Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are you reading?

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are you reading?

Just finished Petty: The Biography by Warren Zanes. I knew 90% of it, but Petty actually talks about his heroin addiction. Warren used to be in a band called The Del Fuegos from Boston. They toured with Petty and the Heartbreakers.

I'm about to start The Vinyl Detective: Written In Dead Wax by Andrew Cartmel

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems every heroin story is similar. First times -amazing, chasing that high- kinda sucks, addiction - worst thing ever, near death experience- closest you ever got to that first high, withdrawal - slight less horrible than the full blown addiction. From William Burroughs Junky forward this seems to be the recipe. I have to admit every time they are explaining the first highs on a drug like heroin or meth I kinda want to try it. Then the next 100 pages of god awful experiences kills that.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Theend View Post
    Seems every heroin story is similar. First times -amazing, chasing that high- kinda sucks, addiction - worst thing ever, near death experience- closest you ever got to that first high, withdrawal - slight less horrible than the full blown addiction. From William Burroughs Junky forward this seems to be the recipe. I have to admit every time they are explaining the first highs on a drug like heroin or meth I kinda want to try it. Then the next 100 pages of god awful experiences kills that.
    I know and agree with what you're saying, but that's not how Petty talks about it. He knew he was becoming a junkie, couldn't stop himself (of course), but went through a different kind of rehab. His initial treatment put him out for a couple days and was given medication daily that helped the DTs and eventually cleared the haze. I'm sure it was very expensive, because as far as rehabs...I've never heard of this. Yeah, heroin is no good...I can't put into words how bad it really is. Petty was watching his bass player (Howie Epstein) slowly die from heroin addiction and he still went, yeah, that's a good idea.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VonTroll View Post
    Reading The Stand and Salem's Lot aren't necessary, there's just some characters from them that pop up in The Dark Tower series (and they give a pretty solid recap of Salem's Lot when you meet Father Callahan). I do recommend reading King's short story "Low Men in Yellow Coats" from his collection "Hearts In Atlantis" either before or after you read the last book.
    I have Hearts In Atlantis and read it a couple of years ago. I remember some Dark Tower hints being present in that book. I'll definitely re-read that short story when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    If you want a real book on persuasion, Influence: Science and Practice by Cialdini is the book to get. He is the leading scholar on the psychology of persuasion. Douglas Rushkoff's Coercion is great as well and details more of how people play dirty with persuasion. Neither book is political.
    I've read Cialdini's Influence. Fascinating book. I second that recommendation.

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are reading How to be Right for anything beyond entertainment, you wasted your money.

If you want a real book on persuasion, Influence: Science and Practice by Cialdini is the book to get. He is the leading scholar on the psychology of persuasion. Douglas Rushkoff's Coercion is great as well and details more of how people play dirty with persuasion. Neither book is political.
    Or you will learn something about the racist left. I like opinions, not persuasion. I prefer intellect over indoctrination.
    Making PW great again!

Making snow angels The Main Event's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently I just started The Innocent by Harlan Coben...still too early to give an opinion, but it was highly recommended.

I've also been chipping away at Body Mind Mastery to work on my mental strength. Next up will be a biography on Peter Jennings. Biographies are my favorite genre, love to learn about interesting people.

THIS AWWWWWWESOME BANNER MADE BY SPIKE

I'M BACK BAYBAY!!!

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Wyoming View Post
    Or you will learn something about the racist left. I like opinions, not persuasion. I prefer intellect over indoctrination.
    You really need to reread this and your last post and reconsider what you have said.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HR View Post
    I'm getting to the end of This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. I hadn't heard of it before but my girlfriend said she'd seen the movie (which she didn't rate) but I think it's a story that works far better as a book. If you've read any Nick Hornby novels, Tropper writes in quite a similar style - masculine, stream of consciousness, very funny but quite puerile. It's been enjoyable and given me quite a few lol moments which is rare for a book - but a rather depressing reflection on relationships!

If you really enjoyed "This is where I leave you", then you'll definitely enjoy reading "Everything Changes" by Tropper.

Otherwise John Green has quite a few books that are good in relation to the teenager coming of age before college theme.

I commute to work everyday an hour there and back so I listen to a lot of audio books. Need something that requires less focus so usually I listen to a lot of crime or mystery novels like Stuart Woods, John Grisham and right now I'm listening too "Spartan Gold" by Clive Cussler.

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am about half way through Free Will by Sam Harris.
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished Luke Skywalker Can't Read
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What If We're Wrong- Chuck Klosterman
    I am your God

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm currently re-reading "The Source" by James Michener. He is the master of historical fiction and I find this to be his best work. Really gives great insight into Israel/Palestine and the formations of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's been about six months since this thread was posted in last. What's everyone read in that time?

The last two novels I read were Stephen King's Salem's Lot and Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts (Thanks @Engel). I liked Salem's Lot but it became markedly less interesting once it became clear that vampires were roaming around. There was something more satisfying about the mystery of it all. However I really liked the way the spread of the vampire population and its subsequent effect on the small town was detailed, even if I had lost a bit of interest in the actions of the protagonists. It ranks somewhere in the middle of all the King books I've read. Reverend Callahan's exit was unusually ambiguous, but if I wasn't told here then I wouldn't have suspected he is to appear in King's future work, much less The Dark Tower series. A Head Full of Ghosts is a wonderul horror novel. It had me creeped out at points and the story felt fresh despite it being a self-conscious retread of the classic demon possession/exorcism tale. I especially liked the clarity of the descriptive writing. Often I find it hard to imagine characters and settings as the author intended (perhaps due to a lack of imagination), but I had no problems at all with Tremblay's writing, and it really added to the scariness of the book.

I've also been popping to my local bookstore quite regularly and browsing some of the classic literature. Mostly short stories. Read a couple of Sherlock Holmes stories. A Study in Scarlet and...I don't remember the second. Both were excellent. I'll probably buy the whole collection at some point. Also read a couple of HG Wells' stories. The Time Machine and The Island of Dr. Moreau. Both are fasctinating, wonderfully imaginative tales. The Time Machine especially. He has a very original take on what could lie ahead in the distant future. The final bookstore book is The Woman In Black by Susan Hill. Before reading that I would have had Tremblay's book as the best horror book I've ever read, but Susan Hill quickly overtook. It's dark, sinister, tense, horrific, and has the most evil ending imaginable. I was visibly shaken in the bookstore after reading the final words.

vCash
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I own the entire Sherlock Holmes collection. Read a good bit, but never finished. Gonna re-read that soon.

Big thanks to Surrender!

PW Accolades

Spoiler

vCash
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: What are you reading?

I recently re-read Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles (the first 5 plus Blood & Gold) and then read her new ones Prince Lestat and Prince Lestat & The Realms of Atlantis. The old ones were even better than I remembered, I can't recommend them enough. The newer ones weren't as good. There's some good ideas in there, her style is still solid, and it's always nice to visit these characters, but it just feels like she's reaching to keep it going.I then read a couple biographies Lou's On First (by his daughter Christine Costello) and Johnny Carson (by his old lawyer Henry Bushkin). Both were interesting. Lou's book wasn't particularly well written but both gave interesting insights into these comedians.I just started re-reading Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King. I love his short stories.

vCash
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been slacking big time of late. I've had Man In The High Castle by Philip K. Dick sitting around for months but have barely begun.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just wrapped up The Jordan Rules, which is an enlightening look back at just how hard it was to be a teammate of Michael Jordan's before they won any titles.

Tetris Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

vCash
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been working my way through the books of Michael Connelly, picked one up at random in a bookstore which just happened to be his most recent release The Wrong Side Of Goodbye and was quite hooked. I'm now reading the crossing

In between those I picked up a book about Katherine Knight, Australias worst female killer. It's called Bloodstain and it's all about her life, what made her the way she was and the truly terrible crime she committed, it wasn't just murder. Stick her name in Wikipedia and read if you want to feel naseous.

A ton and a half of credit to Rad for this superb artwork

Quote Originally Posted by The Miz
    I'd rather you all hate me for everything I am than love me for something i'm not
    Days Oncall has left to use his MITB Contract: 363

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woman in Black was amazing. Head Full of Ghosts was a trip. It seemed at times rehashed, but when you thought you got a feel for it, it added new things.

The first three Vampire Chronicles were fantastic, and I did like Memnoch. Not a huge fan of Body Thief, or the new ones. Memnoch to me should have been the end.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lamb...yeah it's an uncomfortable read but engaging and haunting.

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rereading Little Star by Lindqvist (Let The Right One In). Really hope one day this gets made into a movie. It is captures the internet culture of blogs and viral videos so well. Also utterly terrifying how Alien Theres is. A lot of the same themes from Let The Right One In return, such as bullying and social isolation. The ending seems out of left field when I read it the first time, but it would work in film.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oncall View Post
    In between those I picked up a book about Katherine Knight, Australias worst female killer. It's called Bloodstain and it's all about her life, what made her the way she was and the truly terrible crime she committed, it wasn't just murder. Stick her name in Wikipedia and read if you want to feel naseous.
    If you like true crime with crazy women, look into Amelia Dyer, Angel Maker by Allison Vale/Rattle. Fast read about one of the most prolific serial killers in history.

@Foos

vCash
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really need to reread this and your last post and reconsider what you have said.
    Or you could read "Not Cool" and learn something other than what you have been indoctrinated to. Think for yourself, don't just accept what you are told!
    Making PW great again!

Snake Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't started a book in a couple of months but the last book I read was "Sully" about the flight in the Hudson. Really interesting book. I went in, obviously, for the details of the incident itself but you end up absorbed in his entire story and a pilot's career.

2013 TBG Poster of the Year

Scotland, Celtic and FC Basel
    CELTIC (SPFL CHAMPIONS 2013/14)
    FC BASEL (SSL CHAMPIONS 2013/2014; SWISS CUP FINALISTS)

vCash
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reading Floodpath about the largest man made disaster in the US and the making of modern day LA.
    I am your God

Thread Information