Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

Edit: Whoa! It's time for a new Match Review Thread! The last one was over 3,000 posts and was one of the greatest fucking threads of all time. Finding anything in there is a pain and will only get harder as time goes on so why not start a fresh new thread? Post your reviews!

The original Match Review Thread: http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=115633

Re: Emperor's NOAH reviews in the last thread I've been doing a lot of reading about NOAH recently for fan fic research purposes. Interesting stuff, guy like Juvy and Vader were wrestling there in 2002. Enjoyed the Marufuji videos I've seen lately, Takashi Suguira, Mike Modest, and Takayama were impressive as well. I know Takayama and Suguira were going to Pride to fight around this era so I'm thinking Pride had some type of relationship with NOAH, not sure though.

But I'm back in a 2002 state of mind. I loaded up the June 6th Smackdown yesterday. I watched part of the June 10th Raw before I fell asleep last night. The thing I remember about Smackdown was a pretty damn good match between Lance Storm vs Kidman, hell of a TV match. Storm won clean with a superkick. It just dawned on me while working on some fan fic stuff that not only did WCW sign Mike Awesome while he was ECW World Champion back in 2000 but Lance Storm was also the reigning ECW tag team champion(Impact Players) when they signed him around that same time. That's a part of the story that usually gets left out in docs and books. So you had WWF rob them of Taz and Dudleys in late 99, just a few months later WCW takes the World and one of the Tag Champs.

Smackdown was all about Triple H vs Hulk Hogan. They built the show around them going at it at the end. Hogan put Triple H over clean, then they redid the aftermath from Wrestlemania X-8 almost where Triple H brings Hogan back into the ring and poses with him. Then both guys were jumped by Kurt Angle and some guy that looked like Diesel.

Got the June 10th Raw loaded up now. The brand split was pretty lame. The NWO was even lamer. Why was Shawn Stasiak still being kept around this late? He had an actual angle with Brock Lesnar that spread out over a couple of shows around the time of the UK pay per view, instead of just having Brock squash the jabrone, little things like that is why I'm not a real big fan of Lesnar's super-push in 2002. Goldberg '98 blew it out of the water.

Anyways, this is the episode where Austin no-shows. Vince comes out and cuts a promo saying that Flair is the reason this show is in the toilet. They set up the match to end the whole 50/50 owner angle. Whole show was just a huge mess in 2002, they just kept throwing shit at the wall and none of it stuck so they would change shit up and drop shit out of nowhere.

What chants just totally killed the vibe for me. I hate them. I don't get the joke or why people do it. Then there is this Trish/Molly shit. ugh. Somebody needs to hook a brother up with some Lucha Underground links. Fucking kills me that I can't find any of the videos of the shows I've missed over the past few weeks. Lucha Underground need to solve their distribution problems and release some fucking DVD's or upload to Amazon Instant Video or something. I'm not a fan of having to track down videos on the internet.

Super-stereotypical mexican Eddie is hilarious to me, especially how every other word he says is essay and homes.

Regal vs Bradshaw in Kilgore's dream match. Regal is Euro Champ and Bradshaw is Hardcore Champ. Both titles were totally fucking meaningless at this point and should have been done away with. I can't believe they were still using both belts this late.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 06-19-2016 at 08:36 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

Read your message in General and hopped right to it Shin.

It's time for a brand new thread - hopefully it turns out better than the ECW reboot.

Raw around May/June is where things got really weird. Like they were trying to placate Austin who was their biggest star, but they kept booking him angles he had already worked. First we got The Undertaker, which even caused the fans to say uncle. Then you had The Big Show, so it was Wrestlemania XV again, except they actually went through with it and Ric Flair was a poor man's Vince. It was all leading to an Eddie & Benoit v Austin feud which was actually pretty interesting and could have got Austin back into the swing of things. But then they decided to mess with things, book him in a gimmicky Brock Lesnar match and Austin was basically done for good.

I could be alone in this, but I didn't mind HBK joining the nWo. At least on the surface, it made a ton of sense and gave Nash somebody to bounce off of. Logistically it didn't make the most sense, since we didn't know that HBK could still go and the nWo essentially was dead in the water at that time. However, it was a small detail I didn't mind. Sort of like how I enjoyed the WCW Tag division circa 1999 even though the rest of the year was largely hot garbage.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Roman numerals so much. Nice work buddy.

I fucking love the idea of HBK in the NWO, but the way they went about it was the worst, most lazy shit I've seen. He takes some shots at Austin in a promo on this show I'm watching now, saying that the WWE put this big huge promotional machine behind Austin and he took his spotlight. I did like when he said that he was Attitude around here before it was a catchphrase.

