Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

vCash
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi
    Watching it this time I noticed how much louder the crowd was for Hogan and how much more over he was than Warrior.
    Which may have been because Hogan is so popular in Canada. Possibly could have been more even in the States, depending on where they held it. It is still Hogan in his pomp, so pretty hard for anyone to be close to as over as him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
    Which may have been because Hogan is so popular in Canada.
    Does anybody know why Hogan is so popular in Canada? This has always been weird to me. Like the big time pro-USA guy might be even more popular in Canada than he is in the US. Why?

ROH TV Report 4/2/17

*Show opens with footage of Adam Cole firing the Young Bucks from the Bullet Club after last week's episode went off the air due to the Bucks accidentally superkicking him. I like the thought here. Things shouldn't always end when the cameras stop rolling. The Bucks respond by saying Adam Cole can't fire them because he's not the leader of the Bullet Club. Kenny Omega is. Nice little story here with Cole becoming unhinged after losing his ROH title.

Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs. Raymond Rowe

These two are members of feuding tag teams. Rowe is one of their better guys. Hanson was my ROH guy when I started watching the promotion again in 2014 but at some point Rowe surpassed his War Machine partner in my eyes. Rowe has the intensity & explosiveness of Tomasso Ciampa while being bigger and looking like a dude who will happily stab you. I've seen DBS Jr. a few times. He never made much of an impact one way or another. He's tall with Mr. Kennedy hair. All these things have me assuming he is a bland 2003 OVW-type guy.

And I'm wrong! This was actually pretty good. DBS Jr. targeted Rowe's knee like a boss. He slapped on some nifty submissions, did all these dickish knee kicks to break up shitty strike exchanges, and never forgot he was the heel. The best is when he did the old Flair 'atomic drop the knee' spot on a table. DBJ Jr! Yeah! Rowe's selling was alright. Could have been better. Could have been worse. His best attribute is explosiveness and he wrestled a very unexplosive match due to the knee injury, which is actually a good thing. BUT his rare offense did consist of several (injured) knee strikes. Crowd wasn't that into it. Not even a single "This Is Awesome!" chant! But fuck 'em. This was more enjoyable than like 80% of "This Is Awesome" matches. Rowe's finisher sucks. It took until the replay for me to understand what the hell it was even supposed to be. In real time it looked like Rowe picked DBS Jr. up in full nelson position only to put him back down again. And then pin him. Upon replay I was just barely able to discern Rowe's finisher is descended from the degenerate Whateley branch of the GTS family. There's a chance it only looked bad because DBS Jr. is tall but I doubt it. Get a new finisher, Mr. Rowe.

*Footage of Daniels beating Cole for the title a few weeks back with some help from Frankie Kazarian is followed by an Adam Cole promo. His basic bitch indie style wrestling does nothing for me but he's a good promo when he's serious like he is here and not doing try hard shtick.

Josh Woods vs. Brian Milonas- Top Prospect Tournament

I had no expectations for this. I was tired and Milonas' turn of the century fat guy indie look was a turnoff. My tired ass is thinking "How the hell is this 15 year Boom Boom Comini/Mega-looking veteran a top prospect in what was once the most revolutionary promotion in America? I'm tired. Don't think I'll make it through this."

But I stuck with it and this was also not bad! Very smart match, actually, with a clear big vs. little story that played off their previous Top Prospect matches. The commentary team of Brutal Bob Evans &.....Ian Somebody, maybe(?) did a good job with a REAL SPORT~! style call talking about strategies and kayfabe psychology and all kinds of neat stuff. Milonas used his size advantage to control most of the way but Woods was never out of it due to his MMA/submission/kicking background. He'd occasionally catch Milonas with a big strike or flash submission. But Milonas would use his size advantage & veteran presence to power out and go back on control or reach the ropes. They even got me to bite on a nearfall when Milonas used this weird-in-a-bad-way back senton that he beat some jabroni with a few weeks back. But Woods kicks out! Woods eventually hits a big German Suplex and slaps on a leglock for the submission victory. We're two for two so far.

