Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    That was a stellar sunset flip.

Here is the challenger.

https://youtu.be/5VCW7xxi-yg?t=1m28s
    That's a good one. It looks like he tried to hook the shoulders on the way down, which would make it the undisputed GOAT. I think your boy, The Gambler, fucked it up a little.

vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    That's a good one. It looks like he tried to hook the shoulders on the way down, which would make it the undisputed GOAT. I think your boy, The Gambler, fucked it up a little.
    My boy The Gambler fucked up a lot in this match Hey, I didn't like him because he was Chris Benoit in the ring. I liked him because he was a jobber with a gimmick.

I half think it was supposed to be a regular leapfrog but Gambler fucked that up too and Boone improvised by turning it into a sunset flip.

vCash
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My boy The Gambler fucked up a lot in this match Hey, I didn't like him because he was Chris Benoit in the ring. I liked him because he was a jobber with a gimmick.

I half think it was supposed to be a regular leapfrog but Gambler fucked that up too and Boone improvised by turning it into a sunset flip.

I don't think he messed up. He doesn't appear to run through the move, or try to, and it's a flawless sunset flip attempt. I think that was by design.

vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick Rude Does All Japan

So there I was last night searching for Dr. Death Steve Williams matches to watch like any normal wrestling fan would when what should appear but Rick Rude teaming with Doc & Gordy in All Japan! I had no idea Rude worked All Japan and had been meaning to watch some AJPW anyway. So let's get to it.

Rick Rude/Steve Williams/Terry Gordy vs. Mitsuharu Misawa/Toshiaki Kawada/Kikuchi- AJPW July 1991

Rude & the Miracle Violence Connection is such a cool team that makes me want to fantasy book a theoretical early 90s King of Trios tournament. Rude wasn't around those guys much over the years. He might have been in World Class at the same time as Gordy but I'm not even sure he would have been in the same locker room with Doc at any point before this.
    Edit: Ah, come to think of it Rude was briefly a babyface jobber in Mid South (a rare Bill Watts misfire) so he would have met Doc back then.

Think this is only the second time I've seen legendary rivals Misawa & Kawada team while I believe it's my first time seeing Kikuchi in action. He has a good reputation as a plucky underdog babyface.

Rick Rude has thankfully gotten a haircut but his all time great mustache and artistic trunks remain. He gets a big reaction merely for disrobing. This was joined in progress. We got about fifteen minutes of action and the action was good. I was skeptical about Rude in All Japan. I've seen 80s & 90s US stars bomb in Japan. I was aware of Rude having a famous match with Chono a year later in NJPW but All Japan and New Japan are different animals. But my fears were for naught. Rude fit right in. He'd have made a quality long term AJPW gaijin had he taken that path. Rude eschewed the theatrics in favor of the more hard-nosed, no frills All Japan style. He hit a missile dropkick, two DDTs, a nasty piledriver on Kikuchi, and filled time with good, solid no-nonsense clubbering. He also took a Kikuchi german suplex.

Kikuchi took a beating for a little while before tagging out. It soon broke loose after Gordy interfered. Heels took over when Gordy irish whipped Kawada into the barricade and followed it up with a chairshot which the ref let slide.

Kawada played face in peril for a few minutes which surprised me as I have been lead to believe Kikuchi perfected that role as a sort of Ricky Morton of All Japan. Heels worked Kawada over with basic stuff for a pretty long time. My mind did start to wander once while Kawada was in a hold but this mental lapse did not last too long. Kawada tried fighting back with his famous kicks but they had little effect against the two monster gaijin and their chiseled partner.

Kawada never really made a hot tag....or a tag, period (unless I missed it?), which annoyed me. It broke loose again and one of Kawada's partners simply took over for him. Doc hit his quality spinebuster at some point.

Gordy & Kikuchi made the bulk of the saves for their respective teams. Kikuchi came off as a pesky little bugger. Sort of a pest for good if such a thing can exist. While Gordy was more of an out of control wildman who would also stomp around and take cheapshots at the natives standing on the apron whenever possible. Gordy even tried to piledrive or powerbomb Misawa on the exposed concrete! Terry was the star of the match imo.

It eventually came down to a Misawa vs. Gordy showdown while the other four men were fighting on the floor. Misawa hit a few of his famous forearms and even a Tiger Driver but Gordy would not stay down. The former Freebird eventually came back with a powerbomb for a near fall and a second powerbomb did the deal. Gordy pins Misawa for the win. Have to admit I wasn't expecting that. If the heels were going to win, I imagined the fall would come at Kikuchi's expense. Didn't expect Misawa to stay down for Gordy.

Verdict- ***+ Good, heated match with a pretty hot crowd. Almost a brawl, actually. Felt like a barely-contained gang fight at times. Transport this to an 80s territory and the rematch would certainly be some sort of No Holds Barred Come As You Are Streetfight with the good guys getting the big blowoff win.

Rick Rude/Terry Gordy/Steve Williams vs. Jumbo Tsuruta & Two Guys- AJPW July 1991

This was a special unlisted bonus match on the video I watched. I recognized Jumbo but not his nondescript looking partners.