The match with Flair vs Vince is pretty funny. Vince is juiced out of his mind. Eddie also looks juiced to the gills, almost like he got surgical implants on his damn traps and shoulders. If I ever win the lottery I'm going to make an American Crime Story: The People vs OJ Simpson style series about the WWE around this time. I'm so interested in what it was like backstage working for Vince at this time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we push Wrestling aside for a second and talk about this ESPN 30 for 30 Special? This amazing, I've just watched up to Part 4 and I'm captivated. I love the commentary surrounding the glove. OJ looking all sullen, like "oh shit they got me" till he realises it doesn't fit. Then all of a sudden he goes into Naked Gun mode. So good and the way they've covered all angles is amazing. We're even getting a 5 Reasons Why You Can't Blame Fuhrman segment in the middle of it. And those pictures of Nicole? I've got to admit, I was too young and far too removed to really care about OJ Simpson. By the time I was aware of the situation, he was a punchline. However, those pictures of Nicole really struck a nerve. I didn't realise how violent the crime scene was, and I can't believe the trial turned into such a circus. If you were flesh and blood, you'd be mortified at the way it all turned out. I want to see Part 5 so badly, but I can't seem to find it anywhere just yet. It'll be out tomorrow for sure but I'm impatient and have too much stuff on tomorrow.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the OJ Simpson trial is my new thing. Just like you I was too young to comprehend it all when it was going on, even though I remember it being EVERYWHERE for about a year plus. The big memory I have about it was the day that the verdict was going to be revealed was like a holiday at the school I was going to, everything in school shut down that day and teachers had radios going in classrooms to find out what was going to happen. The whole story is a microcosm of our entire country and society I think. It's all severely fucked up, everything needs radical sweeping changes but it won't ever happen because we're all just a bunch of marks(Brian Pillman: "A smart mark is somebody that believes... that OJ didn't do it..."). The FX series was amazing. I have not seen the new ESPN documentary yet but I can't wait.

I put in what I thought was going to be the June 13th 2002 Smackdown but apparently I mislabeled this disc because it is the June 17th episode of Raw. This is where they air all of the dirty laundry about the Austin situation. Not a fan of how they handled this at all.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 06-19-2016 at 09:26 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Edit:

What chants just totally killed the vibe for me. I hate them. I don't get the joke or why people do it. Then there is this Trish/Molly shit. ugh. Somebody needs to hook a brother up with some Lucha Underground links. Fucking kills me that I can't find any of the videos of the shows I've missed over the past few weeks. Lucha Underground need to solve their distribution problems and release some fucking DVD's or upload to Amazon Instant Video or something. I'm not a fan of having to track down videos on the internet.
    How many episodes behind are you? All the episodes should be up on Dailymotion, just type in the date of the episode or the episode number.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkman View Post
    How many episodes behind are you? All the episodes should be up on Dailymotion, just type in the date of the episode or the episode number.
    Probably about 6 weeks behind. I tried to catch up on Dailymotion but now all the videos lead you to a link, I click the link and it leads to more links.

I've tried to stream the show live as it airs but the streaming site I use, whenever I click on the Lucha Underground button it takes me to the live stream of the WWE Network. I suck at internet stuff.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just noticed some new old stuff uploaded to WWE Network, including AWA Super Sunday(Bockwinkle vs Hogan), AWA Superclash II(Hennig vs Bock), AWA Superclash III(Lawler vs KVE), and a whole host of Vince Russo era Nitro episodes!! I'm talking late 99 all the way through Summer 2000!! I'm going to jump in at the September 13th 1999 episode of Nitro. I'll edit some thoughts on this shit into this post as I watch it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good idea to start a new Match Review Thread even if I am going to miss the old one.

Arn Anderson & MONGO w/ Debra vs. Jeff Jarrett & Eddie Guerrero- Nitro January 1997

Double Trouble explodes!

Horsemen are out first to a big ovation.

The Jarrett/Eddie team seems like an odd yet cool one. I'm not 100% clear on WCW storylines at the time but I think Eddie is a pure face while Jarrett is either a heel or a tweener leaning heel.

Arn & JJ start it off and they have good chemistry. Chicago crowd is HAWT. Pretty sure they are amusing themselves with some anti-Double J chants I can't quite make out. Double A vs. Double J is nothing fancy but Arn's stuff looks good and Double J takes it well. I don't think I mentioned it because bashing Double J is not something I am ever fond of doing but I was a little down on Mr. Many Dimes for a while. He had the most pedestrian match possible with Bret Hart and some of his other performance weren't up to snuff. I had this nagging voice in the back of my head telling me that maybe everybody else is right and Double J ain't so great after all. Thankfully Double J has looked good in all the recent stuff (vs. Razor, twice vs. Arn) I've watched. He sells Arn's punches well. He makes a back elbow look like a shotgun blast to the face. JJ even makes a simple knee lift look face breaking. I'm back on the bandwagon. Eddie gets in and I realize Eddie vs. Arn is a dream match I never knew I dreamed about. Eddie, like Jarrett, really goes all out to make his opponents look good. For example, Guerrero flings himself into the guardrail with reckless abandon off an irish whip. Crowd wants MONGO. Arn, like a true pro, milks it for all its worth before finally making the tag. The roof blows off the arena when Mongo comes in. They seriously treat him like he's 1987 Hulk Hogan. Yeah, it's Chicago, but Mongo always gets big pops on his hot tags. Face it. Dude was over. Then we get some LUCHA MONGO as Eddie hiptosses his way out of a gorilla press slam on the way down. Crowd is distracted. I assume it's because of a fight in the crowd, which was not unheard of during the last 90s wrestling boom. Nope. They're distracted because Syxx appeared at the top of the entrance ramp. In an lol WCW move the camera crew does not capture this appearance. Eddie leaves the ring to chase Syxx to the back because they were feuding. JJ is left alone against the Horsemen. In a weird moment Double J goes all babyface with a bodyslam and dropkick to Arn and then hits the same sequence on Mongo. That was stupid. But the numbers game soon proves too much. If you think this is a just a pro-Mongo crowd who are indifferent to Arn you'd be wrong. They pop huge for a patented Double A spinebuster on Jarrett. Arn locks in a Boston Crab. Mongo slips in the occasional lethargic stomp. Hey, I never said he was perfect. And here comes the shit finish. Debra, who has eyes for Jarrett, throws in her sash to stop the carnage. But because she's in the Horsemen's corner the ref counts this as her throwing in the towel for her team. Therefore JJ & Eddie win by forfeit. Weak sauce.

