Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prem Chat

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Prem Chat

Just a few hours until the Premier League kicks off with defending champions Leicester (yes, that did happen) travelling to promoted, managerless, and seemingly destined for relegation already Hull. Everything is in place for what could be perhaps the most competitive season in memory, with seven clubs holding legitimate claims to winning the league, and an increasingly strong middle tier making every single game interesting.

The two Manchester clubs are the bookies favourites, spurred on by new, world-class managers who have been infinitely successful where ever they've managed. The Pep vs Jose rivalry is legendary, and we won't have to wait long for them to lock horns in England for the first time. The first derby to feature Ibra, Pogba, Mkhitariyan, Stones, Sane and Nolito will be fascinating.

On the other hand, it's largely as you were for the London clubs. Arsenal are nearly unchanged (much to the disgust of the majority of their fans) with Granit Xhaka the only major arrival, no new marquee striker, and a defensive injury crisis to start the campaign. Still, with their unbelievable consistency under Wenger, you'd be foolish to think they won't be in the mix come the end of the season. Spurs too have gone about their transfer business quietly, adding depth with Wanyama and Janssen to a settled, young team which excluding a slow start and disastrous conclusion, came very, very close to winning it last year. Things are slightly different in West London, where Chelsea start life under new boss Antonio Conte, looking to return to the success of two seasons ago, and the revitalisation of stars like Eden Hazard, Cesc Fabregas and Diego Costa, supplemented by the championship winning lungs of N'Golo Kante.

Kante's former team, Leicester, have managed to avoid the complete exodus of players that some feared, with superstars Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez staying at the King Power (for now). Interesting acquisitions like Ahmed Musa, Nampalys Mendy and Bartosz Kapustka will be important figures as the Foxes embark on European football whilst defending their title. Finally, amongst the major contenders, Liverpool will be looking to find more consistency from last season's performances which ranged from awe-inspiring to utterly awful. Jurgen Klopp's first full season in charge will feature two new attacking options who are proven Premier League scorers in Sadio Mane and Georginio Wijnaldum.

As Leicester proved last season though, truly any team can win the league - the increased TV money has seen an improved level of depth to the league, and it wouldn't be at all surprising to see West Ham, Southampton, Everton and Stoke knock over the favourites on numerous occasions throughout the season. It seems like the only thing that can be predicted this season is unpredictability.

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Footy Chat: August

Hull might have only showed up with 13 players, but the 11 that have taken the field have done anything but disgrace themselves. That was a very well organised and committed first half, amplified by the fact that numerous players are playing out of their customary positions. Both Jake Livermore in central defence (a fantastic goal saving block) and Sam Clucas controlling play from midfield have been impressive, and their efforts were capped off by that quite spectacular synchronised bicycle kick goal right at the end of the first half.

Leicester's play has been quite poor, numerous sloppy errors, and a large inability to come up with a second route to goal to counter Hull's deep lying defence. With that said, if Vardy had taken one of the two clear chances created for him by the electrifying pace of Musa, we'd likely be looking at a quite different game.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to have seen the first half, found out too late about SBS and i'm not prepared to give Optus one cent for their EPL which is already pretty bad based on Twitter.

Leicester playing nervously or just as said above, poorly?

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    It's so nice knowing i'm no longer alone

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leicester showing some nerves here, Hull surprising many which is good as well. Great finish from Snodgrass for Hull's second goal.

I'm cautiously optimistic about today's game and this season in general. I mean in the space of 3 weeks, we've announced a new manager, got 4 players in which is good I guess.

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    It seems like the only thing that can be predicted this season is unpredictability.
    What did I say? I don't think anyone remotely saw that coming given the chaos that Hull came into this game in. A fantastic performance by them today, and great credit has to go to Mike Phelan for his organisation under the circumstances. They didn't have a bad player.

I think this showed that it's going to be very difficult for Leicester this season to live up to any sort of expectation. Hull showed what teams started to cotton on to very last last season, where playing a deep defensive line really blunts the counter attack effectiveness - Vardy was almost anonymous for the entire match. They were fortunate to get the penalty which was wrongly awarded, and struggled to create clear cut opportunities in the second half. There will have to be a more definite plan B if they want to succeed.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@HR Well, look in the prediction thread and I predicted a Hull win (not correct scoreline or scorer) but still...

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello gents

I know it's too early really to say who is going to win and whom will get relegated But for me,after the 1st round of games , i think Man City,Liverpool, Manchester United are going to be the 3 stand out teams of the season and you could well add Chelsea into that mixture too for the teams who will Contest for the Pl title and Champions league places, Spurs,Arsenal,West ham , and maybe Leicester will be closely behind them, will be very,very surprised if Leicester Hold onto the title, as i reckon the Champions league could Knock them for 6!

I do think that this season the relegation battle will be really tight though this season and will go right down to the wire.
    <iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" id="chat_embed" src="http://www.justin.tv/chat/embed?channel=gaz77uk&default_chat=jtv&popout_chat =true#r=-rid-&s=em" height="500" width="300"></iframe>

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    @HR Well, look in the prediction thread and I predicted a Hull win (not correct scoreline or scorer) but still...
    Fair play, that was a good prediction. No reigning champion had lost their opening game of the following season in the history of the Premier League!

A vintage Liverpool vs Arsenal game this morning, summing up both teams perfectly; Liverpool as ever mercurial, brilliant at their best but quite awful at their worst. Klavan looks like a very good acquisition though as they look to solidify in defence - an absolute snip at 4 million. They desperately need to sign a right back before the transfer window closes, as Moreno is simply not up to the task and will be exploited by the myriad of pacey, direct wingers that almost all clubs have these days. Arsenal have their injuries to fall back on, but this game was a mini-version of last season for them - great at the start, falling apart in the middle, and then recovering again at the end to give false hope.

