in the world of wrestling. Magazines will include WWF Magazine, WWE RAW & Smackdown, The Wrestler, Inside Wrestling, Pro Wrestling Illustrated and other ones. I've done three thus far.

The Wrestler from June '95

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/08/...estle-june-95/

WWF Magazine from November '92

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/08/...e-november-92/

WWF The Wrestler October '94

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/09/...er-october-94/

If you have any suggestion for magazines or memories of the magazines mentioned thus far, discuss them!

vCash
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Inside The Magazine

A topic close to my heart. Keep it up. I did a few magazine reviews here a while back and Fezz has been known to drop one from time to time.

Do a 1996 mag next. That was my Golden Age of rasslin' magazines.

Thumbs Up/Thumbs Down was one of my favorite Apter Mag features.

vCash
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, yeah, I really enjoyed these. Good stuff. I remember The Wrestler was like the cheaper mag back in the day so that was usually the one I got.

vCash
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We were checking out some old mags here in a thread a couple years back

http://forums.prowrestling.com/showt...513&highlight=

I recommend the late nineties WOWs, or any non-WWF/WCW mag from the late eighties.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside The Magazine Volume #4: Inside Wrestling April '94. Featuring the 1994 Computer Challenge Tournament! https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/09/...ling-april-94/

Also features... Yokozuna wanting to quit? Lex Luger and his inability to win or want the WWF World Championship, plus more!

Glad you guys enjoy these! I currently have about 170+ magazines with dozens more coming this week! So, there will be plenty of material moving forward!

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always looked forward to the computer challenge tournaments, match-ups like Sabu and Sting (43 minutes is a little excessive for these two) and Ramon and Rude were always fascinating to read about. Tracey Smothers beating Taker? wow. Rude was a monster and a surprise winner, little did they know a few months later his career would be over.

Scott Putski learning from Warrior, lol.

Nice to revisit the mostly forgotten Ron Simmons heel turn in WCW and the constant hinting at that time of Hennig jumping to WCW. Heenan even hinted at it during the Clash where they did the Nancy Kerrigan angle with Hogan ("I would say it was the perfect plan.")

Beavis and Butt Head watching Sabu vs. Funk, the fact that it was poorly written makes me want to read it more. This was a few years before I got the Apter mag bug.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Icon View Post
    Always looked forward to the computer challenge tournaments, match-ups like Sabu and Sting (43 minutes is a little excessive for these two) and Ramon and Rude were always fascinating to read about. Tracey Smothers beating Taker? wow. Rude was a monster and a surprise winner, little did they know a few months later his career would be over.

Scott Putski learning from Warrior, lol.

Nice to revisit the mostly forgotten Ron Simmons heel turn in WCW and the constant hinting at that time of Hennig jumping to WCW. Heenan even hinted at it during the Clash where they did the Nancy Kerrigan angle with Hogan ("I would say it was the perfect plan.")

Beavis and Butt Head watching Sabu vs. Funk, the fact that it was poorly written makes me want to read it more. This was a few years before I got the Apter mag bug.
    Glad you read it and enjoyed it! I'm having a fun time doing this, even if the write-ups take a little while to accomplish since I'm reading the entire magazine as I go, haha.

Perhaps I could take pictures of the Funk/Sabu article with my phone and post it on here to be read. It's truly awful. It came across as if a 45-year old man was trying to be hip and cool and just failed horribly. I was half-expecting a serious piece on Sabu/Funk and instead got that garbage. Really disappointed in it.

When I saw Smothers beat Taker I laughed out loud, literally. So bizarre.

vCash
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Beavis and Butthead bit reminds me of a cartoon in one of those mags poking fun at the WWF vs. WCW war titled something like Vincis and Butt-Ted. Somebody on that Apter Mag staff had to have been a big Beavis & Butthead fan.

The computer challenge tournament was a fun concept. I reviewed the 1996 tourney a while back....

Spoiler

As for the 1994 edition.....

Smothers beating Taker is just too much. Don't know how I would have taken that at the time. I missed Smothers WCW run so he would have been new to me. I'd like to think I would have scoffed at such a result but there's a chance it would have had the opposite effect and made me think Tracy Smothers was some kind of world class super badass. I've often mentioned how the Apter Mags were great at building up the stars of 'lesser' regional promotions (USWA, SMW, ECW) and this is a great example. It definitely would have made me want to see some Tracy Smothers (he beat The Undertaker~!) had I been reading this in 1994. Good thing I didn't. I would have been so disappointed. It probably would have made me doubt everything I ever read in an Apter Mag from there on out. Even seeing 'unknowns' like Brian Lee & Sabu mixing it up with the big boys would have peaked my interest in those guys. Those 'Tier Two' promotions probably benefited the most from the Apter Mags.

