Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    There is a countdown of ECW's greatest matches over on the wrestlingclique forums. I've been watching a few matches trying to finalize my list.
    You cheating on us, you dirty slut?!

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
    You cheating on us, you dirty slut?!
    I'm a whore for ECW! Wrestlingclique is a very cool forum, I've always liked it but for whatever reasons just never really got into posting over there. All of my friends are here I guess, I've probably only posted a hundred or so posts over there since 2012, started a couple of fan fics that never got off the ground(UWF: Survival, PRIDE Never Die!, AFL: Full Color Football). I don't really post on pro wrestling forums much anymore but when I do I stick to PW, it's like the bar in Cheers or Arlen in King of the Hill to me, we've all been through so much together this is my little cubby hole on the internet I guess. Also sometimes post on the Sherdog boards and the WON/F4W forums(though I need to renew that one) with the same name if anybody ever wants to hit me up over there.

Disc 2 of The Rise and Fall of ECW

I watched this today and it is a hell of a set of ECW matches, probably pound for pound better than any of the ECW Unreleased sets or Bloodsport(!) or the other one I forget(Extreme Rules of something?). Whoever picked out these matches did a hell of a job. My only complaint is not even 1 Eddie vs Dean match but other than that this is a pretty nice little representation of the best of ECW.

Pitbulls vs Raven/Stevie Richards

Just posted about this one. I've flip flopped on this match already, wasn't crazy about it when I first reviewed it in American Hardcore Theatre, then watched it again and loved it so much that I went back and changed my rating in that review a few months later. Really fun match with great aftermath but I feel like there was way better. 2 & 3/4 Stars

Psicosis vs Rey Mysterio 2/3 Falls

I absofuckinglutely love the Rey, Juvy, Psicosis matches in ECW. Always loved them in WCW back in the day but seeing them in ECW in that setting under those rules was so great to me. This match they tore the fucking house down. Psicosis was so dangerous and vile in this match, just ragdolling Rey. Some great use of the chairs and tables here, pretty fucking epic shit. 4 & 1/4 Stars

Mikey vs Sandman Ladder Match

This is the one where Austin comes out and says his famous line about Woman looking like a $5 piece of ass. Never noticed this until now watching this on my bad ass new TV how jacked up Austin was when he came out for this show, his legs were fucking huge. The part where he carries Woman out and all fo the fans reach over to smack her on the ass always makes me laugh so hard, it's so wrong, the people who did it should have probably been arrested but I can't help but just laugh at the way it goes down.

This match is fucking stiff as fuck. My love for the Mikey vs Sandman only grows with time, such a great contrast in characters, Sandman as the drunk heel with Woman the manipulative bitch that has guided him to the gold. Mikey is the young babyface strait edge kid. Sandman just beats the fuck out of him in these matches. This is one of my favorite ladder matches, better than a lot of the ones I've seen in WCW or WWF/E(including some of these money in the bank matches). Mikey wins the title here and the fans are all about it. What a battle. 4 Stars

Sabu vs 2 Cold Scorpio

This is one of Sabu's best matches. He does some great shit here. They go to a time limit draw. 3 & 5/8's Stars

Raven vs Tommy Dreamer Loser Leaves Town

My love for this match grows every time I see it. It's like it has all of the elements of ECW that made it what it is all within this one single match. I love the scenes with Raven and Beulah, some great false finishes, so many great callbacks to the feud, then the aftermath puts it over the top. This is ECW. 4 Stars

Taz vs Bam Bam Bigelow

This was from Living Dangerously 98 pay per view. I remember the build up to this match very well, it was a great big fight feel build. This match is not that bad. They don't set the world on fire but this is good. Taz is just not that great of a brawler. Everything works though, other than a couple of minor slip ups. One thing that I noticed was the table spot they mistimed the lift and Taz ended up lifting Bam Bam up dead weight. The finish is one of the greatest finishes in pro wrestling history in my opinion. It's like a magic trick, how did they even do this? Was there a gimmicked spot in the ring? How did nobody in the previous matches not accidentally go through the gimmick spot? Where did Heyman even get the idea for this? Was this something he copied from the old days of pro wrestling or was this finish ever done before? What I liked about it was that Bam Bam was tapping as he dropped Taz down through the mat, the ref didn't see the tap. 3 & 3/4 Stars

RVD vs Jerry Lynn

This is the one from Hardcore Heaven 99. I always kind of thought the Living Dangerously match was better but I have not seen it in so long. This one takes a little while to get going as RVD stalls a lot early on, then the spot where Jerry drops face first on the mat and legit breaks his nose and gets knocked out kills the flow as they take a little while to get back going after that. I can understand the criticism of this match, especially from a pro wrestling insiders perspective, the fact that these guys were really hurting each other the way they were kind of goes against what pro wrestling is. My perspective is always a little different, maybe because I used to watch pro wrestling back when I was a kid thinking it was all real competition, a good match to me is a competitive match like a good MMA fight or a good boxing match, I'm not really looking for storytelling or selling but if it's there and done at a high level I can appreciate it. There is some good storytelling going on in this match, it's a little unconventional from what the WWE style of storytelling in a match would be but it is there. Not all good fights tell stories though, this just felt like a really, really good fight to me between two super tough, incredibly athletic guys. I loved the spot where RVD goes for the rolling thunder but Jerry leans up to avoid it, so RVD catches himself after the roll and hits him with the low sweeping kick. Then he goes for the rolling thunder again and Jerry rolls out of the way completely. A lot of these sequences were callbacks to their previous matches in this series. This is about as good as it gets for ECW. This match will be at or near the very top of my list. Love everything about it. Somewhere in between 4 & 3/4 and 5 Stars, I'm going to go with 4 & 13/16ths Stars

I'll share my list here with you guys when I finish it, maybe in it's own thread even.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 08-13-2016 at 06:06 PM.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a whore for ECW! Wrestlingclique is a very cool forum, I've always liked it but for whatever reasons just never really got into posting over there. All of my friends are here I guess, I've probably only posted a hundred or so posts over there since 2012, started a couple of fan fics that never got off the ground(UWF: Survival, PRIDE Never Die!, AFL: Full Color Football). I don't really post on pro wrestling forums much anymore but when I do I stick to PW, it's like the bar in Cheers or Arlen in King of the Hill to me, we've all been through so much together this is my little cubby hole on the internet I guess. Also sometimes post on the Sherdog boards and the WON/F4W forums(though I need to renew that one) with the same name if anybody ever wants to hit me up over there.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbY...youtu.be&t=532

I read a lot of the Wrestlingclique ECW thread, and it was nice to see ECW getting some love without too much snobbery (although they seem to hate RVD more than this board even). It's apparent the final list will be extremely good.

I find the idea of ranking ECW matches pretty impossible. So much context is needed, and often the best parts are before and after the actual match. It's not exactly like making a Top 10 Ric Flair match list, or something like that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're in trouble now. We'll all be stalking you around the net now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore
    I find the idea of ranking ECW matches pretty impossible. So much context is needed, and often the best parts are before and after the actual match. It's not exactly like making a Top 10 Ric Flair match list, or something like that.
    I know what you mean. This is partly why I started considering things as overall segments rather than just matches bell-to-bell. To me, something like the Bret/Doink/Lawler deal at SummerSlam with the opening Lawler promo through to the post-match stuff all needs to count. It was conceived as one giant segment to get the point and story across. I consider it as one "match" for ranking purposes.

Just like I'd consider the end of Barely Legal as one "match". It was one continuous segment and Funk/Stevie/Sandman would be worked differently if it wasn't leading into Funk/Raven.

A lot of ECW seemed to be more about the segment as a whole, rather than just what was happening inside the ropes between the bell rings. You could have a great segment, even if the thing that was technically the match wasn't great by itself.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fucking love you so much right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Strobe View Post
    I know what you mean. This is partly why I started considering things as overall segments rather than just matches bell-to-bell. To me, something like the Bret/Doink/Lawler deal at SummerSlam with the opening Lawler promo through to the post-match stuff all needs to count. It was conceived as one giant segment to get the point and story across. I consider it as one "match" for ranking purposes.

Just like I'd consider the end of Barely Legal as one "match". It was one continuous segment and Funk/Stevie/Sandman would be worked differently if it wasn't leading into Funk/Raven.

A lot of ECW seemed to be more about the segment as a whole, rather than just what was happening inside the ropes between the bell rings. You could have a great segment, even if the thing that was technically the match wasn't great by itself.
    Some good points. I also consider the Barely Legal stuff all as one match. When I submit my list I'm just going to rank that one as "Stevie Richards vs Terry Funk vs Sandman(Terry Funk vs Raven)", if I get any heat for it I'll drop the Funk vs Raven part I guess. The Funk vs Raven part alone was pretty fucking great though, even though it was super short, so dramatic and emotional. I love the Stevie/Sandman/Funk three way so much, it's one of those matches to me where the flaws and fuck ups only add to the charm of the match. That might be a top 5 for me.

I still want to watch my Eddie vs Dean VHS tape of their 12 matches before I finalize my list. A bunch of other matches I wanted to rewatch for this but I'm running out of time.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    TNA Turning Point 2005: Sabu vs. Abyss - Barbed Wire Massacre

First of all, I have to point out how surreal it is to see a No Roped Barbed Wire Match in a mainstream wrestling promotion. I don't think I even knew the concept existed until 1995/1996, and the thought of such a thing happening in WWF/WCW would have felt preposterous. Ten years later, it was taking place in fucking Disney.

Sabu comes out with a taped nose, still selling the nose! Abyss tries to jump Sabu as the hardcore god slides under the barbed wire, but Sabu somehow avoids it, and reveals a barbed wire bat that backs up the big mang. Sabu swings and misses, and the bat gets caught in the barbed wire ropes. Both men retreat to opposite corners, Sabu points up, and the match is officially under way.

