Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: VG & Tech Individual Top 50 Games of All Time 2016

vCash
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: VG & Tech Individual Top 50 Games of All Time 2016

Looking forward to seeing what your list looks like @Jeff, mostly cause we have similar tastes in comics, and it'll be interesting to see if that applies to video games as well.

Banner Credit: Surrender
    Made Nerdery Moderator - April 21st, 2015

Anime Currently Watching
    Attack on Titan S2, Dragon Ball Super
    Grimoire of Zero, MSG: Thunderbolt S2
    Tiger Mask W, Trinity Seven

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About half-way done compiling my list. Honestly when I do these things I probably end up ordering them like they do with the PWI list. The top 10 are grouped accordingly and everything else is just as is.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    About half-way done compiling my list. Honestly when I do these things I probably end up ordering them like they do with the PWI list. The top 10 are grouped accordingly and everything else is just as is.
    You're halfway done? How long does it take to write Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming
    Maybe so, but at least I'm not a fucking loser. You and your country is our bitch! Been that way for a couple of centuries. And Canada (technically part of your "empire") is our bitch which makes Owens our bitch. Deal with it.
    Don't worry, he's only making PW great again

I <3 JESUS

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright here we go with 50-41. Apologies in advance for some of the obscure games you may not know of...

50. Doom (PC)
    I hate this game. I literally do. My step-mom had it on her PC when she first met my dad and it was the only thing to do at their house. My brother and I would play it and no matter how good I thought I was at it, I always died. I hate it. So much so that I never even attempted to play the sequels.

49. Mighty Moprhin Power Rangers (Sega Genesis)
    Such a stupid game that I couldn’t help but love. I thought it was going to be a nice side scroller, fight-platform game. No such luck. That was the SNES version apparently. The Genesis version was a straight up fight game. When I got over being mad, I beat that game something fierce at least 20 times and loved every second of it.

48. Robot Arena (PC)
    Found this game at Walmart for $5. We installed it on every PC in our school’s computer lab. The game was pretty simple. Create a battlebot robot and put it in an arena and fight others robots. We connected by LAN and played everyone in the school. I’m not going to lie, I was pretty boss at it.

47. Javanoid (Web)
    Don’t ask me the website but in 2001, I found a game website that had a game called Javanoid and it was basically a game where you had a paddle at the bottom and the objective was to keep the ball in play and break the bricks above you with just that ball. By the end of the school year, I had everyone in school playing it. Addictive. Fun. And one of the few games I ever beat.

46. Paper Boy (NES)
    The most elusive creature of my childhood. I only got to play it for like 15 minutes at a friends house. My dad took me over to visit my friend’s dad and I got to play his NES. I played for 15 minutes and it was time to go. In that time, I fell in love. I never played it again and I’m going to keep those memories and not tarnish them.

45. Jeopardy (N64)
    I know this wouldn’t normally make a top 50 list but that’s why this is my list and not yours. I played this game until there wasn’t a single question that I didn’t know the answer to. I loved having friends over and smoking them at it because I knew all of the answers.

44. American Gladiators (Sega Genesis)
    What a frustrating game. It would range from unnecessarily easy to unnecessarily hard. Most of it was a combination of tap tap but there were just moments of insanity where you had to run from a gladiator or something he was shooting at you. I just really liked it for some reason.

43. Home Alone (Sega Genesis)
    I know this game doesn’t get much talk and it probably doesn’t deserve it. I loved being able to run around the house and put up traps for the Wet Bandits and defend my house against them until the cops get there. I’ve never seen a game like this since. It took me forever to figure out how to play it but when I did. Awesome.

42. Roger Clemens’ MVP Baseball (SNES)
    Best baseball game I’ve ever played. And I’ve played a lot. The thing that I loved the most about it was the fake teams and fake players. Roger was the only real player in the game (I think). I was a huge Atlanta Braves fan at the time and David Justice was my favorite player. Or Dave Judge of the Atlanta Condors that is. FUN. FUN. Game. I probably put in three years of game time into this game.

