Thread: Dragon Quest

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dragon Quest

Video Games
    Dragon Quest - Nintendo Entertainment System - 1986 (Japan); 1989 (USA)
    Dragon Quest II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line - Nintendo Entertainment System - 1987 (Japan); 1990 (USA)
    Dragon Quest III: The Seeds of Salvation - Nintendo Entertainment System - 1988 (Japan); 1992 (USA)
    Dragon Quest IV: Chapter of the Chosen - Nintendo Entertainment System - 1990 (Japan); 1992 (USA)
    Dragon Quest V: Hands of the Heavenly Blade - Super Famicon - 1992 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation - Super Famicon - 1995 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past - Sony Playstation 1 - 2000 (Japan); 2001 (USA)
    Dragon Quest XIII - Journey of the Cursed King - Sony Playstation 2 - 2004 (Japan); 2005 (USA); 2006 (Europe)
    Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - Nintendo DS - 2009 (Japan); 2010 (USA); 2010 (Europe)
    Dragon Quest X - Nintendo Wii - 2012 (Japan)

Dragon Quest Monsters Series
    Dragon Quest Monsters - Game Boy Colour - 1998 (Japan); 1999 (Europe); 2000 (USA)
    Dragon Quest Monsters II - Game Boy Colour - 2001 (Japan); 2001 (USA)
    Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart - Game Boy Advance - 2003 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker - Nintendo DS - 2006 (Japan); 2007 (USA); 2008 (Europe)
    Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker II - Nintendo DS - 2010 (Japan); 2011 (USA); 2011 (Europe)
    Dragon Quest Monsters: Wanted! - Mobile - 2010 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker III - Nintendo 3DS - 2016 (Japan)

Mystery Dungeon Series

Torneko no Daiboken: Fushigi no Dungeon - Super Famicon - 1993 (Japan)
    Torneko: The Last Hope - Sony Playstation 1 - 1999 (Japan); 2000 (USA)
    Dragon Quest Characters: Torneko no Daiboken 3: Fushigi no Dungeon - Sony Playstation 2 - 2002 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest: Shonen Yangus to Fushigi no Dungeon - Sony Playstation 2 - 2006 (Japan)

Slime Series
    Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest: Shogekki no Shippo Dan - Game Boy Advance - 2003 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime - Nintendo DS - 2005 (Japan); 2006 (USA)
    Slime MoriMori Dragon Quest 3: Taikaizoku to Shippo Dan - Nintendo 3DS - 2011 (Japan)

Itadaki Series
    Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Special - Sony Playstation 2 - 2004 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Portable - Sony Playstation Portable - 2006 (Japan)
    Itadaki Street DS - Nintendo DS - 2007 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy in Itadaki Street Mobile - Mobile - 2011 (Japan)
    Itadaki Street Wii - Nintendo Wii - 2011

Monster Battle Road
    Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road - Arcade - 2007 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Road II - Arcade - 2009 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest: Battle Road Victory - Nintendo Wii - 2010 (Japan)

Other
    Kenshin Dragon Quest: Yomigaerish Densetsu no Ken - TV Game - 2003 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors - Nintendo Wii - 2007 (Japan); 2008 (USA & Europe)
    Dragon Quest Wars - Nintendo DSi - 2009
    Dragon Quest Monster Parade - Web Browser - 2013 (Japan)
    Theatrhythm Dragon Quest - Nintendo 3DS - 2015 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and Blight Below - Sony Playstation 3/4 - 2015
    Hoshi no Dragon Quest - Mobile - 2015 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest Builders - Sony Playstation 3/4/Vita - 2016 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest Heroes II: Futago no O to Yogen no Owari - Sony Playstation 3/4/Vita - 2016

Remakes
    Dragon Quest I + II - Super Famicon - 1993 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest III - Super Famicon - 1996 (Japan)
    BS Dragon Quest - Satellaview - 1998 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest I & II - Game Boy Colour - 1999 (Japan); 2000 (USA)
    Dragon Quest III - Game Boy Colour - 2000 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest IV - Sony Playstation 1 - 2001 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest V - Sony Playstation 2 - 2004 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest IV - Nintendo DS - 2007 (Japan); 2008
    Dragon Quest V - Nintendo DS - 2008 (Japan); 2009
    Dragon Quest VI - Nintendo DS - 2010 (Japan); 2011
    Dragon Quest Collection: 25th Anniversary - Nintendo Wii - 2011 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest VII - Nintendo 3DS - 2013 (Japan); 2016
    Dragon Quest VIII - Nintendo 3DS - 2015 (Japan); 2016