Verdict- Mostly fun little match marred by one weird JJ sequence and a crap finish.

Also watched bits and pieces of the latest ROH show. Steve Corino cut what will probably be the ROH promo of the year on BJ Whitmer. They are FINALLY fighting after like a two year build. I'll have to try finding that match somewhere. Also saw something called a Juice Robinson. Once is enough. This guy is the pits. He came across as a modern day Inferno Kid. He has a pretty good look but wrestled like a late 90s indy hack with a shitty Dusty Rhodes tribute and high spots that would be lame even on a 1998 Maryland Championship Wrestling show. Shitty Rhett Titus looked like Chris Benoit compared to this guy. And then Beer City Bruiser gets pinned by some tiny NJPW guy I never even heard of. So it looks like it'll be another few months before I waste my time watching some ROH.....except for Corino/Whitmer, of course.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also saw something called a Juice Robinson. Once is enough. This guy is the pits. He came across as a modern day Inferno Kid. He has a pretty good look but wrestled like a late 90s indy hack with a shitty Dusty Rhodes tribute and high spots that would be lame even on a 1998 Maryland Championship Wrestling show.
    Backstory, Juice Robinson is former NXT enhacement talent CJ Parker. From what I saw, he was pretty decent in that role, earning good heat with his hippy/environmentalist promos before getting his arse kicked by the new flavour of the month. When the writing was on the wall, Parker gave his notice and was soon picked up by NJPW. At this stage, he's just paying his dues, usually taking the fall in matches featuring Tanahashi or their junior heavyweight champion KUSHIDA.

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lord Steven Regal (c) vs. Jacques Rougeau w/ Colonel Robert Parker- Nitro 1/20/97

Why didn't anybody ever tell me the January 20th 1997 edition of Nitro is the greatest in the show's history? We already had my all time dream tag team Double Trouble duke it out on opposite sides. Now we have my original dream team (from like 93-94) the Dastardly Customers squaring off. All I need now is to find a battle between my 1998 dream team Hoss Power (Bradshaw & Norton) and I'm set for life.

Pre-match sees a recap of stuff involving Sting & Savage. Schiavone is wearing a Blackhawks jersey. The Chicago crowd is hot for everything in the good way.

This was disappointing and not at all what I want from a battle between Da Mountie and His Lordship. My mental image of a Regal vs. Rougeau match has always involved both men cheating like Eddie Guerrero after a semester in villain class. Plus lots of taunts and maybe a hug at the end just to further infuriate the crowd. It's one of the few heel vs. heel matches I think could legitimately be good. This was none of those things. They lost me from the get go when Regal's entrance theme was cut out so they could show Sting/Savage stuff. Then Regal played a 100% babyface. Jacques intentionally botching the Canadian National Anthem is a good heel bit. US fans are going to boo him for singing another country's anthem but Canadian fans are also going to be disgusted because he gets it horribly wrong. It's the best of both worlds and Jacques Rougeau remains a god among men. So Jacques controls with some clubbering. Colonel Parker trips Regal and we get some more Jacques clubbering. Parker tries again. This time Regal stomps Parker's hand to a pop. Then Regal hits Jacques with some shots and plays to the crowd like a total 1980s babyface with fist pumping and the like. There may have even been a "Come on!" in there. Parker interferes a few seconds later to give Regal the DQ win. His Lordship fights them both off and does some more fist pumping to a nice pop from the Chi-Town crowd. I am less disappointed by the pre-match stuff when Regal's other theme (which is still good, just not as great as his first) plays as he celebrates his victory. I had no idea Lord Steven Regal was a white meat babyface in early 1997.

Verdict- Disappointing. Skippable.

Also caught Tomohiro Ishii vs. Will Ferrara from the latest episode of ROH TV. I forgot all about Ferrara. He's like the ROH equivalent of Prince Iaukea. Ishii is a stoic badass from New Japan. This was a blah semi-competitive squash in front of an unresponsive crowd. Ishii is weird. He no sells death blows in NJPW. Here he sells for some feeble Ferrara offense he really shouldn't be selling for. Ishii wins with a stiff clothesline followed by a suplex passing for a brainbuster.

Verdict- Also skippable

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried watching some WCW Nitro episodes from late 1999 on the WWE Network and just couldn't stick to it. The shows were already bad but they have aged terribly with time. They just did not understand what television was and that if you throw a 20 minute garbage segment out there people would change the channel. I never remembered that WCW had the dude that used to host the original Headbangers Ball, and my god he was terrible.

