Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

The appeal of Saturday Night in my view was having Tenay and Hudson on the show. With those two at the booth, you felt like you were listening to two passionate WCW fans dissect the show and watching all of this up and coming talent put all the major angles in perspective. The other aspect I like is that the shows have a steady flow to them. At times watching a Nitro or a Thunder can be harsh, especially when segments over-stay their welcome and drag the show down. At times watching Thunder felt like I was watching a morgue. However with Saturday Night every match lasts about 5-8 minutes, promos last a few minutes and the recaps are there if you want to watch them otherwise you can tune them out while you focus on something else.

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ROH TV 6/11/17

*Jay Briscoe promo. He's pissed at Dalton's Castle's Boys for costing him a recent match. Like half of this promo is bleeped

Marty Scurll (c) vs. KUSHIDA- TV Title Match

This was what I expected from these two- shitty indie style wrestling with lots of superkicks and move trading. We get a sports entertainment finish with Adam Cole dressing like "The Villain" for the distraction. KUSHIDA hit a pretty cool move I'm going to call a Fisherman's Bomb (like an advanced Fisherman's Buster) to win the title.

Verdict- Under **

*I didn't see the rest of the show.

ROH TV 6/18/17

Silas Young & Beer City Bruiser vs. Bobby Fish & Jay Lethal

Caught this joined in progress. Silas is feuding with Lethal & Fish with Lethal being his main rival and Fish as the company's forgotten man. He's done little since his partner Kyle O'Reilly left. BCB hit his cool apron cannonball dive. Silas pinned Lethal again. This time with his version of Marc Mero's TKO. I'm starting to think Lethal is going over at their PPV match since Silas has pinned him a bunch of times now (Spoiler Alert: That's exactly what happened.) Crowd does not share my enthusiasm for Silas as the finish was met with crickets.

Punishment Martinez vs. Joey "Diesel" Daddiego

Daddiego is the former Jay Diesel. He's a babyface now aligned with Cheeseburger & Will Ferrara in a jobber stable so lame even Teddy Long would turn them down. This sucked. Heatless and dull with hilariously bad "monster" spots from Martinez. Goto should be in the running for Wrestling of the Year for somehow carrying this turd to a *** match. I'm not even sure Slick Ric could have pulled that off. Anyway, Martinez wins with his stupid chokeslam. Cheeseburger & Will Ferrara come out to help their friend. They too feel the wrath of the world's worst Kane until Jay White arrives on the scene to stop the carnage. Looks like Martinez vs. White will be our next program. Go Jay Go!

Kingdom vs. The Boys

The Kingdom are only good for two things.

1. A pretty cool entrance.
    2. Calling people Melvins.

This had neither of those things so it sucked. Kingdom jumped the Boys on their way to the ring. Lots of floor fighting. Dalton Castle arrived which made them go in the ring. Kingdom won in like a minute. Taven is currently feuding with Lucha star Ultimo Guerrero and stole his cool finisher- a reverse superplex- for the win to make a statement.

Post-match sees a still fired up Jay Briscoe arrive to yell at The Boys. Castle intervenes. Bully Ray & Mark arrive to try calming Jay down. This feud is stupid. This whole promotion is stupid.

The Addiction & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Hirooki Goto/Will Ospreay/Gedo or Jado

Yeah, I can't remember if it was Gedo or Jado. Sue me. Nothing match with everybody half assing it. Well, maybe not The Addiction, but they suck even whole assing it. Ospreay was the best of the NJPW guys since Ospreay half-assing means he only does two flips on everything as opposed to four. It's much more tolerable. I would say this was a waste of Tanahashi but he never tries very hard in America. Team Tanahashi gets the win with a High Fly Flow followed by Best Moonsault Ever on Gedo (or was it Jado?).

*Show ends with most of the major player getting a few seconds to talk about their upcoming PPV matches. Appreciate the thought but none of these promos were very good.

Verdict- Worst ROH show I've seen this year. Nothing came close to cracking **. These shows are becoming a chore.

vCash
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ROH TV 6/28/17

Flip Gordon vs. Jonathan Gresham

Two fresh, newer guys with their own distinct styles. This could be good.

And it was. Gresham did his 'technical' stuff, working over Flip's arm. While Flip did his athletic high flying, once again getting big pops. It got a little too superkicky/back brain kicky down the stretch for my liking but I still enjoyed this. Gresham gets the win with his Octopus submission. Gresham is good. Flip is money. Hoping both guys move up the card soon. Alex Shelley provided commentary and congratulated Flip on a fine performance after the match.

Josh Woods promo. He randomly challenges Jay Briscoe to a match. I don't know where they're going with Woods. Not even sure if he is supposed to be a heel or a face.

Silas Young vs. Bobby Fish

Once again my hopes were high. Their previous tv match was the best Bobby Fish singles match I have seen.

But this didn't quite live up to expectations. It was alright. Just not as good as their last encounter, or another brawl they had. The intensity was down a notch this time around and the finish was anticlimactic as well. Silas won with his finisher on the first try (a rarity in this day and age for even a semi-important match like this) to little reaction. Probably because the Chicago crowd expected a kickout. Don't know where Fish goes from here. He's become an afterthought and rumors of him leaving have been circulating for months.

Jay White vs. Punishment Martinez

This was just kind of there, which I guess we can consider a win since Punishment Martinez was involved. Not the best. Not the worst. I liked White's deadlift German on the largish Martinez. Lots of secondary finisher kickouts down the stretch. Punishment is at least better in competitive matches than he is in squashes. White gets the win with a nifty rollup. We get some post-match fighting leading to Martinez giving White a Last Ride through a table. This feud must continue. Can't say I'm thrilled.

Verdict- Alright show this week. Much better than the last few. Gordon vs. Gresham was the standout match and I'm still backing this Silas Young push.

Thread Information