*Footage airs of Bully Ray debuting to save the Briscoes from a Bullet Club beatdown. This is followed by a typically entertaining Briscoes promo. Those boys ain't right. They grew up as big Bully Ray fans and will be teaming with him next week against Matt Taven's shitty Kingdom for the completely unnecessary 6 Man Titles.

*Marty Scurll promo hyping our television main event. Long live The Villain!

*Kazarian is #1 contender to the TV title and he's out to provide commentary for our next match. Meh. He was a 3rd rate indie/X Division guy at best even during his so-called prime and said prime ended a LONG time ago. No interest in seeing him nowadays. Super nice guy though! And what's the deal with his whole "turn on Daniels.... but not really!" thing? It's all very Russoesque.

Marty Scurll vs. Kenny King w/ Caprice Coleman- TV Title Match

This was crap. I want to like Scurll. He's charismatic and good on the mic. He has an actual gimmick and seems like a creative guy. My two favorite wrestlers over the past 4-5 years were early Bray Wyatt & Broken Matt Hardy. Both creative, charismatic guys with gimmicks and mic skillz. Hell, most of my favorite wrestlers over the past 30 years have been creative, charismatic guys with gimmicks and mic skillz. But Scurll's basic bitch indie style wrestling is such a turn off. King is no better. They do moves. It's technically heel vs. heel but neither guy does anything particularly heelish until the last 10 seconds of the match. King has a few nice superkick sells. Not unlike Randy Orton in that match he had with HBK in 2007. And I suppose learning to sell superkicks is a priority if one is going to be an ROH wrestler. Scurll's piledriver was very wimpy this time around. There were some hilariously bad strikes by both guys which were sold. At least Scurll's awesome finger break spot leads directly to a (rather poorly applied) crossface chickenwing for the quick submission win.

Final Thoughts- This show has been on a nice little roll. 3rd episode in a row with more good than bad. Enjoyed the first 2 matches and all the interview segments. Also liked how this show aired matches from several different locations. Gave it a very 80s feel.

*So I won't be attending the ROH show in Baltimore this Saturday. Have to work Too bad. But at least I won't be missing the Broken Hardys.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been in a Hardy Boyz mood of late for obvious reasons. Since I remembered digging their matches with the Acolytes.....

Acolytes (c) vs. Hardy Boyz w/ Michael Hayes- Raw 7/5/99- WWF Tag Title Match

Bradshaw has a concussion coming in. Hardyz had been regulars with the company for about a year but were mostly been confined to Shotgun duty until very recently. Hayes with the Hardyz is one of those things I always forget about. Neither team has their classic theme at this point.

So this was a hoot. About five minutes of all action with Bradshaw's head injury coming into play down the stretch. We start off hot with the Acolytes catching a Matt dive. Then Jeff comes soaring over the top rope with a flip dive taking everybody out. Faarooq eventually turns the tide with his sick spinebuster as I am reminded while I dug this matchup so much. The Hardyz were willing to die for the Acolytes and Bradshaw & Faarooq were more than willing to oblige given the fact that they were the stiffest, most intense wrestlers in the company. Hardyz eventually hit a beautiful Event Omega (simultaneously Matt top rope leg drop & Jeff flying splash) on Faarooq for two. Bradshaw tags in for some of his quality hoss clubbering. Matt targets Bradshaw's head with his already-good punches and a stiff big boot. Jeff exacerbates Bradshaw's head injury by breaking Hayes' cane over the future JBL's noggin. Matt follows it up with a Tornado DDT, which Bradshaw LOVED taking, for the upset win giving the Hardys their first of many WWF tag title wins.

Verdict- My memory was on point. These teams really did match up well. Enjoyed this today every bit as much as I did in 1999. While it was all action, it would be unfair to call it a pure actionfest as Bradshaw's head injury was a big part of the story and you had a power vs. speed thing going on. I actually remember watching this at the time at my buddy Rick's house and marking out over the finish because, while I was also an early Acolyte supporter, I liked the Hardys even more, and it was cool to see two guys I followed from their jobber days (when Jeff beat Razor Ramon!) through their time in Shotgun purgatory finally make themselves famous. This still has my seal of approval.

