Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

I feel kinda invincible Kilgore's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Match Review Thread II (History Edition)

The most memorable thing about Van Hammer's initial push was his "We Will Rock You" clap. He'd stomp the mat twice, and then clap once. Boom-boom-bat. Boom-boom-bat. That was really all he had, unfortunately. That Van Hammer push was the last year I would have ever been into a babyface like that, and even young me thought he sort of sucked.

Looking at the WCW Roster of the late 80's/Early 90's of Blonde Muscle Bound guys, Vince missed out on a lot. Unlike Hammer, all of these guys would eventually make it to the WWF, but isn't it a little weird that:

Lex Luger
    Sid
    Sting
    Steve Austin
    Triple H

Were all in WCW first? Vince is getting a boner for Tom Mcgee, while WCW is signing Luger, Sid and Sting, Sid being the worst miss considering Macho Man supposedly discovered him.

vCash
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure I agree with this. Yeah, I guess New Japan is still the most over thing in ROH but that's more because nothing in ROH is hot than because New Japan is still on fire. If anything, New Japan doesn't seem as over as it was a few years back. At least not with the ROH audience. There was very little buzz for the ROH vs. NJPW shows this year. Feels like it's starting to become old hat. It also doesn't help that ROH has no credible guys for dream matches. The days of Joe, Bryan & Ki are long gone. People still talk about their matches with the likes of Kobashi, KENTA & Morishima while the only ROH vs. NJPW match out of many to generate anything close to that sort of buzz over the last few years was Steen/Nakamura, but that's mostly forgotten now, and it sucked anyway. I also see a lot of complaining from the few remaining hardcore ROH fans about New Japan always going over the ROH wrestlers. And let's not forget Ishii's TV title reign went nowhere.
    Fair points my good man.

I don't know if a lot can be read into those War of the Worlds shows, at least in terms of reviews and receptions. Fans know what to expect from these shows, they're sort of shallow self-contained shows that just give fans the opportunity to see NJPW guys in the flesh without them working high profile matches. There really isn't a lot to be said, although I will say that the recent run of shows has generated some buzz for a couple of different reasons. More so than the previous two years at least.

But as for New Japan not being as hot as it once was, I'm not entirely sure where you're getting that from. If anything given the sold out LA show and the reception WrestleKingdom received and the rise of Nakamura, Styles and Balor in the WWE....I don't think NJPW has ever been bigger out west. For a niche promotion like ROH, they could certainly do with a rub.

Obviously a big name like Naito as ROH champ would be good for the company but there's no way NJPW lets their #3 guy spend most of his time in ROH and giving the belt to a New Japan midcarder would only enhance the perception of ROH being New Japan's bitch.
    Are there any ROH hardcores left? I thought they all left the ship once Cornette started pushing Charlie Haas and Mike Mondo in prominent roles.

Everybody knows ROH is NJPW's bottom, if done correctly putting the belt on an up and coming NJPW talent could be a win/win for the promotion.

Why Matt Jackson and not Nick? Is Matt perceived as the better Buck? Not being a smartass. I'm genuinely curious. I still don't even know which Buck is which Doubt I ever will. @KashDinero get in here. You always have an opinion on who the better member of a tag team is. Nick or Matt? The people want to know. The people need to know.
    The coin came up Matt. Honestly, it's well known that like his namesake Matt Hardy, Matt is the brains behind the Young Bucks and given his 5 years over Nick generally has a better idea of how to work in the ring than Nick. I'm not 100% sold either, I'd have to give these guys a test run to see how it would work, but those are the type of creative ideas ROH needs more of. Something a little different, either to give established characters added depth, or new characters for the fans to get into.

Ravishing Slick Dude KashDinero's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, for me, Matt and Nick are teetering on the brink of falling into the who's who category that includes Ron & Don, Jimmy & Jey, Head Hunter 1 & Head Hunter 2, Noriyo Tateno & Itsuki Yamazaki, Jim & I (see what Kash did there? ), and Conquistador Uno & Conquistador Dos. Difference being is I probably like all those names better. Obviously that's a huge exageration, but I definitely have to be in the right frame of mind to tollerate their full on-nonsense. I do love their moveset, and dig a fair few aspects of other things they bring to the table, but the whole SUCK IT and TOO SWEET shit is just really fucking annoying. Like, it just makes me think "alright, calm down children, you actually ain't that great". They also sadly have that "seen a Buck match seen 'em all" kinda stigma with me, which I would put down to overkill on how much they do in any given match. Sure I can enjoy and appreciate their matches, but overabundance of "all but the kitchen sink" style offence and often unfunny comedy act drivel do go against them for me. They are very good, though, and I think they're only still getting started. Whatever they're doing, however, they're doing it right, because personal preferences aside, they are one of the hottest acts not in WWE.

Biggest peeve I have about them is they make me feel old. Like, Corny old. Their attitude towards matches is almost like some of these new slang words I hear my younger brothers use.

Anyway, @Baker, like @Big Pete said, Matt is deffo one hundred per cent the Matt of the team (I think). Nick is the slightly more athletic of the two, I guess. I am fifty/fifty on both of 'em, so I don't really have a favourite, but would probably go with Nick because Matt is no Matt.

As for giving Matt a chance with the RoH title, I gotta say it isn't something that appeals to me, but as I don't watch RoH anymore (although I may watch these NJPW/RoH shows in Toronto and NYC), I can't really justify having an opinion of it one way or another. From what I've seen of them in PWG and NJPW recently, I really wouldn't sponsor it, but would possibly be morbidly curious enough to check it.

Side Note: I just put on the Toronto show. MCMG are still/back as a thing!? Wow.

I would review this show, but I just reviewed every Buck match ever and am exhausted.

Side Note 2: I hate the sound of Kevin Kellys voice. Always have done.

Last one..

Side Note 3: Chris Sabin is really white these days.

edit: Just to also chime in on the Van Hammer chit-chat. Kid KashDinero loved that guy back in the day. Big KashDinero is now fully aware of how shit he really was, but as little me loved the guy, big me is still a fan on the sly. I wonder how he would have fared with a less gimmicky gimmick. Yes, he looked like a rockstar, but he was clearly anything but. Don't give a guy a guitar/skateboard he can't play/skate on. It was a poular shitck with the kids who didn't know better I guess which is who he was aimed at so I guess it served the purpose of intent for a little while.

He also gets a good few Kool points for being a footnote in one of my favourite career stories. If every wrestler gave Van as much as Foley the guy could have been someone. But they didn't. Because he's shit. Foley was just too nice to admit it. Have a nice day
    Last edited by KashDinero; 05-17-2017 at 10:17 AM.
    PW Nerdery's Most Underrated Poster Of 2015

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ROH TV Report- 5/14/17

*We're back to a solid meat and potatoes wrestling show after last week's misfire. The theme of this show was nice strikes and weird but cool takedowns. All three matches featured at least one of both these things. It was also the Baker Approved Silas Young Hour.

Chris Sabin & Jonathan Gresham w/ Alex Shelley vs. Cheeseburger & Will Ferrara

The MCMG have been a flop. They've been back for a year and a half and have yet to win the tag titles. I also don't believe I've seen them team even one time on ROH tv because one of them is always out with an injury. This time it's Shelley. The Machine Guns are recruiting youngsters for a babyface stable like they're Teddy Long and it's 1996 WCW. I'm guessing this is so some young boy can fill in for whichever one is injured at any given time. Not bad booking even if babyface stables suck as a rule. Jay White & Gresham are part of this MCMG Search & Destroy babyface faction. Shelley gets off a good zinger about recently departed ex-Search & Destroy guy Lio Rush. Something like "Well, that's what the Search part of Search & Destroy is about. Not all of these guys pan out." At least Shelley still has it on the mic.

Match was pretty bad. They're treating Cheeseburger as kind of a serious threat now. He got in way too much offense and S&D treated his stupid Shotei like it was Hansen's Lariat with hilarious(ly awful) oversells every time Cheese looked to be going for the move. I had grown to tolerate Cheeseburger but now I'm starting to hate him again. His Shotei is the worst. It looks like crap and I'm not even sure if these stupid oversells are supposed to be genuine or comedy. I just thought of a way to get shitty Punishment Martinez over. Have him no sell the Shotei and chokeslam Cheeseburger 5 10 15 times. Doing so would make lousy Punishment Martinez my new favorite ROH wrestler. I'd pop for that like he was 911 kicking ass in the ECW Arena.

Also, the running apron kick is my new least favorite mandatory ROH spot. It always looks like crap and Sabin's was even worse than most. Sabin is terrible in general.

Gresham has been around forever on the periphery of ROH but now he's officially signed (as mentioned in a pre-match Shelley promo) so I expect a push. He's like 5'2. Cheeseburger towers over him. But I like his style. Very technical. Has a Britishy World of Sport thing going on. I am for diversity in wrestling. ROH didn't have a guy doing this style so good for Gresham filling that role. He busted out this one combination that I don't even know how to describe. He rolled Burger around with all these holds and submissions for like 30 seconds. Very cool. Thought it would lead to the pin but Cheese kicked out because I suppose we have to keep f'n Cheeseburger strong I was trying to come up with natural opponents for Gresham but the only person that came to mind was commentator Alex Shelley....in like 2005. Hey, Shelley/Gresham would have been a perfectly fine TPI quarterfinal back in the day. Maybe O'Reilly? But he's gone too now. We'll see if Josh Woods develops. I suppose Woods/Gresham could be a good 'technical' match.