So I'm in a 1996 state of mind now. I watched bits and pieces of Summerslam 96 last night. Something funny that I always do when I watch shows from this era is like a Where's Waldo scan of the crowd. On this show I found the Chili Bowl kid and Faith No More guy!! Chili Bowl kid was always fucking jacked and hyped to the gills. I forgot all about the heel Smoking Guns with Sunny managing them(awesome). I fucking love the Boiler Room Brawl. I'm watching Vader vs HBK now for the first time in a long time.

I'm convinced that Faith No More guy is a time traveler.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 06-25-2016 at 01:21 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in a Wonderful mood the other day when I realized I've seen most of Orndorff's awesome opera theme, Gary Spivey-inspired stuff. Figured I might as well finish checking out one of my favorite runs nobody ever talks about.

Paul Orndorff vs. Renegade- WCW Main Event 10/29/95

Renegade was a blatant Ultimate Warrior ripoff. I had forgotten just how blatant until seeing this. I had at least one friend who (briefly) thought Renegade was the real Warrior. Ahh, this is right after Orndorff broke his mirror. I think it was during a match with Johnny B. Badd. Orndorff is worried about seven years of bad luck, which, if you think about it, kind of came true. From Big Evil....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Evil
    Holy shit, you're now realizing that Orndorff legitimately did get 7 years of bad luck after getting crippled once in the coming months, and then again in 2000 during the Natural Born Thrillers feud. SHIT.
    I'll add that WWE buying WCW cost Orndorff what was likely a cushy job training at the WCW Power Plant. Poor Mr. Wonderful....

As for the match....some stuff happens. Renegade hits two not terrible clotheslines. Then he hotshots himself on the top rope off a missed cross body block. Sick Piledriver by Mr. Wonderful aaaand fucking Renegade pops right up. I would have really hated the Renegade if I had watched more pre-September 1995 WCW. Thankfully Orndorff immediately follows up with a second piledriver. Renegade does not pop right up this time and Orndorff gets the win.

Verdict- Only recommended for diehard enthusiasts of late 1995 Mr. Wonderful. So probably just me.

Then I watched Mr. Wonderful's exit from wrestling at the hands of Flair, Arn and Pillman. This got me to hate even Flair & Arn for a week or two. And, to be honest, I wouldn't come back around on Brian F'n Pillman until he joined the Hart Foundation. (Edit: That's not entirely true. I did like his short-lived alliance with Austin & Owen around September 96) It's a good segment so I will share it.

December 11, 1995- The day the music died

Edit: Just remembered Wonderful vs. Disco aired a few days after the big injury angle on WCW Worldwide in an all time 'lol WCW' moment. My friends and I were very confused and that's when I realized the Worldwide universe existed a week behind the real world. As far as I know it remained that way until the bitter end.

Orndorff cut a promo vowing revenge a few weeks later. I was more pumped for this than anything else in WCW at the time. Orndorff once attacked a Horseman from behind the curtain with a broom shot and I think that was it. Mr. Wonderful never did get his revenge.

And I tried watching the Lethal Lottery-looking match of Paul Orndorff & Jimmy Snuka vs. Ric Flair & Big John Studd from way back in 1978 but didn't get very far. Snuka was jacked but very bad in the ring, though he did take a nice backdrop. Orndorff & Snuka were babyfaces. The crowd was hot. But the lack of commentary and other things meant I couldn't get through this snoozer.

I also failed in an attempt to watch the famous Atlantis vs. Villano III match from 2000. Twas a slow-paced opening with lots of armwork and I didn't know who was who
    Last edited by Baker; 06-27-2016 at 12:27 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like they've uploaded the complete collection of WCW Nitro on the WWE Network. I'm just so morbidly curious about 99 and 2000, my memory of that period is so vague. I've got to try again to watch through these. I've decided to skip ahead to the episode with the Benoit vs Bret tribute to Owen.

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because if I'm not watching late 1995 Paul Orndorff stuff I'm watching Fake Razor & Diesel stuff....

Fake Razor & Fake Diesel vs. The Godwinns- Raw 12/16/96

German commentary. The more Godwinns I watch the more I realize their entire gimmick was just an excuse to take shots at Bill Clinton. Even the German commentators mention Slick Willie a bunch of times. They also seem to argue over the proper way to pronounce Arkansas with one opting to pronounce it the proper way, Arkansaw, and the other pronouncing it phonetically. I wish I could speak German. Fake Razor is terrible as usual. He somehow manages to botch two irish whip spots and the wannabe Scott Hall stuff bothers me a lot more in 2016 than it did in 1996. Phineas is wearing his red shirt today. Maybe my next mission will be to find out why PIG wears white sometimes and red other times. Fakes get heat on HOG. Crowd is into it with "Henry! Henry!" chants. They pop for a Godwinns win false finish and boo the proper finish. Good job. HOG makes the hot tag after a nice clothesline. It kinda sorta breaks loose in Tulsa. HOG hits a nice looking Slop Drop on Razor as he was setting up PIG for the Razor's Edge. But Diesel follows it up by hitting a dangerous Jacknife on PIG for the surprise win. Surprising because I thought their push was over after losing a tag title match to Owen & Bulldog at In Your House It's Time the previous night. I was wrong.