Hardy Boyz vs. APA- Raw 2/28/00

The Hardys confront Bradshaw & Faarooq in the APA's nifty backstage set up because of an incident that happened the previous night at No Way Out. APA dismissively treat the Hardyz like they're a bunch of snotty young punks out of their element. Matt & Jeff respond by flipping over the Acolytes table! Whoa! That is going too far! It's also signing your own death warrant. Now Bradshaw & Faarooq are fired up. We'll be right back after this commercial break!

This had the exact same start as the match I just wrote about and a few of the other spots, including Matt's Tornado DDT on Bradshaw, but wasn't nearly as good. Whereas the last one was all action with a better story, this one had a dull Acolytes heat segment. Matt hits Bradshaw with the Twist of Fate for the win in about five minutes. Didn't think he was using the ToF this early. He certainly hadn't debuted yet at the time of their previous match.

Verdict- Skippable. Not much to this one. At best it was the pauper's version of their previous match.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's do one more.....

Hardy Boyz (c) & Michael Hayes vs. Acolytes- Fully Loaded 7/25/99- WWF Tag Title Match- Acolyte Rules

This is the rematch from Hardyz taking the tag titles off the Acolytes.

Michael Hayes promo. He sounds awfully heelish basically saying the Hardyz were worthless nerds going nowhere until he turned their career around. Speaking of worthless nerds, that's exactly what I thought Michael Hayes (and Terry Gordy) was from 1987-1999. I was still a year away from discovering the greatness of the Hayes & The Freebirds in the 80s.

So this is more like it. Acolytes jump the Hardyz & Hayes in the aisleway and we get some nice floor brawling. I'm pretty sure Bradshaw is stiffing Hayes for real. Hayes tries wimping out on a Bradshaw clothesline but he should have just taken it regularly because his flinching caused Bradshaw to just clobber him in the head. I <3 Bradshaw even if he is unprofessional as shit.

We finally get into the ring but that doesn't stop the awesome. Hardy ducks a Faarooq clothesline and hits a nutty flip dive on Bradshaw that I totally didn't see coming. Then Matt follows it up with a top rope moonsault to the floor. Faarooq tries putting Matt through the ring with a Spinebuster a few minutes later. He almost succeeds. The story is Hayes is the weak and mostly stays out of the ring. Jeff with his death wish was the star of the match. First Bradshaw throws him out of the ring in a pedestrian manner but since there is nothing pedestrian about Jeff Hardy he ends up taking a sick cannonball bump to the floor. The closing stretch features one of my all time favorite spots when Bradshaw kills Jeff in mid Poetry In Motion with a sick clothesline which causes a bunch of dudes at ringside & Lawler on commentary to go bonkers. 18 years later this guy who in all likelihood should have been crippled by age 30 is wrestling ladder matches on back to back nights as he's pushing 40. Legendary. Shortly after the attempted murder by clothesline of Jeff Hardy the Acolytes isolate Hayes for a double team powerbomb to win the titles back. It's worth noting the Hardyz had already evolved in 3 weeks to what we know and love. They had their classic theme. Matt hit the Twist of Fate. And Jeff hit the Swanton.

Verdict- On par with the 7/5 title change. Maybe a little better. Both are worth checking out.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You said both are worth checking out. I checked both out. You are right. Really fun matches. I liked the Fully Loaded match more, purely because it was more of the same but over twice the length.

