Thread: 2016 U.S. Open

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2016 U.S. Open

Tournament starts today, with only one defending champion in it, since last year's women's champion retired almost immediately after winning it.

Think the Djoker will win it again? Can Serena reclaim what she lost last year?

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2016 U.S. Open

So much for having a Canadian going far. Milos couldn't even make it past the second round.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it might be Murrays time now, Novak seems to have injuries and possibly other things going on and I think Murray is playing his best tennis ever. I think he's got this.

I can also see him taking number one spot, possibly by the time the world tour finals come along.

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another blow to Rafa's psyche. Last year he lost to Fognini after being 2 sets and a break up. Here, he loses from being a break up in the 5th and had that woeful miss at 6-6 in the final set breaker (having saved 3 MPs). He used to be the clutchest of them all. After going 17-5 in 5-set matches, this is now his third straight loss when it has gone the distance and hardly against giants of the game (last USO to Fognini, AO to Verdasco, now Pouille). The fear factor is gone. His confidence in those biggest moments isn't there. Great for tennis for a young guy (22 seems to be young for tennis these days) to get a big win. We still need some 18/19 year olds to break out.

Novak must be delighted to see himself surrounded by three Frenchmen in his half of the draw. A place in the final almost assured, irrespective of the possible elbow trouble.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, Nishikori beat Murray. Wouldn't have seen that coming with the momentum that Andy had. We might be set for the first ever Uniqlo battle in a major final.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think he let himself get too distracted by that mini row over the noises in the stadium, his temperament is questionable on and off I guess.

Fun fact - The commentator on Eurosport said the close-able roof on the stadium cost $100 million!

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Juan Martin gone, I am fully supporting Kei Nishikori for this year's US Open championship. I hope he finds the game that led him to the final 2 years ago and surpasses it.

For the women's side, I hope Kerber picks up the win and #1 ranking. She's been extremely consistent this year with the AO, and the Wimbledon and Olympic runner up finishes.
    ★ FEEL THE GLOW! ★

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Serena got bounced tonight.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kerber will be the #1 now - ending Serena's three and a half year run.

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awful loss for Murray really against someone that is far from mentally strong. In some of the best form of his career and he let himself fall apart. Has happened too many times in big matches and it is why he isn't up there with the true greats. Still been a tremendous year for him, but this tournament felt like a big moment. If he'd won, he would've held two Majors to Novak's 2, all 4 finals in one season and been challenging for year-end #1 with huge momentum.

About time someone took Serena's #1. At the 8 Majors from US Open 2014 (when she was a few weeks from turning 33) to Wimbledon 2016 (close to turning 35), she made 7 finals and won 5. Nobody should have the best run of their career at the age of 33-34. I've mentioned it before, but there is a similar issue in the men's game as well, with missing generations really. Where are all the great 18-20 year olds making breakthroughs? We've had none since Delpo. The only two guys in the top 16 that are under 25 are Thiem and Kyrgios and does anyone really see those guys getting to the very very top?

Let's limit this to the Open era and look at the guys who won 6+ Majors and the age at which they reached their first Major final:

Jimmy Connors, 21 years 10 months WIN (born Sept 1952)
    Bjorn Borg, 18 years 10 days WIN (born June 1956)
    John McEnroe, 20 years 6 months WIN (born Feb 1959)
    Ivan Lendl, 21 years 3 months LOSS (born Mar 1960)
    Mats Wilander, 17 years 9 months WIN (born Aug 1964)
    Stefan Edberg, 19 years 11 months WIN (born Jan 1966)
    Boris Becker, 17 years 7 months WIN (born Nov 1967)
    Andre Agassi, 20 years 2 months LOSS (born Apr 1970)
    Pete Sampras, 19 years 1 month WIN (born Aug 1971)
    Roger Federer 21 years 11 months WIN (born Aug 1981)
    Rafael Nadal 19 years 2 days WIN (born Jun 1986)
    Novak Djokovic 20 years 3 months LOSS (born May 1987)

You'll notice that Federer was actually the latest bloomer of this club at almost 22 years to reach his first final. We should be expected guys that are going to be legends of the game to be making their first final young.

