Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by KashDinero View Post
    OK, fuck it, I caved. I just HAD to watch 'zerker vs 'taker.

WWF SUPERSTARS, APRIL 25TH, 1992.

Bezerker out first looking every bit the real Viking. Beard to make a Wyatt weep? Check. Tunic? Check. Helmet? Check. Horns on said helmet? Check. Furry boots? Check. Solid looking shield? Check. And, yes, a fucking viking sword? Check! Yeah, this viking checks out. Only thing out of place is Fuji. Fuji and Bezerker just seem like a bit of an odd couple. Whatevs, it's Mr fucking Fuji, he can manage whoever he wants.

Plenty of Brody immitating Huss' and a whole bunch of wild gestures and kicking at thin air every few steps comprise The Bezerkers entrance. Oh, and a bit of sword swinging for good measure. He also has no theme music. He's in the Post Powers of Pain Barbarian and Warlord category in that he's just way too much of a badass to need theme music. Also, who needs theme music when you have a sword? I'm sure there's plenty of wrestlers who would trade in their entrance theme song if they were allowed to bring a sword to the ring. Come to think of it, how many WWF/E wrestlers have actually come to the ring with an actual sword? Gotta be a short list.

Fans pop when Undertakers legendary theme song starts. This is black hat, black trench coat, black tie and grey gloved Taker. A mad looking and highly animated Paul "Gurner of the Week" Bearer leads the way. Paul and Taker obviously compliment each other far more than Fuji and Bezerker. Taker takes a long time to get to the ring as usual. I won't lie, as a kid there was plenty of Taker air time that bored the hell out of me, his entrances were tedious back then. There have been PPV's (multiple) in th early to mid nineties that I've stayed up late to watch live where I've fallen asleep watching Takers entrance.

Taker is in the ring finally and begins the arduous task of taking off his hat, tie and jacket. It's worth noting Bezerker still has his SWORD AND SHIELD. Taker, being the coolest man ever doesn't sell it.

Fuj' starts the shenanigans by snatching the Urn from the referee who, in a show of gentlemanly politeness, is holding it while Paul helps Taker with his entrance gear. Taker obviously isn't a fan of this and begins to stalk down Fuji. Bezerker waits until Paul's back is turned then sneak attacks him with a solid wack upside the head with his shield. Fuji has taught him well. Mr Bearer goes fllying through the ropes which is pretty rare for Paul at this stage of his life. Bezerker then smashes an unaware Taker upside his noggin too. Yes, six foot six inch Bezerker is such a fucking ninja he managed to Pearl Harbour BOTH Paul Bearer and Undertaker. Baring in mind he had a sword and a shield, so both of them really should have been a bit more wary. Taker and Pauls carefree annoyances and Mr Fuji distracting Taker aside, Bezerker deserves the Full Metal Gear Medal of Achievement for his sneaking about (in broad daylight with a sword). Rather than take a through the ropes bump to the outside, the shield strike merely Taker drops to one knee for a second and stumbles back to his feet...

Taker slloooooooooowly turns around and....

BAM!

Bezerker smashes him with his shield again. In the face.

Taker doesn't go down.

POW!

One more sturdy looking strike does the trick and Taker awkwardly goes down to the mat face first.

So, this is where things get awesome.

As Taker is slooooooowly getting to his feet, Bezerker casually picks up his sword, and...

OH MY GOD HE FUCKING CHOPPED HIM HALF!

Is what I initially thought after Bezerker struck Undertaker with his sword, but it soon becomes clear that The Bezerk One is unwilling to murder the dead man just yet, so he actually only hit him with the flat of his blade.

WHEW!

Actually, don't relax yet.

Taker is on his back with a possible concussion, and Bezerker still has a fucking sword in his hand. Where are the police? Surely whoever let him bring a sword to the ring knew this was a likely outcome and should have upped the security as a preventatory measure just in case shit hit the fan.

Bezerker adjusts his grip on the sword so the blade is facing down. He clearly now has murder on his mind. After sort of writhing about on the floor, Taker stiffens up as if he is going to do his schit up schtick, he's obviously playing posoum. Sure enough, big bad Mark rolls out of the way micro seconds before Bezerker plunges the sword into his black heart. We, the viewer, know that Taker has just defied death because the sword is now sticking up out of the mat on some Excalibur shit.