Ferrara remains bland as ever. He took an accidental Shotei from Burger and walked out on his partner late in the match. I'm starting to think Cheeseburger is a jerk. First Brutal Bob Evans turned on him. Now Ferrara is in the process. Cheeseburger=the Hulk Hogan of 2010s wrestling. Dude can't keep a partner.

Gresham wins it for his team with a cool Octopus Hold on Cheeseburger which also works because his nickname is "The Octopus."

*1/4- Gresham looked good and at least there was a story with the impending Burger/Ferrara split.

Silas Young attacks Jay Lethal in a locker room because Young is jealous about Lethal getting a bunch of endorsements. They're calling Lethal "The Franchise" now. No. Just no. Unless this leads to Lethal vs. Douglas or Lethal vs. Sting, neither of which is likely. I'll also settle for Lethal wearing black & yellow with tassles a la the real Franchise. Segment was fine. Got across Silas' bitterness and added more fuel to this slow burning feud. I didn't like Lethal screaming for the help of some backstage guy(?) named Mark. Made him look like a wimp. You're supposed to be the babyface "Franchise," dude. Tough it out.

Clips air of an awesome looking Silas vs. Bobby Fish brawl from a previous show. Yeah, I know. Clip form. I've always said I could make Mideon look like a world beater in clip form. But this really did look great in clip form. Highlight was Silas hitting a fabulous Double A spinebuster on a chair structure.

Silas Young w/ Beer City Bruiser vs. Bobby Fish

This ruled. A heated brawl between two guys who hate each other. Best Bobby Fish singles match I've ever seen. Yeah, that's faint praise, but still. The Jannetty of reDRagon really was good in this. He was relentless in his attacks on Young's surgically repaired knee. Would have been heelish against anybody else but it worked against ROH's resident jerk Silas Young.

Silas impressed for the 3rd or 4th time in a row. He's all the way back, folks. See, Silas impressed me a few years back by being deceptively spry in the ring. He had a habit of stringing cool moves together. Even had some surprising explosiveness. He was getting a good slow burn push. Even went over Kevin Steen in one of Steen's last matches. Then he got hurt, missed a lot of time, and came back as a bland punch-kick guy without all his old sneaky cool offense. Now I still liked Silas because a grumpy old school "Last Real Man" with a mustache is always going to be over with me but I had no hopes for him ever progressing beyond a midcard heel whose matches topped out at **. But now he's looking like the Silas Young of old in the ring and is getting a ton of tv time simultaneously feuding with Fish & Lethal while still having issues with Taven & The Kingdom as well.

Let's recap...

-Silas is bringing it in the ring.
    -Silas gets booed. I don't think he's hated by the ROH audience. I think they actually respect him. But he's a good enough heel to get them to play along and boo.
    -Silas is currently engulfed in two heated feuds with big names in Lethal & Fish. He also has a 3rd feud waiting on the back burner with Taven & His Kingdom.
    -Silas has an actual gimmick and can cut a decent promo sounding exactly like Rick Rude while doing so.
    -Silas hasn't been overexposed and has lots of fresh match ups available.

All this is why....
    I endorse...

Silas Young For Next ROH Champion

Yep. I went there. Have Silas win a tournament or a battle royal or something to get a shot against Daniels. It doesn't need a ton of build. In fact it might be better with only a little build. Then have Silas win out of left field. While cheating, of course. It would be glorious. He can defeat Lethal, Fish, Taven, and Daniels in a rematch before dropping the belt at Final Battle to his arch-nemesis, the over Dalton Castle. "But Castle & Silas already feuded!" the naysayers nay. Big deal. This is a company which booked approximately 36 O'Reilly vs. Cole matches last year. They can and will resurrect the Castle/Silas feud after a year and a half of little to no interaction between the two.

Back to the match....Silas did this really cool series of evasions leading to a springboard apron clothesline and won after taking his knee brace off to belt Fish in the head for the cheap upset(?) victory.

The inevitable Fish vs. Silas Fight Without Honor should rule. Especially if it's ROH CHAMPION Silas Young.

Dalton Castle promo. He was involved in an incident in 2010 Dubai. Man, I am gonna be so pissed when he beats Silas for the belt

Briscoes & Bully Ray vs. The Rebellion (Caprice Coleman/Rhett Titus/Shane Taylor)- 6 Man Titles

The 6 Man Titles are the Western States Heritage title of the 2010s.

I kind of like The Rebellion Not saying they're good or anything but it's a good use of those four guys. One of those the sum is greater than the parts deal. None of those guys are going to amount to much on their own but in a group.....they kind of work in a midcard heel stable RTC sort of way.

This was a total house show effort by 5/6ths of the participants. Even Jay Briscoe dogged it. He hit two superkicks. I'm worried, man. Don't tell me they've gotten to Jay too. Caprice kind of sucks but he does have two or three awesome signature spots. He did not use them here. Bully Ray gave a 90s WCW Hulk Hogan performance. Got in for 30 seconds. Hit a few signature spots. Did not leave his feet. Tagged out. I will give him credit for cheerleading on the apron. He was leading a pretty dead Baltimore crowd in chants all match. There's that veteran presence at work. Taylor hit one awesome punch. They seem to be building to a Bully/Taylor singles match. I'm down. Taylor looks like Abdullah the Butcher if Abby wore a shirt and didn't have forehead scars. Rhett Titus was forgettable as always. Then we have goofy Mark Briscoe. Bless that crazy chicken farmer. While everybody else is going though the motions Mark is wrestling like he's trying to earn a spot in the main event of Wrestlemania. First he breaks out his nutty running blockbuster from the apron to the floor. Then he randomly decides to do a top rope moonsault to the floor. Finish abruptly comes out of nowhere with a 3D on Titus. There was no build for this. It just kinda happened. Feels like they got the 'go home' signal and ended it quickly. To further the house show vibe, post-match sees Coleman, the Steven Richards equivalent of The Rebellion, get Super Bombed through a table by Bubba to send the people home happy.

** for Mark Briscoe's performance and Bully's cheerleading.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

WhatCulture Professional Wrestling (WCPW)
    Kurt Angle vs Alberto El Patron

Good ol' JR is calling this match live (with Matt Striker), and good ol' JR is the reason I am watching this match. He bigged it up on his podcast. Honestly, I'm not expecting to massively like this match, because I don't really share JR's taste in wrestling and he could have exaggerated the quality of this match for promotional reasons. But his comments intrigued me enough. Another reason is that everyone says Del Rio is so much better outside of WWE, so I'm going to judge for myself. The video starts with a build up package. Both participants cut bland sub-minute promos to the effect of "I will kick my opponent's ass." That's the build?! Oh, there's an actual video package. Why put the pre-match promos before it? We see some clips of these guys wrestling, and El Patron cutting an in-ring promo that is completely inaudible. All I know is that he swore because there's a beep sound. So he insulted Kurt Angle for some reason. The only bit of story I can grasp is that this is Kurt Angle's hyped up last UK match (and perhaps last ever match). This is dated February 12th 2017, so not long before Angle returns to WWE for HoF/GM duties.

They start off with a minute or two of posing and stalling. Crowd clearly behind Angle and against El Patron. They do some basic chain wrestling while the announcers play up the differences between olympic wrestling (Angle) and MMA (El Patron). Angle takes El Patron down with a shoulder tackle. El Patron gets up and inexplicably shoves the referee, earning him some boos. Then he lands a kick on Angle's thigh and starts the attack. They brawl on the outside. Angle gets the advantage, then El Patron. He blows a kiss at Angle's wife. JR starts shouting at the wrestlers when El Patron bashes Angle's head into the announce table. He lays into them. Not sure what the point of that is. He was never so hostile towards WWE wrestlers smashing up tables. Angle makes a small comeback in the ring but ends up throwing himself shoulder first into the post. Cue El Patron attacking the arm amidst some taunting. He varies up his targets, kicking Angle's leg and grabbing a chinlock. Angle manages to lift El Patron onto the second turnbuckle but El Patron grabs the arm and drops down with an armbar. El Patron jawjacks with the fans, allowing Angle to wallop him with a clothesline when he reenters the ring. Angle hits some rolling Germans, then the Angle Slam gets counters into a Backstabber for a two count. El Patron keeps it going with a superkick to the kneeling Angle. Angle demonstrates he's still able to kick out at the very last moment, making everyone think for a brief moment that he was done.

Moments later Angle hits the Angle Slam, which I suspect hasn't pinned anyone on its first application for at least 10 years. El Patron kicks out. Angle goes for a superplex but El Patron counters into a convoluted double stomp spot. El Patron sells the shock of Angle kicking out, then walks over to be tripped and ankle locked. El Patron escapes and grabs the cross armbreaker. Angle with a nice counter back to his own submission finisher. By the way, Striker has been yelling for every big spot since the start of this paragraph. It's pretty annoying. Anyway El Patron gets the cross armbreaker again and gets made at the referee (again) after Angle makes the ropes. Another ankle lock. Grapevine. El Patron taps.