Verdict- Good finishing sequence but this was mostly crap and can only be recommended for Fake Razor & Diesel completists. So, again, probably just me.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goldberg vs Shane Douglas
    WCW Monday Nitro
    September 2000

Loaded up this episode of Nitro and seen this match just now. Was a short but decent match that made Goldberg look really good. Shane worked over Goldberg's arm early on by taking him outside and slamming it into the steel steps. This was after Goldberg punched through a window and had to have 96 stitches(according to Tony Shiavanne on commentary) almost ending his own career and almost having his arm amputated. Anyways, Shane works over Goldberg's arm back in the ring until Goldberg hulks up and makes the comback by throwing Shane to the canvas a couple of times. Goldberg drops Shane with a weak clothesline and then sets up to go for the spear. Some group of j-brones called the Natural Born Thrillers come out to attack Goldberg before he can hit the spear. Ref sees Goldberg being jumped mid-match but doesn't call for the DQ, the match just goes on ECW style. Shane rolls out of the ring while Goldberg destroys NBT guys with a nice flying double shoulder block. Goldberg destroys Chuck Palumbo and then the other guys I don't know who they are, like six guys altogether, Goldberg looks really good taking all six guys out. Shane pulls out his trademark chain and wraps it around his fist on the outside, holding his hand up high to make sure everyone in the arena can see what he has. Shane gets into the ring and goes to deck Goldberg with the chain fist punch while Goldberg goes for a military press on one of the Natural Born Thrillers. Goldberg drops the dude on his face and hits Shane with the spear all in one fluid motion that was awesome. Jackhammer and that's a wrap. Not anything I would rate with a star rating but I really enjoyed this.

As for the rest of this show it was surprisingly not bad. It was definitely better than some of the 1999 Nitros I tried to watch. A bunch of stupid shit going on, the Russo's Revenge War Games with that three tiered cage, but the show felt younger and sexier and cooler than some of the pre-Russo era WCW stuff.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Natural Born Thrillers! They were a bunch of green Power Plant graduates that included Chuck Palumbo, Sean O'Haire, Mark Jindrak, Meat Stasiak, Mike Sanders, and a couple others I'm probably forgetting.

Jindrak and O'Haire looked like the standouts early on, as a powerhouse tag team, that had a lot of people (like me) thinking O'Haire could become the next big thing. We were very wrong. Mike Sanders couldn't really wrestle, but was a pretty good dickhead on the mic. I saw him as a poor man's Corino, and thought he might progress into a fun mid card heel on his own. He didn't. Palumbo was kind of just there, before forming a tag team with Meat Stasiak, and perhaps it was because Stasiak was so bad, but Palumbo started showing potential there as the Michaels to Meat Jannetty.

My NBT rankings in 2000:

O'Haire
    Sanders
    Palumbo
    Jindrak
    Stasiak

I suppose Palumbo ended up having the best career.

Russo concussed himself in one of those ridiculous cage matches. The post-concussion symptoms were so bad, he couldn't book the shows anymore. So you might have just watched the show he concussed himself, or he already did it, and technically, it wasn't a Russo booked show. Maybe that's why it was good.

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had an idea to make a deep cuts New Generation playlist for Mrs. PI which was unsurprisingly morphing into a Best of Foreign Fanatics thingamajig when I realized I don't really have any Yokozuna hidden gems. Coming to that realization reminded me of Kilgore's contrarian post from a while back in what was otherwise a Yokozuna lovefest. Kilgore asked if Yokozuna had a single great match. After blubbering something about "good squashes!" I recommended a Bret Hart match I've seen others praise. Kilgore gave that match a C rating (give or take a +/-). In other words, solid but hardly great. So now I need to find a Yokozuna gem to prove Kilgore wrong and to complete my mighty Foreign Fanatics playlist. Two options sprang to mind after a quick memory jog....

1-2-3 Kid- Has been a standout almost every time I've watched his New Generation stuff since I started posted here and Yoko vs. Kid seems like something that should work.
    and
    Tatanka- Who has proven to be a surprisingly adept monster fighter in matches with Borga & Underfaker.

So without further ado.....

Yokozuna w/ Jim Cornette & Mr. Fuji vs. 1-2-3 Kid- May 1994- Taped for Coliseum Home Video

Yoko starts by lumbering after Kid twice. Kid easily dodges the attacks. Kid knocks Yoko through the ropes to the floor with three back brain kicks. Yoko is back in. Kid stupidly runs into Yoko and pays for it. Kid would later hit a bunch of kicks. Yoko teeter tottered but did not fall. Kid goes up top. Yoko catches him with a ring-rattling belly to belly suplex for the win. Crowd was solidly behind Kid but they weren't molten hot or anything. Commentary was provided by the strange duo of Gorilla Monsoon and Stan Lane.

Verdict- Yoko remains without a great match. This was barely good for what it was. Yoko never did get knocked down in the ring and it could have used another two minutes or so.

Yokozuna (c) w/ Jim Cornette & Mr. Fuji vs. Tatanka- March To Wrestlemania 3/13/94

March To Wrestlemania was a mostly forgotten one off USA Network(?) special obviously during the Road To Wrestlemania. Pretty cool idea that I suppose was rendered obsolete as your random edition of Raw would become more noteworthy in subsequent years.