Rude again gets a big response for disrobing. This was like a lesser version of the previous match. The heels would work over one of the Two Guys. Other Guy would get the tag and hit a brief flurry of offense before the gaijin once again assumed control. Doc hit a pretty wimpy spinebuster this time around but also provided a highlight by taunting Jumbo. There was another cool moment where One Guy started throwing punches at all three gaijin. Doc went for a back suplex but Guy kept swinging away. Doc eventually hit the suplex. It wasn't smooth at all. But in a good way. Guy had spunk. Basically, Two Guys came across as jobbers but Jumbo finally got the tag and came in as a house afire. He hit some high knees. The high knee is cool in my book. It has certain aesthetic qualities when done by HHH & Race even if it doesn't really look like it hurts too much. I don't think Jumbo threw his high knee any harder than those other guys but the heels bumped & sold for it like it was death. First time I can recall the high knee coming off as a sort of dangerous move. We did get the teased Jumbo/Doc showdown before Jumbo makes the mistake of tagging out. Guy takes several back suplexes. It breaks loose. Doc hits the Stampede. Guy's partner saves him. Then Doc simply follows up with a sort of baby Stampede for the win. Didn't like that finish much but I suppose it works if Two Guys really are jobbers.

Verdict- *** Solid meat and potatoes match that went about ten minutes with a clear story.

*Edit- Turns out Two Guys were Akira Taue and somebody called Mighty Inoue. I didn't recognize Taue which is weird as he's a pretty recognizable guy being tall and gangly. Maybe it's because he just didn't stand out as a bigger guy against sneaky big hosses like Doc & Gordy?

I want to give some love to the All Japan announcer. Always thought that guy was great and have long viewed him as the JR of Japan even if I only understand about .1% of what he says. Such enthusiasm! TIGAAAHHH DRIVAAAAAHHHH! LARIATOOOO! And in the first match I reviewed DEEEE DEEEE TEEEEEEEEEEE!

Then there's the quieter guy with the really deep voice. I've always thought that was Baba. Is it? If not, it should be. Because that's exactly what Baba sounds like in my head. And my brother agrees with me. @Emperor? @Strobe?
    Last edited by Baker; 05-25-2017 at 10:50 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I caught Thunder for September 3rd 1998 sometime over the last weekend, didn't really have any time to post about it and my notes got erased when I posted about Fall Brawl 95. Looking up the results for this to refresh my memory. Oh yeah, Wrath squashes Barry Horowitz, I remember that. This little Wrath push was pretty fucking awesome looking back at it, big man was on it.

Movies for Guys Who Like Movies is Big Trouble in Little China, eh, never been a huge fan of that one.

Kaz Hayashi is getting a little push here. The 2 minute match he had with Malenko was pretty sweet, even though Kaz lost he got in a few moves and came out looking ok. Kaz gets a win here over Lenny Lane. They say that he might be the next big international sensation on commentary.

I like the angle they did with Raven vs Meng, instead of the match between Raven and Meng we get Raven's rules change, this match is now a handicapped match, Meng vs Sick Boy and some other Flock j-brone I can't remember. Along with Wrath Meng is being pushed pretty well over the last few shows I've watched. He runs through these two jabrones and then Lodi forces Saturn to face him. They are doing an angle where Saturn is keeping his word, Raven cost him the match with Lodi where the stipulation was that Saturn had to become Lodi's lackey. Lodi forces Saturn to face Meng and it's on. Awesome little showdown until Kanyon kicks Saturn in the back of the head. Meng puts Saturn down with the Tongan. The Flock leaves Saturn to get choked out, the angle carries on nicely with Saturn vs Flock and Meng is still a bad ass. Well done. Saturn didn't actually lose since I don't think it was ever an official match, I never heard a bell.

Back from the break and Kanyon comes out to face Saturn, who is out of it. Kanyon beats up on Saturn until Saturn makes a comeback with some Tazplexes. Lodi gets up on the apron and tells Saturn to let Kanyon hit him with the flatliner. Saturn is a man of his word so he reluctantly lets Kanyon drop him. Kanyon gets the pin. Not sure how I like that, but it builds to Saturn snapping and kicking Lodi's ass, all building to Raven vs Saturn at War Games.

Also really like this Dean Malenko vs Curt Hennig feud that has been going on since a few episodes back on Saturday Night. Malenko gets beat up by Hennig in a pretty good segment where Hennig plays a good heel(and he's in really great physical shape here). It's all playing off of War Games 97 where Hennig pretty much killed the Horsemen by double crossing them and joining NWO. Malenko gets laid out with some fencing laid over his body. Later on the show we get the news that we will have Hennig vs Malenko in a steel cage next week on Nitro. I do not remember that, I'm stoked to watch it.

Ugh, Norman Smiley push has begun, he pins one of the Flock Guys, Sick Boy who is still hurt from the Meng attack earlier in the show.

Armstrong Brothers vs Disco and Alex Wright, eek.

Main event is DDP and Konnan vs Giant and Stevie Ray, shit fest. Turns into a Schmozz like every single Nitro and Thunder main event was. Goldberg comes out and spears Brian Adams and that's a wrap. This was not a good show, I remember liking Saturday Night that week much more. This actually felt more like an episode of Saturday Night C-show. Thunder was worthless by this point.

WCW Saturday Night for September 5th was better than Thunder. Ernest The Cat Miller beats Bull Pain and cuts a promo after the match that was actually pretty good. He's starting to turn heel here.