There is that big gap in terms of birth age between Sampras and Fed where there was a space for another all-time great that clearly didn't exist and as a result there were more guys picking up a Major or two in the late 90s/early 00s than any other time in history (Rafter born in 1972 won 2, Kafelnikov born in 1974 won 2, Kuerten born in 1976 won 3). Agassi won 5 of his 8 Majors as an old man (in tennis terms, which means 28+) in this stretch and it feels like Novak is doing something similar in exploiting a dry spell of young talent and being more dominant at 28+ than before it (even winning all 4 in a row).

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Novak must also be thinking "what the fuck is going on?" at this tournament.

1st round: beat Janowicz, who has barely played a match in the past year
    2nd round: walkover
    3rd round: Youhzny retired after 6 games
    4th round: destroyed work-in-progress Edmund in straights
    Quarter final: Tsonga retired after being 2 sets down and apparently had the injury coming in
    Semi final: Monfils in full-on clown mode, until the crowd booed him and then he decided to try, and then went back to clown mode

I can't think of a run to a Major final like it.

Glad Stan won, as I think he gives us the best chance of a great final, with him and Novak having had some classics in the last few years.

Stan has won 2 of their last 3 matches in Majors and has won his last 10 finals. If the Stanimal shows up, he can beat anyone.
    Last edited by Strobe; 09-09-2016 at 09:59 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am very happy that Angelique Kerber finally snagged the #1 ranking. She's been very consistent all year round and has finished in the Top 10 for 3 consecutive years. I still remember her surprise semifinal appearance in the US Open back in 2011. I think that was where it all began and I'm glad it's the same tournament that led to the culmination of that effort.

Rooting for Novak for the men's finals today.
    ★ FEEL THE GLOW! ★

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaye88 View Post
    I am very happy that Angelique Kerber finally snagged the #1 ranking. She's been very consistent all year round and has finished in the Top 10 for 3 consecutive years. I still remember her surprise semifinal appearance in the US Open back in 2011. I think that was where it all began and I'm glad it's the same tournament that led to the culmination of that effort.

Rooting for Novak for the men's finals today.
    They do the men's finals on Monday from now on so they don't get overshadowed by NFL football.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL...why is it that every girl that upsets Serena fails to seal the deal in the Finals?

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    They do the men's finals on Monday from now on so they don't get overshadowed by NFL football.
    Nope, utter bollocks as usual.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    I didn't notice that. I looked the schedule up and you're correct. Ugh, that means I won't be able to watch it because I already have work that day. Annoying.

Thanks for the heads-up, though.
    ★ FEEL THE GLOW! ★

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaye88 View Post
    I didn't notice that. I looked the schedule up and you're correct. Ugh, that means I won't be able to watch it because I already have work that day. Annoying.

Thanks for the heads-up, though.
    You must have looked up the schedule wrong. The men's final is tonight.

The men's final was on a Monday five years in a row from 2008-2012 due to weather delays, having originally been scheduled on the Sunday. In 2013, the scheduling changed, but not in the way you might expect. They kept the "play the men's first round over three days" nonsense and had the men's semis on Sat, women's final on Sun and men's final on Mon (unlike Fri, Sat and Sun for the other Majors). So for the first time the men's final had actually been originally scheduled for a Monday, but even when they announced this new scheduling in 2013, they said it would only be for that and the next year, with it changing to being in line with the other Majors in 2015. Which it did and the men's final took place on a Sunday for the first time since 2007. We now have a roof in 2016 so no fear of the match being delayed to Monday due to weather.