Upcoming
    Dragon Quest XI - Sony Playstation 4 & Nintendo 3DS - 2016 (Japan)
    Dragon Quest: Monster Battle Scanner - 2016 (Japan)

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dragon Quest

One of, if not THE greatest series of Japanese Role-Playing Games on the market. It's taken awhile for Dragon Quest to find it's footing in the west but after the release of VIII, the series has gained traction and we're starting to see more and more releases. Personally, I can't wait until VII comes out for the 3DS. It never reached our shores and the trailer for it looked very well done. At the moment I'm slowly making my way through VIII on the PS2 and I'm having a blast with it.

How many Dragon Quest fans do we have on PW?

vCash
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greatest overworld theme ever.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."

vCash
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 I've been waiting a long time for. After 6 was released on the DS and it seemed like we weren't getting the next game I was tempted to spend high dollar for a PS1 copy. Glad I didn't. Of course I still need to play 5 and 6 as well. And 9.
    Last edited by Ness; 06-07-2016 at 11:06 PM.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you played through IV then Ness?

I'm considering going through all the DS games. I have the means to play them but unsure if they're the definitive versions or worth the amount of time.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dragon Quest V(ds) and VIII are two of the best games of all time, period, not just RPGs.

IX, IV and VI are also a lot of fun.

I've yet to play 3 but I finally have it now for IOS so I will be soon. The IOS version is the first English version of it ever released over here. It's supposed to be the best of the whole series according to a lot of people

I havnt played VII either and with the 3DS release I'm glad I held out

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A while ago I tried playing the very first Dragon Quest game and it didn't take me long to quit because of all the grinding. I assumed that once you grinded up to a certain point, you wouldn't have to grind that much any more. Watching the Continue? guys play the first Dragon Quest game made me realise how wrong I was. It's a non-stop grind fest, and the amount of grinding required only increases as you progress through the game. The Let's Play series is currently at 31 half hour videos. Well over half of those videos are dedicated to solely grinding while the guys talk about random shit. I doubt that even as a kid I'd have the patience for that

DQ2: same story. DQ4 is the only one of the series I've completed. It's a pretty run-of-the-mill JRPG. The older DQ games with more story (albeit a far from great story) and less grinding. Reasonably fun but nothing spectacular. The average-ness of the game doesn't motivate me to check out later versions, no matter how much people talk about the greatness of later games in the series, so I'm not sure if I ever will to be honest.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IV is the worst one I've played, so it's a shame if you give up on the series due to that.

I would heavily suggest V or VIII, especially VIII since I think it's the most friendly to new audiences. If you don't like that then the series is not for you

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel bad that it's taken me this long to get back in the series.

I actually bought VIII when it was relatively new. I got it for a steal (something like 50% off with a guide only a few months after it's initial release), played a few hours of it, enjoyed it but put it aside for Guitar Hero. All anybody wanted to play was Guitar Hero, so I didn't get back into VIII until years later and by that point SMT: Persona 4 had just come out. The poor series never stood a chance.

I'm really enjoying my playthrough of VIII so far. I'm so used to rushing through games, referring to walkthroughs that it almost feels like I'm following a recipe than playing a game. With DQ, I'm so enamoured with the world and the music that I find myself taking it all in. Where as Persona 3 & 4 feels incredibly intense with blood and shadows haunting every room I encounter, DQ I'm on a quest in this rich and vibrant land. It all sounds a little cheesy but video games are an escape and I think DQ provides a very pleasant one.

10 hours in so far and find myself at Simpleton. Just about to add a new member to the party, but in the mean time I feel like exploring the area further and getting my characters equipped. I'm not sure what lies ahead, but I enjoy facing off against the overworld monsters and all the boss fights so far have been a ton of fun.

Was VIII everybody's introduction to the series? Did anyone get Dragon Warrior from Nintendo Power back in the day?

vCash
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno if 8 was my first (I may have at least sampled I & II for the GBC beforehand) but like FF7 it was my gateway game into really getting into the series. I'm sure there's plenty of parallels between FF7 and DQ8 in regards to where it took their series and how it changed things from the early titles.