I was hardly expecting a indy spotfest, but the match was extremely basic. Two guys with that much experience around the world should be able to come up with something a bit better than that. Even if Angle is broken down and can't go-go-go, there was no semblance of story or psychology (Del Rio accosting the referee every few minutes does not constitute a story) It was just a bunch of signature moves strung together with no rhyme or reason. Alberto is no different outside the WWE based on this match. If anything this match was worse because Del Rio had younger, more capable opponents in WWE. Undertaker, you have not had the worst farewell match of the year. **

vCash
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of Tom Magee, possibly the long lost Bret Hart/Tom Magee match might finally see the light of day. The Taz and Owen try-outs have me interested anyway. I've also seen speculation that the first Hogan/Flair match and a Savage/Undertaker match will be included as well.

http://www.wrestlingdvdnetwork.com/o...95-dvd/135570/

vCash
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the fact it's not even being discussed means Sabu vs. Owen Hart from 1993 wasn't taped. I want to see that so bad. Give me Sabu vs Scott Taylor from the same weekend, at least.

vCash
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baker View Post
    Silas Young For Next ROH Champion
    I wanted Dalton. I've recently suggested it should be Scurll. But after reading this post... I am okay with this.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just found out Silas Young beat KUSHIDA over the weekend. That's a big deal. Especially since
    Spoiler

I'm tellin' ya. The Great Silas Young Push of 2017 has already been under way for at least a few weeks and we're just now realizing it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just laid up here in a Dubbya Cee Dubbya state of mind, watching this WCW Saturday Night like it's going out of style. Thunder too actually. I caught the August 13th 1998 Thunder and August 15th Saturday Night. Thunder I kind of half watched, caught bits and pieces of what looked like a damn good rematch between Bret and Luger for the WCW US title. Movies for Guys Who like Movies for this week is "To Live and Die In LA" starring Jesus from The Big Lebowski but this week on Dinner and a Movie, Hollywood Hulk Hogan drops by to watch Mr. Nanny and we're making Hulk Hoagies! TBS was great back in the day.

Saturday Night was surprisingly decent, this one wasn't in the usual studio it was in a pretty nice size arena and the crowd was surprisingly hot for a lot of matches. They played a highlight package for Arn Anderson, which brought out Dean Malenko to cut a promo pleading for Arn to reunite the Horsemen until he's interrupted by Curt Hennig, who comes out with Rick Rude and takes credit for killing the Four Horsemen, this sets up a match with Hennig vs Malenko for the main event, decent match with shennanigan finish involving Rude. Also on this show Raven and the Flock came out and cut a promo until Saturn came out and set up a match against Raven for Fall Brawl. Then The Flock came out later for a match against Tokyo Magnum and Alex Wright but Public Enemy jumped them in the isle and fought Tokyo and Wright instead, with a table bump included. A couple of other decent matches, Saturday Night was just as good if not better than Thunder for this week. Wasn't the usual episode of Saturday Night, there were a few surprises and a few big promos to set up PPV matches and the whole Malenko/Hennig deal was really cool.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on a WCW 1998 marathon. I've got this huge CD case full of all 1998 episodes of Nitro, Thunder, Saturday Night, and PPV's. I watched through all of them up to Road Wild(August) a year or two ago. I was wanting to get American Hardcore Theater going again but truth be told I fucked up when I went ahead and watched through most of my ECW collection already over the years. I wasn't going to watch any of it until the time came to sit down and review the show for AHT. Most of those ECW reviews are of shows that I was either watching for the first time or for the first time in a really long time(over a decade). It's hard for me to get motivated to go back and watch those tapes a 2nd/3rd time and sit down to write a full review for it(or a full review for any wrestling show really, at least for right now anyways). The only thing in my collection that I've held off on watching was this 1998 WCW set so I decided to finish this bad boy off.

Man I got nothing but love for this era. All I can remember was how excited I would get on Mondays, all fucking day hyped for that night, when WCW hit the air at 7:00 it was the greatest feeling. At 8:00 when Raw kicked on the other channel it as fucking on. Back and forth all night, plus Thunder, Saturday Night, Sunday Night Heat, Worldwide, Livewire, and 2 PPV's every month scrambevisioned.

Nitro August 17th 1998 was a damn good 3 hour episode of Nitro. I love the little mini push they were giving Meng here, he's been made to look really strong and dangerous. I forgot to mention it on the last post about Saturday Night but Meng came out and fucked a few dudes up on that show. He does the same thing here wrecking a match between High Voltage and Alex Wright/Disco. Security comes out and sprays mace in his eyes but he just shakes it off and destroys everybody.

At some point during this show they say that Chris Benoit was injured, add him to the list with Macho Man, Booker T and a few other guys I'm probably forgetting.

Eddie comes out and cuts a shoot style promo about being held down in WCW, he wants out of his contract, take this job and shove it. This storyline was playing on some of the stuff being reported in the Observer at that time about guys like Eddie, Dean, and Benoit wanting out of WCW. Crowd was dead for all of this. Not that great of a promo but more interesting than what they were doing with Eddie all year, hated that whole feud with Chavo.

The Flock was awesome all year in 1998 but it got kinda lame with all the Kanyon and Horace stuff, it was kind of confusing with no real direction, I get the impression that Raven kind of stopped giving a fuck after being jobbed out to Goldberg, he phones it in on promos a lot. Kanyon & Horace vs Saturn & Raven tag match on this show wasn't half bad.

Oh shit, they plug a special on TNT from back in the day called "Masters of the Martial Arts", I forgot about this. Me and my little brother were hyped about this and I remember it was pretty cool:

Scott Norton fucks up Scott Putski in a great squash. Norton was a bad ass. I didn't care for him back in the day but I love him now.

Ahh yes, this is the episode where Ultimate Warrior debuts. I got to admit that this was pretty awesome to me, Warrior's promo dragged on for too long and had some awkward moments but overall it was a pretty good promo. Crowd was red hot for his return, the music and the entrance and the way it's all treated as the biggest deal on earth was really well done by WCW. I remember being jacked up about this back in the day, some of Hogan's facial expressions were pretty funny("I thought you were dead").

Malenko vs Curt Hennig rematch from Saturday Night wasn't bad. Rude gets involved and Hennig wins with a Perfect Plex.

Third hour, Buff and Steiner cut a goofy WWF style promo with some goofy doctor, Steiner has half his body taped as he tries to get out of his upcoming match with Rick Stiener.

Stevie Rey, Jericho, and Chavo have a pretty good 3 way for the TV title. This was funny early on as Jericho kept tricking Chavo to help him only to leave him hanging to get destroyed by Stevie Ray. Chavo smartens up and goes after Jericho. Pretty good psychology going on up until The Giant randomly comes out to drop Stevie Ray with a chokeslam. No real reason for this, maybe they were thinking about Jericho to the NWO Hollywood? Great chokeslam though, especially for Stevie to be such a big dude, Giant held him up in the air for a good bit before slamming the fuck out of him.

Co-main event was DDP vs Bret for Bret's WCW US Championship. Bret's character had no direction, they were doing stuff with him and the NWO but then they just dropped it, but he's playing this hokey old school type of heel in the matches using brass knuckles he's hidden in his trunks. He uses them against DDP here in this match and then puts them in his trunks to get him disqualified later on in the match. This was a half decent match up until that finish. Bret was looking pretty good in the ring in both of his matches against Luger the preview week(Nitro and Thunder) and looked pretty good in the ring in this match, I just don't really care for him being this kind of heel. Good back and forth match though with the crowd really into it.

Main event is first ever head to head match with Goldberg vs The Giant. They did a pretty good job of hyping this match all through the show. Then Michael Buffer doing the intros is just too fucking great, sets the perfect tone for a big time main event, to me he is the best ring announcer ever. The intros for this match are excellent, Goldberg is red hot over. "..for the HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD.... ARE YOU READY!?". This is a really fun match up until the finish. Goldberg lands a body slam on Giant and the crowd blows the roof off of the place. Giant was kept looking strong by getting in some offense on Goldberg. The finish is a DQ as the Disciple(Brutus The Barber Beefcake in biker gear with beard/sunglasses). Goldberg drops Disciple with a spear and jackhammer and tries to pin him. Scott Hall comes out and attacks Goldberg. Kevin Nash comes out to go after Scott Hall to save Goldberg. Goldberg goes to spear Scott Hall and he moves out of the way, causing Goldberg to drop Kevin Nash on accident. That's the end of the show. Really good one. Pretty good build up going on with Goldberg and Nash, the Wolfpac is another act that is super-over.

Thunder for August 19th 1998 absolutely sucked. This was like a typical episode of Saturday Night. Interesting Movies for Guys Who Like Movies for this week though, TBS network premier for Rapid Fire starring Brandon Lee(RIP) and Powers Boothe(RIP).

Saturday Night for August 24th 1998 was pretty decent, better than that week's Thunder for the second week in a row. Good match with Kidman vs Psicosis, Saturn vs Kanyon, Jericho cuts a promo and wrestles Chavo, and a surprisingly decent main event between Scott Hall vs Konnan, featuring a rare clean finish with Konnan scoring a pin with a rollup, sold as a really big upset. Not a bad episode of WCW Saturday Night at all.

Nitro for August 24th 1998 was another good one. WRATH!!!! I forgot how much I loved this guy, this is his return after a long layoff and he beats Mike Enos in a great squash. He has some really nice moves here, a spinning catapult flying shoulder block looked really nice. The pumphandle slam was fucking brutal. Great shit. He looked REALLY good here and the crowd was responding to him nicely.

Was really surprised by how good Malenko vs Kaz Hayashi was. Only a 3-4 minute match if that but it was hot and fast, Dean made Hayashi look good with the few offensive maneuvers he gets in. Really good stuff, Dean wins with a double under hook powerbomb and the Texas Cloverleaf, crowd pops HUGE for the Cloverleaf here, excellent.

Chris Jericho wrestles Curt Hennig, I only caught bits and pieces of this I need to go back and rewatch the full match. Something happened and I got busy and missed most of the main event as well, Kevin Nash and Goldberg team up to take on Hogan and The Giant, lots of shenanigans and a DQ schmozz finish I'm sure.