I watched these matches and couldn't help but compare them to the ultra-formulaic and trope-filled tag team matches of 2010s WWE. It was such a breath of fresh air because I couldn't predict anything that would happen. Take the start of the Fully Loaded match. They brawl on the outside for a while. Faarooq and Jeff get in the ring while Bradshaw is clobbering Hayes near the ring apron. Faarooq whips Jeff Hardy. Hardy ducks a clothesline, but instead of bouncing back on the ropes, flies overhead to take out Bradshaw. Great surprise spot. The icing on the cake is Faarooq's reaction, jerking his head as if to say "what the hell just happened?" I guarantee you that if that spot happened in 2015, I would have seen it coming a mile away. It felt organic, like Jeff saw an opportunity and made a flash decision to go for it, as opposed to it being telegraphed from a mile away. There were some heat segments but there wasn't an obvious double down into a hot tag. The faces just tagged out when an opportunity presented itself. For example, Hayes catches Faarooq with a kick to the guy, temporarily stunning him. He scrambles to his corner and makes a tag instead of, say, hitting a DDT, staying down for a minute so the crowd can start clapping, and then make a tag. It's these things that make the action feel so much more organic and natural rather then the wrestlers following a template.

The dynamic between the different styles of the teams is also presented excellently. I associate the Hardy Boyz primarily with gimmick matches, and so I don't think of them as especially great tag team wrestlers, especially in their early days. However they are so fluid here, and their teamwork is off the charts. They always know where the other Hardy is and can coordinate their actions on pure instinct, without effort. There were a couple of times where one of the Acolytes would catch a Hardy Boy, then the camera would zoom out to reveal that the other Hardy is on the top rope and flies with a dropkick to take down the Acolyte. The way they chain moves and double team moves together is phenomenal. The Acolytes are great too. Especially Bradshaw. He reminds me so much of the 90s AJPW gaijins with his clubberring ways. He'll take a few shots then just stop selling and beat the shit out of his adversary. He throws out more lariats than Stan Hansen. I popped huge at the Poetry in Motion counter clothesline that Baker mentioned. I also need to mention Faarooq and his endless spamming of great power moves.

The one thing I didn't like about the matches is that there didn't seem to be any rules regarding the legal man. Especially in the Fully Loaded match. Matt and Bradshaw were the two legal men, then everyone enters the ring and it's a clusterfuck. No more tags are made. Suddenly Bradshaw is able to pin Jeff, then the match finishes with Bradshaw pinning Hayes. It's like it was a Tornado tag match where you had to tag your partner in I guess that's just how things were done in 1999.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually preferred the opener which saw the Hardy Boyz capture the WWF Tag Team Championship from the Acolytes. Sure, it only lasted four minutes but it was just so much more engaging and had far more flavour to it. So the story of the match was that on Sunday Night Heat, Kane had Tombstoned Bradshaw on top of the steel stairs. He really shouldn't have been out there and he sold the concussion well, lagging a little giving the Hardyz an opening to hit their fun hot-tag offense. It also played into the finish where the referee had his back turned, allowing Jeff to smash Bradshaw with Hayes' cane, allowing Matt to hit a Tornado DDT and win the belts. In a nice touch, Terry Taylor asks Hayes his thoughts on the victory and Hayes tells him to talk to the stars.
    Poor grammar aside ('allowing' twice? C'mon BP, take a leaf out of Pillman's book and expand your vocab) it sounds like I'm with you guys on the 7/5 Raw match.

WWF Tag Team Championship Match
    No Disqualification
    The Acolytes defeated The Hardy Boyz and Michael Hayes (c) at 11:02

This was a really strange match. Despite being affiliated with the biggest heel stable in the company, the Acolytes worked the match like they were babyfaces while the Hardyz were like pests. Outside of the Clothesline From Hell spot, which was stolen from Edge's spear spot from the King of the Ring, this was a dogs breakfast of a match infront of a crowd that had absolutely no interest in what was happening. 2/10
    Ouch...

Obviously I wasn't as big on this as others.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Glad you watched those matches and offered your own take. That Jeff flip dive out of nowhere sure was awesome for all the reasons you mentioned.

ECW had the same problem when it came to tag rules. If there are no rules why bother tagging? The second match was under Acolyte Rulez~! which is apparently a Tornado Tag until it isn't

As for Bradshaw in AJPW, he worked the 1997 Real World Tag League with Barry Windham while both were under WWF contract which was just the weirdest thing even back then. I've searched for footage from time to time but have never discovered anything.