After a bit of a wrestling struggle (both try the behind the man waist takedowns you see in amateur wrestling that I don't know the proper name of), before Sabu remembers he's Sabu, and uses a chair as a lawn dart to Abyss' face. And another chair shot backs Abyss up to the barbed wire.

Sabu folds his chair, and runs to do an Air Sabu, no doubt reminding everybody of the Born to be Wired Spot where Sabu tore his bicep open (he taped it up, so he was fine), so the crowd gasps as Sabu takes off, but Abyss catches him in a powerbomb position. He looks to attempt to powerbomb Sabu onto the barbed ropes, but Sabu punches Abyss to his back, and gets a pin. Abyss kicks out at two, and Sabu goes chest first into the barbed wire ropes (which if memory serves, was also the first barbed wire spot in Born to be Wired). The crowd is horrified. And then in awe with a Holy Shit chant.

After taking turns trying to put each other's heads into barbed wire, Sabu gets a running start at Abyss, jumps, but gets caught in a press slam position. Abyss then drops Sabu THROAT FIRST onto the top barbed wire rop. Sabu sells it like his throat is caught in the barbs! But it's only his arm, and he uses this as a diversion to reach into his boot and grab a Uncle Sheik style taped spike.

He jabs Abyss once in the forehead, and then repeatedly in the left lower shoulder, drawing blood.

Sabu back Abyss back into the ropes, and it's Air Sabu Attempt #2. I've got good news and bad news. Bad news, Sabu obviously misses and goes straight into the barbed wire. Good news, his bicep is in one piece, and it was about as safe a landing as one could have essentially crotching oneself onto something prisons use to top their fences with. Like in Born to be Wired, Sabu's genie pants, have seen better days.

Sabu untangles himself out of the ropes (his back gets caught in it too), and now it's Abyss' turn to taste the barbs. Thinking Sabu was about done, Abyss attempts his first high risk maneuver, a running something or another, but Sabu with a drop toe hold (!), as Abyss goes chest first into the barbs.

Nice little touch, where Sabu "forgets" he's in a barbed wire match, goes for a running start like he wants to bounce off the ropes, sees it's barbed wire, stops short, turns around, and this indecision gives Abyss enough time to recover as he punches Sabu in the broken nose, which has been bleeding since the first minute.

And then a chokeslam onto a chair. First near fall, which Abyss doesn't screw up.

Sinister Minister throws in a barbed wire chair. Abyss places it on Sabu's chest, does a similar, "There's no ropes to bounce off" move, hesitates, and then goes for an Earthquake kind of squash on Sabu. Sabu raises the chair to its edge, as Abyss goes cock-and-balls first into it.

Sabu with two barbed wire chair shots to Abyss' skull, which chases Abyss to the outside (I think this is the first bit of gimmicked barbed wire as it doesn't stick to anything but still, chair to the skull).

Sabu unfolds the chair, gets a running start and jumps over the barbed wire, and onto Abyss on the floor, with somersault plancha. Sabu almost lands in the first row.

Sabu grabs one of those Japanese barbed wire tumbleweed boards, and throws it into the ring. This give Abyss enough time to recover, who then regains an advantage in the match.

Abyss then goes for a vertical suplex on the floor, but suplexes Sabu forward and up, stomach first onto the top barbed wire rope.

Back in the ring, Abyss goes for a powerbomb onto the barbed wire board. Sabu fights out of it again. Abyss goes for a chokeslam, Sabu bites his way out of that. Sabu runs at Abyss, but once again runs into a press slam, and Abyss drops him chest and stomach first onto the barbed wire board.

Abyss brings in another barbed wire board, and stands it vertically in one of the corners. He shoots Sabu into that corner, but Sabu stops short. Abyss takes a run at him, and goes chest first into the board, and he's pretty disgustingly caught in the barbs.

Sabu then kicks the other side of the board, and Abyss falls backwards onto the other barbed wire board. He is now the meat in a barbed wire board sandwich.

Sabu legdrops the top of this, remains seated, as the referee counts.

1. 2. 3.

All is right, as the winner of this barbed wire match, is barbed wire god, Sabu.

Sabu celebrates the win by putting the boots to the board, with Abyss still stuck in the middle.

Dean Kilgore Grade: C+

Probably my least favorite of the three matches. There's not a lot you can do in a no roped barbed wire match. That being said, they made the best of it, with Sabu doing the heavy lifting. It's hard to have a great barbed wire match, maybe even impossible, but this is a very good one.

Sabu is god.
    I love seeing this match live. Just seeing the spectacle that was a brabwire match live was awesome. My dad wasn't into the match he was more of an X-Division guy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continuing on watching some ECW matches. I skimmed through the WWE Network vault for ECW to watch these today. I got to say, I bitch about all of the music edits on WWE Network ECW stuff but this was super fast and easy and convenient compared to digging through DVD cases and manually putting them into/pulling them out of the DVD player. My ECW match ratings are super generous because I'm a fanboy and everything but also because I kind of judge ECW matches within their own little ECW universe/style.

Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka(ECW Hardcore TV, July 11th 1998)

This was one of their first matches in ECW, taking place at The Madhouse in Queens. This was not one of their better ECW matches but it was solid. The highlight comes after the end of the match when Awesome dumps Tanaka over the top rope through a table, sending him sliding across the floor with his head sliding underneath the guard rail. 2 & 7/8ths Stars

Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka(ECW on TNN, December 24th 1999)

This was an impromptu match set up through a series of events, classic Paul E. booking. Joey and Gertner go through their traditional opening until Cyrus comes out and says a bunch of hilarious stuff about how the office doesn't like Gertner's vulgarity, he wants them to redo the opening with Gertner keeping it clean. Network Cyrus is one of my favorite acts ever. Judge Jeff Jones comes out randomly during this and spots Masato Tanaka. Him and Mike Awesome have a pull apart in the ring as they hype up their match for next week on TNN. Heyman comes out to help pull them apart. Cyrus challenges Heyman to let them fight right now. Heyman makes it happen and they tear the fucking house down. It's a short but sweet extreme rules style match. Tanaka wins the ECW World Title here with a roaring elbow after the two men killed each other. Mike Awesome shows respect and wraps the title around Tanaka's waist only to surprise him with a brutal lariat followed by the powerbomb out of the ring through a table. This was good. 3 & 5/8ths Stars. Also on this same show was a very cool match between Super Crazy and Ikuto Hidaka, so if you're looking for a good ECW show to watch on the Network can't go wrong with this one.

Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka(ECW on TNN, December 31st 1999)

I love what Joel Gertner says that Tanaka vs Awesome is the Frazier vs Ali of ECW. This match is amazing ECW style wrestling, seemed very short but it was all killer and no filler. Awesome wins the title back here. 3 & 1/2 Stars Some of what Kilgore says about the difficulty of ranking ECW matches hits me here with these two TNN matches. It's hard to say which one is better, both of them kind of flow together actually. Like the match on the 24th was part 1 and this was part 2, very cool shit. I guess I'd go with the 24th match since I liked the finish a little better and it seemed more violent, the crowd was definitely hotter in the previous match. Both very good matches, not sure either of them will make my top 25, I prefer the Heatwave 98 match and the Anarchy Rulz 99 three way, maybe even the ONS 2005 match.

2/3 Falls: Jerry Lynn vs Justin Credible(A Matter of Respect 98)[/B]

I've read about this match in ECW books. Supposedly these guys opened the show with this and when they got back to the dressing room it was like all of the other wrestlers were mad and jealous because they had to follow it. Watching the match now I can kind of assume why, they probably used a lot of spots that other guys were planning on using later on that night, plus Jerry does a pretty gnarly blade job, there were probably 2 or 3 more matches later that night with guys getting color.

This match was clipped highlights on HCTV. This looks like a hell of a match, I'd love to see the entire match uncut. Big botch early on as Jerry tries a running springboard over the guard rail but hits his legs and fucks up big time. They recover nicely. Lynn gets the first fall with one of the best most devastating looking tombstone piledrivers I've ever seen in my life. From there we clip ahead to a fucking battle. Jerry is bleeding out. Credible is looking really good working as a heel using the chair and getting good heat from the crowd. Jerry is doing some great selling as the bloodied babyface in peril. Credible scores the 2nd fall with a tombstone. Jerry really turns on the selling after the 2nd fall. One hell of a spot happens when Jerry pulls Credible off the top turnbuckle to the outside through a table. Credible's goons get involved for the finish, with Chasity hitting Jerry with a low blow before Credible rolls him up with a small package for the win. Kind of a cheap finish. Looks like a 4+ Star match from these clips but for now N/A(Incomplete).