Thunder for August 26th 1998 God damn Wrath was awesome, he fucks up Scott Putski here, excellent flying lariat. Rest of this show was pretty meh. Honestly I fell asleep watching this and missed a lot of it.

Saturday Night for August 29th 1998 was another solid episode. Wrath vs Trevor Blanchard is a fucking phenomenal squash, Wrath just destroys this fucking guy, some really nice innovative moves by Wrath, his pumphandle powerslam finisher almost puts this poor fuck through the ring. Something else about this show that was great was Meng. He beats Jerry Flynn, who reminds me of Joe Piscopo from Sidekicks during his entrance. After Meng defeats Jerry Flynn with the Tongan he stays in the ring and won't leave until the guys for the next match come out. Evan Kerragius comes out and gets fucked up. Then Scott Norton comes out and goes toe to toe with Meng in a great brawl that goes to the back. Pretty cool. Main event is Chris Jericho vs Stevie Ray. The Giant comes out and destroys Jericho with a chokeslam for the DQ finish. Pretty weird how they worked Stevie Ray into the NWO, after The Giant came out and cost him his TV title a few Nitro's back. Booker T was supposed to face Bret on the last episode of Nitro but they found him beat up backstage so Stevie Ray goes out to take his place. The NWO comes out to join Bret as he confronts Stevie Ray and recruits him into the NWO black and white.

So I'm digging these shows. WCW got back down to business after all the Karl Malone/Dennis Rodman/Jay Leno bullshit that Summer and they've focused on some pretty good stuff. I think they were finally starting to realize that WWF was breathing down their necks at this point as Raw was red hot every week. I do like the way WCW was hyping up the War Games match with those excellent history videos. I do love Wrath. I do love Warrior's return so far(another great rub for DDP). Also really love Goldberg, the storyline building with Malenko bringing the Horsemen back.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-21-2017 at 01:14 AM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wrapped up the August 29th 1998 episode of Nitro, bad news this disc has no sound! FUCK!

Another excellent Wrath squash on this show. This is one bad ass motherfucker, something about him when he made his comeback in 1998 he's fucking jacked and great. I loved him as Adam Bomb when I was little so seeing him in this form back in the day I was a huge mark for it.

The cruiserweight division is fucking dead in the water at this point. I believe Rey is still out with an injury, also La Parka was injured I believe. Haven't seen much of El Dandy or Super Calo or any of those guys in these August tapes. Juvy is the champion but he just keeps working random matches. They just had nothing for any of these Luchadores, which doesn't make any sense considering how much TV they had to fill.

Marty Jannety is back, wearing rainbow colored jacket and matching tights.

They did an angle where Eddie tries to lay down for Brian Adams, he lets him win. mess.

I'm assuming both Scott Stiener and Buff were also injured, as well as Rick Stiener because they don't wrestle they just doe these goofy WWF/Stevie Richards style comedy segments.

Warrior has the big batman style spotlight, he's lurking in the rafters.

Some angle with Benoit coming back to reunite with Mongo and confront Arn, no audio so I couldn't figure out what was going on. I'm sure they will recap this on Thunder or Saturday Night.

Scott Norton squashes Norman Smiley. Man WCW had a pretty awesome little crew of heavyweight bad asses being pushed nicely at this stage, Wrath, Meng, Scott Norton were all being booked very well up to this point.

Kanyon is now a full on Raven follower after trolling him for months, with Horace in and out. Now they got an angle going with Saturn being Lodi's personal assistant after he lost a stipulation match. Dumb shit.

Chris Jericho beats Disco, I think he did anyways, I missed the finish.

Golberg squashes a straight up no-namer. I remember this was a big WTF back in the day with Goldberg defending the title against guys like this and Scott Putski type guys.

Main event was Hogan & Bret vs Luger & Sting. Sting just looks goofy in all the red, the color just doesn't work in the Crow style design, he should have did something a little different with the facepaint design, wouldn't have minded him using variations of his older style face paint design ala 95-96(pre-crow). Warrior comes out to smoke and lights to run Hollywood off as the show ends.

Whisper the Nitro Girl was the hottest thing on the show and it's like they actively try not to put her on camera, almost like she's too hot. Whenever the Nitro girls are on camera she's usually always in the back of the group, whenever the camera goes from girl to girl they always skip her. She was hotter than Sable and could have did huge ratings if they would have only found some way to put her on screen. One of the hottest women I've ever seen in my god damn life.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 05-20-2017 at 11:40 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Varsity Club (c) w/ Kevin Sullivan vs. Road Warriors- NWA WrestleWar 5/7/89- Tag Title Match

The Varsity Club are Mike Rotunda & Dr. Death Steve Williams. They rule. They get a cool entrance accompanied by cheerleaders. Road Warriors get a big pop and Gary Michael Cappetta is gold as the ring announcer. Roadies are pissed about being screwed out of the tag titles by the Varsity Club and recently-fired crooked referee Teddy Long. I notice the ref for this match is wearing white tennis shoes. Very bad form. And then JR informs me our ref is none other than Nikita Koloff!

I know I've seen this before but do not remember it. What I do remember is somebody on PWO or DVDVR or some place like that saying this version of the Varsity Club were the Road Warriors all time best opponents. Let's see about that.

Roadies rush the Club before the bell because they're pissed about being screwed out of the titles. Club bails. Crowd is hot. It settles into an energetic hossfest. Lots of clotheslines and slams. Rotunda and Animal both hit surprisingly nice dropkicks. Rotunda is over as the heel ace of the Varsity Club getting "Syracuse Sucks" chants. As much as I liked IRS, Mike Rotunda: Captain of the Varsity Club is the best thing he ever did. Nikita ejects Sullivan early for....heated words? He didn't even doing anything that heelish! But I suppose it's good to see a ref be proactive for once because you just know "The Gamesmaster" is plotting something nefarious. Huge pop for Nikita sending Sullivan to the back. Hawk hits a boss diving clothesline from the apron to Williams on the floor which elicited a "damn" from me. Hawk nailed him and landed hard. A few seconds later Hawk misses a clothesline and wraps his arm around the post. Doc works it over on the barricade marvelously and this is getting good.

Until Hawk makes a tag like 30 seconds later. No real heat segment. No milking it. Nothing. Emp would surely approve of this deviation from the formula but I do not. It soon breaks loose in Tulsa. Roadies hit their cool sandwich clothesline on Doc and follow it up with a Doomsday Device which the already-hot crowd rises for. 1-2-NO! Sullivan & Dan Spivey run out to break it up. They fight with Nikita as it continues to break loose. Match eventually gets thrown out. Roadies & Nikita stand tall.

Verdict- Energetic five and a half minute match with a hot crowd and a clear heel/face divide. Sort of a hossy actionfest. But it was awfully rushed and the cheap finish (on PPV!) leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Too bad Nikita didn't stick around. He would have been a nice addition to the Road Warriors vs. Varsity Club feud.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ROH TV 5/21/17

This episode consisted exclusively of matches from a February show in Japan called Honor Rising. Very lazy on ROH's part. Not gonna lie. I was dreading this once I figured out what it was going to be. But it ended up being quite good. Glad I stuck with it.

Los Ingobernables de Japon (Evil/Sanada/Bushi) vs. Tiger Mask/Jushin Liger/Delirious

LIJ is new to me. Here are my initial impressions....

Evil- Stocky with a singlet, some facepaint, and a really stupid ring name. Has a Rainbow Haired Warrior thing going on. I had a soft spot for him during his previous ROH stint as Watanabe.
    Sanada- Tall with Bride of Frankenstein hair. Wrestled in a t-shirt like a hack. Commentators put over his leaping ability which we saw no evidence of.
    Bushi- Small and masked. Resembles Rey Mysterio in appearance. Only evil instead of good.

*This stable sort of reminds me of something Kevin Sullivan would have concocted back in 1980s Florida. They're the NJPW 6 Man Tag Champs.

I think Tiger Mask is Tiger Mask IV of 90s Michinoku Pro fame. He was pretty cool back in the day.

This is joined in progress with fucking Delirious being shitty as ever. Definitely one of my all time least favorite ROH wrestlers. Nothing is worse than unfunny comedy and that's all Delirious does with his stupid "lizard man" shtick. He tags out to Liger which makes things less bad. I dig the heels going after the masks of all three babyfaces. Heels should always be going after the masks of babyfaces. Liger's Shotei is almost as bad as Cheeseburger's at this stage of his career. TM comes in to hit a Tombstone and is then shoved off the top rope. Delirious eventually gets a hot tag and stinks up the joint as always by running around like a goofball for a minute. The worst. Heels hit like five straight finishers on Delirious, which isn't nearly enough for my liking. Sanada looks for his real finisher, which starts from a Slop Drop position but Delirious escapes...right into an Evil chairshot. Sanada immediately locks on a nasty looking Dragon Sleeper for the win.

*1/2. Delirious brought this down a lot by being annoying and awful. Wouldn't mind seeing LIJ against 3 decent opponents instead of 2 quality oldsters and a guy who sucks. They didn't do much outside of heeling but I'm sure they'd be alright against decent opponents.

Hirooki Goto vs. Punishment Martinez

Oh boy. I was dreading this one.

Goto has a rep for being boring. I've seen him a few times before and all I remembered about his wrestling was a cool Hellevator finisher. He didn't make an impression. So I'm thinking the boring label is accurate.