Hardy Boyz vs. Serial Thrillaz- OMEGA 1/29/99

This is a pretty famous match I've known about for like 16 years but have never seen until now. I've seen tough reviewers give this ****+ and call it the best US indie match of the 90s. It was the Hardyz last indie bout before becoming full time WWF superstars. Serial Thrillaz are an extremely young, almost unrecognizable Shane Helms & a guy named Mike Maverick who grew up to become one of the Dupps. He sort of resembles Colt Cabana in this grainy single cam footage. The Hardyz are wearing their INSPIRATIONAL PANTS~! and holy shit! They're wrestling as the Bucks of Youth! We get some famous Attitude Era taunts like the Scott Hall "Ooh I'm scared!" finger wag and some crotch chops proving once and for all that the Seven Deities are real.

OK, so this was not ****+ and I highly doubt it is the best US indie match of the 90s. The wrestling itself was actually rather poor and Mike Maverick is just awful. It's easy to see why he never made it big. His execution is terrible and his timing not much better. This had its fair share of sloppiness from the other three guys too. I don't often call wrestlers green but yeah, there was a lot of greenness on display here.

BUT it did have a few things going for it. First off, this crowd is amazing. I'm told this took place in Helms & Maverick's former(?) high school and it was basically like Canadian Stampede in a North Carolina high school gym. They were rabid for the duration of this 15 minute match. I could just barely make out a guy in the crowd (possibly our camera man) murmuring "Cotton Bowl....Von Erichs" and something to the extent of "this place will riot if the Hardyz win." So what we have here is pretty much the Midnight Express vs. Rock & Roll Express with updated late 90s moves.

Which leads to the Hardyz working heel in a rare role reversal. And the Hardyz are very good at it! If you've ever wanted to see the Hardyz wrestle as the Midnight Express or Fabulous Rougeau Brothers then this is the match for you. First few minutes see the Hardyz stooge for the faces in classic MX/Rougeaux fashion. Jeff randomly lands on his head in an ill-conceived spot that likely seemed better in the heads of these four men than it played out in reality. The highlight of this segment is Helms doing a bonkers dive aided by Maverick (Helms & Maverick seem to shooting for that Hart Foundation little guy/big guy thing). Hardyz hug excessively and land on top of each other in awkward positions. Crowd LOVES it. All we're missing is Jim Cornette or Johnny Polo ranting and raving on the outside. Hardyz naturally cheat to take over and get heat on Helms. Again, the Hardyz aren't quite there yet offensively but they have the whole heel tag team thing down pat. Helms eventually gets the hot tag to shitty Mike Maverick who comes in as a house of laughably bad punches. We get a ref bump down the stretch. Chairs come into play. Hardyz hit Event Omega but there's no referee. Thrillaz eventually come back with Helms hitting a cool assisted splash from the top for the 3 count as the place comes unglued.

Verdict- Recommended. But more as a historical curiosity with a must-see crowd than as an OMG 4 STAR MATCH~!
    Last edited by Baker; 04-06-2017 at 09:05 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the Hardy Boyz showed tremendous personality against the Serial Thrillaz and proved they were more than just a bunch of spot monkeys. You're right about the Young Bucks comparison, it's almost eerie how similar they are but if you've seen Matt's home videos from this time, it's no surprise. The guy was a huge nWo mark and it's a real hoot to see him, Jeff and Shannon Moore go around and drop a bunch of nWo catchphrases while making the rounds to their local shows.

I would have that OMEGA match on a Best of compilation.

A couple of matches I'd be interested to check out...