Rob Van Dam & Lance Storm vs Chris Candido & Sabu(HCTV, 1998)

I've seen this before and remember it was very good so I decided to check it out again. This was excellent. Here you had two tag teams, Sabu/RVD and Candido/Storm, both teams were having problems internally, so they split them up and put them against each other. Some pretty brilliant psychology going on in this match at times. At one point it breaks down into a 4 way dance with everybody fighting each other, but by the end of it RVD and Sabu come together and take out both Storm and Candido. So many great moments in this match. The best moment came at the end with Van Dam's Van Daminator on Lance Storm(his partner for the match), then Fonzie going crazy when Sabu and Van Dam patch things up. There was no finish would be the only thing holding this back. This was one of the best tag matches in ECW history I think. 3 & 13/16ths Stars

Rob Van Dam vs Bam Bam Bigelow(April 1998)

These two guys had some great chemistry working together. This is Van Dam's coming out party really, he really wins the crowd over big time through the course of this match. He hits some epic spots, the somersault into the crowd, then a great frog splash that Bam Bam kicks out of. Sabu gets involved to help Van Dam get the win but it all works so well. Love this match. One of the best in Van Dam or Bam Bam's career's, credit to Bigelow for putting RVD over, maybe this was like the Vader/Ospreay of it's time? Bigelow wasn't that old yet though. 4 & 1/2 Stars

I love the disclaimer they air before the ECW episodes on WWE Network, a big red "THE FOLLOWING PROGRAM IS RATED TV-MA, what you are about to watch contains explicit language, adult themes, violence and may not be suitable for viewers under 18. Viewer discretion is strongly advised"!!!
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 08-15-2016 at 01:37 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a couple of channels I have on my cable package that keep playing awesome old random shit. Right now there is an episode of Walker Texas Ranger featuring a guest starring Hulk Hogan!! Hogan and Chuck Norris!! Hogan plays a basketball coach in the hood, he's making a difference in the community! Some bad guy gangstas kidnap Hogan, Walker and the good guy gangstas in the hood got to save him! Do the right thing! Don't throw your life away! I'm begging you, please! This is solid gold cheese right here son.

Keeping on watching ECW matches for my list. I watched RVD vs Jerry Lynn from Living Dangerously 99, I do like this match just a little more than the Hardcore Heaven match for reasons I can't quite explain. It's hard for me to say another match is better than this. This will most likely be my #1 on my list. I need to rewatch Sabu vs Funk bar-b-que. For the longest time I thought that was the best match ever in ECW but I recently rewatched it and wasn't as crazy about it. I watched the Super Crazy vs Yoshihiro Tajiri Mexican Death Match for the ECW TV Title on TNN. This was spectacular, short, but excellent, the best Tajiri vs Crazy match imo, 4 & 3/4 Stars. Also caught Scorpio vs Malenko from 1994 Hardcore TV, this wasn't as good as I remembered, maybe 3 Stars. Then I rewatched the Sabu vs Sandman Stairway to Hell match from House Party 98. My god, this match is ugly as fuck, I don't know why but I FUCKING LOVE this match. Joey on commentary makes it clear that this is not a pro wrestling match, this is not an ultimate fighting combat match, this is not even humane. These two guys kill each other, it's like Faces of Death shit, it's disturbing, it makes me feel dirty watching it. Unbelievable match. I don't even know how to rate a match like this, I want to give it 5 Stars but I'd feel so wrong in doing so, for what they were trying to do I think they nailed it though. The finish was perfect. Absolutely one of my favorite extreme ECW style matches ever.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 08-16-2016 at 08:11 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just rewatched a couple more matches:

Sabu vs Terry Funk BBQ

Man, this match is great up to a certain point. I'm not one to automatically hold shenanigan booking against a match but I do actually feel like that stuff at the end kind of holds this one back. Up to the point where they start cutting the wire this was fantastic. Just gruesome and extreme but done with a certain style, like a good horror movie that builds the suspense and leaves a little to the imagination as opposed to one that just bashes you over the head with cheap pops and gore. 4 Stars.

Beulah vs Fonzie

How do you rate this match!?!? It was like 5 minutes long, with two non-wrestlers. More of an angle than a match but it was technically a match, quite possibly the greatest 5 minute match in the history of pro wrestling. I almost hate to do it but I absolutely have to find a spot on my list for this match. Just too damn good. If there was ever a chance to make women's wrestling work in ECW, it would have been with Beulah coming out of this match. She was already over but after this she could do no wrong, she was a made woman. It's a shame she didn't actually know how to wrestle, she could have been one of the most over wrestlers in ECW, woman or man. This is absolutely one of the best moments that ever happened in that arena.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep on keeping on with the ECW shit.

Taz/Candido vs Sabu/RVD(Hardcore TV 1997)

Boy this sure was good. This is up there with RVD/Sabu vs Furnas/Lafon and Sabu/Storm vs Candido/RVD as one of the best ECW tag team matches. I seen this back in the last go around with AHT(American Hardcore Theatre for the newbs, a thread here where I reviewed through ECW from 95 up to Wrestlepallooza 97). Chris Candido especially looks really good in this match, especially his German on RVD for the finish. 3 & 13/16ths Stars

Sabu vs Cactus Jack(Holiday Hell 95)

Man I really enjoyed this one. Can't remember how I rated it in AHT but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why it was left off of my top 25 for 95. I also watched bits and pieces of a match they had in 1994, it was really good but I got busy and couldn't really watch it closely enough to rate it. But this was super good ECW match, Sabu was looking pretty good there when he came back after November to Remember 95, he had this match with Cactus in December, a really good match against Mikey Whipreck in queens around this time, the match against Scorpio at Cyberslam then from there it was on to the Van Dam series. Only thing weak about this match was the finish, actually thought there was some good selling going on, the Air Sabu onto his head while tangled up in the ropes seemed to have legit hurt Foley in this match. 3 & 3/8ths Stars. Love seeing Cactus and Sabu wrestling each other. Wasn't there another match in 94 that was really good?

Sabu vs Taz(ECW on TNN October 99)

This is Sabu vs Taz for the last time. I've raved about this match before, it's nothing super epic or anything but it is my personal favorite match between two of my all time favorite wrestlers. It's short, cut in half by a commercial break, but I really like this match. Both guys were presented as the all time greats of ECW, there was a sentimental feel to it with both guys knowing it would be their last match together. Sabu was sharp and on point. Nice clean finish with Sabu pinning Taz clean after a legdrop through a table. 3 & 1/4 Stars

Sabu/Van Dam vs Furnas/Lafon(Hardcore TV September 96)

I gave this match a rave review in AHT, this is one of the best ECW tag team matches. Furnas and Lafon look really good in this match, there is some psychology going on with Sabu and Van Dam having beef with each other stemming from their series of matches that preceded this. After watching this again though I'd actually say that Sabu/Storm vs Candido/RVD was better. Still this will make my top 25. 4 Stars

Masato Tanaka vs Mike Awesome(Heatwave 98)

My WWE Network subscription expired on me as I was watching Furnas/Lafon vs RVD/Sabu! So to the DVD cases I go. I have a Sega Saturn with a MPEG decoder imported from China installed into the little slot in the back, what this does is enable the Saturn to play Video CD's. I have Heatwave 98, Living Dangerously 98, November to Remember 98, Anarchy Rulz 99, and November to Remember 99 all on Video CD, all of them are split up into 3 discs for each show. So right now as I'm typing this review I'm actually watching ECW on my Sega Saturn. The video quality looks worse than VHS, it looks like the quality of Full Motion Video that you would see in Playstation and Saturn games from this era(Metal Gear Solid for example has bits and pieces of real video in some of those cut scenes). I'm pretty sure my laptop will play VCD's and maybe one of the DVD players I have, but still, the sound is really nice at least(original music is intact!), I don't know, watching ECW on my Saturn makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

I'm glad I rewatched this match. I have forgotten how much of a war this was. Definitely my favorite match of theirs, with ONS 2005 coming in 2nd place. I know they had a match at November to Remember 99 but from what I remember it wasn't one of their better matches. Those damn chairshots Tanaka takes at the end of this are disturbing. Tanaka kicks out of 3 monster chairshots to the head. The table spot in the end is one of the sickest ever. Awesome kicks out after being dropped out of the ring through the table, then he kicks out again after a roaring elbow. Finally it takes a tornado DDT onto 2 chairs for Tanaka to finally get the win. What a war. One of my favorite ECW matches for sure, definitely my favorite Tanaka vs Awesome match. 4 & 1/8th Stars

Sabu/Rvd vs Hayabusa/Shinzaki(Heatwave 98)

One thing I love about this match is just how damn cool it looks. It's a spectacle seeing these four wrestlers in the same ring in the same match. Like watching Vader wrestle Undertaker, this match just automatically gets points just for looking awesome. You have Hayabusa and Hakushi, two of the coolest looking fucking wrestlers I have ever seen, then Sabu and RVD. The most uncool guy in the whole thing is named Fonzie. You got to love that. The match itself though is not as great as I remember it. The opening part with RVD vs Hayabusa was pretty sloppy. It gets going when RVD and Hakushi catch each other with kicks. Sabu comes in and hits a few aerial moves but for the most part works to keep both Shinzaki and Hayabusa grounded on the mat. Things finally get going good when Sabu locks somebody in the camel clutch, then RVD comes in and hits the springboard moonsault dropkick, which brings in Shinzaki. From there all of the tagging goes out the window. Sabu and Hayabusa hit their springboard high spots out of the ring. Hayabusa and Shinzaki's offense looks really good when they are hitting tandem moves. Both teams exchange some sweet nearfalls. RVD hits Shinzaki with a frog splash from hell. The finish was great. Overall this was not as good as some of the other tag team matches I've reviewed on this page. Still pretty sweet match though. 3 & 3/16ths Stars

Jerry Lynn vs Lance Storm(Anarchy Rulz 99)

Always loved this match. Watched it really close from start to finish and I'm convinced that this is one of the more underrated ECW matches. To me this is just as good if not better than all of the critically acclaimed matches, the Malenko's vs Guerrero's, the RVD's vs Lynn's. This was big time, live in front of the biggest crowd in ECW history, live on pay per view, these guys killed it. I couldn't tell you what the story was that was being told, there was something going on with Jerry Lynn's ribs, Storm went after them and they ended up being the turning point in the match when Lynn was posted on his ribs. The finish maybe was weak but I don't think so, it could have been better but I'm fine with what it was. A lot of great counters and reversals, everything was on point with a good pace of action. None of this match sucked. 4 & 7/8ths Stars

Tajiri vs Crazy vs Guido(Anarchy Rulz 99)

Man, this was a lot of fun. Maybe one of my favorite 3 ways in ECW. They had a lot of matches like this but this one stands out for my memory. The 3 way part of it was great, then after Guido gets eliminated Tajiri and Crazy have one of their best 1 on 1 showdowns I've ever seen them have. 3 & 7/8ths Stars

Tanaka vs Taz vs Awesome(Anarchy Rulz 99)

Man, I'm ready to crown Anarchy Rulz 99 as the greatest ECW show of all time. You had Lynn vs Storm open the show, New Jack killed a bunch of guys, Guido/Crazy/Tajiri three way, then this. I didn't appreciate this match as I was watching it happen live back in the day. I bought Anarchy Rulz 99 to see Taz, he was done after about 2 or 3 minutes of wrestling. Looking at his match now his elimination from this match was pretty weak, it kind of killed this show for me back in the day. But my god. The way this match was set up was great. The three way part of it was great, but after Taz gets elminated Tanaka and Awesome put on their best match. This was even better than their Heatwave 98 match I think. Incredible. 4 & 5/8ths Stars. So Anarchy Rulz you had these three great matches along with a solid Sabu vs Justin Credible, and a more than solid main event with RVD vs Balls. The only weakness this show has is the tag title match. Anarchy Rulz 99 is one of the best wrestling shows ever.