This is longer and better than The Kid match but still not comp tape worthy. We start out with a missed moves sequence not unlike one you would see in a Jerry Lynn/RVD match if those guys happened to be moving at quarter speed. Yoko misses an elbow. Than Tatanka misses an elbow. And Yoko follows that up by missing a splash. I'm half surprised we didn't get an indy standoff and respectful cheers afterward. This tiny venue would have been perfect for such a thing. Seriously, this building looks like a place modern ROH would run. There can't be more than a thousand people in there. Vince & the insufferable Johnny Polo are on commentary. Polo has a tape machine playing all kinds of goofy sound effects. Just dreadful stuff. Tatanka gets a big pop off a flying crossbody for two. Yoko then locks in the dreaded nerve hold for a really long time. Tatanka fights out of it and dodges a clothesline but gets decked with a nice lefty clothesline on the way back. More nerve hold. The crowd may be small but they are hot with their long and loud "USA" chants. They also perk up whenever Tatanka goes on the offensive, which he does again with a series of chops and a clothesline or two. Tope rope tomahawk chop finally knocks Yoko down. Yoko does the TIMBER sell. 1-2-NO! Crowd "oohs" for the nearfall. This is a great crowd by the way. Tatanka stupidly tries lifting Yoko for his Samoan Drop finisher. Vince calls it "the Wigwam Bomb." I'm glad that never took. I've also seen it called the "the Papoose To Go" in print form but thankfully don't recall any commentators actually using that. My friends and I referred to the Samoan Drop as "the Tatanka Slam" until at least late 95-96. Anyway, Tatanka fails to hoist Yoko up for his finish. We get a slight botch as Yoko was looking for a Samoan Drop of his own but they couldn't quite pull it off so we got a belly to belly suplex instead. Shame. They recovered nicely but Yoko hitting Tatanka's own finish on him would have been poetic or something and given the match a few extra points. Yoko follows that up with the Banzai Drop to give Tatanka his second ever televised pinfall loss. Good booking here as it made Yoko look like an absolute beast going into 'Mania. The Kid match also made Yoko look strong. You have to remember this was still during a time when heels rarely won clean against top stars and here is Yoko pulling off that difficult feat in two consecutive matches.

Verdict- Shave a minute or so off all the nerve holding and have Yoko hit the Samoan Drop as a dick heel move and this might fall into the recommended for all category but that didn't happen, so it doesn't.

Therefore the quest must continue....

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've loaded up the April 10th 2000 episode of Nitro, "The Reset". These Nitro's sure are fun to watch. It was like a fucking pro wrestling circus. Mark Madden is the true shits on commentary, like Rob Bartlett level shits. I've decided to just skip around and watch random episodes. I'm starting to think maybe WCW wasn't that much worse than WWF in 2000, certainly not as big of a gap in quality as the ratings would suggest. I'm not the biggest WWF 2000 fan though.

Russo opens the show with a shoot promo. He says that his main goal was to take down Vince Mcmahon, but there was too much politics backstage, he knew that the big changes WCW and 'the good ole boy" network would suck, Benoit knew, Eddie knew, Malenko knew, Saturn knew, Douglas knew and they're gone. Whaa!?!

Tank Abbott destroys Mark Madden! Alright! Tank comes out and cuts a bad promo. He says he's going to keep it short and sweet but he doesn't, he cuts like a 4 minute promo saying he's not a wrestler he's a shoot fighter. He calls out the other shoot fighter Goldberg. Based on his WCW work I'm sure pro wrestling fans think I'm crazy when I rave about Tank being a great promo/character guy, you would have to watch his UFC run to get what I'm talking about. I actually think using Tank as a commentator would have been the best way for WCW to get their money's worth out of the guy, he damn sure would have been better than Mark Madden.

This show was so much more sleazy for a WCW show, guys saying shit and bitch, Hogan doing a blade job. Scotty Stiener cuts a shoot promo about how Flair ran all of the talent off to the WWF so he could be a 14 time World Champion, now all of that talent is world champions up in the WWF. Shane Douglas makes his return during this promo and attacks Ric Flair. Nice. I like how they tried to play it off as if he left WCW earlier in the show. Crowd was dead for this though.

Bret Hart citing!

Things are happening. Such an interesting show.

This was actually not as bad as i remember it being, looking back at it now with 20/20 hindsight I guess. I remember back in the day i thought it was interesting for the first few weeks after the reset but I remember hitting a point where I just decided I was done with this garbage.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 07-03-2016 at 12:56 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was surprised how decent WCW was in late 2000. Once you get past the New Blood angle and into the Booker T/Scott Steiner feud, it's like WCW remembered what that it's a Pro Wrestling show and it felt fresh. But that New Blood angle...that was the worst period as a Pro Wrestling fan and I'm so glad I had repeats of WCW circa 96, 97 and 98 being telecast at that time. If I didn't have that outlet, I wouldn't be on PW right now. The New Blood angle was just awful, there was way too much attention on guys like Russo and Bischoff and it seemed like every week was a desperate bid for more ratings. I hated the Russo/Flair feud, did Ric ever have a worse feud? I'd rather watch King of the Ring 2000 and that show sucked massive smelly balls.

I suppose Palumbo ended up having the best career.
    In the US, definitely but Jindrak became a star in Mexico as Marco Corleone. He was a big star in both CMLL and AAA, to the extent he became a recurring character on a telenova.