The Hardy Boyz vs The Radicalz (Benoit & Malenko) - Smackdown - 4/11/00
    The Hardy Boyz vs The APA - Raw 1/22/01
    The Hardy Boyz vs The Dudley Boyz - SmackDown 1/30/01
    The Hardy Boyz vs Rikishi & Haku - Raw 2/19/01
    Eddie Guerrero & The Hardy Boyz vs Dean Malenko & Perry Saturn & Jerry Lynn - SmackDown 5/15/01
    The Hardy Boyz vs Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo - SmackDown 7/31/01
    Kurt Angle & The Hardy Boyz vs Steve Austin & The Dudley Boyz - SmackDown 8/7/01
    The Hardy Boyz vs Rated RKO - Raw 11/27/06
    The Hardy Boyz vs World's Greatest Tag Team - Extreme Rules 2007
    The Hardy Boyz vs Miz & Morrison - ECW 7/15/08

Okay I got carried away, CageMatch just kept popping up a smogesbord of Hardys goodness, but you get a good idea of what's out there.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    I thought the Hardy Boyz showed tremendous personality against the Serial Thrillaz and proved they were more than just a bunch of spot monkeys. You're right about the Young Bucks comparison, it's almost eerie how similar they are but if you've seen Matt's home videos from this time, it's no surprise. The guy was a huge nWo mark and it's a real hoot to see him, Jeff and Shannon Moore go around and drop a bunch of nWo catchphrases while making the rounds to their local shows.

I would have that OMEGA match on a Best of compilation.

A couple of matches I'd be interested to check out...

The Hardy Boyz vs The Radicalz (Benoit & Malenko) - Smackdown - 4/11/00
    The Hardy Boyz vs The APA - Raw 1/22/01
    The Hardy Boyz vs The Dudley Boyz - SmackDown 1/30/01
    The Hardy Boyz vs Rikishi & Haku - Raw 2/19/01
    Eddie Guerrero & The Hardy Boyz vs Dean Malenko & Perry Saturn & Jerry Lynn - SmackDown 5/15/01
    The Hardy Boyz vs Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo - SmackDown 7/31/01
    Kurt Angle & The Hardy Boyz vs Steve Austin & The Dudley Boyz - SmackDown 8/7/01
    The Hardy Boyz vs Rated RKO - Raw 11/27/06
    The Hardy Boyz vs World's Greatest Tag Team - Extreme Rules 2007
    The Hardy Boyz vs Miz & Morrison - ECW 7/15/08

Okay I got carried away, CageMatch just kept popping up a smogesbord of Hardys goodness, but you get a good idea of what's out there.
    Thanks for the tips. I'll check a few of those out.

Hardyz vs. Dudleyz Royal Rumble 2000 Tables Match and Hardyz vs. MNM Royal Rumble 2007 are also on the docket. May revisit the Matt vs. Mercury 2007 MITB Qualifier which I thought was the rare 'perfect match' and the Jeff/Umaga Raw Cage Match where Jeff is Daniel Bryan levels of over. And all those fun gauntlet tags where the Hardyz interacted with the Acolytes, E&C, Dudleys and Too Cool.

Went down a Hardyz in OMEGA and other late 90s North Carolina indies rabbit hole yesterday. Will write more later.
    Last edited by Baker; 04-08-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: more posting from phone problems

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker

Hardyz vs. Dudleyz Royal Rumble 2000 Tables Match and Hardyz vs. MNM Royal Rumble 2007 are also on the docket. May revisit the Matt vs. Mercury 2007 MITB Qualifier which I thought was the rare 'perfect match' and the Jeff/Umaga Raw Cage Match where Jeff is Daniel Bryan levels of over. And all those fun gauntlet tags where the Hardyz interacted with the Acolytes, E&C, Dudleys and Too Cool.

Went down a Hardyz in OMEGA and other late 90s North Carolina indies rabbit hole yesterday. Will write more later.

- - - Updated - - -

Need to do the same.

vCash
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squeezing in some ECW while I wait for the UFC main event to come on, watching the October 2nd 1998 episode of Hardcore TV, the real shit, no music edited WWE Network bullshit. Speaking of, caught a few old school shows on UFC Fight Pass over the last couple of months and none of the old music is edited out, caught a Shooto show with Filter "Trip Like I do" in the opening, hell caught an Extreme Challenge show that used the Undertaker Ministry of Darkness theme in the opening. WWE Network was superior to Fight Pass when it first came out but I'd say the Fight Pass has surpassed it as far as old school stuff(free PPV's on WWE Network is obviously still the better deal though, especially since UFC completely stopped with the live exclusive events on Fight Pass).