RVD vs Jerry Lynn(Crossing The Line 99)

They had a few matches before this but this was where their feud really started. This was a show at the Madhouse in Queens just a few weeks prior to Living Dangerously 99. There are a few mistakes and mistimed spots in this match. Not as good as Living Dangerously or Hardcore Heaven imo, but still really, really good. 3 & 11/16ths Stars Something I forgot to mention about their Living Dangerously match was the weird finish how the referee just tried to give Jerry Lynn the TV title after the match ended in a draw. This would have worked way better if there were judges decisions in pro wrestling. I've never heard of a referee decision.

Super Crazy vs Yoshihiro Tajiri(Crossing the Line 99)

This is the best match between these two out of their earlier series and one of the best they ever had. Tajiri was still wearing the blue and white tights but he was in rare form here, some great kicks. Crowd was popping big for everything they did. Great stuff. 3 & 13/16ths Stars
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 08-20-2016 at 09:55 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dean vs Eddie the ECW SUPERTAPE! Part 1 review:

Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero(Hostile City Showdown 95)

At one time I probably would have put this as my favorite ECW match ever. After watching Lynn vs Storm from Anarchy Rulz 99 I feel like that was just the better match overall, like a continued evolution of the Malenko vs Guerrero style with Lynn playing Eddie and Storm playing Malenko. I'd actually say that Lynn vs Storm was better, just a better pace of action, not to mention in front of a way bigger crowd and on live pay per view television. Still this was damn solid. What makes this match special is considering the context of when it happened, in the peak of the monster truck, clown, dungeon of doom gimmick era of pro wrestling. Also there is something to say about pulling off a good ole sport style pro wrestling match in ECW of all places where it was all about blood and guts and tables and weapons. The opening chain sequence of the first 3 minutes is great. I love the submissions they work on the mat, going from Dean's ankle hold into a armbar from Eddie. This feels like a good competitive match between two highly skilled technicians who are really good at what they do. I love Joey's commentary in this match, he says a lot of stuff that Jim Ross would regularly say on WCW commentary, defying people to find a better wrestling promotion and stuff. The first five minutes and the last five minutes are the best parts of this match. I remember when these matches were like the holy grail of ECW tapes. I still really love this match and feel like it's about as good as it gets for ECW. 4 & 7/8ths Stars

Something I actually did not know until recently was that Eddie and Dean had 2 more matches in the weeks after this show. These matches were never officially released on any of the ECW tapes. I am not sure if these shows were released or even recorded on Fan Cam but they wrestled a match on April 28th 1995 at the Juniata High School in Mifflintown Pennsylvania at a ECW show in front of 185 people. Then another match at the Caesar Rodney High School in Dover Delaware the very next day(April 29th) in front of 375 people. Both of those shows were headlined by Funk vs Cactus rematches from Hostile City Showdown. Eddie pinned Dean in Mifflintown and they went to a double count out in Dover. So that would put the series at 1-0-2 for Eddie.

Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero(Enter Sandman)

This match was all butchered up and clipped for some reason on the Enter Sandman white box HHG Corp. VHS tape. They seemed to have copied those same clips to this VHS tape I have. The highlights that are available are about 13 minutes(of a match that went to a 30 minute time limit draw). Watching this actually looks like it was a damn good match, maybe more heat than the Hostile City Showdown match. Eddie bumps his head across the canvas with a rana and cuts the back of his head hardway. Dean improvises and goes after the cut. I wish I could see this full match. Maybe it was recorded in full for the fan cam version of this show? I do know that Eddie wrestled and beat Marty Jannety in a 6 minute match later that same night. I've never found anything of that match other than the few seconds they show in the Enter Sandman commercial you can find on Kilgore's ECW ads channel on Youtube.

Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero(Hazleton, PA May 19th 1995)

These next 3 matches were shot on fan cam and released together as "The Malenko vs Guerrero Classic" on VHS and again years later on DVD by RF Video. Joey Styles opens the show explaining that this is the Verne Gagne vs Billy Robinson, the Funks vs Briscoes, the Flair vs Steamboat of ECW. This is a 2 out of 3 Falls Match spread out over 3 cities in 2 days(May 19th and 20th 1995). The first match takes place at the St. Joe High School in Hazleton Pennsylvania in front of a crowd of 225. Crowd looks closer to be about 100 or so people for this match. Dean comes out first to Wherever I May Roam by Metallica. Eddie comes out to Live and Let Die by Guns N Roses. This is about a 12 minute match, nothing really memorable happens but everything is solid. Eddie wins with a rollup. 3 Stars

Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero(Jim Thorpe, PA, May 20th 1995)

This is the second fall of the 2/3 Falls match spread out over 3 cities in 2 days. This show takes place at the Flagstaff in front of a reported crowd of 275 according to the Observer. There looks to be maybe 50 people here, small night club type venue in the mid afternoon daylight shining through the doors and windows. This crowd sucks. Somebody keeps chanting boring. They keep it to their formula with a lot of mat wrestling early on, then they trade nearfalls. Dean reverses a rollup for the pin after about 9 minutes, evening it up at 1 fall a piece with the deciding fall coming up later that night. This match was not that good honestly, nowhere near the ballpark of some of their matches in WCW later on that were about this same length on Nitro and Saturday Night. They seem to be saving it for the show later that night maybe. Not bad but not great. 2 & 11/16ths Stars

Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero(Langhorne, PA, May 20th 1995)

This is the third and final fall of the 2/3 Falls series. Eddie won the first fall the day before in Hazleton, Dean won the second fall earlier this same day in Jim Thorpe PA, now here they are some 8 hours later to finish it in Langhorne at the Neshaminy High School in front of a reported 291 fans. Looks to be roughly 100 people here from what I can see. They were being pretty generous in some of those Observer attendance reports unless there were a couple hundred people headed to the concession stand during these matches or something.

This is all shaky old gritty fan cam footage. They go through some excellent technical wrestling early on in this match. Dean works about a dozen arm submissions in this match, bicep slicer, armbar, kimura, all kinds of MMA shit. He hits Eddie's arm with a lot of dropkicks, jumps out of the ring with it to pull it down across the ropes. Eddie doesn't sell the arm very well later in the match. Eddie spends a lot of time working Dean's leg later on in the match. They drag this match out with a lot of rest holds to get to a 30 minute draw. This crowd is not into it at all. In all of their matches there is always that one guy in the crowd chanting boring. Eddie in this match looks up at the guy at one point and says fuck you, it was pretty funny. Another point in the match when Malenko was selling the leg there was a pause in the action where they were kind of staring each other down, somebody in the crowd says "Will somebody do something PLEASE!!!". So yeah, this crowd really sucked and were not into this match at all. It was pretty sloppy there in the last 10 minutes or so. They really drug this one out and it was not pretty. The first 10-15 minutes was really good though. 2 & 3/4 Stars

Taz/Eddie vs Scorpio/Malenko(Heatwave 95)

This match is heavily clipped highlights. Taz is not yet Taz, he's not the Tasmaniac anymore, he's in that brief little phase of his career where he was just a plain ole amateur wrestling looking dude. Actually Taz started this phase of his persona when he did the commentary for Eddie vs Dean at Enter Sandman, Joey introduced him as Peter Senerchia and put him over all through the match as a legit bad ass. Taz dropped a lot of knowledge on commentary for that match calling holds and explaining wrestling like it was a real martial art, pretty much calling the match like you would do an MMA fight. Then at the end of the match they revealed him as his new version of Taz, some Attitude Era shit. Early Attitude Era when it was good. So Heyman kind of used Eddie vs Dean to get Taz over in a very clever way. This tag team match was the next step of that I guess.

Even in clipped highlights this match is not very good. Taz and Eddie have Paul Heyman in their corner. If I remember correctly I think Scorpio and Malenko were in cahoots with the evil ref/athletic commissioner Bill Alphonso. Scorpio hits Paul Heyman with a plancha late in the match and all hell breaks loose. 911's music hits but he doesn't come out. Heyman hits Scorpio with his cell phone to set him up for a Tazplex. Taz pins Scorpio for the win. But no! Here comes Fonzie! The audio is super bad on this tape so I can't hear what Fonzie says. Scorpio and Malenko hit simultaneous superkick(Scorpio on Taz) and Tigerbomb(Malenko on Eddie) for the double pin, Fonzie counts the fast count!