Lodi vs Brad Armstrong was really good. Armstrong fucks Lodi up, Lodi wrestles like a totally clueless putz who doesn't know anything. Saturn is out ringside and Lodi keeps trying to get him to cheer for him. Lodi can't wrestle and gets owned by Armstrong. Saturn is a man of his word so he's forced to help Lodi win it by dropping Brad with a Death Valley Driver while the ref is distracted. The funny part was Lodi trying to put a sleeper on Brad Armstrong to get the finish, like he didn't know how to do one but it didn't matter because Brad was out anyways. This was well done.

Scott Norton vs Bobby Eaton, I can't remember anything about this match other than some chest choppin. Unfortunately I can't really remember much of anything about this show. Juvy vs Evan Kerragius, Raven vs Renegade, The Giant just absolutely squashes Van Hammer with a chokeslam and a pin after about 30 seconds.

Main event was DDP vs Curt Hennig. This was actually really good. Dean Malenko comes out and helps DDP get the win, crowd pops HUUUUGE for the Diamond Cutter and DDP celebrates in the crowd after the match. Really good ending. This was better than Thunder. I'm looking forward to watching Malenko vs Curt Hennig Cage Match but something tells me since I can't remember it from back in the day it ends up being a non-match angle/schmozz, or something really awesome was happening on Raw.

Moving on to the go-home week for Fall Brawl War Games 1998!!
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-25-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice finds, Baker. I had no idea Rick Rude wrestled in AJPW either. In the past I have gone through the early 90s AJPW but nowhere near as thoroughly as I am doing in my thread.

Heels took over when Gordy irish whipped Kawada into the barricade and followed it up with a chairshot which the ref let slide.
    Never any DQs in Japan. Weapon use is frowned upon (as in the crowd usually boos) but there's never a disqualification or even any sort of warning. Breaking the rules in general is very rare because honour and respect is very big in Japan. Even an is-that-really-against-the-rules? move like Taue tossing his opponents throat first on the ropes gets him a lot of crowd heat.

Kawada played face in peril for a few minutes which surprised me as I have been lead to believe Kikuchi perfected that role as a sort of Ricky Morton of All Japan.
    You are right about Kikuchi's role but that doesn't mean he has to play the role every single match. AJPW doesn't do formulas! That said, Kikuchi being isolated at length is the closest you'll get to a guaranteed spot in an AJPW match. Happens at least 75% of the time because he's a junior and it's easy for the heavies to soak his offense and throw him around. Also in 1991 Kawada is far from a top guy. He's midcard level. Maybe upper midcard. Gordy and Doc beating him up is expected.

Didn't expect Misawa to stay down for Gordy.
    This is not a huge shocker but noteworthy. It's almost always the lesser guys that get pinned in these matches. Terry Gordy is a former Triple Crown champion and Misawa, while a top star at that point, was not yet the near-invincible demigod he would go on to be. Gordy, Hansen, Jumbo and Misawa are more or less equal as the four top guys in the company. Maybe Gordy was getting built up to challenge for the Triple Crown. I think Hansen and Jumbo hogged the belt throughout 1990/91.

Turns out Two Guys were Akira Taue and somebody called Mighty Inoue. I didn't recognize Taue which is weird as he's a pretty recognizable guy being tall and gangly. Maybe it's because he just didn't stand out as a bigger guy against sneaky big hosses like Doc & Gordy?
    If you've never seen Taue before you wouldn't recognise him, but he has a signature look just like the other guys. You've come across a rare Mighty Inoue match! Guess in 1991 he was a big enough deal to feature in an upper card tag match.

Pretty sure the deep voiced chap is Baba. Strobe can confirm.

vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    If you've never seen Taue before you wouldn't recognise him, but he has a signature look just like the other guys.
    But that's the thing. I have seen Taue before and should have recognized him. Oh well.

Thanks for the comments and providing some backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Movies for Guys Who Like Movies is Big Trouble in Little China, eh, never been a huge fan of that one.

and here I was thinking we were friends.....

Well, to be fair, I too hated that movie for the longest time. My brother would always watch it. Used to drive me crazy. But it eventually grew on me and now I love it. So I still have hope that you'll come around.

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big Trouble in Little China might be the thing that breaks the Triple Threat up. Ol' Jack Burton is a national treasure,

vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's climb aboard the ol' Pork Chop Express for another match review.

Demolition vs. Brady Boone & Scott Casey- WWF Superstars 10/31/87

Watched this the other night after seeing Boone vs. Gambler. This was a memorable segment as evidenced by the Youtube comments.

Boone looks like a pint sized Billy Jack Haynes, which means something to maybe three people here Casey was a journeyman from Texas who wrestled in a bunch of territories I never really watched. He has pretty good size and sports a 'stache. I had no recollection of him from my youth. In fact, reading about somebody called Scott Casey appearing at Survivor Series 1987 back in the PWI Almanac always intrigued me in a "Who the hell is Scott Casey? I don't remember him." sort of way. Boone & Casey were two of the more high profile face jobbers at the time. Boone usually gets in some offense and Casey actually worked a ppv!.....somehow.