The WWE saw more in Jindrak as well. He was slated to be apart of Evolution, until HHH decided to round the number down. Then there was a weird phase in creative where every top heel had their own stable and Jindrak found himself teaming with Angle and Luther Reigns. Meanwhile, Palumbo was just a younger version of Bart Gunn. Once they got to the pay-off, they didn't have anymore plans for him. Paul E put him in the FBI, which I actually enjoyed. They were never going to headline shows or anything, but you could bring them in as henchmen for a top heel and have them cost a major star like The Undertaker a match and give them something to do. However, they gave him what many considered a death sentence to any young promising career, they drafted him to Raw. He fell off the radar until his brother became a hero in Iraq (or something along that, that's Chinese Whispers on my part). So in typical Vince fashion, they brought him back as The American Badass. Strangely, it was getting over and he was starting to make waves until they decided to turn him heel and have him feud with Noble. The feud didn't do anything for anyone and once again he faded out of view in the wrestling world.

Last I heard, he was on some A&E type reality TV show where he was doing repairs? That's a better fallback option than most.

vCash
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They tried again with Stasiak in 2002 as "Planet Stasiak", actually gave him more promo time than Van Dam(felt like he spent months without getting anywhere near a mic), he cut some of the most god awful promos that led to some type of angle where he teamed with Lesnar at one of the UK shows(against the Hardy Boys?), a weird little angle that actually went on for 2 or 3 weeks early in Brock's mega push. One of the June Raw episodes i seen he was teaming with Dreamer and Spike against some heel trio I can't remember.

Edit: As I finished typing that Stasiak made a grand entrance on this Nitro I'm still watching. "That's Meat from the WWF!" He gets involved in a Jerrett vs Hennig match.

Double Edit: This Shane Douglas vs Flair thing is like a show long angle on this episode. This is so cool to me but this crowd is dead and has no clue what is going on. I don't remember this at all actually. I stopped watching Nitro around this time, the piece of junk 10 inch TV in my room only went up to channel 13 and it wasn't worth trying to watch in the living room on the main tv with everybody around trying to watch other shit(ECW on TNN was my jam though Friday nights the tv was mine!). I did get TBS in my room so I watched Thunder for a few weeks around this time, also Ripleys Believe it or Not and Movies for Guys Who Like Movies!

Triple Edit: This Kevin Nash shoot promo. Tony Shiavonne on commentary, "We're shooting here". AND HERE IS MIKE AWESOME! "HE'S THE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF ECW!"

Bloody Hogan runs around backstage throughout this show, then while he's in his limo Eric Bischoff rams his limo with a white hummer. Oh my god.

This is a fucking wild episode of Nitro right here.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 07-03-2016 at 01:25 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WWF 1999-2002 was a weird time.

I blame it on Mr Socko. That was intended to be an intentionally bad one-time only gag, and it go so over that it gave Foley a brand new finisher/line of merchandise.

It seemed like the WWF were more open to pushing these 'meme' characters. So we got acts like Mae Young, The Stooges (in 2000...), Naked Mideon, Moppy, The Hurricane and shit shoved down our throats.

I think the entire Planet Stasiak gimmick had to be a giant rib on Stasiak. The guy had molten heat for being weird, and the WWF are petty enough to showcase that and make fans suffer through it on TV.

Strangely, I remember he had a pretty decent sprint against Mosh on Heat when it became a C show. His matches against Test weren't bad either, simply because he was willing to take a few crazy bumps to get noticed and Test had some awesome big man offense at that time (Harper admitted on a shoot that he stole a bunch of moves from Test).

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Natural Born Thrillerz Stuff

*Never saw their WCW stuff but I have opinions on their post-WCW careers.

I liked Chuck Palumbo a lot during his Billy & Chuck phase and it wasn't entirely because of the gimmick. He threw some of the best punches in the company and I loved his Steineresque 'Chuck Deluxe' suplex. He also had a good look. I thought Billy & Chuck were going to blow up as babyfaces in the wake of the wedding and worst case scenario, he would carve out a nice niche for himself as a Val Venis/Hardcore Holly long-tenured midcard type. It didn't happen.

I wasn't into his comeback a few years later at all. Iirc, that was a pretty dire time for Smackdown in general.

Shawn Stasiak as a wacky goofball from his own planet >>>>>>>>>>> everything else Shawn Stasiak has ever done. I don't want to see Meat wrestle, ever. On the other hand, Shawn Stasiak as a bumbling buffoon was fun in an ECW undercard act kind of way.

I had no idea he lasted well into 2002. Thought he was done like a few weeks after the Invasion imploded ended.

WWE Jindrak was a bore with the dreaded negative charisma.

Sean O'Haire had a good look and a pretty fun gimmick with the Devil's Advocate stuff. He also had like back to back bad matches with Benoit & Eddie. I also seem to recall a Rikishi's ass-sized stinker with....Rikishi. So, he was basically Papa Shango in the ring with slightly less fun gimmick. In other words, hardly the BIGGEST WWE BALL DROP OF ALL THE TIMES!11!1!

I saw a bit of Sanders in TNA & WWA. He was awful. Like everything about him was super generic. And this was even before he ripped off Just Joe's WWA shtick. When the most entertaining thing you do is ripped straight from Just Joe you are not a good professional wrestler.

The Search Continues

Yokozuna (c) w/ Mr. Fuji vs. Mr. Perfect- 10/19/93- Coliseum Home Video Exclusive?