Martinez is probably the least over regular in ROH. He's a tall but relatively thin hoss with facepaint doing an old school monster heel gimmick. ROH crowds greet his matches with apathetic silence. He's not a very good hoss and had previously displayed zero charisma.

So of course this match is quite good! Martinez was really vocal. Grunting and shouting in a very deep voice. He also posed a lot. The best was the time 'boring' Goto fired back with a pose of his own to a nice pop. There were some annoying NJPW tropes like the dreaded forearm exchange and even a Frye/Takayama spot. But even these weren't as bad as usual. Martinez had one saving grace coming into this. He does these cool dives over the post. Last time it was a flip dive where he almost died because Beer City Bruiser was out of position. This time it was a nutty Undertaker-style dive to a very-much-in-position Goto. Martinez controlled most of the way and came off as a legit badass monster for the first time ever. Goto sold well and I'm thinking maybe Goto is 'boring' because he has no offense but is actually good at making other wrestlers look strong? It's certainly possible. Martinez can't quite put Goto away and Hirooki hits his finisher (a Slop Drop on the knee) out of nowhere for the hard fought win. As far as played out 'on the knee' moves go (and they've thankfully been less prevalent in ROH of late) this is one of the better ones. Looks like it could break a neck for real.

***. Exceeded my expectations by a full two stars. Easily the best Punishment Martinez match I've seen. Oh, and this was also for Goto's Never Openweight Title, which I think is the 3rd most important singles championship in New Japan.

*This show took place at the famous Kurokean Hall which I still have trouble spelling properly after all these years. The ceiling is adorned with banners of the wrestlers in a nice touch. The Juice Robinson banner was the most prominently displayed due to camera angles.

Bullet Club (Kenny Omega/Cody/Young Bucks) vs. Briscoes/Okada/Will Ospreay

This ruled and was almost a great match. Reminiscent of the wild Styles & Bucks 6 man tags from a few years back. Best I've seen Bullet Club Cody look. He was super over and 'too sweeting' it up all over the place. First time I felt like he fit in the Bullet Club (fwiw I didn't like AJ in the Bullet Club much either. AJ & Cody (up until now) doing BC stuff always seemed so forced to me). Crowd was super hot for all the participants but were especially into the Bullet Club. Far too much insanity to recap. A few highlights include...

-Omega & the Bucks triple superkicking Okada
    -Bullet Club hitting what I'm going to call a superkick pendulum on Ospreay
    -Cody superplexing Ospreay to the floor after teasing it on Okada. I thought "there's no way Okada is taking that" and he didn't. But at least Ospreay did.
    -Omega putting Ospreay in the nastiest chinlock since a young Randy Orton.

Started off teasing Okada vs. Omega which would have been their first meeting since the 6 star (per Meltzer) WrestleKingdom match. Crowd was hot for this teased showdown. But Okada, the face, bailed out in a weird moment. Okada has changed, man. His hair is tamer. He's lost some of his swagger. Definitely not as cocky as he once was. I didn't even recognize him at first.

Heels worked over Ospreay for a long time. Will eventually made the hot tag. It broke down. Cody eventually pinned Ospreay with Cross Rhodes.

Omega and the Bucks are pretty obviously a cut or two above most guys. They just have "it" and they can all be so good. And that is why they are so frustrating. They always have to turn the wacky antics up to 11. If they just kept it on 6 or 7 they'd be amazing. Their constant need to be zany hurt what was an otherwise awesome match. Ospreay is guilty of this in a different way. Every single thing he does has to be a 720 when a 360 would suffice. It would be so much better if he did like eight 360 flippity doos and then broke out a 720 for the finish. Omega, the Bucks and Ospreay will probably peak when their bodies are broken down and they're forced to tone it back a little.

What put this above most action fests was the inevitable Okada/Omega showdown. It felt epic. Hell, even I was marking out a little and I didn't even see their 36 star match from January.

***3/4. Very good actionfest. Worth watching. Almost great.

Special WCW bonus match....

Hulk Hogan vs. Hugh Morrus- Nitro 11/27/95

I was a mild Hugh Morrus fan back in the day because fat guy moonsault.

Hogan is without mustache! So weird! And it makes him look even older. He looks more like Billy Graham than ever with the clean shaven face and receding hairline. His WCW theme is weak sauce. Even more so when you realize it replaced his iconic Real American theme.

Even back then Hogan was to Bischoff what Michaels was to Vince. Good grief. Get a room already.

Crowd is pro-Hogan but there are definitely pockets of haters. Hulk gets some "thumbs down" and you hear some boo birds.

This was lazy Hogan by the numbers stuff. Hulk worked Hugh over with shady tactics like eye and back rakes. Hugh comes back with a nice twisting clothesline off the 2nd rope. Hits the moonsault. Hogan kicks out, Hulks up, big boot, big leg, 1-2-3. Lame. Hugh Morrus was relatively new. In fact, this may have been his first match. Lemme check....OK, it was his 5th WCW match and first Nitro match. So they just killed a new guy and his finisher right off the bat. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Last edited by Baker; 05-22-2017 at 04:52 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Evil- Stocky with a singlet, some facepaint, and a really stupid ring name. Has a Rainbow Haired Warrior thing going on. I had a soft spot for him during his previous ROH stint as Watanabe.
    Sanada- Tall with Bride of Frankenstein hair. Wrestled in a t-shirt like a hack. Commentators put over his leaping ability which we saw no evidence of.
    Bushi- Small and masked. Resembles Rey Mysterio in appearance. Only evil instead of good.
    Don't know if you saw LIJ's entrance, but EVIL comes out dressed as the grim reaper, complete with scythe. It's super corny, like an 8-year old's Halloween costume, but somehow it's caught on. This is pro-wrestling, after all. SANADA is a super athlete. His leaping ability is phenomenal. He can't quite match Okada's dropkick, but he comes closer than anyone else. BUSHI is indeed an evil Rey Mysterio.

Goto sold well and I'm thinking maybe Goto is 'boring' because he has no offense but is actually good at making other wrestlers look strong? It's certainly possible. Martinez can't quite put Goto away and Hirooki hits his finisher (a Slop Drop on the knee) out of nowhere for the hard fought win. As far as played out 'on the knee' moves go (and they've thankfully been less prevalent in ROH of late) this is one of the better ones. Looks like it could break a neck for real.
    I didn't realise Goto had a reputation for being boring. I'm under the impression that I'm the only one who thinks he's boring and everybody else thinks he's pretty good. Goto's offense is not bad at all. My problem with Goto is similar to my problem with Finn Balor. They are both very good wrestlers from a mechanical/moveset standpoint, but they are so bland and every one of their matches comes across as the most generic match possible. That said, I much prefer Goto over Balor because he at least has some semblance of personality, even if it the generic bushido fighting spirit stuff. I appreciate Goto's newer finisher from an impact point of view, but it's so visually unimpressive. The Shouten Kai (Hellevator) was so much cooler. He still does it from time to time, but the Slop Drop on the knee is his main finisher.

What put this above most action fests was the inevitable Okada/Omega showdown. It felt epic. Hell, even I was marking out a little and I didn't even see their 36 star match from January.
    You should watch it. And review it. Right here! In the match review thread!

I agree with your thoughts on Omega/Bucks/Ospreay being too over the top for my liking. Omega is much better when the Bucks aren't around (OK, they were at ringside for the Okada match but they didn't really do anything). His singles run in NJPW is proof of that.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Don't know if you saw LIJ's entrance, but EVIL comes out dressed as the grim reaper, complete with scythe. It's super corny, like an 8-year old's Halloween costume, but somehow it's caught on.

I didn't realise Goto had a reputation for being boring. I'm under the impression that I'm the only one who thinks he's boring and everybody else thinks he's pretty good.

You should watch it. And review it. Right here! In the match review thread!
    Sadly entrances were clipped in that one LIJ match I watched. Of course I searched for an Evil entrance as soon as I read your post. I was not disappointed. Could use a more fitting theme though. The generic stuff he came out to was not nearly ominous/evil enough.

I've seen plenty of other people call Goto boring. Apparently he also has a reputation for being a choke artist.

The Okada/Omega match length is a turnoff. If it was 27 minutes I might give it a shot but 47 minutes is just too long for me at this point. I have no attention span

War Games 95 And How The Dungeon of Doom Made Me A WCW Fan Again

So I've been watching a bunch of Dungeon of Doom segments over the past few days and I had a revelation. The Dungeon of Doom made me a WCW fan again back in the day. Here is that story....

The Build

I had been a sporadic NWA/WCW fan over the years. My lapses were more a case of WCW not being available in my area, or being on at inconvenient times, than a lack of interest in the product. WCW syndicated programs finally got a regular, convenient timeslot in my area in late 92-early 93. I watched WCW regularly for a year and a half. It never compared to my beloved WWF but I was a fan. Those shows had a certain charm. I also used to fight with my brother, who was going through one of his occasional wrestling-hater phases, for control of the (cable!) tv on Saturday evenings when we went to our grandparents house while the adults were discussing mortgages and other boring grownup stuff in the other room. Sometimes I won and got to watch muh WCW Saturday Night. Other times he won and got to watch some stupid sporting event, boring Nickelodeon show, or dumb music video (usually The Box rather than MTV).

