Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 68 of 68

Thread: Inside The Magazine

  1. #51
    Hat Guy guy Baker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
    Inside The Magazine Volume #15: PWI September '97

    https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/03/...-september-97/

    What’s your opinion on this magazine and what was going on in the wrestling world at this time? Leave your thoughts below!
    Wasn't sure I read this one until I saw the 911 story. That one I remember for some odd reason.

    That Mike Samples vs. Bobby Bolton (who?) story is vintage PWI.

    Was Bubba Ray's broken ankle legit? Don't remember that at all.

    The Rey Mysterio/Jennifer Aniston story might be even better than the Samples/Bolton one.

    Yikes. Now I remember how savage PWI was toward Fake Razor & Diesel.

    The only promotion I watched regularly at the time was WWF. I was all about the Hart Foundation. Also liked Undertaker. Foley was still a month or two away from winning me over with the JR sitdown interviews. Despite putting 1997 WWF as #1 in our Favorite Calendar Year countdown a while back the midcard was dreadful and a lot of the people I really liked the previous year were being phased out.

    Barely Legal was my 1st time seeing ECW after reading about it for a year and a half. We couldn't get the ppv but I borrowed a tape of it from my friend Gus a few days later and watched the hell out of it. An all time great show that turned me into a major ECW fan.

    Didn't watch WCW at all because I thought it was the Evil Empire.

  2. #52
    Senior Member The Icon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,514
    vCash
    2050
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Unfortunately this issue was a casualty of trimming the fat on my magazine collection since there was nothing really special about it outside of the Funk presser and the Pillman penned Austin article. I'm still kicking myself for tossing my glossy PWI photo specials out, dumbass.

    At this time I was still getting back into the WWF swing of things, the Hart Foundation was the be all-end all, especially being a Canadian fan. WCW still had my heightened interest with Luger having found a chink in the NWO armor by beating Hogan. I was also scrounging money doing odd jobs so I could get tapes of ECW and Japan. With everything still being fresh my feelings were ECW and Japan were striking on all cylinders. Though viewed with hindsight some people now say All Japan was starting to stray into too many headrops while ECW had lost some of it's edge in comparison to '95 and 96 due to getting on PPV. I was just happy at the time in getting good quality entertainment from 5 promotions.
    Last edited by The Icon; 03-08-2017 at 02:19 PM.

  3. #53
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    91
    vCash
    1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Inside The Magazine Volume #16: WWF Magazine July '92

    https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/03/...azine-july-92/

  4. #54
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    91
    vCash
    1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Inside The Magazine Volume #17: WCW Magazine May 2000

    https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/03/...zine-may-2000/

  5. #55
    Hat Guy guy Baker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
    Inside The Magazine Volume #16: WWF Magazine July '92

    https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/03/...azine-july-92/

    What was your opinion on this magazine, if you had it, or this is the first time reading about it here? What did you think about what was going on in the WWF at this time? Leave your thoughts below!
    First time reading about it. I didn't get into the mags until late 1995.

    1992 WWF isn't a personal favorite year but there was plenty of good stuff going on during this little period. I was all about Papa Shango and his curses/feud with Warrior. Taker vs. Berzerker had that one awesome moment with attempted murder by sword which we've written about a lot in the Match Review threads. Early HBK was fun. "Shawn Michaels has left the building" was a great bit. Flair vs. Savage was a good feud even if I was PISSED when Flair lost the belt. Even Model/Tatanka was pretty cool. My guys at the time were Flair, Shango, Taker and Mountie (think he was still around) with HBK quickly climbing up that list. Also liked Money Inc at the time although I remember almost nothing about their run aside from the feud with Hogan & Beefcake.

  6. #56
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    91
    vCash
    1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Inside The Magazine Volume #18: WWF RAW Magazine Winter '97

    https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/03/...ine-winter-97/

  7. #57
    Hat Guy guy Baker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
    Inside The Magazine Volume #18: WWF RAW Magazine Winter '97

    https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/03/...ine-winter-97/

    That concludes another edition of Inside The Magazine. What are your thoughts on the magazine and on the WWF at this time?
    magpic.jpg

    I think this is the first magazine you've reviewed that I actually own so I suppose I liked it enough to purchase.