Taz/Eddie vs Scorpio/Malenko(Ft. Lauderdale, FL - War Memorial Auditorium - July 20, 1995)

This is the rematch in Malenko's home state, this is the same venue where they would do Hardcore Heaven on pay per view in 97. This is the match where Scorpio and Malenko drop Taz and break his neck, putting him out of action for the rest of 1995. Taz would be involved in a non-wrestling feud with Jason leading up to his big heel turn at November to Remember 95 when he would transform into the Taz we all know and love. This match is clipped here and there but it looks much better than their last match. Eddie gets the pin on Dean here to win it after Taz watches on from his corner clutching his neck.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 08-21-2016 at 01:08 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dean vs Eddie ECW SUPERTAPE! Part 2 review:

Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero(Tampa, FL - Expo Park - July 21, 1995)

Here we are in Dean's hometown. I haven't seen this one in a while but I remember liking it, it made my top 25 list for ECW '95 above every other Dean vs Eddie match except for the Hostile City Showdown and Farewell 2/3 Falls matches. So lets see what's up now. There are some great opening sequences early on leading to their trademark staredowns. I think these types of sequences and staredowns have become like a wrestling cliche or something these days but I've set to see anyone pull one off as good as Eddie and Dean did in these matches. They start off with the old side headlock takeover, headscissor kip up stuff. Then they are handspringing and cartwheeling out of each other's armlocks, leg sweeping each other for fast 1 counts. They do a test of strength sequence into a nice monkey flip from Guerrero into another stand off/staredown. Joey says on commentary that if you want to see the definition of classic wrestling you won't have to ask any Dean, you are looking at it right here.

They go through another series of reversals folding each other's arms backwards. Guerrero takes control after a slip up from Dean during a standing switch sequence and sends Dean out of the ring. Eddie takes over and works Dean's leg after he returns to the ring. There is a fan in the crowd with a sign that says "Art Barr Lives". Eddie works Dean's leg on the mats with a strait foothold later transitioned into the STF. Really good stuff all of this grappling, I like it. Dean makes his way up and pushes Eddie off into the ropes to hit him with a knee to the midsection on the rebound. No selling on the leg but he pulls Eddie up and it's Gutbuster city bitch! So Dean is working the midsection. Nine minutes into this I'd actually say this is there best ECW match so far.

Another sign in the crowd says "Dean Malenko: The Real Excellence of Execution". Right on.

Gory Special by Eddie after a backbreaker, so he goes to working the back. Malenko counters into a rollup for 2. Another sign says "Gringos Locos Forever". Eddie does his toe spin into Malenko's face before pulling him up for a body slam, then he hits the frog splash for a nearfall. Eddie never beat Dean with a frogsplash in ECW, Dean kicked out every single time. They fight back and forth until Dean hits a really nicely set up high cross body off the top. Dean is no selling the back. Eddie counters and reverses his way into a brainbuster on Dean. He goes up and Dean pops right up to follow him up in the corner. Eddie jumps over and hits Dean with a sunset flip powerbomb for a close 2. They trade big moves for nearfalls for a while and this ref really sucks. It's not one of the regular ECW referees he must have been a local Tampa guy. Later on after both guys hit each other with Brainbusters and Powerbombs for 2 counts Eddie goes up to the top rope only to get pulled down onto Dean's shoulders. Eddie goes over the top and pulls Dean out to the floor. They take it right back to the ring after recovering. Eddie hits a german suplex and a fishermanbuster suplex for 2 counts, he just can't put Dean away!

Dean counters a backdrop with a kick and a Tigerbomb for 2. They take it home around 16 minutes in with Eddie going for a rana into a rollup, then Dean fips him around and reverses him for the 3! Dean Malenko wins the ECW TV Title back finally! In his hometown! Pretty cool aftermath as Eddie hands Dean the title and shows his respect. He holds Dean's arm up into the air and then hits him with a clothesline! Nice. This was pretty good match. Right up there with Hostile City Showdown and their farewell 2/3 Falls match but not quite as good as either. Still one of their best in ECW I think, definitely one of the best overall matches in ECW in 1995, probably better than a majority of their WCW matches too. 3 & 15/16ths Stars

For the longest time I always assumed that this 6 hour blank VHS tape that I bought from RF Video contained EVERY match that Dean and Eddie ever had in ECW. I was wrong. They had a match the very next day after this match(July 22nd, 1995) at the Fairgrounds in Orlando Florida, Dean beats Eddie to retain the ECW TV Title. I do not have that match in my collection. I checked on RF Video for ECW fan cam shows to see if they had it and they do not unfortunately. So I don't know if that match was ever even filmed.

Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero(Middletown, NY - Orange County Fairgrounds - July 28, 1995)

This match is getting a lot of love over on the forums that are hosting the countdown. This was aired edited on Hardcore TV that August(1st I think) but it was also included in full form on the ECW Unreleased set(can't remember which one, maybe the first one). This was an outdoor show(decent sized crowd) and I actually even think it was raining a little bit.

Standard stuff early on as was the case with their other matches, they work back and forth on each other's arms before hitting each other with leg sweeps for fast pinfall attempts that don't even get 1. Joey is great on commentary for these matches, telling the history of these two guys being second generation wrestlers, talking about the Guerrero family, Dean's dad Boris Malenko. They do the test of strength into the monkey flip from the last match with Eddie flipping all the way over and landing on his feet into a standoff. They do another test of strength style tie up this time with Eddie hitting a sick headstand headscissor throw.

Eddie takes control of the match with European uppercuts and chest chops. He's got a little more attitude in these last couple of matches than his Texican babyface persona he had going earlier on in his ECW run. Eddie hits a super rana off the top for 2. Dean fights back and they go back and forth with some awesome flying headscissors on each other. Eddie gets the better of Dean and follows up with his trademark slingshot somersault from the apron for another 2. Joey says Eddie vs Dean has taken classic mat wrestling to the extreme!

Dean fights back and takes control of the match with a belly to back suplex with authority and technical precision, none of this squirelly John Cena Dolph Ziggler shit. Dean works Eddie over with running clotheslines, a brainbuster, then a knee to the midsection. Malenko's timing looks a little off on all of this offense. He recovers with a SICK fireman carry gutbuster! BIG AIR! This is the best crowd reaction they have gotten so far in all of their ECW matches up to this point. They start to get into the zone as the crowd gets into the match. Eddie goes for a Tornado DDT out of the corner but Dean pushes him off into another big air bump. Dean then pushes Eddie way up into the air and sends him flopping face down into another big bump. Eddie fights back later on with a nice epic rollup out of nowhere. Joey doesn't have a name for the rollup, the best I would be able to do would be calling it a wheelbarrow victory roll, some Lucha Libre shit.

Eddie works his way back into the match with his Rock Bottom style slam that he does. He goes up top and hits the frogsplash but he sells his ribs instead of going for the pin. The Otto Rocket guy in the crowd is acting like he's on acid or LSD or something, he's front and center for this match on the bottom of the screen and acting like he's taken some hallucinogens. Dean goes to work on Eddie's ribs with an abdominal stretch. Eddie gets a rope break but Dean stomps his ribs to put him down. Eddie fights back and hits his Rana into a rollup. Just like their last match Dean reverses him for a pin but Eddie reverses his reversal and gets the 1, 2, 3 at 11:45. So this was a really good match, the finish and several of the spots were continuations from their previous match, so there was some nice continuity in the series here in this one. The crowd was really into it and you could see Dean and Eddie putting on a show once they felt the crowd reactions. Definitely one of their best ECW matches. 4 Stars

Eddie Guerrero vs Dean Malenko(The Flagstaff @ Jim Thorpe, PA - August 4, 1995)

Wow, I completely forgot about this match being on this tape. This is a fan cam shot match. The opening shot is a close up of Otto Rocket Guy, hitting Sabu's pose, saying into the camera SABU WILL BE BACK!!! He's also got his dinosaur. This fucking guy. The camera work for this is absolutely fantastic. Unlike the previous fan cam shot matches on this tape the camera is down around the ringside area walking around. They spend a few minutes showing the crowd and the venue. They follow Eddie around as he makes his entrance and unstraps his ECW TV Title. This is nice. This is really nice.

Eddie offers Dean a handshake before the match but Dean wants no part of it. Awesome.

They tie up early on with Eddie driving Dean up into the corner. The ref calls for a break and Eddie breaks clean. The crowd shouts out cat calls, some guy screams out TO HELL WITH BISCHOFF! So I'm assuming that the news had broke that these guys were gone to WCW soon.

They work back and forth on each other's arms. Everything is really nice, tight, and crisp. Very awesome first sequence into a nice staredown standoff. They go to the test of strength grip with Eddie breaking Dean down first. Dean works his way back up and Eddie lands his awesome headstand headscissor throw. Dean recovers and we have another standoff. Eddie starts going after Dean's leg with dropkicks next. Eddie stays focused on Dean's leg, hitting it with his slingshot somersault from the apron. Eddie pulls Dean out of the corner by his leg and drops down into a strait foothold, eventually transitioning into the STF, then later he locks on the figure four! The crowd gets behind Dean and starts chanting SHOOTER, SHOOTER, SHOOTER as Dean is down in the hold.

Dean feels the energy of the crowd and rolls over to get a rope break! Dean sells the leg as Eddie continues to work it over with stomps, eventually wrapping it up in a modified spinning toe hold(Eddie drops backwards into a bridge with the hold applied). Somebody in the crowd screams ERIC BISCHOFF SUCKS!

The camera loses focus as somebody hits a rollup for 2. We refocus with the crowd going back and forth chanting for Shooter and Eddie. Dean still in peril selling the leg finally fights back and catches a European uppercut to pull Eddie down into a backslide for 2. Eddie goes back to work by doing his spinning foot to the face, followed by a brainbuster for 2. Eddie sends Dean into the corner and charges after him but Dean moves out of the way and sends Eddie through the ropes crashing into the ring post with his shoulder! Dean is using the ropes to hold himself up selling the leg. Eddie selling the shoulder.