This episode hit the spot. Just the commercials alone, Rob Zombie Hellbilly Delux album spots, one spot had me rolling with laughter was a "Banned From TV: Prison Files" commercial, it's almost like a parody it was so over the top, "Witness prison violence like you've never seen it before!" like some faces of death shit, ORDER NOW!

Anyways, I popped this in to try to capture a picture of the New Triple Threat, Sabu, Van Dam, and Taz, the coolest thing in wrestling in October 1998, surprised that there are no pictures of this online in 2017. This was the show where they came together for the first time. It only lasted about a month, but man it was my favorite thing in the bizness for that month.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 04-08-2017 at 11:33 PM.

ECW: Fuck The Bullshit

vCash
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Anyways, I popped this in to try to capture a picture of the New Triple Threat, Sabu, Van Dam, and Taz, the coolest thing in wrestling in October 1998, surprised that there are no pictures of this online in 2017. This was the show where they came together for the first time. It only lasted about a month, but man it was my favorite thing in the bizness for that month.

That's all I could find. A Google search led me to that picture being posted in a thread here at PW. Posted by me. Kilgoreception.

r.i.p. dogs playing poker

vCash
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such an awesome pic too. I seen that when I googled it but when I tried to "view image" or "visit page" it took me to an ebay listing selling the pic for $60 but the actual picture was gone. Definitely saving that image.

Where the hell was I at for that thread?! What a fucking post too: "For a very brief time, there was once a stable comprised of three of the baddest motherfuckers on the planet. Like a supernova, it couldn't last, and didn't, but they are not forgotten."

Watching this Oct. 2nd episode the set up for them coming together was really well done. Fonzie buys Taz the brand new FTW belt, it's a bad ass fucking brand new shiny belt. Taz likes it so much he's almost star struck by it. Taz offers to buy it from him, asking him how much he wants for it, Fonzie tells Taz that he had it specially made for him because he's the real world champ(at this point Shane Douglas hadn't defended the real ECW world title in a long time). Fonzie says that all he wants for the belt is a handshake, he wants him to shake Sabu's hand. They have this big staredown where Sabu extends his hand to shake but Taz does him like RVD did back in their 96 A Matter of Respect feud. Funniest thing after Taz turns his back to Sabu's offering RVD reaches in and shakes Sabu's hand like a goofball, pissing Sabu off even worse. I don't know why but this cracked me up. At the end of the show RVD and Sabu bring out Masato Tanaka to face the real Triple Threat, they get jumped by the Dudleys, all of the locker room comes out and gets beat up by the Dudleys and the Triple Threat, then Taz comes out to save the day. Crowd chants "NEW TRIPLE THREAT!" as Taz, Sabu, and RVD come together, Taz reunites with Fonzie for the first time since he double crossed him at Barely Legal and finally shakes Sabu's hand. Great episode. Makes me want to get American Hardcore Theater going again.

ECW: Fuck The Bullshit

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore

That's all I could find. A Google search led me to that picture being posted in a thread here at PW. Posted by me. Kilgoreception.
    WOW! Neat pic tho!

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This popped up in my feed.

For a 'modern' WWE promo, this pushed some genuine buttons and the crowd response was amazing. It's crazy how passionate the fans become when you treat kayfabe seriously and get the fans interested in a Punk/Hart match. In the grand scheme of things, Punk has to be considered one of the greatest promos in WWE history.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt Taven/Vinny Marseglia/Silas Young (c) vs. Briscoes & Bully Ray- ROH 4/9/17- Six Man Championship

I missed most of ROH tv this week but I did catch Davey Boy Smith Jr. distract Hanson long enough for Punishment Martinez to dodge a sweet big guy moonsault and follow it up with a chokeslam for the win and this main event.

Taven & Marseglia comprise The Kingdom along with some recently injured dude. They're the (completely unnecessary) Six Man Tag Champions. Silas offered to be their partner for this one match in exchange for a title shot down the road when the injured guy comes back.