    I enjoyed Vic Venom columns at the time

    I was loving all the main event stuff. Hart Foundation was life. Was also a big fan of Foley & Undertaker.

  8. #58
    It's only '17. Kilgore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,781
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    I enjoyed Vic Venom columns at the time
    Me too. Sometimes you don't have to be good, just first, and that was what Vic Venom was doing in the WWF mag.

    r.i.p. dogs playing poker

  9. #59
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    91
    vCash
    1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Venom's stuff is informative, i suppose. However, the CAPS lock is just annoying. You guys are probably right, that at the time it would be okay.

  10. #60
    Hat Guy guy Baker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    Me too. Sometimes you don't have to be good, just first, and that was what Vic Venom was doing in the WWF mag.
    Exactly. I'm sure his schtick would annoy the hell out of me today but his edgier, irreverent, smarkier takes were just what the teenage wrestling fan of the day was looking for. His deviation from the Standard Wrestling Mag "Journalist" template made him a breath of fresh air at the time.

  11. #61
    Senior Member The Icon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,514
    vCash
    2050
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingRecap View Post
    Inside The Magazine Volume #18: WWF RAW Magazine Winter '97

    https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/03/...ine-winter-97/
    I still have this issue(minus the cover), the history of LOD article was really well done at a time when it was still mostly taboo to mention history from other promotions. There is still some kayfabe to it as Animal really didn't meet Hawk until their high school years. Plus they didn't spend anytime in Chicago.

    I also enjoyed the Vic Venom articles too at the time.

  12. #62
    Hat Guy guy Baker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by The Icon View Post
    I still have this issue(minus the cover), the history of LOD article was really well done at a time when it was still mostly taboo to mention history from other promotions. There is still some kayfabe to it as Animal really didn't meet Hawk until their high school years. Plus they didn't spend anytime in Chicago.

    I also enjoyed the Vic Venom articles too at the time.
    The story I heard from an old Roadies shoot (or maybe it was just Animal?) was they were actually both born in Chicago but moved out at an early age and didn't meet until in high school. Of course not sure how much of that is real and how much is kayfabe....

  13. #63
    Senior Member The Icon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,514
    vCash
    2050
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    The story I heard from an old Roadies shoot (or maybe it was just Animal?) was they were actually both born in Chicago but moved out at an early age and didn't meet until in high school. Of course not sure how much of that is real and how much is kayfabe....
    In his book Animal discloses he was born in Philadelphia, moved to Florida, then went to Minneapolis. He transferred to the same high school as Hawk later on where they would first meet.

    Raw Magazine was a big factor as well in getting back into the WWF, loved the fantasy warfare and "the night the belt changed hands" articles. Plus the proto Diva's photo shoots...

  14. #64
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    91
    vCash
    1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    A Look Back At: 1994 PWI 500

    A Look Back At: 1995 PWI 500

    Just recently did the 1998 version of this series. It literally takes a long time to do the write-ups. Looking back, some of the rankings are just bizarre.

  15. #65
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    91
    vCash
    1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    1996 PWI 500 Rankings
    1997 PWI 500 Rankings
    1998 PWI 500 Rankings

    1998 is fresh off the presses in terms of release. 1997 was a controversial year with who the writers decided to go with as number focusing primarily, at least it seemed, on in-ring work. It kind of sticks out as a sore spot in terms of name value when you look at #1's through the years.

    Enjoy!

  16. #66
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    91
    vCash
    1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Inside The Magazine Volume #19: The Wrestler February '95

    https://wrestlingrecaps.com/2017/04/...r-february-95/

  17. #67
    Hat Guy guy Baker's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    2000
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by WrestlingRecap
    What are your memories of this magazine or what was going on in wrestling at this time? Leave your thoughts below!
    This was before I was reading the mags but....