41. Rayman (PS1)
    Maybe I didn’t like this game as much as I remember. It was one of the last games I played on PS1 before making the jump and got it for like $10. I bought it thinking that it would be a pretty easy game to beat. I was wrong. That sucker was hard.
    Follower of Christ.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sat down this morning and wrote as many games as I could think of without stopping. I then cut it down to about 65 games and am struggling to eliminate the last 15. Then I come in here and see two games on Jeff's list already that I forgot to include (Doom and Home Alone).

Fuck this is even more difficult than I thought it would be.

I played Doom so freaking much when I was a kid. If my parents knew how much I played it they'd be pissed. Used to go to a friend's house and play it on his PC all the time.

Home Alone was a game I completely forgot about but remember loving when I played it. Like Jeff, I thought going through the house and setting traps was so much fun. That game was way better than it had any right to be.

Paper Boy pissed me off too much to make my list, but I did play it. Took me forever to get the hang of that one. I played the Game Boy version though so maybe that's why.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    50. Doom (PC)
    I hate this game. I literally do. My step-mom had it on her PC when she first met my dad and it was the only thing to do at their house. My brother and I would play it and no matter how good I thought I was at it, I always died. I hate it. So much so that I never even attempted to play the sequels.
    Why do you have a game you hate in your list? Do there not exist 50 games you like, so you had to shove some games you dislike in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    47. Javanoid (Web)
    Don’t ask me the website but in 2001, I found a game website that had a game called Javanoid and it was basically a game where you had a paddle at the bottom and the objective was to keep the ball in play and break the bricks above you with just that ball. By the end of the school year, I had everyone in school playing it. Addictive. Fun. And one of the few games I ever beat.
    This brings back a slight tinge of nostalgia. Javanoid is one of the better breakout clones out there. I think this one had a bunch of cool powerups. You also got me thinking about a bunch of other online games I loved in my school days. It seems a lot of them don't exist anymore, which is tragic. But maybe it's for the best, for if they were still playable, there goes the rest of the day

Never played a Rayman game.

Middle of Nowhere (By way of Cleveland, City of Kings and Champions.)
    vCash
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is going to be an interesting list, that's for sure.

Paper Boy is a classic. The AVGN recently did an awesome episode on it, highly recommended watch.

Doom is one of the first games I played, on my dad's PC. I am more of a fan of 2 and the newest entry, but this game was such a huge success for good reason. Killing demons never gets old.

I remember playing Jeopardy on the N64, I was far too young to be any good at it though.

American Gladiators was fun, difficult as fuck though.

2x PW Power 25 Winner

Currently Playing - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild and NBA 2K17

PW Game of the Year 2016 - Voting now open.

I <3 JESUS

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Why do you have a game you hate in your list? Do there not exist 50 games you like, so you had to shove some games you dislike in there?

This brings back a slight tinge of nostalgia. Javanoid is one of the better breakout clones out there. I think this one had a bunch of cool powerups. You also got me thinking about a bunch of other online games I loved in my school days. It seems a lot of them don't exist anymore, which is tragic. But maybe it's for the best, for if they were still playable, there goes the rest of the day

Never played a Rayman game.

Poor wording on Doom. I hate how hard it was for me. But it was a big change in gaming for me at the time. And no doubt at the time I loved it. I thought it was the best thing. Today, looking back, I don't like the theme and I think it was unnecessarily hard.

Yeah Javanoid had some power ups where you could shoot, one you could have the ball stick to your paddle and fling it off, and one that would give you another ball in play. So much fun.

RT described Home Alone right when he said it was better than it had any right to be.
    Last edited by Jeff; 09-05-2016 at 07:25 PM.
    Follower of Christ.

vCash
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh, American Gladiators. Loved that game. The rock climbing part was so hard!

ECW: Fuck The Bullshit

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was there any difference between the Super Nintendo and Sega Mega Drive versions? I heard the Super Nintendo version was supposed to be pretty awful, but to be fair it's coming from an old publication (Super Play - one of the best retro magazines).