Rather than taking up the small task of pulling the blade free and continuing this medievil assault, a now seemingly discombobulated Bezerker does the old Foley circle walk then, once he comes to his senses races over to a now standing Undertaker and irish whips him. The two monster sized grapplers meet in the middle for an awkward looking shoulder to shoulder collision that rocks Taker back a bit and he stumbles towards the ropes. Bezerker takes the advantage and clotheslines Taker clean over the ropes in a cool spot. Taker lands calmly on his feet, and, oh look, lo and behold, he is only now standing right next to that no good Urn stealing Mr Fuji..

GOOZLE!

Fuji drops the Urn. Taker still holds onto Fujis throat.

LOOK OUT, UNDERTAKER! BEHIND YOU!

Once again Bezerker manages to sneak up on The Undertaker, this time with a double axehandle off the apron. Not an actual axehandle, obviously. If Bezerker had a sword AND an actual axehandle, he would be unstoppable, and Big Josh would probably sue for gimmick infringement.

Bezerker smashes Takers head into a ring post, then another, before pulling a move right out of the angry heel rule book 101 and lifting up one of the protective blue ringside mats and it appears he is about to piledrive him on the exposed concrete.

HOLY SHIT!

He actually fucking did it

Teeny bit sloppy in its execution, but, damn, Bezerker owned that boy.

In a display of... I dunno, some sort of vikinism stuffs, The Bezerker tears off his own tunic and begins parading around in his black truks and furry boots, Hussing and heavy breathing.

I'm not making any of this up btw.

As Mr Fuji starts to usher Bezerker back to the lockers Paul Beare holds the urn over a prone Undertaker. Suddenly Taker sits up Taker style and sets off about stalking Bezerker down the aisle as Vinceent Kennedy McMahon Jr. goes into hyperbole mode at the announcers desk.

One last shot of the sword still stuck in the ring mat.

The End.

Soooooo, that. Was. Soooooo much fun. That was like an episode of Game of Thrones or Something (like, I dunno, maybe, like, Vikings ), but in a wrestling ring with way worse actors, and a little Japanese guy with an umberlla and top hat.

Go watch this match if you like good old fashioned wrestling fun (and swords).

That was so good it inspired me to look around for my (far inferior) review of the same match. Here it is from November 2015.

Undertaker w/ Paul Bearer vs. Berzerker w/ Mr. Fuji- Superstars 4/25/92

This is the most famous incident of Berzerker's WWF career. I wasn't a Berzerker fan. He was very much the heel version of Hacksaw Jim Duggan. HUSS=HO. Same goofy facial expressions. Duggan had the thumbs up. Berzerker had that HUSS gesture of his. Berzerker also managed to somehow have an even worse finisher than Duggan. Berzerker's finish was throwing dudes out of the ring for the countout. Really. Plus I wasn't even a Fuji fan. He was my least favorite of the late 80s-early 90s Big Four managers, though he was certainly better than Whippleman & The Coach. And I thought The Berzerker was a stupid name. His original name, The Viking, was much better imo. Berzerker just sounded stupid to young me.

So, anyway, The Berzerk One is already in the ring hussing away to his heart's content when GONG! Crowd pops big. It's cool to see. People jump out of their seats. Male & Female. Young & Old. Taker's presence immediately raises the energy level in this building. He really was The Phenom and he had been my personal favorite wrestler for the better part of a year until Flair took over the top spot at some point.

Berzerker attacks Bearer with his shield. Fuji grabs the urn. Taker stalks the villains. Berzerker hits him with some shield shots. Now it's time for some broad sword shots to the back. Berzerker uses the flat part of his sword. Wimp. Now comes the moment which made this assault memorable. Taker is down on the canvas. Berzerker tries to stab him. Taker rolls out of the way. The sword sticks in the canvas. It's a cool visual. But we're not done yet. Berzerker's first attempted murder may have been thwarted but he isn't giving up yet. He clotheslines Taker over the top rope. Take is on the floor. The blue mat is raised. Piledriver on the exposed concrete....

Connects! That move has like a 2% success ratio. Taker should be dead....