    Harry (Simon) from Las Vegas was a regular letter writer who would later write for Meltzer's site. He was basically a gimmicky troll. Adam Bomb was "his guy" until Bomb left WWF. Then he portrayed a Disco Inferno super fan.

    Man, the Apter Mags were forever pushing the Steiners.

    "Beefcake had always been a Butcher as a wrestler" Ouch.

    "Sid hasnít been asking for a rematch and the only way that might happen is if he gets a lot of Vince McMahonís money to do so." Very prescient of PWI.

    I dig that Jacques Rougeau retirement story.

    I wasn't terribly excited by much in wrestling at the time. Also missed a lot of my Saturday morning wrestling due to stupid soccer.

    Owen & Mr. Backlund were my guys in WWF. Undertaker had already lost a little of his return magic. It was so obvious that he was stuffing the ice cold Yoko into the casket at Survivor Series. I was missing the Quebecers and annoyed by Lawler being stuck in lower card feuds with turds like Doink & Duke The Dumpster, though that one time Double J dressed up as Doink to humiliate Dink was super awesome and should totally get more love. The Corporation/Tatanka and their feud with Luger was a good idea on paper that didn't really work in real life. It was still early enough into his run that I was excited about the returning King Kong Bundy. I liked Michaels & Diesel but didn't like them holding the tag titles because they weren't a 'real team.'

    My interest in WCW plummeted from a solid 6 or 7 (it was more like an 8 throughout '93) to a 0 or 1 soon after Hogan's arrival. Even reading about the WCW stuff in your article makes me bored and sleepy and sad. WCW during this period was like a precursor to AWF only without the rounds or ironic 'so bad it's good' enjoyment. It was just straight up painful to watch and I wouldn't become a regular WCW viewer again until about August-September '95.

    I didn't watch, or even know of the existence, of any other promotions.

  18. #68
    Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    91
    vCash
    1500
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Inside The Magazine

    Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    This was before I was reading the mags but....

    Harry (Simon) from Las Vegas was a regular letter writer who would later write for Meltzer's site. He was basically a gimmicky troll. Adam Bomb was "his guy" until Bomb left WWF. Then he portrayed a Disco Inferno super fan.

    Man, the Apter Mags were forever pushing the Steiners.

    "Beefcake had always been a Butcher as a wrestler" Ouch.

    "Sid hasnít been asking for a rematch and the only way that might happen is if he gets a lot of Vince McMahonís money to do so." Very prescient of PWI.

    I dig that Jacques Rougeau retirement story.

    I wasn't terribly excited by much in wrestling at the time. Also missed a lot of my Saturday morning wrestling due to stupid soccer.

    Owen & Mr. Backlund were my guys in WWF. Undertaker had already lost a little of his return magic. It was so obvious that he was stuffing the ice cold Yoko into the casket at Survivor Series. I was missing the Quebecers and annoyed by Lawler being stuck in lower card feuds with turds like Doink & Duke The Dumpster, though that one time Double J dressed up as Doink to humiliate Dink was super awesome and should totally get more love. The Corporation/Tatanka and their feud with Luger was a good idea on paper that didn't really work in real life. It was still early enough into his run that I was excited about the returning King Kong Bundy. I liked Michaels & Diesel but didn't like them holding the tag titles because they weren't a 'real team.'

    My interest in WCW plummeted from a solid 6 or 7 (it was more like an 8 throughout '93) to a 0 or 1 soon after Hogan's arrival. Even reading about the WCW stuff in your article makes me bored and sleepy and sad. WCW during this period was like a precursor to AWF only without the rounds or ironic 'so bad it's good' enjoyment. It was just straight up painful to watch and I wouldn't become a regular WCW viewer again until about August-September '95.

    I didn't watch, or even know of the existence, of any other promotions.
    Having been reviewing WCW stuff from '94 fairly recently. There television really takes a dip after August or so. It becomes very Hogan focused and his friends focused in the fall and '95 that's all it is, really. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •