Thread: Dragon Quest

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dragon Quest

Dragon Quest 3 is almost universally regarded as the best before 8 came along, and it's on IOS. You might want to give that a try if you have access to it

It was a huge step up from the brutally, brutally archaic 1 and 2

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easily one of my most anticipated games for the PS4.

vCash
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my God, it is so beautiful.

Flowers gathered in the morning,
    Afternoon they blossom on,
    Still are withered by the evening:
    You can be me when I'm gone.

@Foos

Asteroids Champion! Breakout Champion!
    vCash
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That 3DS double screen gimmick is pretty awesome, but I assume you have the option to turn one of them off? I feel as though if both screens are on at the same time, I'd be unable to focus on just one of them.

vCash
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post

Easily one of my most anticipated games for the PS4.
    Geez; that 3DS version is freaking genius.

vCash
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 3DS looks awesome, but I can't focus on one for long so I hope it can be changed to like a basic map or inventory screen.

PW Tag Team Champion!! HilaryFan's Avatar

vCash
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As awesome as the 3Ds version looks, there's no way I'm not getting that gorgeous PS4 version

( ?_?) - 97% of PW suddenly think Michael Cole is awesome. If you're part of the 3% that still thinks he is an annoying tool, copy & paste this into your sig.

Currently Playing: Suikoden 1, Max Payne 1, Beyond Good and Evil, MGS Peace Walker

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still chugging my way through the Dragvonian Trials in DQ8.

I like how the post-game challenges you to use everything at your disposal. Not only do you need a Monster Team for certain sections in those battles, it's highly recommended you craft a two trimbels of tension so your party receives a nice buff.

So far, I've been making decent progress against the Dragons, but I know I'm coming up against a wall with the Gold Dragon who receives three attacks in a row and can just obliterate you at any moment if he wants to. I'm not sure if I have the patience to sit through a fight like that where one turn could end the battle, so I get the feeling that I'm going to have to grind until I gain access to an attack that essentially wins you every battle.

If that's the case, it's probably going to be at least three months before I'm done with DQ8 for good and can finally move onto 7 but it's worth it. Everytime I load 8 up, I'm just hit with that amazing score that reminds me of the amazing journey I was on. Seriously JRPG lovers need to get their hands on this game, it's an A+.

vCash
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

104 hours in, and I have all the equipment from the Dragovian Trials.

I'm actually surprised it didn't take longer. Before last night's session, I thought I was still weeks away from finishing it but my team was more than ready.

What I enjoyed about these Dragovian Trials is that they felt like a true test of your abilities as a player. Not only did you have to have the best equipment, but you also needed to know how to use Monster Teams. For those uninitiated, DQ8 has a Pokemon like mechanic where you go around the world, challenge monsters that appear on the overworld and recruit them to your team. While they're essential for a side-quest in the game, they also double as a vital decoy mechanic in battles. In addition, the game allows you to carry two teams, allowing you to be more strategic. One of the most popular strats is to carry a team made up of durable monsters so they can take a hit, and another with healers so they can heal and buff your entire team when you're in a pinch.

I don't think I ever used that mechanic in the main game, but in the post-game it was essential to beat these Dragons. In fact, in the first turn you have to bring them in otherwise your hero will be afflicted with this special attack.

Anyways as it turned out at Level 51, with all the right equipment I was able to make my way through the final Dragons with relative ease. The only Dragon that wiped my party out was the Darksteel Dragon and that's because I played too aggressive. Once I dedicated two of my characters to support, the fight became a lot more manageable and I was able to string enough all or nothing attacks to take him down.

So now I have the Dragovian armour that completely changes the skin of the hero. I really enjoy it when games offer you rewards like that, something tangible to the game that tells you right away that you've completed the hardest side-quest and now have the legendary equipment. It's so much better than changing the main title page like so many other games.

There's still a fair bit to do in order to 'complete' the game, but I'm happy to just take on one extra dungeon and explore some of the easter egg material. I don't think I'll bother with the Ultimate Dragon anytime soon since it doesn't net you any rewards. The only perk of beating the Dragon is that it appears on your monster list, which eventually allows you to equip a 'no encounters' item which is largely unnecessary beyond collecting any missed treasure chests and the like.

After I give myself some time, I'll give Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of Time a crack. I've played through sections of the other save just to check it out and it looks good if not incredibly long and a little slow.

Thread Information