Demolition come out in full costume to their fantastic theme. Young Baker found Demolition terrifying and may have hid behind the couch when they appeared. I can't say for sure but if I didn't it's only because I did not want to risk being made fun of by my dad and brother. Jesse is fantastic talking about being a heavy metal fan and trolling Bruno. "Hey Bruno, you ever listen to heavy metal?" Of course Bruno has not. I can totally buy Jesse being a metal fan.

Demolition work over Boone early with their trademark clubbering. Cool spot as a member of Demolition (I still have trouble telling them apart and the grainy video doesn't help) goes for a gut punch but Boone evades with a leap and gymnatics-style roll. He sort of did a safe Swanton over his opponent. Tag to Casey. He also slips in a cool spot by hitting a dropkick and going for another but missing when the Demolition member evades. Casey lands on the rope off his missed dropkick and takes a nice bump. Demolition also work Casey over with their clubbering and I hate to say this as a Demolition fan (I stopped being terrified of them and thought they were awesome the moment they beat stupid Strike Force for the belts) but their patented clubberin' doesn't really hold up. Billy Jack Haynes cuts an inset promo putting over his 'cousin' Brady Boone. Think this match marked the first time that relationship was announced. You'll learn why in a few minutes. Casey eventually makes the hot tag to Boone. Boone is a house of fire hitting forearms, dropkicks and even a Zbyszko Kick. The kid has spunk. Boone goes for a frankensteiner! Caught! And for a second I think we're about to see the second Drip Dry in WWF history. Alas, we settle for a (very nicely executed) Hot Shot instead. Demolition finishes Boone off with their badass Demolition Decapitation finisher a short time later.

But it's not over yet! Demolition hits another! Won't someone please think of the children! And a third! Good gawd! Brady Boone is dead! But here comes Billy Jack Haynes for the save! He cleans house.....until he doesn't! Oh no! Demolition just hit The Master of the Full Nelson with a Demolition Decapitation! But wait! Here comes Billy Jack's friend, and fellow Oregonian, the Olympic strongman Ken Patera! Patera is a house of fire.....until he is doused! Now Patera eats a Demolition Decapitation! It's total carnage! Demolition leaves a trail of bodies in their wake having just taken out not one, not two, but three babyfaces, two of whom Matter. Demolition are now made men. By the way, where was Scott Casey during all this mayhem? What a wimp! I'd be out for blood if I were Boone, Haynes or Patera. He left them hanging high and dry. On the other hand, perhaps he's the only babyface with a brain. He knew what Demolition was capable of and wanted to live to see another Halloween.

Verdict- Not a bad competitive squash, actually. But the real highlight here is the postmatch beatdown. This was a memorable segment which made Demolition. The Youtube comments will back me up. They came out of this looking like the baddest dudes on the planet. They just about murdered poor Brady Boone. Then they took out two fresh, relatively big name babyfaces. There was no stopping them after this. Like many of those Youtube commenters, I vividly remember this 30 years later. It made me even more terrified of Demolition than I already was.

Fun Fact: Ultimate Warrior also made an early apperance (either his first or second depending on who you want to believe) on this memorable episode of Superstars. He was in a 10 man battle royal won by....
    Bam Bam Bigelow! Ultimate Warrior wouldn't lose another televised match for nearly two years. Believe it or not, I distinctly remember that Battle Royal too.

Next time we'll meet....

The man who makes things better....
    He'll take out all the swear words and violence....
    He does no drugs or alcohol, pays his taxes, and gives to charity....
    He is...

"The Local Hero" Joe Hendry!
    Last edited by Baker; 05-26-2017 at 09:58 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watched the September 7th 1998 episode of Nitro last night. Really not much going on. Wrath crushes Lenny Lane but not as good of a squash as some of his previous matches. Chris Jericho defends the TV title by submitting Jim Niedhardt. This was also the episode where Goldberg squashes Scott Putski, I remember talking about this with my friends in school back in the day for some reason, "how the fuck did Scott Putski get a title shot!?". You can see Goldberg is starting to cool off, I think a big part of it was them going back to these jobber squash matches while he was World Champ, coming off like WCW is overhyping him and fabricating his win streak, the fans eventually turn on him at some point. It just started to get old and WCW failed to keep it fresh.

Best part of this show was Malenko vs Curt Hennig steel cage match. Really decent match, NWO comes out and unlocks the door to jump Malenko but Arn Anderson comes running out like a bat out of hell and kicks the NWO's ass. This was pretty great, a year in the making he finally gives Hennig what he deserves for double crossing the Horsemen at War Games 97. Good stuff.

Roddy Piper and Diamond Dallas Page defeated Sting and Lex Luger by Disqualification in the main event. I didn't even watch this, this DVD has no sound. This is the second Nitro DVD in a row without sound, hopefully the rest of the set isn't like this.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching Thunder now. Opening match is Juvy defending the Cruiser title against Silver King. Such an awkward finish, referee dq's Silver King for using a chair. The reactions and everything gives me the impression that this was not the planned finish, maybe Silver King wasn't supposed to use a steel chair out on the floor, the referee disqualifies him and it's like a big WTF moment.

Heart felt stuff as they show a promo Jim Duggan cut at a house show on Tuesday telling the fans that he has cancer and he's going to take a hiatus. Sad promo, Shiavonne, Bobby Heenan, and Lee Marshal give Duggan a salute at the commentary booth.