But he already is! So he simply sits up like the undead warrior he is. Berzerker & Fuji get out of dodge. Oh, and Bearer got the urn back at some point. I forget how.

Verdict- Fun, memorable segment which solidified Taker as the ultimate badass babyface in wrestling and probably should have gotten Berzerker over as a dangerous nutjob. Normally I'd be all apoplectic about a wrestler no selling the ultimate death blow of a piledriver on the exposed concrete, and I'm still not TOO happy about it, but this IS 1992 Undertaker we're talking about. He is among the handful of wrestlers who could get away with such a thing. Still would have been better if he sold it though. Well, better for The Berzerker, anyway.

The Aftermath- This led to a series of house show matches between the two hosses over the next four months. Undertaker won all thirty-something of them. I don't think they ever had a blowoff on TV. Undertaker obviously went on to superstardom. Berzerker peaked here and would be out of the company in less than a year.

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome you reviewed that "match" too, @Baker. We might not both be Bezerker fans, but I'm glad we can both agree a man tried to murder a man that night. I wanna see more of their matches. I imagine 'zerker took more than a few Tombstone during that house run.

Side note: After a brisk Google I still can't find any other wrestlers who had a sword. Mr Yamaguchi did try to chop off Vals pretend big penis that one time, Brock Lesnar has an ugly looking sword tattoo'd on his chest, and John Cena, Ryback and Sheamus were apparently called The Sword for their match against The Shield at Elimination Chamber 2013, but no one else actually brought a sword to the ring on a regular basis like The Bezerker as far as I can tell, although I haven't delved too far.... I feel like mabye Paul Birchill had at least a cutlass at some point, though.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KashDinero View Post
    Awesome you reviewed that "match" too, @Baker. We might not both be Bezerker fans, but I'm glad we can both agree a man tried to murder a man that night. I wanna see more of their matches. I imagine 'zerker took more than a few Tombstone during that house run.

Side note: After a brisk Google I still can't find any other wrestlers who had a sword. Mr Yamaguchi did try to chop off Vals pretend big penis that one time, Brock Lesnar has an ugly looking sword tattoo'd on his chest, and John Cena, Ryback and Sheamus were apparently called The Sword for their match against The Shield at Elimination Chamber 2013, but no one else actually brought a sword to the ring on a regular basis like The Bezerker as far as I can tell, although I haven't delved too far.... I feel like mabye Paul Birchill had at least a cutlass at some point, though.
    And thus a new project was born.....

Didn't Tiger Jeet Singh wield a sword?

There was also an early 2000s Midwestern indie guy whose name escapes me that did a knight gimmick. His catchphrase was "Slay the dragon!" There's at least a 50/50 chance that guy brought a sword to the ring. And sword or not, a guy doing a knight gimmick should be better known. I kind of hate myself for not remembering his name.

Forthwith to google without tarry I doth proceed!

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    And thus a new project was born.....

Didn't Tiger Jeet Singh wield a sword?
    Good shout. I'm pretty sure he did.

There was also an early 2000s Midwestern indie guy whose name escapes me that did a knight gimmick. His catchphrase was "Slay the dragon!" There's at least a 50/50 chance that guy brought a sword to the ring. And sword or not, a guy doing a knight gimmick should be better known. I kind of hate myself for not remembering his name.
    What an awesome catchphrase.

Forthwith to google without tarry I doth proceed!
    Do me proud, bro. I'm sure you'll prevail where my laziness failed me.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our Berzerker fan is at it again.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/

The story about watching that 1992 Battle Royal with his friends is fantastic.

Watched Broken Hardys vs. Bucks of Youth from a recent ROH show. This was more of an abbreviated Raw match/moment than an epic PPV showdown. Hardys showed up announced and challenged the champ Bucks. Crowd was hot. Bucks hit some nice superkicks and simultaneous 450 splashes. Then they dickishly hit the Hardys own Twist of Fate/Swanton finishing combo. 1-2-NO! Not enough. Hardys came back to hit the same sequence and win the belts to a big pop. Their NEW match from a few years ago is the one to check out if you want quality wrestling action but this was a fun moment. I love that the Hardys are super over in previously hostile ROH of all places in their old age. And, hey, Bubba Ray Dudley showed up on the same show! May have to check out ROH again.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly an interesting time for ROH. Hopefully all these signings snap them out on being NJPW's B-Show and we get some actual storylines moving forward.

It's been awhile since I've watched any wrestling but I wanted to touch on this Wrestlemania card and see if I've got it right...

So Brock Lesnar vs Bill Goldberg is based on an advertisement for a WWE 2K game where Brock was reminded that he's conquered everybody...except for Goldberg. So he decides to beat up 49-year old Goldberg in-front of his son, only to be surprised that Goldberg is still an ass-kicker. Apparently it shocked everybody, including Bill who realises he can still go. He tries to win the Rumble, fails but because of Jericho's stupidity is granted a WWE Championship match against Kevin Owens at Fastlane. Goldberg wins...again...albeit it was because Owens treated the match like a joke and got distracted at the worst possible time. So Goldberg flukes a WWE Championship victory, the WWE crowd recognises this and Brock knowing the time to strike has a Wrestlemania Championship match despite doing nothing to earn it. Again, the biggest match on the show started because Goldberg promoted a video game and Brock threw out a challenge.

Cut to Wyatt-Orton, Randy Orton has Bray Wyatt beaten at No Mercy when all of a sudden, surprise, Luke Harper is back and Wyatt wins. Being duped and realising how boring he is, Orton decides to join the Wyatts basically on a lark and after winning the Rumble and exacting his revenge on Harper at Elimination Chamber decides to burn down Bray's old home because fuck Bray Wyatt. Essentially the whole thing was portrayed as this genius Machiavellian plan by Orton, but really it just made Bray look like a dumb arse and we've got this cold WWE Championship match at Mania.

Meanwhile the former champion AJ Styles who has been absolutely dominating SmackDown since the inception of the brand split finds himself with nobody to face. So instead of just sucking it up and signing autographs at the local comic book store, he decides to challenge the General Manager of SmackDown to a fight for being an awful match-maker. This is one of those angles that only makes sense in Pro Wrestling.

The other former champion, John Cena has found himself in a bitter rivalry with The Miz who has a penchant for running his mouth. I actually think The Miz maybe one of the best characters of the past year. For so long, The Miz was this washed up performer who was probably better off producing a podcast than getting in the ring. His best days were behind him and it appeared he was going to have to find something else to do. Then along comes his wife Maryse and together they become the power couple of SmackDown. It doesn't matter what odds The Miz faces, he's got his wife by his side and she usually finds a way to turn the tables. They've been a power couple, but despite being one of the dominant forces on TV, they have a budding rivalry with one of the match-makers on SmackDown and never get the opportunities that others do. The Miz is frustrated, so he heads right to the top and calls out of all people John Cena. At this stage, Cena is an easy target, everybody whinges about Cena but nobody has the timing of the Miz. The Miz knows that if he can entice Cena into a fight, he'll receive that juicy Wrestlemania bonus and help restore his brand that for so long had been sagging. The Miz is a businessman, and he's one of the most conniving and smartest in the game. He's essentially the Littlefinger of SmackDown and in time would not be surprised if he finished on top.

Over to Raw and we've got The Undertaker and Roman Reigns. Reigns had a really indifferent 2016. He was suspended for a wellness violation, the crowd continues to hate him and he just cannot win the big marquee matches. After getting destroyed week after week by the colossus Braun Strowman, Reigns finally comes out on top with a hard fought victory and in an instant puts himself in the Wrestlemania conversation with The Undertaker. At this stage, The Undertaker is just an old man who on one night every year happens to stumble on these magic powers that makes him near invincible at Wrestlemania. I guess it was apart of the magic urn, I'm not sure but it appears this year Roman Reigns is set to prove himself against one of the biggest obstacles in the WWE in the Undertaker.

HHH-Rollins is an angle that has been YEARS in the making, but has been handled really weirdly in recent times. So Seth Rollins returned from injury and basically told the fans not to cheer for him. He then went to Shane and Stephanie like a begger and asked for free hand-outs which Shane was all too happy to give because well he's a bad match-maker, AJ really has a point. Seth receives a shot against Roman and wins only for Dean to cash in his Money in the Bank and steal the title from Seth. Seth doesn't think it's a big deal and just keeps receiving hand out after hand out. Everytime he receives a title opportunity he fails when in the end, Ambrose takes the title and is all like 'peace I'm taking this to the Blue Brand'. Without a championship, Stephanie in her infinite wisdom tries to out-do Shane by making a Universal Championship and once again gives Seth a hand-out by having him work in the final...where of course he fails. However in typical Seth fashion, the other guy is injured so he thinks he's going to win the championship by forfeit. Steph at this point has had enough, Seth is like that bum who won't move out and Steph decides to teach him a lesson. They stage this four-way tournament, and Steph sends down HHH at a critical juncture where HHH chooses Kevin Owens of all people over Rollins. Owens at this point is a condescending sarcastic selfish performer who really shouldn't be representing the company, but HHH is so sick of Seth's shot that he'd rather Owens over Seth. Seth is livid, tries to win the belt back, can't. He then represents Team Raw in a highly competitive Survivor Series match against SmackDown and loses. Then he tries to enter the Royal Rumble and once again fails. At this stage he's had enough and decides to blame everything on HHH. It's HHH's fault he can't win the big one, it's HHH's fault he isn't over, all this blaming. However, HHH isn't having any of that and decides to take one of the best wrestlers on his roster in Samoa Joe to sort it out for him. Joe comes in...and injures Seth in their first confrontation. Now it's a question of whether Seth will be at Wrestlemania and whether he'll be fit enough to take on HHH who is just waiting around for this guy to get his act together.

Speaking of Owens, he maybe the worst WWE Champion in company history. Where as other wrestlers found ways to win on their own accord whether it be through cheating or unfair match stipulations (you lost the WWE Championship because you fell through a table...) Owens relies on others to get the win for him. First there was HHH, but then he buddies up with a future Hall of Famer in Chris Jericho, promises to make him relevant again and has him interfere in all of his matches, essentially turning them into 2-1 handicap matches. It doesn't matter the situation, Jericho would find a way and if it wasn't Jericho it was Strowman. Owens had it all worked out and was having the time of his life until he got greedy. He couldn't stand what was happening with him and Jericho and was struggling to see the benefit when Jericho is putting him in matches against anomalies like Goldberg. So in one fateful segment, Owens beats the ever living shit out of Jericho and decides that he's going to make it on his own. Sink or swim now is the time for Owens....he loses in 20 seconds to a 50-year old Goldberg and confirms that he was by far the worst WWE Champion of all-time.

Is it just me, or outside of Miz/Cena, the WWE are really having a hard time booking Wrestlemania?

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Delirious & Pete have me watching ROH again. No idea how long this will last as I'm a lot busier now than the last time I tried this a few years ago and my attention span for wrestling is shorter than ever but we'll run with it for the time being.

ROH TV 3/19/17

Beer City Bruiser & Silas Young vs. Will Ferrara & Cheeseburger

Yeah, I totally stuck with this show because my boys Silas & BCB were out first. Fact. Had it been, like, Kazarian or something this would have been the shortest of all my short-lived projects Remember when they tried pushing Ferrara? Yeah, I guess that didn't take. Seems like the crowd has tired of Cheeseburger as they chanted for Silas over the former cult favorite. Basic small faces vs. bigger heels tag action. Silas really needs to stop doing fancy stuff. It doesn't fit it his character and, while he was deceptively athletic before his knee injury a few years back, he's not anymore, and his 'athletic' stuff looks like crap. Speaking of crap, Cheeseburger's Shotei says hello. Jushin Liger turning heel on 'Burger for making his move a joke would earn a few of my dimes. Stuff happens and BCB scores the pin(!) on 'Burger with a top rope splash.

Josh "The Goods" Woods vs. "The Heir Apparent" Chris Larusso- Top Prospect Tournament

Woods and his stupid haircut are introduced first and he comes across as a douchey bro type in the best possible way. An easy guy to boo. Yet then LaRusso with his rocker hair and young Chris Jericho pants is introduced as "The Heir Apparent" and that's a pretty heelish nickname too. LaRusso is a hometown kid (they're in Pittsburgh-city of champions), and the crowd wants to cheer their guy, yet they stupidly never go full heel vs. face. Anyway, the MMA inspired Woods was the better guy. He even reminded me of Taz at times with amateur style takedowns and some nice suplexes. LaRusso has a nice dropkick and little else. Woods eventually wins by ref stoppage after a high kick and some ground & pound. Woods could be a keeper and he seems to be the guy they're pushing in this thing. Woods/O'Reilly in a Proving Ground type match a few months down the road could be fun. Too bad O'Reilly left the promotion.

