They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Colin Kaepernick Protests Anthem Due to Treatment of Minorities

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    Boy and I thought Blindy's posts on the subject were bad. You've taken to just pretending you know someone for your point.
    His life story is not exactly a secret. And his particular life has been one of privilege.

There are ways to protest and stand up for your social causes without disrespecting the country and flag that millions of our veterans have fought, died, and sacrificed for. Colin is coming off as a whiny ungrateful bitch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No veteran fought or died for a flag...

And his life has been private enough for you to not know shit about whether he's been discriminated against, and it's irrelevant to his point that black people in the country are oppressed.
    Last edited by mikec; 08-28-2016 at 09:21 AM.

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what I'll say...

Do I like, or agree, with his choice? No. I do not. However, he is afforded the right to choose to make such a public display of protest to raise awareness for something he feels this strongly about. With that, he should realize that just like he has the right to make such a gesture, that people have the right to civilly react how they see fit (though some have been far from civil, that's another story). I feel what he did is disrespectful, but he's afforded that right.

I also feel comments like, "he's made X amount of money so what does he know?" Or "he was raised by a while family, he doesn't know anything" are also disrespectful. Is there a certain level of money that people can no longer have an opinion? If so our two major presidential candidates shouldn't be allowed to give an opinion at all. Is there a certain career field? Because then Muhammad Ali would never have become what he was (and no, this is not comparing Ali to Kaepernick for those who would make that ridiculous twist of my words). We've seen part of Colin's past, we choose to jump on that, but what about the rest of his life we haven't seen?

I do not approve of Kaepernick's gesture, but I also haven't walked in his shoes. I think sometimes we get blinded by how we think things should be from one perspective and close our minds off to every other view. So with that said, I have an appreciation for what he is trying to do, use his position to raise awareness. There's a difference in recognizing and agreeing.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    No veteran fought or died for a flag...

And his life has been private enough for you to not know shit about whether he's been discriminated against, and it's irrelevant to his point that black people in the country are oppressed.
    Figuratively speaking. And you are the one assuming that, there are people who join the military because they feel it is right to defend their country. Yeah the benefits that go along with it are fantastic and people have been drafted into the armed forces but I don't know how you can say that a veteran hasn't fought or died for their country and to plenty, a country's flag represents a country as a whole which is what Kaepernick is attributing this to.

Currently Playing:
    Persona 5(PS4), Rocket League(PS4)

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheMan View Post
    I think protesting against our government's ills is one of the most patriotic, most American things you can do. I think when people like Glenn Beck criticize Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA as being "anti-American," I feel sorry for the guy because he clearly doesn't understand the values this country was founded upon. At the same time, I also think people have every right to express their distaste with what Kaepernick did, just as Glenn Beck -- stupid as he is -- has every right to express his distaste with Born in the USA, and if the demographic that pays your bills disagrees with your actions (see Dixie Chicks) then you reap what you sow.

I also think Kaepernick is just an idiot. I think the actual reality is police forces have a bias against the urban poor fairly rooted in the disproportionate amount of crime that comes from those communities, which disproportionately affects African Americans because they disproportionately make up said communities. I think when black people from these communities (Baltimore, Detroit, Chicago, Memphis, etc.) protest against police violence or racism, their anger is justified but the target is off the mark. I think the real sources of their angst - poverty, poor education, antiquated drug laws, etc. - are not being addressed by groups like BLM and cannot be answered with something as simple as "because racism" anyway. I think the African American voting bloc had an opportunity to elect a politician who truly cared about trying to solve the root of these problems and instead they overwhelmingly chose poorly. I also think these black communities need to do some housekeeping of their own, because there is clearly a culture in these urban environments which glorifies violence, drug use, promiscuity and general stupidity which then feeds into the biases held by law enforcement and continues the cycle, and if you disagree then I invite you to take a lovely stroll through West Memphis at night and see what happens.

Finally, I think when Colin Kaepernick sits on a bench during the national anthem at a football game as a form of protest, all I see is a young, stupid, entitled Millennial who has spent way too much time on social media. And when I see other young, stupid, entitled Millennials on social media comparing what he did to Muhammad Ali's protests against the Vietnam War it makes me want to puke.

Anyway, that's generally what I think of it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also don't buy Kaep's whole "I don't care if I lose endorsements!" statement because if he truly did care about endorsements, he restructures his deal to go from one of the worst teams in the league where he isn't a slam dunk to start Day 1 to the defending champions who will be on national TV far more and SHOULD be in competitive games all year long, unlike (on paper) the 49ers.

He is entitled to not restructured, absolutely. But if he really cared about getting more exposure and more endorsements, he is one of two starting QB on the 8th of September.

(For the record, I get what he is trying to say that there are risks for being so outspoken but I just think it's silly given the offseason he has had and the decision he made to say he's being bold in potentially losing endorsements when he turned down the chance to succeed Peyton Manning and be the Broncos starting QB. I just think it sounds silly.)

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I only know this geezer from playing the latest Madden game, he seems cool, I guess. Good for standing up to something.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think there is a right answer to either side of this argument , we each have our own long standing views on anything like this.

I agree with most of what Shades said.

I think that in the long run that this is going to be be more counter productive to his cause , just like the fucking joke douchebag of a group BLM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Figuratively speaking. And you are the one assuming that, there are people who join the military because they feel it is right to defend their country. Yeah the benefits that go along with it are fantastic and people have been drafted into the armed forces but I don't know how you can say that a veteran hasn't fought or died for their country and to plenty, a country's flag represents a country as a whole which is what Kaepernick is attributing this to.
    The comment was that veterans fought and died for the flag. I said they didn't. I didn't say they didn't die for their country, but I value their loss to being about more than fabric. It's about both keeping and spreading the liberties we have, which include the freedom to not stand up during a song, even if everyone else is, because you want to talk about what's wrong.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it the most "kosher" way of protesting? Probably not but it worked to get people's attention. It is sadly bringing out the ugly in people. The fact people are more upset over the action rather than the problem Kaepernick is protesting is very telling of our country.