Wrath is supposed to get a TV title shot against Jericho but Jericho comes out mocking Goldberg's entrance and he gets lost in the back, eventually getting locked outside. Wrath goes after him and they cut to commercial break as he's chasing him through the parking lot. Jericho in WCW in 1998 was solid gold, anyone who is a fan of his needs to watch this run if you haven't seen it, I think it was his best work.

Saturn fucks up Kanyon and Horace and the rest of the Flock before dumping Kidman over the top rope to the floor with an overhead belly to belly. Saturn looks bad ass here and the crowd is all about him, he fucks up the whole Flock while Raven watches on from the isle. Saturn and Raven cut promos and Saturn drops the "Mind over matter, I don't mind and you don't matter" line, jesus Eric Bischoff really loved that line and had guys use it almost on a monthly basis.

Movies For Guys Who Like Movies this week: VHS classic from my childhood called Warlock. One of those movies we rented from the video store and moved without ever taking it back, so we watched the fuck out of it there for a while.

This week in WCW motorsports, Mark Martin does not finish, still holds 2nd place in the battle for the Winston Cup Championship!

Yo-yo commercials. It's bizarre that yo-yo's and tie die t-shirts got popular in the late 90's.

Mongo takes on Hennig, NWO tries to jump Mongo but Malenko comes out to make the save. NWO circles around Malenko until Arn comes out with a 2x4 to a HUUUGE pop! NWO beats a path. Mongo is carted out on a stretcher. Tony Shiavonne interviews Arn after the commercial break. Arn cuts a fabulous promo, he's fired up and puts Malenko over saying that if it was up to him, Malenko would be a Horsemen. Eric Bischoff comes out and this is fantastic heel stuff, he cuts a great promo until Arn chokes him. I love this angle, this was a great segment.

I'm going to go ahead and post what I got since I'm probably going to shut it down and watch the rest of this in the morning.

Edit: Change of plans. Luger was supposed to take on Bulldog on this show. Luger gets jumped by Bulldog and Anvil before the show and they change the planned match to a handicapped match with Luger vs Bulldog and Anvil. Bret comes out during the match and attacks Bulldog and Anvil and helps Luger win the match. The shit they have done with Bret through 1998 is downright absurd. It was just a couple of shows ago that Bret was in the ring with the whole NWO recruiting Stevie Ray. On the last Nitro I posted about Bret came out and was surrounded by the NWO like they were going to attack him until Sting came out to run them off with the baseball bat. Sting gave Bret the bat and turned his back to him but Bret didn't hit him, Sting just walked out, entire segment didn't make any sense whatsoever. Now on this Thunder Hogan came out and was talking trash about Bret, who is on the NWO Hollywood team for War Games. Now Bret is helping the Wolfpac and teasing a face turn. What a fucking mess.

Goldberg beats Rick Fuller for the WCW World Title. Crowd was red hot for Goldberg's entrance. Hollywood and The Disciple come out to interfere while the ref is distracted checking on Fuller after the Spear. Goldberg fights them off and spears Disciple. Hogan runs for his life and Goldberg finishes Fuller with the Jackhammer for the win. Super hot crowd for all of this. Pretty good.

Main event is Kevin Nash vs Stevie Ray. Great crowd is really into it, Nash one of the top babyfaces is super over. Vincent attacks Nash for the DQ finish but Nash kicks the shit out of him and powerbombs him. Scott Hall returns and attacks Kevin Nash. NWO walks to the back celebrating together. They get to their dressing room and Warrior has spray painted "Warrior O.W.N.'s Hogan" on the wall. Hogan is beside himself, WE'RE OUT OF TIIIIIME!!!!

Not that great of a show. I really miss some guys. So many of my favorites were MIA for some reason or another:
    Benoit(injured)
    Savage(injured)
    Booker T(injured)
    Rey(injured)
    Eddie has been in and out
    Ultimo Dragon ??
    La Parka(injured vs Goldberg)
    Haven't seen much of Kidman prior to him being dumped out of the ring by Saturn on this show
    Haven't seen much of Psicosis either.

Juvy as Cruiserweight Champ has been dead in the water, came out of this particular show looking weak.

Holy shit, it just dawned on me, what the hell happened to the tag team titles?!? They just completely forgotten about them.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-27-2017 at 02:16 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ShinobiMusashi View Post
    Edit: Change of plans. Luger was supposed to take on Bulldog on this show.

Holy shit, it just dawned on me, what the hell happened to the tag team titles?!? They just completely forgotten about them.
    Luger vs. Bulldog would have been a big deal just three years earlier. Now it's a throwaway tv match. Bulldog fell a long way fast.

WCW dropped the tag titles for a few months. Like they literally no longer existed. Reading about that back in the day bugged the hell out of me.

"Local Hero" Joe Hendry vs. Rampage Brown w/ Adam Blampied- WCPW Sometime In 2016

WCPW is not, in fact, Windy City Pro Wrestling, but a British promotion called What Culture Pro Wrestling run by popular Youtubers. My brother watched a lot of their stuff when he was living here. Props to those guys for living the dream.