Great descriptions, Jeff.

I <3 JESUS

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Ahhh, American Gladiators. Loved that game. The rock climbing part was so hard!
    I don't remember the name of the event but you had to grab a ball and run it to a net or goal type thing without getting tackled. That sucker was hard. Gladiator always waiting on you when you run out.
    Follower of Christ.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember a friend had a game called Global Gladiators for the Master System which I was psyched to play when I was younger, assuming it was going to be like the TV show.

As it turned out it had nothing to do with the TV show, it was just a shitty platforming game with a McDonald's tie in. Very disappointing and suffice to say that game will not be on my list.

I <3 JESUS

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright day two. Thank you all for your comments yesterday.

40. NBA Jam (Arcade)
    Admittedly, I’m not much of an Arcade guy. But in the 90’s EVERYONE I knew went to the arcade to play NBA Jam. The only other basketball game I’d ever played was a Larry Bird v Michael Jordan Sega game that was just like a 1 v 1 game with a slam dunk contest and a three point shoot out. But NBA Jam rocked. Loved all of the hidden content. HE’S ON FIRE!

39. Bart Simpson’s Nightmare (SNES)
    Ok, I loved this game. It was basically just a game of mini games. One of my favorite things to do was the egg/waterbaloon throw. I could pretty much hit ANYTHING on that screen anytime and never lose. I’ve forgotten most of it now, but I pretty much played it every day after school for a year.

38. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
    I felt like I had to put this game on here. Looking back, I think I remember it being better than it actually was. At the time, I thought it was pretty much the best thing in the world. I had to play it at a daycare that my mom worked at when I was in school and I wanted it so bad. We couldn’t afford it so those two hours after school were spent daily with me trying to take this to the end. I never made it.

37. Toe Jam & Earl (Sega Genesis)
    My brother and I thought this was the coolest thing ever when it came out. I couldn’t help but love the art at the time. I loved being able to bounce between dimensions. I don’t remember a lot of it now other than that moment when I finally beat what I thought was the final stage just to find out that it wasn’t. I rage quit that game so hard.

36. Goldeneye (N64)
    My first real PvP game. Everything else before was two player co-op. This was my brother and I finally seeing who was better at video games. The answer? Him. So much him. I found out that I had no business playing games like this. The problem, I couldn’t quit. I played it for six months. Another one of those few games I ever beat.

35. Rygar (NES)
    This is one of the most underrated games I know. Almost no one that I know, knows of this game or had ever played it. But I had a babysitter as a kid who had it and I gave it my best every day after school. Nothing was more demoralizing than that gap where you had to have a rope to cross. When I finally beat that part, I thought I was king of the castle. I never beat the level after it though.

34. Tetris (Mobile)
    The only mobile phone game on my list. Because of this game, I spent an entire year introducing myself to people that I already knew as “Jeff - Tetris Master”. I had two other friends who played this with me and I could smoke them so hard at this. This game caused one of the worst fights my wife and I ever had. I deleted the game shortly after because of it. Without a doubt my favorite phone game.

33. Twisted Metal (PS1)
    My brother and I begged for a Playstation for Christmas one year just because of a picture in an ad in a magazine about this game. I couldn’t imagine a better game in my life. The result? A bit underwhelming to be honest. But how great at advertising to my imagination does a game have to be to get me to one-off a Christmas gift on a game system to get it? At the time, it was still my favorite game. Didn’t age well at all though.

32. Zelda 2 (NES)
    This was another game that I never owned. My uncle (who was like 10 years old than us) had it. When we went to my grandmother’s house to spend a summer we would play it while he was working on a farm. I remember just how good this game was even to this day. The only thing that could make this game better was ever getting a version for myself to play at home. No such luck.