I think 4 was the last one I completed. I did start 5 and this was a few years ago and I just wasn't in the mood for another 50 hour JRPG. So I think I stopped 30 minutes in and haven't touched it since then. The idea of playing 7 has me interested again. Luckily 3DS can play DS games, so it won't be difficult.

Hey Emp how did you end up playing DQ? Was it on the NES? Later installments (specifically the release on the Gameboy) they minimized the grinding. Made it where you earn more exp/gold in battles so you're not doing it as long. But it's still a grindfest. I can see why that turns people off JRPGs. That was a selling point when I first got into the genre. "It lasts a long time... so it's worth every penny" - Not necessarily when you're not enjoying 20 hours of just battling.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dragon Warrior (as we called it back in my day) was my favorite NES series. I loved those games. Well, I & III anyway. II annoyed me because I could never find my way through the cave right before the end of the game.

In spite of hypetastic images such as this....

I never actually played IV. But I did watch some guy on Youtube play it a few months ago. I think that's the first (and only) time I have ever done that.

I'll write more later, maybe. I'm trying to cut down on the storytime stuff.

But....

Dragon. Warrior.

Is something I can write a lot about.

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ness View Post
    Hey Emp how did you end up playing DQ? Was it on the NES? Later installments (specifically the release on the Gameboy) they minimized the grinding. Made it where you earn more exp/gold in battles so you're not doing it as long. But it's still a grindfest. I can see why that turns people off JRPGs. That was a selling point when I first got into the genre. "It lasts a long time... so it's worth every penny" - Not necessarily when you're not enjoying 20 hours of just battling.
    I emulated the original NES version. That's how I roll. I can still see DQ being grindier than any other RPG out there even with boosted exp/gold.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just a newbie to the series so I can't really vouch for it at the moment. From my experience so far, the game is about as strict as Persona 3 and 4. The difference is that Persona 3 and 4 restrict you to a certain environment while DQ is more of an adventure. Have you ever played a Level 5 game before Emp? Ni No Kuni, Dark Cloud or Rogue Galaxy? The game reminds me a lot of Ni No Kuni. Similar atmosphere, interface and modes. If you're familiar with that style then maybe you'll check out 8 since they were brought on board to revitilise the series ala Retro Studios and various Nintendo IPs.

Bake - What was the reception to Dragon Warrior when it came out? Did the menu system confuse all the Legend of Zelda, Castlevania and Faxanadu fanboys? Were there any Final Fantasy v Dragon Warrior rivalries back in the day? I'm curious about this stuff because where I come from JRPGs didn't seem to have a following until Final Fantasy VII hit the scene.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Bake - What was the reception to Dragon Warrior when it came out? Did the menu system confuse all the Legend of Zelda, Castlevania and Faxanadu fanboys? Were there any Final Fantasy v Dragon Warrior rivalries back in the day? I'm curious about this stuff because where I come from JRPGs didn't seem to have a following until Final Fantasy VII hit the scene.
    I'd call the Dragon Warrior series a minor hit here in the US. It was nowhere near as big as your Mario's, Zelda's, or even Castlevania's, and it was certainly not as popular here as in Japan (I want to say I knew DW was super popular in Japan even before I got on the internet), but it was bigger than say a Faxanadu (which I never played) or a Chrysalis. The fight menu did take some getting used to and having to hit "STAIRS/STEPS" to use the stairs was pretty much the worst thing ever. There probably was a rivalry between Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy fans. That's definitely a thing I can see happening. But I personally wasn't aware of any rivalry. Then again, even the Genesis vs. Super Nintendo feud never really came to the strange shores of Overlea, Maryland. We just wanted to play cool games. We didn't care what system they were on. This wasn't serious business like, say, WWF vs. WCW My only real link to the wider gaming world was Nintendo Power and the occasional cheat book, and it's not like NP was always taking veiled shots at 'that other company,' or DW fans wrote passionate letters about the superiority of their game while downplaying the merits of Final Fantasy.

JRPG's were more of a cult following thing here. Like you could find fans (the original Final Fantasy was pretty big, for example) but the average gamer of the day had little time for all that grinding and confusion (these games were nearly impossible without buying the guide books). I probably would have thrown in the towel on the original DW myself after getting bogged down in the Grave of Garinham had this dude Jay not come over to show me the way.

Dragon Warrior III was the most in depth game I had ever played at the time. It was vast in scope with multiple characters, classes, sailing, two worlds, a swerve ending, tons of items, even more monsters, and a detailed map you would have been lost without. I thought it was pretty much the greatest thing ever. I can also see why it never got super popular here. It's depth likely turned off many people.

It's worth mentioning that I replayed the end of Dragon Warrior about five or six years ago. Keep in mind I probably hadn't played the game in ten years. Dragonlord's castle is not easy to navigate. Well, I got through it without a misstep on my very first try. The point of this? NES is like riding a bike. Once you've learned you don't forget.

vCash
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Continue? completed Dragon Quest at last! Video in the spoiler tags.

Spoiler

I would have never got there on my own, but it was fun seeing these guys trawl through the game. The game's conclusion is pretty epic for NES standards. You get to travel back to the castle in a world free of random encounters. You get offered a kingship (which makes no sense, but whatever), but refuse it and instead get to travel the world with the princess! Great success.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past scheduled for a September 2016 release in the West.

September 17th 2016 for Australia.

Here's the trailer for anyone who hasn't seen it:

Spoiler

It looks amazing. As HF was saying, since these games received such a limited release in the west, they almost feel like brand new releases. I barely know anything about this game, so seeing all these different classes (slime?!) compels me to free up my gaming schedule and make DQ7 my game from September --> November before the new Pokemon titles arrive and I go ape over them.

I'm catching up on this thread. With my copy of DQ8 acting up (hopefully it's fixed) I sort of put everything on hold. Bake, here's the thing I don't understand. What compelled you to play Dragon Warrior as a youngster? As you eluded to, DW isn't the type of game that lends itself to the west, especially back in the late 80s/early 90s where people seemed more active and less prone to sitting infront of a screen all-day. Was it Nintendo Power? Or just word of mouth? I know that from my experience, it was my neighbours who sold me on the entire genre. I have no idea what those guys are up to, but the way they'd put over the Final Fantasy and Pokemon series suggests they would have made a killing in the marketing industry.

Emp, that's sweet. I'm going to check the series out as I play through DQ8. I watched through Part 1, but it seemed like they were just doing all the house-keeping and just getting themselves back into the groove of another long JRPG journey. As somebody who considers themselves a fan of the Normal Boots network, I'm sure it will be a fun series to stay in touch with. Especially now that I've wiped out a lot of other Let's Plays from my subscribed list.

vCash
    Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    Bake, here's the thing I don't understand. What compelled you to play Dragon Warrior as a youngster? As you eluded to, DW isn't the type of game that lends itself to the west, especially back in the late 80s/early 90s where people seemed more active and less prone to sitting infront of a screen all-day. Was it Nintendo Power? Or just word of mouth?
    That's a good question. I'm not really sure of the answer. Probably Nintendo Power. It definitely wasn't word of mouth. The two people I knew who played it strongly disliked it. Yet I remember being fanatical about getting it. Like I HAD to play this game. My brother and I usually went in on games together but he was opposed to getting DW because our neighbor rented it one weekend and the two of them found it impossibly hard. For example my brother thought the lowly Magician was like the biggest badass in all of NES But I wouldn't take no for an answer. So it was likely a cool article in Nintendo Power or perhaps one of those NES guidebooks I'd look at from time to time that brainwashed me into NEEDING to play this game.

vCash
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it confirmed that DQ11 will come to the US on PS4?
    Read my essay on why, for the past 10 years wrestling sucks.

http://8bitelbowsmash.blogspot.com/2...planation.html

Middle of Nowhere (By way of Cleveland, City of Kings and Champions.)
    vCash
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not confirmed, but likely.

Not on the level of FF or Persona for me, but the few I have played I have liked. I especially loved 8.

2x PW Power 25 Winner

Currently Playing - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild and NBA 2K17

PW Game of the Year 2016 - Voting now open.

vCash
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think I refell in love with the series thanks to DQ Heroes. Such a great game and found it so much more fun than Hyrule Warriors. Then again I got stuck on a Bombuchu level and gave up before the half-way point.

vCash
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had Dragon Quest IX on 3DS & really enjoyed. I didn't get very far, but definitely enjoyed what little I played of it.