Up until now Joe Hendry had been my favorite wrestler who I had never actually seen wrestle a match. He's a Scottish based wrestler sports entertainer extraordinaire who is destined to become the most popular wrestler in NXT within a few years. His gimmick is basically 2000 Kurt Angle if Angle did his own customized entrance music instead of being an Olympic gold medalist. Hendry is a creative guy....a true Character....and as you all know I will take a great sports entertainer over a great wrestler 9 times out of 10. To be fair, Hendry has more misses than hits but I can appreciate the fact that he's out there trying something new. He's one of only a handful of guys in 2017 who would get my butt to a wrestling show if he were to appear anywhere near Baltimore. Here are his two masterpieces...

Spoiler

Rampage Brown is another UK based wrestler. He lives up to the "Rampage" name by being an actual heavyweight in indie wrestling! And he's in shape too! He's the sort of guy WWE would have signed a few years back based on appearance alone. Think a cross between Killer Kyle & Rodney Mack. Strikes me as a bodyguard type or maybe one-half a tough heel tag team who usually loses.....Disorderly Conduct or something like that. And sure enough the commentators say he's wrestled for WWE & TNA.

His manager Adam Blampied is one of the What Culture guys and fortunately for him his name is not pronounced the way you think it would be. It's not Blam-Peed but the more French Blam-Pee-Ay.

This is a very basic meat and potatoes 10 minute-ish face vs. heel heavyweight (in indie wrestling!) match. The sort of thing you'd see on a 2005 episode of Heat between two recent OVW call ups who didn't pan out, though this was maybe a wee bit stiffer. In a way I can appreciate an old school back to basics heavyweight match. No flips. No superkicks. No kickouts of death blows. But, on the other hand, Hendry's finisher is a fallaway slam and Rampage won after manager interference with a Samoan Drop. Those were not acceptable finishers twenty years ago (had the fallaway slam ever been used as a finisher?), let alone in 2017.

Verdict- *3/4

Basic wrestling style or not, I still think Hendry will be the most popular wrestler in NXT at some point within the next three years. His shtick is the sort of thing those fans eat up. Bobby Roode is the current NXT champion. He's a rather bland old school style wrestler with a gloriously catchy theme. Hendry is a rather bland (in ring) old school style wrestler with the opportunity for an infinite number of catchy themes. He'll be a star.

vCash
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then there's the quieter guy with the really deep voice. I've always thought that was Baba. Is it? If not, it should be. Because that's exactly what Baba sounds like in my head. And my brother agrees with me.
    I'm sure it is Baba. And like you, if it isn't, then I don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    This is not a huge shocker but noteworthy. It's almost always the lesser guys that get pinned in these matches. Terry Gordy is a former Triple Crown champion and Misawa, while a top star at that point, was not yet the near-invincible demigod he would go on to be. Gordy, Hansen, Jumbo and Misawa are more or less equal as the four top guys in the company. Maybe Gordy was getting built up to challenge for the Triple Crown. I think Hansen and Jumbo hogged the belt throughout 1990/91.
    Here is the order of events happening around that time.

5/24/91: Misawa/Kawada beat tag champs Gordy/Williams for first time in non-title match with Misawa pinning Williams (who is Gordy's #2 at this point).
    6/1/91: Misawa beats Gordy in their first ever singles match. This is a big win, over a former Triple Crown champion, Misawa's biggest since defeating Jumbo a year prior.
    7/11/91: Gordy/Williams/Rude beat Misawa/Kawada/Kikuchi with Gordy pinning Misawa.
    7/24/91: Misawa/Kawada become tag champs by beating Gordy/Williams again, with Misawa pinning Gordy.

So Gordy getting the pin over Misawa may have a two-fold reasoning. It may have been to appease Gordy, in between Misawa going over him in both singles and tag. Or simply to make Gordy look stronger after the singles loss going into the big tag title bout. Maybe a little of both.

Misawa could've easily pinned Williams for the tag titles, but going over Gordy again was another big step in terms of pushing him up towards Jumbo. There had been 4 Triple Crown champions up to this point, with Tenryu being the only one no longer in the company. Misawa got his win over Jumbo in June 1990, then over Gordy in June 1991 and would have to wait even longer to defeat Hansen (and get his first Triple Crown) in August 1992. And then it took another 9 months to truly make him the Ace.

3/4/92: Hansen successfully defends TC against Misawa.
    4/17/92: Hansen defeats Misawa in Carnival final.
    8/22/92: Misawa defeats Hansen for TC via pinfall after an elbow KO.
    3/30/93: Hansen defeats Misawa in Carnival round robin.
    4/21/93: Hansen defeats Misawa in Carnival final and it now really looks like Misawa's TC win was just down to hitting a lucky shot.
    5/21/93: Misawa successfully defends TC against Hansen and becomes the Ace 9 months into his reign and will solidify that position by holding the title for another 14 months (including beating Hansen again on 10/23/93).