31. Lion King (Sega Genesis)
    Say what you want about movies turned into video games but Lion King was LEGIT when I was a kid. I wanted to put Aladdin on here but I only got to play it once. But LK… wow! What a platformer! And that stampede run, at the time, was the thing of legend. Until then, games were pretty much straightforward side scrollers (for what I’d played). This changed EVERYTHING for me.
    Follower of Christ.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know Rygar. Game Grumps did a full lets play of it a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming
    Maybe so, but at least I'm not a fucking loser. You and your country is our bitch! Been that way for a couple of centuries. And Canada (technically part of your "empire") is our bitch which makes Owens our bitch. Deal with it.
    Don't worry, he's only making PW great again

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I absolutely love Donkey Kong Country.

I think my list is just going to be many games in the same series, I could try and make it one game per franchise but that definetely wouldn't be true to my fav 50 games.
    (EG I love all 5 DKC games).

Next Wrestling Show Appearance
    HVW Ready 2 Rumble 21/01/17
    http://tinyurl.com/HVWTIX

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno if Lion King was a different game on SNES versus Sega, but the SNES version was gonna be on mine but sadly got cut. I loved just listening to the sound test. Got a kick out of the hyenas getting winded after attacking so you could stomp on their heads.

Of course if it's a completely different game, disregard me.

DKC was just as good as I remember it. Don't hate.

I <3 JESUS

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure the first DKC is the only one I ever played. I may have played #2 for a few minutes but not enough to get a fair evaluation of the game.
    Follower of Christ.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lion King is low on my list and might end up being one of the cuts I make to get to 50. Absolutely loved it though.

I'm amazed anyone would have GoldenEye on their list and not have it in the top 20 or higher. That game was revolutionary. Personal preference though, obviously. Very interesting.

Tetris will be on my list for sure. Same with NBA Jam and Donkey Kong Country.

I completely forgot about Bart's Nightmare. That game was awesome. Jotting it down on my list but not sure if it'll make the cut.

Loving Jeff's list so far!

Middle of Nowhere (By way of Cleveland, City of Kings and Champions.)
    vCash
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always found the SNES Donkey Kong Country games to be tremendously overrated, looking back they are technical marvels though.

Goldeneye and Twisted Metal were both games that were some of my favorite multiplayer games during my early elementary school years(Along with the AKI wrestling games) I was always a Thumper kid, and sometimes Warthog or Mr. Grimm too.

Tetris is Tetris, what can I say?

Zelda 2 is a good game and it gets too much flak. In the grand scheme of the series, it's a departure from the norm, but seeing how this was the second game, I always roll my eyes when people use that as an argument against it.

Oh man, the Lion King! Definitely my favorite Disney game of the 4th generation, and that's saying something, because they were quality back then. Level 2 (Can't Wait to be King) is one of my favorite levels in a platformer ever, everything about that game is so charming and it fills me with with nostalgia just thinking about it.

2x PW Power 25 Winner

Currently Playing - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild and NBA 2K17

PW Game of the Year 2016 - Voting now open.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't even begun to start my list yet as I have been super swamped with work, school and life at the moment. Hoping to get some time over the weekend to get one fleshed out.
    Thanks to Rad for the awesome banner!

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Mike View Post
    I haven't even begun to start my list yet as I have been super swamped with work, school and life at the moment. Hoping to get some time over the weekend to get one fleshed out.
    I dunno man, if everyone gets a week... you only have until October or November.

I <3 JESUS

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to post so late. I had a rough day at work pulling a 13 hour shift. Halfway there on the list today!

30. Duck Hunt (NES)
    Look, I know this thing was no masterpiece and became a giveaway with the system to push the gun that never mattered for anything else really. But when you’re six and you’ve got that gun and are shooting ducks… you might as well be a master hunter in your own mind. Everything about this game was iconic for me and my childhood. Right down to that laughing dog.

29. Beavis & Butthead (Sega Genesis)
    At the time, I had never played a harder game in my life. Well, aside from Terminator 2 on NES (but that wasn’t even a game in my eyes as much as it was an insult). I went back about five years later and figured out how to play this and got pretty close to beating it. I would never play it today, but as a kid, I thought this was so cool. So hard. So cool.

28. Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2)
    That soundtrack! I was right out of high school (or close to it) and I would spend every single day just running around shooting people to this soundtrack. Game did such an amazing job transporting us back twenty years to the time of the game and it was just so much fun.

27. RC Pro AM (NES)
    My uncle had this game (a different one than before that I saw more often). Until I was like 18, this was the only racing game I’d ever play. And it stands today to STILL be my favorite racing game. Nothing will ever touch this. No matter how good the graphics get with Forsa or whatever you kids play these days. You’ll never know a better racer than this.

26. Theme Park (PS1)
    This game probably has the slot for third most I’ve ever played a game. After my parents split, my Dad didn’t do much for us. He picked us up. We went to his house and sat and watched what he watched on TV. He took us home. Not often did he do something great for us. One day he took me to Walmart and said, “Get a game.” I got this game. And it was fun. It got old pretty quick so my friend and I just made up our own game called “Kid Farm” where we would trap kids in the theme park and never let them leave. Sick. I know.

25. Oregon Trail (PC)
    This was the first computer game I ever played and it still holds true to be my favorite. Nothing will ever take its place. School libraries became my favorite hangout spot because of this game. I found out the importance of being a banker. And was left wondering why dysentery was such a terrible disease. Fun times.

24. Tomb Raider (PS1)
    I originally got this game as part of a PS Sampler Pack for like $5 thinking that it actually came with all of those games. Crash Bandicoot was on it as well. I was young and naive but I beat the sample game so many times that I finally convinced my mom to get me the full game. I played it a couple of times and gave up on it. But that sampler game… that thing was amazing. I guess they succeeded in putting my favorite part of the game in the sample to get me to buy it.

23. Lego Star Wars Episodes 4-6 (XBox 360)
    My first 360 game and man did I put the hours into it. This was my first dabble into achievements and I have been hooked ever since. I got every achievement in the game save for two. Beating episode 6 in less than hour proved to be too much for me, which also meant I wouldn’t get the “get all other achievements” achievement. This game has gotten me hooked on Lego games as well. So simple. But so complex at the same time.

22. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
    I know this game doesn’t make many lists because of how off the wall it was. But when you go into it fresh, it’s actually a really fun game. It takes a while to forget everything you learned about Mario in the first game but when you do, you can actually enjoy it for what it was. I never beat it but I watched a cousin beat it once. Looked like fun. I was never good enough to get all the way through though.

21. Ren & Stimpy (Sega Genesis)
    I told you before that there aren’t many games that I’ve beat but this is one and it was also the most satisfying because I’d gotten to the point of beating it so many times and died right before the end. I just never gave up. The game (for a young kid) was the perfect combination of fun, gross, and exciting all rolled into one. Though it wasn’t my top Sega Genesis game, it was my favorite one to play as a kid.
    Follower of Christ.

vCash
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lego Star Wars gave me a new appreciation for the entire trilogy. Of course since then the comics came out and that halped too.

B&B was a game I always wanted to play as a kid. But seeing what it actually was... I'm kinda glad I never did.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I spent a lot of time playing Theme Park World on the PC. By far my favourite of the city/life simulator games.

Tomb Raider is a classic. I've played it so many times yet I never got very far. I got to the T-Rex on the third level and shortly after that I lost all interest. No idea why. I even tried playing the remake (Tomb Raider: Anniversary), which is easier but its hand holding and quick time kills sucked all the life out of the game. I intend to return to the original game at some point and commit to completing it.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GTA: Vice City was one of the last cuts from my list. As far as series went, I tried to keep it to a maximum of 3 games per. Fortunately there were only two game series that had at least 3 games I liked, GTA being one of them.

Vice City was a fresh take on the series and a game I absolutely loved. But there were two GTA games that were going to be on my list no matter what and a 3rd that just edged Vice City for nostalgic value in my books. Still a great game though.

Glad Jeff is showing some love for Mario Bros. 2. It's my favourite Mario game.

Thread Information