You're Welcome.

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read that people in San Francisco are burning their Kaepernick jerseys. I saw two videos of it, as well.

vCash
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sB View Post
    Was it the most "kosher" way of protesting? Probably not but it worked to get people's attention. It is sadly bringing out the ugly in people. The fact people are more upset over the action rather than the problem Kaepernick is protesting is very telling of our country.
    To be fair, what Kaepernick is protesting has been going on vigorously for 2 years. Some people have just gotten tired of it already. It's not telling of anything, but how long can you expect people to deal with it?

Plus, he didn't handle it appropriately. There are other ways to handle it and many athletes have done it. Shirts, speeches, etc. What Kaep did was disrespectful to Americans.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    To be fair, what Kaepernick is protesting has been going on vigorously for 2 years. Some people have just gotten tired of it already. It's not telling of anything, but how long can you expect people to deal with it?

Plus, he didn't handle it appropriately. There are other ways to handle it and many athletes have done it. Shirts, speeches, etc. What Kaep did was disrespectful to Americans.
    Okay.

First off, the many injustices that are going on in this country have been going on for well past two years, it is just now being brought to light with social media and other technological advances. And what are "people tired of already"? I wish I had the luxury and pleasure of being tired....

And people are making shirts and doing everything you said and still get flack for it. So please enlighten me on ways to solve this issue that our country is facing. I am still trying to figure out how it is "disrespectful to Americans" when people have literally made death threats to the president and somehow find a way to justify it.

You're Welcome.

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Real LT View Post
    His life story is not exactly a secret. And his particular life has been one of privilege.

There are ways to protest and stand up for your social causes without disrespecting the country and flag that millions of our veterans have fought, died, and sacrificed for. Colin is coming off as a whiny ungrateful bitch.
    I love that someone found a way to bring up veterans in this. America's military worship and extreme patriotism just make it more easy for people like Kaepernick to get attention with shit like this. He didn't even have to try hard to get people whining about him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you give some examples?

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering that Colin is bi-racial, raised by white people, and has likely never experienced any real discrimination in his life his "protest" rings hollow.
    Okay, wait...what?

How could you possibly know that?

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    Just read that people in San Francisco are burning their Kaepernick jerseys. I saw two videos of it, as well.
    They should have burnt his jersey for his awful play since getting that contract, he's getting paid like a franchise QB but hasn't done anything to win this job over a Jaguar QB failure in Gabbert.......he also will not restructure his deal to give them any draft picks back too(Though he has that right) so he's done pretty much everything in the past year to lose the 49ers faithful trust at this point so something like this is compounding upon the frustration. Guy has the physical tools but does not get it mentally and cannot make proper reads and often throws his body into runs that nearly gets him killed.

I think that's what 49er fans are probably mad about, the guy is making headlines with this over his play. Yeah sure his standing as a player has nothing to do with his point but it does look bad when he is fighting in a QB competition and isn't even doing well at it and basically has been a bomb since getting his big deal where if not for the 49ers seeing player after player retire on them, would have strapped them financially. It looks bad when rookies like Winston and (somewhat) Mariota get the position in their 1st years and yet Kaepernick still struggles in quite a few aspects and the former had built forth a suspect reputation in Florida St which in Jameis' credit, he's done away with easily.

At least with Carmelo and LeBron, they are top tier players in their sport and don't get overshadowed by anything other than their play. They also do this in the offseason though Carmelo almost made the mistake in doing a protest during the olympics where as Kaep makes it about his statement over the team trying to get better in a tuneup game.

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So it turns out after reading facebook posts on few different pages he was right all long

vCash
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude's about to lose his spot to Christian Steele Dude signed off the streets 2 weeks ago, Christian Steele! What's next Jake Locker comes out of retirement and joins Steele and Gabbert?

Man has this guy's stock plummeted?

Currently Playing:

vCash
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindy View Post
    Dude's about to lose his spot to Christian Steele Dude signed off the streets 2 weeks ago, Christian Steele! What's next Jake Locker comes out of retirement and joins Steele and Gabbert?
    Steele Locker would make for an awesome tag team.

They still play defense? The Real LT's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vCash
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree; the guy says sitting his Colin's right.

[π: WWPID?] ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you really hated or disagreed with his protest you'd shut the fuck up about it. The whole point was to get people talking and the more this goes on the more Kaep's protest matters.

You Americans never learn.

vCash
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    If you really hated or disagreed with his protest you'd shut the fuck up about it. The whole point was to get people talking and the more this goes on the more Kaep's protest matters.

You Americans never learn.
    Well I wish it would go away , I don't think the any publicity is good publicity is really relevant to this topic. I mean you want people to hear your plight and your message but they are far too pissed off at your antics to even listen to you. You think people are going to sit there and listen to his oppression views when they can't get past him hating America?

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Well I wish it would go away , I don't think the any publicity is good publicity is really relevant to this topic. I mean you want people to hear your plight and your message but they are far too pissed off at your antics to even listen to you. You think people are going to sit there and listen to his oppression views when they can't get past him hating America?
    This seems to keep happening with BLM protests. One side says they shouldn't be protesting the way they are and the other says nobody gets to tell them how to protest. In the end both sides look bad for different reasons and nothing comes of it.

Who's fault is it? The side with the controversial message or the side that refuses to get past their actions to discuss the root of the problem?

Thread Information