So it was really three years from Misawa beating Jumbo on 6/8/90 to becoming the new Ace of the company. Baba liked to take things slowly and Misawa only got that initial big push due to Tenryu leaving and then likely only became the Ace as quickly as he did because of Jumbo's health causing him to semi-retire in October 1992.

vCash
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The go-home episode of Saturday Night for Fall Brawl was cut down to an hour, only thing I can remember about it was Wrath and Meng having a showdown. Wrath beat the Barbarian and then Hugh Morris came out to jump him until Meng came out to make the save, then Meng and Wrath fought each other until they went to commercial break. Pretty cool. Also just remembered Saturn finally gives Lodi a Death Valley Driver after putting up with his shit for the past 2-3 weeks worth of shows. One thing I got to say about this period in WCW in comparison to modern day WWE, not only was WCW better at producing a 3 hour weekly show but they were also way better at handling a big roster and booking it out across 3-4 weekly shows(Nitro, Thunder, Saturday Night, and Worldwide) without the goofy fake roster split/brand extention. I liked the way they booked things across these shows, each show built hype for the next show and key things were happening across all shows. Rey Mysterio had been out for a long time up to this point and I checked the WCW Worldwide results(I don't have those tapes) and he was wrestling his first matches back on that show around this time. Thunder had taken a nosedive in quality around this time but Saturday Night was a decent show with important things happening.

Fall Brawl War Games 98 I actually enjoyed. Juvy vs Silver King was a decent above average match, starts off a little on the slow side but picks up nicely going into the finish. Saturn vs Raven was fucking excellent ECW 12-step Heyman finish style match, crowd was super hot, especially when Saturn dumped Lodi through a table. Also huge pop when Saturn kicks out of the DDT and gets the win. Saturn is made to look like a big star in this match and they planted the seeds for Kidman's face turn. Excellent stuff.

They started the drunk Scott Hall angle here at this show. Stupid shit.

The War Games match itself was a little better than I was expecting. I got to admit I really like everything they've done with Warrior up to this point, I know the popular opinion is that this was all wrestlecrap but I've never really tried to be popular. This is indeed pretty corny but I like it when wrestling gets corny and I'm always a mark for Warrior. One Warrior Nation fuck the world.

On the other hand though it really can't be understated just how retarded the booking of Bret Hart was in WCW in 1998. Unbelievable. Hogan and Stevie Ray attack him in the War Games match, there is no reasoning behind anything that goes on involving Bret, one week he's Hogan's best buddy and recruiting people to NWO and now he's out, for no real reason, it's fucking confusing. I'm pretty sure it all leads up to him rejoining the group before the end of the year. You can tell they had absolutely no idea what to do with him and changed their plans for him every week.

Tried to load up the next Nitro but once again this disc has no audio, third Nitro disc in a row without sound.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-28-2017 at 12:26 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt Classic vs. Matt Sydal w/ Lizzy Valentine- WSX Sometime In 2007

WSX was a short-lived promotion which aired on MTV. It featured a mix of washed up Attitude Era stars and the hottest indie wrestlers of the day. I was somewhat excited when I first heard the news (yay! more wrestling!) but was not at all a fan of the presentation. WSX was very much a 2000s MTV production trying way too hard to be kewl (exploshuns! live bandz! ANNOUNCERS ALWAYS SHOUTING!) and it came across as being rather cringey imo. Sort of Attitude Era-lite vibe. But, hey, at least they put Teddy Hart on tv! Yet the highlight of WSX was not Teddy but the brilliant Matt Classic character.

Matt Classic was Colt Cabana doing ye olde school rassler gimmick and it was easily the best thing Cabana has ever done. I'm more or less indifferent to regular Colt Cabana. Sometimes I found him funny. Just as often I thought he was cringey. His wrestling was alright. But Matt Classic was pure genius. Cabana nailed this gimmick. His mannerisms are perfect. Love the olde school exercises and variety of clawholds. Even his punches and irish whips are straight out of a grainy black & white video. Matt Classic better have won the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Best Gimmick award....

OK, I just checked. Classic finished 6th. Santino won and I'm actually cool with that. 2007 Santino ruled. And MVP is a solid #3. But there is no way in hell Matt Classic should have finished below stupid Black Machismo (#2), stupider Festus (#4) and....Takeshi Morishima (#5) I genuinely had no idea people liked Black Machismo & Festus. And did Morishima even have a gimmick? I'd have went....

1. Santino (lasted longer. had more exposure)
    2. Matt Classic
    3. MVP

Anyway, the WSX ring announcer might be the worst I've ever heard. The commentary is not much better (aside from a mention of the NES classic, Pro Wrestling). These guys HAVE NO INSIDE VOICE and act like Classic is this big, huge monster. OK, so he's a little bigger than the average WSX wrestler but he's hardly King Kong Bundy, nor does he wrestle like a giant. These guys are the worst. Hilarious on screen graphic appears saying Matt Classic was NWA champion in 1952

Poor Matt Sydal has been getting the shaft in this writeup. He was/is a good high flying wrestler, though rather bland, and therefore I was unable to ever really get behind him. Lizzy Valentine is new to me. She's hot. Should have been bigger. Sydal & Valentine are doing an obnoxious 'perfect couple' gimmick and that's actually a good gimmick which could be great with the right people.

This short little match was a hoot due to Classic's olde school shenanigans. I laughed at least three or four times. Probably more like seven or eight. Cabana breaks out his awesome reverse frankensteiner bump towards the end leading to Sydal hitting an excellent Shooting Star Press for the win.

Verdict I dunno **-*** on the regular scale but ****+ as a comedy match. Matt Classic must be seen to be believed.