The Kingdom have a cool theme, sweet entrance, and call people "Melvins" so I obviously want to like them. Too bad they suck. Marseglia & Other Guy have shown me nothing. Taven has some natural heel charisma and takes a good beating but he's terrible on offense. He would make a perfectly fine 1999 Steve Corino just stirring up trouble and taking beatings but for some reason ROH sees him as a star. Silas also has a fun gimmick as "The Last Real Man" but he too has shown me nothing in the ring since returning from a bad leg injury two years ago.

Bully Ray & The Briscoes obviously rule.

This was about as basic as it gets. Faces control early. Bully Ray hits a bunch of his classic crowd pleasing spots. Kingdom cheats to take control and work over Jay in a bland 2003 OVW manner. Jay eventually makes the hot tag. It moderately breaks down in Tulsa. We get some Silas & Taven dissension. Faces win the titles with a triple team 3D on Marseglia and his hair don't. Highlight of the match was Taven & Marseglia taking big back body drops from Bully Ray.

Verdict- *1/2- The wrestling was basic * star stuff while the Taven/Silas dissension story bumps it up another half star.

*Also watched a bunch of OMEGA & other late 90s North Carolina indies late last week. Will create a thread to write about all that stuff when I get more time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ROH TV 4/20/17

Missed it during it's 17 weekend airings but now it apparently comes on Wednesday nights too. I swear this show is on even more than my beloved Seinfeld reruns.

Caprice Coleman w/ Kenny King vs. Chris Sabin

Went into this with low expectations since I don't like either guy. It was about what I expected. Coleman at least has some cool moves like his boss rolling Northern Lights and the leap up Frankensteiner. He also snuck in a quality eye poke using King as a shield. Most of his other stuff looked bad as usual. His timing is terrible. Sabin brought nothing to the table aside from taking a Diamond Cutter RVD-style....although that might have been Lio Rush in the main event. Can't remember for sure. It was that kind of show.... Anyway, they did some lame indie move trading before shenanigans ensued. Lio Rush came out to counter King and Sabin won with a rollup after more shenanigans.

*1/2- A few cool moves and at least it had a face/heel story.

Roppongi Vice vs. Cheeseburger & Will Ferrara

Ugh. Four more guys I don't like. We're 0 for 2. Lots of lame comedy and weird no-selling. Cheeseburger > Rocky Romero and Cheeseburger isn't > too many people. Beretta had one nice bump. Ferrara & Cheese got a nearfall off a sort of double team Code Red. Shitty Roppongi Vice wins with their almost cool finisher- Strong Zero- a sort of Reverse Tombstone thing.

Jay Lethal/Jay White/Hangman Page/Silas Young vs. Hanson/Bobby Fish/Colt Cabana/Lio Rush

This is a Wild Card match. As a Survivor Series '95 fan I approve. Though it's very unfair that one squad was comprised of 4 faces while the other was split w/ 2 faces & 2 heels. Enjoyed the crowd singing Fish's above average theme even after it stopped playing. But then I got to thinking about Fish was the clear Jannetty of reDRagon and how I miss Kyle O'Reilly. Hopefully he joins Ciampa in NXT before long. Silas was the star beautifully mocking a poorly done Rush/White counter exchange that looked more like interpretative dance and being a jerk to his Jay-named partners. Then he even broke out some of his old cool moves that I hadn't seen him use in ages. Silas Young, baby! Hangman Page got in on the fun too and we had a lot of heel/face squabbling among Team Lethal. Team Lethal eventually got heat on bland Bobby Fish. As is the norm in these things it broke down with everybody hitting their signature moves. Lio Rush hit a wild outta nowhere somersault dive that was not unlike the one Jeff Hardy hit on the APA in a match Emp & I praised a few weeks back. Hangman Page walks away only to be met by his latest nemesis Kazarian. Lethal & Rush end up in the ring as everybody else vanished after move trading. We got a few nearfalls before Lethal pins Lio with the Lethal Injection.

**+ Mostly fun & inoffensive.

Verdict- Blah show this week.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought Davey Boy Smith Jr. was in Japan.

Thread Information