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing certainly hasn't changed, Diego Costa is still a complete cunt. Hard to consider any other reason why the referee didn't send him off for that disgraceful "tackle" on Adrian than being bribed. It's just infuriating that time after time his dirty play reaps rewards and helps Chelsea win because he never gets sent off.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As much as I love the Premier League, whenever something like that happens I can't help but appreciate the work that the leagues in North America do to ensure player safety (except maybe the NFL...but they're getting there...). If that happened in the NHL and the referee missed it, there would still be punishment handed down by the league. Costa would be called into a hearing, fined and suspended for multiple games.

Instead he nets the winner and Chelsea fans say "it's just part of the game." Unbelievable.

vCash
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Costa and Kante avoiding second bookings was astonishing. It reminded me of the Spurs game at Stamford Bridge last season where the ref just allowed everyone to have free hits and gouge each other's eyes because they were emotional.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    As much as I love the Premier League, whenever something like that happens I can't help but appreciate the work that the leagues in North America do to ensure player safety (except maybe the NFL...but they're getting there...). If that happened in the NHL and the referee missed it, there would still be punishment handed down by the league. Costa would be called into a hearing, fined and suspended for multiple games.

Instead he nets the winner and Chelsea fans say "it's just part of the game." Unbelievable.
    Well, I think it can be reviewed still, just no suspensions or anything. If it gets reviewed, he could/the club could be fined.

P.S kudos to our fans for chant of the season already.

Sometimes I I I..... JANUAAAJJJJJJJJJJJJ

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Costa did it again this week the fucking prick! I'm happy that the refs are handing out bookings for dissent (this is long overdue, lets hope they keep it up) but there's not much point doing that if you don't give him a second yellow when he commits another bookable offense.

I know it's only early but I think Bournemouth fans have to be feeling a little worried about their chances of staying up. Spending 15 million on Jordon Ibe while Burnley got Steven Defour for half that must rankle.

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hold the phone - Arsene's finally parting with some cash!

He's bought a striker; Lucas Perez from Deportivo, who comes with the reputation of being clinical on the counter attack (exactly the alternative to Giroud that they need) and is apparently immanent to the signing of Shkodran Mustafi from Valencia to help ease their defensive frailties.

Simon Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

£35m for Mustafi is... Fair, tbh. He's not quite at a world-class level just yet but has plenty potential to grow. Only cost us around £6m just two seasons ago. Had we performed better last season we could have pushed to keep him another year but with no European football this season and struggling to reach our FPF requirements, I can understand it. Good luck big guy.

Hope that means no more big departures this summer (looking at you Alcácer). And we need centre-backs. Literally 3 of them.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So apparently Asamoah Gyan is on his way back to The Premier League.... with us touted as his destination. Don't know how I should feel about that, also that we're aparently looking into the possibility (according to the papers taking Moyes' comments in jest as serious) of signing Joe Hart on loan.

Vincent Iborra, M'Vila & a striker would do fine.

If we get a keeper, if its Hart then amazing that we done it. If it isn't, Amelia/Schwarzer/Some GK aged 35 and over who is out of contract will do.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arsenal sign Lucas Perez. I'm told that's good.

Loaned out Chambers. Hopefully he gets more play time and comes back better.

Wilshere loaned out too. I guess good for him? Not sure why they did that.

Bayern want Gnabry. Kind of hoping that doesn't go through. He's got loads of potential.

vCash
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From looking in Wiltshire is your 6th choice in central midfield.
    Xhaka and Santi being 1st choice with one of El Neny or Coqulien if you require further defensive cover and then there is Ramsey.
    It makes sense to let him go and see if he can get a run of games.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus I completely forgot Coquelin and El Neny existed. I'm here thinking "when Ramsey eventually gets hurt who fills in?"

I'm an idiot.

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't believe Chelsea have signed David Luiz back.

Sissoko to Spurs seems like an odd one too, his workrate is completely incongruous with Poch's style. Newcastle have pulled off a fucking heist getting 70 million back for Moussa, Wijnaldum and Townsend.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy butts did Arsenal ever need that win. What a finish.

vCash
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    Holy butts did Arsenal ever need that win. What a finish.
    Tough break for southampton with the missed foul call at the other end of the pitch just moments before.

vCash
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The penalty was definitely there (people saying it wasn't a foul just proves that there will always be arguments over penalties - it was about as blatant as it gets) but I think the referee should have stopped play earlier for Koscielny's head injury. He was lying down for a decent amount of time right in the six yard box.

The Manchester derby was a fascinating game. I can't recall a "top" side playing as badly as United did in the first half for some time. Mkhitaryan was diabolical, and Lingard completely anonymous, and the two centre backs hideously at fault for the first goal. With the half time subs came more drive and determination, but not a lot of quality, and the majority of attacks were centered around getting the ball in the box and hoping that Bravo would make another mistake (which to be fair, he very nearly did). City were hanging on somewhat, but United weren't exactly dangerous. Luke Shaw was really the only United player who I thought played genuinely well. City on the other hand got fantastic performances out of KDB, Silva, Otamendi and Fernandinho - and if not for some wasteful finishing on the numerous counter attacks they had in the second half, could have easily scored four or more.

is not your buddy, guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Prem Chat

What a game. Sanchez with 2, Walcott scores #100, Xhaka with a banger. Tough break for Hull on that hand ball but is what it is.

Poor Bournemouth. They don't deserve what they got today.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Prem Chat

The David Moyes European Tour Express rolls into London town to take on Spurs, bring them points home bonny lad.

#Airport

Thread Information