Lawler over Michaels is another surprise finish and further proof that Lawler was yet another Apter Mag darling. "The King" was so interesting to me when I learned about his heel in WWF/babyface god in Memphis dual personalities. It's why he was one of the first wrestlers I sought out once I had money and access to tapes.

Lots of long matches in that bad boy. Too bad Bret & Rude were in different promotions. A Bret vs. Rude feud at any time from 91-94 would have been fun.

Rude himself is a surprise winner. I never would have predicted that.

David Rosenbaum was ahead of his time. SMW Bob Armstrong probably would be perceived as the heel today. Of course he was treated as the big babyface by 1994 SMW fans.

Matt Brock sure was right about The Boss.

That Yokozuna story looks like classic Apter Mag fluff.

Can't wait for the next one

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Lawler over Michaels is another surprise finish and further proof that Lawler was yet another Apter Mag darling. "The King" was so interesting to me when I learned about his heel in WWF/babyface god in Memphis dual personalities. It's why he was one of the first wrestlers I sought out once I had money and access to tapes.
    This reminds me of two of my friends who were buying the magazines before me bantering about Lawler being a 25 time world champion and me thinking "that clown was a 25 time world champion? Yeah right." It was a shock to me as well finding out that he was one of the all time greats just after he joined the WWF.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    That Beavis and Butthead bit reminds me of a cartoon in one of those mags poking fun at the WWF vs. WCW war titled something like Vincis and Butt-Ted. Somebody on that Apter Mag staff had to have been a big Beavis & Butthead fan.

The computer challenge tournament was a fun concept. I reviewed the 1996 tourney a while back....

Spoiler

As for the 1994 edition.....

Smothers beating Taker is just too much. Don't know how I would have taken that at the time. I missed Smothers WCW run so he would have been new to me. I'd like to think I would have scoffed at such a result but there's a chance it would have had the opposite effect and made me think Tracy Smothers was some kind of world class super badass. I've often mentioned how the Apter Mags were great at building up the stars of 'lesser' regional promotions (USWA, SMW, ECW) and this is a great example. It definitely would have made me want to see some Tracy Smothers (he beat The Undertaker~!) had I been reading this in 1994. Good thing I didn't. I would have been so disappointed. It probably would have made me doubt everything I ever read in an Apter Mag from there on out. Even seeing 'unknowns' like Brian Lee & Sabu mixing it up with the big boys would have peaked my interest in those guys. Those 'Tier Two' promotions probably benefited the most from the Apter Mags.

Lots of long matches in that bad boy. Too bad Bret & Rude were in different promotions. A Bret vs. Rude feud at any time from 91-94 would have been fun.

Rude himself is a surprise winner. I never would have predicted that.

David Rosenbaum was ahead of his time. SMW Bob Armstrong probably would be perceived as the heel today. Of course he was treated as the big babyface by 1994 SMW fans.

Matt Brock sure was right about The Boss.

That Yokozuna story looks like classic Apter Mag fluff.

Can't wait for the next one

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading!

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside The Magazine Volume #5: PWI July '93. Features, Paul Bearer sacrificing the Undertaker to Yokozuna, Ric Flair and Rick Rude both in WCW and their egos, WWF World Champion Bret Hart being a fighting champion, WCW World Champion Vader sits down for the press conference, and will Hulk Hogan make up his might, wrestling or Hollywood?

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/09/...5-pwi-july-93/

vCash
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much going on in that one.

Most interesting things were Doinkamania (was that written by committed Letters to the Editor troll Harry Simon?) and the Bruise Brothers bit. I didn't know the Bruise Brothers had an angle during this blink and you miss it WCW run. Hell, I didn't even know this run existed until a few years ago. See, the Bruise Brothers had built up a small buzz (probably aided by the Apter Mags), signed with WCW, were promptly squashed Flair & Sting in a throwaway match, and disappeared back to what was left of the territories for two more years.

Edit: OK, so it was actually Hogan & Sting who squashed the Bruise Brothers in a one off 1994 appearance.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside The Magazine Volume #6: Wrestle America September '92 :

featuring the curse Papa Shango put on Ultimate Warrior, the friendship between Nikita Koloff and Sting, plus what would happen in a dream match between Bret and Owen Hart. https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/09/...-september-92/

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside The Magazine Volume #7: Inside Wrestling December '95, Highlighted in the magazine is the issues between Vader and the duo of Arn Anderson & Ric Flair. Paul Bearer tried to recruit Kama to join the Undertaker? The Ultimate Warrior is coming for Renegade? The Gangstas invade Public Enemy’s turf and much more!