Everything was going great until stupid Hulk Hogan came in with his friends and ruined my quaint little supplemental wrestling promotion. The whole product changed nearly overnight. Many of the WCW homegrown guys I had come to know and appreciate got phased out and replaced by ex-WWF geezers. I liked WCW as its own unpretentious little thing. Now it was becoming the WWF retirement home lead by my least favorite WWF superstar of all time

By now WCW Worldwide came on after Superstars. At this point I disliked about 90% of the roster and would usually turn it off to do something more productive before the opening match was over. Before long I chose not to watch a wrestling program for pretty much the first time ever. My cousin offered me tickets to Superbrawl IV in Baltimore. I refused. Think about that for a second. I refused wrestling tickets to what would have been my very first live pay per view in 1995, no less! It wasn't even a case of being brainwashed by Vince to hate the Evil Empire. The Monday Night Wars weren't a thing yet. I just had no interest in the WCW product. I actually found it depressing to watch. Like I would legitimately get sad trying to watch WCW tv from about July 94-September 95

For the first half of 1995 about the only WCW act I would stick around for were The Bluebloods. I had even soured on Flair due to him being treated like Hogan's bitch. Wasn't even into the Macho/Flair feud at all. Been there, done that. I didn't really have an "all time favorite wrestler" at that point. If I ever had, it ended with the Honkytonk Man's shitty late 1994 WCW run. I lived in the now, man. Flair wasn't doing it for me at the time so I had no real loyalty to him.

But something new started to grab my interest. I would occasionally catch these bizarre vignettes with Kevin Sullivan & some freak called The Master doing weird things in a cave. These segments captured my attention. I was a huge Hercules: The Legendary Journeys fan. Either this summer or the next summer I would get into classic Doctor Who (Jon Pertwee ftw). I loved Stephen King miniseries' (The Stand!) and stuff like Jason and the Argonauts. It's safe to say I grew up on hammy over the top villains and bad special effects. So the Dungeon of Doom was right up my alley. I dug the concept but not the execution. After all this gloriously campy speechifying from Sullivan and The (non Roger Delgado) Master another DoD member would emerge from the smoke to be....just another repackaged ex-WWF geezer So disappointing. But I can say with 100% honesty that the Dungeon of Doom would have been right up there with The Dean, The Pirate & Goldust had they used fresh new guys (Power Plant grads, perhaps) instead of the same ol' tired ex-WWF retreads. So while I still didn't watch WCW very often, for the first time in a while something in the WCW main event scene had captured my attention. It wasn't perfect because lol WCW but at least I dug the concept. In hindsight, the Dungeon of Doom was the last gasp of the cartoon wrestling chock full of monster super heavyweight heels I had grown up on.

Fast forward to the weekend of Fall Brawl '95. I'm watching Worldwide no doubt expecting to turn it off in a minute or two as usual when Bagwell, Johnny B. Badd, Alex Wright, DDP, Renegade (good grief! their young guys were just as bad as the oldsters!), or one of the countless old timers comes out when I see a message scroll across the bottom of the screen that went something like this...

BREAKING NEWS: VADER HAS LEFT WCW! LEX LUGER WILL REPLACE HIM IN WAR GAMES THIS SUNDAY LIVE ON PAY PER VIEW!

This was interesting. Vader left! And when did Lex Luger come back to WCW?!? Hmm....did WWF & WCW make another trade? Vader for Lex? And I always wanted to see a War Games. I had never seen one before. Ordering pay per views was entirely out of the question due to lack of cable and my parents being wrestling-haters. I wasn't yet a big enough wrestling fan to rent videos from the store (boy would that change soon) and I'm not sure my local Blockbuster (I was still a few weeks away from discovering the greatness of West Coast Video) carried WCW videos anyway. So War Games had this almost mythical quality not unlike Sabu matches would a few months later.

Anyway, I think I watched that whole episode of Worldwide. Or at least more of it than I had at any time in the previous year. They really sold the Dungeon having a chance to win War Games by pushing the "Can Hogan trust Luger?" narrative.

I ended up discussing this breaking wrestling news with a few friends later that day or the next. My clique had ordered Summerslam the previous month. It was my first live wrestling pay per view in at least 5 years. I expressed a desire to see War Games. Pretty soon the others were on board. One trio of brothers had actually seen a War Games or two! The conversation went something like this....

Me: I've always wanted to see a War Games.
    Brandon: WHAT?!? You've never seen a War Games before?!? Man, you're really missing out!
    Bryan: Sid almost killed Brian Pillman in a War Games this one time!
    Casey: Yeah! And then El Gigante ripped off the door to save him!

And with that I was more sold than ever. (I think that's also when I learned El Gigante (who I had maybe seen once or twice) was Giant Gonzalez) One thing lead to another and now there was no way we were missing War Games the next night.

Yep. The very first WCW pay per view I ever ordered had very little to do with Ric f'n Flair. It was almost entirely due to Hulk Hogan, Lex Luger, and the bah gawd Dungeon of Doom

The Show

Most of the show was typical WCW garbage featuring a bunch of wrestlers I had zero interest in but things did pick up with the first and only high profile Flair vs. Arn match. Here are some memories from this show....

Had no interest in Pillman/JB Badd. A babyface match featuring Johnny B. Badd? Ugh. No thanks.

This show marked the first time I had ever heard about Nitro. I naturally thought WCW had signed Nitro the American Gladiator And he may have been in a tag team with Marcus Bagwell called The American Males. Or is it American Mails? Perhaps they are doing a postal worker gimmick? That's how far out of the loop I was. I didn't realize Nitro was the name of a new Monday night wrestling show until either the next day or a week or two later.

Flair/Arn was a minor draw for the show. Like if War Games wasn't enough for one of my friends to come over and watch I might throw in "Well, Flair is wrestling Arn for the very first time, too!" in an attempt to get them on board. But I wasn't as hyped for Flair/Arn as you'd think. I already mentioned I was down on Flair and I actually wasn't the biggest Arn fan in the world back then. If you'd have asked me my thoughts on Arn I'd have said something like "The Brainbusters were cool." That's what Arn was to me back then....Tully's partner way back in the day. Sure, I liked him well enough to where he'd just crack a WCW Top 10 favorites list if he happened to be aligned with Flair at the time, but Arn without Flair was a big pile of meh. He was a little dull. Not really pushed that strong all the time. The definition of a midcarder. (to be fair, I did miss his awesome Dangerous Alliance run) Boy, would that soon change. And it started with this match. It reinvigorated my love of both men. A bunch of wrestlers gathered around the ring to witness this historic battle. I thought that was really cool. First time I could remember seeing something like that. Of course it would be stolen many times in the future, most commonly by Heyman in ECW. And I was PISSED when Pillman interfered to cost Flair the match. Pillman went from a guy I had never really cared about to WCW Public Enemy #2 (still behind Hogan, of course) with one interference. The Horsemen reunited (w/ Pillman) a month later and that lead to revisiting the Horsemen's glory days from my youth in VHS form which solidified Flair as the GOAT/my all time favorite and never again would I think Arn was anything less than awesome. So do I owe my undying love of Flair & Arn to the Dungeon of Doom getting me to watch Fall Brawl '95? Maybe I do.....

THAT Mr. Wonderful vignette! Oh. My. God. This stole the show. It was rare for all 8 or 9 members of my clique to rally around one wrestler. We had a mix of heel and face fans. And there was always that one contrarian who would dislike the guy everybody else liked just to be difficult (this was usually me ). Barry Horowitz had been the only wrestler who was universally loved by our group. And now there was another. Mr. Wonderful instantly became Our WCW Guy.

Spoiler

Main event was an overall disappointment. War Games didn't even come close to living up to literally eight years of hype. Nothing was resolved with Luger who would continue to play the "can you trust him?" tweener for a whopping 10 more months. Stupid Hogan won and got to beat up the poor Taskmaster for 5 minutes. But The Giant put an end to that! My hero! Wish he would have ripped off the cage door the way I "remembered" but that neck twist had us (yes, even me) legit concerned for Hogan's safety. Suddenly "Andre's son" was a badass who just might end Hulkamania (lol yeah right. But I did kinda sorta believe it was possible for at least one night, so mission accomplished.)

*Will review the match tomorrow since this post ran waaaaay too long.

The Aftermath

Fall Brawl, while not a good show by any stretch of the imagination, got me watching WCW regularly again. Hogan's show-closing injury was a big hook. So was prospect of more MR. WONDERFUL~! Arn, and especially Pillman, had HUGE heat with me coming out of Fall Brawl. Flair was back to being one of My Guys and I wanted to see him dish out a righteous ass whippin' to those two jerks. Plus I just had to see American Gladiator Nitro in the ring True story.

Pretty soon I was watching more WCW than ever before. I saw (new Horseman!) Chris Benoit & Eddie Guerrero bring 'new style wrestling' to the mainstream. I saw the Horsemen ride again. Mr. Wonderful got a wonderful theme and became even more amazing. My guy from those few weeks in 1993, Flash Norton, who I had half come to think was just a figment of my imagination, returned from a long hiatus to Parts Unknown, Japan to kick ass....or at least look like a guy who should be kicking ass. I was digging an amusing newcomer called the Disco Inferno and another newcomer named Dean Malenko with his 1000 holds became another favorite among my clique. Discovering all this cool WCW stuff, which soon lead to binge watching classic NWA tapes every weekend, which lead to a bunch of other things, can be traced directly back to the stable that made WCW great again....