So I'm noticing that they are working a pretty clear cut traditional face vs heel match here, with Eddie playing the heel and Dean playing the face. Eddie's not really cheating or anything but he's working as the heel in this match. Dean starts to make his comeback with a tilt a whirl shoulder breaker. He follows up and takes over with a swinging neckbreaker, a brainbuster, a hard body slam, a fucking nice Tiger Bomb, every move gets a 2 count, the Tiger Bomb was a nice nearfall as Eddie kicks out at 2.999! Dean hits a Superplex for 2. Eddie fights back and goes for his Tornado DDT out of the corner but Dean pushes him off! Fuck! Eddie never gets Dean with that fucking Tornado DDT! Dean hits Eddie with his fireman carry gutbuster and it gets a great crowd reaction here. Super nice. Dean locks Eddie in the Texas Cloverleaf! Eddie fights to the ropes and gets a break. They go back and forth until Eddie goes up to the top rope like he's going to do a moonsault or something, he feints a dive and makes Dean flinch, then he jumps back and nails him with a fucking perfect Tornado DDT out of the corner! Lights out! 1, 2, 3!!! Eddie wins after 14:29. That was fucking niiiiiiiiice! Eddie takes his belt and leaves without any respect or handshake or anything. This was better than their last two or three matches I think. The selling and psychology was on point, the action was focused. The crowd went from cat calling and entertaining themselves to being pretty deep into the match due to the way they worked it. This was right up there with the Hostile City Showdown match. 4 & 3/4 Stars

I'll review the last two matches on this tape some other time, this is already a pretty big post. Part 3 coming soon!

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dean vs Eddie ECW SUPERTAPE! Part 3 review:

Dean Malenko, 2 Cold Scorpio, & Cactus Jack vs Eddie Guerrero, & The Steiner Brothers(Wrestlepallooza 95)

This starts off with Scorpio and Dean in the ring together. Raven comes out and tells Scorpio that he knows what his people have been through, he feels their pain, so he's going to give them Cactus Jack! Cactus is heel here, he had just turned on Tommy Dreamer and was in alignment with Raven in a pretty awesome and underrated storyline that eventually led to his famed anti-hardcore promos that get praised all the time. Cactus gets on the mic and buries the Steiner Brothers for being overrated and overpaid, then he calls Eddie a midget and says he's going to kick his ass back to where he came from. Then you have Eddie and the Steiners come out together accompanied by Taz, who is wearing a neck brace with a broken neck.

Dean and Scott start the match off with a pretty nice little amateur style wrestling exchange, Scott dominates because of the size advantage but Dean has his moments and looks like a bad ass when he counters the bigger man with a fireman carry takeover into a hammerlock. They go at it in a more traditional pro wrestling style sequence that ends with Dean pulling Scotty from the apron down to the floor with a vertical suplex. Dean whips Scotty into the guardrail before taking him back in. Scotty hits Dean with a suplex and forces him to tag out.

Eddie and Scorpio come in and go at it in the best part of the match, lighting the ring up with some nice lucha style exchanges. Eddie is maximum over here and looking sharp with his offense. Eddie tags Rick in and he comes in and dominates. Scorpio botches a headscissor type of move at one point. Rick beats Scorpio up with a bulldog off the top and a german suplex. Cactus gets tagged in and has a brawl with Rick. They take it out to the floor where Rick hits Cactus with a belly to belly on the concrete. Rick seems to be more over than Scotty here.

Eddie and Cactus have a brief exchange where Cactus drops Eddie off of his back and tags in Dean. Eddie fights back and goes for a frogsplash but Dean moves out of the way. From there they isolate Eddie and cut him off to start building up the hot tag. Cactus, Dean, and Scorpio tag in and out to fuck Eddie up as he keeps trying to tag out. Scorpio slams Eddie on the concrete floor on the outside at one point to set him up for Cactus' trademark elbow.

We take a commercial break. I checked the ECW Unreleased Vol. 2 version of this match to see if it also had this commercial break and it does.

We come back from the break with Scorpio "dropping the bomb" leg drop on Eddie. Scorpio hits a powerbomb and goes to put Eddie away but the Steiners break up the fall at 2. Eddie finally hits Scorpio with a rana and makes the hot tag to Rick Steiner, only the tag ain't so hot. Rick comes in and hits Scorpio with a belly to belly off the top turnbuckle. Cactus comes in and breaks up the fall but Scotty comes in and beats him up before dropping him with a double underhook powerbomb. They tag Eddie back in and hold Scorpio up on their shoulders for a doomsday device. The Stieners hold up Cactus and Eddie hits him with a dropkick off the top. They hold up Malenko and Eddie pulls him down off their shoulders with a rana coming off the top rope. Eddie goes to pin Dean but Cactus breaks up the count. Cactus gets taken out but Dean catches Eddie with a reverse victory roll for the pin after roughly 17 minutes. This was good but not as good as I remembered it. 3 & 5/8ths Stars

2/3 Falls Match: Dean Malenko vs Eddie Guerrero(August 26, 1995)

This is the last match for Eddie and Dean in ECW. Joey makes the big announcement that because of the relationship with New Japan and Ted Turner's wrestling promotion, and because of Eddie and Dean's contracts with New Japan, they will be leaving ECW after this match to go to WCW. There is a lot of sentimental emotion in the atmosphere of the ECW Arena for this match. This just feels like a really big deal just from the intros.

Malenko shakes Eddie's hand before the match. The fans work up the "PLEASE DON'T GO" chants within seconds of the opening bell. There is a big banner sign that says "Bischoff Sucks". The fans work up a chant of "Bischoff sucks dicks" to the tune of Camp Town Races.

Man the atmosphere and everything is great for this match. At one time I would have told you that this was my favorite ECW match. Watching it really closely today it just was not as good of a match as Hostile City Showdown or the August 4th match. The mat wrestling is solid early on. There are a few missteps when Eddie starts springboarding off of the ropes, even though they do a good job of recovering. The match just didn't have the same flow as their other matches I just mentioned. Eddie gets the first fall around the 10 minute mark after a sloppy backslide reversal. Dean gets the second fall by submission around 14 minutes in when Guerrero submits to the Texas Cloverleaf. The match picks up well after the second fall. Eddie puts it on Dean's ass with his Tornado DDT that he beat him with in their last match but Dean kicks out this time. Eddie empties out his arsenal, hitting Dean with a brainbuster, a frog splash, a rana, and a sunset flip powerbomb. Dean kicks out of everything. Eddie goes for the Tornado DDT again but Dean pushes him off. Dean pulls Eddie up and hits him with his fireman carry gutbuster. Eddie kicks out of the pin. They tie up and trade rollups until the double pin finish at 22 minutes roughly(the counter on my VCR kept going through commercial breaks in between falls). I would say I'd give this 4 Stars, being generous, I just like the tone and the commentary and the atmosphere of the match. The aftermath is pretty great with Dean and Eddie bidding their farewells.

And with that is the end of the ECW Guerrero vs Malenko supertape. This motherfucker is 6 hours long and is packed from start to finish with great wrestling, the tape stops and starts to rewind immediately after the farewell match so there is no dead tape here, all killer and no filler. I don't even think you can find or buy this tape anymore since RF Video stopped selling their VHS tapes, they never converted this to DVD. I probably need to make a backup copy.

To wrap things up, lets take a look at the Eddie Guerrero vs Dean Malenko series in ECW(singles matches):

April 15th 1995- ECW Arena, Philly PA(Hostile City Showdown '95)- TIME LIMIT DRAW
    April 28th 1995- Juniata High School, Mifflintown PA - EDDIE WINS
    April 29th 1995- Caesar Rodney High School, Dover DE - DOUBLE COUNTOUT
    May 13th 1995- ECW Arena, Philly PA(Enter Sandman)- TIME LIMIT DRAW
    May 19th 1995- St. Joe High School, Hazleton PA- EDDIE WINS
    May 20th 1995- The Flagstaff, Jim Thorpe PA- DEAN WINS
    May 20th 1995- Neshaminy High School, Langhorne PA- TIME LIMIT DRAW
    July 21st 1995- Expo Park, Tampa FL- DEAN WINS
    July 22nd 1995- Fairgrounds, Orlando FL- DEAN WINS
    July 28th, 1995- Orange County Fairgrounds, Middletown NY- EDDIE WINS
    August 4th, 1995- The Flagstaff, Jim Thorpe PA- EDDIE WINS
    August 26th, 1995- ECW Arena, Philly PA- DOUBLE PIN

EDDIE WINS SERIES 4-3-5

I checked RF Video and they do not have any fan cam shows for the April 28th or July 22nd shows. They do have a fan cam show for the April 29th show but Eddie vs Dean is not in the match listings, I don't know if that was a typo error or if for some reason that match was not taped or what. So there are 3 matches that I have not seen and not sure if video footage even exists. If I had to rank the top five I'd go with this:

1. Hostile City Showdown
    2. August 4th(Jim Thorpe, PA)
    3. July 28th(Middletown, NY)
    4. 2 out of 3 Falls Farewell Match
    5. July 21st(Tampa, FL)

The top four of that list will make my final 25 for sure.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The greatest finishers countdown led me towards the following match.

Wrestle-1: August 4th 2005
    Jun Akiyama vs Katsuyori Shibata

It's 2005. Jun Akiyama is a grizzled veteran, having risen to the top during AJPW's golden years and continuing his legacy as one of NOAH's top stars. Shibata is a young rising star from NJPW, who recently left the company and is currently a freelancer. It's around this time Shibata was working for NOAH where he teamed with KENTA in three awesome tag team matches. This is not Shibata's first match against an AJPW great. He wrestled Kawada the previous year, in a short but stiff shoot style match. Now we are in Wrestle-1, the brainchild of Keiji Mutoh. At the time it's not a full-fledged promotion, instead the name attributed to interpromotional shows such as this one. Credit to Strobe for that info.

Shibata looks exactly the same as he does in 2016. Akiyama looks every bit the veteran, with an expression of calm confidence. Shibata doesn't hesitate as the bell rings, immediately charging to Akiyama's corner and striking with a leaping boot to the face, hitting a backdrop driver, and landing two stiff kicks to the skull. One of these kicks opened up a cut and it isn't long before we see Akiyama's blood dripping to the mat. Akiyama drops to the floor, calmly walking around. The calmness quickly subsides when Shibata joins him on the outside. Akiyama enters beast mode, throwing knee after knee into Shibata's stomach. Then he angrily takes the young punk into the crowd and throws a bunch of chairs on him. After this the combatants are separated until they re-enter the ring from opposite sides. The fight resumes, the wrestlers trading strikes. Akiyama hits a backdrop but Shibata keeps his arms wrapped around Akiyama's neck, transitioning into his signature sleeper hold. Shibata released and hits a hard penalty kick. In 2016, this is his finish, but I'm not sure that is true in 2005.

Shibata backs off momentarily before charging in with knees and kicks to the chest. Akiyama bails to the outside, and Shibata paces around, Akiyama's blood tattooing his upper left arm. Shibata eventually decides to follow Akiyama, but the referee blocks him. He in fact tries exceptionally hard to block Shibata, physically standing in his way which elicits a cheer from the crowd. Shibata eventually forces his way past and continues the beatdown. He misses a roundhouse kick, instead kicking the ring post, but Shibata doesn't seem to care, selling for only the briefest moment before continuing. But that brief moment is all Akiyama needs, as he takes control, backdropping Shibata onto the announce desk and smashing a chair onto the wounded leg. Akiyama removes the padding and piledrives Shibata onto the concrete, and adds in a few (mostly protected) chairshots to the back of the head for good measure.

Akiyama gets back in the ring to take a breather. His cut probably stopped bleeding a while ago, the blood that remains on his face is dried. Akiyama doesn't let Shibata get completely in the ring before hitting a violent running knee. For the first time the pace is slowed. Akiyama applies his signature hold, a guillotine choke, but nobody is acting like Shibata is in peril as I'd expect. Shibata fights his way out with punches to the ribs, and the fight is back on. Shibata gets the better of the strike battle with his kicks, culminating in a running dropkick in the corner. Shibata keeps the offense going with an STO and a German suplex. Akiyama ducks a penalty kick and eats an Exploder Suplex. Shibata gets up right away and hits a backdrop. Akiyama gets up, hits a second Exploder. Shibata gets up, penalty kick, and both guys are down. I'm going to guess that this kind of "delayed selling" sequence had not worn out its welcome yet as it did in the 2010s.

Both men get up, and Akiyama strikes the first big blow with a third Exploder into a crossface. After about a minute, Shibata gets to the ropes. Akiyama hits a couple more hard running knees. Shibata kicks out at one and gets up. There's another strike exchange, this time slaps. After a few slaps, Akiyama grabs Shibata and drops him with another Exploder. It looks like Shibata's last gasp. Akiyama hits a penalty kick but Shibata kicks out at two! The crowd approves, but Shibata is basically out. Akiyama hits his killer move, the Wrist Clutch Exploder, without resistance, and pins Shibata for the win.

This is rated by many as 2005's MOTY, and for good reason. The cocky young lion facing the grizzled veteran is a common story in Japanese wrestling, and it's a great one. Especially when the veteran is someone who can turn up the heat to maximum at a moment's notice like Kawada or Akiyama. However, watching through 2016 eyes, I've seen a lot of the sequences and spots in this match many times, but it's likely that those commonalities weren't so common in 2005. So this match wasn't exceptional to me, but certainly a great match. ****1/4.

What's remarkable to me is Shibata's wrestling style. Shibata's moveset and style in 2005 is almost identical to how he wrestles 10 years later. And it's hardly the most sophisticated/varied of movesets. Mostly a lot of kicks and tough guy antics. Yet he's consistently produced compelling matches and is a must-watch wrestler in NJPW.

vCash
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That review seems pretty spot on. Great, hate-filled brawl that probably becomes too much of a standard puro match of the time towards the end, although the delayed selling pop-ups (which are a flaw) still feel more fitting than in most other matches given the role both men are playing, as opposed to just "I'm a hard man" pop ups. **** is about right and I'm a stingy rater.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dean Malenko vs Hector Guerrero
    WCW Monday Nitro, April 14th 1997

This was in the Philadelphia Spectrum the very next night after ECW Barely Legal. During the opening of the show they focus on a couple of Four Horsemen marks in the crowd with matching Horsemen t-shirts and the big Four Horsemen foam fingers, then they pan the camera over just a little bit and there is Straw Hat Guy and his longtime accomplice from the front row of the ECW Arena, Sunglasses Guy. I used this shot for my fan fiction to set the mood for ECW's debut at the Spectrum(November to Remember 2001). Those fans were some real diehards, going to ECW Barely Legal at the bingo hall and then WCW Monday Nitro at the Spectrum a few blocks down the road the next night, pretty sweet.

After a nice opener with Benoit vs The Barbarian we get this match. It's only 3 minutes but it's really really good for 3 minutes. Hector looks like a pretty good worker. They go through some sweet counter/reversal sequences before Hector sends Dean through the ropes to the floor during a battle for the Abdominal Stretch. Then he hits Dean with a nice Vader Bomb style plancha off the apron to the floor(while Dean is standing). Dean finishes it with a tiger bomb into the Texas Cloverleaf for the submission. Matches like this make pro wrestling look real, like it's it's own little fighting style and this was a competition fought under those rules. Excellent little short match.

Dean keeps the hold on until Eddie comes out with his arm in a sling. Eddie and Dean have a little face off in the isle mouthing back and forth at each other for a bit until Eddie goes to check on Hector.

Edit: Man, Public Enemy come out to such a great reaction on this show(wearing Philadelphia Flyers jerseys). They brawl with High Voltage in a ECW weapons style brawl and the crowd is hot for the whole thing. They put one of the guys through a double stack table. This is worth finding and watching for ECW fans. Great moment.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 09-01-2016 at 11:02 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Public Enemy were over. Even in WCW 96 when they were relegated to the Nasty Boys whipping boys, WCW fans ate up their entrance and got into their high spots.

Of all the booking issues WCW had, their inability to make their tag team roster stand out maybe the biggest.

Fortunately the Outsiders came in and really boosted the tag team division. Since Sting/Luger were stuck in a perpetual state, the division barely advanced beyond teams working a bunch of meaningless series against one another. At least the Outsiders were a fresh act that the fans believed in so beating them was seen as a big deal.

Oh, and I'm glad to see you give Hector some love. Benoit/Eddie must have faced each other 50 times in 1996 (TV, Live Events, NJPW etc.) but my favourite Benoit v Guerrero match was the one with Hector on a November Nitro in 96. Eddie may have had Hector beat in facets like execution, but in terms or projecting a character, Hector was more effective at involving the crowd.

vCash
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure where else to put this, but this is a cool collection WWE has added to the Network:

http://network.wwe.com/shows/collections/199116030/

s u r r e n d e r

***Take part in PW's Match of the Year 2016 Tournament in the Wide World of Wrestling**
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showt...53#post4407453

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gary Spivey of the Psychic Companion's Network?! What are you doing here?!

Mr Wonderful was robbed an Emmy.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you may have noticed the other match review threads have been de-stickied. We decided to make an executive decision and keep the original as the one stop shop. As such, I'm keen to know, what wrestling is everyone watching? Anybody watched any good matches lately?

Currently I've been catching up on a lot of Impact Wrestling. While it appears the vultures are well and truly circling, for the past couple of years, I've heard TNA has been reasonable and I've enjoyed it for what it is whenever I've tuned in. The only issue is that I usually only catch the one episode and then I skip on it for six weeks. It's prevented me from gaining a grasp on the promotion, motivating me to acquire a handful of recent shows to get a feel for the promotion.

So far I've watched through the 1st of September to the 15th of September edition. One of the highlights of the show, and the one character that has fans talking is 'Broken' Matt Hardy. It's an obtuse direction for Matt Hardy and while I don't subscribe to it being the greatest gimmick of all-time or anything ridiculous, I appreciate it on it's own merits. I feel like Matt Hardy's career had gone in every direction it possibly could have, there was nothing compelling for him to do other than ride off into the sunset. Undergoing this change has reinvigorated his character, and he's easily the most unpredictible character in all of wrestling. As I've been watching these episodes, I've caught myself wondering what he's going to say next and I very rarely pick it. His choice of words is incredibly disarming and the way the character and his 'platoon' behave is refreshing. While I don't necessarily get emotionally invested, I find that it's perfectly situated on the card as a side-show. In terms of character remakes, I'd consider the Broken Matt Hardy one of the better nominees. It certainly speaks to TNA's creativity, as they've managed to get more milage out of guys like Derrick Bateman and Bubba Ray Dudley.

Speaking of EC3 (Bateman), his opponent at Bound For Glory, Bobby Lashley, maybe the best Champion in Pro Wrestling right now. When I look at other wrestlers like Owens, I don't buy into him as a champion because he basically won it due to Triple H. Styles hasn't been established and ROH's relationship with NJPW makes Cole look like a peon. Lashley carries himself like Brock Lesnar, is booked well and his matches are completely acceptable main event affairs. I recently watched a match he had against Eddie Edwards at Destination X (July 12th, 2016) which was a really solid big man v little man match-up. I must admit I was a little sceptical of Lashley and his 'supposed' improvement but it's certainly noticeable and I'd argue he's (or at least was) the best champion of 2016.