Lio Rush vs. Kenny King w/ Caprice Coleman

Rush was the 2016 Top Prospect winner. He's tiny. About Will Ferrara sized. I think this is my first time seeing him in action which just goes to show how far out of the loop I have once again gotten. King & Coleman are part of a heel stable. Coleman dresses like Faarooq circa 1997. First 90% of this was a typical dull ROH movefest but I actually got into it down the stretch after King took a sick bump off a Rush reverse frankensteiner. Lio followed it up with the Frog Splash for 2.9 and I totally bought that as a finisher due to BCB winning with it earlier. Well done, ROH. King eventually comes back to hit Catatonic-style move for the win. Post-match sees King & Coleman berate Rush (who they had been recruiting until he turned them down) until some chubby hoss comes out to even the odds for Rush. Chubby Hoss Guy then turns on Rush which I totally saw coming. Did Vince Russo ruin wrestling? Probably....Anyway, Chubby Hoss guy joins King & Coleman. This segment gets a thumbs up for having an actual angle. Oh, and Rush is also affiliated with the Motor City Machine Guns. And commentator guy I didn't recognize referenced Perry Saturn. Yep.

Jay Briscoe vs. Jay White

Jay B is/was one of their better guys. He rarely fails to deliver. First time seeing the other Jay. This promotion has entirely too many Jay's. Not to mention Adam's & Matt's. We need some Loser Loses Their First Name matches. Other Jay has good size and bears some resemblance to a young Chris Harris (who totally didn't suck!). J. White will be in NXT/WWE within a few years. Trust me. This was the opposite of the last match in that I quite enjoyed the first 90%. It was much slower paced than your typical ROH match. One reason I enjoy(ed) Jay Briscoe so much was because he'd actually slow it down instead of just going crazy with move-move-move. His headbutts, punches and kicks are a class above everybody else on this particular episode. White mostly takes a beating, though he did slip in some terrible European Uppercuts and nice suplexes. Luckily Jay Briscoe showed him out it's done Euro Uppercut-wise. This was ALMOST a legit good match but things got stupid down the stretch after White got put through a table with shitty no-selling Fighting Spirit crap and even a dreaded one count. Jay Briscoe eventually puts away the young lion with a Lariat. It was White's first defeat in 9 months with the company. This was also a bit of a grudge match as a previous encounter went to a time limit draw.

Verdict- Not a bad show, actually. All the matches were flawed but I didn't outright hate any of them. Woods & especially White showed potential. We got an actual angle. J. Briscoe still has it. Could have used a segment or two though. It was just match-match-match-match. No interviews, recaps, and not much in the way of sports entertainment. But, hey, some people like that sort of no-frills wrestling. Commentary was provided by some guy named Ian and a rotating group of wrestlers- Bob Evans, a Motor City Machine Gun & Mark Briscoe, with M. Briscoe being the best of the bunch. Plan on watching again next week. They're coming to Baltimore April 8th. I might go if I don't have any other plans and some combination of the Hardys, Bully Ray & Beer City Bruiser are booked.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, how did I miss this in the New Post feed? Fun recap as always, I should point out that these set of tapings pre-date the Hammerstein Ballroom show where the Hardys and Bully Ray joined the promotion. Next week's show may also be from the same set of tapings, I'm unsure entirely. I like Rush, the guy makes up for his lack of size and works a nice pace without looking too sloppy. He also isn't afraid to try things in his matches and while it didn't work at the recent show in Sam's Town with Scurll (where I thought he came across as an idiot) there have been other instances where his story-telling has set him apart from others of similar ability.

I'm sure they mentioned it, but Jay White is a Young Boy from NJPW currently on loan to ROH to work on his in-ring ability before he's given a greenlight push in NJPW. He's OK, he's got a lot of the fundamentals down, he just needs to come up with some spots that sets him apart from other guys. So far he comes off like a bland Juice Robinson.

Sabu vs Tazmaniac October '93
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUcPfACC58k

Sabu makes a strong first impression, hitting an array of high-risk offence and getting over his character as a mad-man. I like the way Sabu sold in his match and how it was able to get his character over. Sabu picks him up an ankle injury which he attempts to shrug off by hitting more high-risk offence, only to make the injury worse. Not only does his risky behaviour illicit sympathy, it also puts him over as a tough SOB that you wouldn't want to mess with.

At 8 minutes and with Styles & Dangerously calling the action, it's an easy watch.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Damn, how did I miss this in the New Post feed? Fun recap as always, I should point out that these set of tapings pre-date the Hammerstein Ballroom show where the Hardys and Bully Ray joined the promotion. Next week's show may also be from the same set of tapings, I'm unsure entirely. I like Rush, the guy makes up for his lack of size and works a nice pace without looking too sloppy. He also isn't afraid to try things in his matches and while it didn't work at the recent show in Sam's Town with Scurll (where I thought he came across as an idiot) there have been other instances where his story-telling has set him apart from others of similar ability.

I'm sure they mentioned it, but Jay White is a Young Boy from NJPW currently on loan to ROH to work on his in-ring ability before he's given a greenlight push in NJPW. He's OK, he's got a lot of the fundamentals down, he just needs to come up with some spots that sets him apart from other guys. So far he comes off like a bland Juice Robinson.
    Their taping schedule is awful and has been for years. This will sound rich coming from me but they need to realize it's 2017 and act accordingly.

Can't remember if they mentioned it but I knew White was a NJPW young boy. I do pay SOME attention to things That match was mostly him taking a beating and peppering in some comebacks. Had a few nice deadlift suplexes and showed good fire. Maybe a bit generic at the moment but the kid definitely has a future.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Days of Rave

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Has any wrestler ever had three feuds in a single year as great as my man Jimmy Rave did in 2005 ROH against Punk, Styles and w/ Embassy vs. Generation Next? I sure can't think of anybody else off the top of my head. Crown Jewel 4 Life.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingInTheNorth View Post
    He really was one of the best heels ever. Because he WAS good enough to wrestle on that higher level, but he knew it would get him more heat if he DIDN'T. He got over as a heel because he wasn't as tough or as good a wrestler or as badass as the others, he was a slimy fucking scumbag who sprayed people in the eyes with bugspray and hid behind a dog and pony show and choked people out with a chain (Until that feud with Nigel in 06 where he suddenly became a badass).
    This is all true and it's time I write more about "The Crown Jewel of the Embassy" Jimmy Rave. Rave is the 3rd guy in my indie holy trinity. I've covered the other two, Daniels & Teddy, pretty extensively, and even wrote a bunch about local indie heroes Tom Brandi & Christian York, but I haven't really dug deep into the greatness of Jimmy Rave aside from occasionally reminding people The Embassy is the best thing ROH ever did and Jimmy Rave was the best part of The Embassy. Here I will review a Rave match every day until I get bored and move onto something else.

Rave started out during the big indie boom as a 2nd or more likely 3rd tier indie darling based out of NWA Wildside, which also produced AJ Styles. Rave was good enough to get booked in the big indies of the day like ROH, IWA-MS and CZW but not really good enough to actually get over or make anybody care about him. He had the style down well enough but something was missing....

That all changed when Prince Nana brought him into The Embassy. Rave embraced his new heel role and Gabe frankly booked him superbly by putting him over AJ Styles & CM Punk in massive upsets on back to back nights. Rave was now a made man who pulled off the almost impossible feat of generating real heat from the ROH audience. People legit hated him for a while there. The toilet paper showers and "Die Jimmy Die" chants would soon become a part of ROH lore.

I've never been one for star ratings but every so often I'd see a match and think to myself "Damn. That was a five star match." It's happened maybe 50 times over the years. Two of those occasions involved "the guy who can't wrestle" Jimmy Rave- vs. Punk in their blowoff cage match and w/ Embassy vs. Generation Next in Steel Cage Warfare. The Punk match is like the famous Bret/Owen cage match. Only bloodier, more violent, and therefore better. And I could make a pretty strong argument for Steel Cage Warfare > Any NWA/WCW War Games. Yeah, I went there. SCW had cooler moves, more stories, probably a better build, and better booking than any NWA/WCW War Games. While not Jimmy Rave related, it also featured an all time great heel performance from Alex Shelley.