The Dungeon of Doom

vCash
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had free preview all week of one of the PPV channels when this show happened. I can still remember all the movies we got to see, The Quick and the Dead, House Guest(the Sinbad/Phil Hartman movie), Heavyweights(Ben Stiller), and WCW Fall Brawl WAR GAMES 95!! They just kept playing that continuously over and over again. We were stoked as it gets, watched this show like 2 or 3 times that week. This was the first War Games match I ever saw, a fucking Hulk Hogan War Games! Man I thought this was awesome back in the day.

vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've seen plenty of other people call Goto boring. Apparently he also has a reputation for being a choke artist.
    A big part of his kayfabe character is being a choke artist. He's capable of beating just about anyone, but when it comes to the big title match, he always loses. He beat Shibata at Wrestle Kingdom for the NEVER title. That's his first singles title win in a long time.

The Okada/Omega match length is a turnoff. If it was 27 minutes I might give it a shot but 47 minutes is just too long for me at this point. I have no attention span
    If not that, then Omega vs Ishii from the New Japan Cup. I think it's a better match, mainly because it's more compact (and thus less filler). It's about 30 minutes.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hulkamaniacs (Hogan/Savage/Luger/Sting) w/ Jimmy Hart vs. Dungeon of Doom (Shark/Meng/Zodiac/Kamala) w/ Taskmaster Kevin Sullivan- WCW Fall Brawl 9/17/95- WAR GAMES

We start with a video package chronicling the Hogan vs. DoD feud. It's always nice to have a little video refresher before a big match.

Personal feelings aside, the Hulkamaniacs are a hell of a babyface superteam with megastar power all over the place. Only the biggest rube would have thought the Dungeon stood a chance. I guess I was the biggest rube. We get a gloriously insane Hulkamaniacs backstage promo conducted by Mean Gene. Everybody gets a few words in. So much shouting. Hogan steals the show by saying he got he 'Maniacs to drink Agent Orange before the match to toughen them up. Amazing. Then everybody flexes including Jimmy Hart. Oh, and they're dressed in army fatigues to put over the "War" in War Games. For some reason Jimmy is waving an American flag. Yeah, ok, these guys are patriots. And I guess technically the Dungeon consists of exclusively of foreigners in kayfabe. But the DoD is not anti-American! You think Meng & Kamala give a shit one way or another about a particular nation? Shark hails from the fucking Ocean. And you just know there are no borders in The Iron Gates of Fate that Sullivan calls home or Zodiac's Land of Yin and Yang. The Dungeon doesn't want to destroy America. Their goals are far more esoteric. They won't get riled up at the flag. So I don't really see the need for the babyfaces to play up their patriotism here.

Michael Buffer handles the introductions and I've been a little hard on Buffer over the years. The thing is he's been parodied for almost as long as he's been a thing. He's also had some high profile flubs (Bret Clark, anyone?). So it's easy to forget he's actually a damn good ring announcer. Has a great voice. Gets some fabulous lines. Brings a certain gravitas to the proceedings.

Shark & Sting start it out. I'm with Heenan on this. Stupid move by the Dungeon. You don't want to start with your biggest man (or fish, in this case). You save your 508 pounder for last. Let him be the cleanup hitter. Should have started with Zodiac from a strategy standpoint or maybe Meng from a smarkier "let's make this match suck a tiny bit less" perspective. Sting hits his cool leaping clothesline over both sets of ropes. Then, in the spot of the match, Shark tries equaling The Stinger with a dive of his own! Nuts! Of course he doesn't make it, and gets stuck on the ropes, which somehow seems even more dangerous to me than if he would have cleared the ropes. Props to the big man. The announcers lose me by not making the obvious 'beached shark' reference as Sting kicks away at the trapped Shark's ample midsection. Shark eventually comes back to lock on the dreaded bearhug and I'm already bored with at least 15 minutes to go. Not a good sign. Sting fights back and locks in the Scorpion a short time later to no reaction. Weird.

Zodiac is next. Stuff happens. Savage is next for the good guys. He had good fire. Highlight of this segment was Sullivan grabbing Sting's leg through the cage so The Stinger couldn't do much. It was pretty much a 2 on 1 for the Dungeon. Meng or Kamala is in next for the Dungeon. I don't even remember which one. Stuff once again happens. Luger is out next for the good guys. Stuff happens. In case you couldn't tell, this has been a rather boring match. Oh, Zodiac surprised me by taking a good 'head to cage' bump but that's still a pretty lousy highlight for a War Games match. The last heel comes in. Stuff. Happens. And finally Hogan enters for the good guys. Fucking Hogan IMMEDIATELY cheats by throwing powder in the eyes of all 4 heels. Wtf? The Dungeon hasn't even been that heelish in this match. What a scumbag. Hogan is just the worst. Unless it's Bobby Heenan on commentary trying and failing to put the powder over as Napalm. Yes. This actually happened. Luger 'accidentally' hits Savage with a clothesline leading to controversy. But the Dungeon cannot capitalize and Hogan soon makes Zodiac submit to an extremely weak Camel Clutch. Good grief. An eight year old would have survived that glorified chinlock. And why is Hogan, who has zero established submission holds, getting the win instead of Sting with his well-established Scorpion? Or better yet, why didn't the recently returned Master of the Torture Rack Lex Luger score the submission win to build him for his promised title shot with Hogan? Because Hulk Hogan, brother! The worst.

Post-match sees Hogan get 5 minutes alone with The Taskmaster. This isn't great. Taskmaster isn't much of a bumper and WCW had a strict no blood policy at the time. But The Giant soon arrives on the scene to save his master. Neck snap by the G-Man! Hogan and the commentary sold this well. I totally bought into it at the time.

Verdict- Lousy War Games with no blood, a pretty weak heel squad, and only one great brawler in Savage who didn't really get to do a whole lot. It became a squash as soon as Hogan entered. They never even bothered to tease a Dungeon win. Meng could have at least put somebody in the Tongan Death Grip (provided he was doing it this early) for some drama. Shark's failed dive and Giant snapping Hogan's neck were the closest thing to highlights while Giant came out of this match looking better than any of the participants.

*1/2

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you're hot you're hot and sometimes you just can't stop. I am deep into the mid 90s WCW right now.

Horsemen (Flair/Arn/Benoit/Pillman) vs. Joey Maggs/Frankie Lancaster/Men At Work- WCW Pro 1/6/96

Every few months I will enter "Horsemen vs." into a search engine and hope something cool pops up. The Horsemen didn't work as many 4 on 4 squashes over the years as I had hoped. Another WCW/NWA misstep for sure.

Maggs is probably the quintessential WCW jobber. Their Barry Horowitz, if you will. Even if I personally was a Gambler guy all the way. He is short, mulleted, pudgy, and like most bad/unsuccessful wrestlers, comes from my hometown of Baltimore.

Frankie "The Thumper" Lancaster was a minor star in a few dying territories. I've seen other people compare him to Bob Holly. I don't see it. At all. He did have a memorable TV Title match or two* with Regal that was actually one of my all time favorite Regal matches.

*I remembered their being two matches. First one Frankie takes His Lordship to the limit. Either Regal won by cheating or it was a draw and Regal won the rematch decisively. But I've never been able to find online evidence of their being two Regal/Lancaster matches.

Men At Work were a lower card construction-themed babyface tag team in WCW's insanely deep tag division. Think they feuded with a lower card heel team called the Barrio Brothers. Men At Work consists of a young Chris Kanyon and a guy named Mark Starr who is the real life brother of Chris Champion of New Breed fame.

Horsemen come out to their epic theme. Pillman & Benoit are wearing identical pants which makes me think the plan was for them to be the Horsemen's tag team. On one hand it makes sense given their Stampede backgrounds and smaller stature. But on the other hand it's weird that Arn, the Horsemen's historic tag team guy, was positioned to be a singles wrestler. Flair is in one of his bad haircut phases.

All four Horsemen get a segment to show off their stuff. I wasn't really feeling Flair or Arn this time around. Pillman did one of my least favorite spots- the leap off the ropes right into your opponents boot. It's stupid. And I saw this one coming from a mile away due to the positioning. 3 of the 4 babyfaces got ring time with only poor Kanyon never tagging in. In a match with Flair, Arn, Pillman, Benoit & Kanyon, Mark f'n Starr was actually the standout performer having a nice chop battle with Pillman and pulling off a flawless twisting second rope bodypress on Arn. Wrestling is so weird. It breaks loose down the stretch. Benoit powerbombs Kanyon. Then Pillman & Benoit pull off a double team dropkick + Dragon Suplex on Starr for the win. Cool idea in theory but Benoit's had a rare misstep as his execution on the suplex was off. And I'm sure he beat himself up over this slight mistake on WCW's D show for weeks.

Commentary was provided by Dusty (who had an off night), Larry Legend, and somebody I didn't recognize. Probably Chris Cruise.

Teddy Long showed up to scout talent for his WOATC lower card babyface stable.

*- Disappointing.

Blue Bloods vs. Barry Houston & Mike Davis- WCW Main Event 4/24/95

I had forgotten how many weekly tv shows WCW had during this period. Good grief. I suppose that's one of the benefits of being owned by the guy who owns TBS. I got either Pro or Main Event in 93-94 in a block with Worldwide but rarely, if ever, watched the other one.

The Blue Bloods are Lord Steven Regal and Bobby Eaton doing a British aristocrat gimmick as Earl Robert Eaton. They were gold and my favorite (the only good?) thing about this period of WCW. I kept wanting them to win the tag titles so bad. Convinced myself it was going to happen at the January '96 Clash against Sting & Luger (they're not even a real team!). But alas. It never happened. Yet the American Males and Bunkhouse Buck & Dick Slater got tag title reigns while the Bluebloods were active Stupid WCW. They deserved to go out of business.