Run-Down Of The Show So Far...

Maria Kanellis-Bennett: Is terribly cartoonish. Sadly she's the biggest star on the roster, but her character is so wicked and vile that it's difficult to buy into anything that she says. Unfortunately she has the nasty habit of rambling and despite being booked in some quality heat-gaining segments she isn't quite as over as she should be.

The Grand Championship - Faux MMA with three 3 minute rounds where matches can be decided by decision. Currently there's a tournament taking place that seems to be leading to an Aaron Rex (Damien Sandow) vs Drew Galloway (McIntyre) final. It's too early to write off yet, but there's some teething problems that needs to be addressed.

Rockstar Spud - This guy just gets wrestling. He's relatively small for a Pro Wrestler, but he gets the show business side and it's easy to see where the character is coming from. Currently he's embroiled in a feud with Braxton Suttor who accidentally caused him to suffer the humilation of wearing adult braces. It's clear motivation and led to a brutal empty arena match which saw Spud take the pin and spit up blood.

One final note, it's really weird to watch a program without a clearly defined top babyface. By rights, EC3 is the man, but the character is supposed to be the spoiled nephew of Dixie Carter who was the biggest bully on the roster not that long ago. I could be wrong, but outside of just facing other despicible human beings, I don't recall him going under any other character development? There's also former ROH powerhouse Moose, but he was brought in by Mike Bennett and only just turned on him recently after Bennett screwed him out of a championship match. It just seems to be the story of TNA's existence, their inability to create top babyfaces for the fans to get behind and go crazy for.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post

Gary Spivey of the Psychic Companion's Network?! What are you doing here?!

Mr Wonderful was robbed an Emmy.

what wrestling is everyone watching?
    Been watching a bunch of WWE dvd's from the library. I'll highlight one match from each.

Had the most fun watching Hart Foundation vs. Twin Towers from some Bret Hart set that also included Bret/Perfect and Bret/Jean Pierre Lafitte. Anvil had his usual good hot tag, Bret did the old slingshot splash, and it was fun seeing the hefty Twin Towers bumble around and bounce into each other like they were The Quebecers in their prime. The Bret/Owen blowoff from a '95 Raw was super disappointing. Talk about going out with a whimper....

Ted Dibiase vs. One Man Gang from the Giants set featured an all time great Jim Ross performance on commentary and I enjoyed the match layout. Gang's second rope splash to finish was boss.

An Unreleased Attitude Era set featuring mostly PPV dark matches and foreign house show matches was highlighted by Owen & Bulldog vs. Bret & Taker from Kuwait. Kuwaiti crowd was awesome. They were so into it cheering the faces (especially Bret) and booing the heels (especially Bulldog) like crazy. Just an average match but the crowd gives it an extra star. Bulldog, not known as the most charismatic guy, was actually the star of this hamming it up like a champ to further infuriate the already hot crowd. Even Owen took a backseat to the antics of the other bizarre one. It's worth noting that a Michaels/Austin match from the same show had nowhere near the crowd heat of the Bret tag. The first WWF Triple Threat of Bret vs. Michaels vs. Sid from Toronto had a cool finish with Bret being pinned by Michaels.....in 1997 Canada. Wasn't expecting that.

Then came an ECW Unreleased set. I was down on ECW (and Attitude Era) stuff for about the last year or two. Just wasn't feeling it anymore. Well, that changed. I enjoyed the ECW set more than any of the others.....at least until Disc 3 when ECW got shitty. Continuing the theme of unlikely stars in tag matches, Kronus was the standout performer of a Big Dick & D'Von vs. Gangstas vs. Eliminators match. I enjoyed the somewhat famous Douglas vs. Scorpio TV Title change much more this time around. Scorp took some sick bumps and Shane wasn't afraid to get kicked really hard. Early Dreamer was fun to see. Sandman's flying elbow drop must be seen to be believed. Let's just say he is no Randy Savage Taz/Jericho EXTREME HARDCORE SHOOT FIGHT~! was stupid. Even the hosts Styles & Dreamer (who had good chemistry and shared some fun stories) shit on it in the hype video. There's a fun Raven/Dreamer match/segment on there. Taz/Sabu/Bigelow was an aimless mess that went on forever. Storm & Candido vs. Sabu & RVD was a fun action fest. Finally saw the awesome-on-paper Steiners & Eddie vs. Cactus/Dean/Scorpio match. Eddie & Steiners were super over as I was reminded by what smark darlings the Steiners were back in the mid 90s. Fun match with one huge botch and a surprise finish in Dean pinning Eddie. Dudleyz vs. Balls & Spike had a good closing run and a hot crowd. Spike getting powerbombed through stacked flaming tables on the floor was as nutty as it gets. Finally saw the build up to the infamous chair shower. Douglas/Snow was AWFUL. I remembered hating it because the wrong guy won but the match itself is dreadful. Some of the weakest punches you will ever see preceded a botched finish. Oh, but it gets better. The locker room comes out to lift both guys on their shoulders for the XTREME HANDSHAKE~! while Styles prattles on about what a classic we just witnessed. Gag. Unintentionally comedy at its finest. All in all, the first two discs were a good time while the 3rd disc remains mostly unwatched.

History of Wrestlemania is a fun trip down memory lane. Vince himself really gets into discussing the first few 'Mania's. It's obvious that he sees that period as the pinnacle of his company and why not? I reckon it's much more fun to be conquering the world than lording over a world you have already conquered. The Donald pops up a few times as a talking head. As does The Hulkster. Wrestlemania's 11-13 are quickly glossed over. Even 9 got a longer segment. It's interesting to note that even the talking heads question the lack of Flair/Hogan at 8. I took a break after 13.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a slew of WWE DVDs from the early 2010s where you just have to take it with a grain of salt. Hogan was the figurehead of the rival promotion, so they try and distance themselves from him as much as possible. In fact, that seems to be true for anything post-SummerSlam 2006. The cherry on top was the Top 50 Greatest WWE Superstars Of All-Time where Hogan appears at #23, one place above Bruno Sammartino.

It's been a few years since I've sat through a WWE set. I think the last one may have been the Foley set way back in 2013. I've got to remedy that so I'll see what jumps out at me. For the time being, I may have to check some of those matches out, Bake. The One Man Gang/Dibiase match in particular sounds like something I'd be really into. I think I'm going to compile a list of matches and make an effort to watch matches that people toss up.

Also caught the Tod Gordon shoot interview. It's difficult to remember all the different factoids, but he goes into depth about the pre-Paul E years and helps explain why ECW heading into 1994 was such an exciting promotion. The biggest thing I picked up was the different cliqs in ECW and how there was the Tod Gordon guys v the Paul E guys. I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but whenever you generally hear about ECW, it's portrayed as this big happy family which always seemed hard to believe.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a slew of WWE DVDs from the early 2010s where you just have to take it with a grain of salt. Hogan was the figurehead of the rival promotion, so they try and distance themselves from him as much as possible. In fact, that seems to be true for anything post-SummerSlam 2006. The cherry on top was the Top 50 Greatest WWE Superstars Of All-Time where Hogan appears at #23, one place above Bruno Sammartino.
    Oh, of course. It's always been that way with Vince. Part of the fun from these things derives from seeing where people stand in WWE lore at any given time. I get a kick out of the political side of things. Here they are fawning all over The Hulkster yet a few years later he is less of a WWE superstar than Edge, Rey Mysterio and a bunch of other people of that ilk. Brock, Angle, Warrior and Flair (to a lesser extent) were hugely glossed over in the Wrestlemania set.

It's been a few years since I've sat through a WWE set. I think the last one may have been the Foley set way back in 2013.
    It had been a while for me too. I picked one up on a whim and just kept going.

Forgot to mention my amusement over Mustafa Malenko~! on the ECW set. I had no real memory of The Other Gangsta. Like I couldn't tell you a single thing he did in the ring. So it was a neat surprise to see him bust out a few dropkicks (and not bad ones!) along with a suplex or two. He was also in pretty good shape. But Kronus, man. He was a hoot in that match.

vCash
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I loved the Taz/Sabu/Bigelow triple threat, yes it went on for over 40 minutes but I don't remember too many dull moments.

I rewatched Goldberg vs. Lesnar from Wrestlemania XX just to jog my memory on how bad it was. It was the perfect shit storm of an entitled crowd (Wah! They're leaving us!) and two workers who couldn't adjust to the crowd. They were going for the Hogan/Warrior template of "who is stronger?" which was the totally wrong approach given the hostile crowd. They should have just went with bombs from the get go so the crowd be reminded of how talented and explosive these two athletes are. Instead we just get a series of collar and elbow ties ups, push offs and shoulder tackles which ends in an abrupt spear and Jackhammer. Shitty crowd and a shitty effort put in by both. They should have had more pride to try and win the crowd over but then again the crowd should have put the dirt sheet crap aside and try to enjoy and appreciate the moment more.

vCash
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stayed up watching Raw all night last night and ended up falling asleep there towards the end, completely missing Goldberg the one thing I tuned in for. Wasn't a bad show or anything just totally exhausted right now, I can't believe it's fucking 90 degrees here right now in middle of October, this fucking global warming shit is for real! But anyways, what did Goldberg do @The Icon @Big Pete? I remember watching the Mania XX match a couple years ago and thinking it was really not that bad. Not as bad as I was expecting it to be anyway.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 10-18-2016 at 07:26 PM.

Thread Information