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

57 hours in Dragon Quest VIII.....

I'm having such a wonderful time with it. To me, this game is everything I want out of a JRPG. Complex battle system, rewarding side-quests, vast environments littered with treasure, interesting enemies and a well paced story. Even the little things like being able to cast 'Zoom' and teleport to whatever town you want to is one of those additions that so many games lack.

Story-wise, I just defeated Dhoulmagus, but the group learned that there is an even bigger enemy called Rhapthorne. He's a little like Voldemort in the sense that his soul is trapped and he requires a vessal to have any say. So he's cursed this powerful staff and we're constantly going from town to town, chasing after target to target trying to get a hold of the staff.

It's simple stuff but like the Last of Us, it's not so much the story itself but the way it's told that makes it so captivating.

A good example of this is in Arcadia where you come across this self-absorbed mean spirited mage. Since Rhapthorne is on a quest to destroy all the powerful sages in the realm, you assume that he's the next target. However after a couple of developments, you access a secret library where you as a player of your own volition discover that it was actually a lowly servant who holds the power, but even he doesn't know it. The way the game relays that information is great and instead of just forcing that exposition on you, it just plays out and comes off as a fun discovery for the player and makes the servant's death that more tragic.

Right now, I'm back in Orkutsk after saving this Herb Specialist from a pack of wolves. I'm currently on the chase of this Wolf-Dog who was possessed by Rhapthorne. This is probably the one section of the game where it feels like we had to check something off the quota. So here's the Snow World that just about every JRPG has to have. I understand why and to be fair, Orkutsk is one of the better designed towns in the game but it does feel like padding.

Fortunately the game is so good that it doesn't matter to me. I could easily see myself spending another forty hours on it before I move on, especially if I get really into the Monster Colosseum which is essentially Pokemon except with Dragon Quest monsters.

Admittedly I'm teetering on whether I should buy VII or not. On one hand, it's meant to be one of the best entries in the series with a ton of game time. On the other, I'm hesitant of buying remakes and with so many games on their way (Pokemon Moon, Final Fantasy XV, The Last Guardian, Legend of Zelda: Breadth of the Wild, Persona 5 among others) I want to save my cash, especially since I haven't upgraded to the current generation of consoles (we all know that the Wii U doesn't count).

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

33 hours later, and I'm finished.

That's right, after 90 hours, I finally defeated Lord Rhapthorne and saved the world from his tyranny.

Allow me to walk you through the rest of my playthrough.

So I finished up the events at Orkutsk, where poor Marta met her ends at the hands of Leopold who was possessed by the spirit of Rhapthorne. You wouldn't think it, but the game was filled with little emotional punches through out and watching Marta's son deal with the regret of spending little time with her and her loyal dog watch on was far more effective than it had any right to be. Fortunately, I was awarded the ultimate key which meant that I had access to every single chest the game had to offer. So one play session was basically spent visiting places I knew had these locked treasure chests. Since I wanted everything, I did consult the guide after I claimed all the chests I could recall. I actually had most of them, the only one I had forgotten about was in the hidden wing of the Argonian Castle, which I had stumbled upon before, but completely forgot about. It was really rewarding as well since the majority of equipment I received was vastly better than what I had.

Then it was off to Pirate Cove. The cool part about this was that the game gives you little sense of direction. You're basically forced to talk to your partners who inform you about Savella Cathedral. I'd been there earlier when I had just acquired the ship, but there wasn't much to do and I was wondering when it would come into play. Finally go over there and the first NPC I talk to tells me about this hidden area that I should check out. I wasn't sure if that was the next objective or not, I asked around some more, but since nothing was popping up, I went on his advice.

As it turns out, that was the right thing to do and I found myself at the next dungeon of the game. I made short work of Pirate Cove, defeated Captain Crow with ease and received a sea chart that held my next location. This was really cool, as you go where the map tells you to, and then a magical pathway spawns that you have to follow with your ship. That path leads directly into this inaccessible continent which you somehow end inside of.