≡≡≡≡|≡≡≡≡

vCash
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WSX was a short-lived promotion which aired on MTV. It featured a mix of washed up Attitude Era stars and the hottest indie wrestlers of the day. I was somewhat excited when I first heard the news (yay! more wrestling!) but was not at all a fan of the presentation. WSX was very much a 2000s MTV production trying way too hard to be kewl (exploshuns! live bandz! ANNOUNCERS ALWAYS SHOUTING!) and it came across as being rather cringey imo. Sort of Attitude Era-lite vibe.
    I feel like WSX needs a deep-dive analytical review. It could've/should've been so good. Instead, it wasn't really. And then the plug got pulled. And that was that. They had me so hopeful that they could finally be a fed that captured that Shotgun Saturday Night magic and pushed it to its limits. But that's all I ever had, hope.
    : 04/02/11}:forever&always
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    http://forums.prowrestling.com/showthread.php?t=121686

vCash
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PI View Post
    I feel like WSX needs a deep-dive analytical review. It could've/should've been so good. Instead, it wasn't really. And then the plug got pulled. And that was that. They had me so hopeful that they could finally be a fed that captured that Shotgun Saturday Night magic and pushed it to its limits. But that's all I ever had, hope.
    @KashDinero is our resident WSX expert. I'd have to watch it on mute were I to do a WSX deep dive.

Matches I Watched Recently That Aren't Worth Writing Much About

Wrath vs. Van Hammer- WCW Thunder 10/29/98

Shin has been talking up Wrath and Van Hammer is our hero of the month. Van Hammer is doing a hippie gimmick here. The former Adam Bomb still has a good look. This was the very definition of just there. Rather dull back and forth five minute hossfest with Wrath winning via Meltdown (pumphandle slam). Moving on....

Dr. Death Steve Williams vs. Eddie Gilbert w/ Dick Murdoch- UWF May 1987

Good opening with Doc going for the Stampede early and Eddie countering by holding onto the ropes for dear life. The in ring highlights end there. Next ten minutes deserve a non-stop boring chant. Dr. Death works over Gilbert's arm in the blandest way imaginable. Gilbert soon comes back and cleanly(!) gets the better of Dr. Death for a while, culminating in Gilbert trying to put Doc away with the sleeper....for like five minutes. The real highlights are provided by JR on commentary and a loud woman in the crowd. JR talks about the UWF Top 10 (Doc is #1, Gibert #2) and buries the recently departed Ted Dibiase- "He left because he was afraid to fight Dr. Death." Some loud woman in the crowd is heard screaming throughout the match. She's a Dr. Death fan and I'm just going to hope/pretend she's the same woman who brought us the legendary "Michael Hayes Has No Cock" sign. This time around she calls Eddie Gilbert a "faggot" and yells for Dr. Death to "kick his ass." Finish is weird as Eddie allows himself to be pinned so Dick Murdoch can attack a prone Dr. Death. JR sells this is a plan worthy of an evil genius. Umm....no. There are a million other ways to perpetrate a sneak attack that don't involve one of the planners being pinned.

Post-match angle is better than the match and is the reason I sought this out. Gilbert & Murdoch "break Doc's arm" leading to Doc wrestling with a cast for a while. This made young Baker think Doc was the roughest, toughest, most badass dude ever (or at least until Taz came along), though I'm sure JR hyping his boy on commentary had a lot to do with it, too. Anyway, Doc was the first babyface I ever got behind as a youngster, and this whole "fighting through a broken arm" angle is why. Barry Windham and some other guys run out awfully late for the "save" as I realize NWA buying UWF, and WCW later absorbing AWA (or at least their champion Zbyszko), is what made me think all non-WWF promotions were somehow affiliated until like late 1995. Also, Eddie Gilbert & Dick Murdoch are a very weird duo. Those two characters have nothing in common.

APA vs. Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo- Title vs. Title Match- WWF InVasion July 2001

Wanted to watch some Natural Born Thrillers after seeing their name show up in the WCW Countdown. Also stumbled upon a Scott Steiner shoot saying JBL tried taking liberties with Palumbo, Palumbo stood up for himself when they got backstage, and JBL backed down in front of everybody. I can totally buy that story given JBL's real life history. Anyway, I wanted to see if I could spot JBL taking liberties with Palumbo so now I'm killing two birds with one stone.

Crowd is weird in this one. APA gets a nice ovation coming out. Crowd dies for the match. Then pops for the finish. Thrillers come out to their theme which is a total knockoff of Rush's 2112 Overture. That's literally the only thing I remembered about their brief WWF run (think O'Haire got sent down to OVW right after this match). JR is kind of a dick in this match subtly burying the Thrillers from start to finish.

Match is typical hard hitting APA fare. Not bad, but not really memorable either. **ish. Palumbo, who I eventually became a fan of, impressed me more than O'Haire, which surprised me given O'Haire's hype at the time. Plus I didn't think Palumbo got "good" (decent?) until Billy & Chuck. No Chuck Deluxe here but he threw great punches even back then. Both Thrillers got roughed up a bit but it didn't seem any different to me than the average APA match. So I'm starting to think they probably just roughed up everybody Bradshaw eventually wins the match for his team, and both sets of tag belts, with a Clothesline From Hell.

Thread Information