I'll share one more cool Jimmy Rave story before getting on with an actual Match Review. I went to a CZW show not long after Rave joined the Embassy. He wasn't quite there yet but I was already on the bandwagon, so I cheered for my latest indie darling. Rave singled me out and gave me the business for daring to cheer him. I wish I could say he gave me a "Shut up, fatboy!" but my fatboy phase wasn't until 2013-2015 (not coincidentally when I was posting the most at PW ) so he couldn't. Though he MIGHT have called me a nerd (can't remember for sure), so that's something. Anyway, the point is Rave gave me the business for cheering him like the true heel God he already was.

vCash
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jimmy Rave w/ Prince Nana vs. Pelle Primeau- ROH 3/25/06

Damn. Hard to believe this was 11 years ago today. Time flies.

Primeau was a tiny ROH school graduate and a good jobber who wasn't afraid to take a beating. Could have easily developed into their version of Mikey or Spike had he stuck around.

Rave gets the toilet paper shower and "Die Jimmy Die" chants. He responds accordingly. Rave, who will never be accused of being a big man, towers over the diminutive Primeau.

This is a quality two minute squash. Kind of surprising to be honest. I didn't really picture/remember Rave as a good squasher. In my head he is always the ROH Honkytonk Man- a perpetual heel underdog having to rely on cheating and smarts to overcome his 'better' opponents. But here he absolutely abuses Primeau with awesome punches and stiff chops while the crowd heckles him. Primeau gets one brief flurry of offense capped off by a nice springboard crossbody block. Rave kicks out at 2 and drills Primeau with an awesome Spear. I had forgotten about Rave's sneaky good Spear. The lanky Rave doesn't look like a guy who would throw a good Spear but he most certainly does. Rave follows it up with a Pedigree (Greetings From Ghana) for the win. See, because that cowardly thief and awful mentor AJ Styles stole the Rave Clash, renamed it the "Styles Clash" (ugh!), and unfortunately defeated Rave in a match where the loser could no longer use the RAVE Clash Jimmy invented. Undeterred, our troll hero decided to borrow the Pedigree from HHH since Trips was loathed by the ROH fanbase. Just another reason why Jimmy Rave > Your Favorite Wrestler.

Verdict- Good squash

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've seen Rave a bunch of times in ROH (don't remember specific matches, maybe one against BJ Whitmer?) but not much about him grabbed my attention. The toilet paper treatment was always fun to watch, and his spear, but nothing else stood out. That was a decent squash but it's going to take a lot more for me to hop on the bandwagon.

vCash
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas vs Kings of Wrestling (w/Shane Hagadorn)
    ROH Glory by Honor 2010
    9/11/10

This was World's Greatest Tag Team ROH debut, and Delirious wasted little time, having them face the tag team champions straight up.

I'm not sure how wise it was to book this match. As an exhibition, this was an enjoyable twenty minute showcase, but where were they planning to take WGTT go from there? They worked a twenty minute back and forth match where they hit all their signature spots and still fell short. The fans got their fill and then some, expecting them to get invested in the leapfrog suplex and guillotine leapfrog was farfetched. Either they needed to be protected with smart booking, or they had to realise the situation they were facing and change up their matches.

Also thought the match exposed how poor they were as babyfaces. Shelton sold the beating well, but behaved like a jerk during the early exchanges while Haas showed absolutely no fire. The finish wasn't great either, with them doing the deal where Haas had his version of the Boston Crab cinched in, only for Hero to load up his elbow pad and come off the top rope, allowing Claudio to take the pin. It just felt too ham-fisted and again, I'm not sure how wise it was to turn Haas' finisher against him like that.

If it's any consolation, the WGTT weren't the weak links of this match. Claudio was lost through out the match, relying heavily on his sloppy variation of the European Uppercut. Hero tried his best to salvage the match, taking some impressive bumps, moving around the ring well and building some good heat for Benjamin, but the Kings of Wrestling definitely took a back-seat in this encounter.

Thread Information