In summary:

2007: final scheduled for Sunday, took place on Sunday
    2008: final scheduled for Sunday, took place on Monday due to weather
    2009: final scheduled for Sunday, took place on Monday due to weather
    2010: final scheduled for Sunday, took place on Monday due to weather
    2011: final scheduled for Sunday, took place on Monday due to weather
    2012: final scheduled for Sunday, took place on Monday due to weather
    2013: final scheduled for Monday, took place on Monday
    2014: final scheduled for Monday, took place on Monday
    2015: final scheduled for Sunday, took place on Sunday
    2016: final scheduled for Sunday, will take place on Sunday

It is not a Monday final. None of the Monday finals were to do with the NFL, because if that was the case, surely they'd have kept the 2013-14 schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    LOL...why is it that every girl that upsets Serena fails to seal the deal in the Finals?
    Probably because they were still the lower ranked played heading into the final. There is a reason they aren't ranked higher and it is considered an upset - they can't do it consistently.

Pliskova was on an incredible run of form with 11 straights wins (including 5 over top tenners, including Muguruza, Venus, Serena and Kerber herself in the final of Cincy) but Kerber is still the overall superior player and is the new world #1 over Serena. Kerber was in her third Major final of the season (out of 4), whereas this was Pliskova's first time beyond the 3rd round. We should be happy she gave as good an account of herself as she did.
    Last edited by Strobe; 09-11-2016 at 10:23 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, my bad. I had a brain cramp.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was probably a worse way for Stan to lose the first set than if he'd just lost one of those SPs serving at 2-5. Instead he got right back into it and into the breaker. Then at 1-2 down he made one of those decisions that just baffles you from a pro (I'm looking at you, Fed) and with the entire court open AND his opponent already guessing to go further out the court, he went towards him instead of into the whole open court and lost the point. Pretty much fell apart in the breaker from there.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, yeah. Looked up the schedule wrong. Saw September 12, but didn't notice that it was 4 AM, which means it was already set to my timezone.

I just woke up and going to catch up. Thanks, Strobe!
    ★ FEEL THE GLOW! ★

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It felt like Stan was almost trying his best to lose the second from a break up and even more so in the third set, with poor serving and some dodgy shot selections. He is almost incapable of an easy service game today it seems. Even if he is 40-0 or 40-15, he is finding a way to let it get to deuce or BP down. But he got both of them in the end. If he can just get his serve going, this is completely his to lose. And just as I type this, he gets a relatively comfortable hold for a change.

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Novak with antics and momentum-killing MTOs. Not unexpected from him. Thankfully it didn't affect the outcome. Djokovic has been incredibly consistent at the USO with 10 consecutive semis and 7 finals from them, but overall you'd have to say he has underachieved with only 2 titles. 2-5 in US Open finals is in stark contrast to his 6-0 Australian Open final record.

Well done, Stan. A man for the biggest of occasions. Since the start of 2014, 11/11 in finals overall and 3/3 in Major finals (over Nadal - beating Novak earlier in the tournament - and Novak x2 no less). Amazing that he has as many Majors as Murray again (all won at 28+, two at 30+) and now has 3 of the 4 with only Wimbledon missing (Murray still lacks RG and an AO despite 5 finals) when the discrepancy between them overall is huge.

Andy Murray Stan Wawrinka
    Major titles 3 3
    Major finals 11 3
    Major semis 20 7
    Major quarters 28 13
    Masters titles 12 1
    Masters finals 19 3
    Masters semis 31 8
    Career titles 39 15
    Career finals 60 24

Stan has now split his last 6 Major matches with Novak and, in fact, won 3 of the last 4, with all three of his losses coming in 5. Compare that to Murray, who has lost his last 5 Major matches with Novak (only taking him to 5 once) since Wimbledon 2013 and the back surgery.

2013 AO: Djokovic in 5 (bad line call stopped an almost certain break that would've let Stan try to serve for the match deep in the 5th)
    2013 USO: Djokovic in 5
    2014 AO: Wawrinka in 5
    2015 AO: Djokovic in 5
    2015 RG: Wawrinka in 4
    2016 USO: Wawrinka in 4

Stan is the guy that troubles Novak the most when it matters the most, yet is 0-5 in non-Majors during this 2013-16 period.

Murray is quite clearly a greater player overall due to his consistency, but on his day Stan is indeed The Man.

Thread Information