We're getting closer but still not quite there. This was basically the Tatanka match with better offense and a slightly less hot crowd. We had the hottest start of this Yoko trilogy with Perfect rocking Yoko with good looking punches and Yoko running the ropes with aplomb in route to a missed elbow drop. Then a Perfect dropkick or two sends the big man through the ropes to the floor. Nice pop. Psychology~! ensues when Yoko dodges a Perfect dropkick. Unfortunately, things grinds to a halt with the dreaded nerve hold. Perfect eventually fights back with more nice punches and finally floors the big man with a flying clothesline. 1-2-NO! Crowd is hot with "USA" chants. Finish comes when The Fuj grabs Perfect's foot in the corner, setting him up for a 568 pound avalanche. Banzai Drop finishes. Though slightly tainted, this is still big win over a two time IC Champ for Yoko.

I didn't think Perfect stuck around this long. Turns out this was his second to last match of this run

Verdict- Best Yoko match yet, but still falls short of 'great' or 'recommended' status.

Tommaso Ciampa w/ Prince Nana vs. Alex Ridge- ROH TV 10/15/11

Caught that weird ROH Rewind show last weekend. They never seem to leave 2011. This was a quality squash. I didn't fully realize the goodness of Ciampa until he was gone. He brought more intensity than anybody in the company save Jay Briscoe. He also had the best knee strikes in the company, which is a pretty big feather in his cap when you consider something like 80% of the regulars and special guests spam knee strikes like they're going out of style. Ridge is a sort of scrawnier Low Ki. Anyway, this is a pretty good massacre. Ciampa stiffs Ridge with chops and knee strikes. It's not a stretch to buy poor "Right Leg's" blood vessels bursting and his brain turning to mush right before our very eyes. Then we get a lawn dart German Suplex while Ridge tries tying himself up in the ropes or something as a defensive move. Ridge takes a good beating. His 'selling' is good, and I call it 'selling' because he's pretty much getting beat up for real. It gets a little crappy when Ridge makes his mandatory comeback. His offense is feeble under normal conditions, but looks especially wimpy in comparison to Ciampa's. Ciampa sells anyway. For a guy called "Right Leg" due to his kicking prowess, he sure doesn't kick very hard. Ciampa tires of Ridge's soft-as-a-pillow offense and soon ends things with his normally goofy Powerbomb into a Back Cracker but, Ridge, to his credit, makes this one look like a million bucks with an RVD-style 'spring.'

Verdict- Cut out Ridge's weak comeback and this would be a top tier squash.

I know Ciampa works NXT now. Is KENTA still there? Hopefully, because KENTA/Ciampa is a match I would seek out were it to happen.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot that you were something of a Chuck Palumbo fan/apologist, Bake. Very interesting stuff coming from the other side of the coin. To be completely honest, by the time Chuck got to the WWF I had given up on him. In WCW, he was marketed as the younger version of Lex Luger, which was a red flag right then and there and it just got worse from there. Case in point, teaming him up with Billy Gunn, the blandest guy in WWF history. I just remember tuning in and the WWF had this cool Intercontinental division with Benoit, Jericho, Eddie with guys like Raven, Taz thereabouts and for whatever reason, they went with the One Billy Gunn. I just didn't get it, especially after SummerSlam 1999 where The Rock seemingly killed whatever chances Gunn had as a serious wrestler. So by association, I never gave them a chance, which in turn led me to losing interest in the tag team division as a whole.

And yeah, I think I remember that Ciampa match Bake. Around that time, it seemed as if Cornette was booking Bennett and Ciampa as his bright prospects. As a result, they were often cited as reasons why the ROH product sucked in 2011. Being new to the product, I didn't mind them myself and thought Ciampa had a ton of potential. I don't know whether it was this match, or another but there was one match where Ciampa gives the guy way too much offence and it sort of killed the match. I'm pretty sure it was another match with Shiloh Jonze or something, but I just remember thinking that it felt counter-productive. When it comes to characters like Ciampa, I don't want to see them bump too much. Maybe one hope spot for something different, but I just want to see this guy HURT people. That way, it feeds into my human desire for retribution and that's what Pro Wrestling is all about, playing into basic instincts.

I notice Emp putting Ciampa over in the NXT thread all the time. I haven't watched NXT since the last special, and it's been ages since the last Ciampa match I've seen. However, I do recall this surprisingly good match with Samoa Joe.

This is clipped, but this was one of my favourite Joe matches of the year. Just an organic slugfest where both guys gave as good as they got.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    I know Ciampa works NXT now. Is KENTA still there? Hopefully, because KENTA/Ciampa is a match I would seek out were it to happen.
    KENTA is still there but he's injured. Or very recently recovered. I recall seeing something about him returning at a house show. Seeing him against Ciampa, Gargano, Joe and Nakamura would be very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    I notice Emp putting Ciampa over in the NXT thread all the time. I haven't watched NXT since the last special, and it's been ages since the last Ciampa match I've seen. However, I do recall this surprisingly good match with Samoa Joe.
    Do I really put him over that much? I certainly shared my love for the Ciampa/Joe match and his pre-match interview. Gargano did the same thing a bit later: quality promo and Joe match. I have probably praised a bunch of Ciampa/Gargano tag matches. When they get going they are super fast and smooth in the ring.

Thread Information