Thread: Tour de France 2016

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tour de France 2016

I can see this being about as successful as the Le Mans thread - but fuck it let's try anyway.

Cycling is awesome and you should watch. The most famous race of the year is about to start. The three best three-week riders in the world are in the field; the defending champion Chris Froome, two-time runner up in form Nairo Quintana , and Alberto Contador the most decorated grand tour rider of this generation. Us PW posters should be cheering for BMC, who have the best Australian contender Richie Porte and best American rider Tejay van Garderen as co-leaders, and round out the remotely likely winners along with Astana's Fabio Aru.

The GC battle probably won't start until Stage 8 & 9 in the Pyrenees, but for the first week we can enjoy Marcel Kittel and Mark Cavendish resume their sprinting battle on French soil after the German missed last years tour, along with the other fast men like Peter Sagan and Andre Greipel.

vCash
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tour de France 2016

I wonder if we'll see some spectators causing some crashes this year.

Still My Champ
    Thanks, surrender.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    Almost inevitably! I don't think there's been an off-leashed-dog instigated crash for a little while so we're due.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely fantastic evening on the sofa on Saturday night watching the opening stage with a few glasses of red. The big moment came when Alberto Contador crashed midway through the stage, coming down hard on his shoulder on a traffic island. He crashed for a second time overnight, losing 48 seconds on the uphill finish, and his chances of contending are certainly over. Richie Porte also lost over a minute after an unfortunate late puncture, so we're looking at a definite two-horse race between Froome and Quintana now.

Ouch!

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely fantastic how they can ride for 4 hours and it ends up being this close:

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been a really enjoyable race so far - great to see Michael Matthews break his streak of bad Tour luck and record his first stage win.

There's more competition that I expected so far for Froome, with Yates, Martin and Porte all going on the attack in Andorra, but none able to cause any real damage. Quintana is the one that really needs to go hard at some stage on the mountains. He'll get blown away in the ITTs so there's no point him just sitting on Froome's wheel the entire tour if he wants to win.

I can't stand Froome, but his descent of the Peyresourde was truly spectacular. You need some serious fucking balls to ride like this:

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM Punk'd View Post
    You picked it! An absolute farce on Stage 12 - the already shortened ascent up Ventoux largely ruined by a crashed caused by spectators crowding the roads with no barriers to keep them back.

Froome's bike was ruined and his team car so far back down the mountain he actually ran over the finish line:

Thread Information