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/11/...g-december-95/

vCash
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa, some twilight one shit going on. I could have swore I posted in this thread last night. I'm losing my mind.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside The Magazine Volume #8: Pro Wrestling Illustrated May '96

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/12/...-8-pwi-may-96/

Giant goes to Japan, Ric Flair demands an apology, Goldust has gone too far, Dan Severn is interviewed for Press Conference, the Raven/Dreamer feud is going to kill them and much more.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
    Inside The Magazine Volume #8: Pro Wrestling Illustrated May '96

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2016/12/...-8-pwi-may-96/

Giant goes to Japan, Ric Flair demands an apology, Goldust has gone too far, Dan Severn is interviewed for Press Conference, the Raven/Dreamer feud is going to kill them and much more.
    That issue was my skeleton key to ECW and All Japan. Seeing pictures of a bloody Tommy Dreamer in the ad for the ECW Hardcore Hotline and Sabu moonsaulting some poor sap through a table got me hooked. I had forgotten that this issue also informed me that Steve Austin arrived in the WWF, at the time Austin leaving WCW hardly made waves so I had forgotten about him by the end of 1995. Great nostalgia as always keep them coming!

vCash
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Severn doesn’t understand why people try to separate pro wrestling from UFC as he sees them being as very similar. Severn hasn’t heard anyone tell him he can’t be NWA Champion and compete in UFC. In fact, he only ever hears that in the PWI magazine. He recalls defending the championship in Japan and follows the guidelines the NWA has. Severn doesn’t understand why UFC would be banned or compared to cockfighting since in cockfighting it involves animals that are not wanting to compete and there is likely death involved. He’s never heard of anyone dying in a UFC cage and has witnessed worse injuries in football, boxing and professional wrestling. UFC is all out for a shorter period of time while in wrestling you have to pace yourself for a longer battle. Severn believes he could still compete in UFC despite a full-time wrestling career because it’s in his blood and needs to compete since he’s a former champion. He also notes that he had discussions to appear at the Royal Rumble, but talks fell through. He looks forward to competing against Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart in the WWF.
    How fucking awesome. Severn was the man.

Another great flashback. Good stuff man.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside The Magazine Volume #9: The Wrestler June '97

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/01/...stler-june-97/

vCash
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember that mag with the Goldust cover well. Either had it or spent a lot of time reading it in the grocery store. The big Apter Mag talking point at the time was Dustin IZ ROONIN HIZ LAYGACY! by being Goldust whereas I thought it was awesome and career-making. Looks like I won that battle in the end.

That edition of The Wrestler doesn't jog any memories, though I'm sure I browsed through it in the grocery store as was my style at the time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside The Magazine Volume #10: WWF Magazine November '91. The following topics are highlighted...

- Jake Roberts ruining the marriage of Randy Savage & Elizabeth at SummerSlam
    - Sid Justice is just a mild mannered man from Arkansas who works hard.
    - Big Bossman shares his thoughts on IRS
    - Ric Flair being the real worlds champion
    - Sgt. Slaughter's career being in limbo now that he has distanced himself from Col. Mustafa and Gen. Adnan

Plus, there's more. Check out the whole magazine at the following link https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/01/...e-november-91/

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inside The Magazine Volume #11: The Wrestler December '97. Features the top ten of WWF taking on the top ten of WCW. Eddy Guerrero breaking the family apart with his recent actions, Q&A with Brian Christopher, Taz helps out John Kronus plus much more.

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/02/...r-december-97/

vCash
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a quality mag. So much was going on in the world of wrestling! Always enjoyed the WWF vs. WCW fantasy booking articles. Oddly enough I do not remember that cover. Sure I browsed through it though.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, back to back separate articles on a fresh faced Scott Taylor and Brian Christopher. Luger almost sweeping HHH in the top 10 showdown made me smile. Malenko sure was the Apter mag darling in '97 fresh off of his number 1 ranking in the 500 he gets more votes than Vader. Jericho over Mankind seems like a curious pick too.

I would be so tempted to replace all of Ole Anderson's comments in the x-ray column to "he's the shits."

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To go along with Inside The Magazine series, I'll add the "A Look Back At" series to this as well, since it's based on magazines. This one is for the PWI 500. I take a look at some top names and interesting names and see what they did during the grading period to warrant their spot on the list.

https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2014/12/...-500-rankings/

Thread Information