Barry Houston was a longtime jobber with a good rep on places like DVDVR (the precursor to PWO) while Mike Davis got a push in Global as "The Viper." My weird brother is a fan of his Global stuff for some reason.

Bluebloods theme is even better than the Horsemen theme. Love their mannerisms. Lord Steven has the GOAT pissface. His Lordship always looked like he had just downed a cup full of urine. Then he does this dance...? gyration...? pirouette thing upon entering the ring and it's glorious.

This smoked the Horsemen squash. The Bluebloods showed far more personality than Flair and the boys. Regal took down one of the jobbers with some nice technical World of Sport style stuff. Then he hit a few good European Uppercuts....and kept hitting European Uppercuts. It got old after a while and is pretty much a Kilgore nightmare. Earl Robert tags in and randomly hits an Angle Slam. In 1995. He was also known to bust out a random Cattle Mutilation in like the late 80s. As if you needed more evidence that Bobby Eaton ruled. Regal eventually finishes off one of the ham and eggers with a Regal Stretch.

Dusty was amazing on commentary going off on tangents about earls and nerds, explaining the subtle differences between clubberin' and clubbin', and even mentioning 'fisteses' a few times. I'm so glad I came around on Dusty about a year later to see him for the national treasure he was after dismissing him as garbage for the first 8-9 years of my fandom. His commentary colleague Eric Bischoff was a perfectly acceptable straight man, but let's face it. This was the Dusty Show.

Verdict- *3/4 for Regal's antics, Eaton's Angle Slam and Dusty's glorious commentary.

The Transformation of Bobby Eaton

This joins the Vinnie Vegas/Van Hammer Arm Wrestling classic and Mr. Wonderful regaining his mojo with help from Gary Spivey as the Holy Trinity of WCW sports entertainment masterpieces.

Perhaps now 2000s WWE Regal fans will understand why I grew to loathe him.

Ric Flair should never be Spartacus.
    Michael Jordan should never choose baseball over basketball.
    And Lord Steven Regal should never anything other than the world's greatest toff.
    Last edited by Baker; 05-23-2017 at 11:44 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Perhaps now 2000s WWE Regal fans will understand why I grew to loathe him.

Ric Flair should never be Spartacus.
    Michael Jordan should never choose baseball over basketball.
    And Lord Steven Regal should never anything other than the world's greatest toff.
    Hey! In 2002 Regal was still the world's greatest toff!

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
    Hey! In 2002 Regal was still the world's greatest toff!

"Why would you worship a man who ponces around like a fifty pence tart in these feather boas?"

"What are you going to see when the Power of the Punch runs wild on thee?"

Nice find.

It's not like I turned on Regal immediately. I quite enjoyed him for his first year or so in WWE when he was still more or less the same old Lord Steven Regal just with a new first name. Think it was around Wrestlemania 18 that I turned on him. Some of it was backlash, too, over an alleged 'great wrestler' who I only enjoyed watching in the ring when he was doing Honkytonk Man style wimpy heel stuff.

Watched a really bad, rushed Dungeon of Doom vs. Mr. JL/Joe Gomez/Armstrongs squash from November 1996. The Dungeon should not have been around that long. They had already lost two big blowoff-style matches to Hogan & Friends and they seemed more dated than ever now that the NWO had been created and the reformed Horsemen were riding high again. DoD membership also somehow managed to get even worse. I mean say what you will about the likes of Kamala, Zodiac & Loch Ness, at least they fit the Dungeon's B movie vibe. Later members Big Bubba & Konnan? Not so much. There is nothing remotely Dungeon of Doomy about those guys. The DoD inexplicably remained a thing until July 1997.

Mr. JL was Jerry Lynn dressed as a Luchador for reasons only the WCW booking committee knows. If things had gone a little differently for Lynn we could have seen him mixing it up in the cruiserweight division with Eddie, Dean, Benoit, Rey, Jericho, etc. Instead he's getting squashed by the Dungeon. Sad.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched 3 quality tag matches and a shitty WCW jobber match. Guess which one I'm likely to write the most about?

The Gambler vs. Brady Boone- WCW Pro 10/1/94

The Gambler is my all time favorite WCW jobber. I go on a Gambler binge about once a year. He looks like Arn Anderson with Colonel Parker's wardrobe.

Brady Boone is an interesting character. He was a high flying (for the time) glorified WWF jobber in the late 80s. Meaning he was a jobber who'd occasionally get in some offense. He was a favorite of young RVD and one of his influences. True story. I imagine Lanny Poffo & Brady Boone were WWF favorites among the few smarks existing in 1987. Boone got a very small push as Billy Jack Haynes' (kayfabe) cousin. See, Demolition beat the crap out of Boone one day and Haynes came in for the seemingly random save. We then discovered they were cousins in the storyline. I thought they were real life cousins until a few hours ago. Boone would get another small push a few years later as Battle Kat- a gimmick so obscure I didn't even know it existed until learning about it via Wrestlecrap around 2000. I didn't know he ever worked WCW.

This is a jobber vs. jobber match. Bottom of the barrel when it comes to importance. It's not very good either, though it must be said Boone looked better than my man The Gambler They do randomly invent(?) the Eddie-Dean/RVD-Lynn rollup sequence but execute it rather poorly. Boone hits a great sunset flip. Seriously. Who the hell hits a great sunset flip? I didn't even know there could be such a thing as a great sunset flip before this match. Like how could such a thing exist? A sunset flip is a sunset flip, amirite? But Boone's is better than the norm. Boone also hits a frankensteiner and wins with a moonsault to a standing Gambler. All rather state of the art stuff for 1994 US wrestling. But the basics in this match were crap.

Commentary was provided by Gordon Solie(!) and Zbyszko or Heenan or somebody. I forget. Didn't know Gordon was around this late.

Steiner Brothers (c) vs. Midnight Express w/ Jim Cornette- WCW Saturday Night 10/13/90- US Tag Title Match

Seeing the Midnight Express come out to their epic theme and throwing up the original wrestling 'X' (sorry New Jack fans) while Cornette swings his racket around before handling the ring introductions gets me every time. That's just one of those things I always think about when I think NWA or WCW. Classic stuff.

Steiners come out to a HUGE pop and a theme that is neither Welcome To The Jungle or Steinerized. WWE Network dub, perhaps?

When I got into classic NWA/WCW in 95-96 I'd always check the match listings of tapes at the video store for a Steiners vs. Midnight Express bout. It was definitely a dream match for me at the time. Yet I never found this epic-on-paper matchup. Years later I got online and read these teams had no chemistry. I have no idea what those people were talking about because this is an excellent encounter which follows the traditional heel vs. face tag formula done to perfection, features cool moves, and a red hot pro-Steiners crowd. Rick, in particular, is hugely over. He has a bandage above his eye covering a cut caused by the Nasty Boys. JR kind of ruins the finish by saying the Midnight Express will get the Steiners match with the Nasties at Halloween Havoc if they win. He's accompanied on commentary by Bob Caudle who gets off one fantastic Southern fried line I can't quite remember at the moment.

First few minutes have the Steiners owning the MX like Eaton & Lane are a couple of bumbling boobs. Highlight is Eaton going for a superplex only to have Scotty escape and hoist Eaton up in electric chair position for the patented Steiner Bulldog. It connects. Huge pop. Being 1990 instead of 2017, Eaton has the sense to roll out of the ring with help from Sweet Stan rather than kick out of his opponents finisher a few minutes in. Another cool moment occurs when Eaton tries suckering in the slow-witted "Dog Faced Gremlin" but perhaps Rick isn't so slow-witted after all because he decks Eaton with a clothesline instead of falling for the obvious ploy. MX eventually take over in a cool way. Lane made a blind tag. Scott put Sweet Stan in a headlock. Eaton nailed an unsuspecting Scott from behind with a picture perfect bulldog. So good. Sweet Stan abuses Scotty with his educated feet and now we go to school. Eaton's GOATC swinging neckbreaker and Divorce Court make an appearance along with some Stan Hansenesque lefty Lariats. Scott eventually gets the hot tag to Rick following a flash Pearl River Plunge as the crowd roars. It breaks loose in Tulsa. I actually thought it was over after Cornette nailed Rick with a racket shot in spite of JR ruining the finish earlier. NO! Rick escapes at 2.9. Steiners get the win a short time later with a flash Hart Attack(!) outta nowhere.

Verdict- Excellent match. ***+ My only real complaint is the Steiners used a lot of lame body slams in lieu of their usual awesome suplexes. The finish was rather indecisive and definitely had that 'out of nowhere' feel. There should have been a rematch.....or twelve.

*This ran longer than expected. Don't feel like writing any more tonight. So tomorrow we'll visit something I never knew existed until a few hours ago....

Rick Rude does All Japan!

And probably more 90s WCW

vCash
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why Real Man's Man Regal is one of the worst things of all time. Granted, the theme song was incredible, but nobody wanted to see Regal as anything other than a fancy boy. Now, I didn't want to see Regal in any capacity, but his 12 WCW fans certainly didn't want to see English Paul Bunyan, or whatever the fuck that was.

Boone hits a great sunset flip. Seriously. Who the hell hits a great sunset flip? I didn't even know there could be such a thing as a great sunset flip before this match. Like how could such a thing exist? A sunset flip is a sunset flip, amirite? But Boone's is better than the norm.
    GOAT sunset flip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87xdVuLcrJc&t=118s

First one I think of, anyway.

vCash
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore View Post
    That was a stellar sunset flip.

Here is the challenger.

https://youtu.be/5VCW7xxi-yg?t=1m28s

Thread Information