This was the land of Empycchu, a tropical island that is under attack by the god-bird. Something about that didn't seem right, in Marta's secret cave, we learned that the God Bird would be a vital ally against Rhapthorne. Something was amissed and we had to go investigate. Anyways, we found the god-bird's shadow over by the sacred rock, it led us to this dark portal which contained a parrellel dimension where everything was shrouded in darkness. We went back to the sacred rock and wouldn't you know, there was the god bird, which looked like a giant raven crossed with a falcon. Remember how I said Captain Crow was easy? Empyrea was a shock to the system. Despite having all the equipment and being well-trained, Empyrea was still a tough struggle as she had insane defence and the ability to one-shot party members. I still managed to beat her first try, but I put it down to being a level or two above where you should be and my equips.

Anyways, as it turns out, my suspicions were correct, Empyrea is actually on our side. The problem is, her baby is being held captive and she's being blackmailed to follow orders. She asks the party to take care of business, which led to our next dungeon and a boss fight against Gemon. From here on until the final boss fight, most of the boss battles were relatively easy. I'd just follow the strategy of getting Yangus to use Helm Splitter (weakens the defence of enemies), cast a few buffs with Jessica & Angelo then go to town with Angelo (and sometimes Hero) casting cures if need be. Anyways, I defeat Geomon, this three-eyed griffin but the bastard took Empyrea's child along with it. In a bittersweet moment, the spirit of the child lived on, becoming the party's defacto air-ship but it was another gut-punch all the same.

After raiding both dimensions for loot (each dimension had unique items, so that made exploring a ton of fun) I decided to make good use of my new means of transport. This was about the time where I started using the guide more, since I was so close to the end of the game, I wanted to make sure I visited all the locations I could. I'm glad I did consult the guide, because I learned about one place that is basically the best place to grind at. It's affectionally referred to as Slime Hill, where only Slimes spawn, including rare slimes like Metal King Slime. Defeating one Metal King Slime grants your party with 30K Experience, so you better believe I spent an hour or two just grinding at this place.

This probably made the game way too easy, but I wanted to explore what the game had to offer and this is just the way I like to play JRPGs. Anyways, after I was finished exploring, it was off to my next location Tyran Gully. This was one of those places that I had to use the guide for in order to locate. I had no sense of direction after the events of Empycchu, so I have no idea how I would have located it in-game. Maybe you're supposed to ask the fortune teller in Farbury? Anyways, I arrive there and this place was really cool. It's basically a settlement by this giant water-fall where monsters and humans live together. As such, I got to use Trodain as my player avatar and watch his hilarious run cycle where he holds his arms up in the air as he runs. Anyways, it's here we're able to get a radar on Rhapthorne's location, so we follow that to his next location, Savealla Cathedral.

Before we go there, I should mention while I was exploring in the air, I took the time to unlock the Casino at Baccarat. I just remembered that I never went back there after I learned the head of the casino had died and thought enough time had passed for things to change. I was right, and I had another side-quest dungeon to complete. The goal of the side-quest was to help one of the bratty siblings in this trial to see who would become the rightful heir of the casino. As it turns out, they both agreed to do it, but not after a boss battle that was surprisingly difficult. I managed to beat it, but I couldn't just sleep-walk through it like I thought I'd be able to.

So back to the main story. I followed Sir Leopold to Savealla Cathedral where he attacked and murdered the high priest. We defeated him and ended up being thrown into purgatory. Purgatory was just a mess of cut-scenes, the whole thing seemed like a bit of padding, but I like the character development it had for a side-character. You sort of think that he's a self-absorbed guy trying to weasel his way into becoming the high priest, but he makes a very noble sacrifice to allow you to escape. Again, it was another cool moment.

After we escaped, it was off to Neos, another town I was familiar with since it had Gold Golems and they'd been my go-to if I wanted to get more money. We go there, only to witness the rebirth of Rhapthorne and face off against Angelo's jealous half-brother Marcello. Defeated him, watched thousands of people perish in Neos and witnessed the resurrection of the Black Citadel.

The Citadel felt like a suitable last dungeon. It was huge, littered with some of the toughest enemies and best equips in the game but it was a little cliche for a JRPG. I was a little disappointed in it, until I came across the second half. There's this cool trick room, that seems designed like it's a town, only you realise more and more it's actually just this prison as you continue to explore it. After running circles around the place, watching it decay more and more, we're finally up to the boss room.

Time to take on Rhapthorne and from the outset, you just know this boss is going to come in multiple forms. I've seen enough DBZ to recognise how Toriyama designs his characters, Rhapthorne looks like a guy who hasn't grown into his body. For the most part this was an easy fight, but I made some mistakes along the way. The equip I gave Jessica gave her a chance to reflect magic, which meant there were a few cure spells that didn't hit her so she died on one occasion and I got hit with a curse which made life difficult on another occasion. I didn't have any items on my characters, so I was vulnerable in that regard. Fortunately despite my lax preparation, I was still too good and was able to make my escape through the dungeon.

As expected, Rhapthorne transformed into this giant genie type creature, threatened to destroy us until Empyrea saved the day. It was at this point, I was up to the final save point in the game. This is usually the best part of any JRPG as you get access to all the side-quests and other goodies. I decided I really needed to give myself the best shot at Rhapthorne, so I started making sure all my characters had their best equips. It was around this time I realised that Jessica had a shield I bought her towards the start of the game. I was giving up 40 defence points for no discernable reason right then and there.

So I started going through side-quests I didn't really touch on. I went back to the Monster Arena, a place I hadn't touched since hitting Rank B and finished that off with the OP Team of Talos, Men-At-Arms and Curer. That netted me some nice armour for Jessica.

I then went to the Casino and played hours of Roulette. I didn't really have to do this, but I really dug the atmosphere and it was easy to do while I had stuff playing in the background. I was able to save up 500K in tokens, enabling me to buy some of the best armour and Jessica's best whip.

After everyone was sorted, I took on Rhapthorne.

For me, the first part of the boss fight was infinently harder than the second. During the first part, you have to sacrifice seven turns in order to enter the final part of the fight. That means all your characters have to be alive to do this one command and if any of them die, you have to waste turns reviving them and trying to keep other characters alive. There were two-three occasions where 3 of my characters would execute the command then Rhapthorne would kill off the forth with an attack that would inflict 260 damage in one shot. Fortunately we got through that and from that point on, it was smooth sailing. Yangus got Rhapthorne's defence down, I had Angelo cast Oomph on Yangus and Jessica, and Jessica my feeble mage was inflicting 500+ damage with her whip. We made short work of him and before you know it, I was playing through the epilogue and eventually to the credits.

Apparently there's more post-game content, content that answers a couple of questions that were left hanging. That's pretty sweet, but from what I understand, the boss' are a little like the Ozmas, Omega Dragons etc. of the world where you've got to spend a few hours preparing the side. For now, I'm going to put the game down. I had a blast playing it, but I sort of feel like I need to give it a week or two before I get into the post-game grindy stuff.

Overall, very few games ever live up to the hype. I've been well aware that DQ8 was a great game for over a decade, but I didn't think I'd come out of it with the level of appreciation I'd have. This is the game that I've been after for years and what would you know? It's been in my possession for ten years. Not only did I appreciate my time with DQ, it also allows me to enjoy FF games more as a compliment. For a long time, it used to bother me how crazy and out-there FF could be. I never understood why they couldn't just stick with the Final Fantasy IV type vibe. However, DQ has that niche covered, so I really appreciate the ambition of Final Fantasy that much more.

It's a great game, a great adventure, any JRPG fans who have yet to play it owe it to themselves to pick up the 3DS version when it comes out next year.

vCash
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And VII 3DS is getting great reviews, can't wait to pick it up and put 100 hours into it

vCash
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's sort of a shame that I timed my DQ8 playthrough when I did. Had I played it a year ago, I would have been chomping at the bit for a huge adventure. However as it stands, I could hold off from buying the game for a few months and hope that it goes on sale around Christmas.

That's unless one of the major retailers knocks $20 off the RRP. Big W is usually good for those sorts of sales, but I haven't heard anything. I get the feeling that it maybe too niche to attract that sort of deal, Target isn't even stocking it down here, so I may have to live with the $60 price tag.

Either way, DQ7 will be apart of my collection.

I just wish Square Enix would release an awesome 30 year anniversary game. Or at least try to put their games on Steam/PSN/Nintendo. I could easily play through those games, but I want to reward them for their efforts.

Thread Information